PDA

View Full Version : S. Neely on Academy Prospects.

Dub Narcotic
05-16-2010, 12:27 AM
For those who did not hear the 24th Minute pod w/ Stuart Neely, he singled out the senior academy team players who he thought had senior team potential:

Doniel Henry CB
Allando Matheson F
Matt Stinson CM

Might have missed one. Matheson seems to be the name that comes up most often. What happened to Johnathan Lao?

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-16-2010, 12:35 AM
He mentioned Josh Janniere too. Matheson would have been a good fit tonight, could have used his power and pass as a sub for Barrett. Strangely, I don't think Matheson has played for the academy team in either of their CSL games this year. Maybe that means he's on his way to the senior squad? I've also seen it suggested that he might be going to UCONN.

As for Lao, I'm not sure. I know TFC is being strict with the arbitrary age classifications (U16, U18), he might have simply outgrown the team. The senior team roster doesn't list him, but it does list a player named Lao, Lao.

Dub Narcotic
05-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Might as well cut Ibrahim if they are not going to play him and get Matheson on the team (might take a non-GA cap hit, though). It would also be a big recruiting signal to the best youth players in TO that there is a path to MLS through the academy.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-16-2010, 01:47 AM
^ I agree. Matheson could have chased the ball down tonight better than Nane did. I'd like to see them sign someone this season. The problem with the academy setup is that the player gets to U18 team and then there's nothing for them after that. The obvious solution, to me at least, is to integrate and a reserve team into the academy setup.

Back to Ibrahim, I think he's probably tradable within the league. If the team's going to add anyone, from the academy or otherwise, there going to have to make a move or two, and after tonight, it's apparent management have no faith in Ibrahim.

ren989
05-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Might as well cut Ibrahim if they are not going to play him and get Matheson on the team (might take a non-GA cap hit, though). It would also be a big recruiting signal to the best youth players in TO that there is a path to MLS through the academy.

Didn't they implement a new rule where you can sign two academy players who wouldn't count against the cap?

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 10:40 AM
^ I agree. Matheson could have chased the ball down tonight better than Nane did. I'd like to see them sign someone this season. The problem with the academy setup is that the player gets to U18 team and then there's nothing for them after that. The obvious solution, to me at least, is to integrate and a reserve team into the academy setup.

Back to Ibrahim, I think he's probably tradable within the league. If the team's going to add anyone, from the academy or otherwise, there going to have to make a move or two, and after tonight, it's apparent management have no faith in Ibrahim.

Another solution is loan overage Academy players to teams in the CSL. If TFC doesn't want to recall them, the loan can expire and the player can become a free transfer.

I don't think Ibrahim has any trade value. He has completely disappeared, he's not even on the US U-20 squad that's in the Netherlands this week.

T_Mizz
05-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Didn't they implement a new rule where you can sign two academy players who wouldn't count against the cap?

Yes they did from what I heard, also I believe you can sign two additional players to GA contracts.

He mentioned Josh Janniere too. Matheson would have been a good fit tonight, could have used his power and pass as a sub for Barrett. Strangely, I don't think Matheson has played for the academy team in either of their CSL games this year. Maybe that means he's on his way to the senior squad? I've also seen it suggested that he might be going to UCONN.

As for Lao, I'm not sure. I know TFC is being strict with the arbitrary age classifications (U16, U18), he might have simply outgrown the team. The senior team roster doesn't list him, but it does list a player named Lao, Lao.

Lao was born in 1993 so that means the oldest he could be is 17 but he could be 16 still. I think maybe Neely was talking about maybe near future prospects, Lao's still got another 2 seasons with the senior team I think, but considering he played with the senior team last season as a 15/16 year old he's got to have some potential.

adam1001
05-16-2010, 11:20 AM
wow i played with these guys a few years ago. stinson is gonna go far for sure. id also keep an eye on brennan mcnicoll. The academy has got to provide better initiatives to keep kids around though. a lot of great players have left to academies overseas.

ag futbol
05-16-2010, 05:45 PM
^ Yes that continues to be a problem MLS can't wrap their head around. Headline on the league homepage a month or two back "MLS sueno winner starts in River-Boca darby".

Headline in my head: you let yet another academy prospect slip through your hands by not having contracts.

adam1001
05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
yea its definately a big problem. i personally know a kid thats playing with benfica's youth team right now. hes doin very well and they expect him to break into the first team in the next few years.

mastermixer
05-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but has there been any players that have been brought up from our reserve/academy squad to make the TFC roster?

Macksam
05-16-2010, 10:34 PM
wow i played with these guys a few years ago. stinson is gonna go far for sure. id also keep an eye on brennan mcnicoll. The academy has got to provide better initiatives to keep kids around though. a lot of great players have left to academies overseas.
I only recall the Portuguese-Canadian kid who went to Portugal and now plays on their U 20 team. Were there some other ones as well?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but has there been any players that have been brought up from our reserve/academy squad to make the TFC roster?
Not yet, but next year most likely one or two.

Luca
05-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I only recall the Portuguese-Canadian kid who went to Portugal and now plays on their U 20 team. Were there some other ones as well?

Daniel Fernandes, isn't it?

As an aside, my best friend played a few years with Allando and said that, at the time, he had a terrible attitude and he was a player who thought he was "bigger than the game." I suppose that this talk of him breaking the first team is a testament to how much AM has matured over the years.

Macksam
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Daniel Fernandes, isn't it?

As an aside, my best friend played a few years with Allando and said that, at the time, he had a terrible attitude and he was a player who thought he was "bigger than the game." I suppose that this talk of him breaking the first team is a testament to how much AM has matured over the years.
The goalie? No, I think he was a defender or something.

adam1001
05-17-2010, 12:35 PM

Pretty sure your talking about ricardo ferreira. Tall kid? Your right, he has broken into the Portuguese national system. Theres been others as well. A few of the kids opted to play on university teams because the academy did not provide good initiatives. James stamopoulos comes to mind.

Shway
05-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Pretty sure your talking about ricardo ferreira. Tall kid? Your right, he has broken into the Portuguese national system. Theres been others as well. A few of the kids opted to play on university teams because the academy did not provide good initiatives. James stamopoulos comes to mind.

James Stamopoulos was on the academy team, wasnt he

J .
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM

Bah another one bites the dust and he isnt even of age to play for the CMNT.

El Diego
05-17-2010, 01:05 PM
I really don't understand all the Matt Stinson love. I mean, I feel kinda bad bringing down a kid and all that, but of the times I've seen him play I've never seen the skill, touch, vision, or passing ability required. Maybe I'm missing something but he strikes me as the prototypical player that coaches in this country fall in love with: hard working, runs a lot, athletic, but in the end overrate those things and underrate the vision and technical ability required.

I really liked Lao when I watched him play, but he is sort of the opposite of Stinson. Good quality on the ball, great delivery, but I question if he's strong enough. If only you could combine the two.

Matheson and Henry seem to have all the physical tools. My worry with Matheson is that he's been able to dominate at every level he's played based on his physical attributes. Not to say he doesn't have technical ability, the kid can strike a ball and with either foot and he makes clever runs, but I hope his ability translates to the next level. Henry is similar, he imposes himself physically at this level but the next jump is the big test. If he can no longer outmuscle and outsize everyone, does he have the ability to become a well rounded player? The promising thing is that these guys haven't looked out of place in the CSL where they play against grown men.

The last guy who caught my eye is Ashtone Morgan. Reminds me of a Royston Drenthe type. Can play anywhere on the left side, good cross, quick, clever. He seems to have the tools but we'll just have to wait and see if he can put them together.

adam1001
05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
James Stamopoulos was on the academy team, wasnt he

yea he was, but hes now playing with Hartford University

adam1001
05-17-2010, 02:29 PM
I really don't understand all the Matt Stinson love. I mean, I feel kinda bad bringing down a kid and all that, but of the times I've seen him play I've never seen the skill, touch, vision, or passing ability required. Maybe I'm missing something but he strikes me as the prototypical player that coaches in this country fall in love with: hard working, runs a lot, athletic, but in the end overrate those things and underrate the vision and technical ability required.

I really liked Lao when I watched him play, but he is sort of the opposite of Stinson. Good quality on the ball, great delivery, but I question if he's strong enough. If only you could combine the two.

Matheson and Henry seem to have all the physical tools. My worry with Matheson is that he's been able to dominate at every level he's played based on his physical attributes. Not to say he doesn't have technical ability, the kid can strike a ball and with either foot and he makes clever runs, but I hope his ability translates to the next level. Henry is similar, he imposes himself physically at this level but the next jump is the big test. If he can no longer outmuscle and outsize everyone, does he have the ability to become a well rounded player? The promising thing is that these guys haven't looked out of place in the CSL where they play against grown men.

The last guy who caught my eye is Ashtone Morgan. Reminds me of a Royston Drenthe type. Can play anywhere on the left side, good cross, quick, clever. He seems to have the tools but we'll just have to wait and see if he can put them together.

I also like what ive seen from lao. smart player and hes scored some amazing goals.

T_Mizz
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
I think Allando Matheson should be just fine with respect to your concerns, he has done well in the CSL against grown men, now the concern is whether he can use all his tools to play with the first team, i'm hoping yes.

Macksam
05-17-2010, 06:18 PM
Yeah, university is always going to be an attractive option to these players.

Yeoman
05-17-2010, 07:05 PM
from what i very briefly seen of henry, he looked rather decent.
hope to see these guys in action again on the 28th.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I was thinking of staying on Sat., does anyone know if they pushed the academy game forward to 3 pm? It's still listed as a 7 pm KO.

Red CB Toronto
05-17-2010, 07:44 PM
It is still at 7 pm, I am going back after the Champions League final, it will be a triple header of footy.

It would be great to get a good crowd out for the game, went to the game last weekend vs. Hamilton Croatia and had a good time.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
^ Sounds like it's been moved as well according the recent update on the TFC site:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/academy-back-bmo-field

Sat, May 22 4:15 p.m. Brampton Lions BMO Field

^ From the schedule in the academy section of the TFC website.

polak9pete
05-19-2010, 11:15 AM

Michael Pereira? he played for the Porto academy I believe now hes playin in the NCAA

Macksam
05-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Michael Pereira? he played for the Porto academy I believe now hes playin in the NCAA
No, it was the Ricardo Ferreira guy adam mentioned.

bgnewf
05-19-2010, 11:34 AM
The rosters for Montreal and Vancouver in D2 are I think 30 man ones. TFC has the 23 man MLS roster to choose from when playing Voyageurs Cup games, which strikes me as a little unfair.

Could TFC be allowed perhaps, especially if they lock up the cup tonight, to bring some academy kids in for the last game against Vancouver?

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
^ If transfermarkt.de is accurate Montreal has 21 players on their books and Vancouver has 26. As it stands academy players cannot play with the first team in regular matches (where people are in the stands), the rule is due to be amended in August.