PDA

View Full Version : Post Game. TFC Finally Gets the Point!

Batman
05-15-2010, 11:31 PM
big save by Frei to preserve it.

dag
05-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Fantastic! Awesome single point! I'll happily take it.

Well done, lads.

Man, this is a tough May, but it's been great so far.

Hooligan69
05-15-2010, 11:33 PM
A well earned draw on the West Coast tonight. That was certainly a nerve wracking second half though.

TFC USA
Fuck it. I feel playoffs.

But I'm sure my tune will change if we lose 2 games in a row.

Stefan Frei can cum on my girlfriend.

Oblio2
A point away, to the hottest team in the league...hell yeah!

Workie
We played hard for 90+!

This is a big step

Shakes McQueen
Thrilled with the result. TFC played a perfect away game first half, then LA predictably poured on the gas in the second half, and we bent but didn't break.

When you consider the makeshift lineup we put out there today, against the best team in the league, it's even better.

A point on the road. I'm content. And the team looked absolutely thrilled with the result too.

- Scott

Workie
05-15-2010, 11:34 PM

Stefan Frei can cum in my girlfriend.

fixed! :D

dag
A clean sheet against LA - ooh, that feels good. What a confidence booster. As Frei just said to that Sportsnet hottie, the defense is starting to gel.

Southsider
Excellent effort even though they gassed out during the second 45. Good (IMO) coaching as well.

Onward to Vancouver!

Brooker
that result feels more like a win than a draw.

now that's a fucking team!

daner90
great effort on the road tonight, have to be proud of the boys.

Gala looking good in his short time on the pitch

Gazza
05-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Attakora man o' the match. Well deserved.

I wonder what Andi Petrillo will be wearing to the beach tomorrow?

yanggoh
Incredible determination shown by our boys to get that point tonight. Not gonna lie, was predicting a blow-out when I saw our line-up today, but am very happy to be proven wrong. Bring on Vancouver!!

Workie
that result feels more like a win than a draw.

now that's a fucking team!

+1 :D

The Oz
Absolutely great game, Frei with the big save, Barrett with some great runs despite those misses. Way to take a point away from a team 7-0-1 coming into this game. Who agrees with me that Frei is going to get sold in the next year or so. I really believe he is good enough that he/'ll be gone in a year and half at the latest.

jazzy
05-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Frei LMAO, in the interview, on how far have they come.." I don't have to babysit them in the back anymore".........you go super Frei!!!!! LOL

TFCUNITED
Great game by Frei. Garcia is captain and we get a point against the best team in the league on the road. Just saying.....:D:tongue:

sully
Attakora deserves man of the match, Frei proved how valuable he is again, Barret despite not getting a goal kept up with his good form, I was a bit disappointed with Cronin though

TFC USA
fixed! :D

Fun Fact: Stefan Frei stops rapes every day. Just when a woman is about to be violated by a perverted rapist he blocks the cock from entering the vagina and shoves it to a salami slicer.

ginkster88
05-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Loveeeee itttttttttttt.

Gazza
05-15-2010, 11:39 PM
I had full confidence in us getting our first road point with Nick Garcia leading the way.

flatpicker
Oh Yeah!

yanggoh
I had full confidence in us getting our first road point with Nick Garcia leading the way.

hahahaha

TheKing7
05-15-2010, 11:40 PM
FREIFREIFREIFREIFREIFREIFREIFREIFREIFREI!!

Absolutely ecstatic with the result. Undermanned side, no JDG and we have a massive performance.

Saric was huge tonight. He plays a fantastic scrappy role, and he's put into full effect n the road.

Credit to all, especially our back four. We seemed to unravel a bit near the end, but all is understood during this current stretch.

Workie
05-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Fun Fact: Stefan Frei stops rapes every day. Just when a woman is about to be violated by a perverted rapist he blocks the cock from entering the vagina and shoves it to a salami slicer.

SUPER STEFAN FREI! Defender of Virginity!

jazzy
05-15-2010, 11:41 PM

Let's not push our luck.....the gods are with us

coxon
Some of us were talking about the Galaxy like they were Barcelona.
In MLS any team can get a result.
Any team except DC United ;)
Also....Landycakes sucked it up tonight.
USA USA USA USA. That chant always cracks me up.
Frei I love you. You too Nana.

Southsider
Fun Fact: Stefan Frei stops rapes every day. Just when a woman is about to be violated by a perverted rapist he blocks the cock from entering the vagina and shoves it into Landycakes.

Fixed, again . . . :scarf:

loconet
Nana, Cann, Frei. SOLID. Massive result. Very proud to see the team play their asses off.

TFC/Everton
05-15-2010, 11:42 PM
That game felt like the playoffs. We played like a team for 90 minutes. I didn't think we had a chance in hell tonight because of this crazy May schedule, but how wrong I was! Even Nick Garica played well!!! In the last 270 minutes of play we've given up one goal (to the wind) against chicago.

I can smell the playoffs at BMO already!!!

Hustle
Wooooooooooo! (t)

Red CB Toronto
I would have to say Super Stefan Frei was the man of the match, just on those last few saves alone. Nana was great too, gave Landycakes and Buddle no space at all for the most part.

I loved seeing Captain Garcia out there, it was a testiment to his great play of late, did not give up any chances and enjoyed a good night.

Nodoubtguy
SUPER STEFAN FREI! Defender of Virginity!

Super Stefan Frei, when he's in your legs, nothing gets by!

MFG1
gala ran his ass off too!

Davenport
05-15-2010, 11:43 PM
The lads did very well. A very good point.
Not sure if taking off all your forwards who can hold the ball is the best way to keep the ball away from your defence.....
Frei, Cann and Attakora were excellent.
Sanyang, Gala, Garcia and especially Peterson aren't good enough.
Preki is doing a good job.

pekduck
couldn't be happier with a result

Frei's post game interview is right. this team, is f..king. gelling together nicely!

TFC USA
I guess barring a total collapse Mo is safe until October.

For now I'm feeling confident about this team after a horrid start. Now New England is next in the league.

Kaz
I'm not sure how I feel about Usanov's Red. Gargan can play there but that means more Garcia, who thankfully hasn't been screwing up in ways that damage the team as badly at LB.

Wish we had had OBW out there with DeRo replacing Cronin and JDG replacing Sanyang. I think we would have won with that line up.

Good show by just about everyone today.
And fuck Frei can cum on my if he wants, that is how good he is.

TFC USA
05-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Fixed, again . . . :scarf:

Yep. That works too. :D

Bill Archer also applies here.

TFCRegina
05-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Garcia for captain! Preki for Prime Minister!

TheKing7
05-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Is anyone else in question about their sexuality?

I think I have a thing for Stefan...

DoubleUp
we still have more work to do!,defensively we have Improved leaps and bound.
I still think we need another Am,a vitti type just bit more clinical.
Great win tie for the Boys, feels like a win and right now we 're in the drivers seat.

Kudos!

:scarf::drinking:

TFCRegina

Someone should start a Facts about Frei wiki.

BayernTFC
05-15-2010, 11:46 PM
gala ran his ass off too!
He had a great left-footed feed for Barrett and his recognition of the importance of holding the ball in the attacking corner in order to waste time in the last few minutes was stellar.

loconet
I'm not sure how I feel about Usanov's Red.....

I'm surprised it has taken this long for him to see red. He's reckless...

dag
Thank the woodwork, too. LA really came close on more than one occasion. What an impressive team - and without the soap opera of a certain England player. Looked like a fair turnout as well.

Now we head to Vancouver for a mid-week match and then home next Saturday against New England. Yikes. Preki, you have my permission to rest a few starters.

Back to topic - great night. I, too, fearlessly predicted an LA victory. Perhaps these past few games represent a harbinger of the rest of the season: an increasingly confident TFC, with a decent defense, able to control the ball, and a more disciplined style of attack.

TFCwestcan
Last quarter of the game no de Guzman, no De Rosario yet we hold on for a point. So unlike the game in RSL. Good team defence, Sanyang is a beast. I noticed that Garcia seems to drift to the center, yikes! We are a bit beat up, no White , no de Guzman, no Gargan. The plus of the evening is the continued play of Gala from forgotten bit player to meaningful sub. Peterson seems invisible out there I hope he comes on...

Gazza
The play of the game was when Landycakes got hit with a red streamer as he was about to line up a corner kick in the first half. The look of disbelief on his face was priceless.

TFC fans are everywhere!

kodiakTFC
05-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Wow Frei wow. Amazing.

Davenport
05-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Garcia for captain! Preki for Prime Minister!
Let's not get carried away now !
Garcia is still very dodgy, but Preki has turned an average squad (Thanks Mo) into a team.

TFC USA
05-15-2010, 11:48 PM
We all have a thing for Stefan.

Workie
05-15-2010, 11:48 PM
To Frei!

DqR-8928R3s

Kaz
05-15-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm surprised it has taken this long for him to see red. He's reckless...

Oh he deserved it or at least a second yellow, but I dunno, I'm not sure if I like the fact he's willing to get carded like that, or if I want his bags packed and send both the Latvian club boys back to Eastern Europe.

TFCRegina
05-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Let's not get carried away now !
Garcia is still very dodgy, but Preki has turned an average squad (Thanks Mo) into a team.

I think you missed the sarcasm of my post. But Preki would be a badass PM.

KRO
05-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Barrett looked dangerous every time he got the ball.
Garcia seems to have found his position.
Gala gave the team a boost when he came him.
We didn't miss De Guzman.
DeRo had an off night and it didn't matter.
Cannana was solid again.
Frei made the saves he had to.
This team will make the playoffs.

Davenport
05-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Thank the woodwork, too. LA really came close on more than one occasion. What an impressive team - and without the soap opera of a certain England player. Looked like a fair turnout as well.

Now we head to Vancouver for a mid-week match and then home next Saturday against New England. Yikes. Preki, you have my permission to rest a few starters.

Back to topic - great night. I, too, fearlessly predicted an LA victory. Perhaps these past few games represent a harbinger of the rest of the season: an increasingly confident TFC, with a decent defense, able to control the ball, and a more disciplined style of attack.
It was a proper game in front of a decent crowd.
Donovan was poor....thank goodness.
On song he would have made the difference.

pekduck
05-15-2010, 11:52 PM
i'd say ursanov's 2nd yellow is a good foul to take one for the team to stop landycake to speed past him and have 20 yard of open space that may lead into a goal..

BayernTFC
05-15-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about Usanov's Red.
I thought that it was a worthwhile foul. If Donovan gets around him and LA ends up scoring, Usanov would have been crucified.

TFCwestcan
05-15-2010, 11:53 PM
we still have more work to do!,defensively we have Improved leaps and bound.
I still think we need another Am,a vitti type just bit more clinical.
Great win tie for the Boys, feels like a win and right now we 're in the drivers seat.

Kudos!

:scarf::drinking:

Or better yet a Guevara type who can take a decent free kick, dance around the midfield with the ball a bit.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Huge result....Points on the road are vital for playoffs..as we are a machine at home! :)

C'mon TO!

loconet
05-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Garcia enjoying a little good bye present from Landycakes? I guess wearing the armband has its benefits..

http://www.loconet.ca/gfix/LA-TOR.jpg

Davenport
I think you missed the sarcasm of my post. But Preki would be a badass PM.
I probably did....I've had a few sherbets.
He was a fine player and he's a good coach.
Not sure about PM though...Croatian's wouldn't be happy.

Workie
I like Usanov.

Scrappy and make players know if he's coming for you he coming through you.
Again that last foul was a smart one to take. (IMO)

TFCWEST
The play of the game was when Landycakes got hit with a red streamer as he was about to line up a corner kick in the first half. The look of disbelief on his face was priceless.

TFC fans are everywhere!

LOL, complete bewilderment, i think he shanked it right after that too. :scarf: I was surprised to see all those tfc fans there.

Lennon
05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Oh man .. that 2nd half was hard to watch ..

KRO
05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
The TV coverage was excellent. It actually felt like a European game. Replays were appropriate and we didn't miss any key action. Even Gerry was half decent tonight.

ArmenJBX
05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
And what about Preki eh? Jumping up and down, furious! That's the kind of winners mentality that's rubbing off on the players. Last year there is no way in hell I would have stayed so calm watching the closing moments. We were solid today. This feels like a win to me!! :D

TFCRegina
05-16-2010, 12:00 AM
And what about Preki eh? Jumping up and down, furious! That's the kind of winners mentality that's rubbing off on the players. Last year there is no way in he'll I would have stayed so calm watching the closing moments. We were solid today. This feels like a win to me!! :D

I know what you mean. The ball kept getting pumped into the box, and instead of jumping up and down and shouting: "FUCK YOU, HOLD OUT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS, IF YOU BLOW THIS..."

I sat and simply gave the finger to the computer screen and shouted, "FUCK YOU, HOLD OUT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS, IF YOU BLOW THIS..."

Davenport
The TV coverage was excellent. It actually felt like a European game. Replays were appropriate and we didn't miss any key action. Even Gerry was half decent tonight.
Again....it was a proper game.
Gerry half decent.....?
At one point he thought JDG was on the pitch !
Let's be honest....he's shite and at the best of times doesn't have a fookin clue what's going on.
No commentary and just the noise of the crowd would be better than that clown.....

TFCwestcan
The lads did very well. A very good point.
Not sure if taking off all your forwards who can hold the ball is the best way to keep the ball away from your defence.....
Frei, Cann and Attakora were excellent.
Sanyang, Gala, Garcia and especially Peterson aren't good enough.
Preki is doing a good job.

I thought Sanyang & Gala had a very good game, Garcia didn't f-up so that in itself is positive, I whole heartily agree with you on Peterson, I am hoping that he is still finding his game legs.

Gazza
05-16-2010, 12:01 AM
I can't wait to throw a TFC streamer at Landycakes during the England game!

TFCwestcan
05-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Oh man .. that 2nd half was hard to watch ..

The clock seemed to move at a snails pace, the last ten minutes in particular.

TFCRegina
05-16-2010, 12:02 AM
I can't wait to throw a TFC streamer at Landycakes during the England game!

Make sure it's Red.

Stryker
05-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Attakora, Frei and Barrett were awesome.
Gotta say I'm surprised to hear positive Garcia comments. He was was still poor he just didn't have any HUGE fuck ups. But personally seeing him get the armband made me alittle sick. It should have gone to Attakora.
Was also disappointed with the lack of hustle from Nane.
You'd expect a young fresh player to run his ass off when he gets the chance but he seemed content to trot around and go through the motions on the pitch.

That being said, happy as shit about the point as I think it'll do wonders going forward for our road form.

Lennon
05-16-2010, 12:04 AM

Seriously? He messed up on players' names like 10 times

TFCRegina
05-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Garcia enjoying a little good bye present from Landycakes? I guess wearing the armband has its benefits..

It looks like Garcia is giving Landycakes at least one in the stink...maybe more.

adam1001
05-16-2010, 12:06 AM
great first half...nerve rackingggg second half.
as soon as dero went off, they just dropped back and went into defence mode.
CanNana is working out great
Garcia didnt f*ck up
Barrett solid, shoulda buried that last chance though
Sanyang toooo many giveaways, especially in the second half
Peterson, and Nane just not good enough

BayernTFC
05-16-2010, 12:06 AM
I like Usanov.

I really like Usanov too. His enthusiasm is infectious. It's unfortunate that the midfield hasn't taken advantage of his runs up the wing. You have to be happy that the TFC defenders limited the impact that Buddle and Donovan were able to have on that game. The Galaxy's two main threats were limited to a handful of chances. I think that Usanov, Attakora and Frei are starting to look quite comfortable together. I don't think that there is anything wrong with Usanov sending a message to Buddle and Donovan that they were going to have to work really hard if they wanted to hold onto the ball. The referee did an excellent job with this match. How often do you hear that when it comes to MLS?

bimmer
05-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I know what you mean. The ball kept getting pumped into the box, and instead of jumping up and down and shouting: "FUCK YOU, HOLD OUT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS, IF YOU BLOW THIS..."

I sat and simply gave the finger to the computer screen and shouted, "FUCK YOU, HOLD OUT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS, IF YOU BLOW THIS..."

Baby steps...

Davenport
05-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I thought Sanyang & Gala had a very good game, Garcia didn't f-up so that in itself is positive, I whole heartily agree with you on Peterson, I am hoping that he is still finding his game legs.
Sanyang has loads of energy and always wants the ball but he's always hurried and his passing is shite. Gala is way above his head, Garcia......an accident waiting to happen.
Peterson is 24, plays like he's 34 and runs like he's 44.

Dub Narcotic
05-16-2010, 12:08 AM
It was a proper game in front of a decent crowd.
Donovan was poor....thank goodness.
On song he would have made the difference.

It was a good game to watch. I think Donovan was already on the plane to USMNT training camp in his mind.

boozilla
05-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I like Usanov.

He's been improving with every game and seems less nervous than Gargan. He had one decent overlapping run in the MTL game, but I don't expect much offense from him.

Davenport
05-16-2010, 12:11 AM
It was a good game to watch. I think Donovan was already on the plane to USMNT training camp in his mind.
You could be right....looked like he was staying out of trouble not to get injured.
His crosses, corners and free kicks were shite.

Dub Narcotic
05-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Sanyang has loads of energy and always wants the ball but he's always hurried and his passing is shite. Gala is way above his head, Garcia......an accident waiting to happen.

Agree with these points. Sanyang has youth on his side to improve his composure, but he makes a lot of bad giveaways. I think he can get by at this level while he improves. Gala is a NCC player, Peterson, like Sanyang, I'm willing to give some time to, although not as a starter. He is coming back from a very serious injury.

I think Saric has really calmed down and shown some quality in the last couple of games. I think I'd still rather see Sanyang as JDG's partner, but it's a lot closer than it was.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Preki basically sums it up!

"Today we have shown that we are a bunch of men on the field," he told the GOLTV Canada post-game show. "We were strong, we were a unit and we defended as a group. I was really proud of our team because they are showing tremendous commitment to the group and each other. We now have a group of guys who understand what it takes to play as a team and to get results."

"I am disappointed that we didn't win because I think we had the best chances and I thought we were the better team. We defended like men, we played like men. Every single guy that stepped on the field gave everything out there."

BayernTFC
05-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Sanyang has loads of energy and always wants the ball but he's always hurried and his passing is shite.
Agreed. The midfield needs to work on not giving up the ball so easily.

KRO
Seriously? He messed up on players' names like 10 times

I said 'half' decent didn't I? everything is relative.

TFCRegina
With the number of americans on our team, I personally chalk up our win to the unnecessary but highly amusing U.S.A chants...or is it U S Eh!

ParadymeTFC
05-16-2010, 12:17 AM

You are talking about the Gala that came on at the end and held up the ball in the opposite end for a good 2 minutes with 2-3 players covering him, right?

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Great game, fantastic effort. Saric looked good, as did Cann and Attakora. I though Gala looked strong coming on. Not seeing much for Peterson. TFC clearly needs another forward if they're subbing Nane on for Barrett and clearly don't even have enough confidence in Ibrahim to run down balls for 15 min. I think if we had another MLS quality striker, we would have won this game.

TFCUNITED
05-16-2010, 12:18 AM
It looks like Garcia is giving Landycakes at least one in the stink...maybe more.

Look's like he's helping him direct it.

TFCRegina
You are talking about the Gala that came on at the end and held up the ball in the opposite end for a good 2 minutes with 2-3 players covering him, right?

The same Gala who passed the ball adequately and played damn well against Montreal.

Davenport
Agree with these points. Sanyang has youth on his side to improve his composure, but he makes a lot of bad giveaways. I think he can get by at this level while he improves. Gala is a NCC player, Peterson, like Sanyang, I'm willing to give some time to, although not as a starter. He is coming back from a very serious injury.

I think Saric has really calmed down and shown some quality in the last couple of games. I think I'd still rather see Sanyang as JDG's partner, but it's a lot closer than it was.
I don't think Saric is the answer.
We need a creative midfielder with JDG and the only player I would put there is DeRo. Get a couple of decent strikers and we're looking like a team.
Finally a coach (Preki) has given players responsibility and jobs and they are doing them.

Lucky Strike
05-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Player ratings are up!

http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=22588

Dub Narcotic

If that's the best you can say about one of your attacking options... This team desperately needs another striker or attacking player.

Skinner
Although I didn't think Usanov had a particulary good game, I thought the second yellow was well taken...and he earned the first with three hard tackles...that's game smarts....you don't take points away to the best team in the league without being hard and cagy.

Nana, Cann (I call him Geico...you know....neandrethal) and Frei were great. Barrett is turning in to a solid front man, and the team heart is impresive.

Nane...dissapointing.

Davenport
05-16-2010, 12:23 AM
The same Gala who passed the ball adequately and played damn well against Montreal.
Not sure about him. To me he's not quite good enough and always rushing. Lots of effort but never really comfortable on the ball.
The sign of a good player is that he's got that, plus time on the ball.
He never has that.

ParadymeTFC
05-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Not sure about him. To me he's not quite good enough and always rushing. Lots of effort but never really comfortable on the ball.
He never has that.

LOL he was the only one who could hold the ball at the end of the game.

BayernTFC
05-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Cann (I call him Geico...you know....neandrethal

Thanks for the laugh. Funniest thing that I have read in a while. Very perceptive.

TFCRegina
05-16-2010, 12:29 AM
He never has that.

Comments like this make me wonder if people other than me actually watched the game.

Lucky Strike
05-16-2010, 12:30 AM
BTW, did anyone notice that weird sequenz (sp?)-encrusted captain's arm band Donovan was wearing. WTF is that about? I would have thought that water fountain sipping picture did enough damage to his man image.

Davenport
05-16-2010, 12:32 AM
My name's not LOL, but I did watch all the game....admittedly I've had a few sherberts, but I'm still not sure if he's good enough.

BayernTFC
05-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Not to mention that holding the ball was clearly TFC's weakness against LA tonight. Gala did his job as a sub tonight. One game does not a career make. It is something for him to build on though.

BayernTFC
05-16-2010, 12:41 AM
but I'm still not sure if he's good enough.
I don't think that Gala has done anywhere near enough to give anyone that type of confidence. He was able to help TFC hold a 0-0 draw against the Galaxy tonight. That's good enough for me. The boys deserve some credit for their effort. It was an entertaining match. Enjoy the result and hope that TFC can wrap up the Nutrilite Canadian Championship on Wednesday.

Pachuco
05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
What the fuck are people saying about Gala? the kid made a great difference when he came on the field. You could tell he took what Preki told him and did it to a tee. While he was on the field, he was quite possibly one of the best players on the field.

Anyways, as far as the game goes, I couldn't be prouder. That my friends was WAY more satisfying then even beating Seattle at home. Players hurt all over the place, playing against the best team in the league on 3 days rest on the other side of the continent. Every player did their job tonight. Including Garcia, who would've thunk.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Don't see why people are coming down on Gala, this was most definitely a half full game. I still think the half empty is the fact the team needed to play Nane at forward.

Skinner
05-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Some facts about Amadou Sanyang...

Not the best distributor of the ball
Still learning the game
Left his homeland at the age of 16
Battles for every ball
Heart of a lion
18 YEARS OLD!!!!!

I love this kid

T.O TILL I DIE
05-16-2010, 12:51 AM
attakora and frei saves

T.O TILL I DIE
05-16-2010, 12:55 AM
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY GARCIA GOT THE ARMBAND WHEN DERO GOT OFF!!!
i got a bit pissed when i seen that

Keystone FC
05-16-2010, 01:23 AM
There was a moment toward the end when the ball was played into the box by LA and a few TFC guys wanted a hand ball called right in front of the goal. Frei kept playing and LA player got off a shot that Frei saved. If Frei would have stopped playing and protested as well the guy probably would have scored and it would have stood.
This is the difference between playing all 90 minutes and playing 75 like we did last season. Some of our guys are still in the 75 minute mode but they are coming around. Last year that would have been a goal.
As for Usanov all I can say is USA! NOV!
I really like this guy. He gets carded but he gets carded for good fouls, smart fouls, technical fouls that could mean the difference between a 1-0 loss and a 0-0 tie.
When Dichio retired we lost a bit of bullbog bite that Dichio brought with him. I think Usanov is the bite that this team needs. He's kind of like an enforcer in hockey, a goon if you like, but he does send messages to forwards that if you want the ball in my area you are going to have to pay a price.

Keystone FC
05-16-2010, 01:25 AM

:facepalm:
Garcias 'O' face.

Auzzy
05-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Missed offside call, pass from Donovan before Buddle put it off the post:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47340987@N04/4611134062/in/photostream/http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/4611134062_845cbff542.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47340987@N04/4611134062/in/photostream/

twistedchinaman
05-16-2010, 02:05 AM

A wee bit premature, no?

Torontotonto
05-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Excellent effort even though they gassed out during the second 45. Good (IMO) coaching as well.

Onward to Vancouver!

Preki might be on to something here.
I think it all started in Montreal on Wednsday.

Great road trip...

:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf:

Yohan
05-16-2010, 02:33 AM
Again, Barrett and DeRo combo makes good things happen

Though I bet Chad would have scored if he tried to shoot with his left instead of his right ;)

edit: oh wow. how is that Gonzalez tackle on Barrett not a straight red? reckless as hell. MLS refs have given a straight red for less

looks like more tactical, not senseless use of long balls paid off with some chances. funny how that works when you use long ball more wisely into open spaces behind opposition lines, with more mobile striker who can chase them down

Yohan
05-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Garcia is what, 11 yrs MLS veteran and former SJ captain... his game may suck now, but he is pretty loud lol

no one else on the field with MLS experience close to Garcia

Torontotonto
05-16-2010, 02:51 AM
Attakora man o' the match. Well deserved.

I wonder what Andi Petrillo will be wearing to the beach tomorrow?

I would vote for Frei this game

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 03:06 AM
A wee bit premature, no?

No way. I alluded to playoffs in the pregame thread prior to the game when I predicted a 1-1 draw.

If we win 8 at home (out of 12 home games remaining) and get 2 wins on the road (2 out of 11 possible), we'll finish with >40 points, which should be enough to push us into the playoffs.

I'm calling it right now. Playoffs. Toronto. :scarf:

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 03:09 AM
As for Usanov all I can say is USA! NOV!
I really like this guy. He gets carded but he gets carded for good fouls, smart fouls, technical fouls that could mean the difference between a 1-0 loss and a 0-0 tie.
When Dichio retired we lost a bit of bullbog bite that Dichio brought with him. I think Usanov is the bite that this team needs. He's kind of like an enforcer in hockey, a goon if you like, but he does send messages to forwards that if you want the ball in my area you are going to have to pay a price.

Continuing with the hockey goon analogy, he's more like a Laraque than a Probert. He's proven to be talented, a reasonable distributor and can energize the side with a crunching tackle. His energy and determination are great

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 03:10 AM
i missed the match, and i know it was a good result but what were some points of improvement for the boys looking toward the rest of their busy schedule?

EDIT: from goal.com http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/05/16/1926984/stalemate-in-la-in-edson-buddle-landon-donovan-send-off

But tempers and anxiety seemed to cool down on the LA side in the second second half as the team improved. Toronto, unfortunately, burned out their gas tank in the first half and ran on fumes after the break.

LA spotted the exhaustion and tried to take advantage of the situation.

"Once we started passing the ball better, everybody played better. Didn't matter where we were," said Donovan. "[In the] second half [Toronto] had nothing left, we should have done a better a job making them pay for it."So there's that. And Usanov's red leaves us a bit shorthanded for a game. But anything else?

Auzzy
05-16-2010, 03:25 AM
^ Of course Donovan's quote is BS as well. Agreed, Toronto looked worse in the 2nd half, and LA better. But Toronto had "nothing left"? LA's last man foul against Barrett was in the 2nd half, as was Gala's good pass to Barrett, right in front of the net.

RE Usanov's 2nd yellow/red: that's the nice thing about Preki's preference for utility players. We have about four guys who could step in & play RB. Hopefully Gargan's ankle is better though, by next weekend vs NE, because he seems like the best bet at that position. (Usanov can still play vs Vancouver on Wednesday.)

Brooker
05-16-2010, 03:41 AM
what Preki said on TFC TV about Frei's performance was hilarious.

Just the look on his face when he says "FREI?!"

Keystone FC
05-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Continuing with the hockey goon analogy, he's more like a Laraque than a Probert. He's proven to be talented, a reasonable distributor and can energize the side with a crunching tackle. His energy and determination are great
Thank God, cause if he was ANYTHING like Probert he would have been thrown out of the league by now.:D

MUFC_Niagara
05-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Good result, gladly ate my words on the scoreline!

Oldtimer
05-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Really happy for the draw!!

I think we are seeing the results of having a real coach. Good strategies by Preki gaining an away point! We have a poorer squad on paper than last year (thanks Mo), yet they are playing much better:

(a) The team puts out a 100% effort out there. None of those listless games like we saw for the last 3 years, where you know they are going to lose from the opening whistle.

(b) Having the players clog up the midfield was very effective against Landycakes (until the end when they were too beat to really carry it out)

(c) The team keeping a solid formation almost all of the time

Preki has me a believer that he knows his stuff. I don't agree with all of his decisions, but he knows what it takes to make a solid team. A Preki team plays hard, plays as a team, has many utility players like interchangeable parts, and never gives up, even against the best team in the league who steamrollered Seattle the week before.

Add to it an amazing GK in Frei and we've got a hard-earned point.

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2010, 06:15 AM
i missed the match, and i know it was a good result but what were some points of improvement for the boys looking toward the rest of their busy schedule?

EDIT: from goal.com http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2010/05/16/1926984/stalemate-in-la-in-edson-buddle-landon-donovan-send-off

So there's that. And Usanov's red leaves us a bit shorthanded for a game. But anything else?

The quote from Landycakes is nonsense. The game continued to be pretty even until around the 70 minute mark, when they really started pushing for the three points at home, and our guys got a little tired.

We played most of the 2nd half like Inter against Barcelona in the Champions League - all defense, soaking up pressure, bending but not breaking. The only real key saves Frei had to make, didn't come until the last few minutes.

It wasn't a perfect game, but considering the key players that were out by that point - JDG, OBW, DeRo, even Barrett - we did really, really well.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2010, 06:19 AM
And I kind of respect the decision to give Garcia the armband - perhaps Preki could see some of the criticism had been wearing on Garcia, and Preki wanted to give him a shot of confidence. You can't have a healthy locker room when some guys are sulking or getting down on themselves, whether they are playing regular minutes or not.

And Garcia didn't have a great game last night, but to his credit, he played decently. He blocked lots of cross attempts (they were clearly singling him out as the weak link), and did a decent job of running out to shut guys down. A couple of facepalm moments in the box, but not his worst outing by far.

- Scott

harrietgate
05-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I agree. It must have been demoralizing for Garcia to be aware he was being vilified everywhere.
Our defense is so much tighter than before. The passing is so much more fluid and competent.
We did great and played really well!
(Contrast that with all the doom and gloom in pre game postings..)

:scarf:

koryo
05-16-2010, 09:26 AM
That quote from Donovan is complete rubbish and reminiscent of a certain A. Wenger when his side is beaten by a physically superior, yet technically inferior, opponent. Not worth a second look.

We can be proud of the team for the grit they showed last night. If LA failed to make us pay then that's their failure, not ours. They were at home and it was their job to break us down. Yet they did not do it.

We showed resolve, we frustrated them, we prevented them from playing their brand of football last night.

As far as I'm concerned, LA was lucky to not be man down early in the second half and to not be two down at half-time.

koryo
05-16-2010, 09:36 AM
For anyone getting carried away with post-season talk (and be realistic, you are getting carried away), you have to remember that as it stands, we would not make the post-season. Only the top two from each conference make it in on position, all other spots are decided on points regardless of conference.

As of this morning: the West sends six teams to the post season and the East sends two.

trane
05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Good road win, we looked organized. I fell asleep somewhere around the 70th. I liked the team play, Garcia did not fuck up. I have to give credit to Barrett once again he played like a striker. His shot early that the LS keeper had to dive, is what I want to see, one touch and then strike on net. He keeps on doing that and he may develop it what many (not me) have said he would.

Darlofletch
05-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Preki might be on to something here.
I think it all started in Montreal on Wednsday.

Great road trip...

:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf:

Preki's been on to something the whole time. Not having a full squad until two or three weeks into the season slowed us down a lot, but we've always been building to this sort of team and performance. Hard work, organisation, cutting down on mistakes, that's what preki's been preaching all year, and now we're really seeing the benefits of that.

We still need one or two more real quality players, and definitely need more depth up front if we're going to be a serious challenger, but the basics are coming together nicely. We're further ahead than I thought we would be at this stage, and though we're out of the playoffs right now, we've played 5 out of 8 away, and have already got 4 of the toughest away games out of the way.

Really good first half performance last night, and then a very tense second half, and a bit lucky to hold on, but we really earned that luck, and with no proper forwards out there to finish it off, it can be considered a very good result.

So Garcia played a full 90 on wednesday, and then gets the nod to play a full 90 again on saturday, not exactly a vote of confidence in hscanovics is it?

credit to Garcia, he had a decent game, drifted in to the middle a bit too much, but was generally solid, and made some smart decisions to just kick the ball away or in to touch at times rather than potentially fuck up.

Frei was absolutely fucking huge at the end, Barrett had a good game up front, and CanNana were really solid once again. and Usanov really got good value for his red card, i've no complaints there for usanov or the referee.

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 10:18 AM
For anyone getting carried away with post-season talk (and be realistic, you are getting carried away), you have to remember that as it stands, we would not make the post-season. Only the top two from each conference make it in on position, all other spots are decided on points regardless of conference.

As of this morning: the West sends six teams to the post season and the East sends two.

I beg to differ. A tad early for playoff talk, I'll give you that. But I think its realistic. It's true that currently the bulk of teams are from the West, but we're one win away from being tied for 5th overall. Considering our own fans were writing off the team at the beginning of the season, thats pretty huge.

And 9 of our next 13 league matches are at home. I fully think we can overtake NYRB for second (Columbus are bound to pass them for first in the East).

Playoffs. Second in East.

koryo
05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
I beg to differ. A tad early for playoff talk, I'll give you that. But I think its realistic. It's true that currently the bulk of teams are from the West, but we're one win away from being tied for 5th overall. Considering our own fans were writing off the team at the beginning of the season, thats pretty huge.

And 13 of our next 17 league matches are at home. I fully think we can overtake NYRB for second (Columbus are bound to pass them for first in the East).

That may well be, but I'm a pessimist by trade :D

Darlofletch
05-16-2010, 10:26 AM

And 13 of our next 17 league matches are at home. I fully think we can overtake NYRB for second (Columbus are bound to pass them for first in the East).

we've already played 3 at home, no way we've got 13 left.

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 10:26 AM
So Garcia played a full 90 on wednesday, and then gets the nod to play a full 90 again on saturday, not exactly a vote of confidence in hscanovics is it?

Agree on all accounts other than this. I think Hscanovics will be starting on Wednesday. I wish I could provide some rationale why Preki's been keeping him on bench, but Preki is our evil genius. Don't really care who starts as long as the recent effort continues.

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 10:28 AM
we've already played 3 at home, no way we've got 13 left.

Fixed. I shouldn't be doing math homework while posting.
:facepalm:

Although if you count the NCC match, Bolton, a CONCACAF prelim and the open practice it'll be 13 out of 17 lol

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 10:29 AM
That may well be, but I'm a pessimist by trade :D

:lol: I hear ya... can't really blame you either

AL-MO
05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Was hoping for a draw, and we got one.

AL-MO is happy. :)

Now onto wrap up the V-Cup on Wednesday!!!

CoachGT
05-16-2010, 10:35 AM

I wondered about how many people had noticed this. I think the teams in the east are in deep. Thankfully they play each other a bunch!

It is too early to consider post season, but at the same point, results early have a hell of an impact. Start out behind and you are always playing catch up.

AL-MO
05-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I wondered about how many people had noticed this. I think the teams in the east are in deep. Thankfully they play each other a bunch!

It is too early to consider post season, but at the same point, results early have a hell of an impact. Start out behind and you are always playing catch up.

I thought we played everyone twice this year? (balanced schedule)

kitchener-TFC
05-16-2010, 10:40 AM
what Preki said on TFC TV about Frei's performance was hilarious.

Just the look on his face when he says "FREI?!"
hahaha, that was hilarious.
I thought Gala made an impact the second he took to the pitch.

CoachGT
05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I thought we played everyone twice this year? (balanced schedule)

We do, and that is the saving grace. If we're marginally better (or more) than other teams in the east we will stand a chance. But I suspect New York will continue to improve over the year and Columbus will continue to play their normal game. We'll need something significant to happen to narrow the gap - injuries to key player on the opposition, for example.

I don't suspect that even bringing in another DP will significantly alter TFC because I'm of the belief that Preki doesn't want one - seems to me that his ideal team might be 24 players all making exactly the same money, all with comparable skill. He doesn't strike me as a man who can successfully manage 'star' players.

Boondaddy
05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Very proud of the lads!! Hard work pays off!

jloome
05-16-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm just gonna stay out of this thread today, as I see a whole lot of "specks" of criticism flecked all over the place, and most of them are horseshit.

Redpunkfiddle
05-16-2010, 10:58 AM

This being MLS, the best rule is to not get too excited but neither be too complacent about early results. The season just has a tendency to keep things very close until the end unless a team is really good or bad. I won't pick apart playoff positioning in detail until the last 10 games.

I still try to look at some benchmarks, like getting about 14 points every 10 games for a 42 point season. We'd need a win and a draw to get up to that from our NE and SJ games. But we'll have played only 4 home games vs 6 away. But that still is a bit of a mug's game. We are going to drop points at home at some point, and we will need to win 3 or 4 at least on the road.

The thing that does mean a lot at this point is how the team is playing, and it is getting better as the system and players gel.

CoachGT
05-16-2010, 12:48 PM
This being MLS, the best rule is to not get too excited but neither be too complacent about early results. The season just has a tendency to keep things very close until the end unless a team is really good or bad. I won't pick apart playoff positioning in detail until the last 10 games.

I still try to look at some benchmarks, like getting about 14 points every 10 games for a 42 point season. We'd need a win and a draw to get up to that from our NE and SJ games. But we'll have played only 4 home games vs 6 away. But that still is a bit of a mug's game. We are going to drop points at home at some point, and we will need to win 3 or 4 at least on the road.

The thing that does mean a lot at this point is how the team is playing, and it is getting better as the system and players gel.

If you go to the playoff odds page (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html) they indicate that teams will need 44 points to be pretty much guaranteed to make it to the playoffs this year. That makes sense given that there is another team that has entered that will likely take few points from opponents. to get to 45 points, TFC need 34 from the next 22 games.

While the team is getting better results and with a few more games at home at the end of the season than we've seen in the past, that is still a pretty tough request in a league with the parity that exists. The odds are better at making the playoffs as a top two team in the east than they might be in taking any of the four "wild card" spots.

Given your analysis, 14 points in 10 games won't get us there for sure - it'll give us a 75% chance of making it. And those percentages do not factor in the relative strength of the team we're playing agains - it gives every game, home, away, against stronger or weaker opposition, a 50/50 chance.

Don't get me wrong - I'm hoping we make it, but I think it is easier getting there when you've got points earlier rather than trying to make it up later in the year. And I'm not convinced (yet) that we are in a stronger position for playoffs this year, after all of the changes and uncertainty, than we were at this or any other point last year.

DoubleUp
05-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Or better yet a Guevara type who can take a decent free kick, dance around the midfield with the ball a bit.

Essentially, yes that type of attacking player somebody thoroughly confident in their attacking ability.....but not to take away from this bunch....again Boys good result.

rocker
05-16-2010, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the imbalance between divisions .. was it last season or the one before?? I forget, but there was one season where the East started off gangbusters and the West looked like a piece of shit. By the end of the year, things had shifted the other way. There's an ebb and flow to the season...

Oldtimer
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't suspect that even bringing in another DP will significantly alter TFC because I'm of the belief that Preki doesn't want one - seems to me that his ideal team might be 24 players all making exactly the same money, all with comparable skill. He doesn't strike me as a man who can successfully manage 'star' players.

There is some truth to this statement. A Preki team has a lot of interchangeable parts each playing a role. That being said, I don't think it's quite this extreme... he can handle having different levels of players (he referred to that as a fact of life in MLS in one of his interviews). He could handle having another DP, but he wouldn't ever depend on one. For him, it's the team as a whole and the system that counts.

canadian_bhoy
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
^ Would be nice if we had a striker that could score 15-20 goals though...

CoachGT
05-16-2010, 02:01 PM
^ Would be nice if we had a striker that could score 15-20 goals though...

At the rate he is going, that could be DeRo.

TFCwestcan
05-16-2010, 03:08 PM
And I kind of respect the decision to give Garcia the armband - perhaps Preki could see some of the criticism had been wearing on Garcia, and Preki wanted to give him a shot of confidence. You can't have a healthy locker room when some guys are sulking or getting down on themselves, whether they are playing regular minutes or not.

And Garcia didn't have a great game last night, but to his credit, he played decently. He blocked lots of cross attempts (they were clearly singling him out as the weak link), and did a decent job of running out to shut guys down. A couple of facepalm moments in the box, but not his worst outing by far.

- Scott

I had to rub my eyes at one point the ball actually hit Garcia's head in the box, it seemed to fly out to safety, not sure if Garcia was aware of this...

bgnewf
05-16-2010, 04:55 PM
When a Draw Feels Like A Win - TFC v Galaxy Video Blog

Frei saves the point, Barrett keeps his head up and TFC keeps the top offensive cub in MLS off the scoresheet. And I look forward to Wednesday when the Voyageurs Cup can be sewn up

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/when-a-draw-feels-like-a-win-tfc-v-galaxy-video-blog/

LesH
05-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Huge result....Points on the road are vital for playoffs..as we are a machine at home! :)

C'mon TO!

Let's not get carried away...

We had just 3 games at home, and won all 3.
But I would say "we are a machine at home" only if after the first 8 home MLS games we would have a perfect home record - 8 wins.

Of course this will not happen!

LesH
05-16-2010, 07:18 PM

Man, that was an absolute horrible move by Dero!
Just think about the ego of the younger players... What kind of message they get seeing that the armband is given to the all-time weakest TFC player?

Damn! WTF Dero?

brad
05-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Let's not get carried away...

We had just 3 games at home, and won all 3.
But I would say "we are a machine at home" only if after the first 8 home MLS games we would have a perfect home record - 8 wins.

Of course this will not happen!

I wouldn't say we are a machine at home yet.

-Seattle rested 5 players. That's a lot in the MLS.
-the wind nullified Chicago's game - effectively taking service to McBride out.
-We barely managed to beat a 10 man expansion team.

Let's give it a few more games.

brad
05-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Just think about the ego of the younger players... What kind of message they get seeing that the armband is given to the all-time weakest TFC player?

Damn! WTF Dero?

This was most likely determined by Preki before the match, not DeRo.

DichioTFC
05-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Damn! WTF Dero?

Captaincy is determined by Preki, not DeRo.

That being said, I like Garcia getting the armband. He has MLS experience and if he can play positions other than CB (defensive fullback, defensive mid), I'm not opposed. He's not going anywhere in the near future and his play has improved from the first two matches.

I'm not upset to hear he got the armband. If it inspires him and gives him the confidence to improve his play, then why the hell not. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

habstfc
05-16-2010, 10:24 PM
A good effort last night all in all. I thought top to bottom the whole team played well defensively. The only thing that bothers me is why tfc could play them so closely in the first half then give them all that space in the 2nd half. The reason they were so succesful in the first half was because the galaxy didn't have the time or space to get anything going because of the tight toronto marking. L.A. looked a bit frustrated with how toronto played them so tightly. Most of the second half was a complete reversal. They(tfc) gave them way too much space that's why the game started to turn in the galaxy favour possesion wise. Having said that, besides buddle hitting the post (which was clearly offside) and that late flurry in the final seconds, I really never thought toronto was going to blow it like so many games last year in the final minutes. With usanov out for next saturday and JDG and WDR missing for the argentina game, we'll see how much depth this team has.

Yagbod
05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
This Saturday could be tough, with all the call-ups, injuries and suspension. But we owe them one for N.E.'s slapping of TFC on the road this year.

I will be avenged for that result which cost me 20 hours on that smelly bus!!!

On another note: One thing I have noticed this year is TFC's propensity for passing it around in the backfield. I think this is key. It waste's some time when necessary and also allows for a better offensive set-up. Thank you Preki!!!

twistedchinaman
05-17-2010, 12:15 AM
This Saturday could be tough, with all the call-ups, injuries and suspension. But we owe them one for N.E.'s slapping of TFC on the road this year.

I will be avenged for that result which cost me 20 hours on that smelly bus!!!

On another note: One thing I have noticed this year is TFC's propensity for passing it around in the backfield. I think this is key. It waste's some time when necessary and also allows for a better offensive set-up. Thank you Preki!!!

I'm more concerned about Wednesday night in Vancouver -- I'm personally just hoping for the whole NCC deal to be wrapped up in a nice little bow. If we can do that first, New England will follow...

maninb
05-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Another good factor arising from the game is that Uselessanov is now suspended, he's a talentless hacker who continually gets beat one-on-one...the sooner Gargan and Harden get back the better..Very pleasantly with Saric's play...Preki must have read him the riot act after his first 4-5 appearances where he was hacking everything in site..if he keeps control he can be a solid role player...What more can nyou say about Cann-Nana...brilliant again....Let's beat Vancouver on Wednesday and then we can rest players on June 2....

Chevy
05-17-2010, 07:57 AM
Say what you want about Usanov, but he WAS part of the back four that blanked the top scoring team in the league. At home.

bgnewf
05-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Another good factor arising from the game is that Uselessanov is now suspended, he's a talentless hacker who continually gets beat one-on-one...the sooner Gargan and Harden get back the better..Very pleasantly with Saric's play...Preki must have read him the riot act after his first 4-5 appearances where he was hacking everything in site..if he keeps control he can be a solid role player...What more can nyou say about Cann-Nana...brilliant again....Let's beat Vancouver on Wednesday and then we can rest players on June 2....

It is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but the "hack" you called it at the end of the game was a truly professional foul that probably in and of itself saved the point just as importantly as Frei's heriocs in injury time did. Usanov is definitely better than the Latvian is.

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Usanov is definitely rough around the edges, but like Tim said... his professional foul probably did as much to save the game as Frei's saves did.

I like Usanov in that he tries hard all the time, similar to Wynne, he gets caught out of position from time to time, similar to Wynne, but he seems to read the game better defensively and definitely has slightly more technical ability. Most of all, like Saric, he's not afraid to get fucking stuck in even if it means slightly reckless tackles. Something we admired the likes of Serioux and Marshall for, but now we're damning Saric and Usanov for? Come on.

pekduck
05-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Usanov is definitely rough around the edges, but like Tim said... his professional foul probably did as much to save the game as Frei's saves did.

I like Usanov in that he tries hard all the time, similar to Wynne, he gets caught out of position from time to time, similar to Wynne, but he seems to read the game better defensively and definitely has slightly more technical ability. Most of all, like Saric, he's not afraid to get fucking stuck in even if it means slightly reckless tackles. Something we admired the likes of Serioux and Marshall for, but now we're damning Saric and Usanov for? Come on.

+1 :hump:

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Also, remember this is still the MLS. The same league people complain about every week for being 'minor league' and having 'underperforming refs' and so on, and so on. We're not going to get a Philip Lahm or Patrice Evra running the flanks from defense.

Wynne is an exceptional athlete, but imo, we've more than replaced him with LaBrocca and Usanov.

Belfast_Boy
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM
wow, just frigging wow!

that draw felt like we won the CUP! at least to me. thought they were going to kill us.

the line up and changes were surprising. but it worked.

what has happened to Garcia? he had a good game.

I like the Russian mugger , think he'll finish the season with the most cards in the league. took a pretty good one at the end. well done laddy!

IMO Nana and Frei were frigging hot! both played their asses off!

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
wow, just frigging wow!

that draw felt like we won the CUP! at least to me. thought they were going to kill us.

the line up and changes were surprising. but it worked.

what has happened to Garcia? he had a good game.

I like the Russian mugger , think he'll finish the season with the most cards in the league. took a pretty good one at the end. well done laddy!

IMO Nana and Frei were frigging hot! both played their asses off!

Agreed on all points.... and something I said in preseason is finally coming to fruition lol. I thought that Garcia would be 'less of a hazard' if we used him on the wing instead of in the middle. I had proposed the right side, since I'm pretty sure he played there when he was younger, but he doesn't look half bad on the left to be fair. Few mistakes, couple decent touches, all in all, it's almost like the Garcia from 2 years ago is slightly back lol.

Yes Nana and Cann, IMO the best CB partnership in the league that I've seen.

Borga
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
It looked to me like right at the end of the game when Garcia came up with the ball to Frei's left that he was absolutely terrified... Like all the screwups that led to goals were running through his mind. Thankfully, he cleared it away but it looked like he had a grenade at his feet for a moment or two.