PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,May 17

denime
05-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Mornin'

TFC making MLS inroads (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tfc-making-mls-inroads/article1570705/)

They're gellin' (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/05/16/johnston_blog/)

Governance of Canadian soccer about to change (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2010/05/governance-of-canadian-soccer-about-to-change.html)

Letting Joe Blow tear up BMO Field grass is a dumb move_ (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/16/13969281.html) :facepalm:

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Menelaos
05-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Morning

Wagner
05-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Wheeler is a dumbass...
doesn't he know that BMO has a very strict cancellation policy in place to protect the grass...
if the moon is too bright, or if there is a millimetre too much of moisture, they can't shut down a user group.

<cue BMO/TFC staff to look into his permit>

Wheeler can't get his facts straight when reporting...how can we be sure that he'll respect our pitch?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-17-2010, 06:41 AM
wasnt aware that BMO is still going to be a public used facility...that is madness.

nascarguy
05-17-2010, 07:40 AM
yeah the keeper area is all ready fucked up as it is. tfc when will you smart up

pekduck
05-17-2010, 07:51 AM
the sooner the public use is out of BMO the better it is.. end of story

Cashcleaner
05-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Guys, guys, guys. The public PAID for most of BMO Field. Unless MLSE is ready to cut a cheque to the city and province, it will remain open for use outside Toronto FC matches. I agree its a bit of a shitty situation we're in with the stadium, but not much can be done about it. Hopefully, a deal might be reached with the new training facility that would see the amount of public traffic at BMO Field lessened.

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Wheeler is a dumbass...
doesn't he know that BMO has a very strict cancellation policy in place to protect the grass...
if the moon is too bright, or if there is a millimetre too much of moisture, they can't shut down a user group.

<cue BMO/TFC staff to look into his permit>

Wheeler can't get his facts straight when reporting...how can we be sure that he'll respect our pitch?

Really? I thought that was the best article he's put out... that I've read anyway.

In fact, he couldn't be more spot on.

There is no way public-use of the facility ever was, or still is a good idea. Keeping the new grass as healthy as possible should be the priority. TFC only trains there one day a week before home games, instead practising out of the city, often times on turf. And for what? So the citizens of Toronto can carve up BMO Field?
It’s an absolute disgrace. The current arrangement is bush league and has to change.
If high-level games, like the final of the Robbie tournament is played at BMO Field, then so be it. It’s understandable and has caché, but glorified beer leagues and social set-ups have no place.

There's no way we just spent what, $3m? on this new grass??? and we're letting community use tear it to shreds? Fan fucking tastic.

pekduck
05-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Guys, guys, guys. The public PAID for most of BMO Field. Unless MLSE is ready to cut a cheque to the city and province, it will remain open for use outside Toronto FC matches. I agree its a bit of a shitty situation we're in with the stadium, but not much can be done about it. Hopefully, a deal might be reached with the new training facility that would see the amount of public traffic at BMO Field lessened.

paying for a facility doesn't get the entitlement to destroy it :D

hence.. sooner public is off the premises, better it will... albeit... not overnight.

drewski
05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
gov's chip in a lot for all stadiums but SkyDome and the ACC doesn't see as much public use?

I thought part of the whole grass deal was that the public use was gonna be moved to another stadium

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 08:09 AM
gov's chip in a lot for all stadiums but SkyDome and the ACC doesn't see as much public use?

I thought part of the whole grass deal was that the public use was gonna be moved to another stadium

I remember Lamport's new turf was supposed to be something along those lines, no? Wasn't it supposed to double in usage as well to help take the load off BMO?

brad
05-17-2010, 08:15 AM
I was pretty suprised last week when my friend told me his TCSSC team was playing at BMO.

I think part of the problem with shifting community use to TFC's training center (if it gets built) is that it's not downtown. There was opposition to this when it was originally proposed for exactly that reason.

drewski
05-17-2010, 08:17 AM
seems it might have been intended to "reduce" (not eliminate) public use of BMO

http://www.thestar.com/mls/torontofc/article/702852

Under the three-pronged proposal, which would be completely funded by MLSE, grass would be installed at city-owned BMO Field for $3.5 million, $1.2 million would be spent to put a bubble over Lamport Stadium for year-round public use and an artificial turf field would be built at Lakeshore Collegiate Institute for $800,000.

In the proposal, MLSE said despite the reduction in community use at BMO Field, the plan for Lamport and Lakeshore CI would lead to a 36 per cent increase in public access for everything from exercise classes to youth soccer.

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM
seems it might have been intended to "reduce" (not eliminate) public use of BMO

http://www.thestar.com/mls/torontofc/article/702852

I remember Lamport's new turf was supposed to be something along those lines, no? Wasn't it supposed to double in usage as well to help take the load off BMO?

Damn I was pretty close. 36% isn't bad, but I bet that's probably mostly due to Lamport taking basically the full load over the winter that it never used to do.

tfcleeds
05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
For all his hand-wringing over public usage of BMO, I don't suspect Wheeler will be dropping out of his pub league match or whatever it is.

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 08:24 AM
^^ No of course not, but he said he'd be leaving his six studs at home LOL.

To be fair, I wouldn't stop playing at BMO either, not after dropping probably $150 or whatever that fucking rip off of a league is charging these days.

Fort York Redcoat
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
A minimum of three qualified Directors of each gender.

3 out of 6 Directors across Canada have to be qualified. Shoot for the moon already. The other 3 can still be nepotism. Awesome.

drewski
05-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Zac Herold forced to retire via PB, Sharman and wileman on twitter

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=1027436#post1027436

jabbronies
05-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Zachary Herold Retires Due to Heart Condition (http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2010/05/17/zachary-herold-retires-due-to-heart-condition/)

Retirements are often a time of reflection on a professional’s long and storied career. It is rare the word “retirement” is attached to a player at such a young age, but such is the case with Toronto FC defender Zachary Herold. The club announced Monday that the 17 year old Generation Adidas product has had to retire from the game of soccer.

Herold suffers from the condition Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) – which causes abnormal thickening of a part of the heart muscle. With this condition, under strenuous exercise, there is a risk of developing a potentially fatal irregular heart rhythm, or arrhythmia. Unfortunately the only way to reduce this risk is to put significant life-long restrictions on exercise.

Read More (http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2010/05/17/zachary-herold-retires-due-to-heart-condition/)

Whoop
05-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I, too, thought with the new grass, the public use would be out and moved to Lamport. I guess it's just reduced. I didn't realize TSSC had so much pull.

And I agree with Shags, despite his Columbus column from last year, his columns have been pretty decent lately.

DreFuss
05-17-2010, 08:59 AM
What Wheeler is arguing in the article is dead on. Even though I'd love to play on that field doesn't mean that I should or that I will.

Is it just the TCSSC or multiple leagues playing on BMO?

brad
05-17-2010, 09:03 AM
I, too, thought with the new grass, the public use would be out and moved to Lamport. I guess it's just reduced. I didn't realize TSSC had so much pull.

Probably has nothing to do with pull. There is still community use on the books, I imagine they just rented it.

Wooster_TFC
05-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Didn't the Lakeshore Collegiate deal fall through? Joey Pants didn't want the community use moved outside of the Toronto area (and LCI is in Etobicoke, technically still GTA but I'm sure that doesn't count).

I'm fairly certain that the LCI deal was also to build a practice facility there.

Cashcleaner
05-17-2010, 09:19 AM
paying for a facility doesn't get the entitlement to destroy it :D

hence.. sooner public is off the premises, better it will... albeit... not overnight.

Yes...and people could make the same complaint about Toronto FC and their MLS opponents tearing it all up as well.

We have a misplace sense of entitlement here. There wouldn't even be a stadium if the feds, city, and province didn't chip in $45 million.

Carts
05-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Wheeler is bang on...

Great article that should at least make the rounds at MLSE in regards to the pitch, its who's using it, and its condition...

Cash is also right - the city paid for the stadium so they're trying to generate revenue still. Do I agree with that? NO. But is it the case? YES...

Hopefully Wheeler's article opens some eyes and they rethink "who" rents the pitch. As Wheeler mentions a proper full pitch 11v11 for the Robbie final, or the OFSA final etc etc is one thing - three games of beer league at once is another...

Carts...

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Yes...and people could make the same complaint about Toronto FC and their MLS opponents tearing it all up as well.

We have a misplace sense of entitlement here. There wouldn't even be a stadium if the feds, city, and province didn't chip in $45 million.

It's the fucking home field for a professional football club and the home stadium of our NATIONAL team. There is no misplaced sense of entitlement.

We knew there would be community usage going into it, but all along fans, players and even the FO have said they need to remove that option down the road.

... and FYI, I can't think of a single stadium/arena that doesn't have a large chunk of city/provincial/state/federal funding in some way shape or form.

The biggest mistake they made was doubting TFC's popularity and agreeing to 'too much' community use IMO.

Oldtimer
05-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Some important news about SUM setting up a Canadian branch:

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article.preview&articleid=65743

In the wake of MLS’s announcement that it will add a third Canadian team in Montreal, Soccer United Marketing has begun finalizing plans to support the Canadian clubs. SUM, MLS’s marketing agency, plans to open an office in Canada that will sell MLS intellectual property rights

This could add $$$

Cashcleaner
05-17-2010, 09:45 AM
It's the fucking home field for a professional football club and the home stadium of our NATIONAL team. There is no misplaced sense of entitlement.

There is if you think all those points will magically negate the fact that none of those organizations fronted even a quarter of the total cost.

We knew there would be community usage going into it, but all along fans, players and even the FO have said they need to remove that option down the road.Yes we did. And hopefully that plan works out.

... and FYI, I can't think of a single stadium/arena that doesn't have a large chunk of city/provincial/state/federal funding in some way shape or form.I can. Though I agree it happens far too often. The one good thing about all this is that the city is likely making good money through its profit-sharing deal.

The biggest mistake they made was doubting TFC's popularity and agreeing to 'too much' community use IMO.For sure.

James17930
05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I can't fucking believe there's still TCSSC shit happening at BMO. When they said 'reduced community use,' I thought they meant high school finals, or something.

Wheeler's right -- this absolutely fucking pathetic, and not what we were led to believe.

scooter
05-17-2010, 10:08 AM
mornin d

keem-o-sabi
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
man that sucks, I thought they said it would be used on a very limited basis when they put in the grass. Guess we better have very good grounds crew on staff now!

Coed Ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/15/miss-coed-caitlin-mackinnon/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/17/miss-coed-hanina-love-2/) (1 is a canuck lass and what ssg's should look like)

edmundo
05-17-2010, 10:20 AM
just read this, and all that comes to mind is canada playing on montreals torn up pitch in 2008

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/16/13969281.html

menefreghista
05-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Montreal`s pitch was torn up because it wasn`t ready. Not because of public use.

MartinUtd
05-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Wow... that's ridiculous.

edmundo
05-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Montreal`s pitch was torn up because it wasn`t ready. Not because of public use.

regardless there shouldn't be any more public use, thought that was the whole point of putting the bubble on lamport

redcard
05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Didn't the Lakeshore Collegiate deal fall through? Joey Pants didn't want the community use moved outside of the Toronto area (and LCI is in Etobicoke, technically still GTA but I'm sure that doesn't count).

I'm fairly certain that the LCI deal was also to build a practice facility there.

Etobicoke is not the GTA its Toronto, technically there is no more Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough or York.

Pantalone didnt want the community use to be moved away from the surrounding area of BMO. The new facility has to serve that area around Exhibition Place.

denime
05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
It is in Today's news already,and it beaing dscused there.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22623

MERGED

markus
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

if montreal's pitch wasn't torn because of public use...then BMO field's gone be...sooner of later...
and to help that maybe TFC should start practise on it, more than once a week?....:facepalm:

Yagbod
05-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Slight change of subject: Can anyone recommend a good daily newspaper (real paper, in your actual hands) for TFC news?

I am about to cancel the Toronto Star. Their TFC coverage is non-existent; an afterthought at best.

denime
05-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Buy iPad log on Today's News at RPB and you have something to hold in your hands and good TFC coverage. :D

http://i43.tinypic.com/2ntzcx2.png

Oldtimer
05-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Slight change of subject: Can anyone recommend a good daily newspaper (real paper, in your actual hands) for TFC news?

I am about to cancel the Toronto Star. Their TFC coverage is non-existent; an afterthought at best.

The Globe is the best.

AL-MO
05-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I can't believe what I am reading regarding public use @ BMO. Especially to beer league groups like TCSSC (as Wheeler mentioned). I can see high school finals, collegiate finals but not crap like this.

I run adult rec leagues at another facility and there is no way the hacks from my league should ever get a sniff of BMO. (nor should anyone else)

Sonny Cheeba
05-17-2010, 11:29 AM
that SSG looks like Toronto's finest WWE star Edge has an ugly ass little sister.

"single lady" it says..... not the best way to look for a date there dolly.

J .
05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Public use at BMO is horrible, for flares sakes... Wheeler got it right.

Whoop
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I can't believe what I am reading regarding public use @ BMO. Especially to beer league groups like TCSSC (as Wheeler mentioned). I can see high school finals, collegiate finals but not crap like this.

I run adult rec leagues at another facility and there is no way the hacks from my league should ever get a sniff of BMO. (nor should anyone else)

That's why I wonder if the TSSC has some sort of pull...

Public use at BMO is horrible, for flares sakes... Wheeler got it right.

For flares sakes... LOL

TFCRegina
05-17-2010, 06:25 PM
The SSG was a total:facepalm:

shutupkid
05-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Bummer about Zac

Cashcleaner
05-17-2010, 08:36 PM

It sucks, but the Toronto Sun has pretty good coverage for TFC. You should throw out the rest of the paper, though.

Auzzy
05-17-2010, 10:14 PM

I don't know: I find TFC & all footy coverage to be extremely spotty & random in all the Canadian papers. Every paper has some good TFC articles occasionally; every paper has some total crap, or completely fails to report about important events.

I still get the Star for other reasons; I get my TFC news from news.google.ca or from this board. That also gets me the occasional interesting piece from cbc.ca, sportsnet.ca, and a bunch of other sources. On the other hand, some of the online things (like the Paul James blog) aren't in the print editions anyway.

Whoop
05-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Cash is right though. The Sun has really ramped up it's coverage of TFC this year. There's almost an article a day in the Sun about TFC, usually 3 after a TFC home match.

That's unparalleled in recent years.

The Sun is also pretty good for it's WC coverage, though Stephen Brunt from the Globe will likely be the best one to follow during the WC.

rocker
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
The SSG was a total:facepalm:

i think you mean :picard::picard::shocked::yikes:

ExiledRed
05-19-2010, 10:34 PM

Im the public, I paid for a soccer stadium to watch soccer in and for a team that pays on well maintained grass.

Why does the fact that I paid for this stadium, justify its abuse?

Cashcleaner
05-20-2010, 07:57 AM
^ You're not ALL the public though. You paid for..... geeze, I dunno....... maybe 0.000000002% of the total cost through taxes.

That figure is taken right outta my ass, but you get what I'm saying.

Hey, I'm all for having BMO Field used exclusively by Toronto FC (and maybe the national team), so lets get a plan together that involves either paying back the gov't or building an alternate facility specifically for community use. Now those are two very simple solutions to the situation are they not?

ExiledRed
05-20-2010, 09:24 AM
^ You're not ALL the public though. You paid for..... geeze, I dunno....... maybe 0.000000002% of the total cost through taxes.

That figure is taken right outta my ass, but you get what I'm saying.

Hey, I'm all for having BMO Field used exclusively by Toronto FC (and maybe the national team), so lets get a plan together that involves either paying back the gov't or building an alternate facility specifically for community use. Now those are two very simple solutions to the situation are they not?

I get what you're saying, but you're handling my assertion incorrectly. 'me' represents a fuckload of people if you ask me.

Every SSH, everybody who attends matches even occassionally, everybody who benefits from the increase in trade that Toronto FC has bought to the area, everybody who has found taxable employment with TFC or BMO field, everybody who enjoys the games on TV and has never been to the stadium, everybody who's benefitted from TFC's activity in the community, everybody who uses the new training facilities built and paid for by MLSE to prevent abuse of the grass pitch, everybody who as an active interest in TFC academy and the youth development that goes with it........

paid for this stadium and deserves to see it respected and well maintained for its actual purpose. You paid too, Cash, right?

As for the fact that everybody on my list, still does not represent ALL of the public, the people abusing the stadium outside TFC games don't either, and also, I paid for the opera house, museum extension and art gallery too, I never use those facilities.

I'll bet the annual number of Ontarion people attending opera or the art gallery doesnt come close to the number of people benefitting from TFC's existence right now.