PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,May 20

denime
05-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Mornin'

TFC takes it easy (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/20/14015766.html)

Fatigue A Factor In Vancouver (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/fatigue-factor-vancouver)

Voyageurs Cup still up for grabs + Video (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/05/20/toronto_fc_whitecaps_draw/)

Whitecaps prevent TFC from clinching title (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/05/20/sp-whitecaps-tfc.html)

Whitecaps stay alive with draw (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/whitecaps-stay-alive-with-draw/article1575184/)

NCC Plot Thickens With Scoreless Draw (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/ncc-plot-thickens-scoreless-draw)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Auzzy
05-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks denime. The first two links are borked -- tacked together into one.

Cheers!

EDIT Oh, same with the last two links, also tacked together.

pekduck
05-20-2010, 06:39 AM
morning D...

scooter
05-20-2010, 07:05 AM
mornin d

Technorgasm
05-20-2010, 08:03 AM
I am exhausted today. . . . partly from staying up late to watch the match. . but mostly due to listening to Forrest and Dobson droning on. . and on. . and on. . I swear they need to find a way to reflect how exciting WE HERE see this game. . not the constant conversation. . . with a game thrown in style they call it. .

Im calling for heads!

BuSaPuNk
05-20-2010, 08:38 AM
I am exhausted today. . . . partly from staying up late to watch the match. . but mostly due to listening to Forrest and Dobson droning on. . and on. . and on. . I swear they need to find a way to reflect how exciting WE HERE see this game. . not the constant conversation. . . with a game thrown in style they call it. .

Im calling for heads!

I hear ya!

Dobson and Forrest are the worst play by play and colour guys i've ever heard. Atleast there isn't many games on Sportsnet at all. Love Nigel and Luke there probably the best two in the leauge.

Wagner
05-20-2010, 08:40 AM

Im calling for heads!

I don't mind dobson...forrest is HORRIBLE.
i thought he'd get better over the years...

rocker
05-20-2010, 08:54 AM
last night near the end of the game, Dobson was talking about the points implications of various possible results when Vancouver was about to take a free kick. I dunno if he was trying to ramp up the tension, but he needed to focus on the action on the field at that moment, not what could happen to the standings if Vancouver got a goal at that point. UGH! He always does this -- in previous road games he would say stuff like "If this result holds, TFC will move above X team." Then TFC would blow it and his formulations would be irrelevant.

Also for the first 2 minutes of the match he was chatting about each player in the lineup while the action was going on. Call the game!!

rocker
05-20-2010, 09:01 AM
funny news from Philly.... Pires apparently turned down signing with Philly cuz he felt the city was ugly. hahahaha.

Reflecting on his ambitions for the future and the offer laid out on the table by the Philadelphia Union, Pires stated:
“It does not please me. I do not want to be difficult, but left to take my family away, I'd rather do it in a beautiful city. Otherwise, I will put an end to my career.
Responding to suggestions that a deal could be done which would see him link forces with Henry again, Pires responded more positively: "I wish him to go there. That is a beautiful city."

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/38524/Hey_Bobby_-_Pires_hints_at_Henry_reunion.aspx

icecoldbeer
05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
^ hahaha awesome. all i can think about is the fresh prince of bel air lyrics.

Oldtimer
05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Related to football in general. FAN590's Jeff Blair interviewed Declan Hill about match-fixing in soccer, corruption in FIFA, etc.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20100519_183151_11856

Whoop
05-20-2010, 09:30 AM
It was Jeff Blair, not Bob McCown.

Oldtimer
05-20-2010, 09:37 AM
It was Jeff Blair, not Bob McCown.

Fixed. It was on Bobbo's show.

P-NUTZ
05-20-2010, 09:41 AM
i'm reading Declan's book "The Fix" right now, facinating stuff. Some stuff you could figure, but overall a great footy read.

Makes you look at some of the calls by mls refs over the years and go hmmmmmm...but then again mls refs are generally inconsistant.

P.

Carts
05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I know a lot of you guys hate Dobson and Forrest - but lets be honest...

That game last night had less quality and excitment than most A-level Beer Leagues...!!!

I'm not one of those "slag the MLS quality" guys who rag on it - but last night (I know not two MLS teams) was just horrible...

It was funny b/c every few minutes TFC would put together a sequence of quality (most notably the several one-touch passes that led to DeRo's shot [which he unfortunateky skied into the night]), but otherwise there wasn't much to enjoy in this one...

I felt sorry for people who made an effort to watch that at a pub - let alone those who flew across the country to see it live...

Thank god I had Coors Light & bed to ease my sorrows watching that match...

Carts...

billyfly
05-20-2010, 09:53 AM
funny news from Philly.... Pires apparently turned down signing with Philly cuz he felt the city was ugly. hahahaha.

Reflecting on his ambitions for the future and the offer laid out on the table by the Philadelphia Union, Pires stated:
“It does not please me. I do not want to be difficult, but left to take my family away, I'd rather do it in a beautiful city. Otherwise, I will put an end to my career.
Responding to suggestions that a deal could be done which would see him link forces with Henry again, Pires responded more positively: "I wish him to go there. That is a beautiful city."

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/38524/Hey_Bobby_-_Pires_hints_at_Henry_reunion.aspx

I wonder what he'd say about Toronto....

Whoop
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Honestly, I think he'd say the same.

reggie
05-20-2010, 09:56 AM
who is this clown writing for the toronto sun?
"maybe tfc didnt want to blowout van lastnight because they want to sell more tickets for the final game"

Dbl_D
05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I hear ya!

Dobson and Forrest are the worst play by play and colour guys i've ever heard. Atleast there isn't many games on Sportsnet at all. Love Nigel and Luke there probably the best two in the leauge.

It doesn't matter to me because I will never watch Sportsnet, dobson and forrest again (and am trying to cancel just those channels from my cable service)...

Pathetic, lame excuse for a sports channel, you could have had an amazing goal (maybe an experience like TFC goal 1) but couldn't have seen it live because they couldn't switch the feed to live after that lobsided hockey game... absolute shocker... I would imagine if that hockey game went into over time they would have continued showing that (and as a sports channel I'd accept that...) but nooooooooo hockey game finished TFC match 6minutes old... then oh, lets show the highlights of every other sport out there which I will see ad nauseum when no live sports are on... I don't watch baseball anymore because of their idiotic strike, like wise NHL hockey... (was looking forward to watching a little memorial cup but turned it on to see 5-1 so with 19mins on the clock I thought great we'll get to see the TFC game live...

Sports are meant to be WATCH LIVE... unless you can't watch them and then you hope for someone to pvr it or maybe catch a game in a replay...

bye Sportsnet forever...

sorry I hope others take my lead and vote with your dollars... whatever revenue they were expecting from ads and eyes watching, they definitely only got the hard core the rest were in bed or didn't care...

DichioTFC
05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I wonder what he'd say about Toronto....

Honestly, I think he'd say the same.

No way at all. Trust me, Philly has some seriously crappy areas. Jane & Finch and Regent Park are nice compared to the urban centers.

Toronto is class all the way. People internationally think we Canadians dont have locks on our doors (because the city's so safe) and the streets are completely clean... Toronto has an excellent reputation.

DichioTFC
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't mind dobson...forrest is HORRIBLE.
i thought he'd get better over the years...

Sucks as an announcer, sucked as a keeper. Check the video link.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4fr3c_manchester-united-v-ipswich-8-0-inc_sport

also available here
LSSva2D5p64

Oldtimer
05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Sucks as an announcer, sucked as a keeper. Check the video link.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4fr3c_manchester-united-v-ipswich-8-0-inc_sport

also available here
LSSva2D5p64

Most of those were the defenders being horrible. So many unmarked players!

I don't like his "colour commentary" that much, but give him a break.

P-NUTZ
05-20-2010, 10:52 AM
i cringe and cover my ears when dobson shrieks out "DEEEEEEEEROOOOOSAARRIOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" whenever he takes a shot.

jloome
05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
I remember that game. He was left stranded just time and again. It was sad. There was one long one that maybe he could've got (although that might've been the 6-0 loss when he was with West Ham) but not much else.

I remember how unfair it was when he lost his job to Hislop, despite a defence that left both keepers stranded repeatedly. Not a great time for Forrest, I imagine.

bgnewf
05-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Why the Vancouver Whitecaps need to once and for all shut up about how the Voyageurs Cup was decided last season.

Comments as always are always welcome

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/whitecaps-fans-need-to-move-on-from-the-%e2%80%9cmontreal-miracle%e2%80%9d/ (http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/whitecaps-fans-need-to-move-on-from-the-%e2%80%9cmontreal-miracle%e2%80%9d/)
-----------------------------------------------------------

By all accounts the Vancouver Whitecaps organization and their fans are still angry over the “Montréal Miracle”. And many of them will probably forever feel cheated out of the 2009 Voyageurs Cup that they felt was handed to Toronto by the Montréal Impact. This led of course to what I call the “2010 gentleman’s agreement” between the three clubs in the tournament to play as close as they can to their top club if and when their respective club was eliminated. The intention of course to try and temper any controversy in 2010 like there was in 2009.

I guess we will see what kind of “gentleman” Mark Dos Santos is in six days time when his club plays what is for them once again a meaningless game. Now unlike the Vancouver fans in 2009, I do not think that TFC supporters are going to be that pissed off if the 2009 edition of the Trois-Rivières Attak showed up in Impact uniforms on the 26th to play against Vancouver. Until Edmonton comes into the mix next season and the tournament gets re-jigged somehow, there was always going to be the likelihood that one club of the three in this years tournament would find itself having to play meaningless games.

You see Vancouver fans, we get it. You still may be pissed about last year but TFC still had to score four goals on the road, and by the way, they scored six unanswered. Montréal did not rest everyone from their top XI in that game either if you remember. The bottom line is TFC took care of their business when they needed to and Vancouver did not.

This year Toronto eliminated Montréal by going to their house and winning once again. The Whitecaps draw to Montréal at home and draw TFC at home as well. It is Vancouver that has not taken care of their business both in 2009 and 2010 that led to them having to either hope Montreal rolls over and plays dead in one year and does not in another.

Win your home games Vancouver and you have nothing to worry about. Drawing twice at home now means that the Whitecaps need to win out in their last two road games. I for one hope Montréal do run out the reserves next week and I hope Vancouver beats them. That way the tournament will be won fair and square at BMO Field in two weeks time.

And when Montréal does run out the scrubs I hope that once and for all Vancouver can stop yapping about the “Montréal Miracle”. You can’t be against it one year when it hurts you and be for it the next when it doesn’t unless you are a total hypocrite. And to the Vancouver “Southsiders” Supporters Group… If you have the two pictures below still on your website after next week when your club plays the Montréal ‘B’ Team then you are the biggest hypocrites of all.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/disgrace-1.jpg

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/disgrace-2.jpg

Take care of your business Vancouver. If not, then shut the hell up and move on.

Stouffville_RPB
05-20-2010, 03:03 PM
It doesn't matter to me because I will never watch Sportsnet, dobson and forrest again (and am trying to cancel just those channels from my cable service)...

Pathetic, lame excuse for a sports channel, you could have had an amazing goal (maybe an experience like TFC goal 1) but couldn't have seen it live because they couldn't switch the feed to live after that lobsided hockey game... absolute shocker... I would imagine if that hockey game went into over time they would have continued showing that (and as a sports channel I'd accept that...) but nooooooooo hockey game finished TFC match 6minutes old... then oh, lets show the highlights of every other sport out there which I will see ad nauseum when no live sports are on... I don't watch baseball anymore because of their idiotic strike, like wise NHL hockey... (was looking forward to watching a little memorial cup but turned it on to see 5-1 so with 19mins on the clock I thought great we'll get to see the TFC game live...

Sports are meant to be WATCH LIVE... unless you can't watch them and then you hope for someone to pvr it or maybe catch a game in a replay...

bye Sportsnet forever...

sorry I hope others take my lead and vote with your dollars... whatever revenue they were expecting from ads and eyes watching, they definitely only got the hard core the rest were in bed or didn't care...

You can't really get on sportsnet for not switching to the live feed. Imagine if you tuned in at 11 and saw the game was in the 30th minute, you would be more pissed than you are about a half hour delay. They were also streaming the game live on their site.

Sportsnet isn't always the best but how long ago was it that there wasn't even regular footy shown on tv. Brodcasting the sport has come a long way recently and but it isn't coming all at once. Enjoy what we get now because it wasn't long ago that we had nothing.

Auzzy
05-20-2010, 03:20 PM
You can't really get on sportsnet for not switching to the live feed. Imagine if you tuned in at 11 and saw the game was in the 30th minute, you would be more pissed than you are about a half hour delay. They were also streaming the game live on their site.

Sportsnet isn't always the best but how long ago was it that there wasn't even regular footy shown on tv. Brodcasting the sport has come a long way recently and but it isn't coming all at once. Enjoy what we get now because it wasn't long ago that we had nothing.

But Sportsnet wasn't streaming the game live either!! They (and/or CSA) first told TFC that the game would be streamed live online, and on TV with the delay. But at 3pm on Wednesday TFC found out that the online stream was, in fact also delayed by 30 minutes. Otherwise it might have been an OK compromise: live online for the hardcore fans (after all, they can also earn money off the online commercials) and delay for TV. Instead they left TFC to scramble last-minute and try to put a live audio stream on the TFC TV website, which didn't work out. (Jim Brennan was going to do the audio!!)

Sportsnet screwed up so many things, it's not funny. Even with the delay, they showed a soccer game between a BC and an ON team, only on their West & East channels, and not on the home channels of the teams (Ontario & Pacific). Plus why don't they take advantage of their four channels? The Memorial Cup was between a Manitoba & an Alberta team. Why couldn't they put the NCC match on at least one of the four channels, live at 10:30?

What they have done throught the tournament is guaranteed to turn off both hard-core & casual footy fans, rather than growing the game. From a bizarre selection of channels for the games, to time-delays, to crappy camera work & commentators, etc.

Darlofletch
05-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Bgnewf. Much like your facepalming at the criticism of Mo after the Zac herold article, you're making a lot of presumptions about what Montreal will do, and how vancouver and TFC fans will react. Maybe you should wait until something happens before you call people out over it.

bgnewf
05-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Bgnewf. Much like your facepalming at the criticism of Mo after the Zac herold article, you're making a lot of presumptions about what Montreal will do, and how vancouver and TFC fans will react. Maybe you should wait until something happens before you call people out over it.

Appreciate the perspective and thanks for it.

Dbl_D
05-20-2010, 04:09 PM

(Stouffville appreciate the rebuttal, I just can't believe I'm so riled up about this one... I just hope someone at Sportsnet reads this :facepalm:)

Someone would always complain ... but as Auzzy (thx for the support) said no online stream after a promise that was the kicker... It really has nothing to with how much footy is shown now a days, sports should always be live no matter what... "Its about the game"... who cares about after game interviews score updates those will run until the next live event, they have 4 channels at least one could have switched and delay the others... water under bridge time to let it go... I just hope there are no important TFC match on Sportsnet and I'm eating crow... hahaha

Jimmy B and Luke and Asif, great job even though no audio.. ;)