PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game: TFC @ San Jose Earthquakes (May 29th, 10:00 PM EST)

TFC USA
05-22-2010, 10:35 PM
In the last 3 seasons we've had very good play during the late April-early June. The trend is continuing this year. However with said trend we usually shit the bed form July onwards. This doesn't feel like a team that will follow in the footsteps of TFC '07, '08, and '09.

One of our two road wins last year came against San Jose, 3-1. Barrett got a brace and Pablo Vitti's stream of consciousness directed him towards a goal.

The good news is TFC finally avoided a league loss (against the best team in MLS to boot!)....the bad news is we still don't have a fucking win on the road and we've been outscored 11-3 in that span.

Can we continue our hot run of form and beat the Earthquakes? They beat the Sounders today 1-0 in Seattle, but that team seems to be in freefall 'cause their strikers suck ass. Otherwise San Jose is probably our best shot at a road win until Philadelphia. Why? Because we have 5 fucking home games in a row after that.

A win in San Jose and we get the ball rolling towards a playoff spot. If we lose then.....we've got 5 straight home games! :D:D:D

Shakes McQueen
05-23-2010, 01:24 AM
I expect three points from this game, provided we've got healthy, rested legs back in the squad - JDG, DeRo, Barrett, OBW, etc. It'd be nice to come out firing on all of our cylinders for the first game in a while.

Even if we don't, three points is likely. A win against Seattle proves nothing, as that team is in full-on crisis mode right now.

- Scott

Yohan
05-23-2010, 03:20 AM
There has been a lot of questions to Yallop's coaching ability, but SJ has put together a decent team now... No longer can be considered a push over.

I suspect a draw will be a good result.

Keystone FC
05-23-2010, 05:06 AM
There has been a lot of questions to Yallop's coaching ability, but SJ has put together a decent team now... No longer can be considered a push over.

I suspect a draw will be a good result.
SJ is a tuff call. They are kind of like us. They can be very dangerous or just plane bad at times. It depends.
They just beat Seattle in Seattle 1-0. I know Seattle isn't the same as it was last season and their goal was kind of a goof but they are just like any club that if you don't take seriously they will murder you.
It's an away game so that's not good and we may have the same line up as we did today so you have to figure that in as well.
It will be a tuff game for our guys to play and for us to watch, but if we can get the 3 points it will be HUGE going into the World Cup break.

tfcleeds
05-23-2010, 06:24 AM
I think this match will provide a good yardstick to measure how we're coming along. San Jose indeed are doing very well so far this year...no pushovers by any means.

LesH
05-23-2010, 11:32 AM
It's an away game so that's not good and we may have the same line up as we did today so you have to figure that in as well.

No way in hell that we could have the same lineup. (if so ---> 90% fail)
But yes, it's tough call, because the Earthquakes are playing like a TEAM this season, and in many ways are kinda like us.

James17930
05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
How interesting that a TFC v. SJ game in May has such implications in the standings.

As always, a draw would be a great result (especially given the way they've been playing lately), a win fantastic.

DichioTFC
05-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Playing on the road should bring expectations of a draw. The boys have demonstrated they're capable of earning a draw on the road.

A win would be amazing, but I'm aiming for a draw while keeping the players as fresh and healthy for the NCC match on Wednesday.

Lucky Strike
05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't know how aware people are but in their win against Seattle last week, SJ was outshot something like 18-3. But I get the impression a lot of teams have made the mistake of underestimating SJ so let's not ourselves. I think a road win is certainly doable, particularly as the boys have a whole week to rest up. DeRo might be a little tired but that's it. Hopefully Attakora and JDG will be feeling better.

nascarguy
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM
sorry UFC is on I'll watch the highlights later but i will not be watching the game if there is UFC on

Brooker
05-25-2010, 04:33 AM
^^^ should we just cancel the game then? :D

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3589/91524726.jpg

twistedchinaman
05-25-2010, 07:19 AM
sorry UFC is on I'll watch the highlights later but i will not be watching the game if there is UFC on

There goes every shred of respect I had for you...

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Playing on the road should bring expectations of a draw. The boys have demonstrated they're capable of earning a draw on the road.

A win would be amazing, but I'm aiming for a draw while keeping the players as fresh and healthy for the NCC match on Wednesday.

Of course, if the unexpected happens, and Montreal ties or beats Vancouver, Preki can run out the scrubs on Wednesday.

nascarguy
05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
^^^ should we just cancel the game then? :D

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3589/91524726.jpg

could you move it to 4pm and make should there is no playoff game on ...lol:rolleyes:

ManUtd4ever
05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Yes, the lineup on Saturday will be determined to some extent by the outcome of the NCC match on Wednesday. If Vancouver wins against Montreal's B squad as suspected, I prefer Preki saves our best lineup for the NCC finale at BMO Field. I have confidence that whatever players take to the pitch against San Jose will be capable of earning a draw...

nascarguy
05-25-2010, 08:36 AM
There goes every shred of respect I had for you...
I fround a radio so I can listin to it on the fan590.

Globetrotter
05-25-2010, 08:37 AM
1-1.

jaxul
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Aren't the guys that missed this last game to play Argentina going to miss this game as well because of the Venezuela friendly?

Darlofletch
05-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Our terrible road record is misleading, for two reasons.

a) three of those road games took place during our "preseason" (thanks Mo) when we didn't have a settled team, and De Ro was our only in form player.

b) we've played reigning supporters shield holders and best team in the east, Columbus, reigning MLS cup holders and very tough place to play on the road RSL, best team in the league LA, and team altitude Colorado. The New England game is the only one so far that you'd look at and think we're in with a chance of a win, and that one we got Garcia'd.

I'd say this is another of those games where we've got a chance of a win. I'd be ok with a draw but would actually be disappointed with a loss in this one.

Darlofletch
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Aren't the guys that missed this last game to play Argentina going to miss this game as well because of the Venezuela friendly?

No, he picked a different squad for the second game, letting a lot of players go back to their clubs, De Ro included.

jaxul
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
No, he picked a different squad for the second game, letting a lot of players go back to their clubs, De Ro included.

Good stuff!

In that case I predict a 2-1 TFC win :scarf:

Pachuco
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
I expect three points from this game, provided we've got healthy, rested legs back in the squad - JDG, DeRo, Barrett, OBW, etc. It'd be nice to come out firing on all of our cylinders for the first game in a while.

Even if we don't, three points is likely. A win against Seattle proves nothing, as that team is in full-on crisis mode right now.

- Scott

I'm going to guess you haven't been watching San Jose lately. If there is a team that is seriously hot right now it's them. They didn't just beat Seattle in Seattle, they are in 2nd place in the ever so strong west division. They are particularly playing well at home now.

If you expect a win from this game, you could very well come out dissapointed. I would be quite happy with a draw again away from home.

Lucky Strike
05-25-2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/lukewilemanreports

JDG and Attakora back in training.

Brooker
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
If you expect a win from this game, you could very well come out dissapointed. I would be quite happy with a draw again away from home.

Sometimes you gotta expect the unexpected in MLS. :D

Gazza_55
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM

- Scott

Is DeRo back from Argentina? Is he playing against Venezuala?

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Is DeRo back from Argentina? Is he playing against Venezuala?

:rolleyes:

Your answer is just a few posts up in this very thread:

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm going to guess you haven't been watching San Jose lately. If there is a team that is seriously hot right now it's them. They didn't just beat Seattle in Seattle, they are in 2nd place in the ever so strong west division. They are particularly playing well at home now.

It's funny, I was actually thinking of Seattle, not San Jose, when I wrote that, haha. So you can disregard it.

With a full squad, I think three points is possible. As a road game against another tough opponent, I'd be satisfied with one.

A loss would disappoint me, but as long as we don't look terrible and play a competitive game, I'd be willing to look to the next match without too much complaint.

I'm actually optimistic for a win in this game. Hopefully the rest serves our team well, and we get all of our players back from their various knocks.

- Scott

jloome
05-26-2010, 06:35 PM

Their wins have not exactly been dominating. They were seriously outplayed in that Seattle game and in a few others, but their defense has been rock-like. I suspect we're looking at a nil-nil draw or a 1-0 one way or the other.

twistedchinaman
05-26-2010, 09:19 PM
If DeRo is in...2-1 TFC.

If DeRo is out...1-1 draw.

ManUtd4ever
05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, the lineup on Saturday will be determined to some extent by the outcome of the NCC match on Wednesday. If Vancouver wins against Montreal's B squad as suspected, I prefer Preki saves our best lineup for the NCC finale at BMO Field. I have confidence that whatever players take to the pitch against San Jose will be capable of earning a draw...

EDIT - TFC will earn their first road victory of the season against San Jose with our best starting lineup on the pitch. Thank you Montreal!

Gixmo
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/image_nodes/2010/05/cannon_0.jpg

'I can't wait to give up 3 goals! - We're gonna get torched by the 'Reds' - J.Cannon

KRO
05-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Mrs. KRO and I have been having a bit of a break in the San Jose area all week. We contacted a San Jose fan who's name we were given by CoachGT today. He has arranged complimentary tickets and has invited us to the tailgate on Saturday - "and don't bring anything".

This is all because he was treated so well when he came to Toronto. I didn't tell him that I'm not a paid up RPB so I will be correcting that when I get back.

Thanks guys.

Gazza_55
05-27-2010, 07:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Your answer is just a few posts up in this very thread:

Sorry. I must have missed a few posts scrolling on my phone.

KRO
05-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Report from San Jose:

We don't know how lucky we are.

Since arriving here last Sunday I have read the sports section of the San Jose Mercury every day. There has not been a single word about the Earthquakes. Plenty of comment on the Sharks demise and lots of Giants and Oakland 'A's reports but the 'Quakes might not exist.

I have not seen anyone in Earthquakes gear or had any comments on the TFC jacket I have been wearing all week. Soccer is really not on the radar.

Anyway, after a wet and cool week the weather was great today and is forecast good tomorrow. Bring on the game. Is there anyone else here or are we the only TFC fans in town?

Brooker
05-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Is there anyone else here or are we the only TFC fans in town?

I've heard this question a couple of times, and unless it's you who keeps asking, there's more.

There's even some kind of Ex Pat Canadian whatever u wanna call it get together for this game.

Respect for traveling to San Jose for TFC! Unless you were already there, then I'm just jealous of your vacation.

Limestone
05-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Is this game being streamed anywhere?

DichioTFC
05-29-2010, 03:06 PM
^ http://atdhe.net/19810/watch-toronto-fc-vs-san-jose-earthquakes

btw, ufc here: http://atdhe.net/6133/watch-ufc-114-rampage-vs-evans (ufc PPV might get shut down, but still, there it is)

H Bomb
05-29-2010, 03:21 PM
my folks went down for the game....pretty cool of them....if you see two grey haired 50 somethings in red...probably them!

Brooker
05-29-2010, 03:25 PM
my folks went down for the game....pretty cool of them....if you see two grey haired 50 somethings in red...probably them!

hooligans

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 03:31 PM
This game has to be about cracking the Quakes defence.

Injuries
San Jose
DOUBTFUL: MF Andre Luiz (L knee strain)
Toronto FC
OUT: DF Emmanuel Gomez (R knee osteochondral injury); DF Ty Harden (R leg laceration); QUESTIONABLE: DF Nana Attakora (R hip flexor); MF Julian de Guzman (L hamstring strain); DF Dan Gargan (R ankle sprain)

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh, and shutting down red-hot Chris Wondolowski!

Dub Narcotic
05-29-2010, 04:19 PM
What's Harden's prognosis?

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 04:23 PM
^I think he's out for this game but last week he was doing some running and training with the team

DichioTFC
05-29-2010, 04:42 PM
What's Harden's prognosis?

IMO we wont see Harden until after the WC break. Maybe a second half sub vs. Vancouver on Wednesday just to regain fitness.

Shakes McQueen
05-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I'd give him a run-out against Vancouver if he feels up to it. No need to rush him back into duty right now.

- Scott

devioustrevor
05-29-2010, 06:09 PM
What an awesome night for footy. Get to watch Canada-Venezuela and then TFC-San Jose.

s2cazz
05-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Ok here's my problem. I am stuck with the wife at a wedding and all I have is my iPhone. Where do I get live in game updates like goal.com does? I can't watch streams on my iPhone.

Batman
05-29-2010, 06:50 PM
even if you just check the game thread here you'll be up to date with what's going on.

s2cazz
05-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I've tried that before. Too much searching lol. If I have to I guess I have too. I was looking for something easy and dirty (knda like my wife when I met her lol).

I figured if anyone knew it would be someone in here.

Edit: nevermind. There's an app for that.

GBV
05-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Betting line:

San Jose -128
Toronto +454
Draw +259

O/U 2.5

deltox
05-29-2010, 07:09 PM
i use a JTV app

Auzzy
05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I can't find the Viewings thread... Anybody going to Scallywag's for the TFC game tonight?

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 07:12 PM
LA over CC 1-0 @ 30 minutes (and I bet a C note that a depleted LA would win over CC :D)

DC = Chivas 1-1 @ 30 minutes

tfcleeds
05-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Ne 1 Nyrb 0

Stryker
05-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Come on Revolution you pieces of shit.
New England and TFC wins today will put us a point over NY for 2nd in the east.

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 07:45 PM
NE over NY 2-1 @ 20 minutes

deltox
05-29-2010, 07:55 PM
LA 1 - CLB 0 - 60 min

deltox
05-29-2010, 07:56 PM
dc 1 - chivas 1 60 min

deltox
05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
87 min...LA 2 - CLB 0

DichioTFC
05-29-2010, 08:27 PM
87 min...LA 2 - CLB 0

NE over NY 2-1 @ 20 minutes

Good news for TFC so far

TFCRegina
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
NY and NE tie is actually great.

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 08:53 PM
In the pre-game show on GOL TV, Andi looks like she might have a stach shadow. Probably just my TV right?

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 08:59 PM
According to GOL Dero won't be starting - due to travel fatigue?

jimiv
05-29-2010, 09:00 PM
In the pre-game show on GOL TV, Andi looks like she might have a stach shadow. Probably just my TV right?

You're absolutly correct, I noticed it but thought it may be too mean to mention.

DOMIN8R
05-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Mods - are we nailing up a member chat for this one?

deltox
05-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Ne 3. Ny 2

DOMIN8R
No JDG in the starting 11 either.

deltox
Dero and jdg are in bench

deltox
05-29-2010, 09:03 PM
If we win we go second in the east

twistedchinaman
05-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Game Thread is open!

rilla
05-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Has anyone found a working online stream for this game yet?