05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
link http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

Looks awesome! :scarf:

canadian_bhoy
05-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Very impressive. Good job TFC.

Pigfynn
05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry guys the link goes to an academy video the facility video is next in the lineup

rocker
05-14-2010, 11:08 AM
looks good.. i wonder how far they are willing to go in terms of distance away from BMO. Sounds like the Oakville location is a bit far (given the bus comment by PB).

sulfur
05-14-2010, 11:09 AM
And the presentation proposal itself:

http://bit.ly/dt4GiM

T_Mizz
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Sorry guys the link goes to an academy video the facility video is next in the lineup
That video was interesting too.

David_Oliveira
05-14-2010, 11:12 AM
this is a positive step forward. MLSE might be fucking clueless on picking GMs but one thing the do know how to do is give their GMs proper facilities. Look at the Leafs practise facility. It is state of the art. This seems like it is going in the same direction. Bravo MLSE now give us a proper GM

rocker
05-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I was looking at google maps trying to find areas that could handle something of this size.... that aren't too far away. hard to see... Although that proposed Lakeview park in Mississauga would be an interesting, relatively close, location.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=43.572991,-79.550693&spn=0.007664,0.021973&t=h&z=16

any thoughts?

Pigfynn
05-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Hopefully they can partner with someone close by. It would be ideal for the players if it was kept as local for them as possible.

rocker
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
eglinton flats looks close enough.. although they'd be reducing the number of fields (but with the benefit of perhaps year round fields).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&t=h&ll=43.68568,-79.502285&spn=0.003825,0.006899&z=17

Technorgasm
05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
pretty rad set-up... .

deltox
05-14-2010, 11:29 AM
it has to be in stouffville

that is all

JonO
05-14-2010, 11:41 AM
looks like a pretty sweet setup/initiative. Location, location, location?

drexel10
05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Cherry Beach area.

Chevy
05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
+1 on the Cherry Beach idea.

rocker
05-14-2010, 12:11 PM
speaking of cherry beach, is the port area once used for the Rochester ferry still in use, or just an empty lot?

Globetrotter
05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Increase in ticket prices!!!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Top Notch....great move by TFC

Auzzy
05-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Cherry Beach is pretty far from everything though. Considering you want it easy for suburban clubs to get to. Plus after they stuff the new mega-ice-rink facility in that area, they might not have much appetite for another huge sports facility.

How about the Downsview area? Doesn't look like much is happening there anyway. Also, think about the Maple Leafs/Lakeshore Lions training facility. There is a ton of property available around Toronto, near railway tracks, in former industrical areas, etc but still pretty accessible.

Honestly though, although I would love for this to be in Toronto proper (soccer facilities are mostly crap here), I think the costs and the community/political theatre are going to be too much & it will go someplace in the 905... hopefully fairly close.

kitchener-TFC
05-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Great looking facility. I know where they can put it: The lower Don Lands! Scrap the proposed 4 hockey rinks in favour of this project! :p

MUFC_Niagara
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Lots of unused space in Niagara Falls :)

Detroit_TFC
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Increase in ticket prices!!!!!!

True but a world class training facility would be worth it.

Pendrith
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I think the perfect location with be the Downsview Park location. Lots of land available and close to highway and public transportation.

FOGES
05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
it looks great, and i'm down...so long as ticket prices dont skyrocket to finance the project. its great to focus on the future/academy, and i think TFC is doing a good job of it. but lets focus on being successful now and get playoffs.

seems like every box is 'ticked' when it comes to emulating the European/S.A. club feel (ie. stadium, grass, jersey, sponsors, food, etc) ...except winning

drexel10
05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Cherry Beach is pretty far from everything though. Considering you want it easy for suburban clubs to get to. Plus after they stuff the new mega-ice-rink facility in that area, they might not have much appetite for another huge sports facility.

How about the Downsview area? Doesn't look like much is happening there anyway. Also, think about the Maple Leafs/Lakeshore Lions training facility. There is a ton of property available around Toronto, near railway tracks, in former industrical areas, etc but still pretty accessible.

Honestly though, although I would love for this to be in Toronto proper (soccer facilities are mostly crap here), I think the costs and the community/political theatre are going to be too much & it will go someplace in the 905... hopefully fairly close.

Cherry Beach is a 5-10 minute car ride for 500,000 people. The city of Toronto with the growing Urban population really lacks facilities (especially soccer) for kids to play on. Money is what might push this project out in the suburbs, otherwise there is quite a bit of unused land right in the heart of the city. Funny thing is, I played at Cherry Beach last week and thought that it would be a fantastic training/sports centre location.

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 12:32 PM
speaking of cherry beach, is the port area once used for the Rochester ferry still in use, or just an empty lot?

It's just an empty lot. With a nice building on it. The TV show The Border used the building as a set for a while.

billyfly
05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
The land is one question but doesn't the partner(s) really determine where and how fast this happens?

Yagbod
05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
The Academy stadium has a partial roof on the two long sides. Lucky buggers.

rocker
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
The Academy stadium has a partial roof on the two long sides. Lucky buggers.

I don't see a roof. I see a single bench stand on one side.

olegunnar
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Cherry Beach is pretty far from everything though. Considering you want it easy for suburban clubs to get to. .

It's acutally seconds away from the end of two major highways that service the burbs (The Gardiner/QEW and the DVP/404).

Also there's a case to be made that since the cherry beach sports fields are already packed every weekend with soccer and lacrosse tournaments that addditional fields are required there. It's packed with teams from the burbs. For example the Jammer Classic last month which had teams from all over the province. oshawa beat guelph (two burb teams) in the U-17 final.

I'm not sure that accessibility from the suburbs is an issue.

My personal issue with the area is that it's next to impossible to get to via transit.

This whole discussion though is moot though. They'll put it where the people (city/company) that pay for it will want to put it. The whole presentation strikes me as a "hey...pay for our facility...will run it...and split the profits" scheme...not unlike what they did with the NSS.

mlsintoronto
05-14-2010, 01:03 PM
It's acutally seconds away from the end of two major highways that service the burbs (The Gardiner/QEW and the DVP/404).

Also there's a case to be made that since the cherry beach sports fields are already packed every weekend with soccer and lacrosse tournaments that addditional fields are required there. It's packed with teams from the burbs. For example the Jammer Classic last month which had teams from all over the province. oshawa beat guelph (two burb teams) in the U-17 final.

I'm not sure that accessibility from the suburbs is an issue.

My personal issue with the area is that it's next to impossible to get to via transit.

This whole discussion though is moot though. They'll put it where the people (city/company) that pay for it will want to put it. The whole presentation strikes me as a "hey...pay for our facility...will run it...and split the profits" scheme...not unlike what they did with the NSS.

not quite but you're right we want a partner. We want to build what we need, and we know that many municipalities have multi field plans. We're saying we should be partners...

I'd love it to be in the portlands by the way. A little windy, and public transit could be better, but part of the city...perfect IMO. We'll see what the various suitors come up with.

JonO
05-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm curious which other municipalities may be interesting to TFC (from your perspective), if you are at liberty to say...

billyfly
05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Portlands. Make it happen Paul!

rocker
05-14-2010, 01:21 PM
public transit should eventually improve in the Portlands over time.... I read somewhere there's a proposal to extend the Queens Quay streetcar to Cherry Street... and of course if they ever really get around to building up the Portlands as the plans propose, more streetcars and buses should be added to the area. Right now it's quite a wasteland. The reason I suggested the area where the old Rochester Ferry dock was, is that it's already a developed area. I know that many of the other areas of the Portlands are contaminated and would need lots of soil work... plus given the politics about land use planning around there, it might be best to stick with a lot that already had something built on it.

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 02:00 PM
^ And it is a great location.

DichioTFC
05-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Great move by TFC and MLSE. Putting the tools in place for future success cannot be questioned.

I noticed that the 1000-2000 stadium would be enough to seat all members of the supporter groups... possibly for a TFC v. Academy pre-season friendly in the future? Supporter group members only?
:D

billyfly
05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Could the Portlands be too windy though?

Broadview
05-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Could the Portlands be too windy though?

Windy like BMO!

The terminal for the old Rochester ferry has been getting some use lately by riot cops practicing for the G20.

Cherry Beach is the best dog park in the city, I go there all the time. It would be cool if I could snoop in on practice when I went down there.

Shakes McQueen
05-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Looks fantastic Paul. Glad to see MLSE looking to invest more money in making the TFC training and academy facilities a shining example for the rest of MLS - much like BMO Field was for a while.

Said it before, I'll say it again: I don't think MLSE are "cheap". You can blame their oversight structure for competitive incompetence, and you can accuse them of being cautious with expenditures, but cheap they are not.

How much do you guesstimate a facility like this will cost to build, Paul?

- Scott

Don Julio
05-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Build a new island!

DichioTFC
05-14-2010, 02:37 PM
How much do you guesstimate a facility like this will cost to build, Paul?

- Scott
The Leafs training facility cost $45M. It should be cheaper to build a few soccer pitches, one with proper grass / drainage. I'm guessing 25-30M range.

But it all depends on how much can be acquired from willing partners.

drewski
05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
but, but, I thought MLSE is evil and never spends any money on anything to improve the club or attract talent :rolleyes:

Carts
05-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Downsview Park...?

Is the big open space there big enough...?

Carts...

JonO
05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Parc Downsview Park is huge, unless they've already parceled off too much for big box stores already. It's a pretty good fit space-wise, but access is not the best...

billyfly
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
^Only build it at Downview if they eliminate the Dufferin St jog.

mlsintoronto
05-14-2010, 02:57 PM
The Leafs training facility cost $45M. It should be cheaper to build a few soccer pitches, one with proper grass / drainage. I'm guessing 25-30M range.

But it all depends on how much can be acquired from willing partners.

Land values / location are the big wildcards here. it all depends. Its very early days yet...we just want to see whats out there.

Carts
05-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Land values / location are the big wildcards here. it all depends. Its very early days yet...we just want to see whats out there.

Long way to go - but you have to start somewhere...

Very impressive plans and ideas...

I hope it happens as quickly as possible (dont worry, when I say quick, I know its a long way from becoming a reality)...

Another big step in the right direction... Well done...

Carts...

JonO
05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
^ Yeah - welcome to the "Happy" thread ;)

TFC Cityboy
05-14-2010, 03:34 PM
further proof that there are good and smart people at this club who see that the way forward is thru developing a conveyer belt of talent to graduate to the first team (like Manchester City, West Ham, Villa and Boro in the UK).

No doubt, the usual MLSE bashers will find something to complain about tho'
:)

tfcmanu
05-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I take the Go train Barrie north and I see Downsview it looks like there adding another Soccer field bringing it to 2 fields, maybe this is a possibility with the Downsview Subway for easy accessibility.

bgnewf
05-14-2010, 03:52 PM
With BMO Field now converted to a grass pitch the community use aspect of the stadium now can’t be met without destroying the playing surface. This means that if constructed, this new facility will include at least two grass fields (and a small stadium for the Academy to play), FieldTurf fields with 365 days availability with the installation of winter bubbles, and an indoor field enclosed within a field house. The plan is to use it as the home of the Academy, TFC’s permanent training facility, and also cater to some of the community usage that now can’t be accommodated at BMO Field.

The “partners” aspect of the proposal is a little vague but it be targeted for example at a municipality that would be interested in offering land and/or funding. It could also be like the scenario for the Maple Leafs where MasterCard purchased naming rights to their new training facility last year.

Hopefully this announcement once and for all shuts up the MLSE naysayers who say they are not interested in spending money on their club. Questioning their hiring policies is a valid critique (Mo Johnston anyone???), but cheap they are certainly not.

An excerpt from my blog about this today. This is great news

tfc2007
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
When is the expected start of this project?

Whoop
05-14-2010, 03:56 PM
I'll bash it if it isn't built in the City of Toronto. LOL

:D

denime
05-14-2010, 04:02 PM
How about Downsview park?

They have already 2 turf fields and they are building another 3 ,one of them with track & field,all you have to do is biuld natural grass fields and you are go to go ;)

Whoop
05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
But isn't Downsview Park federal land?

Kaz
05-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I think the East End of Brampton on the Vaughn border right near the junction of the 407/427 wouldn't be too bad, and it's Public Transit accessible from the TTC, Mississauga Transit, York Transit, and Brampton Transit.
Not overly far for anyone.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.765841,-79.639935&spn=0.011328,0.016565&t=h&z=16

rocktml
05-14-2010, 04:28 PM
no no no we need a roof

TFC07
05-14-2010, 04:31 PM
I think the East End of Brampton on the Vaughn border right near the junction of the 407/427 wouldn't be too bad, and it's Public Transit accessible from the TTC, Mississauga Transit, York Transit, and Brampton Transit.
Not overly far for anyone.

http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.765841,-79.639935&spn=0.011328,0.016565&t=h&z=16

Hey, I live close there!

But yeah, there is a lot of land in that area. Also I assume it will be cheap to purchase land there compare to downtown Toronto.

rocker
05-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Build a new island!

or use Muggs Island or Olympic Island.. then buy a big yacht, dock it at Ontario Place, then shuttle the TFC players over on the yacht! ;)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=43.624147,-79.381843&spn=0.014414,0.027595&t=h&z=15

rocker
05-14-2010, 04:39 PM
I wonder if York U might make a proposal for this.. they are always grabbing shit that comes up (tennis stadium, trying to get soccer and Argos up there, Archives of Ontario).
The subway is coming, so it might be a decent spot for public transit, with a willing partner. They haven't done anything with the lands up there that already have fields. Might be a little tight in the corner though, and with the subway coming that area could be crazy busy with construction.

menefreghista
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't think there's enough room at York U. unless you want to build 1 field only and you will still have to allow their football team to use it as well.

Not sure why they don't just retrofit an existing place, like the Ontario Soccer Centre.

DichioTFC
05-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I wonder if York U might make a proposal for this.. they are always grabbing shit that comes up (tennis stadium, trying to get soccer and Argos up there, Archives of Ontario).
The subway is coming, so it might be a decent spot for public transit, with a willing partner. They haven't done anything with the lands up there that already have fields. Might be a little tight in the corner though, and with the subway coming that area could be crazy busy with construction.

I like the York U idea, central location, the space is there, subway coming eventually, but property values are questionable. Having the training facility near *gasp* Jane and Finch (north side of Finch, between 400 & Jane) would have cheaper property value, revitalize the area (which is a good way for MLSE to acquire sorely needed goodwill) and market its product to a demographic that is not yet consuming.

The administrators at York U can rent it and host Canadian University tournaments / play their home games there.

Wherever it is located, I think the best thing to do is to put it in a highly visible area and increase the reach / frequency of marketing in that segment. When I lived in BC, the BC Lions put their practice field in Surrey (suburb of Vancouver) but it wasn't readily visible except remotely by SkyTrain.

Kaz
05-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Jane and Steeles might have enough space right at the 400 and 407 crossing. I don't think Jane and Finch has enough undeveloped land.

The other location that is not further then 407/427 or the 401/407 would be in Oakville right beside the Drive in near the ford plant, on Ninth Line.

but of all the area's suggested the old Generating plant area in Mississauga is the closest and most available. But has some environmental clean up. It would be a neat way to use that land though.

427 and rexdale right behind Woodbine is another location with enough land. (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lakeshore+Rd+E%2FON-2+E%2FOntario+King%27s+Hwy&daddr=Bmo+Field,+Toronto,+Ontario&hl=en&geocode=Ffj9mAId4hdC-w%3BFUfImQId4ylE-yHB-tdr4EausA&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=11&sll=43.63856,-79.568481&sspn=0.363255,0.53009&ie=UTF8&ll=43.71538,-79.610667&spn=0.022674,0.033131&t=h&z=15)

billyfly
05-14-2010, 07:47 PM
But isn't Downsview Park federal land?

No. They gave it to the city ac ouple of years ago and said do what you want. There is an org/body that takes care of it now.

James17930
05-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Now can this finally put to rest all the 'MLSE won't spend money' crap?

James17930
05-14-2010, 09:21 PM
No. They gave it to the city ac ouple of years ago and said do what you want. There is an org/body that takes care of it now.

Yeah, and they've done nothing with it.

Downsview would be perfect, actually.

stoked
05-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Downsview is my vote..Plenty of space, close to the 401, close to a subway station. Already has 3 outdoor fields and several indoor fields in the hanger..Already owned by the government, and was supposed to be a sportsplex back in the day, hotel and business centre across the street, extremely close to a community in need of public/private funds..If it could handle sars stock and the Pope and multiple concerts, it could more than handle a TFC training ground..

Plus a Toronto Adult soccer league runs their business out of there, you'll have no problem with permitting the space. Using the hanger as an example..

AND AND there's an airport there, for those high profile friendlies...

AND it's also close to the North York Astros, instant rivalry.

Please choose downsview

Cashcleaner
05-14-2010, 11:41 PM
When I got up this afternoon and checked my email, I was STUNNED beyond belief when I saw the email from TFC outlining the new practise facility. In all honesty, I've never seen such an ambitious plan put forward before by any Toronto sports club in a very long time. I know I can be awfully critical of the club at times, but this development is one huge step forward for our team and the sport in Toronto and I'm really pleased that MLSE went all-out for this.

This facility does more than provide the obvious benefits for the club and city, it also represents a commitment by ownership and management. And THAT speaks volumes to me.

Paul and his crew did very good by this.

AL-MO
05-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Downsview is my vote..Plenty of space, close to the 401, close to a subway station. Already has 3 outdoor fields and several indoor fields in the hanger..Already owned by the government, and was supposed to be a sportsplex back in the day, hotel and business centre across the street, extremely close to a community in need of public/private funds..If it could handle sars stock and the Pope and multiple concerts, it could more than handle a TFC training ground..

Plus a Toronto Adult soccer league runs their business out of there, you'll have no problem with permitting the space. Using the hanger as an example..

AND AND there's an airport there, for those high profile friendlies...

AND it's also close to the North York Astros, instant rivalry.

Please choose downsview

I can't see it being there. If Downsview Park did that they would basically be bringing in a competitor to one of their best revenue generating tenants/facilities.

I haven't seen their plan for the area in a few years, but I don't think its part of it. As you said they have The Hangar and 2 outdoor turf fields already on site.

EDIT: reading some of the posts in this thread it is a possibility. But I am still sceptical.

AL-MO
05-15-2010, 12:46 AM

They didn't quite give it to the City, but yeah its not federal land anymore.

Keystone FC
05-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Wasn't part of the deal for getting grass at BMO was a community field in the city of Toronto like the ones in the presentation. If that's the case then this training ground, to me, has to be placed somewhere within the city limits and close to the downtown area.

Flipityflu
05-15-2010, 09:21 AM
cherry beach would be good. major transportation hub in a redeveloping area. the donlands is being used for the pan am games, then being converted into residential afterwoods. that whole area is going to change significantly in the next 5 years.

rocker
05-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Wasn't part of the deal for getting grass at BMO was a community field in the city of Toronto like the ones in the presentation. If that's the case then this training ground, to me, has to be placed somewhere within the city limits and close to the downtown area.

the grass for community fields deal is completely separate deal from this training ground plan. They can put this training ground wherever -- doesn't have to be in Toronto. Although for convenience it'd be best to have it there.

menefreghista
05-15-2010, 09:48 AM

The deal to put the bubble on Lamport pretty much took care of any community use requirements.

Razcle
05-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Nice Find. This looks quite impressive and adds to our list of accomplishemnts that at the club that have not won us an MLS CUP. I do understand that this should help us in that quest, however we alll want to see a playoff game at BMO and win now.

TFCRegina
05-15-2010, 01:44 PM
further proof that there are good and smart people at this club who see that the way forward is thru developing a conveyer belt of talent to graduate to the first team (like Manchester City, West Ham, Villa and Boro in the UK).

And unlike all those clubs, there's a higher marginal benefit to Canadian soccer.

There's no shortage of proper academies and training facilities in England to develop English talent, but here they're as scarce as rain in the Sahara.

Good on MLSE to take the initiative, this will put TFC on par with the Whitecaps FC for best academy program in North America.

FluSH
05-15-2010, 01:49 PM
How do you attract the hottest chicks in town? With the best God damn vehicle and rims that money can buy you...

How do you attract the best Futbol players in North America? You send out Paul Bernie on a Mission to build the best Training Facility in the Continent.

:scarf:

This is Biblical... Anyone who calls MLSE cheap needs to realize that a new Gospel has been written with TFC.... this is motherfcuking it.

TFCRegina
05-15-2010, 01:56 PM
How do you attract the hottest chicks in town? With the best God damn vehicle and rims that money can buy you...

How do you attract the best Futbol players in North America? You send out Paul Bernie on a Mission to build the best Training Facility in the Continent.

This is Biblical... Anyone who calls MLSE cheap needs to realize that a new Gospel has been written with TFC.... this is motherfcuking it.

With the exception of original construction of BMO, TFC has never been cheap. They spend at or near the cap, they've expanded the stadium, they've installed grass.

You can't even accuse them of being cheap with the Leafs or the Raptors...

It's shoddy management, not a lack of will to win or spend at the level required to win.

Cashcleaner
05-15-2010, 08:54 PM

I was trying to be diplomatic, but you're absolutely right, Flushie. The plans I've seen on the PDF are beyond impressive. They're fucking off-the-hook! Throw in the fact of how many community groups and/or schools will benefit from the facility and you'll see how Toronto has quickly become the top contender for the soccer capital of Canada.

mmmikey
05-28-2010, 10:19 AM
i would love downsview park as the target... anything that might get more occasional drop ins to pickup footy games at the hanger... although rohan never passed the ball when he got it.

bene89
05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
UTSC

rocker
05-28-2010, 12:37 PM
UTSC

that'd make De Ro happy.

Cas87
05-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I'd say downsview, but only after the Pan Am stadium crap is sorted out (b/c I feel taht the stadium would fit perfectly there and be the new home of the argos)

The alternative location I say would be somewhere on the waterfront from Oakville towards Mimico, I am sure enough land could be found to fit in what they want

boban
05-28-2010, 02:24 PM
it fell through as TFC wanted something in Etobicoke but Pantilone said nyet.
hence this is a whole new fresh approach that doesn't necessarily have to be in the Toronto city limits.

boban
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Sad way to pick up chicks if you ask me.
I get hot chicks and I drive a clunker.

boban
05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
I'd say downsview, but only after the Pan Am stadium crap is sorted out (b/c I feel taht the stadium would fit perfectly there and be the new home of the argos)

The alternative location I say would be somewhere on the waterfront from Oakville towards Mimico, I am sure enough land could be found to fit in what they want
Mississauga would be perfect. Hazel needs to jump on this to get Missy some 1st rate facilities and finally once and for all a stadium of some kind.

TFC07
05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Mississauga would be perfect. Hazel needs to jump on this to get Missy some 1st rate facilities and finally once and for all a stadium of some kind.

Where in Mississauga should TFC build a training facility?

DichioTFC
05-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Hershey Center area? Tons of open space.

jazzy
05-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Toronto is lacking, sports facilities....unless you want all these kids to grow up not playing sports and doing whatever, there are just too many underprivelged kids, without even frigin grass in their schoolyards....In miss, schools have grass fields..large fields.....smart choice for society and inner city, has to be Toronto.....

DichioTFC
05-28-2010, 04:43 PM
^ agree. but the training facility is a private development for private purposes. societal needs are secondary when the Almighty Dollar is involved.

boban
05-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Hershey Center area? Tons of open space.
There is?

boban
05-28-2010, 05:43 PM
West Mississauga by the lake .. southdown rd area.
There also may be some room by the lake west of Dixie.
Might also have a chance to build it in the north west where 407 and 401 get real close by Meadowvale Blvd and Winston Churchill.

Cas87
05-28-2010, 10:19 PM

For some reason I'd say that either Hazel has put Mississauga's name in for the Pan Am stadium if it falls through in Hamilton.
And ...
I have a feeling that if it does not come to Mississauga Hershey area, the fields behind IceLand would be removed for the new TFC facility

RicoSuave44
05-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Downsview seems unlikely. Inner 905 seems ideal... but I'd bet half the Academy kids (and the lowest earning first teamers) cannot afford or don't have a car. How do these players get to practice everyday?

twistedchinaman
05-31-2010, 02:31 AM
What about...oh, dunno...Scarborough?

twistedchinaman
05-31-2010, 02:32 AM
Downsview seems unlikely. Inner 905 seems ideal... but I'd bet half the Academy kids (and the lowest earning first teamers) cannot afford or don't have a car. How do these players get to practice everyday?

Why is Downsview unlikely? It's on the subway, and is inside the city. Much better travel wise than inner 905.

I know I am limited on my Toronto-area geography, but still...

Macksam
05-31-2010, 09:20 AM
Academy is residency now or something like that.

bene89
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
What about...oh, dunno...Scarborough?

Two of our best players grew up there (three when Serioux was here), future transit plans service it...

billyfly
10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
I wonder if how crappy TFC's fortunes appear right now, will this be affected?

Macksam
10-11-2010, 10:10 PM
How do you see it being affected?

MG42
10-11-2010, 10:16 PM

I don't think so...IMO they see this as a factory to produce and sell players, not to necessarily improve TFC lol

Macksam
10-11-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think so...IMO they see this as a factory to produce and sell players, not to necessarily improve TFC lol
Well, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

billyfly
10-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Its been real quiet on this front and I'm surprised.

menefreghista
10-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Its been real quiet on this front and I'm surprised.

We do know that Paul Beirne is traveling the world looking at other teams training facilities.

We also know that TFC is trying to extract as much money and land from one of the GTA municipalities to help build their training facility.

rocker
10-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Paul Beirne was in a number of countries last week examining Euro teams' training facilities.

So I guess it has no effect.

billyfly
10-12-2010, 09:40 AM
^Is that info from his twitter? I guess that would answer my question then.

menefreghista
10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
^Is that info from his twitter? I guess that would answer my question then.

While fans are upset about the season ticket prices he just happened to set up a nice trip for himself.

Darlofletch
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
We do know that Paul Beirne is traveling the world looking at other teams training facilities.

We also know that TFC is trying to extract as much money and land from one of the GTA municipalities to help build their training facility.

That right there is the key to all this. MLSE doesn't build things and pay for things itself.

menefreghista
10-12-2010, 10:05 AM
That right there is the key to all this. MLSE doesn't build things and pay for things itself.

Except for the ACC. But that building had very little risk with two major tenants and with Toronto being one of the best concert cities on the continent.

boban
10-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Except for the ACC. But that building had very little risk with two major tenants and with Toronto being one of the best concert cities on the continent.
It was also well under construction when they took it over with the purchase of the Raptors.

billyfly
10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
A little bird told me this is the case with the expanded BMO plans. They are trying to get Pan Am games money to help fund the build.

MLSE likes partners.

rocker
10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
While fans are upset about the season ticket prices he just happened to set up a nice trip for himself.

Yeah, he should have cancelled academy site viewing trips to console season ticket holders every week since the prices were announced. ;)

rocker
10-12-2010, 10:35 AM
A little bird told me this is the case with the expanded BMO plans. They are trying to get Pan Am games money to help fund the build.

MLSE likes partners.

makes good business sense. If the government is giving away money, might as well take it. Otherwise it'll go to Hamilton or somewhere!

menefreghista
10-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah, he should have cancelled academy site viewing trips to console season ticket holders every week since the prices were announced. ;)

I find it hard to believe he couldn't do this trip any other time.

But its not surprising you are here to defend MLSE.

DichioTFC
10-12-2010, 11:23 AM

I would hope the reason for the trip's urgency was because something immediate was on the horizon, or at least developing (i.e. potential sponsors wanted information on potential alternatives, PB doing site visits and fact finding missions to acquire said information).

If PB's main task is this facility, he should be there. Lets get the foundation for our club done and then we can look to our future IMO.

Suds
10-12-2010, 11:58 AM

But its not surprising you are here to defend MLSE.

The timing may have not been up to him. He is visiting with other clubs and personnel there. That can affect the timing of the trip. There would be no point in going if he could not meet the right people and get access to the facilities he wanted to see.

We're all just speculating here.

menefreghista
10-12-2010, 12:03 PM
We're all just speculating here.

Obviously.

But I just find it interesting that Paul Beirne made him self scarce at a time when season ticket holders want answers.

DichioTFC
10-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Obviously.

But I just find it interesting that Paul Beirne made him self scarce at a time when season ticket holders want answers.

This is what happens when you go to the Mo Johnston School of Mismanagement

Huyton
10-12-2010, 01:38 PM
It could be that PB went because there were differences in the bids from the three sites shortlisted in August.

Visiting places with good academies during the international break may have allowed him more time to speak to people in Europe, when the pressure was off a bit, and yet still allow him to see what they go through on a daily basis.

Rather than castigating MLSE for needlessly spending money, perhaps we should be congratulating them on doing as much "due diligence" as they can so they can make the best possible decision going forward.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I want to see from TFC, if they want to establish themselves as the best on the continent.