PDA

View Full Version : Barrett vs. Garcia: The Captain's band

Stryker
05-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Well today's game bought with it something that I think we can have a really good discussion about; should Garcia have been given the arm band today?

Barrett pros: Hardest working player on the team, getting armband may give him more confidence, may instill even greater loyalty and hardwork, been with team longer than Garcia and has a forseeably longer future with the team

Cons: Hotheaded, too much pressure with the band for young Barrett?

Garcia Pros: Experienced leadership and league veteran, level headed, well spoken (ie charismatic)

Cons: Appears to be a marginal worker, vilified by the fans for his colossal blunders in the past, Mo/Preki ties a factor?

Shakes McQueen
05-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Both have been given the armband in the past by Preki. To be honest, I was fine with the decision to give it to Garcia.

For all we know, maybe he's a strong veteran presence in the locker room. On a team missing an experienced guy like DeRo, maybe Preki thought Garcia could adequately fill that void.

Furthermore, I'm sure Preki is well aware of how unpopular Garcia is with the fans, and thought this responsibility would be a nice lift for him. Trying to carve out a role for him on the team, given his greatly reduced playing time.

Barrett or Garcia was fine with me. Barrett has certainly earned it, but he is a little "emotional" on the pitch, as we all know.

- Scott

Dunkers
05-23-2010, 01:36 AM
as much as i think barret is really doing well for us this year, i dont think he should have the armband

his theatrics are a little overblown after a near miss, i dont think its appropriate to have a captain flopping on the pitch after a miss. The captain should pull up his socks and get on with helping the team...

If I had to make a pitch for an alternate captain, id go with Cann, an all business kinda guy, but he could probably use more time with team before this happens

james
05-23-2010, 01:48 AM
i dont think garcia should even be on the team, i would of cut him last year. Still think hes one of the worst players out there.

James Oliphant
05-23-2010, 02:12 AM
i dont think garcia should even be on the team, i would of cut him last year. Still think hes one of the worst players out there.

Would have...man, that mistake bugs me.

Broadview
05-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Dero's on-field demeanor has changed since he's been given the armband. Remember during the off-season when there was all the speculation over who would be captain? Many people, myself included, didn't think he showed the type of leadership demanded of a captain over the course of last season. He was and is a great player for us, but he often seemed sulky and selfish out there. But once he was given the armband this season almost all that crap has left his game. He's been a fine captain.

I think that if Chad was named Captain maybe the same thing might happen. He'll hold himself to a higher standard when it comes to getting lippy with refs or bemoaning missed scoring chances. I don't think he was that bad today with that stuff anyway. He laid on the ground with his hands on his head for a bit after one chance but once he got up he didn't look overly sulky like he did in the past.

I have no problem with Garcia wearing the armband at times like yesterday either. He's been in the league a long time and the refs are familiar with him. I was sitting pretty close to the sideline and I'm pretty sure I heard Garcia and Kennedy speaking Midget to each other.

Also Garcia does need all the confidence he can get however he can get it. He was pretty invisible yesterday, which for him constitutes a near perfect game.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-23-2010, 06:21 AM
im gonna go with whatever preki thinks seeing as he is doing alright thus far and has the most experience out of the lot of us

Carts
05-23-2010, 07:29 AM
100% not Frei - he has enough to deal with back there. And had yet another great game...

I never like an out and out striker as captain... They can lose points with the ref if they go to ground to easy, and that can hurt later in the match when trying to get in the refs ear about things...

DeRo is the ideal captain, because he's a legit MLS superstar and respected player, and he's involved in the game constantly...

I don't mind Garcia as captain (with what we had today). He's known to MLS officials - he's not flopper (on purpose lol) or anything, and from what I have seen, he appears to be respected by players in this league...

Carts...

Darlofletch
05-23-2010, 08:43 AM
seeing as how the poll specifically asks about that one game, i voted garcia. he was captain and we won a game, with our best players not playing, through hard work, tactical discipline and organisation. I'd suggest those are all things that a captain can help enforce on the pitch, so garcia obviously did a good job.

He played ok as well, and he probably will whenever he gets in the team. Even last year, I thought that in a defensively well organised side, he'd be ok, and he's now getting the chance to prove that.

MKR
05-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Barrett. He deserves it the most and has been our best player this season after DeRosario. Dude leads by example out there and is a great representation of what the club stands for (hard worker, tireless, never takes a play off, etc).

On an unrelated note, i am coming around to Martin Saric.

TorCanSoc
05-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Yes. If Barrett wasn't so petulant after ever tackle, he'd be a better leader.

@MKR. Saric, the book is still out on him. I thought Gala was going to sub in for him, rather than Petrson. But I guess Peterson has more of an offensive game than Saric. So Preki had to take Peterson out. The right moves. Preki has withstood Toronto's questions of him. Hats off. Lets hope it continues.

Sonny Cheeba
05-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Would have...man, that mistake bugs me.

yeah that one bugs me too...

Dv23
05-23-2010, 10:50 AM
As far as I am concerned, Garcia handled himself well today and the entire group seemed to be disciplined for the most part. He is known to be a well-spoken and well-known guy amongst the MLS, and is a veteran out there.

To tell you the truth, I have been quite impressed with his play since the Montreal game. He's been pretty solid when he's been on, and I think getting the arm band yesterday will only help to further boost his confidence. I saw him actually WIN HEADERS yesterday. And he was very aggressive on the ball. It was a lovely change of pace.

Kevvv
05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
yeah that one bugs me too...

I would of called him on it to

Sonny Cheeba
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
^hahaha, you dink.

Kevvv
05-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Last year when Garcia arrived, when Jimmy was captain, Garcia was a leader in the on-field scrums before the game. Being a leader is more than being the best guy on the team, it's also co-ordinating the guys who have the legs and don't know where they should be on the field. And like someone mentioned, Frei has enough to do already. He can hone his leadership skills by organising walls, setup for corners, and directing traffic in front of him.

CoachGT
05-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Personally, I'm more afraid of Garcia as a central defender than I am seeing him elsewhere on the pitch. He pulled someone down during the game that I thought would have generated a card and a penalty, but we seem to have gotten fewer penalty calls this year than in the past (and may the luck continue on that).

Barrett isn't ready for the role of captain yet , nor is Frei (he has plenty to deal with without that). Barrett is still a little too whiny but I did vote for him over Garcia. But on the basis of experience, I don't see anyone on the roster that we used yesterday that would be better suited than Garcia.

GBV
05-23-2010, 03:15 PM
What a fkng tool Mo is:

Sent: May 23, 2010 2:13p

Nick Garcia continues to impress. Great leader, Captained the lads to a tough win. Hopefully he will get full support now. Our BEST defender

sent via web

rocker
05-23-2010, 03:41 PM
What a fkng tool Mo is:

Sent: May 23, 2010 2:13p

Nick Garcia continues to impress. Great leader, Captained the lads to a tough win. Hopefully he will get full support now. Our BEST defender

sent via web

haha.. fake twitter accounts are hilarious.

GBV
05-23-2010, 03:47 PM
^ Good that it's fake. Was (more) worried there for a sec.
I don't twitter so don't know this ins and outs ... was forwarded to me.

rocker
05-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Paul Beirne said Mo is not on twitter, and even if he was, Paul would have to type for him. hahaha.

LesH
05-23-2010, 04:56 PM
I voted Frei.

The whole question is more like the armband should be given to a player taking into account the league experience OR the contribution to the team's success on the pitch since playing with the team?

I'm sorry, but Garcia caused so much sorrow for this team that for me would take 10 games in row played by him full 90 minutes and nominated TFC man of the game in all the 10 matches to "forget" all hist past performance and be able to look at him without having a bad feeling whenever seeing him with the armband.
No matter how nice guy and hard worker he may be...

Probably I'm very much in minority with how I feel.

Brooker
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
I love Chad Barret more than any other TFC player.... but Nick Garcia has double the experience, more silverware, and is 6 years older.

Garcia gets the vote from me.

Yohan
05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/05/22/1938041/toronto-fc-players-motivated-to-represent-club-well
snippet from the article

One of those replacements who has shone in particular for TFC is defender Nick Garcia. With his play under constant criticism from fans and the media, the defender has stepped in and played the full 90 quality minutes for the Reds in the club’s last 4 matches and looks like a completely different player than the one who struggled mightily in the season’s opening matches.

“Nick had a really tough start and I felt bad for the guy because all throughout the pre-season, he was one of our better players”, said Preki.

“He’s a guy who comes in to work hard everyday. Unfortunately, he made a couple of mistakes and one of those mistakes cost us a goal [at New England in April]. We had to give him a break [from the starting line-up] and see how he reacted and he came back and he worked his socks off. He’s a professional and I’m not really surprised. He’s stepped in and he’s had a good time out there.”

Cann was also quick to commend his fellow defender.

“He brings such experience to the team. His mentality, positioning-wise, he knows what he’s doing and he’s done a great job, along with Raivis [Hscanovics] and Dan Gargan. He’s on a roll and when everybody knows their role, good things happen”.

bertal
05-23-2010, 06:33 PM
garcia gets the armband for me

Kevvv
05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
The whole question is more like the armband should be given to a player taking into account the league experience OR the contribution to the team's success on the pitch since playing with the team?

Contribution <> leadership

james
05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I voted Frei.

I'm sorry, but Garcia caused so much sorrow for this team that for me would take 10 games in row played by him full 90 minutes and nominated TFC man of the game in all the 10 matches to "forget" all hist past performance and be able to look at him without having a bad feeling whenever seeing him with the armband.
No matter how nice guy and hard worker he may be...

Probably I'm very much in minority with how I feel.

i agree with you, just because he plays a few games, not even great games, just an average player out there for a few games does not make me forget how many games he has blown for us. Countless mistakes he has made.

DichioTFC
05-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Garcia should get the armband over Barrett.

I love Barrett but I absolutely hate how he collapses after misses. Granted he's cleaned that up, but mistakes happen and it should inspire him to get better next time. Seeing a captain completely collapse time after time would be disheartening.

Garcia on the other hand had HUGE mistakes and instead of running and hiding in shame he came back and has been an integral part of a few shutouts now. That kind of resolve is really inspirational. Preki's boy or not, he's not a liability any more.

As it stands right now, I'm glad that Garcia is higher on the captaincy list than Barrett.

Luca
05-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I was initially critical of the idea to make Garcia captain given that I still think he's an awful defender, even though he's put in a few decent (see: not conceded any howlers) games. Now, however, I'm not sure who else I'd have given it to in that XI. Frei's the natural choice, but he has enough on his plate as it is, and Barrett's not really captain material.

Maybe Cann. A wealth of experience and a rock-solid defender, but I'm not sure if he's vocal enough.

I'll give credit where credit is due, though, and say that the armband seemed to inspire Garcia's game.

Roogsy
05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Barrett should not have the captain's armband.

He has already far too much pressure on him, including from himself. His confidence has been so fragile do we really need to burden him with more responsibility to shake him up?

Yagbod
05-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I would give Garcia the armband only while DeRo and De Guzman are away/injured. And only because he plays well when confident. It could/did make a difference for him.

I still shudder when I see him come out, but less so each time.

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Garcia don't deserve it.
Barrett don't need ANY more pressure.
Guess Frei...:noidea:

Belfast_Boy
05-25-2010, 03:33 PM
where's the option for none of the above?

but if i have to pick from those three it would be Garcia. if I can pick someone else it would be Labroca.

Frei is a goalie, he's too far from the other end to be effective. and he's too young and inexperienced.

Barrett shouldn't have it. I don't think strikers make great captains. they are in a position to get fouled too much. needs to be someone than can talk to the ref and be heard.

TFCwestcan
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
As far as I am concerned, Garcia handled himself well today and the entire group seemed to be disciplined for the most part. He is known to be a well-spoken and well-known guy amongst the MLS, and is a veteran out there.

To tell you the truth, I have been quite impressed with his play since the Montreal game. He's been pretty solid when he's been on, and I think getting the arm band yesterday will only help to further boost his confidence. I saw him actually WIN HEADERS yesterday. And he was very aggressive on the ball. It was a lovely change of pace.

Yes with Headers as in more than one being the operative word!

FluSH
05-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I have supported Barrett through the downs... and now that Barrett is the new Red Glory... I still think Frei should receive the Captain's Armband...

There is something about Frei that spells LEADER

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 09:32 AM
That is the point.

My question for those that selected Barrett is this:

What exactly makes him a leader? This isn't a question debating his work rate or effort. But is that what makes a leader?

Broadview
05-26-2010, 09:43 AM
but if i have to pick from those three it would be Garcia. if I can pick someone else it would be Labroca.

Frei is a goalie, he's too far from the other end to be effective. and he's too young and inexperienced.

Barrett shouldn't have it. I don't think strikers make great captains. they are in a position to get fouled too much. needs to be someone than can talk to the ref and be heard.

Labrocca hasn't been a starter in this league long enough to be Captain. Just because he's bald doesn't mean he's old! He was a sub on saturday anyway.

Having keepers as Captains always seems silly to me. They`re already expected to be leaders at the back and having them sprint the length of the field to have a timely discussion with an official just isn`t going to happen.

Broadview
05-26-2010, 09:48 AM
That is the point.

My question for those that selected Barrett is this:

What exactly makes him a leader? This isn't a question debating his work rate or effort. But is that what makes a leader?

I didn`t pick him, but I`ll say he leads by example by demonstrating the things you mentioned. Also having the armband might change his disposition on the field to make him less lippy with the refs, the same way Dero`s on-field persona has adjusted this season.

But maybe chad needs that fire raging in his belly and it shouldn`t be tempered with the armband, I dunno.

iansmcl
05-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I have supported Barrett through the downs... and now that Barrett is the new Red Glory... I still think Frei should receive the Captain's Armband...

There is something about Frei that spells LEADER

It's cause an anagram for his name is Fire... as in ... when he plays, there's a fire in his heart!

*bows*

J .
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Cons: Appears to be a marginal worker, vilified by the fans for his colossal blunders in the past, Mo/Preki ties a factor?

He is a very hard working player, but lacks the skill and pace.

Roogsy
05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I didn`t pick him, but I`ll say he leads by example by demonstrating the things you mentioned. Also having the armband might change his disposition on the field to make him less lippy with the refs, the same way Dero`s on-field persona has adjusted this season.

But maybe chad needs that fire raging in his belly and it shouldn`t be tempered with the armband, I dunno.

What you are describing here isn't a leader, it's a psychological maneouvre by the coach to "manage" Barrett's personality.

Work rate and effort are fine qualities, but they are not what define a leader.

When I think of "leading by example", I think of Messier in the Stanley Cup finals taking the Rangers on his back and willing them to a win. I think of DeRo's performance in last year's Miracle in Montreal. And while I am happy Barrett is providing more consistency this year than last, I am not sure his performance measures up to examples such as these. It's the difference between competence and taking it to the next level. Is Chad really there?

Wull
05-27-2010, 06:32 AM
I think seeing both with the armband have been low points in our short history to be honest but I'm not sure who to put it on. Cann or Cronin but one's not been here long enough and the other is far too young. I think this may be a sign that Preki jettisoned too many too quickly although I don't really want to have a go at him given the results we're getting