PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Friday,May 14

denime
05-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Mornin'

With Preki, motivation not an issue (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/james-on-soccer/with-preki-motivation-not-an-issue/article1568129/)

Preki Says It's Not Over Yet (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/preki-says-its-not-over-yet)

Toronto Arrives In LA (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/toronto-arrives-la)

Timing is everything (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/05/13/dobson_timing/)

The Galaxy is on fire (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/13/13942301.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

bgnewf
05-14-2010, 06:13 AM
TFC v Montreal - Post Game V-Blog

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/tfc-v-montreal-post-game-v-blog/

In this video I talk about the Montreal match in detail, why this game will likely me representative of what TFC looks like for the rest of the season, why Mo Johnston should not be let off the hook just yet and PANINI time is here!

Comments always welcome.

TFC_Junky
05-14-2010, 07:03 AM
I don't really want to slam Preki yet as I believe he's done a good job so far to turn things around for this team but quotes like this make me question what game he was watching in Montreal...

"I always knew Nick would do a good job for us because he is experienced and is a hard guy to play against."

Seriously, I'm tired of bitching about Garcia (he is what he is) but what did Preki see that none of us have?!

Technorgasm
05-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Perfect summary:
James writes really well, I love his blog and the apt. player ratings. I will def subscribe to it.

On the night, Toronto FC defended appropriately keeping tight lines from back to front while rarely high pressuring with their strikers. Allowing the Impact enough space in their own end to initially build up play worked for TFC. Whenever the Impact entered TFC’s half they lacked any kind of real creativity to stress the backline or midfield of Toronto. Within a pass or two, or a dribble and cross, Toronto would pick up the ball and either keep possession more competently or counter attack directly. As the game wore on there was a noticeable difference between the sides. When in possession, TFC were neat, tidy and threatening, while the Impact were timid and unimaginative.

maninb
05-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't really want to slam Preki yet as I believe he's done a good job so far to turn things around for this team but quotes like this make me question what game he was watching in Montreal...

Seriously, I'm tired of bitching about Garcia (he is what he is) but what did Preki see that none of us have?!

I'm willing to give Preki the benefit of the doubt here...he knows Garcia is shite, and so is Herskanovits (sp), but with Gargan and Harden injured his hand was kinda forced to play one of those mopes, and this time he chose Garcia...not much else he could do....

TFC_Junky
05-14-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm willing to give Preki the benefit of the doubt here...he knows Garcia is shite, and so is Herskanovits (sp), but with Gargan and Harden injured his hand was kinda forced to play one of those mopes, and this time he chose Garcia...not much else he could do....

Fare enought I guess, but wasn't Garcia playing at LB? I still think Hscanovics is a better (and safer) bet. Plus, the exposure is just going to make him improve.

Gazza
05-14-2010, 08:42 AM
What's the over/under on Landycakes getting a goal from the spot tomorrow?

I can't wait to see him kissing his hands!

scooter
05-14-2010, 08:47 AM
mornin d

Whoop
05-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Hopefully there is some truth to this.

From a management point of view, the toughest part of Preki’s job has been done: changing the culture and creating a winning mentality. Behind the scenes, some people - including a few players - may not have been happy at the transformation and uncompromising approach by Preki, but now there are more believers. In getting through the turmoil the team clearly has a fighting and disciplined spirit which will bold well for them as they face an early season benchmark test in the form of the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Shaughno
05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Hopefully there is some truth to this.

Agreed, and a great article in it's entirety actually.

P-NUTZ
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
I suspect preki feels enough pity for garcia that he wants to give him nibbles of time on the pitch when he thinks he can get away with it - Garcia's getting paid anyway, and unfortunately he wont just dissappear. Hopefully though, Preki realizes that LA is not a game to get cute with crappers like Garcia on the field cause they will exploit him horribly. Luckily the Impact were crap enough to give that fool his playing time without costing us the game.

jloome
05-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I suspect preki feels enough pity for garcia that he wants to give him nibbles of time on the pitch when he thinks he can get away with it - Garcia's getting paid anyway, and unfortunately he wont just dissappear. Hopefully though, Preki realizes that LA is not a game to get cute with crappers like Garcia on the field cause they will exploit him horribly. Luckily the Impact were crap enough to give that fool his playing time without costing us the game.

I think he knows the kind of mistakes Garcia has been making for the last two seasons were atypical for his entire career and believes it's a result of lack of confidence and, therefore, competitive focus on Garcia's part. So he's building up his confidence. And, aside from the truly shite clearance that thankfully didn't cost us a goal, he was alright.

I suspect, however, that the errors are partly due to age and the fact that making quick decisions is as much a physical factor as a mental one. But he needs him for now as a backup at least, so he's going to err on the side of optimism. It kinda makes sense in a "fuck, I wish he'd just go finish his career somewhere else" kinda way.

keem-o-sabi
05-14-2010, 11:49 AM
coed ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/13/miss-coed-caitlin-hixx/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/14/miss-coed-carly-fridell/)

bgnewf
05-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Friday Potpourri – Training Ground – The Academy - Leeds United – TFC @ The LA Galaxy on Saturday Night

Happy Friday one and all!

I want to comment upon a few new developments from today’s news

TFC’s announcement of plans for a new training facility
The Club Academy Program – A Great Development
Two Leeds United Players linked to TFC are released
TFC out west to play the best team so far this season in MLS

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com

Your comments always welcomed!

TFC Announces Plans for New training facility

With BMO Field now converted to a grass pitch the community use aspect of the stadium now can’t be met without destroying the playing surface. This means that if constructed, this new facility will include at least two grass fields (and a small stadium for the Academy to play), FieldTurf fields with 365 days availability with the installation of winter bubbles, and an indoor field enclosed within a field house. The plan is to use it as the home of the Academy, TFC’s permanent training facility, and also cater to some of the community usage that now can’t be accommodated at BMO Field.

The “partners” aspect of the proposal is a little vague but it be targeted for example at a municipality that would be interested in offering land and/or funding. It could also be like the scenario for the Maple Leafs where MasterCard purchased naming rights to their new training facility last year.

Hopefully this announcement once and for all shuts up the MLSE naysayers who say they are not interested in spending money on their club. Questioning their hiring policies is a valid critique (Mo Johnston anyone???), but cheap they are certainly not.

Club Academy Program – A Great Development

Toronto FC also announced earlier today the creation of its Club Academy Program (CAP), which they envision a technical partnership with youth clubs in Ontario where youth players can benefit from access to the training regimes and facilities of the TFC Academy and possibly of course graduate 16 year olds into the Academy program directly if the kids are up to snuff. Clubs from Barrie, Thunder Bay, Ottawa and The Great Toronto Area for example have already signed up, which is really good to see. Kids in affiliated programs I guess will have a leg up in perhaps getting into the Academy.

It will be interesting to see if some of the more established clubs in Ontario see this as either a piece of good news for their players or TFC poaching their players.

Two Leeds United Players linked to TFC are released

The Yorkshire Evening Post newspaper is reporting today that frequently TFC linked striker Paul Dickov has been released by Leeds United in advance of this weekend's deadline for the submission of retained lists of players to the league. Angolan International and centre back Rui Marques has also been released.

Marques was quoted in the paper as stating that he has been offered a deal by TFC but his immediate plans are to try and catch on somewhere in the English Championship level. Don’t hold your breath on him coming here TFC fans. Dickov I still feel is coming, and that his arrival is only a matter of time. I would not be surprised to see him in Toronto very soon. The debate has already begun on if he is a worthwhile addition. I think if he is offered a contract by TFC it will be only until the end of this season and that, if the money is right, it might be a good piece of business. He is no Thierry Henry (rumoured to be signing with New York) but he can in my estimation still play and his experience and professionalism could do wonders for the development of O’Brien White and Chad Barrett.

TFC v Galaxy

A big task on Saturday night as TFC goes west to play the undefeated and, so far this season, rampant LA Galaxy. Toronto’s two Slavic fullbacks (Hscanovic and Usanov) have struggled at times in 2010 and the pace and skill of players like Buddle and “Landycakes” Landon Donovan will likely give them fits. Preki has some choices at the back, but none of them without risk. He could go with the status quo and take his chances. Or, if fit, Dan Gargan could spell one of the fullbacks. Sam Cronin could be deputized to play fullback as well or maybe (gulp) Garcia could play with Cann in the centre of the defence and Attakora could play the fullback role.

In either respect it will be a mighty ask for Toronto to keep LA from running away with the game. TFC has shown on the last couple of games that the up front group of White and Barrett, with DeRo tucked in behind them can be lethal on the counter. If TFC is to get anything from this game it will probably come in this fashion. As I said before the RSL game, I would be over the moon with a draw.

I will be posting a video blog early on Sunday. Have a great weekend everybody.

ag futbol
05-14-2010, 04:16 PM
^ That all looks to be great news.

There are definitely some big opportunities to graduate some players onto the sr roster in the long run as there's plenty of available talent in the GTA. It's a matter of getting to it early and refining it.

Suds
05-14-2010, 04:34 PM
^ That all looks to be great news.

There are definitely some big opportunities to graduate some players onto the sr roster in the long run as there's plenty of available talent in the GTA. It's a matter of getting to it early and refining it.

I have not taken the time to get into the details of TFC's Club Academy Program, but on the surface the idea sounds great.

Engage the local clubs, share resources, knowledge, training methods, etc. This sound like a win-win. I hope coaches and trainers are also going to be able to take advantage of this. Good on TFC for getting directly involved with grass-roots soccer in this way.