PDA

View Full Version : Logan Pause's goal against TFC

auncivilized
05-15-2010, 08:03 AM
his goal made it to www.tvgolo.com (http://www.tvgolo.com) weekly top 10 poll
i know it was a goal against us but mls doesnt make onto that site very often(at least BMO gets a little exposure world wide) heres the link of this weeks video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvZaG0ULh40&feature=player_embedded

JonO
05-15-2010, 08:45 AM
It was a nice goal and it looks even better if you don't know about the weather conditions ;)

Derko
05-15-2010, 09:30 AM
It was a nice goal regardless of conditions, the type of strikes TFC is lacking.

flatpicker
05-15-2010, 09:32 AM
If they are gonna put that goal on the highlights, then they should also include LaBrocca's goal!

It was the best of the windy goals.

Shakes McQueen
05-15-2010, 09:32 AM
It was a nice goal regardless of conditions, the type of strikes TFC is lacking.

If you read the Chicago supprters boards, it sounds like it was a pretty fluky one-off from Pause, as he apparently almost never scores.

It was a great strike. I think it was given some velocity from the wind though.

- Scott

uncle p
05-15-2010, 11:42 AM
When you see the replay from behind the goal you clearly see the ball take a different direction as soon as it leaves his foot, im assuming this is the wind taking it. It looks fantastic but i would would say this goal was a fluke

edmundo
05-15-2010, 08:48 PM
as they say in track and field it was "wind aided" lol

TheKing7
05-15-2010, 09:17 PM
If you catch these new footballs right almost anyone can smash one, especially with that sort of wind at your back.
...having said that... He did it.

Oldtimer
05-15-2010, 09:17 PM
It's nice to see exposure for MLS.

James Oliphant
05-16-2010, 01:52 PM
All this talk about the wind being a helper is silly...we had that wind at OUR backs for 45 minutes, and not one player on our side attempted a shot from distance. Which is exactly what we should have been doing in the first half. You have to use the conditions to your advantage. That's what Pause did, and he scored a great goal because of it.

Glad we won, but that was a frustrating first half.

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2010, 02:06 PM
All this talk about the wind being a helper is silly...we had that wind at OUR backs for 45 minutes, and not one player on our side attempted a shot from distance. Which is exactly what we should have been doing in the first half. You have to use the conditions to your advantage. That's what Pause did, and he scored a great goal because of it.

Glad we won, but that was a frustrating first half.

I don't think anyone was arguing it was tactically foolish - they are pointing out that the wind helped it get into the net. Yes, he used the conditions to his advantage. That's basically just another way of saying the wind was a "helper".

- Scott

rocker
05-16-2010, 02:15 PM
FLUKE!!!! :)

when a guy scores only his 2nd goal in 167 games in that manner, it's the definition of a fluke. If it was Dero, who has done such a thing before, then it wouldn't be.

James Oliphant
05-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't think anyone was arguing it was tactically foolish - they are pointing out that the wind helped it get into the net. Yes, he used the conditions to his advantage. That's basically just another way of saying the wind was a "helper".

- Scott

I never said anyone thought it was tactically foolish. My point was that there are people discounting the quality of the goal based on the fact that the wind helped it. I just think that's wrong.

What is tactically foolish, however, is TFC not using it to their advantage when they were in that situation. LaBrocca's goal was a fluke, but even after that the TFC players didn't think "hey, we should take some long shots in this wind." And if they did think that, they certainly didn't act upon it.

James Oliphant
05-16-2010, 04:49 PM
FLUKE!!!! :)

when a guy scores only his 2nd goal in 167 games in that manner, it's the definition of a fluke. If it was Dero, who has done such a thing before, then it wouldn't be.

Jim Brennan's free-kick goal in Columbus was a fluke too, by that logic.

Auzzy
05-16-2010, 04:53 PM
It was odd, TFC kept on trying long passes to the forwards in the 1st half vs. Chicago, which was guaranteed to fail, instead of taking long shots on net.

Kaz
05-16-2010, 04:54 PM
The wind the changed directions every few seconds, the wind which wasn't constant, the wind that is totally unpredictable?

Pause had the wind at his back in the split second and acted on it, it was tactically a sound call because he took a chance. I'm not even sure he was trying for the goal, but if that was his intent then it was a thought in the moment and a good one. TFC didn't make the wrong call, if know one had the ball when the wind was behaving, or no one felt they had a clean shot in the right conditions that they made the right call.

During that game I got pelt by sleet/rain/snow whatever, from three directions, so it wasn't like the wind was just blow constantly right at the south stands in a straight line.

James Oliphant
05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
The wind the changed directions every few seconds, the wind which wasn't constant, the wind that is totally unpredictable?

Pause had the wind at his back in the split second and acted on it, it was tactically a sound call because he took a chance. I'm not even sure he was trying for the goal, but if that was his intent then it was a thought in the moment and a good one. TFC didn't make the wrong call, if know one had the ball when the wind was behaving, or no one felt they had a clean shot in the right conditions that they made the right call.

During that game I got pelt by sleet/rain/snow whatever, from three directions, so it wasn't like the wind was just blow constantly right at the south stands in a straight line.

All of which are arguments for taking shots at the goal instead of trying to play long, high passes from back to front. How many times did we try that tactic and fail miserably, with the ball either running through to Dykstra or beyond the end line?

Unpredictability of shot direction is a GOOD thing for attackers, and a bad thing for keepers.

uncle p
05-16-2010, 06:00 PM
I dunno man, judging by his body position it looks like he was aiming for Frei's right side, his shoulders are squared to Frei's right, and he follows through to Frei's right, i think the wind took it left. Good on him though for using the elements to his advantage, but this goal is a fluke.....

ensco
05-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Lots of great goals are "flukes". Dichio's goal in the finale in 2007 was a total fluke.

Kaz
05-16-2010, 09:25 PM
All of which are arguments for taking shots at the goal instead of trying to play long, high passes from back to front. How many times did we try that tactic and fail miserably, with the ball either running through to Dykstra or beyond the end line?

Unpredictability of shot direction is a GOOD thing for attackers, and a bad thing for keepers.

No no it's not, when the ball can go high or miss all together, the long ball was stupid too, but long shots like that require just the right conditions. If you don't think you have the shot then you shouldn't take it. Long passes are bad too.

James Oliphant
05-16-2010, 10:11 PM
No no it's not, when the ball can go high or miss all together, the long ball was stupid too, but long shots like that require just the right conditions. If you don't think you have the shot then you shouldn't take it. Long passes are bad too.

You're right...having a crack at goal is just as bad as letting a dozen long passes run long.