PDA

View Full Version : Why are so many games so early in the day at BMO Field?

LesH
05-17-2010, 09:50 AM
The coming Saturday the game is at 1 PM.

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games scheduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

Who decides the time start of the games at home, just the home club, or the visitors have to say something in it to?
If only home side decides the start, than TFC's FO is freaking gay in it's programming of the start of games. :facepalm:

What's your opinion about this?

Yeoman
05-17-2010, 09:52 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8ZI8gBoHQRs/Snev9KzNUXI/AAAAAAAAAbs/jeKP9Hgkg1c/s400/ist2_157024-spilled-milk.jpg

ACSertL
Well this weekend is the Champions League final. I think the TFC match was originally scheduled for 4pm but in the interest of those that would be watching the finals (myself included) they pushed up the time.

The other matches I can't speak to.

Suds

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games sceduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

Who decides the time start of the games at home, just the home club, or the visitors have to say something in it to?
If only home side decides the start, than TFC's FO is freaking gay in it's programming of the start of games. :facepalm:

The May 22nd game was moved to an earlier time because the original time conflicted with the Champions League final on that same day.

ACSertL
05-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Also....

:lol: at "freaking gay"

mlsintoronto
05-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games sceduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

There is always a reason.

Just as there is a reason why I am freaking gay.

flatpicker
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
^ you always seemed like a pretty happy guy Paul

LesH
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
The May 22nd game was moved to an earlier time because the original time conflicted with the Champions League final on that same day.

I know about the Champ's League Final, but why they couldn't move it instead down in the day, like 7 or 7.30 PM?
4-7 hours of extra rest counts a lot when between TFC's matches are only 2 days of rest, plus a very long travel across 3 time zones.

Eastend
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM

TV, MLS FO (really gay), home team, away team (maybe).....did I mention TV?

Yeoman
05-17-2010, 10:03 AM
I know about the Champ's League Final, but why they couldn't move it instead down in the day, like 7 or 7.30 PM?
4-7 hours of extra rest counts a lot when between TFC's matches are only 2 days of rest, plus a very long travel across 3 time zones.

no offence; but do you really want to watch the champions league final, and then watch tfc?
makes the quality of play, that much crappier.

Boondaddy
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM

LOL. Let's get freaky!!

Suds
05-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Really ... you have no idea why that could be an issue???

Broadcasting.

It's not like TFC can just call up Sportsnet or CBC and say - hey guys, we're moving the game, so can you change your schedule for us? Oh, playoff hockey?? who cares ... we're TFC change put us in that time slot

Boondaddy
05-17-2010, 10:08 AM

I, for one, love it. It gives me my Saturday evening to do as I like (hopefully celebrating a victory).

:drinking:

eustacchio
05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
If I hadn't seen this thread, I may have shown up to BMO at 4.

LesH
05-17-2010, 10:11 AM

lol, you can send me a beer here, in New Jersey, or wait when (hopefully) I go once a year to Toronto.

Carts
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM

There's been two threads about this already - also articles in news of the day section...

Also, a long discussion about it - as pressure from fans was one of the reasons for the move (to watch Champions League Final)...

Plus, TFC will e-mail us all a reminder about the game time later this week...

Carts...

Billy the kid
05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I like watching games in prime time, but I recognize competition for viewers is tough.

menefreghista

Except October-April no games scheduled at BMO Field should be earlier than 5 PM (this excepted period only to try to get some warmth from the sun...), plus ALL games scheduled between mid June -August should begin at 7 PM or 7.30 PM.

Personally, I would love to have Saturday evening games.

As for why the games are so early? Blame the CBC. They dictate the start times for the Saturday games they broadcast. For example, the game at noon in July is the lead in to the World Cup 3rd place match.

As for this Saturday, I really wished TFC and CBC didn`t make such a half assed effort with the game time change. Should have moved the time to either noon or at night. The 1pm kick off still conflicts with the Champions League. Stupid move, imo. It still pisses me off that the club tries to pass this off as doing it for the fans yet they still can`t get it right. Both the 1pm or 4pm start times conflict. If you are going to go to the trouble of changing the time, do it right.

The funny thing is that CBC is showing the Flyers v Canadiens this Saturday at 3pm. So the game would probably have been moved anyways, just last minute.

Brooker
It is a little odd when you figure we're the only team in the entire league that basically plays every Saturday game in the afternoon.

ilikemusic
05-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Professional sports should never start before 3pm.

I hate having to get moving to a sporting event at 10:30 or 11 am.

Whoop
05-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I like watching games in prime time, but I recognize competition for viewers is tough.

Exactly what I was going to say. Especially during hockey season.

LesH
05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
It is a little odd when you figure we're the only team in the entire league that basically plays every Saturday game in the afternoon.

Exactly.

Suds
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Personally, I would love to have Saturday evening games.

As for why the games are so early? Blame the CBC. They dictate the start times for the Saturday games they broadcast. For example, the game at noon in July is the lead in to the World Cup 3rd place match.

As for this Saturday, I really wished TFC and CBC didn`t make such a half assed effort with the game time change. Should have moved the time to either noon or at night. The 1pm kick off still conflicts with the Champions League. Stupid move, imo. It still pisses me off that the club tries to pass this off as doing it for the fans yet they still can`t get it right. Both the 1pm or 4pm start times conflict. If you are going to go to the trouble of changing the time, do it right.

The funny thing is that CBC is showing the Flyers v Canadiens this Saturday at 3pm. So the game would probably have been moved anyways, just last minute.

+ 1 on some additional Saturday evening games. Not every Saturday, but I would like 2 or 3 more during the summer months.

tfcleeds
05-17-2010, 10:18 AM
I think enough reasons have been given for the early start times, but that aside, I honestly don't mind it. With midweek games, we have enough evening fixtures as it is. Nothing like a sunny day, an ice cold beer, and watching TFC. Plus it leaves the evening free to do other things.

Brooker
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
lol... I'm glad I sold my tickets for this game. 1pm kickoffs mean bed at 6pm. :drinking::drinking::drinking:

eustacchio
05-17-2010, 10:26 AM
There's been two threads about this already - also articles in news of the day section...

Also, a long discussion about it - as pressure from fans was one of the reasons for the move (to watch Champions League Final)...

Plus, TFC will e-mail us all a reminder about the game time later this week...

Carts...

I figured I'd missed it (in several other places), and I'm sure I would have seen it some where before Saturday.

mdc 77
05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
If I remember correctly the 3/4pm start times were the outcome of a poll on the clubs website. Personally I love the 3pm start times and hope things remain this way in the future.

LesH
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
WOW, from the posts until now it seems nobody cares that in hot summer days the quality of play usually suffers because of the heat, unless games are played in the evening...

Mango Kid
05-17-2010, 10:47 AM
If I recall - and Paul can confirm - back in the early days, there was a poll running at the TFC site for start times and 3pm starts were the runaway winner over evening games, or earlier starts for that matter.

dupont
05-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I hate the early start times too but I really doubt it's because the front office is being gay.
Everyone knows that gay people party later in the evening.

Mango Kid
05-17-2010, 10:48 AM
If I remember correctly the 3/4pm start times were the outcome of a poll on the clubs website. Personally I love the 3pm start times and hope things remain this way in the future.

My bad...just saw this.

Like you, I like the 3pm, but wouldn't mind a game a month at night. Definitely not a fan of the 1pm start, especially if it were June/July/August when it is smoking hot at that time.

flatpicker
05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
I hate the early start times too but I really doubt it's because the front office is being gay.
Everyone knows that gay people party later in the evening.

RAEo3EmIytY

Darlofletch
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
lol... I'm glad I sold my tickets for this game. 1pm kickoffs mean bed at 6pm. :drinking::drinking::drinking:

That's my problem with 1 pm start as well. damn eurosnobs messing with my drinking habits. damn FO giving in to their selfish demands.

4pm start times work great for me, I don't consider that an early start at all, it allows for a lazy morning, then really sets up a good saturday.

quality of play is important, I apologise lesh for not being as concerned as you are, truly you are a purist and a hero, but let's face it, if that was the most important thing, i wouldn't be watching MLS.

Hitcho
05-17-2010, 10:59 AM
lol, you can send me a beer here, in New Jersey, or wait when (hopefully) I go once a year to Toronto.

Er, then what are you so upset about?! You won't even be coming to the games dude. PVR the match and watch it whenever you want. :facepalm:

TFC Via Buffalo
05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't care wither way. I either wake up way early to get to games or I loose most of my Saturday night with getting back. I'm screwed wither way.

I'm just glad we aren't doing the tailgate or I'd be on the road at like 7:00am.

AL-MO
05-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I like a nice mix of times myself. And I don't mind this weekend @ 1:00 PM.

There is a very important game after I'd like to watch.

Darlofletch
05-17-2010, 11:06 AM

Er, then what are you so upset about?! You won't even be coming to the games dude. PVR the match and watch it whenever you want. :facepalm:

I think his point is that it affects the quality of play, tired players in the hot sun, this saturday specifically we haven't had enough rest.

Which makes sense if he only gets to watch on tv, the rest of the experience doesn't matter to him as much.

Oldtimer
05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
If I recall - and Paul can confirm - back in the early days, there was a poll running at the TFC site for start times and 3pm starts were the runaway winner over evening games, or earlier starts for that matter.

True, If you ran the same poll today, you'd get the same results.

The #2 choice was 3PM for most of the year, with night games in July and August.

Advantage of day games for ML$E -- more beer sales!

hmmm maybe time for a poll to confirm this. I'll post one.

MUFC_Niagara
05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
early games work better for me. i get home earlier.

Oldtimer
05-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Poll here:

http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=22633

dag
05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
What upsets me is the bad weather we've been experiencing. The forecast is for thunderstorms this Saturday!

:mad5:

TFC Cityboy
05-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Well this weekend is the Champions League final. I think the TFC match was originally scheduled for 4pm but in the interest of those that would be watching the finals (myself included) they pushed up the time.

The other matches I can't speak to.

ah yes, but TFC failed to take into account the Mississauga International Tournament. 4pm would be easier for me, but 1pm will be smack bang in the middle of my lad's games.

Typical MLSE ;)

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
haha should of read up the thread seems its all ready mentioned....;)

I remember there being a poll at the TFC site...prior to season one....regarding what time would fans prefer TFC home games...

I believe the 4pm start time was the winner!

I'm sure if such a poll was posted again...Night games would win hands down!..

90% of all other MLS team games are at night...we seem to be the only team that does not prefer this time slot!...not sure why...

Maybe PAUL could answer that that?

boban
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
What's odd is that more league games are not on Saturday afternoons. I find these games to be the best time to watch.
And in Europe the crux of the games are on weekends in the mid to late afternoon time slot.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I like the consistency. I like the 1pm because not much else has that time slot. The heat is hot. Hot for me. Hot for the team. Hot for the other team. Summer is hot. Right now it's not.

Is this really the first thread to talk about this?

TFC Cityboy
05-17-2010, 01:30 PM
90% of all other MLS team games are at night...we seem to be the only team that does not prefer this time slot!...not sure why...

Maybe PAUL could answer that that?

It's likely to do with CBC coverage. I doubt we have the viewership for primetime, and we'd not even be an option in NHL season.
3.30/4pm is a good timeslot for CBC season-long.

DichioTFC
05-17-2010, 01:40 PM

So whats the reason PB? :D

LesH
05-17-2010, 03:24 PM
ah yes, but the FIFA failed to take into account the Mississauga International Tournament when programming the Champion's League Final. 4pm would be easier for me, but 1pm will be smack bang in the middle of my lad's games.

Typical FIFA ;)

There you have it. I corrected it for you. :D

T.O TILL I DIE
05-17-2010, 03:45 PM
WOW, from the posts until now it seems nobody cares that in hot summer days the quality of play usually suffers because of the heat, unless games are played in the evening...

i love hot days at BMO fan support seems louder on days like that:drum:

Hitcho
05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
I think his point is that it affects the quality of play, tired players in the hot sun, this saturday specifically we haven't had enough rest.

Which makes sense if he only gets to watch on tv, the rest of the experience doesn't matter to him as much.

Meh. Every club complains about this at some point, or Ferguson complains about it weekly all season long at MUFC. There's no ideal solution for every team to get optimum start times, and those all conflict anyway, especially in Namerica with the travel distances and time zones. So one fan's preference is another fan's complaint.

I mean, I agree with the point in principle, but this is old rope for just about every major sports league everywhere I think. There's always a reason WHY a game is moved, usually money related in some way (or to avoid drunken fights between fans), the teams just have to roll with the punches.

Anyway, like we've seen already in here and the poll thread, there's a pretty even split among fans as to preferred start times so there's not even unison there.

SilverSamurai
05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
It's likely to do with CBC coverage. I doubt we have the viewership for primetime, and we'd not even be an option in NHL season.
3.30/4pm is a good timeslot for CBC season-long.
Bingo. That's the reason.
Even though soccer has more participants, as far as TV goes, hockey is still king.
Sure theirs the CL game, but I don't see how it would have hockey numbers, especially since their is still a Canadian team in it, which means more numbers here.

prizby
05-17-2010, 10:02 PM
if it hasn't been said yet, simple answer is TV contract