PDA

View Full Version : Brunt Article

J .
05-17-2010, 10:53 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/thierry-henry-from-la-rambla-to-broadway/article1572174/

I found it to be an interesting read, seems to hit the nail on the head.

habstfc
05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't know if henry is going to tear it up, as some would suggest. I don't know how motivated he is going to be, after playing in the world cup this summer?

CretanBull
05-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't know if henry is going to tear it up, as some would suggest. I don't know how motivated he is going to be, after playing in the world cup this summer?

1) an unmotivated Henry is still 10 times better than any other striker in the MLS.

2) when guys like that come here, they come with the dream (and ego) that they're going to be the one who finally sells footie to America.

I'm guessing that he destroys this league.

Roogsy
05-17-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't often autograph hound...but his is one signature I wouldn't mind going out of my way to get.

James17930
05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
It's gonna be good.

habstfc
05-18-2010, 12:02 AM
They thought beckham would sell footie in america as well but I don't see soccer any further ahead than it was 3 years ago.

Stryker
05-18-2010, 12:04 AM
They thought beckham would sell footie in america as well but I don't see soccer any further ahead than it was 3 years ago.

Then you should clean your glasses.

habstfc
05-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Just because there are more teams in mls now than 3 years ago doesn't mean it has taken off in america. Do you think the average midwesterner or average new yorker cares more about soccer now then say, 10 years ago? HUh I don't believe that.

James17930
05-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Just because there are more teams in mls now than 3 years ago doesn't mean it has taken off in america. Do you think the average midwesterner or average new yorker cares more about soccer now then say, 10 years ago? HUh I don't believe that.

Who cares about the averages? There are way more hardcores now -- that's all that's important.

(of course, I would argue that was more to do with us than Beckham ;) )

Keystone FC
05-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Until one MLS defender tackles him from behind and shatters his kneecap. This is still a ruff league as Beckham found out against Chivas:
sotolFBuGW0
Henry better come into this league with a mindset that this will be 'work' and not a free lunch. He must come into this league to prove he is as good as everyone thinks he is...without using his hands.:D

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Until one MLS defender tackles him from behind and shatters his kneecap. This is still a ruff league as Beckham found out against Chivas:

Henry better come into this league with a mindset that this will be 'work' and not a free lunch. He must come into this league to prove he is as good as everyone thinks he is...without using his hands.:D

In fairness that was the SuperClassico, but your point's still valid. Henry is an aging finesse player, he's got to be aware that the league is rough and tumble. I'm going to assume that Henry is aware that the physicality is higher in the MLS than EPL or La Liga.

I know who I want as my choice to be the first one to put the studs in Henry (especially now that this man is back in the league with the Dynamo):

Qc09yuc07YI
:flare:

manic.street.preacher
05-18-2010, 05:18 AM
i like the byline: "French forward Thierry Henry holds his national flag at the end of the 2006 World Cup semi-final. AFP/Getty Images
Controversial France striker set to give North American soccer a helping hand by swapping Barcelona for New York after World Cup" :D

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 07:28 AM
The French league is quite physical, so I'm sure he's dealt with that sort of play in the past.

It's still uncertain that he is coming to NY. Reports are going both ways.

bgnewf
05-18-2010, 07:39 AM
I Love Arsenal.

Thierry Henry is a god to Arsenal fans.

I Love MLS and want it to be a success.

I hate the Red Bulls.

Honestly I am excited he is coming here, too bad it is not to Toronto.

billyfly
05-18-2010, 08:33 AM
See the comments section - always gotta be someone that slags soccer in NA just like there has always gotta be a guy who throws in a Leaf joke for any Leaf stories...

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't often autograph hound...but his is one signature I wouldn't mind going out of my way to get.

I've got a white Henry jersey from the Portugal EC in 2004. Would be perfect for a sig.

and yeah... Ligue 1 is brutally physical. MLS is comparably physical, but without the skill to even things out.

OneLoveOneEric
05-18-2010, 08:38 AM
1) an unmotivated Henry is still 10 times better than any other striker in the MLS.

2) when guys like that come here, they come with the dream (and ego) that they're going to be the one who finally sells footie to America.

Precisely. MLS players don't walk on the same field as Thierry Henry, and I'm saying that as someone who dislikes him. Anyone that thinks he won't light it up here is in for a big surprise.

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
from the article (not about Henry, but about the league)

MLS provides the enthusiasts with an appropriate, ideally soccer-specific environment, encourages a true supporter culture, puts the best-available talent on the field (understanding the economic limitations) and then sprinkles in a few designated players – some of whom, like Henry and Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg, are going to be big names who once competed at the absolute highest levels, and now can no longer do so.

(It’s telling that the league seems to be doing best in cities where franchises were established after it figured out its place, both in the soccer and the North American sports universe.)

couldn't be more accurate than that.

billyfly
05-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Henry will do very well in MLS unless there is some incredible lack of service for him mixed with his complete boredom at chasing down balls.

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Henry will do very well in MLS unless there is some incredible lack of service for him mixed with his complete boredom at chasing down balls.

with Robinson and Angel, I think he'll be getting the ball at his feet more often than not.

billyfly
05-18-2010, 08:55 AM
^Pretty much why I think he'd do well.

ilikemusic
05-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Fuck Henry! That cheating scumbag!

:o

Theres my Irish rant.

On a serious tip, he will tear this league apart.

Beach_Red
05-18-2010, 09:19 AM
from the article (not about Henry, but about the league)

(It’s telling that the league seems to be doing best in cities where franchises were established after it figured out its place, both in the soccer and the North American sports universe.)

couldn't be more accurate than that.

Yes, but that's it's place "at the moment." It's till changing almost every day. Certainly MLS wants to be among the best in the world, it's just trying to figure out how to get there.

ilikemusic
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
with Robinson and Angel, I think he'll be getting the ball at his feet more often than not.

I feel like I must have been taking crazy pills while watching Robbo play because apparently I was looking at a different player. Robinson was a terrible passer and gave the ball away more than anyone on the team. Maybe that was just a function of the ball going through him all the time, but I never saw Robbo as a contributor to our offense (which was downright offensive during his entire tenure here).

Blazer
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/thierry-henry-from-la-rambla-to-broadway/article1572174/

I found it to be an interesting read, seems to hit the nail on the head.

Brunt has made a career out of doing that. He's is in a class of his own when it comes to responsible journalism.

billyfly
05-18-2010, 09:25 AM
He's from Hamilton. What does he know?

Darlofletch
05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
See the comments section - always gotta be someone that slags soccer in NA just like there has always gotta be a guy who throws in a Leaf joke for any Leaf stories...

the globe and mail articles in particular always have that, much more so than other papers.

henry should be annoyingly good in this league. But i hope he isn't, fuck him and the red bulls.

billyfly
05-18-2010, 09:42 AM
^I guess b/c the Globe is a national paper (?)

Derko
05-18-2010, 09:56 AM
I enjoyed watching Beckham play at the all-star game in Toronto, enjoy watching Freddie Ljunberg and will enjoy watching Henry and any players of that calbre. It is good for football in North America, I would be nice to see TFC draw such a player, but if TFC can be a success without, then all the better for us.

Darlofletch
05-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I guess I'm just too partisan to enjoy players on competing teams, i would love to see henry get kicked about, get really frustrated at the league and the refs and everything and leave in a huff, with the whole thing a total disaster. That would be hilarious to me.

I don't care how "good for the league" it would be, I'd get no pleasure out of watching him do really really well and lead the shite bulls to the mls cup.

My favourite part of the Beckham/galaxy experiment was when it looked like it was all going wrong and the riot squad were giving him shit. That to me was when i thought this is "good for the league", another step towards a real supporters culture as opposed to giddy star-watching.

J .
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
I think the Henry tale is really a side to the fact he really identifies what MLS is about as a league.

P-NUTZ
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
i grabbed an extra pair of tickets for the Aug NY RED BULLS game to go with my seasons, and im glad i did. if he shows up and plays it will be a treat, even if he is a slimy cheater. he's a great player, and it will make for a very interesting game. love it!

rocker
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a feeling Henry, if he comes, will not be playing with Angel very long.
From reports, Angel is not the same player he was in the past. NYRB fans are calling him lazy these days -- a guy who needs to be in the perfect position with the perfect pass to score a goal. Maybe he's got an injury, but he's also getting up there in age. He might really only have a half season with Henry.

Chewy Unikronik
05-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Going to have to dust off the old Arsenal Kit for this game now...

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Looking forward to hearing about NYRB supporters outing noobs who jump on for Henry. Not looking forward to the circus that will follow him here and every other MLS city. It IS good for the league to add new support from the gajillion plastics that will crawl outta the woodwork though.

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Perhaps if your name was tfchabs you'd see.

Henry is not as marketable as Becks but he makes it damn close since what he lacks as posterboy he makes up for in actual skill and entertaining play.

P-NUTZ
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
im in there with season tickets every year anyhow - so let these guys like henry play right in front of me on a sunny day while i drink my beer!!! love it!

drewski
05-18-2010, 11:10 AM
He's from Hamilton. What does he know?

enough to know to get the hell outta there and go to an awesome school like UWO :D

drewski
05-18-2010, 11:12 AM

^^^

that there is some awesome TFC supporting!

torontocelt
05-18-2010, 11:18 AM
I read yesterday that he is going to wait until after the world cup before deciding on his future and that he also has other offers on the table including two from premiership clubs.

As much as I would enjoy seeing Henry play live, I feel it would be a big waste of his talent to come here and play in the MLS while he is still able to perfom at the highest level. It is not for me to decide but if I were Henry I would move here in a couple of seasons time when he will still be more than good enough to be a high calibre DP.

I felt the same way when Beckam announced he was coming here although Beckam did in part satisfy his hunger for the big stages by signing with Milan. Perhaps Henry will do the same in the MLS off season if he were to come here, either way I think he should be competing at the highest level while he can and he is not going to get that here in the MLS.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I read yesterday that he is going to wait until after the world cup before deciding on his future and that he also has other offers on the table including two from premiership clubs.

As much as I would enjoy seeing Henry play live, I feel it would be a big waste of his talent to come here and play in the MLS while he is still able to perfom at the highest level. It is not for me to decide but if I were Henry I would move here in a couple of seasons time when he will still be more than good enough to be a high calibre DP.

I felt the same way when Beckam announced he was coming here although Beckam did in part satisfy his hunger for the big stages by signing with Milan. Perhaps Henry will do the same in the MLS off season if he were to come here, either way I think he should be competing at the highest level while he can and he is not going to get that here in the MLS.

I think your comparing apples and oranges with Beckham and Henry.

Beckham is an ambassador/Henry a mercenary…

drewski
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
any bets on which Italian team he'll go play for in the winter a la Becks? back to juve, or may Inter?

torontocelt
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I think your comparing apples and oranges with Beckham and Henry.

Beckham is an ambassador/Henry a mercenary…

I meant purely in a football way as both players certainly did not have to come to the MLS whas early as they did, that is if Henry signs that is. Beckam still had all the tools to compete for a great club, his passing is and always will be top drawer and he has a good engine also and a heart of a champion. Henry can definitely still play at a top level.

Now I know Henry loved his time at Arsenal but I wonder what would happen if Fergie gave him a call? He is better than Owen and does not break down with injuries like Owen. Henry could do a job at United as long as he was accomodated into the team. The chances of this happening are probably slim but he is still good enough to play for a team of that calibre for sure.

Chewy Unikronik
05-18-2010, 12:23 PM
^^^

that there is some awesome TFC supporting!
Whatever, buddy. I was an Arsenal supporter and fan of Henry long before TFC came into existence.

I guess I am a lesser fan for supporting more than one team. Get a life.

billyfly
05-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Whatever, buddy. I was an Arsenal supporter and fan of Henry long before TFC came into existence.

Oh the great debate....it will never stop.

Chewy Unikronik
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Nothing to debate really. I don't see why people on this board are so quick to jump on others for liking other teams, players and *gasp* sports (CFL)!

God forbid, there be a world that existed prior to TFC, and still does.

billyfly
05-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Sure Chewy but you should be able to understand that some don't agree with you or that "style" and some are more partisan than others.

I ain't calling you out or nothing but I'll have to admit I don't agree with you on this.

drewski
05-18-2010, 12:38 PM

nothing wrong with supporting another team in a different league or totally different sports :) (you'll find me discussing many other footie teams and other sports in the appropriate forums)

BUT...

you're on a TorontoFC supporters forum and talking about supporting a player on another club (in the same league and in a meaningful game) when they come here. In that case, you have to expect to get some ribbing.

Chewy Unikronik
05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Fair enough, I wouldn't expect a everyone to agree in either way.

Been a season ticket holder since day one and wearing an Henry jersey won't change that fact. Didn't say I'd be wearing pom-poms and cheering the Red Bulls, which is a big difference.

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Make sure it's their red kit.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
i grabbed an extra pair of tickets for the Aug NY RED BULLS game to go with my seasons, and im glad i did. if he shows up and plays it will be a treat, even if he is a slimy cheater. he's a great player, and it will make for a very interesting game. love it!

i didnt even consider how this will affect TFC. We play NYRB back to back in August. And you know if Henry is going to come, MLS will want him to play on ESPN against the "international" team.

Derko
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I guess I'm just too partisan to enjoy players on competing teams, i would love to see henry get kicked about, get really frustrated at the league and the refs and everything and leave in a huff, with the whole thing a total disaster. That would be hilarious to me.

I don't care how "good for the league" it would be, I'd get no pleasure out of watching him do really really well and lead the shite bulls to the mls cup.

My favourite part of the Beckham/galaxy experiment was when it looked like it was all going wrong and the riot squad were giving him shit. That to me was when i thought this is "good for the league", another step towards a real supporters culture as opposed to giddy star-watching.

:scarf: :drinking:

habstfc
05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
I just don't think henry will be any more a saviour for mls than beckham is. I actually think tfc has just as much to do with the recent "success"(if you want to call it that) of mls as beckham. When tfc came in and the fans showed what being at a soccer game is all about I think it raised the bar significantly for other supporters, and some have answered the call, i.e. seattle. If tfc came in and was a flop as many predicted, I don't know if the portland's or philadephia's or vancouver's etc. would even have happened. The league might even have failed.

Mls started to do the right thing and concentrate on market's where the game would prosper(toronto,seattle) and not worry about if it was in america or not. I want henry to succeed , I want mls to succeed otherwise I wouldn't be spending money game in and game out, going to the games If I didn't. Mls, is what it is, it's a league where the average fan can be satisfied with the quality with a few big names scattered throughout the league as steven brunt alluded to.

jazzy
05-18-2010, 01:34 PM
he's not slimy, he admitted it, FIFA on the otherhand, let it slide, & still no extra goal judges or cameras/vidoe replay in questionable goals

Fort York Redcoat
05-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I just don't think henry will be any more a saviour for mls than beckham is.

Mls, is what it is, it's a league where the average fan can be satisfied with the quality with a few big names scattered throughout the league as steven brunt alluded to.

MLS is not the only league that has to settle for few big name quality players. It's just in the richest and most flooded sports market. This Henry move actually supports a better move for MLS. A big time player aquisition that is more steak than sizzle.

Noobs can come to the game and expect to see the best player in the league play like it not to see what his hair looks like.

jazzy
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
+1......this is getting silly, go Arsenal, but my home is now and forever with TFC, it's like an old girlfriend, you move on to better things, but always hope they are doing well........