PDA

View Full Version : Robinson - Wall of honour.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
"Congratulations to Danny dichio for getting on the "wall of fame". Fully deserved... Still waiting for my call though!!!"
http://twitter.com/carlrobinson33

I know a some have mentioned that he should be too... I personally don;t think he should...
There are a lot of fans that that are devided on what he brought to tfc and although it was he was one of the better tfc players. The fact of the matter is that the rest of the players were pretty shit. And for what he was getting payed i think Carl should give the fans some refund. BUt hey that is my side of the story.
the reason to this post was. the fact that he actually... kinda asks for it... Which i personally find a little annoying.. on top of the fact that i don;t think he really deserves to be there. What's next? Lombardo and Welsh?:facepalm:

sidvan
05-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Love Robbo and wish he had never left. Wall of honour - No.

pekduck
05-17-2010, 12:40 PM
wall of honour - bloody hell, no!

Parkdale
05-17-2010, 12:41 PM
the reason to this post was. the fact that he actually... kinda asks for it... Which i personally find a little annoying.. on top of the fact that i don;t think he really deserves to be there. What's next? Lombardo and Welsh?:facepalm:

it's what people call 'a joke'. He's following that old Welsh tradition of 'having a laugh'.

see... here's another joke:

And for what he was getting payed i think Carl should give the fans some refund. BUt hey that is my side of the story.

just not as funny :D

yellowfellow
05-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Cunningham? Or does he belong to the Wall of Horror

Mikey
05-17-2010, 12:43 PM
It's double funny cos' the "wall of honour" itself is also a joke.

AL-MO
05-17-2010, 12:45 PM
This 'Wall of Honour' is going to turn into a shit show!!

Parkdale
05-17-2010, 12:46 PM

:hulk:

then smash it down oh angry one.

AL-MO
05-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Naw, I'll just put a banner on top of it. :D

tfcleeds
I still think Dichio should be the only one on it. While both Brennan and Robbo were loyal servants to TFC during their time here, neither of them is quite wall-of-honour worthy.

yellowfellow
The Buffalo Bills put every player who played for them on a wall. We might as well do that.

Shway
the next player to go up is Dero

Shway
05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
I still think Dichio should be the only one on it. While both Brennan and Robbo were loyal servants to TFC during their time here, neither of them is quite wall-of-honour worthy.

Woah brennan loved the club, he was a good captain

ua-kozak_TFC
05-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Exactly! Dichio should be the only one recognized for his achievement. Because he is the only one who brought the fans some happiness during those years of misery.

__wowza
05-17-2010, 12:56 PM
DID SOMEONE SAY...
FUAD IBRAHIM?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/image_nodes/2010/03/fIbrahim.jpg

tfcleeds
05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Cunningham? Or does he belong to the Wall of Horror

Not sure there would be quite enough room at BMO if we had a Wall of Horror, lol.

ilikemusic
05-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Robbo is obviously joking, but it is still frightening to hear.

There are people here who would support putting Robbo up there. And that scares the shit out of me for what kind of standard has been set.

Robbo is the most overrated player in franchise history.

bimmer
05-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Meh, in terms of on-field contributions, I feel Robbo brought just as much, if not more than Jimmy B during his tenure here. JB just has that whole first player, first captain, first Canadian thing going for him.

ua-kozak_TFC
05-17-2010, 01:09 PM
it's what people call 'a joke'. He's following that old Welsh tradition of 'having a laugh'.

see... here's another joke:

just not as funny :D
ha! YEs definetly and Ricketts' twitteRAGE was posted by someone who hacked into his account.:rolleyes:
I was trying to make a joke, and I am pretty sure neither did carl...

Parkdale
05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
ha! YEs definetly and Ricketts' twitteRAGE was posted by someone who hacked into his account.:rolleyes:
I was trying to make a joke, and I am pretty sure neither did carl...

I've read that a few times.... still not exactly sure what you mean.

Clearly Robinson made his comments as a joke, as you'd have to be crazy to think you'd be on a 'wall of honour' for a team other than the one you are playing for.

Darlofletch
05-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Brennan, decent player, first player, first captain so fair enough
Dichio, decent player, first cult hero so fair enough.
Robbo, Decent player, but doesn't have that little extra to make him worth it. and to me it seemed like he was joking about his own chances, as well as poking fun at the whole idea.

De Ro, best player we've had so far, next captain, record goalscorer, and will hopefully have led us to some success by the time he leaves, but even if not, I'd say he's earned going up next whenever he retires.

colman1860
05-17-2010, 01:17 PM
We've never made the playoffs - why should we be honouring any players? I love Dichio like anyone on this board, but I think in order for that wall to be worth anything, it should still be empty.

ParadymeTFC
05-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Meh, in terms of on-field contributions, I feel Robbo brought just as much, if not more than Jimmy B during his tenure here. JB just has that whole first player, first captain, first Canadian thing going for him.

He also holds the record for most minutes played, which with our revolving door roster policy will unfortunately stand for the next ten years.

LesH
05-17-2010, 02:11 PM

+1
can you imagine 15 years from now how Robbo will look on that wall of honour besides really good players? Who DESERVE to be there!

Parkdale
05-17-2010, 02:12 PM
+1
can you imagine 15 years from now how Robbo will look on that wall of fame besides really good players? Who DESERVE to be there!

is robbo on the wall? no, he was making a joke.

man... selective reading comprehension around here.

Mango Kid
05-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I'd be in favor, if he is coming in to cover up the previous two. Raise the bar, TFC!

Mango Kid
05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Brennan, decent player, first player, first captain so fair enough
Dichio, decent player, first cult hero so fair enough.
Robbo, Decent player, but doesn't have that little extra to make him worth it. and to me it seemed like he was joking about his own chances, as well as poking fun at the whole idea.

De Ro, best player we've had so far, next captain, record goalscorer, and will hopefully have led us to some success by the time he leaves, but even if not, I'd say he's earned going up next whenever he retires.

The "decent player" says it all. That should be for all-time greats, of which we've had none so far.

Picture this scene in 20 years:

Son: "Daddy, who are those guys and why are they up there?"
Dad: "They, umm, were among the first players on the team."
Son: "Not all time goal-scorers, champions...?"
Dad: "Nope. But they were popular!"

If I were DeRo, I was watching those ceremonies thinking "wow, I've already got this in the bag!" And, he might not be alone.

sully
05-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Well if winning the nutrilite is all it takes then why not put all of them up there! If sentimentality is reason enough...put them all up there!

Shakes McQueen
05-17-2010, 03:21 PM
The "decent player" says it all. That should be for all-time greats, of which we've had none so far.

Picture this scene in 20 years:

Son: "Daddy, who are those guys and why are they up there?"
Dad: "They, umm, were among the first players on the team."
Son: "Not all time goal-scorers, champions...?"
Dad: "Nope. But they were popular!"

If I were DeRo, I was watching those ceremonies thinking "wow, I've already got this in the bag!" And, he might not be alone.

I disagree. I'm fine with "honouring" players that resonated with the fans and the city - Dichio was definitely one of those people. If they retired his number or something, I wouldn't be okay with it. But having a little ceremony, and putting his name and number up on a wall?

I think we need to lighten up a little bit about this stuff.

That said, the next player I see as deserving of it would be DeRo, if his tenure here stays on it's current trajectory.

- Scott

LesH
05-17-2010, 03:34 PM
So how 'bout putting good 'ol Garcia on that wall too? :rolleyes:
After all Dero gave him the captain's armband in a memorable game in LA (this move was approved by a ton of people on these boards by the way), plus in that game he didn't fucked up anything!

Parkdale
05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
So how 'bout putting good 'ol Garcia on that wall too? :rolleyes:
After all Dero gave him the captain's armband in a memorable game in LA (this move was approved by a ton of people on these boards by the way), plus in that game he didn't fucked up anything!

stop being a troll.

Whoop
05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
The Wall of Honour is a joke mainly because the standard - in all honesty - has been set way too low.

I mean Chad Barrett at the moment has as many goals as Danny Dichio did in fewer appearances but doesn't mean that he should ever be on a "Wall of Honour".

But in my opinion, if you are going to do it Dichio deserves it more than Brennan. And what of Amado Guevara? LOL

But at the end of the day, no one deserves yet.

The best thing they should have done was wait 5 years after retirement which at that point the initial aura would fade you would realize... what the hell were we thinking?

Right now, the only guy who is/has been putting "Wall of Honour" performances is DeRo... but he would have to do it for a good 5-6 years at least before getting honoured.

Hitcho
05-17-2010, 04:10 PM
I think people need to realise that the first couple of names on the wall got on tgere for special reasons. Like Darlo already pointed out, JImmy got on there for being the first ever signing, first ever captain, first season iron man, first player to rack up a big tranche of "minutes" and general all round first seaosn legend kind of guy. Dichio got on for similar reasons, but read first cult hero and top seaosn scorer for first player and captain.

I really think from here on in it will take a lot more to get on the Wall. if De Ro stays until he retires, has become leading goalscorer by a distance and general all round folklore type hero as well as second captain, then he will likely get on it, especially since he's a hometown boy. But right now, I don;t think there are any other past or current players who would even be on the radar.

Now if we signed Henry from under the noses of the shite bulls and he plundered forty goals a season on the way to leading TFC to a hat-trick of MSL Cups, then he;d get on for sure... :D:D:D

GlenM
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Robbo played pretty well, however my answer is No.

There's only 2 possible ones for the future...

I would say DeRo & Frei.

GlenM

Damien
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Robinsons not going up there til they at least give a nod to Andy Welsh!!! :D

trane
05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Dichio shuold be there. Simply for his role in TFC history. The reason Robbo can say that he should be on the wall of honour, is that because while Brennan is Canadian he cotributed less then Robbo on the pitch. Neither is quite wall of honour worthy, but when you put one the other has a claim.

Flipityflu
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Robbo should go on the wall simply for doing that goal celebration in public ;)

canadian_bhoy
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Who cares. In five years, the Wall of Honour will just be a giant Metro banner or Carlsberg sign.

Isn't there a fan wall of honour somewhere? Or was it quietly taken down?

rocker
05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Isn't there a fan wall of honour somewhere?

yeah there is one coming.. you'll be the first on it.. but then we'd debate your candidacy.

trane
05-17-2010, 04:55 PM
If there is a supporters wall of hounr, the original group of dudes that founded the RPB have to be on it. Seriously. With no supporters groups this franchise would be a failure.

Whoop
05-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Who cares. In five years, the Wall of Honour will just be a giant Metro banner or Carlsberg sign.

Isn't there a fan wall of honour somewhere? Or was it quietly taken down?

You're half right.

The Carlsberg Wall of Honour brought to you by Metro.

Yeoman
05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
If there is a supporters wall of hounr, the original group of dudes that founded the RPB have to be on it. Seriously. With no supporters groups this franchise would be a failure.

you're welcome non-RPB's
i take accept in 50 dollar bills

ag futbol
05-17-2010, 05:22 PM
My thoughts exactly.

TFC OZZ
05-17-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't know that the bar has been set too low for the wall of honour... There are good arguments for and against Brennan and Dichio being on there, as well as Carl Robinson for that matter. The fact is that at the end of the day, Brennan (first player, captain, and player-turned staff --> Tim Regan doesn't count!) and Dichio (first goal, arguably first real fan favourite) achieved feats that can never again be accomplished because they did it FIRST. Now that these two are out of the way, I don't think we'll be seeing anyone else added to that list until De Ro. So if you ask me, the bar hasn't been set too low.

jloome
05-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Wasn't Robbo the team's player of the year for the first two seasons?

Pryu
05-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Seriously, our wall of honour is wall of shame if they keep putting mediocre players on it. Do it down the road,where real good players deserve it.

canadian_bhoy
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
No seriously, does this thing still exist? Or is it covered by a concession stand or the new north stands or something?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2103/2427215829_91109c666a.jpg

Derko
05-17-2010, 08:56 PM
I think the idea is to honor a few founding members of TFC, Brennan being first player signed and Canadia, Dichio scoring first goal and became a hero. I think that those players have been honored and now it will be someone whom has contributed to the club's success. We all have personal opinions, I was a Robbo fan, and thought he brought a lot to TFC, but should not go on the 'Wall of Honor'

Darlofletch
05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Seriously, our wall of honour is wall of shame if they keep putting mediocre players on it. Do it down the road,where real good players deserve it.

The problem with supporting a lower league team is that the really good players will be in other leagues, and generally speaking, will only pass through for a short time at the beginning or end of their career. So there's very rarely going to be a slam dunk obvious choice, you have to take into account other things than just plain talent.

Torontotonto
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
No seriously, does this thing still exist? Or is it covered by a concession stand or the new north stands or something?

Still there, but last home game I noticed some of the plaques missing.

Robo to the great wall ? No

The Oz
05-17-2010, 11:03 PM
The problem with supporting a lower league team is that the really good players will be in other leagues, and generally speaking, will only pass through for a short time at the beginning or end of their career. So there's very rarely going to be a slam dunk obvious choice, you have to take into account other things than just plain talent.

QFT. Bottom line; these guys are among the first couple guys on a team that was terrible in the beginning, so they will awlays be seen with rose colored glasses. Were they as good as FO would have us believe? No, but still worth the place on the wall because without them, wouldn't have people we have now. Anyone now other than Danny D needs to show us talent and results.

So in conclusion - Robbo: No, Dichio: Yes, DeRo: Come back in a couple years.

etro
05-18-2010, 12:25 AM
What about Andy Welsh?!

Hitcho
05-18-2010, 06:21 AM

Exactly, it's a TFC wall of honour, not a world class player wall of honour. To get on, you have to achieve enough for TFC - it's all about context. That's why both Brennan and Dichio are on. De Ro seems a lock to join them at some point, and I agree with the poster above re Frei, if he stays for the long term and becomes a TFC goalkeeping legend with a few trophies under his belt. A Jerzy Dudek moment in the MLS CUp final should it - haha! :D

Kaz
05-18-2010, 07:57 AM
ya one Robbo is still playing and it should only go up after they have stopped. Second Brennan was the first player and first Canadian to play at the club. DD scored the first Goal. Danny retired because we needed cap space and he was given a new position in the club. Brennan retired because he didn't like Preki and we needed cap space and he was given a new position in the Club. As much as I like Robbo he go traded because JDG was more valuable to the club and they needed the cap space. Fans were pissed but there wasn't a up roar or anything. That alone means he shouldn't be up there. Still a great part of our history.

Hitcho
05-18-2010, 08:08 AM
ya one Robbo is still playing for another team and it should only go up after they have stopped.

Fixed!! :D:D:D

I think Robbo falls into the same class as players like Amado - distinguished and valued veterans, but not quite enough legend status to get on the Wall. Although, MVP for the first couple of seasons and season one veteran does make a very good case, you have to admit. Still, the bottom line is he was traded to the Shite Bulls in apparently acrimonious circumstances, so he's not going to get up there.

Kaz
05-18-2010, 08:14 AM
yay I think sometimes it's also a bit of a case that Both DD and Brennan are both with the club still, they became more then just players, they became residents to the GTA. Even before retiring DD was working with the Community in Thornhill, and other things. I don't recall hearing the same type of things from Robbo, it always seemed like he played here, did his best on bad teams, and when it was over he was heading home. you don't honour a Merch. And that is how Robbo always felt to me, but I could be wrong, I didn't follow the guy of the pitch, he isn't cute enough to stalk :) )

Pookie
05-18-2010, 08:16 AM
No more additions until we actually accomplish something worthy of Honour.

I get Brennan as the 1st Captain and Dichio for his 1st goal and 3 year career with the team.

A place on that Wall has to mean something and to keep adding names for the sake of adding names cheapens the entire thing.

boomcha
05-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Hey how about that squirrel from first year too? Geez..

Are we giving out charity now?

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 08:30 AM

it's next to the 'guest services' tent where people check in items like oversized bags or motorcycle helmets. As far as I know, it's still totally visible.

besides, it represents thousands (if not well into 6 figures) from ticket holders.
If it was covered, there would be complaints from many, many people.

Steve
05-18-2010, 08:44 AM
So... why are people taking this twitter seriously at all? He was joking. Seriously. He didn't actually expect it to be taken seriously. People on this board are strange.

Of course for all those just talking about the validity of the wall in general, that's cool, and I think a good discussion, but I don't think anyone (including Robbo) is seriously suggesting he should be on the wall, so who are you arguing against?

ilikemusic
05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
So... why are people taking this twitter seriously at all? He was joking. Seriously. He didn't actually expect it to be taken seriously. People on this board are strange.

Of course for all those just talking about the validity of the wall in general, that's cool, and I think a good discussion, but I don't think anyone (including Robbo) is seriously suggesting he should be on the wall, so who are you arguing against?

There are quite a few people here with a serious hard on for Robbo.

Regardless of the fact that this was just a bit of fun on his part, even the notion of the suggestion of the idea that he be honoured must be stomped out.

JonO
05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Regardless of the fact that this was just a bit of fun on his part, even the notion of the suggestion of the idea that he be honoured must be stomped out.
Yeah - because the Front Office takes its directives from us. Robbo was huge for us during our first two years. Worthy of a spot on the wall or not, I don't care...

P-NUTZ
05-18-2010, 10:01 AM
robbo sucked - overpriced, bad passes, lousy ball control, crap first touch, slow, bad tackles, blamed everyone including refs for his miscues.

i think he had a nice free kick goal once.

I think he also got a nice paycheck and should consider himself lucky. thats enough.

Dichio scored lots of goals when no one else could and had a big heart on the field. Brennan worked his ass off and would have looked better if everyone around him wasn't so old, lazy and selfish. Brennan & Danny are class are earned thier $.
The wall is kinda silly but at least those two are deserving.

Section 117
05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
All I have to say about this wall of honour is that IMO there was only one player who deserved to be on that and it is Danny. He is a legend and deserves his place on the wall.

Of the current players there is only Dero that is deserving of the honour.

Robbo's comments were in jest and I hhope taht everyone understands that.

ilikemusic
05-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah - because the Front Office takes its directives from us. Robbo was huge for us during our first two years. Worthy of a spot on the wall or not, I don't care...

Im not sure I follow. Are you being sarcastic? Are you saying he belongs up there because he was 'huge' for us during two years when we couldnt score to save our lives? Was he 'huge' for us when he was making such a mess of the midfield that perenial golden boot winners Cunningham and Buddle looked like they werent even playing the right sport?

I am just dumfounded at the love Robbo gets here in spite of how abysmal the team was with him at the helm. He played the most important position on the pitch at a time when we were an embarassment to the sport. We played some of the most offensive (in a bad way), abhorent, putrid football to ever be played with Robbo controlling the ball and people want to honour him for that?!

:noidea:

I just dont get it.

Unless you were being sarcastic.

Then :facepalm: at me.

Wull
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
He's been as good a player as we had those first few seasons and if the other two go up, so should he (though not while he's still playing MLS). I don't really think there should be a wall but they set the standard for the first two by picking mediocre journeymen who lucked out by getting to be first at a few things.

Hitcho
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
robbo sucked - overpriced, bad passes, lousy ball control, crap first touch, slow, bad tackles, blamed everyone including refs for his miscues.

i think he had a nice free kick goal once.

I think he also got a nice paycheck and should consider himself lucky. thats enough.

I think you must have missed seasons 1 and 2 in their entirety...

Alixir
05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
even if he was worthy of the "Wall of Fame".....wait till he retires.

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I see it like this:

first player / captain / canadian etc - Jim Brennan - Good Addition to the wall
first hero / first goal / first star - Danny Dichio - Good Addition to the wall.

now for the future...
first champion / first big winner / first to hoist the cup - It will be Dero - It will be a great addition to the wall.

No one else is going up there until something is won. (and I'm thinking the MLS cup)

trane
05-18-2010, 12:31 PM
^ CL Final?

ilikemusic
05-18-2010, 01:49 PM
He's been as good a player as we had those first few seasons and if the other two go up, so should he (though not while he's still playing MLS). I don't really think there should be a wall but they set the standard for the first two by picking mediocre journeymen who lucked out by getting to be first at a few things.

See this is the kind of medicore thinking that scares me with this franchise and the fans.

If we put Robbo up, we better put Guevara, Wynne, Sutton and anyone else who contributed anything over the first couple seasons. They deserve it just as much as him. Hell, they deserve it more.

Honest to God, if Robbo goes up there, im defacing his 'plaque' or whatever crap theyre putting up there.

DichioTFC
05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm not liking how this thread has the potential to become a Robbo dumping ground.

Next on the Wall is De Ro.

/end of thread

Pryu
05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey how about that squirrel from first year too? Geez..

Are we giving out charity now?

If the squirrel gets on the wall,...I nominate "PONYTAIL!" the security guard.

Wull
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
See this is the kind of medicore thinking that scares me with this franchise and the fans.

If we put Robbo up, we better put Guevara, Wynne, Sutton and anyone else who contributed anything over the first couple seasons. They deserve it just as much as him. Hell, they deserve it more.

Honest to God, if Robbo goes up there, im defacing his 'plaque' or whatever crap theyre putting up there.

Mediocrity started with the first two. At least Robbo won player of the season two years running

Damien
05-18-2010, 03:09 PM
We should have a wall of shame as well!!

TFCtoMUFC
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
We should have a wall of shame as well!!

We would needs WALLS for this to happen.

I really don't care if Brennan is on the wall. I think Edu should be there. MOJO FOR WALL OF SHAME!!

TFC_PB
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey how about that squirrel from first year too?

I love that squirrel! Bring back the squirrel!

Oblio2
05-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Robbo is obviously joking, but it is still frightening to hear.

There are people here who would support putting Robbo up there. And that scares the shit out of me for what kind of standard has been set.

Robbo is the most overrated player in franchise history.

Yeah, Cos Ricketts and Laurent Robert weren't....pfffttt

denime
05-18-2010, 10:27 PM
They should put RPB on that wall of honor next.

Stryker
05-18-2010, 10:32 PM
It's a joke all right. This whole wall business has been a joke.
Five years from now DeRo should have been the first player for such an honour.
I love Dichio and all but the wall as it stands now... is a farce.

Kaz
05-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Mediocrity started with the first two. At least Robbo won player of the season two years running

that is like giving someone an award for being the smartest dumb kid. TFC sucked balls those first two years, be it a coaching or the players. Had the Team had a decent coach and the forwards decent service Robbo, and we had a decent back line, then Robbo wouldn't have look anything but average. Like he does in NY now.

DichioTFC
05-19-2010, 06:13 AM
that is like giving someone an award for being the smartest dumb kid.
:lol:

Wull
05-19-2010, 06:31 AM
that is like giving someone an award for being the smartest dumb kid. TFC sucked balls those first two years, be it a coaching or the players. Had the Team had a decent coach and the forwards decent service Robbo, and we had a decent back line, then Robbo wouldn't have look anything but average. Like he does in NY now.

Well they gave the award to two people that weren't the smartest dumb kids!! They were both on those teams too. Stryker got it bang on above

TOBOR !
05-19-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm in agreement with anyone who shares my opinion : at this stage the very concept of honouring players is embarrassing. If anything give the lads a tribute match. or create a bobblehead.

Imagine what stadia would look like if well-established clubs (across the pond - any pond) began 'honouring' players in their fourth year.

This is nothing more than an attempt to manufacture history.

EPIC FAIL on all accounts.

MKR
05-19-2010, 07:39 AM
I'm in agreement with anyone who shares my opinion : at this stage the very concept of honouring players is embarrassing. If anything give the lads a tribute match. or create a bobblehead.

Imagine what stadia would look like if well-established clubs (across the pond - any pond) began 'honouring' players in their fourth year.

This is nothing more than an attempt to manufacture history.

EPIC FAIL on all accounts.

that's the truth right there.

This whole thing just seems so drummed up by marketing to make something look better than it actually is. Even the presentation and calling it the "The wall of honour" in big, huge font.... it just seems so forced. Just putting up the shirt graphics and leaving it at that would have looked better IMO.

Why this team (and some fans for that matter) feel the need to create some fake sense of history and tradition i will never understand. It's only been 4 years. That's all.... Let things happen in naturally in time.

KRO
05-19-2010, 07:46 AM
This thread is still going? For a guy who doesn't play for us anymore?

Robbo was joking in his tweet - it's called sarcasm. He does not expect to be on the wall even if he was a key player for us for 3 years.

Jimmy is there because he was our first player and first captain and Danny is there because he scored our first goal and was a talisman for the first couple of seasons.

I don't expect to see another name up there for a few years.

BS1327
05-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I think the next one is a no brainer...
THE FANS!!
Ask Cann to switch numbers, and retire the number 12 and put us up there :)
Just a thought...

fetajr
05-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I Vote no Robinson for wall of honour... it would then start turning into a "wall of players that played more than 20 games for TFC"

222Westside
05-19-2010, 10:17 AM
LOL Thanks guys I needed a laugh this morning! :) Robinson on the wall of honour. hahaha

Technorgasm
05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Love Robbo and wish he had never left. Wall of honour - No.

He plays for the enemy. . . with our luck he would assist or score against us on teh day we gave him teh honour. . . .

Retiree's only !@

if you left in a red shirt. . you MIGHT have a chance !

I Vote BORIS FOR WALL OF HONOUR!!!

. . . . . . .

LittleOzzy
05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
The whole "wall of honour" thing is a joke.

The franchise is still in it's infancy yet we already have two people up on the wall. Some franchises go 20 years before honouring anyone, yet TFC feels the need to shine the spotlight on two players already?

Raptors, 15 year history, no honours or retired numbers.

Blue Jays, over 30 year history, 9 people honoured, 1 retired number

TFC, 4 year history, 2 people honoured.

It doesn't add up, and really cheapens the honour in my opinion.

Tyzer
05-19-2010, 06:59 PM
It's only as important as we make it?

These people are still with the team so if your going to start something and you want to market the team and MLS as established even only 4 years in,
then why not!
Act BIG until you are BIG :)
I don't think they should touch it again until another 4 years.

rocker
05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
I think Dichio is definitely worthy. I mean the fans sing his name in the 24th minute home and away. I think that suggests he's a player worthy of honouring at this point. I've never heard of such a thing in MLS before.

I don't hear Blue Jays fans or Leafs fans or Raptor fans doing anything of the sort for any current or retired players. Dichio struck a chord and is probably already honoured by the 24th minute chant. But if you believe in an honour roll at all, then Dichio qualifies.

The Raptors haven't honoured anybody because every guy who achieves success ends up angering fans and leaving. hahaha.

Batman
05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
The whole "wall of honour" thing is a joke.

The franchise is still in it's infancy yet we already have two people up on the wall. Some franchises go 20 years before honouring anyone, yet TFC feels the need to shine the spotlight on two players already?

Raptors, 15 year history, no honours or retired numbers.

Blue Jays, over 30 year history, 9 people honoured, 1 retired number

TFC, 4 year history, 2 people honoured.

It doesn't add up, and really cheapens the honour in my opinion.

Perfectly said. I actually even thinks it cheapens it for the 2 who've been honoured. Even they probably would have appreciated it more if they'd waited 5 or 6 more years.