PDA

View Full Version : Isn't this refreshing?

Shakes McQueen
05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Man, I was driving around today after the win over the Revs, and it really struck me just how, well, nice things are right now as a TFC supporter. Probably for the first time in the club's existence, with the exception of maybe year one, when we didn't give a shit about the results.

For the first time ever, we are having debates about whether a draw on the road was a good result (i.e. Vancouver), instead of losing our minds over who is the shittiest TFC player, after getting wallpapered 2-0 or 3-0 by some team we should have beaten.

We aren't being suffocated by locker room drama, or posting non-stop about how abysmal our defending is. We aren't freaking out when games reach the 75 minute mark.

Things are just... good. And it doesn't feel like that "we got lucky" or "flash in the pan" type of good, either. It feels like a group of guys really coming together around a new system, working harder and for each other, and grinding out results. I'm really positive about this group at the moment, and it feels great. Preki is squeezing every last drop out of this team.

And I'm also thrilled beyond measure that my never-ending faith in Chad Barrett is finally being rewarded.

So how about that, guys? How are you feeling?

- Scott

Flipityflu
05-22-2010, 06:04 PM
your last point is the best part. those of us long term Barrett supporters couldn't be happier to have a bunch of new members. its great to see hard work pay off. certainly have confidence that we are moving in the right direction. Adrian Cann has turned out to be a fantastic signing.

one thing though. i don't like Nick Garcia anymore than most people, but i don't think booing his name being announced is the right thing to do.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

I nearly feel asleep during today's game.

We are so thin that Garcia was our captain today.

If Joseph had been match fit he would have scored on those free headers.

Mo must go!

Have at 'er…

denime
05-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm happy for the boys on the pitch, but for supporters too.

It's nice to come to RPB board and don't get right away 2-3 reported posts,and just like you said debating who was our shitiest player on the field.

Right now I'm enjoying the moment, and cold :drinking:

:cheers:

denime
05-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

Mo must go!

Have at 'er…

I don't know should I ban you for a week or a month for being a :troll:, really?

How about ,you ban yourself from this thread ,and everything is ok.

rocker
05-22-2010, 06:23 PM

Visit your doctor. Falling asleep during the day is usually a sign of an underlying physical problem.

ManUtd4ever
05-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Man, I was driving around today after the win over the Revs, and it really struck me just how, well, nice things are right now as a TFC supporter. Probably for the first time in the club's existence, with the exception of maybe year one, when we didn't give a shit about the results.

For the first time ever, we are having debates about whether a draw on the road was a good result (i.e. Vancouver), instead of losing our minds over who is the shittiest TFC player, after getting wallpapered 2-0 or 3-0 by some team we should have beaten.

We aren't being suffocated by locker room drama, or posting non-stop about how abysmal our defending is. We aren't freaking out when games reach the 75 minute mark.

Things are just... good. And it doesn't feel like that "we got lucky" or "flash in the pan" type of good, either. It feels like a group of guys really coming together around a new system, working harder and for each other, and grinding out results. I'm really positive about this group at the moment, and it feels great. Preki is squeezing every last drop out of this team.

And I'm also thrilled beyond measure that my never-ending faith in Chad Barrett is finally being rewarded.

- Scott

I agree Scott, and I echoed your sentiments earlier in the season. The most encouraging sign is that despite the difficult schedule and roster shuffling, TFC is off to a very respectable start to the season.

I actually thought TFC would be slower out of the gate and start coming together in the second half but it seems clear that this group has already bought into Preki's defensive team oriented system and are executing effectively, especially while protecting the lead.

The players brought in late in the pre-season have started to contribute on a consistent basis. Incumbent players such as DeRo, Barrett, White, Attakora, and Sanyang have played at a higher level of intensity as well. JDG has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't even reached his potential yet.

Overall, I think we have yet to see what this club is truly capable of under Preki's tutelage which bodes well for our chances of legitimate success this season...

Beach_Red
05-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes, it's refreshing. It feels good. The team has fight.

Oldtimer
05-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Overall, I think we have yet to see what this club is truly capable of under Preki's tutelage which bodes well for our chances of legitimate success this season...

... and hopefully Preki can get us into the post season, and in so doing become the very first coach in TFC history to be with us for 2 seasons.

Imagine next year, with a fully jelled squad, a proper pre-season for everyone, no longer carrying most of salaries of people we dumped due to Mo's multi-year deals, and the ability to add a few key pieces. Next year TFC could actually challenge for something beyond the Voyageur's Cup.

Darlofletch
05-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I agree.

it's disconcerting though, I'm by nature a very cynical person, I need to have something to complain about.

I'm quite uncomfortable with all this relative success.:confused:

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 07:15 PM
As one of the vocal voices against TFC mismanagement, I for one am happy to report that I am enjoying this great period of TFC results and I won't ruin it with complaints or disatisfaction. When things are going wrong, I will stand up and point them out. But life is short, and when things are going great, you never know when they're going to end, so I for one will take it by the horns and milk it for everything I can. Time for complaints will come. I have no doubt.

I am very happy with Barrett's current form and the happiness on his face is happiness for me. Walk on Chad...keep it up!

:scarf::tfc::party:

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know should I ban you for a week or a month for being a :troll:, really?

How about ,you ban yourself from this thread ,and everything is ok.

Ha! Ha!

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, Denime…like I said…I'll bite.

If your happy with Nick Garcia as captain…that's cool…your entitled…the board is all about opinions. But please don't suggested that people are not entitled to their's.

Sure, I'll take the three points…for me, today illustrated how much we depend on DeRo and JDG. How we had trouble getting a grasp of the midfield and how we still don't have someone who can finish. The team did work very hard today and we're rewarded. Bravo.

I was hoping in the absence of our top two I'd see some "bench strength"…personally, I didn't but it's still early! We can make changes!

But in order to move forward we need to get better and…in my opinion…we still need a striker (sorry Chad's not it) and a CB to advance to the next level.

But that's just my opinion…which apparently is worthy of banning? :facepalm:

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Ha! Ha!

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, Denime…like I said…I'll bite.

If your happy with Nick Garcia as captain…that's cool…your entitled…the board is all about opinions. But please don't suggested that people are not entitled to their's.

Sure, I'll take the three points…for me, today illustrated how much we depend on DeRo and JDG. How we had trouble getting a grasp of the midfield and how we still don't have someone who can finish. The team did work very hard today and we're rewarded. Bravo.

I was hoping in the absence of our top two I'd see some "bench strength"…personally, I didn't but it's still early! We can make changes!

But in order to move forward we need to get better and…in my opinion…we still need a striker (sorry Chad's not it) and a CB to advance to the next level.

But that's just my opinion…which apparently is worthy of banning? :facepalm:

There is nothing factually wrong with your post TB, but at the end of the day we have to ask ourselves if there will ever be a time that we can enjoy this team or not. There is so little to celebrate that my recommendation to all Toronto fans is to enjoy the good news and good results when they come, because surely, we will see bad times again, all the more likely if Mo sticks around of course.

Sometimes, it's just fun (and healthy) to celebrate 3 points.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-22-2010, 07:26 PM
There is nothing factually wrong with your post TB, but at the end of the day we have to ask ourselves if there will ever be a time that we can enjoy this team or not. There is so little to celebrate that my recommendation to all Toronto fans is to enjoy the good news and good results when they come, because surely, we will see bad times again, all the more likely if Mo sticks around of course.

Now there's a MOD who get's it!

Point taken Roogsy.

Like I stated in my very first post, "I'll bite"…I didn't say "they sucked"!

Darlofletch
05-22-2010, 07:26 PM
we had our three best players out and we still won.

discipline, organisation and working hard for each other, preki's got us playing hard. this was probably one of the worst line-ups we'll put out all season, and they got the job done. we're like the puerto rico islanders last year, except we have three really good players to put back into the line up.

Ideally we'd add more quality on top of those 3 players. we clearly need another striker, so we can have someone good and chad, and white on the bench. ibbe really isn't up to the job, neither is gala, and I'm not really convinced by white, he's a sub at best.

either way, yes it's really refreshing to be complaining and nit picking about minor things after our 5th consecutive home win, and 5th consecutive undefeated game.

preki is god. That's a drunken overexagerration, buit he's really really good.

jazzy
05-22-2010, 07:27 PM

- Scott[/quote]

Notice how the boards are actually occasonally boring...no heartfelt anger, happiness is deflating. Posts are actually popping up with interesting ideas.....LOL...However,,,

I am/was a Barrett critic, he has come a long way, and would still be overreacting, without the srong confidence support given by JDG, DeRo as well the coach. Attacking from the wings and now giving strong accurate passes is his strenghth....and I for one am thankfull for that. It is when we ask him to do everything that, in his favour, he does try and obviously fails.......I don't mind eating my past criticisms if he carries on as he does.....it's never been as we know a question of his effort....He is now in many ways a crucial part of the team. I'm glad to be proven wrong...he is making a decent wage, remember, for the faith you've had the past years.

Beach_Red
05-22-2010, 08:03 PM

And three points from a lot of bench players is worth celebrating.

As for Mo his bosses do seem to like him. Anyway, here's how I look at it. Mo had nowhere near enough experience to be handed a team (especially an expansion team), that never should have happened, but that's on the guy who hired him not him. Since then he's gained experience. Has he become better at his job? Most people do get better their first four years in a job. It's too bad we paid for his on-the-job-training, but you never know, we might get something back for that now.

Inswingingwingman
05-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I all for this golly gee let's have fun thing. It's been hard, cold, freezing cold, and I do everything to tape or see every game, except for the opener last year MLS treated me with tickets and it took 24 hours to thaw out after. That was one of the highlights of my life.

Now I did fall asleep, and yes there is chemo and radiation behind the sleeping but I can rewind.

I still hope at the end of the day the kindergarten teachers give us enough money to pay for a decent bench. But who knows, the Leafs don't seem to need anyone at all, and are content to fill the stands with guys in 2,000 suits buying each other single malts while the real supporters pull out their alleged hair.

I'm for one glad they have a few days rest.

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 08:33 PM
And three points from a lot of bench players is worth celebrating.

As for Mo his bosses do seem to like him. Anyway, here's how I look at it. Mo had nowhere near enough experience to be handed a team (especially an expansion team), that never should have happened, but that's on the guy who hired him not him. Since then he's gained experience. Has he become better at his job? Most people do get better their first four years in a job. It's too bad we paid for his on-the-job-training, but you never know, we might get something back for that now.

Let's not make this thread into a thread about Mo. There's plenty on there for that and if anyone else reacts to your statement about Mo the way I did initially, the thread will go from good to bad quick. How about we don't tempt fate and let the positive thread stay positive for once?

james
05-22-2010, 09:03 PM
we have been winning games lately yes, and are perfect at home. But its early and hard to say if we are actuallly a good team this year.

And todays game was pretty borring i agree, what was with so many players rolling on the ground today to? wasted so much time.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-22-2010, 09:09 PM
^ I think boring is a bit harsh. There was some ebb and flow, some high and low, but there was some good attacking movements and some desperate defending, both of which provided some excitement.

I'm feeling good about the team, I still think there are a few holes, but it's looking good. One thing I've learned, never listen to the Internet. People here and on other forums were saying Cann is Canada's version of Garcia - as if.

Beach_Red
05-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Let's not make this thread into a thread about Mo. There's plenty on there for that and if anyone else reacts to your statement about Mo the way I did initially, the thread will go from good to bad quick. How about we don't tempt fate and let the positive thread stay positive for once?

Ha ha, deal :D.

Daveisonfire
05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Are you watching giambac?

TFCUNITED
05-22-2010, 09:56 PM

- Scott

I feel you should concentrate on the road when your driving. ;) It's really refreshing that once the 75 minute mark roles around, you don't think about how long it is going to be before they screw it up. Sometimes you are going to blow a lead at the end of the game but that happens. Unlike last year where it was game after game of blown leads and points.

Globetrotter
05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Things felt good early May of last year when we were sitting first place. Even in season 1 by mid May we had just beaten Chicago and then Houston and were in the running.

Reality check. Look at our history, we've always started out half decent. Everything goes south after Fathers day. Not just south, but absolutely plummets. Look at our end of season schedule. Where is the fortress? It's on the road... no home games. We have a history of failure mid-late season.

Things looking good now? Yes... they always have this time of season... each time in our first three seasons (we did have first place in both year 2 and 3 for a brief moment). Things change. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and reality.

I do feel things will be different this year though, and I say that thanks to our defense (amazingly). Cann has done wonders, and Sangyang... good for him.

We'll do better this time around, but unless you have a really short memory, you should remember just how well we were sitting in previous years...

TFC USA
05-22-2010, 10:27 PM
mighty: Told u the five year plan would work!

Yohan
05-22-2010, 10:56 PM

Preki and DeRo gets massive props for getting Barrett out of his funk. Love seeing Barrett playing well

tfcleeds
05-22-2010, 11:17 PM
You have to be encouraged by the performance today...although we weren't great, we still came away with the result. Can't complain when we've now not conceded a goal in four consecutive matches. Preki really does seem to be whipping the lads into shape. And Barrett has just been on fire lately...arguably should have had a hat-trick today.

JonO
05-22-2010, 11:26 PM

Bench strength is a rarity in MLS due to the budget constraints. That being said, how many teams in the world could replace the spine of their team (JDG, Dero and Nana) without missing a step? I would argue very few, if any. We still have holes to address, but we're doing better than I thought...

manic.street.preacher
05-23-2010, 04:55 AM
i see progress, and that is worth celebrating. we got three points, and that is worth celebrating ... we still have things to work on and gaps to be filled etc but i'm quite content with what i'm seeing and if we play out the rest of this season like we have so far, i'll be more than happy ... when Preki took over, all i wanted to see was a team that played like a team. now that the politicking has left centre stage and there's been a bit of a culture change/attitude change in the locker room, it looks like we're well on our way to being the 'All for One' team that we want to be

ps not gonna lie, every time we pass the 75 minute mark, a feeling of dread still sets in

pps i like kool aid

Carts
05-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Okay, I'll bite.

Mo must go!

Have at 'er…

Simply put, you're gonna die of a heart attack if you're this miserable all the time...

Learn to enjoy things or life sucks...

I feel sorry for you - actually, I don't care...

Have at 'er...

Carts...

Globetrotter
05-23-2010, 08:03 AM

IF Usanov wasn't on a red card.
IF De Guzman wasn't injured.
IF DeRo wasn't gone to help Canada.

IF your IF came true, and my IF's came true, we would have still beaten NE, no matter how many Joseph headers went in.

James Oliphant
05-23-2010, 01:24 PM
How do I feel? About the same way I feel every May...

2010 (http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=1)
2009 (http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=213)
2008 (http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=192)
2007 (http://gotorontofc.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=139)

H Bomb
05-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Its been a nice few weeks. But we've had nice few weeks before. Once we can do something positive for a few months I'll be genuinely happy. But things arent bad right now, that's for sure.

ManUtd4ever
05-23-2010, 02:00 PM
It may seem like history is merely repeating itself but I sense a genuine difference in the feel of this club over those of years past. Time will tell...

ParadymeTFC
05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
There is definitely a change in the overall feel of the team and it is breeding confidence on and off the pitch. I am gonna eat crow to admit it but Preki is the root of it all and its the first time ever that I can go into every game thinking we can get something out of it.

I am hoping we can pick up points before the world cup break and then come back full strength and have a good run to carry us into the post season.

A second DP sure wouldn't hurt that cause though.

[NBF]
05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Geezus...............For Crying out loud!

This team is doing better now that its been almost 2 months into the season but like we always say, the preseason is the time to be tinkering, not during the regular season.

Thats not to mention that the team was rebuilt or reorganized, whatever you wanna call it, the team is behind the ball in alot of areas but its showing progress.

Now if you want to compare this run of good form to the great Carver run of 2008, well than we have to wait to see if Preki does what he was hired to do.

It wasnt long ago people, but remember this, without DeRo, DeGuzman, or Frei.

THE GREAT CARVER RUN:
Games Played- 13, Wins- 6, Losses-4, Ties-3, Points: 21.

March 29, 2008- Columbus Crew 2:0 Toronto FC(A)
April 5, 2008- DC United 4:1 Toronto FC(A)
April 13, 2008- Los Angeles 2:3 Toronto FC(A)
April 19, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 1:0 Real Salt Lake
April 26, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 2:0 KC Wizards
May 1, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 1:1 NYRB
May 17, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 0:0 Columbus Crew
May 21, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 1:0 DC United
May 24, 2008- DC United 3:2 Toronto FC(A)
May 31, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 2:0 LA Galaxy
June 8, 2008- Houston Dynamo 3:1 Toronto FC(A)
June 14, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 3:1 Colorado Rapids
June 21, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 0:0 KC Wizards

PREKI'S HOME RUN:
Games Played- 9, Wins- 4, Loss- 4, Tie- 1, Points: 13.

March 27, 2008- Columbus Crew 2:0 Toronto FC(A)
April 10, 2008- NE Revolution 4:1 Toronto FC(A)
April 15, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 2:1 Philadelphia Union
April 18, 2008- Colorado Rapids 3:1 Toronto FC(A)
April 25, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 2:0 Seattle Sounders
May 1, 2008- Real Salt Lake 2:1 Toronto FC(A)
May 8, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 4:1 Chicago Fire
May 15, 2008- LA Galaxy 0:0 Toronto FC(A)
May 22, 2008- (H)Toronto FC 1:0 NE Revolution

DichioTFC
05-23-2010, 07:32 PM

- Scott

last take it a step further. lets start talking playoffs.

i'm calling for us to go second in the East. Call me crazy or a homer or overly positive but thats how i sees it

Oldtimer
05-23-2010, 09:12 PM
It may seem like history is merely repeating itself but I sense a genuine difference in the feel of this club over those of years past. Time will tell...

That's my sense as well.

It isn't even the home record, or the players. I put it down to the coaching.

Luca
05-23-2010, 09:16 PM
last take it a step further. lets start talking playoffs.

i'm calling for us to go second in the East. Call me crazy or a homer or overly positive but thats how i sees it

I think that really has to be our target this year. We have the talent (mind you, we've always had the talent) and we have the coaching. It's now a case of whether the team can stay gelled throughout the season. If they can, we'll be strong candidates for second and challenging for first.

cochrdoc
05-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Who would of thought we would be 4-4-1 after the preseason and start to the season.Our defence is starting to give up fewer goals and not giving up the winning or tieing goal in the last 10 minutes.I find Preki a strange bird but the results are coming and if they can continue this they will make the play-offs.Even Garcia is playing better,but I still think he belongs on the bench.People expext this to be EPL level soccer.This is the best we have in Canada,so enjoy

Toronto_Bhoy
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
we would have still beaten NE, no matter how many Joseph headers went in.

WTF???

dag
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
:grouphug:

:scarf:

Shakes McQueen
05-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Playing the "IF" game is pointless. If we had hit some of those golden chances in the first half, we might have won by a bigger margin. If DeRo and JDG weren't on international duty, maybe we would have won by a larger margin.

- Scott

Toronto_Bhoy
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Simply put, you're gonna die of a heart attack if you're this miserable all the time...

Learn to enjoy things or life sucks...

I feel sorry for you - actually, I don't care...

Have at 'er...

Carts...

Miserable all the time??? Says who???

Gee Carts…I appreciate your sentiments.

I'm not miserable, in fact, those who know me understand where I stand…people jump on the the MLSE (Leafs mindset) bandwagon…book a spot on Bay Street for the Parade based on Saturday's victory…not me! I'm pleased with the 3 points not the performance.

All I said…was what I said…if you disagree that's cool. I wasn't overly impressed with yesterday performance. This isn't a wind up…this is how I feel about TFC!

Nick Garcia, IMO, is not worthy of the TFC captaincy…you disagree…I respect that.

Preki's style of play, IMO, is boring and uninspiring…you disagree…I respect that.

A fit Shalrie Joseph, IMO, would have punished us today…you disagree…I respect that.

This team doesn't need to just win…this team must get better to move forward!!!

Like I said…I'll bite. I'm not going to die…I'm not miserable…my life is fabulous…but if your existence hinges on Saturday's performance well…I respect that:)

TFCRegina
05-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Bench strength is a rarity in MLS due to the budget constraints. That being said, how many teams in the world could replace the spine of their team (JDG, Dero and Nana) without missing a step? I would argue very few, if any. We still have holes to address, but we're doing better than I thought...

We missed a step...a lot of them in fact.

But a result is a result and the more I think about the game, the happier I am with the result.

We walked away with 3 points against New England (ft. Substance Abuser) without De Ro, De Guz or Nana. That in and of itself is enough to be extremely pleased.

Did we play great football? Probably not, but we didn't need to. That's readily apparent.

Also, we scored off our sole corner kick of the game and Barrett was setting up plays like nobody's business.

In lieu of De Ro, Barrett filled the gap.

I was pleased with the result, even if I think our team lacked a lot of the talent that the Canadian Corps brings to the table.

TFCRegina
05-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Miserable all the time??? Says who???

Gee Carts…I appreciate your sentiments.

I'm not miserable, in fact, those who know me understand where I stand…people jump on the the MLSE (Leafs mindset) bandwagon…book a spot on Bay Street for the Parade based on Saturday's victory…not me! I'm pleased with the 3 points not the performance.

All I said…was what I said…if you disagree that's cool. I wasn't overly impressed with yesterday performance. This isn't a wind up…this is how I feel about TFC!

Nick Garcia, IMO, is not worthy of the TFC captaincy…you disagree…I respect that.

[b[Preki's style of play, IMO, is boring and uninspiring…you disagree…I respect that.[/b]

A fit Shalrie Joseph, IMO, would have punished us today…you disagree…I respect that.

This team doesn't need to just win…this team must get better to move forward!!!

Like I said…I'll bite. I'm not going to die…I'm not miserable…my life is fabulous…but if your existence hinges on Saturday's performance well…I respect that:)

What was so boring about it? He can't physically run out there and finish the chances that many of our players are unable to do.

The team is creating chances, they just have to finish, and he can't control the ability of a player to finish. He can try to coach them in practice but ultimately all the coaching in the world won't help if the player can't pull the trigger under pressure.

We play good defensively, we create chances...we win. I don't find that boring.

The 0-0 game against LA? Definitely was exciting for me.

The 0-0 game against Vancouver wasn't...but the lack of De Guz in the midfield stood out like a sore thumb. Without him, the passing degraded quickly.

This last game was similar, but we still pulled away the result. When De Ro, Nana and De Guz are all back, it won't look sloppy.

But sloppy or not, winning is not boring...not after 3 years of failure.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Preki's style was well document long before he came here. And I am not the first on this board to say this.

I understand people prefer victory over style...that's cool.

But just because a team wins doesn't make it exciting or entertaining.

I am happy with win. Less so with the quality of football...the novelty of MLS is evapourating for me. After 3 seasons I'm looking for value (and improvement for my $75 a week x 4). IMO, I didn't see it on Saturday. I did see 3 points but at that price I'm looking for a tad more...

Am I expecting too much? Perhaps you guys are right and I should lower my expectations?

Blizzard
05-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Preki's style was well document long before he came here. And I am not the first on this board to say this.

I am happy with win. Less so with the quality of football...the novelty of MLS is evapourating for me. After 3 seasons I'm looking for value (and improvement for my $75 a week x 4). IMO, I didn't see it on Saturday. I did see 3 points but at that price I'm looking for a tad more...

Am I expecting too much? Perhaps you guys are right and I should lower my expectations?

A win is a win and that is what we need right now. An entertaining loss is not acceptable. A boring victory is entirely acceptable to me. Entertaining losses are not going to get us into the play-offs. Sure, you are a putting a lot of money into TFC coffers and are totally entitled to feel the way you do but I doubt I'm alone in being thankful for any win we can get anyway we can get it.

jloome
05-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I'm very optimistic right now. It just seems we have a coach that has concentrated on drilling team shape and players supporting one another into their performance, very much as Bruce Arena has done in LA and has been the case for several seasons in Houston under Kinnear.

It would be nice to get a couple more depth players but this team will compete well all season, I think. And we'll make the playoffs if they stick with the system.

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2010, 01:14 AM

Yes, you need to lower your expectations. The price of tickets really has no bearing on the level of play on the field - it's the salary cap that will directly affect that.

If simply being happy to have a local professional team to support, and wins aren't enough for you, then perhaps you should just reconsider renewing your tickets.

The lack of overall skill in MLS is extremely frustrating sometimes, but I've accepted that it's going to be this way for a while.

- Scott

DichioTFC
05-24-2010, 02:13 AM

Yes, because the team won, it makes it incredibly exciting and entertaining. I find great joy when TFC / Montreal Canadiens / Buffalo Bills etc. win. In the end, it doesn't matter how they won. The records will not state "TFC won the NCC but special mention to Vancouver for being really really good".

If you're not finding fair value for the amount that you're paying then that's something else altogether. But that's a personal decision. Coming here and discussing the value of the match, when many people were satisfied with the match, and then wondering why people dont agree with you; well, i can't understand why you would do that.

The way I sees it, if you dont find your investment / purchase of value, then you try to recoup / profit as best you can. Go sell your seasons and dont renew next year. Seriously, there's a sense of "dont complain about something unless you're willing to do something about it."

So keep your expectations where they are, its good to have high expectations. But if you've paid good money and you're not seeing the value you expected then sell your tickets, move on and come back with the rest of the bandwagon.

Roogsy
05-24-2010, 02:22 AM
The problem I am seeing with this discussion is that I hope that those who have unreasonably high expectations won't get lumped in with the rest of us that are demanding progressive improvement and competitiveness from the team in a reasonable way. It's not the same thing.

Sadly however, what started as a positive thread seems to have headed back down the route dividing those who are complacent and those who are overdemanding. And frankly, I don't agree with either side.

J .
05-24-2010, 02:31 AM
Its still early in the season, the team has a long road and I dont think Preki is taking anything for granted. There are many months in between now and the MLS Cup. Its good they won without their top three players, it shows there is depth in the squad. Barrett and White are looking better, more confident players.

I dont think we were as bad as our initial losses and we could have lost some of the games we won. The most important thing is that early in the season they are working hard for points now. They will need to scrape a few road wins together and maintain home form for the club to really be considered a contending team.

To be honest Cann was a player I was unsure of but his hard work and willingness to be physical has won me over. I didnt like him when he was with Vancouver, but he really has improved.

I still think we are weak on the wings. I dont think we will know what Peterson has for us until July/August, he needs to find his form, but Gala, Gargan or LaBrocca do it for me as starting attacking wide players, I like them as serviceable, but I would like to see improvement there and another striker. I think White and Barrett are looking like solid players. It would be nice if they could bring in another young striker like Bunbury in :)

DichioTFC
05-24-2010, 02:32 AM
The problem I am seeing with this discussion is that I hope that those who have unreasonably high expectations won't get lumped in with the rest of us that are demanding progressive improvement and competitiveness from the team in a reasonable way. It's not the same thing.

Sadly however, what started as a positive thread seems to have headed back down the route dividing those who are complacent and those who are overdemanding. And frankly, I don't agree with either side.

You're right. Changes need to happen and let's not forget why there was so much chaos in the club to start the season, the reason we missed the playoffs for year after year after year (cough..cough.. MO).

But it is nice, for once, to be proud of the 11 on the pitch for their effort in a hard fought match and to be confident heading on the road and heading into the NCC final (bring that trophy to the Bunker!)
:scarf:

DichioTFC
05-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Its still early in the season, the team has a long road and I dont think Preki is taking anything for granted. There are many months in between now and the MLS Cup. Its good they won without their top three players, it shows there is depth in the squad. Barrett and White are looking better, more confident players.

I dont think we were as bad as our initial losses and we could have lost some of the games we won. The most important thing is that early in the season they are working hard for points now. They will need to scrape a few road wins together and maintain home form for the club to really be considered a contending team.

To be honest Cann was a player I was unsure of but his hard work and willingness to be physical has won me over. I didnt like him when he was with Vancouver, but he really has improved.

I still think we are weak on the wings. I dont think we will know what Peterson has for us until July/August, he needs to find his form, but Gala, Gargan or LaBrocca do it for me as starting attacking wide players, I like them as serviceable, but I would like to see improvement there and another striker. I think White and Barrett are looking like solid players. It would be nice if they could bring in another young striker like Bunbury in :)

Agree with everything except bringing in another striker. I know I might be in the minority on this one, but I want the Barrett & OBW partnership to continue with DeRo poaching and LaBrocca / Cronin feeding them in. The system isn't perfect yet but its good so far and I'm sure the more playing time they'll all get together the better it'll be. Another young striker might upset the delicate balance that Preki's established.

Besides, OBW is our young striker :)

Oldtimer
05-24-2010, 07:38 AM

You know Scott, you're right. Things are definitely looking up. It will take a while for people to feel positive overall (after 3+ years of TFC failure due to Mo and 43 years for the Leafs, that's no surprise) but I do sense a more positive vibe.

About entertaining play: It's hard to see the boys playing their best after that long and hard road trip, missing their 3 best players. In MLS, the bench strength is usually a cut below the best. Looking forward to seeing a rested TFC with everyone back!

Carts
05-24-2010, 07:58 AM
(after 3+ years of TFC failure due to Mo and 43 years for the Leafs, that's no surprise) but I do sense a more positive vibe.

This is something that is true - but unfortunately not fair...

I feel bad for members of the TFC Front Office staff sometimes, because they get lumped in with the Leafs failure to win a championship, to charge insane ticket prices, etc...

Should people be critical of TFC's success or lack their of in their 3-years of play - YES... Should they be pissed b/c "MLSE" hasn't won a title in over 40-years, NO...

Mo Johnston didn't trade John Kordic for Russ Courtnall... Paul Beirne didn't screw old ticket holders over when the Leafs moved from MLG to ACC... And account reps at TFC didn't set seat licenses for platinums at the rate of a house mortgage...

The TFC staff (not the larger MLSE body) needs to be held accountable for their time - not the failures of the company before the team, or them, ever existed...

Carts...

ensco
05-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Am I a terminal curmudgeon if I say that I'm more "happy mystified" than "happy satisfied"?

It's fantastic that we're right in the thick of things, and in control in the CCL, after that atrocious start. That Chicago game was probably the best game I've ever seen TFC play.

But, in the bigger picture, I don't think I exactly can connect the dots between the results and the way we look on the field. The fact is, the other three home wins could very easily have been draws or even worse. The road games, we have been horrible in every one of them ex the LA game.

I'm not really believing we're a good team yet, but not because I'm incapable of believing. Not because we've swan dived every year, just based on the sum of how we've looked overall.

We all know that what really matters is how you look down the stretch anyway. This is what Preki harps on, every post game press interview. We do have a real shot. Here's hoping.

S_D
05-24-2010, 08:25 AM
What ensco said.

And just to add I do agree with Toronto_Bhoy. Glad that we are seeing some wins, but the footie has been very unentertaining. More like a game of pong than anything else. I dunno, I guess we are in the minority?? We like to see wins and some good positive soccer as well??? But, I do have hope for the future when we see some more cash coming in so some player upgrades can be made.

Yes, you need to lower your expectations. The price of tickets really has no bearing on the level of play on the field - it's the salary cap that will directly affect that.

- Scott

erm there are limits. There are teams that play very attractively in the MLS. I would say that yes the salary cap does play a big role but it is more about how the GM manages the cap compared to the other teams. Been mismanaged in the past, and we paid for it, but with Preki in there I think he can temper Mo and make sure he doesn't blow it.

denime
05-24-2010, 08:39 AM

It has nothing to do with being complacent or over demanding,it is about trolling.
That's why :troll: should be given a week vacation and this thread still would be positive.

v00d00daddy
05-24-2010, 09:05 AM
I agree that it's kinda shitty that...in a thread that started off so positively...it was brought to a halt by a poster who had a negative spin on the situation.

That being said....he may be right...it's a matter of opinion.....but

for those of you pissed off at somebody coming into this thread and disagreeing...or "trolling"....just remember that the next time there is a thread about something negative and you feel the urge to jump in with the old

......"you're not a real supporter.....thick and thin.....good times bad times......blah blah blah"

It goes both ways.

MUFC_Niagara
05-24-2010, 09:23 AM
It has nothing to do with being complacent or over demanding,it is about trolling.
That's why :troll: should be given a week vacation and this thread still would be positive.

Stating an opinion is not trolling. That post was reasonable. You're abusing power here I am afraid.

TFCRegina
05-24-2010, 09:27 AM
This is something that is true - but unfortunately not fair...

I feel bad for members of the TFC Front Office staff sometimes, because they get lumped in with the Leafs failure to win a championship, to charge insane ticket prices, etc...

Should people be critical of TFC's success or lack their of in their 3-years of play - YES... Should they be pissed b/c "MLSE" hasn't won a title in over 40-years, NO...

Mo Johnston didn't trade John Kordic for Russ Courtnall... Paul Beirne didn't screw old ticket holders over when the Leafs moved from MLG to ACC... And account reps at TFC didn't set seat licenses for platinums at the rate of a house mortgage...

The TFC staff (not the larger MLSE body) needs to be held accountable for their time - not the failures of the company before the team, or them, ever existed...

Carts...

Should read: In 1 year

Voyageurs' Cup baby!

Beach_Red
05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Should read: In 1 year

Voyageurs' Cup baby!

Good point.

On this board we sometimes read about, "North American thinking," and I've wondered if the, "only one trophy worth winning," is one of those ways of thinking.

The Leafs could win the Presidents' Trophy every year and if they don't win the Stanley Cup they're failures.

We're just not used to this idea of more than one thing worth winning.

denime
05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Stating an opinion is not trolling. That post was reasonable. You're abusing power here I am afraid.

stating an opinion that someone is trolling is not abusing power,it is my opinion.

Now I think we should all go :topic:

Lucky Strike
05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
When reading this thread, it occurred to me that the whole thing about complaining about style (or lack of it) and how TFC is boring and unskilled initially seems to be a negative opinion. But the fact that there are Debbie Downers out there is counter-intuitively a positive thing.

Rewind to last year, we were all crying out for wins and we didn't care how they happened. Now we have wins coming so we can move to wanting something less fundamental like style. It's like Maslow hierarchy of needs, really. A man who has absolutely nothing will first be wanting just food to survive, that's his primary goal. Once he moves away from the possibility of death by starvation, he'll shift his attention to wanting something a little less basic like shelter. Once he has shelter, he'll want something else a little less basic of life's needs and so on...

Last year, we were the starving man wanting food (wins). Now we have wins coming and we're able to focus on the style of how those wins comes. So take the negativity, turn it around and disarm the depressed.

scooter
05-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Agree with everything except bringing in another striker. I know I might be in the minority on this one, but I want the Barrett & OBW partnership to continue with DeRo poaching and LaBrocca / Cronin feeding them in. The system isn't perfect yet but its good so far and I'm sure the more playing time they'll all get together the better it'll be. Another young striker might upset the delicate balance that Preki's established.

Besides, OBW is our young striker :)

totally agree that obw is the future but i think we still need to build more depth
an older more experience striker could come in and do the job for us while helping obw and barrett further develop and progress
although our back four is comming together more depth there would be good because i would imaging nana will get called up to the national team
peterson played some lovely balls into the box and although we did not capitalize on them all the fact that the balls were comming shows tremendous progress for the team

overall this is great and another 3 points in the book :scarf:

Suds
05-24-2010, 10:28 AM
... It's like Maslow hierarchy of needs, really. A man who has absolutely nothing will first be wanting just food to survive, that's his primary goal. Once he moves away from the possibility of death by starvation, he'll shift his attention to wanting something a little less basic like shelter. Once he has shelter, he'll want something else a little less basic of life's needs and so on...

I've yet to move beyond my need for beer. Not sure what that says about my development. :D

On Topic

I'm with Scott's OP. I'm going to enjoy this small stretch positive results, time without dressing room rumours or drama, the fact it actually didn't rain much at all Saturday, etc.

I don't think the point of this thread is to say we've reached utopia. Just take a minute and feel good about our team for a little while.

MUFC_Niagara
05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
stating an opinion that someone is trolling is not abusing power,it is my opinion.

Now I think we should all go :topic:

Threatening to ban someone for having an opinion is...