PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Voting is Live!

drewski
05-18-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-all-star-ballot

nfitz
05-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Why are they bothering to list players such as Buddle and Donovan who will be unavailable because they have Champions League games that will keep them from playing in the All-Star game?

James17930
05-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Now, do we vote for TFC players to try and get them on the team, or not vote for them so they don't have to play in an extra meaningless game mid-season in 35 degree weather?

sulfur
05-18-2010, 11:21 AM
All DC players! :D

drewski
05-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Now, do we vote for TFC players to try and get them on the team, or not vote for them so they don't have to play in an extra meaningless game mid-season in 35 degree weather?

and vote for some of the rougher players in the league to take out our opponents :devil:

Keystone FC
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I voted an all Crew ballot. Let them sweat it out in Houston with 2 games in hand, a USOC, and a CCL tournament and see how they do. I'm thinking they'll crumble towards the end of the season like Ohios economy. ;)

James17930
05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
I voted an all Crew ballot. Let them sweat it out in Houston with 2 games in hand, a USOC, and a CCL tournament and see how they do. I'm thinking they'll crumble towards the end of the season like Ohios economy. ;)

Have you considered moving to Toronto? :canada:

Carts
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
We should mega-vote GARCIA...

Just assault the site with votes for him - make him win the voting by thousands and thousands...

Then watch the MLS try and skew it one way or another...

Vancouver Canucks fans nearly got Rory Fitzpatrick on the all-star team a while back with some great youtube ads and a full "Rory for All-Star" campaign...

Lets DO IT!

Carts...

drewski
05-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Just assault the site with votes for him - make him win the voting by thousands and thousands...

Vancouver Canucks fans nearly got Rory Fitzpatrick on the all-star team a while back with some great youtube ads and a full "Rory for All-Star" campaign...

Lets DO IT!

Carts...

he's not on the ballot

Carts
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
he's not on the ballot

No write in candidate option...???

That's a fail...

Carts...

loconet
05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Anyone but TFC players!

We play KC on the 31st , All-star game is on July 28th.

It probably makes sense for us to send as many KC players to burn at the all-star game before playing us. So snipe away boys...

KC's roster .. http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/kansas-city-wizards

Klinsmann
05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
I wanted to vote for Nick Garcia, but didn't see him listed there!

nfitz
05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Now, do we vote for TFC players to try and get them on the team, or not vote for them so they don't have to play in an extra meaningless game mid-season in 35 degree weather?Unless we manage to really mess up playing Vancouver, it doesn't make any difference as none of our players will be there, as they will be playing in a Champions League game that day, or the day before or after.

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Certainly don't want any TFC players on the list.

nfitz
05-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Certainly don't want any TFC players on the list.If an abundance of Seattle, Galaxy, and TFC players make the list, it might serve to demonstrate the stupidity of scheduling the All-Star game at the same time as Champions League games.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
i hear what everyone's saying about strategically voting against TFC players, but being selected to the all-star team is an honour and i'm sure the players would love the accolade.

in the end, this is a glorified popularity contest, and considering how badly TFC is perceived here in America, there's nothing i would love more than seeing the MLS website headlines proclaiming TFC players head and shoulders above the rest.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
anyone know how often we can stuff the ballot box? i just voted 10 times for Frei successfully

SilverSamurai
05-18-2010, 01:26 PM
i hear what everyone's saying about strategically voting against TFC players, but being selected to the all-star team is an honour and i'm sure the players would love the accolade.

in the end, this is a glorified popularity contest, and considering how badly TFC is perceived here in America, there's nothing i would love more than seeing the MLS website headlines proclaiming TFC players head and shoulders above the rest.
+1.
Let's be honest, most players won't play a full 90 so why not have the best team possible. I don't think any rational minded player is going to play in the all star game over a CL match...
I'll vote later on.

Pachuco
05-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Honestly I agree. But I think Dero is the only one that gets my vote for the all star game. I'd vote for Frei as well but probably isn't going to get it.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
These are De Rosario's comments from the 2006 MLS All-Stars v. Chelsea match

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=375156&cc=5901

Though he's won an MLS title and was runner-up for the league's MVP award last year, he missed the World Cup in Germany this summer. De Rosario is Canadian, and Canada didn't qualify.

"For me, this was my World Cup," said De Rosario, the game's MVP. "It's a beautiful feeling to score in a game like this."
I fail to see why you take this away from our guys.

Steve
05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Why are they bothering to list players such as Buddle and Donovan who will be unavailable because they have Champions League games that will keep them from playing in the All-Star game?

I'm pretty sure there is a bonus associated with being picked for the all-star game, so if they're voted in, they would still get it, but not play.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Honestly I agree. But I think Dero is the only one that gets my vote for the all star game. I'd vote for Frei as well but probably isn't going to get it.

Realistically De Ro, maybe De Guz because he has a lot of buzz being a DP and a lot of the Spanish-oriented fans know about him from La Liga. Frei has a remote, outside shot.

But still, I want someone like Cann or LaBrocca or OBW to look at the poll results, even if they're not first but the sheer number of votes they received, and see our appreciation in the form of massive number of votes.

eustacchio
05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Could they not have put this list in alphabetical order?

TFC247
05-18-2010, 02:12 PM
$$$

Whether they play or not, it's written in CBA as a mandatory to give out the recognition for bonus purposes.

Eastend
05-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Could they not have put this list in alphabetical order?

No, that would help script writers. If you notice that once you vote then go back into the poll, the list is adjusted slightly.

eustacchio
05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
No, that would help script writers. If you notice that once you vote then go back into the poll, the list is adjusted slightly.

That makes sense.

Now that you mention it, I did notice the reshuffle.

bgnewf
05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/i-guess-mls-will-always-be-just-a-little-different/ (http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/i-guess-mls-will-always-be-just-a-little-different/)

Why the All Star Game Voting got me thinking why MLS will remain a "different kind" of league for a lot of years to come and I choose my most hated XI for the game against Man United.

Comments always welcome and appreciated

Tim

__________________________________________________ ______

I Guess MLS Will Always Be Just A Little Different

With the MLS announcement today that voting is now open for the MLS All Star Game later this summer I realized that in a lot of ways MLS is, and will likely remain, very different than just about every other professional top flight professional footy league on earth.

And better or worse, a lot of the differences are going to remain differences for a long time to come.

Now don’t get me wrong. As a spectacle the All Star Game is fun. I had a blast at the All Star Game at BMO Field in 2008. it was great to watch Beckham, Blanco, DeRo and Jimmy Brennan among others beat West Ham. I even got to spend some time drinking a couple of wobbly pops with some of the (in)famous West Ham Supporters Group the Inter-City Firm or ICF.

I got to thinking about that match today as MLS has announced that voting for the 2010 edition of the game against Manchester United in Houston is now open for business. And once again fans see how very much different MLS is in relation to virtually every other footy league on the planet.

I must confess do not want one single solitary Toronto FC player anywhere near Houston for a game that only serves to take focus from the competitive league matches that have to be played before and after the All Star Game. I read on the message boards today that some TFC fans have even started voting “strategically”, putting in votes for hated Columbus Crew players and Kansas City players (whose club TFC plays three days after the All Star game). Many feel that voting for Toronto FC players is not the right thing to do. And I can’t say I blame them.

The “connected” MLS fan, whether they be U Sector in Toronto, HHH in Columbus, Section 8 in Chicago, Barra Brava in DC or Riot Squad in LA, are all already converts to the clubs, the league and the sport. They don’t need mid season spectacles to get them to buy in. They have already done so. The “casual” North American sports fan does not understand that shutting down the league to play an all star game is abhorrent to many footy purists. Nor do they understand that promotion/relegation is the norm and not the exception. They do not understand why moving a league match to accommodate Real Madrid for example is something fans will get angry about. And they certainly don’t understand why you would ever think of not having playoffs to decide the winner of the league.

Soccer is not, nor will it ever be, at the at the top of the heap in North American professional sports. There is a lot of room to grow and the changes over the past few years are definitely steps in the right direction. But the collective gnashing of teeth from the “connected” fans about these differences needs to be tempered with a few reality checks. North American sports leagues have salary caps, playoffs and all star games. Perhaps in years ahead as soccer at the highest levels grows the way we all hope it will then there may be more of an alignment between the leagues we follow overseas and MLS. And All Star Games are part and parcel of what this league will be about for a lot of years to come.

Until then TFC fans lets do all we can to keep every TFC player we can away from Houston unless of course they are playing for TFC against Houston.

Here is a list of my most hated starting XI that I voted for today. I encourage you to join me in voting for these sad sad individuals. Together we can keep every TFC Player we can away from this match!

Forwards
Jeff Cunningham (TFC fans know why)
Steven Lenhart (Super douche in the making)

Midfielders
Freddie Ljungberg (You are dead to me Freddy… DEAD TO ME!)
Guillermo Barros Schelotto (A Super Douche who is training Lenhart in his image)
Kyle Beckerman (The hair… can’t get past the hair)
Robbie Rogers (When in doubt always go for a Columbus player)
Eddie Gaven (See Robbie Rogers)

Defenders
Pablo Escobar (He might scare Man U on name alone)
Frankie Hejduk (A double threat of Columbus and the greasiest hair in the league)
Danny Califf (Maybe he can fulfill a dream of mine and smack Gary Neville square in the chops)

Goalkeeper
Zach Thornton (Since “Penis Head” Matt Reis is injured you can’t go wrong with the square footage that is Zach Thornton)

Vote today, vote tomorrow, VOTE OFTEN!

Darlofletch
05-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Midfielders
Freddie Ljungberg (You are dead to me Freddy… DEAD TO ME!)

Oh My God, Bgnewf wants Freddie Ljungberg to die...literally.

You crossed the line from criticism to pure hate there. A disgrace!

Hitcho
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
was there really any need to pimp your rather ridiculously skewed, hate filled blog in this thread? and then post it in full to boot? that's just annoying.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh My God, Bgnewf wants Freddie Ljungberg to die...literally.

You crossed the line from criticism to pure hate there. A disgrace!

Like Sir Alex would say, "Absolute Disgrace."

was there really any need to pimp your rather ridiculously skewed, hate filled blog in this thread? and then post it in full to boot? that's just annoying.

+1. If people truly want your opinion, they'll come to your blog and get it. Don't force it on people.

nfitz
05-18-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a bonus associated with being picked for the all-star game, so if they're voted in, they would still get it, but not play.I didn't know that.

Given our players won't be available for the All-Star game then, because of Champions League, then we should all vote for TFC players.

These suggestions to vote for other than TFC players seem bizarre to me. What possible logic is there in that?

prizby
05-18-2010, 05:12 PM
for a lot of the tfc players, it would be a big honour for them to go the all-star game

i voted all TFC

bgnewf
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Like Sir Alex would say, "Absolute Disgrace."

+1. If people truly want your opinion, they'll come to your blog and get it. Don't force it on people.

not forcing anything on anyone. The powers that be here prefer that bloggers not hot link their posts, hence the cross posting here.

just trying to respect the rules in your house.:)

loconet
05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I think you are underestimating the importance of the all-star game to MLS players and the league. If a player is voted to the all-star team (as Dero very well could be), I would think he would want to play. Anyone who was at the 2008 game saw how much it meant to Dero to play in that game. I think TFC would be inclined to release him (or anyone else chosen) to play in the All-Star game if that's his choice (assuming there is a Champions League conflict). The league may have something to say about it also. We're releasing him to play in a friendly this weekend impacting a league game, which is our most important competition.

You are underestimating DeRo's commitment to the team (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/article/666201--de-rosario-picks-tfc-over-all-stars)

TFCRegina
05-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Lets DO IT!

Carts...

Chris Pronger...he claims to be an NHL all star...but he was drafted 2nd overall, after Alexander Daigle...one of the biggest draft busts in NHL history. Not the material of an all star...

Rory Fitzpatrick, on the otherhand, was drafted after such perennial all-stars such as saku koivu, paul kariya and chris pronger

jimiv
05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
I think it would be cool to have TFC represented in the most votes, whether or not they decide to play, it sure would look great to show our support for them!

:flare::scarf::flare:

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 09:02 PM
not forcing anything on anyone. The powers that be here prefer that bloggers not hot link their posts, hence the cross posting here.

I guess me thinking you were forcing it is a "reactionary" thing that I assume, as a RPB member, I'm just predestined to do, eh?

the powers that be gave you the option to post your blog link in the news page, giving you more than enough exposure.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 09:03 PM
for a lot of the tfc players, it would be a big honour for them to go the all-star game

i repeatedly voted all TFC

/fixed

devioustrevor
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I've been voting almost a straight TFC card. My only exceptions are Will Johnson instead of Martin Saric an Dejan Jakovic instead of Maxim Usanov.

ginkster88
05-25-2010, 06:36 PM

Not forcing, yet you copy/paste a blog entry into a thread...

Azerban
05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
put him on ignore, you won't miss anything

Azerban
05-25-2010, 07:07 PM
and if you want to show support but not fuck the team over, vote pure tfc except for dero, jdg and frei. they're the only 3 with a real shot at actually playing, which we don't want to actually happen, and this way barrett or labrocca or whoever you want gets to feel some love.