PDA

View Full Version : Fan 590 vs. Soccernet commentating

Technorgasm
05-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Im sorry but Whiel on route to meet up with the lads trying to catch the second half of the TFC v LA game I had thre absolute pleasure of listening to the play-by-play on the Fan590. .

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
the cadence and excitement in (I think it was Dan Dunleavy and Bob Iarusci) voice made it SO much better!!

by the time I got to the pub to hear flat ass Forrest and smoke another Doobson it was thoroughly disappointing. .

I am sure I am not the only one here with this complaint.

If you really want to increase ratings on footy broadcasts these guys have to be able to bring EXCITEMENT to the show.. Forrest and dobson`s style is too lax, and just not engaging. . . . .

If there was no 30 minute delay I would have the fan on for sure. ..

SQUIRREL
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm actually glad you made this thread because I totally agree with you. I wasn't able to make the Chicago game two saturday's ago and let me tell you, they were exciting from beginning to end. He even did a "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lllllllll." when Toronto scored. I actually really enjoyed it, hopefully I won't miss anymore games but if I do I know who I'm listening for.....I might mute the tv and play Fan 590.

greatwhitenorf
05-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Thank you, Mrs. Dunleavy.

greatwhitenorf
05-19-2010, 11:06 PM
On the other hand, what really puzzles me about Sportsnet is that they acquire a sports property and don't throw the slightest support behind it during breaks in play.

Earlier on, they had a Memorial Cup hockey game on. Period ends, off they go to give us updates on OTHER sports events elsewhere. Same thing now at halftime in this game.

I can't picture this happening in most major pro sports. Period or half ends, they go straight into analysis of what happened or what needs to happen, or a player feature.

This whole cut-to-highlights thing is just so lazy.

DichioTFC
05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
i agree with what people ar esaying about how bad Sportsnet is. Listening to the Montreal game on FAN590 and watching this game on CSA /Sportsnet is a world of difference. If I can't make it to the game, I'm listening to FAN 590.

Whoop
05-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Radio commentary > TV commentary

rocker
05-20-2010, 12:11 AM
replays were shit tonight on Sportsnet. I counted at least 4 times that a live play (and change of possession) was not shown because they were in a replay. And some of those replays were just stupid ones... guy gets knocked down -- "let's see a replay while we miss the live play!!" :picard:

DichioTFC
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
replays were shit tonight on Sportsnet. I counted at least 4 times that a live play (and change of possession) was not shown because they were in a replay. And some of those replays were just stupid ones... guy gets knocked down -- "let's see a replay while we miss the live play!!" :picard:

I swear, its like watching a game on Rogers Cable. Remember the camera work from the last game?

I'll be happy when the NCC finishes so I don't have to watch this crappy channel again.

rocker
05-20-2010, 12:18 AM
How about Dobson today..... called Jay Nolly -- JOLLY! hahaha

DichioTFC
05-20-2010, 12:26 AM
How about Dobson today..... called Jay Nolly -- JOLLY! hahaha

Almost as bad as calling Nolly ... CONWAY!

:picard:

James17930
05-20-2010, 12:45 AM
But remember that Gerry and Craig have to call the game evenly and objectively (though you can still tell they're pretty TFC-centric).

590 are homers, so they can be as passionate as they want.

Don't blame Sportsnet for that.

Yohan
05-20-2010, 04:47 AM
Nigel Reed > all

T.Reis
05-20-2010, 04:56 AM
But remember that Gerry and Craig have to call the game evenly and objectively (though you can still tell they're pretty TFC-centric).

590 are homers, so they can be as passionate as they want.

Don't blame Sportsnet for that.

Not to mention, when u hear Dunleavy and he revs up the excitement it seems to fit cuz it's on the radio, when it's on TV and TFC is playing somewhere that's got more empty seats then fans and the atmosphere is dead, Dobson would look kind of like he was a douche (or atleast like he was trying to hard) when he tried to turn up the volume. No matter how hard he would try u just couldn't get into it.

I like Dan, Gerry, Craig & espically Nigel. But Bobby Iarusci...Yikes! Atleast on gameday he's not too bad, but when it's time for an opinion, good lord dad, this ain't the 1970 NASL anymore!

FluSH
05-20-2010, 05:14 AM
Im sorry but Whiel on route to meet up with the lads trying to catch the second half of the TFC v LA game I had thre absolute pleasure of listening to the play-by-play on the Fan590. .

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
the cadence and excitement in (I think it was Dan Dunleavy and Bob Iarusci) voice made it SO much better!!

by the time I got to the pub to hear flat ass Forrest and smoke another Doobson it was thoroughly disappointing. .

If you really want to increase ratings on footy broadcasts these guys have to be able to bring EXCITEMENT to the show.. Forrest and dobson`s style is too lax, and just not engaging. . . . .

AMEN

I can't for the life of my think who thought it would be a great idea to have Forrest and Dobson together... You've hit the nail dead on... I would much rather listen to the Fan 590 any day than Forrest & Dobson. In fact, I can't think of anyone that I would place ahead of those two...

Pachuco
05-20-2010, 09:05 AM
I'll never understand how Sportsnet thinks Dobson is a good play by play commentator. He is freeking attrocious. Horrendous. There is nobody worse. These two doorknobs of Dobson and Forrest sound dead while calling a game.

Parkdale
05-20-2010, 09:11 AM
I listened to the LA game last Saturday on the radio, and as much as I really think you need to see the match to watch formations develop, I was pretty impressed with the quality of the commentary. I think I'm going to be turning my portable radio on while watching away games.

rocker
05-20-2010, 09:30 AM
For years Blue Jay fans would turn off the TV sound on broadcasts and listen to Tom and Jerry on the radio for commentary.

TOBOR !
05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Forrest isn't so bad, he has some decent insight but Gerry's the boss and Craig has to defer. I think it was during the LA game that CF talked over GD to point out a good play by Nana and ended off by apologising to Dobson. He shouldn't need to do that.

It was also enjoyable when Dobson attempted to choose Frei as the man of the match for that game as well.

What a tool.

Technorgasm
05-20-2010, 11:58 AM
There is just no peaks and valleys in his voice. . . its as if they are sitting there
having a fuckin conversation
and there is a Freakin GAME that interupts them once in a while!

I mean, take a Barret thundershot. . off the keeper for a rebound off the bar. . i
its as if they slighttly spilled their tea onto teh awaiting doiley. . . .

I DONT CARE where they went to college. . I DONT CARE what they did last night to the wife. .
I CARE abotu who passes to who and when we get near the area for a chance!!!

Next game - Headphones.. Radio. . . happy.

DavydMT
05-20-2010, 12:14 PM
guys on FAN 590 are just getting better and better, very good play by play, great sound from the pitch and supporters and they know football

Parkdale
05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
For years Blue Jay fans would turn off the TV sound on broadcasts and listen to Tom and Jerry on the radio for commentary.

baseball is probably the best possible sport to listen to on the radio.
You get all the important info, stats, commentary and backstory from the radio.
It's just such a perfect fit. Plus it's the perfect sport to listen to while kicking
back in the garage or cottage or on the boat, or by the bbq....

nascarguy
05-20-2010, 12:30 PM

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

yeah I like the fan better then the tv

Gobi
05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I second this.
Only listened to the radio broadcast once last season and it was fantastic.
I'm going to try to listen more often and just turn the TV sound off.

I have nothing against Forrest and Dobby personally, but the more I listen to them the more I want to punch my fist through the TV.
They have such back-water Canadian accents, it's embarrassing. (Not unlike Bob and Doug McKenzie.)
And it's a yawn-a-minute.

I want my Nigel back.

REDJUVE
05-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Not only is the commentary monotone... Sportsnet blows ! Half the time the ball is not even on the screen and the cameraman is trying to keep up with it. Then they switch to an alternate camera to show a player scratching their arse and they miss some good footie action. Plus it's blurry !! I keep rubbing my eyes thinking it's me!... Worst channel to watch games on!

Oldtimer
05-20-2010, 02:48 PM
The commentary is great on the FAN590, but you can't use it simultaneous with TV, because there is about a 2 minute delay on the TV view, so the commentary is actually ahead of the play on the screen. Too bad.

JonO
05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
They have such back-water Canadian accents, it's embarrassing. (Not unlike Bob and Doug McKenzie.)

You're just a sucker for the British accents, aren't you? :D

rocker
05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
not to pile on (ha ha!) but Forrest often gets this scolding, growly tone in his voice... like my mamma telling me I'm a bad boy, when TFC starts to screw up. It's not just that he's criticizing TFC when they screw up, but that it sounds like he's scolding a child who should know better.

Blizzard
05-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Not only is the commentary monotone... Sportsnet blows ! Half the time the ball is not even on the screen and the cameraman is trying to keep up with it. Then they switch to an alternate camera to show a player scratching their arse and they miss some good footie action. Plus it's blurry !! I keep rubbing my eyes thinking it's me!... Worst channel to watch games on!

Last night's directing was mysteriously bad. It was as if the director had never seen a soccer match before. At one point the director thought a ball went out and went to a player cutaway and sat on it for ten seconds until someone clued him in that the game was still in progress.

As others have mentioned, too much missed play for replays was a recurring problem.

Also, as with most USA based telecasts, too many cutaways of players not involved in the play while play is in action.

It was a disappointing telecast.

Regarding Forrest, none of us complained about Craig when he was working with Nigel in year one of the CBC telecasts. I thought he was fine too. It's only when he is teamed with Gerry that the commentary seems to go all pear-shaped.

Blizzard
05-20-2010, 03:30 PM
The commentary is great on the FAN590, but you can't use it simultaneous with TV, because there is about a 2 minute delay on the TV view, so the commentary is actually ahead of the play on the screen. Too bad.

Thirty-two minutes last night.

Parkdale
05-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Last night's directing was mysteriously bad. It was as if the director had never seen a soccer match before.

let's face it..... the crews of NFL Films are not moonlighting at Swanguard.

when in doubt - back to camera A. Any questions? Take camera A.

James Oliphant
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Dunleavy calls a very good game.

James Oliphant
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM

This is how I know Parky doesn't do live TV. :)

Whoop
05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Nigel Reed is good too.

Roogsy
05-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Oh man, the memories. Driving in the car with my dad listening to the Jays games. I am not a big Jays fan, but that is one of my favourite memories.

Blizzard
05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Nigel Reed is good too.

... as is Luke.

nascarguy
05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
who does the commentating at bmo field...

greatwhitenorf
05-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Well said. It's a cute little stadium but the broadcast facilities are like Centennial Stadium. You're quite a ways back from the field with the running track and bench area in front of the stands and they were calling a game with the NightCaps featuring Martin 'Drama' Nash and 10 other guys named Mo out there.

Dobson and Forrest are oK, better in studio doing their Soccer Central or Champions League thing. We could have so much worse.

Dunleavy's coming along, has a tendency to make plays sound bigger than they are. Been guilty of going well over the top at world junior hockey events. Iarusci has a tendency to sound sarcastic sometimes, talk down about what he's watching.

greatwhitenorf
05-20-2010, 11:01 PM
who does the commentating at bmo field...

GRrrrrOWllly Grrrravelllchuuk.

nascarguy
05-21-2010, 02:27 AM
GRrrrrOWllly Grrrravelllchuuk.
who? oh well anyways they both suck

James Oliphant
05-21-2010, 05:05 AM

We call those "The Rob Faulds/Jamie Campbell Years".

Seriously though, we've had some very good play-by-play men on both the radio and TV broadcasts of Jays games. Don Chevrier, Fergie Oliver...Dan Shulman is a legend, and Jim Hughson called a hell of a ball game too. Jerry Howarth still kills it on The Fan.

No one beats Tom Cheek though...

5qsURndMW-w

Skip to 1:47.

flatpicker
05-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Back in the day I would watch Leaf games with the sound off and the radio broadcast on.
I think it started because the channel didn't always come in well enough for good sound (even though I had a wire hooked up to the antenna wrapping around the room and out the window)
But I soon realised that the play-by-play on radio was far superior... it had to be.
But these days, there is too much delay to sinc up radio and tv together.