PDA

View Full Version : Condition of the pitch

Stryker
05-23-2010, 04:56 PM
If I had one complaint from this weeks game it'd be the condition of the pitch.
The rolled grass lines are about as straight as Lance Bass and have all the definition of a black and white tube tv from the 60's.
Not to mention the lines looked like they hadn't been repainted since opening day. Is it too much to ask that MLSE hire someone with experience to look after our beloved grass pitch? :(

Sonny Cheeba
05-23-2010, 05:21 PM
jesus fuck....

London
05-23-2010, 05:23 PM
lets just enjoy the win, if the worst thing we have to deal with is grass lines, then ill take it.

and you could not see them from the southend

Bloor West FC
05-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Just came back from the Benfica game and sat in 227 so the view from above seemed pretty good, I had no pitch negatives other than the game sucked balls.

Jeffro
05-23-2010, 05:28 PM
If I had one complaint from yesterday it would be the relish in the little portion packets at the hot dog stand! Unacceptable!

Sonny Cheeba
05-23-2010, 05:29 PM
^i'm with this guy.

BeerBaron95
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
If I had one complaint from yesterday it would be the relish in the little portion packets at the hot dog stand! Unacceptable!

I blame Parkdale.... wait, this is the right thread no ?? lmao

Sonny Cheeba
05-23-2010, 05:40 PM
http://91.121.132.199/gifs/7386.gif

Stryker
05-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Meph... whatever.
Some people don't see a problem with Canadian Tire spinners on a new Benz ethier.

London
05-23-2010, 05:56 PM
^^^ so tfc is a benz??

i would say canadian tire spinners are cool on a chevette:)

BeerBaron95
05-23-2010, 05:57 PM
what can ya do though?? unless its decided that BMO will be TFC games or Academy exclusive... we will have to hope they will hire competent staff that can keep it in pristine shape.

London
05-23-2010, 05:59 PM
they clearly have good staff taking care of the grass.

did you not see the booty on the scotts lawn girl in front of 112-113.

they had to give her a chair this week to keep the hounds off

Bloor West FC
05-23-2010, 06:50 PM
^ and she still never smiled at all throughout the game, I had my eyes on that prize :). It was a nice booty!

stretchthetruth
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
^^ yeah, but imagine what kind of bush she must have...

Batman
05-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I guess in general this is a good news thread.

If we have to dig this deep to find something to whine about... all must be well in TFC land for a change.

Whoop
05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Pitch looked fine today. The only worn spots are where the subs warm up.....

There are like 10-12 people from Scott's at every match.

AL-MO
05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
jesus fuck....

What he said.

James Oliphant
05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1198942619-1198923915356.jpg

DichioTFC
05-23-2010, 07:27 PM
why the hell was there rain. I demand the FO look into the situation.
:facepalm:

Luca
05-23-2010, 08:50 PM
I blame Mo for the rain, quite frankly. He's obviously returned from holidays in Scotland with rain clouds in tow.

DichioTFC
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I blame Mo for the rain, quite frankly. He's obviously returned from holidays in Scotland with rain clouds in tow.

Are you saying Mo made it rain? ;)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nA8t7ZFEOBI/StdNSpYOSCI/AAAAAAAAApA/tm9Vve7RR2c/s400/bill%2Bmartin%2Bmake%2Bit%2Brain%2Bcopy.jpg

nascarguy
05-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Pitch looked fine today. The only worn spots are where the subs warm up.....

There are like 10-12 people from Scott's at every match.
the field was bad after the montreal around the keepers net. But it look great it's good that scotts is there to patch and fix for grass

jazzy
05-24-2010, 12:51 AM
no complaint but loved the soccer goals with hanging ball in the urinals...get to scoooore plenty takin a leak....started the game right

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2010, 01:08 AM
DeVos mentioned on the CBC broadcast when I went back and watched it, that Preki was unhappy with the condition of the pitch - apparently some parts of the field didn't have grass on them, according to DeVos?

I thought the grass looked great. I mean, there was some obvious degradation directly in front of the net, but that's to be expected. Everywhere else looked great from my vantage point.

- Scott

sweetlemon69
05-24-2010, 07:30 AM
just wait until the public leagues start on it....

James17930
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
DeVos mentioned on the CBC broadcast when I went back and watched it, that Preki was unhappy with the condition of the pitch - apparently some parts of the field didn't have grass on them, according to DeVos?

I thought the grass looked great. I mean, there was some obvious degradation directly in front of the net, but that's to be expected. Everywhere else looked great from my vantage point.

- Scott

Huh?

I've been wondering, though -- who's our head grounds-keeper? I kind of expected the club to wheel him/her out on TFC:TV or something, do a 'Meet the Head Groundskeeper' type thing, but so far they haven't.

Razcle
05-24-2010, 01:35 PM
No complaints from the pitch from over here. The divot boys from Scotts was a shock to me at the halftime of the Saturday game, and I thought it was a good way to keep the pitch in top form. I think you have to let the grass settle for more then a year before you can start demanding a perfect pitch. If you've laid grass before you know it takes a bit to root fully and remain tough through the abuse of humans.

Inswingingwingman
05-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I am thinking that we should have goats to eat the pitch with things on their teeth to make it exactly 12 cenTImeters long. This shall be a good thing. I have small balls on the dashboard hanger in my cab and this is amusing me very much. And the addition of a cricket team and vindaloo chicken vendors would ensure that the goat meat is properly used. Thank you and I am pleased to leave now, thankyou, thankyou....goats...that's great..we are laughing a lot with loudness now...I have the small accordion and would be pleased to sit the supporters section and offer chants and prayer chants for goals...do you have good tea?

Now reread it with the proper accent, I shall be telling you it's great fun.....I had an old computer it was a waity waity wait...and ran the dos wery well...

SilverSamurai
05-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Public use of the pitch was actually mentioned during the Canada match. Forrest was saying it should be off limits to pub teams and should be used for special occasions which I completely agree with.

SteeltownBhoy
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
12 hours a week!!!!

That's what, 6 full games of duffing and spiking up the pitch...A WEEK!!!

Tell me how the pitch gets recovery time!!!!

Bloor West FC
05-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Its already dead, We want a new stadium :).

Carts
05-24-2010, 05:41 PM
12 hours a week!!!!

That's what, 6 full games of duffing and spiking up the pitch...A WEEK!!!

Tell me how the pitch gets recovery time!!!!

Thank God its not 12-hours a day...!!!

Seriously though - this is unacceptable, but there appears to be shit-all MLSE can do about it due to the City of Toronto having control of the facility...

I wonder how much 'profit' the city makes from these rentals - and is it a significantly small enough amount that MLSE can step up, and pay that directly to the city to keep the pitch clear to recover...

I know, I'm dreaming saying that - but I can't think of anything else...

I'm happy Forrest laid into the fact the pitch is being used. Get it out there and get it in the media to maybe, hopefully apply some pressure...

Carts...

jazzy
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
only way it is going to improve is, hate say it, they are going to have to build a full use practice facility, and pro field is off limits to everyone else.

SilverSamurai
05-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Thank God its not 12-hours a day...!!!

Seriously though - this is unacceptable, but there appears to be shit-all MLSE can do about it due to the City of Toronto having control of the facility...

I wonder how much 'profit' the city makes from these rentals - and is it a significantly small enough amount that MLSE can step up, and pay that directly to the city to keep the pitch clear to recover...

I know, I'm dreaming saying that - but I can't think of anything else...

I'm happy Forrest laid into the fact the pitch is being used. Get it out there and get it in the media to maybe, hopefully apply some pressure...

Carts...
he said he wasn't against publi use and said it should be allowed under certain conditions like a high school finals or something special.
His tone was pretty much "this is pathetic and needs to change asap" but he did say he understood the politics behind it.
I agree with him and think it should be special. No pub teams at BMO!

TFC07
05-25-2010, 12:32 AM
MLSE should just buy BMO field from City (since they're broke and need some money). Hopefully next Toronto mayor end up selling BMO field to MLSE.

Luca
05-25-2010, 01:20 AM
It made sense when it was turf, but you can't have Sunday League teams tearing up our grass pitch.

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2010, 02:40 AM
MLSE should just buy BMO field from City (since they're broke and need some money). Hopefully next Toronto mayor end up selling BMO field to MLSE.

First, the city would have to be willing to sell the stadium. Then, the provincial government would have to be willing to sell the CNE land it sits on. Not likely.

Then if all of that falls in place, there's the issue of the cost - I wouldn't be shocked if that land, in metropolitan Toronto, costs far more than the stadium itself.

My guess is community use won't completely leave BMO, until the training facility is built, and they offer some of those pitches for community events.

- Scott

swan
05-25-2010, 06:02 AM
i'm sure they could own BMO field but lease the land...

they need to go to the emirates for a week to learn how they take care of their pitch...

ochos
05-25-2010, 06:25 AM
A couple weeks back a colleague of mine told me his wife was playing Ultimate at BMO this season... 3 games going at once, meaning 50+ bodies at once running around on the grass at one time... needless to say I was shocked and outraged.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Before the old Wembley was demolished in 2000, the lush surface was famous around the world for its quality. Since it was rebuilt in 2007, the pitch has been re-laid 10 times with critics complaining the stadium is overused to pay for its enormous cost.

Sound familiar? Even though Bmo was built for peanuts.....its overuse will only come back to haunt them in the end.....Some how the city will get its money back that they put into it..unfortunately at the cost of a quality pitch!

ManUtd4ever
05-25-2010, 08:07 AM
I was under the assumption that the old FieldTurf was moved to Lamport for community use to avoid this very issue...

eustacchio
05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
http://91.121.132.199/gifs/7386.gif

best gif ever. I can't breathe.

boban
05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
I was under the assumption that the old FieldTurf was moved to Lamport for community use to avoid this very issue...
Lamport already had its own version of Fieldturf.
Community use was drastically reduced but not eliminated.
It was in all the media articles. People just choose to read details.

Gixmo
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
no complaint but loved the soccer goals with hanging ball in the urinals...get to scoooore plenty takin a leak....started the game right

Lol, Yes sir - I didn't feel bad whipping my camera out for that in a packed bathroom. Those are hilarious. I've already looked online at the website to order some for our offices :)

The Scott's girl who parks it in front of 112/113 is sexy. I would bounce quarters off her behind all day long for sport!

kitchener-TFC
05-25-2010, 08:59 AM
E-mail David Miller. Get some pressure on the mayor to take action, or at least raise our concerns. I understand the whole community use BS, but lets at least raise some awareness.

markus
05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
just watched Toronto FC TV Episode 9...and BMO's Field grass looks shitty if you compare it to the grass at Swangard Stadium...

Gixmo
05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
It's new guys, Give it time to go. My lawn looked fantastic after 1 wk of no use :)

The pitch will look it's best next year!

Belfast_Boy
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
there was a chip in the paint on the posts in the north end. also! I moved to the bottom of 111 and someone stole the seats I was borrowing while I went for a half time smoke.
I'm emailing Miller!

habstfc
05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
This situation is laughable. It really is. Someone is saying their wife is playing "ultimate" at bmo this summer. Is that frisbee or something? So 50 people are going to be playing frisbee on bmo's freshly layed pitch. Like I said, laughable.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-25-2010, 11:35 PM
MLSE should just buy up all of the community-use time and let the field lay fallow.

Super
05-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I think it's just a matter of time before this issue is seriously addressed by MLSE. But unfortunately it has to get to a point of crisis before anything is done - as with everything else, I guess.

Luca
05-25-2010, 11:40 PM
After I asked Paul Beirne his thoughts on the future of BMO and whether it would have to be privatized to remain sustainable, he responded with this:

@DJLuca (http://twitter.com/DJLuca) not that extreme, bit we do need the city and Ex place to acknowledge that quality is important. He's tooting the company line, but then again I didn't expect much more. I'm chuffed he was able to take the time out to give me an answer.

Of course, it comes down to the fact that acknowledging the importance of quality and keeping BMO Field a City-owned asset are contrasting goals. There's no way around it.

Super
05-25-2010, 11:55 PM
To me the BIGGEST problem with TFC and BMO is that there are way too many suits (and certainly non-football people) making the decisions.

James17930
05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
To me the BIGGEST problem with TFC and BMO is that there are way too many suits (and certainly non-football people) making the decisions.

But at city hall, not at MLSE.

Paul B. and Anselmi get it. They really do. They're just handcuffed by the city at the moment.

We really have to keep the pressure on over this issue to get change to happen, just like before.

Dbl_D
05-26-2010, 12:46 PM
they clearly have good staff taking care of the grass.

did you not see the booty on the scotts lawn girl in front of 112-113.

they had to give her a chair this week to keep the hounds off

don't believe it unless we have pictures :yum:

bgnewf
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
The Practice facility/training ground propsal TFC came out with a couple of weeks ago is the answer, provided it is built IN DOWNTOWN TORONTO.

Oakville, Mississauga, Pickering, etc... Not good enough (all due respect to them, but they are too far away). This has to happen downtown or somewhere in the 416 in order to get the community use out of BMO... It is a big chunk of real estate they need to do this so it will be a huge challenge to make this happen downtown. Perhaps Downsview Air Base/Park is the best solution, still on the subway line and in the 416.

Blizzard
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM

No. The old FieldTurf was junked. Lamport had put in a new grass like artificial surface a year or two before.

The bubble was moved from BMO to Lamport in order to allow for 365 usage there and to make up for the lack of a winter use componant at BMO but Lamport has never been the answer to summer use. It cannot absorb all the events that used to take place at BMO. That is the problem here and why TFC is actively attempting to put together a new training facility combined with community usage fields.

James17930
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
The Practice facility/training ground propsal TFC came out with a couple of weeks ago is the answer, provided it is built IN DOWNTOWN TORONTO.

Oakville, Mississauga, Pickering, etc... Not good enough (all due respect to them, but they are too far away). This has to happen downtown or somewhere in the 416 in order to get the community use out of BMO... It is a big chunk of real estate they need to do this so it will be a huge challenge to make this happen downtown. Perhaps Downsview Air Base/Park is the best solution, still on the subway line and in the 416.

Exactly. And while downtown would be ideal, I can't really think of anywhere big enough, with enough open space, to build it (unless they invested heavily in some portlands real estate, which I can't really see them doing).

Downsview might be the only place big enough, and it's not a horrible option.

But speaking of pitches -- Stade Suputo's looked way worse than BMO's tonight, and they don't have any community use. They're gonna need to upgrade their under-field mechanics before joining MLS.

jimiv
05-29-2010, 03:28 PM
E-mail David Miller. Get some pressure on the mayor to take action, or at least raise our concerns. I understand the whole community use BS, but lets at least raise some awareness.

It would be interesting to see what all the new mayoral candidates feel about BMO and public use before we vote. I'd hate to vote for someone who thinks BMO is a good place for the Argos to share.

:scarf:

nfitz
05-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Isn't the first question what the impact of public use is having on the pitch?

I've not seen any reports of any serious problems with the pitch. Saputo seemed to have huge problems in their first year.

Is it possible that the current usage is not having a significant impact on the pitch?

James17930
07-01-2010, 01:50 AM
From Chad Barret's Pre-Houston-game interview:

"The pitch conditions aren't great . . ."

So it's at the point now where the players are even complaining about it again in interviews. So it only took half a season for it to wear down?

This is getting ridiculous.

London
07-01-2010, 06:34 AM
sod should have been laid right before winter so it could root properly.

if they hired lawncare people for there skills and not by how sweet there booty is, then this problem would not be here!!!! LOL

Pookie
07-01-2010, 07:27 AM
We rented it a few weeks ago and I was honestly surprised at the condition of it.

It was bumpy and patchy and quite honestly, my lawn was in better condition. That said, I'm sure it will be addressed. You don't make that kind of investment in it and not demand a better quality.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the rentals end in the near future.

rocker
07-01-2010, 09:43 AM
We rented it a few weeks ago

So you went and made it worse! thanks! ;) ;) ;)

James17930
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
We rented it a few weeks ago and I was honestly surprised at the condition of it.

It was bumpy and patchy and quite honestly, my lawn was in better condition. That said, I'm sure it will be addressed. You don't make that kind of investment in it and not demand a better quality.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the rentals end in the near future.

Oh, thy Great Lord Irony -- how I regale in your presence when you descend upon the world.

bigtfcfan
07-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Craig Forest said during the LA game that they stopped renting it out for a couple of months for the pitch to recover.

Pookie
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
So you went and made it worse! thanks! ;) ;) ;)

I'm sure that my U9s barely ripped a blade of grass... well except for the one kid that slide tackles just about everything in sight.

swan
07-01-2010, 10:44 AM
from what i've seen high up in the stands and on tv it looks like they cut it to short.. or am i seeing things

Pookie
07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
length was fine based on what we saw... it was simply bumpy and thin in places while patchy in others.

drewski
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
seeing how beat up the pitches are at the World Cup, i think the overuse of the pitch is more of a problem than when it was laid or how much its rooted.

Canary Canuck
07-01-2010, 09:52 PM
The problem is the rental usage.

Shakes McQueen
07-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Sportsnet commentators said the pitch looked the best it has ever looked tonight. Make of that what you will.

- Scott

rocker
07-01-2010, 10:09 PM
pitch looked fine from 12 rows away.

Carts
07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
It looked great from 109-Row-9...

Carts...

billyfly
07-02-2010, 12:34 AM
^Its b/c he are seeing it in HD. It looks "real".

James17930
07-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Or if it's because they've now stopped the rentals . . . good thing it doesn't take too long too recover . . . must be really a good, strong type of grass.

I've noticed that it hardly ever divots. So while it might be getting patchy in places, at least it's not being uprooted.

CoachGT
07-02-2010, 07:17 AM
The pitch looked poor in spots from 224. Looks like the top layer might shift a bit in spots, although not to the same extent as Montreal did a couple of years ago. Looks okay near the sidelines, but as you move to the middle of the pitch there are what looks like either bare spots or, if it was a farm, "cow pasture" spots. Not sure if they appear on tv.

Perhaps MLSE should consider bringing the Kansas City groundskeeper up for a few days. The stadiums in KC always have top quality grass, and Ljundberg commented to that effect last year - the best pitch in the league is on a baseball diamond!

STB
07-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Looks okay near the sidelines, but as you move to the middle of the pitch there are what looks like either bare spots or

LOL i think this says more about the TFC squad than the pitch :)

On the telly the grass looked alright, it cut up a bit during the game but ive seen much worse..