PDA

View Full Version : Canada names roster for South American friendlies

jabbronies
05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Canada names roster for South American friendlies
By John F. Molinaro

Toronto FC captain Dwayne De Rosario and teammate Julian de Guzman will line up for their country when Canada faces Argentina in an international friendly later this month.

Canadian national team coach Stephen Hart on Friday announced his roster for his side's exhibition matches against Argentina (May 24 in Buenos Aires) and Venezuela (May 29 in Merida).

De Rosario and de Guzman will play against Argentina but will not face Venezuela in order to be available for Toronto FC's match against the San Jose Earthquakes on May 29.

Read More (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifaworldcup/argentina/story/2010/05/14/sp-canada-argentina.html)

Ageroo
05-14-2010, 01:06 PM
(Canada roster vs. Argentina)

Goalkeepers: Josh Wagenaar, Haidar Al Shaibani, Pat Onstad
Defenders: Adam Straith, Mike Klukowski, Andre Hainault, Paul Stalteri, Richard Hastings, Nik Ledgerwood, Pedro Pacheco
Midfielders: Julian de Guzman, Will Johnson, Daniel Imhof, Jaime Peters, Dwayne de Rosario, Josh Simpson
Forwards: Simeon Jackson, Stephen Ademolu, Rob Friend
(Canada roster vs. Venezuela)

Goalkeepers: Josh Wagenaar, Haidar Al Shaibani
Defenders: Eddy Sidra, Adam Straith, Mike Klukowski, Paul Stalteri, Richard Hastings
Midfielders: Gianluca Zavarise, Nik Ledgerwood, Gavin McCallum, Issey Nakajima-Farran, Terry Dunfield, Pedro Pacheco
Forwards: Simeon Jackson, Stephen Ademolu, Rob Friend

Not bad choices in my opinion....should be interesting to see how they fare in both matches....

Darlofletch
05-14-2010, 01:07 PM
seems like a sensible compromise to let them go, and then for Canada to not keep them for both games.

Ageroo
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
seems like a sensible compromise to let them go, and then for Canada to not keep them for both games.

Agreed....this gives them enough time to rest up for the weekend match and rejoin the squad in San Jose for the league match......I would have liked to see Nana get called down, but Hart was in a bind and of course you want to of your strongest if not the strongest players from TFC for the Argentina match.

Gazza
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Don't know much about Stephen Ademolu...can anyone fill me in?

Looks like the sensible roster. I'm really looking forward to these games. Haven't been able to say that about the national team in quite a while.

Pachuco
05-14-2010, 02:14 PM
It's unfortunately for Nana that he couldn't go as the team wouldn't release three players. Fortunate for TFC, but not so much for Nana. I'm really looking forward to seeing Nana play with CMNT in the coming year.

Pachuco
05-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Anyone notice Gerba isn't on the team? I think he's going to find it really difficult getting another cap for Canada unless he gets a job and bodes better then he did with TFC.

DichioTFC
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone notice Gerba isn't on the team? I think he's going to find it really difficult getting another cap for Canada unless he gets a job and bodes better then he did with TFC.

Very interesting, especially considering Ali Gerba said in the Kirsten Jack interview that Stephen Hart said that Ali was in the best shape he's ever seen him in... Not sure what to make of that...

But still, can't wait to see DeRo tear up the Argentine midfield!!

Carts
05-14-2010, 02:29 PM
Agreed....this gives them enough time to rest up for the weekend match and rejoin the squad in San Jose for the league match......I would have liked to see Nana get called down, but Hart was in a bind and of course you want to of your strongest if not the strongest players from TFC for the Argentina match.

+1...

My exact thoughts - no need to retype them...

Age is wise!

Carts...

devioustrevor
05-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Anyone know anything about Pedro Pacheco and Gianluca Zavarise? Two names I've never heard before and usually I'm at least somewhat familiar with even obscure players that get added to the NT.

SilverSamurai
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Not bad.
Good to see Jackson getting both games.
Not pleased to see Nana left off again, but not much you can do.
Don't see why he couldn't have played for TFC on Sat and then caught a flight to Venezuela for that match... Esp. if DeRo and JDG are back...

Fort York Redcoat
05-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Too early to complain there's not gonna be any coverage for that game?

pekduck
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Argentinians will have enough online streams for us to watch, lol

oh wait.. you said proper media coverage.... nvm.. prob little to none

ginkster88
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Really excited for this... Jamaica at BMO made me a lifelong CMNT fan, and being in Montreal broke my heart (I'm not going to say anything more about that night). This team looks good, I'm so happy to see pro soccer growing across Canada; as it does we'll see the National Program improve by leaps and bounds.

Ageroo
05-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Not bad.
Good to see Jackson getting both games.
Not pleased to see Nana left off again, but not much you can do.
Don't see why he couldn't have played for TFC on Sat and then caught a flight to Venezuela for that match... Esp. if DeRo and JDG are back...

Do you want Garcia staring for TFC.......me thinks TFC doesn't want that either.....:D

Whoop
05-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Anyone know anything about Pedro Pacheco and Gianluca Zavarise? Two names I've never heard before and usually I'm at least somewhat familiar with even obscure players that get added to the NT.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/gianluca-zavarise/profil/spieler_68151.html

SilverSamurai
05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Too early to complain there's not gonna be any coverage for that game?
RSN is carrying it.

Really excited for this... Jamaica at BMO made me a lifelong CMNT fan, and being in Montreal broke my heart (I'm not going to say anything more about that night). This team looks good, I'm so happy to see pro soccer growing across Canada; as it does we'll see the National Program improve by leaps and bounds.
That night in Montreal NEVER happened. :facepalm:

Do you want Garcia staring for TFC.......me thinks TFC doesn't want that either.....:D
True, but isn't the Venezuela match after the TFC match (like midweek?)

As for Garcia... well... I miss Marco Velez...

SilverSamurai
05-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok just noticed it now... Onstad?!
WTF?!
Why no Lars?!

JonO
05-14-2010, 03:09 PM
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/pedro-pacheco/videoanzeigen/spieler_25506.html

Although that lists his nationality as portuguese, i'm pretty sure it's the same guy (unless there are 2 Pedro Pacheco's playing for the same team...)

pekduck
05-14-2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/midfielders-leave-after-vancouver

may be they'll not start for vancouver match but sub in if we are not winning

DavydMT
05-14-2010, 03:30 PM
It's unfortunately for Nana that he couldn't go as the team wouldn't release three players. Fortunate for TFC, but not so much for Nana. I'm really looking forward to seeing Nana play with CMNT in the coming year.

+1. Him and Cann did very well this week.

Whoop
05-14-2010, 03:36 PM
CANADA (v. Argentina)
1- G- Wagenaar, Josh | SCO / Falkirk
2- D- Straith, Adam | GER / Energie Cottbus
3- D- Klukowski, Mike | BEL / Club Brugge
4- D- Hainault, André | USA / Houston Dynamo
6- M- de Guzman, Julian | CAN / Toronto FC
7- D- Stalteri, Paul | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach
8- M- Johnson, Will | USA / Real Salt Lake
9- F- Friend, Rob | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach
10- M- Imhof, Daniel | SUI / St. Gallen
11- D- Hastings, Richard | SCO / Hamilton
12- D- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt
13- M- Peters, Jaime | ENG / Ipswich Town
14- M- De Rosario, Dwayne | CAN / Toronto FC
15- M- Simpson, Josh | TUR / Manisaspor
16- F- Jackson, Simeon | ENG / Gillingham FC
17- F- Ademolu, Stephen | LIT / FK Ekranas
18- G- Onstad, Pat | USA / Houston Dynamo
19- D- Pacheco, Pedro | POR / Nacional
22- G- Al-Shaļbani, Haidar | FRA / Nīmes Olympique

CANADA (v. Venezuela)
2- D- Sidra, Eddy | GER / Energie Cottbus
4- D- Straith, Adam | GER / Energie Cottbus
6- M- Zavarise, Gianluca | GER / VfL Bochum
8- M- Dunfield, Terry | ENG / Shrewsbury Town FC
12- M- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt
14- M- McCallum, Gavin | ENG / Hereford United
15- M- Nakajima-Farran, Issey | DEN / AC Horsens
19- M- Pacheco, Pedro | POR / Nacional

STB
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone know why Hoillet (blackburn) isnt getting called up ???

If i was manager i would call him up and get him tied to Canada before you get another bergovic/guzman

Whoop
05-14-2010, 03:40 PM
^^
You can only get tied to Canada during WCQ, or through a FIFA sanctioned tournament (i.e. Gold Cup) I believe.

First part I'm 100% sure on, second part, not 100%.

Krasno.pL.
05-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Where the FUCK IS EDGAR.. i dont want to have to call him and ask

LOL now i know hahahah

Jeff s
05-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Where's Hutchinson?

ag futbol
05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Where the FUCK IS EDGAR.. i dont want to have to call him and ask

LOL now i know hahahah
According the the V's site, he was called but had "person issues" to sort out.

It's nice to see that Hart casts a relatively wide net and I'd say that Pedro Pacheco has pretty much caught everyone by surprise.

I'm sure Nana will get a call, it's a balancing act for TFC/CSA as taking as many as 5 starters out of the lineup would really set TFC back. I'm sure he'll get a call for one of the later games .

ag futbol
05-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Where's Hutchinson?
Injured, same with De Jong, and McKenna

Krasno.pL.
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM

It's nice to see that Hart casts a relatively wide net and I'd say that Pedro Pacheco has pretty much caught everyone by surprise.

I'm sure Nana will get a call, it's a balancing act for TFC/CSA as taking as many as 5 starters out of the lineup would really set TFC back. I'm sure he'll get a call for one of the later games .

LOL .. :) he does have a personal issue .. its understandable and wayyyyy more fun i think :)

TFC07
05-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow @ goalkeepers!

The team looks okay. Our mids and forwards got some quality, but our defenders and goalkeepers don't! :(

ag futbol
05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Klukowski is VERY quality. No comment on Straith as i haven't seen him play, but he's stil young and playing at a good level.

CB's do look shody, I agree.

devioustrevor
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Where's Hutchinson?

Injured

devioustrevor
05-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Injured, same with De Jong, and McKenna

When's the last time McKenna actually played for us? It seems a long while.

menefreghista
05-14-2010, 04:57 PM
Anyone know why Hoillet (blackburn) isnt getting called up ???

He was asked to come and declined.

SilverSamurai
05-14-2010, 07:06 PM
^^
You can only get tied to Canada during WCQ, or through a FIFA sanctioned tournament (i.e. Gold Cup) I believe.

First part I'm 100% sure on, second part, not 100%.
You're correct on both counts.

5?! Theirs Nana which makes 3 and who else?
Sure, Cann's been called up but he's def not a reg starter...

jazzy
05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Not bad choices in my opinion....should be interesting to see how they fare in both matches....

Paul Stalteri...does anyone give more to Candaian soccer than this guy.... he never turns down the opportunity to play for his country. He's getting older yes but.....he is an unheralded Canadian soccer cornerstone to me.

J .
05-14-2010, 10:17 PM
CANADA (v. Argentina)
4- D- Hainault, André | USA / Houston Dynamo
6- M- de Guzman, Julian | CAN / Toronto FC
8- M- Johnson, Will | USA / Real Salt Lake
10- M- Imhof, Daniel | SUI / St. Gallen
12- D- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt
14- M- De Rosario, Dwayne | CAN / Toronto FC
15- M- Simpson, Josh | TUR / Manisaspor
18- G- Onstad, Pat | USA / Houston Dynamo

CANADA (v. Venezuela)
4- D- Straith, Adam | GER / Energie Cottbus
12- M- Ledgerwood, Nik | GER / Frankfurt
14- M- McCallum, Gavin | ENG / Hereford United
19- M- Pacheco, Pedro | POR / Nacional

The line up looks ok, Im looking forward to seeing how Jackson and Friend do paired up together. There are a few players I do not recognize and the lower lvls of England seems to be getting a nod as well.

I am interested in seeing how these guys in particular look, hoepfully we have some future talent lined up.

werewolf
05-14-2010, 10:18 PM
It's nice that some new players are getting a chance, and into the system. Players I would have included (in some sort of combination, not all of them);

Hirschfeld, Stamatopolous, Monsalve, Misiewicz, Street, Beaulieu-Bourgault, Hume, Ornoch, Ricketts, Hoilett, Bunbury.

I know Scandanavia just began their season, so those players might not be available, obviously would have like to have those other guys that were mentioned that are injured (Hutchinson etc).

DavydMT
05-14-2010, 11:19 PM
more i look at this list and list of player who will be joining national team in the next few years, more i like our chances. are we making it to world cup in 2014?

prizby
05-14-2010, 11:50 PM
bernier?

zamperina
05-15-2010, 07:21 AM
From what I can tell from this squad it seems very experimental...Which is good because that's what friendlies are for.

soussol
05-15-2010, 12:23 PM
It's nice that some new players are getting a chance, and into the system. Players I would have included (in some sort of combination, not all of them);

Hirschfeld, Stamatopolous, Monsalve, Misiewicz, Street, Beaulieu-Bourgault, Hume, Ornoch, Ricketts, Hoilett, Bunbury.

I know Scandanavia just began their season, so those players might not be available, obviously would have like to have those other guys that were mentioned that are injured (Hutchinson etc).

The problem with the CSA continues. They wait for the young players such as Bunbury to blow-up before calling them-in. Eventually, Bunbury would change his mind and join the US program. Then people on this forum is going to say Bunbury turned his back on his country.

TFC07
05-15-2010, 02:59 PM
The problem with the CSA continues. They wait for the young players such as Bunbury to blow-up before calling them-in. Eventually, Bunbury would change his mind and join the US program. Then people on this forum is going to say Bunbury turned his back on his country.

Speaking of Bunbury, how's he doing so far in the season?

J .
05-15-2010, 03:39 PM
I wish TFC would trade for Bunbury so he has to live in Canada lol

and no Canada likely will not make the 2014 WC. Not until we have an EPL quality striker, and a top flight keeper. We have a strong midfield going forward and I like how Nana is progressing, yet I firmly believe until we have a striker putting on a finishing clinic up top, we wont progress.

TFC07
05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I wish TFC would trade for Bunbury so he has to live in Canada lol

and no Canada likely will not make the 2014 WC. Not until we have an EPL quality striker, and a top flight keeper. We have a strong midfield going forward and I like how Nana is progressing, yet I firmly believe until we have a striker putting on a finishing clinic up top, we wont progress.

Not true. Canada right now on paper is one of the most talented teams in CONCACAF. The problem with Canada is coaching and chemistry (due to lack of games they play). Mexico doesn't have a quality EPL striker and top flight keeper, but yet they manage to qualify for World Cup every time.

Now that being said, Canada lacks in goalkeeping department. They desperately need a goalkeeper (Frei would look nice in Canadian uniform)

STB
05-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Mexico doesn't have a quality EPL striker and top flight keeper, but yet they manage to qualify for World Cup every time.

Ochoa has been linked with the likes of Man U so they have the keeper position sorted for quite some time to come..

Now that being said, Canada lacks in goalkeeping department. They desperately need a goalkeeper (Frei would look nice in Canadian uniform)

Said it before but surely Frei is almost eligible for citezenship ??

SilverSamurai
05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Not true. Canada right now on paper is one of the most talented teams in CONCACAF. The problem with Canada is coaching and chemistry (due to lack of games they play). Mexico doesn't have a quality EPL striker and top flight keeper, but yet they manage to qualify for World Cup every time.

Mexico also has the best domestic league outside of Europe. They don't really have a "need" for an EPL striker/keeper. Their talent pool is deep.

Chivas alone has a Mexican only squad. What other team in Europe does that? Isn't 1 of the complaints in the EPL that their are too many "foreigners"?

Ochoa has been linked with the likes of Man U so they have the keeper position sorted for quite some time to come..

Said it before but surely Frei is almost eligible for citezenship ??
Frei won't play for Canada. Let's be honest. 1st call up he gets from Switzerland and he's on the next flight out. Not that I wouldn't want him on the CMNT, but that's one of the few positions the CMNT has some depth.
Right now Lars is #1 and come GC and WCQ, he's the number 1. It's his position to lose. He's got CL experience too.
Monsalve and al-Haidar (sp?) are works in progress.