PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: TFC 1 NE 0 "BMO, The Fortress Pt. 4"

Batman
05-22-2010, 01:59 PM
still perfect at home.

Good result given no DeRo or JDG.

devioustrevor
05-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Jesus Christ, O'Brian White was god awful today. He held the ball up nicely on two occasions and made that one great pass to Barrett otherwise he was almost useless out there.

Gabe Gala also needs to learn when to make the early pass. That last offside on Barrett was all Gala's fault. Barrett was staying onside but Gala held the ball up too long.

Oldtimer
05-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Lots of strong effort by the boys. Even though Chad missed 2 goals, he got the game winner and I am very pleased with his effort.

ginkster88
05-22-2010, 02:03 PM
The team is still learning, but at least they know how to hold it down and grind out the win. Nice to see us looking somewhat dangerous with just Barrett and OBW up front.

James17930
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
That was by far the worst game in our current unbeaten streak -- at least, in the first half -- couldn't connect with any short passes, and most of the attempts were long ones that were way off the mark.

When OBW came in in the 2nd half we improved vastly -- he did a great job of holding up the ball and laying off for Barrett, who, yes, should have scored at least two more.

Obviously glad we won, but I thought the L.A. and Vancouver games were better overall performances.

I think they deserve at least two days off now. Back to training on Tuesday.

T.O TILL I DIE
we love you toronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aha even though we shouldve had atleast 8 goals , we still got our 3 points
and we didnt have 3 key players and our whole squad was tired, i say we played pretty damn good THIS IS OUR YEAR!

drek
I about had a heart attack in the last 10 minutes.

Hard earned 3 points without the De's & nana

MUFC_Niagara
05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
A sign of a team coming together is being able grind out a result when the performance is sub par.

Shakes McQueen
05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Barrett was exactly what we needed him to be - he was on fire. Missed a couple of good chances, but still scored the winner for us, so I'm hard pressed to get on him about the missed ones.

Best player on the pitch today, and continuing his journey to being a fan favourite in Toronto.

As for the game overall - it was pretty rough at times, but we managed to grind out 3 points missing arguably our three best players.

- Scott

Guajiro
05-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Jesus Christ, O'Brian White was god awful today.

As my friend John would say... first touch of a rapist.

Dub Narcotic
Saric good, Garcia good, for sure Toronto gives up the late goal last year. Certainly a little bit lucky that NER wasn't better in the final third, however. Sanyang played well too.

Hooligan69
Glad to see our boys pick up the victory today. I was ridiculously tired and not feeling well this morning, so I caught the game at home on television rather than at BMO.

James17930
05-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Saric good, Garcia good, for sure Toronto gives up the late goal last year. Certainly a little bit lucky that NER wasn't better in the final third, however. Sanyang played well too.

That's the only thing that saved us, I think. Yes, we missed a few chances, but look how many horrible shots they had, and how many chances they squandered in the opening minutes.

SteeltownBhoy
05-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Jesus, Sanyang goes down more then a $ 20 whore on payday!!!!

devioustrevor
05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Perhaps it's only me, but today seemed like Sanyang's best game in Red thus far. Stole a few scoring chances from the Revs by giving up the body.

Batman
05-22-2010, 02:16 PM
BTW, UEFA Champions league final thread now open in International Section

devioustrevor
05-22-2010, 02:17 PM
BTW, UEFA Champions league final thread now open in International Section

Holy shite. That game is actually on Network TV stateside.

jloome
05-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Perhaps it's only me, but today seemed like Sanyang's best game in Red thus far. Stole a few scoring chances from the Revs by giving up the body.

Sanyang was exceptional today. Great marking, tackling, holding up the ball, laying off nicely. Good to see another disciplined performance from Saric. Hscanovic had a couple of howlers. But in all, a solid team effort with good defending -- lots of marking and patience instead of just jumping in.

J .
05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Preki is looking like he was MoJos best move.

I dont know about everyone and its early for "told ya so's " but he really has done wonders for the confidence of Barrett and 400 minutes without conceeding clearly shows how he has improved the willingness to battle in the final third.

Important win vs Eastern conference rival, we are now two points out of second in the East.

ArmenJBX
05-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Wow, what a year!

Chad Barrett is quickly becoming my favorite player.

ManUtd4ever
05-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I am thrilled with today's result. Considering our depleted roster I was impressed with the manner in which TFC controlled the play and created several offensive opportunities in a match that could have easily been a blowout. Garcia had his best game in a TFC uniform. I was expecting a more difficult game without DeRo, JDG, and Attakora but the boys showed up today and picked up the slack. Great effort overall...

ag futbol
05-22-2010, 03:03 PM
We won? With that lineup?

Put Preki on the wall of honor. Johnston's picture can be hung under the urinal on the far left at the south end of the stadium.

Batman
05-22-2010, 03:12 PM
We won? With that lineup?

Put Preki on the wall of honor. Johnston's picture can be hung under the urinal on the far left at the south end of the stadium.

ouch... despite all the venom we spout about Mo, I unfortunately feel his career may have been saved / resurrected over the last few weeks. :(

But I agree, Preki, despite being a pretty odd guy, has done well with the team that's been made available to him by useless Mo.

Canada72
05-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I was in 224 today and couldn't see but what did the Steal Your Face banner at the bottom of Section 112 say and does anyone know who brought it?

Steal Your Face is my Avatar for those who don't know.

Super Cereal
05-22-2010, 03:24 PM
We won?

Holy shit.

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Hard-fought ugly win...it's the kind of result we needed with so many starters not available.

These 3 points are huge. Well done to all the boys, and congrats to Preki. Today was a good day for TFC.

joesoccerfan
05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I'd have to disagree that OBW didn't play well. I thought he held the ball and distributed it well. He also gave the CBs trouble with his speed and strength. We looked much better in attacking just after the half primarily because of his presence.

jazzy
05-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Jesus Christ, O'Brian White was god awful today. He held the ball up nicely on two occasions and made that one great pass to Barrett otherwise he was almost useless out there.

Gabe Gala also needs to learn when to make the early pass. That last offside on Barrett was all Gala's fault. Barrett was staying onside but Gala held the ball up too long.

OBW bad passing, and at the end, very lazy and chased a ball letting it go out of bounds with a bad touch.....not brilliant decisions......hopefully his excuse is his bad ankle?....He has speed and talent but his 90 minute concentration is letting him down.

LesH
05-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow, what a year!

Chad Barrett is quickly becoming my favorite player.

+1

Damn, if we would have 10 others on the field with Chad's determination, we'd be world beaters!

Have you seen how happy was the guy at the end, when he fell to the ground, thanking the skies?

rocker
05-22-2010, 04:39 PM
I didn't think this was the worst of the recent games or the best. But they were relatively disciplined, played as a unit, and got the job done. as the last game of a busy stretch, it's great to get the 3 points. They are much more of a workmanlike team this year than last.

It's just showing that Preki's "no man is better than another" system is probably a useful strategy in MLS.
We didn't have our star, De Ro, or De Guz, or the young stud defender, Nana, and the team still won. That just wouldn't have happened last year.

Thought Cann was good again.

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I'd have to disagree that OBW didn't play well. I thought he held the ball and distributed it well. He also gave the CBs trouble with his speed and strength. We looked much better in attacking just after the half primarily because of his presence.

I can't agree. He holds up the ball well but his decision-making is lacking.

But at the moment, he is definitely a better option than Ibby.

Lucky Strike
05-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Player ratings are up!

http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=22736

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 04:41 PM
BTW...Shalrie Joseph is a beast. I'd live to have him play for TFC.

rocker
05-22-2010, 04:42 PM
before the game I didn't know Shalrie was back from his rehab. Was this his first game back? I thought he was out indefinitely.

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Yes...first game back. He was a last-minute addition to the lineup.

Dub Narcotic
05-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Peterson had his best game on the team.

LesH
05-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I didn't think this was the worst of the recent games or the best.

I would say except the LA game, was the best game of the stretch, considering how depleted and tired the team was, AND the hopes of NE coming in the game!
They clearly hoped for 3 points today.

rocker
05-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Quotes from Preki's press conference:

"It was not the most prettiest game you see in your life."
"I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty."

dupont
05-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Just a great win considering we were missing very key players. I am very happy with that performance.

ArmenJBX
05-22-2010, 05:21 PM
The good thing about this game was that everyone knew that Dwayne De Rosario wouldn't be helping them from up front and Julian de Guzman wouldn't be bossing the midfield, and yet the boys went out and gave it 110%. We didn't have this mentality of compensation for losing those two, we looked like a confidant team who were out to win.

Chad Barrett knew from the first minute he needed to score a goal to win for TFC, and he did just that. This was the first time this season I've felt like our team is on the right track, and that we can still win games without De Ro.

Nana's absence also solidified this, because it shows the defense is gelling together well. Chad said it himself in his post-game interview that he's never seen a team gel together so fast. This is just great to hear! Keep it up TFC! :D

flatpicker
05-22-2010, 05:37 PM
It wasn't a pretty win for sure.
But one thing I see in this years squad, that I really didn't see in past years, is a real sense of togetherness and trust.
Even with the depleted lineup, the guys held on and worked well together.
I'm starting to believe in Preki's vision more and more.
If we can get another strong striker this summer, I think this team will have a lot of potential heading into the playoffs.

rocker
05-22-2010, 05:39 PM
previous year's teams were more about individuals.. some highly talented individuals. when the individuals had good days, it worked... but it didn't seem to come from any system of play. this year's team has a system and the right players for it. nobody seems that much better than the next guy, and they are somewhat interchangeable.

Shakes McQueen
05-22-2010, 05:47 PM
previous year's teams were more about individuals.. some highly talented individuals. when the individuals had good days, it worked... but it didn't seem to come from any system of play. this year's team has a system and the right players for it. nobody seems that much better than the next guy, and they are somewhat interchangeable.

I think the narrative for this season can be summed up in the relationship between DeRo and Barrett, and how their partnership on the field has changed compared to last season.

- Scott

Inswingingwingman
05-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Peterson earned another start.

Chad played his heart out, and won the game.

The guys at the back did a decent job of controlling the ball, and Frei was his usual monster self.

At the tail end of that hard run of games, we should hold hands and sing Kum By ya or however yo'all spell it. Lets get another couple of points on the road and rip a hole in the schedule.

Oldtimer
05-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Very insightful. Yes, a Preki team can have a lot of interchangeable no-name players, because it's the system that is important. I must say that I am starting to have quite a bit of confidence in his system, too.

Of course, unlike Preki's old club Chivas, we also have two very talented players who do add flair and it's great when they are there. But a Preki team can grind them out when the flair players aren't there. So different from how TFC was in the past. I miss the missing talented players like Guevara, but I'd rather have a winning team.

jabbronies
05-22-2010, 07:13 PM
I mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll say it again:

Sangyang was all over Joseph. Really made him ineffective for most of the game.

Also, ss long as Barrett is scoring, I'm happy.

Darlofletch
05-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Whoooooooooooooo!

It's only 8 andf I'm very drunk. yay blackpool and yay tfc.

in preki i 100% trust

that's all i've got for now. whoooooooooooo!

Darlofletch
05-22-2010, 07:16 PM

He was, it's true, sanyang was awesome today.

Kaz
05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Anyone notice that puts us into 8th place in the league, no matter the out come of the rest of the games, and into play contention of it were decided today?

This is a good sign.

But if Mo wants to keep his job he can have it if He can swim from Buffalo to Toronto without getting out of the water. But failing that, he's still gotta go

jabbronies
05-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Check out the MLS match highlights..on the first corner kick against us, Cann headlocks a guy and tosses him to the side...pretty funny stuff. I'm lovin' this guy more and more everyday! He keep improving with every game.

Also, he doesn't sound a frightened during his interviews.

Pookie
05-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Aside from the game, 2 non game moments stick out for me.

- The ovation for Zack Herold and his place atop the Capo stands. Must have been quite a moment for him

- Post game, the players as a group holding hands and saluting the fans in the corner. Quite a difference from recent past when you'd be lucky if a couple of guys clapped in your general direction

devioustrevor
05-22-2010, 08:35 PM
- The ovation for Zack Herold and his place atop the Capo stands. Must have been quite a moment for him

Watching the game on TV I seen him standing there. It looked like he was having the time of his life. Unless someone kills a kitten with a hammer in front of him I don't think there is anyway anyone is getting that smile off his face tonight.

Whoop
05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
The players have been saluting the fans like that since the Montreal match... or possibly Seattle.

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 08:41 PM

It was quite obvious that Preki sent Sanyang out there with simple instructions.

"Where Joseph goes, you go, I don't want him to see daylight."

Sanyang was a pest all game. He does it well.

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Anyone have comments on Cronin's beautiful corner kick to Barrett that scored the goal?

He's been sending in some beauties for a while now. I wish he'd get more starts. We don't have a real threat from the corner, I'd love for Sam to continue working on this and help us become more dangerous on set pieces.

smeghead
05-22-2010, 08:43 PM
for anyone wondering Mini TFC beat the brampton lions as well 3-0 . Great day all around.

devioustrevor
05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
The players have been saluting the fans like that since the Montreal match... or possibly Seattle.

They definitely did it in Montreal. After the game when we pushed towards the field one of the TFC supporters dropped their scarf on the field (I think it was one of those black U-Sector ones) and Nick LaBrocca ran over and picked it up for the guy and then ran along high-fiving everyone along the rails.

TFC247
05-22-2010, 08:46 PM
..on the first corner kick against us, Cann headlocks a guy and tosses him to the side...So easy a caveman could do it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Whoop
05-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I know did it in Montreal... I was talking about at home.

It was either the Seattle or Montreal match when they first did it.

Roogsy
05-22-2010, 09:06 PM
The best part of the game?

The final minute, when we're up and you hear the whistles around the pitch demanding the ref end the match.

I've dreamed of games like that and today we had one. I just wish I could whistle. :D

TFC247
05-22-2010, 09:19 PM
I miss the missing talented players like Guevara, but I'd rather have a winning team.
No doubt, but is this a "one or the other" thing? Or could we have this system AND talented players too, besides Dero and JDG?

How many weeks now that we've been saying "depleted" roster? Seems like since the beginning of the training camp right? It's like "depleted" and "fatigue" go hand to hand with our every weekly results, we might as well make it our team slogan. Wow, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at Mo.

James17930
05-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Great that the Academy won too! :D

I think the mentality in MLS is really changing, and Preki is in the vanguard.

Even up to 5 years ago, almost every team in the league made the playoffs. This made much of the regular season somewhat pointless -- unless you were absolutely horrible (a la DC this year) you were in. So maybe there was no pressure for absolute quality and professionalism.

Now, and going forward, this has all changed, of course. Now every point really does matter. Now you really do have to fight and scrape for your life for the full 90 minutes. And this is what Preki brings -- that proper motivation and attitude.

And when everyone -- literally every single player on the squad -- buys into it and wants to play for the badge and guys can step up, well, look out.

Today wasn't a great performance, but it got the job done, and going forward I'd say we're going to be one of the hardest clubs to play against in this league.

Yohan
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
dear football gods,

please keep chad barrett and adrian cann free of injuries

manic.street.preacher
05-23-2010, 04:20 AM
a chippy affair but a great total team effort. Cann was a rock, Barrett worked his ass off, Sanyang is really starting to grow on me, Alphabet (minus one glaring error early on) played 100x better than the last time he faced the Revs ... can't wait til Peterson is able to play the full 90, his crosses were great today and i can't wait to see what he and Dero can do together

also:
http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/photos_gallery_view/image_nodes/2010/05/tfcvne5_0.jpg

:flare::drum::scarf::drum::flare:

Keystone FC
05-23-2010, 04:49 AM
http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/photos_gallery_view/image_nodes/2010/05/tfcvne5_0.jpg

FINISH HIM!

Seriously, like Preki said, 'It may not have been the prettiest match of soccer to watch but I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.'
We are coming together and it is starting to show. This was basically the same team that beat us 4-1 at the beginning of the season.
TFC still has some work to do talent wise but a team with little talent that is truely a team can beat a bunch of stars that play of themselves.

Petor
05-23-2010, 05:30 AM
BTW...Shalrie Joseph is a beast. I'd live to have him play for TFC.

Ya but he was not much of a factor yesterday because of Sanyang, he had him covered. :scarf:

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/22/tfc2.jpg&size=640x447&quality=90

DichioTFC
05-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Good effort by the boys all around. OBW disappeared a bit, but lets not get this mistake, it was a team effort by the Reds against a team that spanked them only a month ago.

Special things I noticed were Garcia's defence and Cronin on set pieces (set up Barrett's header). Glad to see Cronin adding to his value and developing as a player. My biggest fear with Preki coming in and not playing Cronin early was that Cronin would not be able to grow / develop. But now, as a set pieces guy, Cronin is earning his place.

supersaint
05-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Glad to see us get another win, ugly, but deserved. I must admit that Preki does seem to be getting the most out of the players, and as I have said before, in regards to all the Mo haters, he has brought in DeRo, Julian, made a very good trade under pressure for Chad, drafted well...Edu, Frei, OBrien, Cronin. Picked up some good young talent ie Nana, Sanyang, Ibrahim and Gala. Yes, there have been mistakes...but it does seem that in this our fourth season, the pces of the puzzle are starting to fall into shape. Who agrees or disagrees on Mo. And by the way, I have been very hard on him in the past also, but I also believe in giving credit where it is due. Bottom line is, we all want this team to do well and be successful. Cheers.

Yagbod
05-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Just a suggestion:

The really slow building 'Oh when the reds...' at the beginning of the game is being lost in the rest of the stands. It is just a bit to slow and there is always someone in a local section who picks up the beat and then accelerates it out of time with the south end.

I love the slow 'march', but I'm not sure it is working right now at BMO.

I am not sure that it is a RPB that is starting it, but perhaps whoever is will see this.

Just a thought.

Oldtimer
05-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Even up to 5 years ago, almost every team in the league made the playoffs. This made much of the regular season somewhat pointless -- unless you were absolutely horrible (a la DC this year) you were in. So maybe there was no pressure for absolute quality and professionalism.

So true, BS had many discussions on how "pointless" the regular season was -- any team could make the playoffs with a decent push at the end, so most mid-season games had less than 100% effort being made. With expansion, this is no longer true, and every point counts. That's why Mo waiting until several games into the season to settle the squad is so frustrating.