PDA

View Full Version : Booing TFC Players

Derko
05-23-2010, 07:34 AM
I know that it was Garcia, whom is one of TFC's marginal players, but I was disgusted to here fans booing when Garcia's name was announced in the starting line up. poor form by some of the fans!!

drexel10
05-23-2010, 07:41 AM
I know that it was Garcia, whom is one of TFC's marginal players, but I was disgusted to here fans booing when Garcia's name was announced in the starting line up. poor form by some of the fans!!

Couldn't believe it myself :facepalm: I have never experienced that type of support for one of our own players. Funny thing is the guy has played pretty well in the last few games and stepped up for an injured Nana. We do need people on the bench for this, don't we??

Carts
05-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Couldn't believe it myself :facepalm: I have never experienced that type of support for one of our own players. Funny thing is the guy has played pretty well in the last few games and stepped up for an injured Nana. We do need people on the bench for this, don't we??

Good point... And yes, we do need bench players for depth etc - and sometimes its tough to find players to accept that role...

Young players dont want this role, because it hurts their development. Older players often dont want this role because they're in their final years and want to play - not ride the bench most games...

We shouldn't be booing Garcia, or any player in my personal opinion...

And he has played well in last outings...

In Toronto, there seems to be an odd "goat culture"... Every team seems to have a player that's hated - this is most noted with the Leafs & the now famous "Larry Murphy era"... He was basically "boo'ed out of Toronto, went to the Wings, and was one of their top-4 defencemen in winning the Stanley Cup...

Carts...

sidvan
05-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Team first at the start of the match. Who ever the manager puts out should be cheered. Plenty of time for the player's to redeem themselves (or not) during the match.

Darlofletch
05-23-2010, 08:48 AM
http://www.blogesalming.com/2010/05/teamharmonycom.html

the Larry murphy comment makes this relevent, and really, I don't need much of an excuse to pimp this blog's awesomeness.

MKR
05-23-2010, 09:09 AM
The stupidest moment of the match came from the east stands (north corner) mid point first half . I was sitting in the north stands and could totally hear some completely ignorant jack asses giving it to Chad Barrett. At first it didn't really register with me, so i mentioned it to my wife and she too noticed it. Something to the effect of "Barrett, fucking hack....etc". Why people feel the need to give it to not only our hardest worker, but also one of our best players this season is beyond me.

Makes me continue to hate people.

Kaz
05-23-2010, 09:26 AM
The sad part is Barrett is doing well this season, he's really responding to preki, and he's been solid up front, he's getting service, and I think he and OBW if they were starting games together with DeRo in the back would be an offensive force to be feared.

Barrett deserves nothing but praise this season. He's making the best of a very defense minded coach. (overly defense minded IMO)

Technorgasm
05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
disgusting. .. .. .

after such a long road trip especially. .

unacceptable.

flatpicker
05-23-2010, 09:37 AM
The booing is pretty lame, considering things are going rather well lately.
Perhaps it has to do with Toronto sports fans being so used to bad products that it's in our nature to be negative.
Folks need to learn when and where it is appropriate to show displeasure... and now is not the time.

rocker
05-23-2010, 10:01 AM
ya, and considering his (hot) wife and kid are there in the stands, it's even worse.

H Bomb
05-23-2010, 10:12 AM
agreed. People paid their money and can pretty much do what they want but to what end? Say it on here if you want to. But at the stadium there are no players, only one team, and a team you should get behind and support, for as little a reason as its more fun that way, and as large a one as they are representing you and your people.

jabbronies
05-23-2010, 10:26 AM
just an FYI - the boo'ing wasn't just in the south end...it reached right across the stadium. But the fact is, a lot of people don't like him on the field, to the point where they feel it necessary to boo him. I don't agree with that. He's never really done anything to suggest he hates this club/fans.

His play shows his age, but you can't really fault the guy for that. Preki trusts him enough to play him...and right now I trust Preki and his decision making. I think fans need to realize that and accept him playing.

If the supporters feel strong about this they could take the initiative to cheer him during the intro...perhaps that will help change the mode of the crowd. I don't think this should be the groups next initiative, I think it should happen organically...

dupont
05-23-2010, 10:27 AM
It doesn't surprise me. There are always going to be jackasses in any crowd. Plus, some people don't follow the team as closely as others and are probably are behind on all news and don't even realize how great it's been going for TFC lately.
However, I think the overall mood of the crowd was very positive and the players are more likely to remember that, then a few jackass hecklers.

Sonny Cheeba
05-23-2010, 10:29 AM
that actually happened? fuck, that's sad.

for the amount of fuck-ups garcia has had, people might as well be booing our whole starting lineup. they've all fucked up.

garcia is a good guy, and he has the experience needed to be the captain when dero is out.

Azerban
05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
if booing garcia produces a shutout and no major fuckups then 420 boo garcia erry-day

AL-MO
05-23-2010, 11:02 AM
that actually happened? fuck, that's sad.

for the amount of fuck-ups garcia has had, people might as well be booing our whole starting lineup. they've all fucked up.

garcia is a good guy, and he has the experience needed to be the captain when dero is out.

Agreed Sonny. It is REALLY sad.

AL-MO
05-23-2010, 11:03 AM
I think I might go ahead with the "GARCIA = GOD" banner just to stir the pot and piss some people off.

Carts
05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I think I might go ahead with the "GARCIA = GOD" banner just to stir the pot and piss some people off.

DO IT...!!!

I'll make one that says "...GIVE MO A 10-YEAR CONTRACT..." to piss off everyone else...

Carts... :D

Mark in Ottawa
05-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Firstly anyone booing a player before a game is not a fan... or a supporter... just a dumbass!

Secondly... Nick Garcia played an excellent game yesterday. He has played where and when the coach has asked and after a bit of a rough start is showing his worth to the team as a leader.

I guess that's why he was wearing the captains armband yesterday :D

Super
05-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I think it's time to forgive and forget when it comes to Garcia. Yes, he's frustrated me more than any other TFC player in history (I think) but he has stepped up lately, and I don't think that's been easy with all of the hatred raining down on him. He's here to stay for the year, so we might as well support the guy - it's going to be better for everyone in the end.

AL-MO
05-23-2010, 11:46 AM
DO IT...!!!

I'll make one that says "...GIVE MO A 10-YEAR CONTRACT..." to piss off everyone else...

HA.

That won't last long around me. :flare:

Keystone FC
05-23-2010, 11:49 AM
DO IT...!!!

Yeah, then the next banner would read "...CARTS MUST GO!..."
:D

Carts
05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, then the next banner would read "...CARTS MUST GO!..."
:D

I don't even think you'd have time to make that - the angry mob would have chased me away in about 3 or 4 seconds... :D

Carts...

Mikey
05-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Make sure you have it ok'd by the gate staff......:rolleyes:

[NBF]
05-23-2010, 12:26 PM
They're probably Boooooooooooing, because they were expecting a loss, and if they were going to lose, it would probably be Garcia's fault, since the team hasn't made the defense a priority in 4 years.

Its kinda like watching the Brewers winning a game through 8 innings and watching the closer give up a 3 run lead and ultimately losing.

It's also because garcia is past his prime and should be retired. As well Garcia's lack of any support since coming from San Jose. It's like saying, we gave up on Ali Gerba, how come we dont give up on this guy who cant run?

Beach_Red
05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
In Toronto, there seems to be an odd "goat culture"... Every team seems to have a player that's hated - this is most noted with the Leafs & the now famous "Larry Murphy era"... He was basically "boo'ed out of Toronto, went to the Wings, and was one of their top-4 defencemen in winning the Stanley Cup...

Carts...

This is so true. It may be the result of not winning for a long time, it becomes part of the culture to always look for someone blame. People get used to it, it's a habit.

And like all habits it's hard to break - it's like quitting smoking ;).

Let's hope some winning will change the culture.

rocker
05-23-2010, 01:14 PM
;1035726']They're probably Boooooooooooing, because they were expecting a loss, and if they were going to lose, it would probably be Garcia's fault, since the team hasn't made the defense a priority in 4 years.

Its kinda like watching the Brewers winning a game through 8 innings and watching the closer give up a 3 run lead and ultimately losing.

It's also because garcia is past his prime and should be retired. As well Garcia's lack of any support since coming from San Jose. It's like saying, we gave up on Ali Gerba, how come we dont give up on this guy who cant run?

everybody knows *why* people are booing him. That's not the point of the thread though.

the thread is about the appropriateness of booing a player in the introductions.

i think Garcia sucks but wouldn't boo him during introductions or heckle him during the match (particularly when his wife is about 10 seats down from me).

It's about respect and supporting your club for the 90 minutes.

Shakes McQueen
05-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Garcia is not a good player, but as long as he's playing in one of our games, I will cheer him the same as anyone else.

There is no excuse for booing your own players in the introductions.

- Scott

s2cazz
05-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Garcia is a twat. He shouldn't be on our roster. but booing him during game time is counter productive and an absolute no.

If there is a Garcia = God banner I will turn my membership in.

AL-MO
05-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Garcia is a twat. He shouldn't be on our roster. but booing him during game time is counter productive and an absolute no.

If there is a Garcia = God banner I will turn my membership in.

What do you want me to add a "LOL" to the end or something? :lol:

ManUtd4ever
05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I disagree with a negative crowd reaction to any TFC players during introductions. I would prefer Garcia didn't start against MLS competition but injuries to Nana, Harden, Gomez and the suspension of Usanov left Preki with no alternatives yesterday. In fairness to Garcia, he responded to the challenge as an alternate captain and played his most complete game in a TFC uniform. If he continues to display similar form he may prove to provide quality depth moving forward...

s2cazz
05-23-2010, 02:46 PM
What do you want me to add a "LOL" to the end or something? :lol:

then it becomes too negative lol

Brooker
05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
they used to boo chad barrett all the time, now they cheer him.

IDIOTS.

Sonny Cheeba
05-23-2010, 04:43 PM

IDIOTS.

and he still seems to be on thin ice with some people....

IDIOTS

jazzy
05-23-2010, 05:09 PM
shouldn't boo any TFC.....players, but interesting to see what happens if Moe ever dared to walk on the field? Does hanging my head down into me beer...count as negative?

Jeffro
05-23-2010, 06:31 PM

IDIOTS.

In 118 I'm still surrounded by guys who spend the whole game heckling Barrett. It's the only sound they make and they spend the rest of the time telling us our chants are too complicated.

DichioTFC
05-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I dont support booing a player because of mistakes that happened over a month ago. He's had his time off, he's improved, he's been a major part of shutouts.

Haters, exit door left.

TFCRegina
05-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Agreed.

That and the Barrett slagging kinda pissed me off.

Barrett was our best player on Saturday and is on a great run.

Garcia hasn't fucked it up in two games. Why boo him when he's playing competent football?

romburgundy
05-23-2010, 09:37 PM
This comes right from the dressing room. Garcia was the reason for our team being divided and loosing out on the playoff. Granted he's back to the acceptable level of mediocrity that we celebrate in this city, so totally let's erect a monument for him.

Mikey
05-23-2010, 09:40 PM
This comes right from the dressing room. Garcia was the reason for our team being divided and loosing out on the playoff. Granted he's back to the acceptable level of mediocrity that we celebrate in this city, so totally let's erect a monument for him.

Sounds like you're not drinking the coolaid!! :drinking:

TFCRegina
05-23-2010, 09:43 PM

There's a big difference between erecting a monument and having the human fucking decency to not boo your own players.

Slag them when they're not playing. Booing your own players as they step onto the pitch is unacceptable unless they've slagged the supporters, the city or the club or committed some unspeakable crime.

Considering Garcia has done none of those, we can have the decency to not be total douchenozzles when he steps on the pitch.

RedsYNWA
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Garcia Sucks Bbbooooooooo!!!!!!

Roogsy
05-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Anyone booing our own players at our home stadium makes them absolute ignorant douchebags in the purest and truest sense.

Bigger than even that douchebag Roogsy. And that's pretty bad. ;)

Roogsy
05-23-2010, 10:17 PM
In 118 I'm still surrounded by guys who spend the whole game heckling Barrett. It's the only sound they make and they spend the rest of the time telling us our chants are too complicated.

I will be back soon to join you in telling them they are idiots.

Whoop
05-23-2010, 10:21 PM
My gf had to tell some frat boys off in 220 as they were decked out in TFC gear, slagging the TFC players!?!?

She told them in no uncertain terms that if they wanted to cheer for New England they were free to join them in 104. LOL

Supposedly they shut up after that. LOL

And they said the cheers were too complicated. LOL

Luca
05-23-2010, 11:00 PM
He's awful, but he's done absolutely nothing to warrant being booed by his home fans.

That's fucking disgusting.

Brooker
05-24-2010, 12:01 AM

the cheers are too complicated?! jesus christ. too used to chanting GO ____ GO over and over?

do they forget where to clap for T-F-C *clap clap clap* ?

romburgundy
05-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Obviously not everyone feels the same way you do.

And for that you should be glad.

I for one think its great that fans care enough to express their disappointment with a player. About 6 months too late in my opinion but hey to each their own.

We can't all be super-robo-supporters like you.

Jeffro
05-24-2010, 01:21 AM
I will be back soon to join you in telling them they are idiots.

Shit, I hope so! Usually I have about 5 or 6 guys that help me sing, Saturday I was on my own. I barely knew any of the people around me! Quiet day in 118.

Roogsy
05-24-2010, 01:41 AM
I am bringing my snare drum baby. We will get the lads in 119 to join us.

Pachuco
05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't boo tfc players. Don't believe in it. However, I could give give rats ass if someone else feels better by booing the worst TFC player to step pm the pitch. That's life.

AL-MO
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM

My gf had to tell some frat boys off in 220 as they were decked out in TFC gear, slagging the TFC players!?!?

She told them in no uncertain terms that if they wanted to cheer for New England they were free to join them in 104. LOL

Supposedly they shut up after that. LOL

LOL

So 10 year old children can learn the chants but not grown men?

:lol:

romburgundy
05-24-2010, 06:50 PM
LOL

That's hilarious!
You'll find this even funnier my 3 year old sings the bounce no problem. Okay he does have a little trouble with 'greatest In history' but over all he doesn't find it too complex.

Jeffro
05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
LOL

And we only really do the more basic chants!

maninb
05-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Garcia ia a useless tool....we've won inspite of him, not because of him...he was useless against Vancouver, and almost cost us 2 goals...he has one average game and people suddenly love the guy??

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Garcia ia a useless tool....we've won inspite of him, not because of him...he was useless against Vancouver, and almost cost us 2 goals...he has one average game and people suddenly love the guy??

Who loves the guy?

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM
It's your ticket. Make whatever noise want to. Don't expect to join in with the boo's. I think we've discovered far more creative ways to get players attentions.

(Beckerman stop yelling back at me when I'm yelling at you. I can't understand your tiny surfer douchey voice. I'm louder.)

rocker
05-25-2010, 01:22 PM
i just wish people would take some of that energy (from booing hometeam players) and direct it at opposition players.
i dunno what it's like in the south end, but in my north west section people would rather boo Chad Barrett and Nick Garcia than Schellotto or Ljundberg.

fetajr
05-25-2010, 02:18 PM
i just wish people would take some of that energy (from booing hometeam players) and direct it at opposition players.

for fucking real... everytime the opposition has the ball the stadium should be doing that 'annoying whistling' that we do so well in injury time when we're winning a game at home

like this - minute 1:30
xW4ic1VYHyw

Roogsy
05-25-2010, 02:25 PM

:thumbsup:

A-MEN!

nimamalek
05-26-2010, 12:16 AM
I believe Mo and Preki are putting Garcia on because he is their friend. No manager in his right mind would put Garcia on the field after the last 10 games. So if management is putting players on the field based on anything besides their playing ability then I believe its ok to boo them.

Dirk Diggler
05-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I believe Mo and Preki are putting Garcia on because he is their friend. No manager in his right mind would put Garcia on the field after the last 10 games. So if management is putting players on the field based on anything besides their playing ability then I believe its ok to boo them.

Preki is putting Garcia on the pitch because we have no depth ... its either Garcia or no one at all.

Oblio2
05-26-2010, 06:53 AM
We are winning and yet people still boo our players...stay classy
*major facepalm

Azerban
05-26-2010, 07:27 AM
its either Garcia or no one at all.

that is a tough choice...

Derko
05-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Sorry guys and gals but I was just disgusted, that any supporter would boo a player taking to the pitch, my opinion you can have yours, I really didn't hear many booing Jim Brennan last year when he was becoming a liability.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 08:43 AM
^ This...

Mikey
05-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Personally I'm surprised Stephan Frei doesn't boo his ass, he has more cause than anyone in the stands.....

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Personally I'm surprised Stephan Frei doesn't boo his ass, he has more cause than anyone in the stands.....

How about we all agree that the day Frei does, then we can as well?

rocker
05-26-2010, 09:57 AM
was there any Shalrie Joseph heckling from the south end last game? he'd be a great target after his drug rehab.

Wull
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
If he's having a complete stinker, I'll yell for him to be taken off but I will never boo someone pulling on our jersey unless they aren't trying

razor787
05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
was there any Shalrie Joseph heckling from the south end last game? he'd be a great target after his drug rehab.

After he went down just outside the box, there was a "this aint rehab" chant that was started up. I think that was it though