PDA

View Full Version : Henry pre-contract with Red Bulls???

Ladies Love Julius James
05-14-2010, 12:14 AM
I don't like posting links from the Sun but this is fairly big. Take it with a grain of salt though.

Shameless plug: www.juliusjames.blogspot.com (http://www.juliusjames.blogspot.com)

http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/rumor-henry-has-signed-pre-contract-with-red-bulls/9015

Oblio2
05-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Henry can suck my left nut

I'll wait for the proverbial "He'll tear tis league apart" post....

Ladies Love Julius James
05-14-2010, 12:17 AM
It's all over the comment section of that Sun article LOL

twistedchinaman
05-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Whatever.

sulfur
05-14-2010, 05:09 AM
He'll tear tis league apart
He'll tear this league apart.

Then he'll suck Oblio2's right nut. Just to spite him. :D

torontocelt
05-14-2010, 06:37 AM
He'll tear this league apart.

Then he'll suck Oblio2's right nut. Just to spite him. :D

Henry would indeed tear this league a new one as long as he remained interested. His move to Barcelona was more successful than I thought, he scored almost one goal every two games which is impressive. There is no shame in being pushed out of Barca as they have such a strong squad, Henry is far from done but for me he should hold off coming here for another couple of seasons, he could still do a fantastic job at big clubs in Europe.

brad
05-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Henry playing off Angel could be a deadly combo - if they can fit both under the cap without sacrificing too much quality.

Shouldn't be a problem though, as we are helping them out by picking up some their salary ...

bgnewf
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Henry playing off Angel could be a deadly combo - if they can fit both under the cap without sacrificing too much quality.

Shouldn't be a problem though, as we are helping them out by picking up some their salary ...

That thought sickens me.

I am a huge Arsenal fan and Henry was a wonderful servant for the Gunners. Not being able to get a game at Barca is no shame at all.

Yes he would tear this league apart. Whether Red Bull as a team would prosper with him is another issue altogether.

drewski
05-14-2010, 07:57 AM
with the quality of reffing in the league, his hand will outscore TFC (excluding DeRo)

jaxul
05-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Should be good for the league if this materializes. Maybe it will attract more europeans to come over and play in the MLS. The only thing I hope is that he will give his best if he comes...not just be on a vacation like Beckham.

Section 117
05-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Book it this has been done for a while now. A friend of mine with insinder knowledge of the MLS advised me that his contract was done in late December early January

Belfast_Boy
05-14-2010, 08:22 AM
cool, if it happens I'd love to see him play.

habstfc
05-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Nobody in new york cares about soccer, that's the truth. He may be a success on the pitch, but I don't think this is going to mean automatic sellouts for the red bulls. They're playing great football right now (except the 4-0 blowout by S.J.) and they are nowhere near selling out. At least beckham was near a household name in the u.s. but who the hell knows who thierry henry is? In baseball crazy new york, it's too easy for the red bulls to get lost.

tfcleeds
05-14-2010, 08:43 AM
Schelotto? Landycakes? This guy will become my personal public enemy #1 in MLS if he signs.

scut farkus
05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
I really don't understand how they can fit Henry, Ze Roberto (also mentioned in the article) and Angel all under the cap...even with the new "three DP" rule.

habstfc
05-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think they can fit those 3 under the cap. You have to take these rumours with a grain of salt.

jaahuuu
05-14-2010, 08:50 AM
What the hell is a pre-contract?

MartinUtd
05-14-2010, 08:52 AM
We've got rip him for that hand ball when he shows up at BMO. I'm imagining something to the tune of Sloop John B.

scut farkus
05-14-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't think then can fit those 3 under the cap. You have to take these rumours with a grain of salt.

Ze Roberto was also mentioned on "The Daily" on MLSSoccer.com and Henry is a perpetual rumour. I'm not taking this as a done deal or anything, I'm just curious that none of the rumours/reports ever question the economics of it...

Section 117
05-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Henry will be getting approx. $6 million. Only half of the $325K (I think) will go against the cap as per the new CBA.

In the event that the Shite Bulls sign a third DP it wouldn't count against the cap. They have to pay the league $250k

Lucky Strike
05-14-2010, 09:11 AM
What the hell is a pre-contract?

Just means signing a future contract (with a different club) that will come into effect when the player's current contract expires. Typically, you can only do this if your contract is about to run out in 1 or 2 months' time. With most European contracts ending on 30 June, the timing is about right for this piece of news to make sense.

jaxul
05-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Some teams sign Henry, we sign JDG...

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I really don't understand how they can fit Henry, Ze Roberto (also mentioned in the article) and Angel all under the cap...even with the new "three DP" rule.

There really is no such thing as a salary cap, it's just an excuse owners who don't want to spend money use. MLS will ALWAYS find a way to accomodate owners who want to bring in big-name players.

MartinUtd
05-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Cry me a river. I fully support the JDG signing and it sucks to think that his contributions are going unnoticed because he's not potting goals.

habstfc
05-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Oh here come the JDG haters.

jaxul
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Cry me a river. I fully support the JDG signing and it sucks to think that his contributions are going unnoticed because he's not potting goals.

My point was just that there is better talent out there for us to use our DP spots. I wish TFC management would make a real splash for once. The only one I've seen so far is DeRo. With all due respect JDG's play is quite average and one could name at least 10 other guys around the league making 1/4 of what he does and playing just as good. Granted he doesn't have a stellar cast around him but still. Anyways, I digress. This thread was about Henry. We can carry on with this debate on another thread :)

Redcoe15
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Nobody in new york cares about soccer, that's the truth. He may be a success on the pitch, but I don't think this is going to mean automatic sellouts for the red bulls. They're playing great football right now (except the 4-0 blowout by S.J.) and they are nowhere near selling out. At least beckham was near a household name in the u.s. but who the hell knows who thierry henry is? In baseball crazy new york, it's too easy for the red bulls to get lost.
And that's why MLS thinks adding a second New York team makes perfect sense. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

OneLoveOneEric
05-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm not a JDG hater by any means, so don't discount the people that find this disappointing as haters. The plain fact is that JDG and Henry aren't in the same stratosphere, and it is certainly frustrating to see our well-supported, well-funded team not having the initiative to pull of a move like this.
It's not a shot at JDG at all. It's a shot at the lack of ambition shown by our management and ownership.

jaxul
05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Oh here come the JDG haters.

I would replace "JDG haters" with "TFC management haters". My issue is that other teams always find better talent to sign. If JDG was the best talent we could sign then I wouldn't make any waves but I am convinced we could have done better and other teams prove this time and time again. JDG is a decent player, no question.

JonO
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I hate to play this card, but let me know when a team other than NY or LA signs a big star. We aren't able to offer significantly more than an LA or NY would be in terms of $$. I thik a lot of people underestimate the pull of NY or LA on a European player looking to come play soccer in America.

MartinUtd
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
10 midfielders playing better than JDG not including wingers and attacking mids? Come on, you're out to lunch. As much as I liked Guevara and Robo in our mid, we're in a much better position now with JDG.

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
My point was just that there is better talent out there for us to use our DP spots. I wish TFC management would make a real splash for once. The only one I've seen so far is DeRo. With all due respect JDG's play is quite average and one could name at least 10 other guys around the league making 1/4 of what he does and playing just as good. Granted he doesn't have a stellar cast around him but still. Anyways, I digress. This thread was about Henry. We can carry on with this debate on another thread :)

We can agree on that, can't we? This team has the money, what's stopping them?

Chevy
05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
You can't compare the two players on many fronts. But on salary alone, Henry won't be coming over here for JDG money (900k).

rocker
05-14-2010, 09:46 AM
it's about creating a good team not signing a big star. Juan Pablo Angel barely got them into the playoffs that year they lucked out and made it to MLS Cup. Then the year after, Juan Pablo Angel got them to last place with one of the worst seasons ever in MLS.

One could also contend that the Beckham experiment has been a mixed bag of results. They've actually been better without him this season.

Don't be blinded by star signings.

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I hate to play this card, but let me know when a team other than NY or LA signs a big star. We aren't able to offer significantly more than an LA or NY would be in terms of $$. I thik a lot of people underestimate the pull of NY or LA on a European player looking to come play soccer in America.

Why not? We're significantly more profitable than they are. We sell an awful lot more tickets than they do. (okay, maybe not LA, but they aren't even in this discussion).

NY is taking a chance and making an investment on potential future income. TFC requires that the money be made first and then spent. Okay, so now it's been made. As a business this one is in the black way sooner than most start-ups.

rocker
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
NY is taking a chance and making an investment on potential future income.

that is, if this rumour is indeed true.

MartinUtd
05-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Didn't you hear? We're getting Paul Dickov.

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 09:50 AM
that is, if this rumour is indeed true.

Yeah, of course. Still, it seems likey they'll do something, though, they need to sell tickets.

I always get the feeling we're punished for buying tickets.

Kaz
05-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Henry will be getting approx. $6 million. Only half of the $325K (I think) will go against the cap as per the new CBA.

In the event that the Shite Bulls sign a third DP it wouldn't count against the cap. They have to pay the league $250k

Umm yes yes it would.. you pay the money and it goes against the cap.

OneLoveOneEric
05-14-2010, 09:59 AM

I absolutely agree with this. I've said for years -- these guys couldn't point out Toronto on a map. NY, LA, or nothing.

jaxul
05-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Agreed but we should be able to attempt to compete with both of them given the way the fans support the team. We compete with them in terms of ticket prices...why not also in terms of bidding on the best talent? If we signed Henry for $6-7 mil BMO would be at capacity even on days with the worst weather. Plus other off the pitch benefits. All I ask for is initiative...go to Brazil...bring someone from there. It's not that we aren't able to offer the $$...we aren't willing to.

drewski
05-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Why not? We're significantly more profitable than they are. We sell an awful lot more tickets than they do. (okay, maybe not LA, but they aren't even in this discussion).

because the $$$ NY and LA can offer isn't just about salary. Its about money from marketing deals, endorsements, etc which LA & NY have us beat hands down on.

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 10:08 AM
because the $$$ NY and LA can offer isn't just about salary. Its about money from marketing deals, endorsements, etc which LA & NY have us beat hands down on.

Maybe, but I'd like to see some evidence. Has LeBron been getting fewer endorsements because he's in Cleveland? Does the city really make that big a difference to endorsements these days?

And even if the player and his agent aren't good enough to get big endorsement deals while playing out of Toronto, this team should still be spending more on DPs than any other team in MLS if it is indeed on of the "few profitable teams," as we hear all the time.

jaxul
10 midfielders playing better than JDG not including wingers and attacking mids? Come on, you're out to lunch. As much as I liked Guevara and Robo in our mid, we're in a much better position now with JDG.

Yes I am positive I can name 10 CM, DM that in my opinion have played better than JDG this season and are making much less. Of course this would be very subjective but my point was that he has not shown DP status so far. Maybe he will, maybe it takes half a season, maybe he is surrounded by the wrong players, maybe he is on the wrong team or maybe he will never adjust to MLS style of play. Who knows? All I can do is offer an opinion on his play so far.

jloome
it's about creating a good team not signing a big star. Juan Pablo Angel barely got them into the playoffs that year they lucked out and made it to MLS Cup. Then the year after, Juan Pablo Angel got them to last place with one of the worst seasons ever in MLS.

One could also contend that the Beckham experiment has been a mixed bag of results. They've actually been better without him this season.

Are you kidding?

In terms of direct impact, this is a league that has a serious paucity of good finishers. This guy's one of the best ever, and he's 32, so he might even have two or three good years left in the tank.

He's going to absolutely shred MLS defenses. You're right in that one guy -- no matter how good -- can't win a title for you. But shit man, if anyone's going to break that Roy Lassiter scoring record, it's gonna be a guy like Henry. It's a huge signing, if it's true.

jloome
05-14-2010, 10:11 AM

It's bigger than that. Henry could live in Bogota and get endorsements up the yin-yang.

I grew up in England, and for a lot of Europeans and Brits, there's a certain mythos about America's coolness, derived largely from pop culture. To a guy like Henry, who's probably not particularly politically or socially active, New York would just be a cool place to finish his career.

But really, only New York, Chicago and LA would offer that enticement to folk from over there. They're kinda the trifecta of cool American cities.

jaxul
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM

We have tried to make a good team and build a core...no core so far. Maybe if we make a big splash and people notice we will be able to build around that. In my opinion TFC management are always reacting instead of being proactive. We get players because our roster isn't full not because we realize we have urgent needs 3 months ahead of time.

tfcleeds
05-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Are you kidding?

In terms of direct impact, this is a league that has a serious paucity of good finishers. This guy's one of the best ever, and he's 32, so he might even have two or three good years left in the tank.

He's going to absolutely shred MLS defenses. You're right in that one guy -- no matter how good -- can't win a title for you. But shit man, if anyone's going to break that Roy Lassiter scoring record, it's gonna be a guy like Henry. It's a huge signing, if it's true.

If it wasn't for the fact he's been called up to the USMNT, Buddle would have a good shot at beating the record as well.

Pachuco
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM

:facepalm: I don't know what else to say to this. They made it to the MLS cup but according to you it was luck. The next year they were shit, and accoriding to you that wasn't luck, that was all Juan Pablo's doing. And so this year? what do you think of their success this year? Let me guess, you think Sutton is the reason right?

OneLoveOneEric
05-14-2010, 10:21 AM
It's not just a money thing. These guys want to move to NY or LA. It's glamour, star status, and all that shit. I mean, if you believe the news, there are players that don't sign for Manchester United because they'd rather not be in northern England. So where do you think Toronto and Toronto FC measure up?

drewski
05-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Maybe, but I'd like to see some evidence. Has LeBron been getting fewer endorsements because he's in Cleveland? Does the city really make that big a difference to endorsements these days?

And even if the player and his agent aren't good enough to get big endorsement deals while playing out of Toronto, this team should still be spending more on DPs than any other team in MLS if it is indeed on of the "few profitable teams," as we hear all the time.

evidence, don't have that, but marketing/exposure is one of the rumoured reasons there's a good chance he'll leave Cleveland (and why Bosh will leave Toronto).

I also don't think comparing this to LeBron in Cleveland is a great example because media coverage of Canada in the US, even of big players, isn't as high. A better example would be, as I mentioned before, Chris Bosh (or VC or Stoudamire)

as for spending money on DP's, there's defitintly no excuse for not spending a reasonable amount on the best DP we can get

JonO
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Agreed but we should be able to attempt to compete with both of them given the way the fans support the team. We compete with them in terms of ticket prices...why not also in terms of bidding on the best talent?
My point is not that we couldn't compete with them in terms of $$$, but we couldn't offer sufficient more $$ to compete with the bright lights of NY and LA (and Chicago to a certain extent).

These guys aren't coming here because of money. It's because they'd like to try live in America for while - and where better for a high profile star to live?

drewski
05-14-2010, 10:29 AM
It's not just a money thing. These guys want to move to NY or LA. It's glamour, star status, and all that shit. I mean, if you believe the news, there are players that don't sign for Manchester United because they'd rather not be in northern England. So where do you think Toronto and Toronto FC measure up?

yes and no, at least when it comes to soccer stars in the US. that glamour star status is tied to marketing endorsements deals. where they can get glamour/star status is also where the biggest endorsement money typically is.

jloome
05-14-2010, 10:48 AM
If it wasn't for the fact he's been called up to the USMNT, Buddle would have a good shot at beating the record as well.

Both he and DeRo are on pace. That's happened a few times before though. By the mid way break, those guys have always cooled off a little. LAssiter's season was atypical, because he just never cooled off.

Henry has performed with that level of consistency for a decade now, so it's easy to see him being the one.

But Buddle is having a hell of a year. Great service, too, though.
EDIT: And I wonder how much of that is down to Donovan's time at Everton?

habstfc
05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
You have to be a recognizable name in america to get huge endorsement deals. That's why they really only have them in the 'AMERICAN" sports. Outside of basketball, football, and baseball and one golfer, who really gets big endorsement contracts? Like I said earlier who the hell knows who thiery henry outside of soccer fans? Soccer is way down on the list in america when it comes to caring about sports. Beckham is a much bigger name than anyone else on the planet for soccer name recognition in the states, and even with him the luster ran out about 3 months after he got here. I know it was reported that he got 50 million a year(for 5 years) with about 45 million of that in sponsorship, I think you're a fool if you believe he got anywhere near that.

I also think the "BIG" name players coming here are only going to come here to play in L.A. or new york, even though toronto and maybe seattle can give them anywhere near the experince they have gotten so far in their careers. I think teams like toronto could get the b-list players. Players that are still difference makers but not known to the general public.

drexel10
05-14-2010, 01:25 PM
As much as we complain about JDG, we aren't stuck with a guy like Landin! Not all DP's have been great, so JDG has been a pretty average DP so far.

Ageroo
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
so JDG has been a pretty average DP so far.

I am a big JDG backer....so take what you want from my comments.....but how many games has he really played......possibly 12/13 matches since being in a TFC uniform? Tack in the fact he came in for approximately 1/4 of those games last year and not fully fit and he really hasn't had much time for anyone to base how effective he has been.......just saying...:)

Oldtimer
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes I am positive I can name 10 CM, DM that in my opinion have played better than JDG this season and are making much less. Of course this would be very subjective but my point was that he has not shown DP status so far. Maybe he will, maybe it takes half a season, maybe he is surrounded by the wrong players, maybe he is on the wrong team or maybe he will never adjust to MLS style of play. Who knows? All I can do is offer an opinion on his play so far.

That may be your opinion, but as someone who has played the game and coached youth, I can tell you that JDG is way above most MLS players. It doesn't show more due to the low quality of many of his teammates than any problem with JDG.

If you can read the game well, you will see many passes into space, which his teammates fail to read as well as a la liga player. The other team then picks up the ball, and you might say "JDG is not that good!" In reality it's his teammates.

Now should TFC have signed an impact striker (whose impact would be less dependent on his teammates)? That is a real question.

I'd ask you to name your 10 awesome CM/DM, but that would derail the thread. :)

Ageroo
05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I'd ask you to name your 10 awesome CM/DM, but that would derail the thread. :)

I say derail away....just for giggles........I am curious :D

Belfast_Boy
05-14-2010, 01:51 PM
been back and forth on the JDG issue.

i've been trying to watch him with an open mind recently and either his game has improved or I was too critical.

so much of our play goes through him. someone gets in trouble and they dish off to JDG. he's making some great passes and tackles.

the funny thing is that i was most impressed by him when he wasn't there. the game he didn't start really showed what he brings to TFC.

so IMO he was a good signing.

Kaz
05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
When I was a kid I was interested in Soccer but kinda lost interest by the time I hit High School couldn't watch it and no real local teams to cheer for, without really searching. Downside of growing up identifying as a Canadian.

So really my football knowledge has developed just in the last few years watching TFC and falling in love with the game. But what I have noticed at least from what I have seen is the JDG is doing his job fairly well, it seems to be more of a lack of link up with the others, and that is starting to change. JDG is starting to have an effect on the team as a whole.

I'm of half a mind to say that he is having a bigger impact on the level of play then Preki. Players are working togeather to learn each others movements, they are learning tactics, and that isn't something that Preki really brings to the table like we are starting to see. I think that is the same thing that Becks brought to LA, and we are seeing it pay off.

the Biggest lacking element in NA Soccer as opposed to Euro Football seems to be players linking together with a hive mind and knowing what everyone is going to do, and anticipating each others movements to make plays.

this year we are seeing that more and more. Against Chicago we saw OBW have a decent shot lined up, but with the keeper so far off, and few defenders near Barrett, OBW took the sure thing. In Montreal you saw a nice long pass from Mid, a pass to Barrett, and Dero kept running in case of a rebound, and we got the goal.

this is stuff you haven't seen with TFC in the past very often. There linked plays, and the players are trusting each other, watching for each other. That is something I think JDG is bringing more then Preki.

But I could be totally wrong, but I based on some of the interviews I'm not thinking so.

jaahuuu
05-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Just means signing a future contract (with a different club) that will come into effect when the player's current contract expires. Typically, you can only do this if your contract is about to run out in 1 or 2 months' time. With most European contracts ending on 30 June, the timing is about right for this piece of news to make sense.
Thanks.

jloome
05-17-2010, 10:37 AM
SI now confirming it as well, says a source confirms deal was signed three weeks ago and he's coming after the world cup.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/ben_lyttleton/05/15/henry.mls/index.html

flatpicker
05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm jealous!

Oldtimer
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Henry "denies signing" with NYRB:

http://www.imscouting.com/global-news-article/Thierry-Henry-denies-he-has-signed-for-New-York-Red-Bulls/7777/

The article doesn't really have a quote from him saying that, though.

If he really is coming, it's good that JDG has experience dealing with him.

loconet
05-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I would be surprised if he _doesn't_ end up coming (Red Bulls or not..)

edit:

Barca's general director is saying there is truth behind what the media is saying. Henry is coming boys...

jabbronies
05-17-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2OeYkE/sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/images/05/17/Thierry-Henry.jpg

Gazza
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2OeYkE/sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/images/05/17/Thierry-Henry.jpg

That link should've had a warning attached. My desk is drenched in coffee that i spit out laughing. Thanks!

Apparently Henry isn't just good with his hands.

__wowza
05-17-2010, 01:05 PM

are you kidding me? freddie ljungberg ring a bell?

TFC OZZ
05-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Can't wait for Henry to sign with the Red Bulls, it'll be fantastic for the league; and he's still a top quality player to boot.

Ladies Love Julius James
05-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Espn is now reporting it's a done deal

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=321843

Whoop
05-17-2010, 03:08 PM

First the Ibra and Pique pic, now this one.

What the hell do they do in Barcelona?

Shakes McQueen
05-17-2010, 03:22 PM
As a Gooner, this makes me sick - having an Arsenal legend playing for the Energy Drinks.

- Scott

Parkdale
05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
As a Gooner, this makes me sick - having an Arsenal legend playing for the Energy Drinks.

- Scott

just imagine how I'm feeling (as one of the few France backers around here)

drewski
05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Stephen Brunt's take

Thierry Henry: From La Rambla to Broadway

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/thierry-henry-from-la-rambla-to-broadway/article1572174/

jazzy
05-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm good with JDG......no team can win without being a complete team first....... E.G. all you Hab bandwagon jumpers.....a team with just a good DP, is going to be too 1 man centered....to go all the way, just take him out...I know ...Angel, but JDG is starting to find his way, and I feel he is thinking team first......I know we all want to see stars but I don't want to see anyone with attitude walk their way thru just on their way to the bank.....I'm into this league into the long hall......I'd be more excited seeing some young academy stars being supported and making the big league....anyhow this is Toronto, we always seem to miss the big stars anyway he Becks......

ensco
05-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Stephen Brunt's take

Thierry Henry: From La Rambla to Broadway

Ummmm....it's Las Ramblas. Brunt is maybe getting confused by this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK2HANwsUWg

MUFC_Niagara
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Good for the league.....i'm looking forward to watching him play in August! Sweet! Juan Pablo Angel and Henry up front......NYRB are going to be good. Henry is going to destroy MLS.

MUFC_Niagara
05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
qgPH6NGbnwk

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Barcelona forward Thierry Henry has rejected stories that he has agreed in principle to sign a contract with Major League Soccer side New York Bulls.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=788261&sec=transfers&cc=3888

Wagner
05-18-2010, 07:22 AM
just imagine how I'm feeling (as one of the few France backers around here)

My guess: Fighting the urge to surrender.

drewski
05-18-2010, 07:26 AM

http://instantbazinga.com/

http://estantedoheitor.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/bazinga_by_arselife.jpg

TFC OZZ
05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
qgPH6NGbnwk

You just knew form the second they started the video which one was going to be the #1 choice, such a superb goal.

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Just like the Saxons did for Normandy? (like a thousand years ago)

TFCUNITED
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM

LOL :rofl:

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Just like the Saxons did for Normandy? (like a thousand years ago)

Normandy wasn't part of France at the time. It became part of France in 1204. :D

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Normandy wasn't part of France at the time. It became part of France in 1204. :D

okay.... make that '800 years ago'.

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 01:18 PM
After William conquered Angleland (England). :D

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
After William conquered Angleland. :D

hmmm... just looked it up. That was in 1066. My timeline is getting smaller.

Parkdale
05-18-2010, 01:26 PM
oh.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_monarchs#Angevins

that's my family name right there.

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
So the French never conquered England. The Normans did (and they were part Viking).

:)

The Normans spoke a dialect of French, however, which is why the upper class in England spoke French as either a first or second language until the 1900's.

I imagine that Henry speaks French, English, and Spanish... he'll be perfect for MLS.

Oldtimer
05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
oh.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_monarchs#Angevins

that's my family name right there.

We knew you were of royal stock, Parky!!!!

Dman81
05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
http://shinymedia.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/henrylolzs3de3_1.jpg

/thread !

TheKing7
05-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Just picked up a pair in 111 off ticketmaster for August... lets give him a nice reception :D :scarf:

cougars732
05-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Thierry Henry,

I love you man...but the Red Bulls? You better win the world cup for us to even it all out...make it easier to stomach. Allez les bleus!

Belfast_Boy
05-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Henry Banner

http://icons.mysitemyway.com/wp-content/gallery/matte-grey-square-icons-signs/119776-matte-grey-square-icon-signs-no-walking1.png

http://www.soccer-indoor.net/img/NoHandball.jpg

drewski
05-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Do Eet!!!!!!!!!

Dman81
05-18-2010, 11:40 PM
game on, bitches ! (http://www.jeu-de-main.com/)

SmokedPanda
05-18-2010, 11:55 PM
almost better than the Buffon game on puma.com in 2006 haha

Yohan
05-23-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2010/05/22/1938114/west-ham-united-plot-shock-75000-a-week-move-for-thierry

Oldtimer
06-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Barcelona's Thierry Henry To Request Free Transfer

Knowing that his future lies away from the Camp Nou, Barcelona forward Thierry Henry will ask the club for a free transfer to his next club, according to AS. His next move is strongly rumoured to be to either the New York Red Bulls of the MLS or even the Premier League's West Ham.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/spain/2010/05/28/1947239/barcelonas-thierry-henry-to-request-free-transfer

gmacpheetfc
06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
aka im going to new york

mastermixer
06-02-2010, 12:54 PM
aka im going to new york
Why? We are playing the Red Bulls here in August :scarf:

gmacpheetfc
06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
as in Henry is going to New York

Pachuco
06-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Interesting though that he's rumoured to go to West Ham, never heard that before.

James17930
06-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Surprised nobody posted this yet:

http://www.mls-rumors.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/red-bull-new-york-game-day-mag.jpg

http://www.mls-rumors.net/8942/2010/06/incoming-red-bull-new-york-priming-fans-for-major-signing-henry/

TFC115
06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow, well thats to the point.... So i guess it's 100 percent happening. Guess the game on Aug 21st is going to be that more hyped. And this also really inproves there playoff chances.

Roogsy
06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Cue the rumours.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=803698&sec=transfers&cc=5901

rocker
06-28-2010, 09:31 PM
it's interesting that they are playing "mystery player" here in their ads... I wonder how long they'll keep up that ad campaign. With beckham, they announced it wayyyy before he ever came to MLS, which created a spike in season ticket sales and anticipation. If they've got Henry's signature, they shouldn't wait too long to announce it.

King Jeff
06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
^ I think it's kind of cool the way they're doing it. Very 80s WWF. (Hopefully it goes better than the launch of the Shockmaster, although Henry falling through a wall would be awesome)

Toronto_Bhoy
06-29-2010, 06:30 PM
I might actually look forward to the Red Bulls coming here…can we have Angel?

I can hear it now…Cheat! Cheat! Cheat!

Carefree
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Just as a curiosity I just went on Ticketmaster to see if anything was available for the Aug. 21 NYRB game and managed to score a pair in row 1 of section 121. WooHoo! Now, let's make this transfer happen!

Keystone FC
06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I heard a rumor that NYRB will change their name to the New York Red Handed Bulls.

los sonadores
07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I heard a rumor that NYRB will change their name to the New York Red Handed Bulls.

That is very funny

King Jeff
07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
http://mlsinsiderblog.com/?p=2925

I hope he comes with his own Rick Derringer entrance theme.

TFC115
07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
If you look closely, the guy making the shirts, puts a H on the shirt...wonder who that could be?

Shway
07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
you've got some good eyes

BeerBaron95
07-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Watched it twice and dont see anything close to resembling an H

BeerBaron95
07-02-2010, 09:36 PM
upon fiurther review... it almost looks like a D or a G... pause the vid a split second after it hit 37 seconds and you will get a pretty clear view... mind you it can all be a coincidence and its a random letter.

Del Piero ??

DOMIN8R
07-02-2010, 09:58 PM
I purchased 8 tickets for the TFC game in NY and the NY ticket rep. commented that we should see Henry by then.

Limani_Ole
07-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Check out this promo -

http://nytv.neulion.com/mlsvp/console.jsp?catid=1278&id=6644

Flipityflu
07-10-2010, 05:51 PM
NYRB have apparantly scheduled a press conference for this Thursday...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/203731-thierry-henry-to-sign-with-red-bulls?eref=sihp

Pookie
07-10-2010, 07:02 PM
From the NY Daily News:

Sources: Red Bulls will announce signing of French striker Thierry Henry when transfer window opens

BY MICHAEL LEWIS
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Saturday, July 10th 2010, 4:00 AM

Mori/AP
Sources says the New York Red Bulls will announce that French international forward Thierry Henry (c.) will sign with the team when the MLS summer transfer window opens Thursday.

When the MLS summer transfer window opens Thursday, the Bulls will announce that French international forward Thierry Henry will sign with the team, according to sources.

Henry's signing has been the world's worst-kept secret. The Red Bulls have teased their fans and media with two online videos about a new designated player joining the MLS club. Henry hardly played for a dysfunctional French team that failed to get out of its group at the World Cup after reaching the final four years ago.

It wouldn't be surprising if Henry would be ready to go for the Red Bulls in the New York Challenge in two weeks. He will team with Juan Pablo Angel, who leads the Bulls with nine goals entering Saturday night's home game against DC United.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/worldcup2010/2010/07/10/2010-07-10_sources_red_bulls_will_announce_signing_of_fren ch_striker_thierry_henry_when_tra.html#ixzz0tKM3tK Qt

sully
07-10-2010, 07:16 PM
From the NY Daily News:

Sources: Red Bulls will announce signing of French striker Thierry Henry when transfer window opens

BY MICHAEL LEWIS
SPECIAL TO THE NEWS

Saturday, July 10th 2010, 4:00 AM

Mori/AP
Sources says the New York Red Bulls will announce that French international forward Thierry Henry (c.) will sign with the team when the MLS summer transfer window opens Thursday.

When the MLS summer transfer window opens Thursday, the Bulls will announce that French international forward Thierry Henry will sign with the team, according to sources.

Henry's signing has been the world's worst-kept secret. The Red Bulls have teased their fans and media with two online videos about a new designated player joining the MLS club. Henry hardly played for a dysfunctional French team that failed to get out of its group at the World Cup after reaching the final four years ago.

It wouldn't be surprising if Henry would be ready to go for the Red Bulls in the New York Challenge in two weeks. He will team with Juan Pablo Angel, who leads the Bulls with nine goals entering Saturday night's home game against DC United.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/worldcup2010/2010/07/10/2010-07-10_sources_red_bulls_will_announce_signing_of_fren ch_striker_thierry_henry_when_tra.html#ixzz0tKM3tK Qt

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:AcF9_INF1REraM:http://www.websitedublin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/10867_101878919834654_100000376380203_49933_823588 5_n.jpg (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.websitedublin.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/10867_101878919834654_100000376380203_49933_823588 5_n.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.websitedublin.com/blog/thierry-henry-cheats-ireland-out-of-the-world-cup/&usg=__ODhBYTjsomXheGm2dFthDqPAmek=&h=557&w=403&sz=41&hl=en&start=15&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=AcF9_INF1REraM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhenry%2Bcheat%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rl s%3Dcom.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLA_enCA299%26tbs%3Disch:1)

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ybIqmuIM6DboEM:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uEyOOjhuGVs/SoytxhhkDVI/AAAAAAAAADc/SYDNkmNZ-Og/s400/no-cheating-480.png (http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uEyOOjhuGVs/SoytxhhkDVI/AAAAAAAAADc/SYDNkmNZ-Og/s400/no-cheating-480.png&imgrefurl=http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/f8/world-cup-play-offs-nov-18th-93278/index3.html&usg=__9uHe0bgbPmuUL4zBndZtyDJuMEg=&h=320&w=320&sz=44&hl=en&start=61&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ybIqmuIM6DboEM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhenry%2Bcheat%26start%3D54%26um%3D1%2 6hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-ca:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLA_enCA299%26ndsp%3D18%26tb s%3Disch:1)

Oldtimer
07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately, we will play New York twice after Monsieur Henry signs.

Pachuco
07-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I was just watching the highlights on MLSSoccer.com. Can't remember what game it was (I think it was the Houston game) but they were talking about how the All Star Game is coming up in 3 weeks. They then go on to say that maybe you'll see Henry playing against ManU at the all star game.

Are you kidding me? That's just about the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard. I wouldn't put it past Don Garber to put him in it so they can sell his All Star jersey but wholy mother of God would that ever question the integrity of the game.

FFS that would be embarassing.

Beach_Red
07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Unfortunately, we will play New York twice after Monsieur Henry signs.

And maybe their 3rd DP:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/soler-confirms-nyrb-hot-pursuit-third-dp

TFCRegina
07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
As I said to Parky earlier today:

Red Bull gives you wings, not hands...

TFCUNITED
07-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Nash says Henry is coming.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_ylt=AkarDlULLFruvhe7N245UdidbgM6?slug=capres s-soc_mls_red_bulls_henry-3909658

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Ugh, I still can't believe one of my favourite Arsenal legends is going to be playing for the frigging Red Bulls.

- Scott

Blowing Bubbles
07-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I was just watching the highlights on MLSSoccer.com. Can't remember what game it was (I think it was the Houston game) but they were talking about how the All Star Game is coming up in 3 weeks. They then go on to say that maybe you'll see Henry playing against ManU at the all star game.

Are you kidding me? That's just about the dumbest suggestion I've ever heard. I wouldn't put it past Don Garber to put him in it so they can sell his All Star jersey but wholy mother of God would that ever question the integrity of the game.

FFS that would be embarassing.

why? All-star games are for marketing and corporate shmoozing, not for rewarding the best players. Hell most sports let you vote in the rosters which leads to all kinds of distortions as popular players get in the game even when having down years.

Lol @ trying to put integrity into an all-star game :facepalm:

Shakes McQueen
07-11-2010, 08:45 AM
why? All-star games are for marketing and corporate shmoozing, not for rewarding the best players. Hell most sports let you vote in the rosters which leads to all kinds of distortions as popular players get in the game even when having down years.

Lol @ trying to put integrity into an all-star game :facepalm:

Lol @ not understanding what Pachuco meant by "integrity".

- SCott

Pookie
07-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Speaking of integrity, I wonder if the league will disclose how much "allocation money" was made available in order that the Red Bulls... a team that averaged 12,669 fans last year in a league that is driven by gate revenue... can afford 2, and possibly 3 DPs?

Sort of reminds me of Beckham's arrival which supported and was soon followed by further expansion on the West Coast (Portland, Vancouver, Seattle).

Here we have Philly, Montreal, a new Stadium in NY and rumours of wanting a second team there. And then we have Henry's arrival. Guess it is time to shore up the East Coast.

I wonder when it will be KC's turn to get propped up by the league.

flatpicker
07-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Speaking of integrity, I wonder if the league will disclose how much "allocation money" was made available in order that the Red Bulls... a team that averaged 12,669 fans last year in a league that is driven by gate revenue... can afford 2, and possibly 3 DPs?

Sort of reminds me of Beckham's arrival which supported and was soon followed by further expansion on the West Coast (Portland, Vancouver, Seattle).

Here we have Philly, Montreal, a new Stadium in NY and rumours of wanting a second team there. And then we have Henry's arrival. Guess it is time to shore up the East Coast.

Yup, you gotta feel kinda bad for a team like KC.
They don't have the sex appeal that a NY or LA has.
This team is still in the process of building and gaining fans.
They know that they big markets need to attract attention.
Until this league is running strong and getting decent tv deals, favouritism will reign supreme.
Ugly ducklings will suffer so that the league can have it's big city flagships.

Flipityflu
07-11-2010, 09:28 AM
with regards to the All Star game, i guess its up to the individual how much stock you put into it. the match is nothing more than an exhibition, so does it really matter that much who gets selected? if Henry gets selected simply to make some dosh for the league, is that really a bad thing?

we all want the same thing...an economically healthy league that can both develop players, as well as showcase international talent, with the end result being some good footie to showcase. i would sacrifice some integrity in a meaningless friendly to help reach that goal.

Beach_Red
07-11-2010, 10:24 AM

KC already had their turn, they had Mo ;).

But this seems to be a case of ownership taking the first step and the league allowing it. LA did it, NY is doing it, if MLSE wanted to go out and sign some big-name player to a huge contract the league would find a way to allow it.

Pookie
07-11-2010, 11:09 AM
^ but do you think a deal happens without Allocation money being provided in order to both pay the salary and allow for cap issues?

If so, then it's not just a case of the league allowing a deal. The league would be propping a team up in order to make a deal happen.

Beach_Red
07-11-2010, 11:17 AM
^ but do you think a deal happens without Allocation money being provided in order to both pay the salary and allow for cap issues?

If so, then it's not just a case of the league allowing a deal. The league would be propping a team up in order to make a deal happen.

I thought any salary above the cap hit was the responsibility of the team, isn't it? There is no limit on how much a team can spend on a DP, is there?

Pookie
07-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I thought any salary above the cap hit was the responsibility of the team, isn't it? There is no limit on how much a team can spend on a DP, is there?

In theory, a team cannot exceed the cap and that includes the provision for DPs. Of course, a DP can earn millions like Beckham did but there is a set amount that is applied to the cap.

So in theory, it's all fair and square. Any team, in theory, could sign DPs, pay them what they want and try to fit the whole shebang under the cap.

Except for this little thing called Allocation Money.

A club receives allocation money for:

(1) poor performance during the preceding MLS regular season;
(2) the transfer of a player to a club outside of MLS for value;
(3) roster purposes due to expansion status; and/or
(4) exceptional circumstances as approved by the Competition Committee.

Further, the MLS doesn't publish the monies that are made available or when they are granted.

So a team can use Allocation Money (ie. potential free gifts) to go beyond a cap. They do this by using it to:

a) pay a salary
b) pay a transfer fee
c) buy down a DP's cap hit (a Cap hit for a DP can be bought down to as little as $150,000 by using Allocation money)

In summary, a team could get allocation money for player transfers and poor performance OR for "exceptional circumstances." In reality, "exceptional circumstances" really means whenever the MLS feels like handing it out. The amounts are never published and the funds can be used in ways that allow a team go around the cap.

Where is that Dust2 guy when we need a good discussion about our apparent "hard cap"? ;)

Beach_Red
07-11-2010, 12:09 PM
^ Ha ha, yeah, I was going to ask about him.

The move to the three DPs with a cap hit of around one million seems to have ended any kind of hard cap. It looks like NYRB are going to sign three DPs (and they have to pay the league $250,000 for the right to sign the third, don't they?) which will take up about one million dollars of the cap and spread the other million and a half (or so, as you say there will be allocation money as well) over the rest of the roster.

Sounds like the Miami Heat :D.

Interestlingly, there was a recent study that used NBA teams to show that big disparity in player salaries has little or no effect on a team's performance - in fact, the teams with the biggest difference between highest and lowest paid players win the most games and champinships (I think the study was since the 1995 CBA in the NBA wich really started the spread of salaries).

So, in MLS, if an owner wants to buy three very high-priced players and manage the allocation money and the cap there isn't anything to stop him.

We will likely see the league become what many people want - dominated by three or four big teams willing to do this. And, with any luck, Columbus won't be one of them ;).

drewski
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
TFC should give these out for the game

http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/upimg9/Hand-Clapper-10169.JPG

Yohan
07-12-2010, 02:49 AM
NY also did finish last, so did get shitload of allocation money last year...

Yeoman
07-12-2010, 03:24 AM
TFC should give these out for the game

http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/upimg9/Hand-Clapper-10169.JPG

love it, lets see if these are banned! new ways to annoy!

razor787
07-12-2010, 07:43 AM
They would go in as a noise maker, which is banned :/

drewski
07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
ok. so how about giant foam hands?

http://www.weblaws.org/robb/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/sixfingerfoam1-desktop-resolution.jpg

rocker
07-13-2010, 08:48 AM
giant foam hands would be awesome.. and great for seeing on TV!!!

London
07-13-2010, 08:54 AM
giant foam hand would be funny.

Oldtimer
07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Great idea.

http://www.foamhands.com/

The giant red hand for $5 + shipping would be great. Maybe the merch team would like to look at it.

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 09:18 AM
there's gotta be a discount price for bulk orders.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Nodoubtguy
07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
at 12 hands your already at $4.50 each.....I'm sure 100 could be gotten at a good price

edit: 24 hands costs $3.50 each......that's super cheap

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 09:22 AM
guys -- let's move all talk of henry related Tifos to the members section. We don't want things leaking out.

jloome
07-13-2010, 11:13 AM
there's gotta be a discount price for bulk orders.

I'll see what I can dig up.

So do you order them in green with a shamrock? Or blue with a choking 'Coq Sportif'?

Parkdale
07-13-2010, 11:31 AM
So do you order them in green with a shamrock? Or blue with a choking 'Coq Sportif'?

neither. I'm putting aside my feelings as a France supporter for my passion as a TFC supporter.

et ce n'est pas un 'coq Sportif'. That's a sports brand, which would be like calling TFC the '3 stripes' becuase of the adidas logo, but I know you know that. It's a 'coq gaulois' that you're thinking of.

Hitcho
07-13-2010, 11:38 AM
^ Ha ha, yeah, I was going to ask about him.

The move to the three DPs with a cap hit of around one million seems to have ended any kind of hard cap. It looks like NYRB are going to sign three DPs (and they have to pay the league $250,000 for the right to sign the third, don't they?) which will take up about one million dollars of the cap and spread the other million and a half (or so, as you say there will be allocation money as well) over the rest of the roster.

Sounds like the Miami Heat :D.

Interestlingly, there was a recent study that used NBA teams to show that big disparity in player salaries has little or no effect on a team's performance - in fact, the teams with the biggest difference between highest and lowest paid players win the most games and champinships (I think the study was since the 1995 CBA in the NBA wich really started the spread of salaries).

So, in MLS, if an owner wants to buy three very high-priced players and manage the allocation money and the cap there isn't anything to stop him.

We will likely see the league become what many people want - dominated by three or four big teams willing to do this. And, with any luck, Columbus won't be one of them ;).

There might be something in this actually. It's the only way for a team to really try and dominate - spend massive wonga on three DP players to remove as much of the enforced parity as possible. Only a few clubs could afford it. We'd be one of them I suspect, although can't see the pension fund ever going for it somehow! :rolleyes:

robert32
07-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Apparently official....

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/la-liga/2010/07/14/2025009/breaking-news-thierry-henry-joins-new-york-red-bulls-from

Oblio2
07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
and here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3054036/Thierry-Henry-has-joined-New-York-Red-Bulls.html

Nodoubtguy
07-14-2010, 07:37 AM
http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/

as official as it gets

flatpicker
07-14-2010, 07:55 AM
jealous

bgnewf
07-14-2010, 07:59 AM
I have been an Arsenal fan for a long long time and I don't have it in me to boo him, with the exception of on the pitch against TFC only. I am half Irish in descent and even that issue I am not too pissed off about.

He brought me too much happiness as a Gunner to completely throw him under the bus for the two mistakes he has made in his life (the Irish thing and signing for New York of course).

Carefree
07-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Awesome!!!

I think this is the kind of move we needed to bring back some of the atmosphere from season 1. Kind of like the Beckham Effect 2.0.

I know a lot of people in this group don't think that's necessarily a good thing, but we have to face the fact that interest in the team from the more casual fans has dwindled considerably, and we're seeing that every home game with all the empty seats (despite what the PA announcer says). As much as I would like to see the stadium filled with 20,000 hardcore supporters, that's just not realistic, and we need the casuals to contribute to the atmosphere.

If the league can create the same kind of buzz around the Henry signing as they did with Beckham in 2006, we should see a big wave of new fans coming to the games. And now that TFC is actually playing decent football, those casual fans may actually stick around this time.

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2010, 08:02 AM
And here we go...

jaxul
07-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Scalpers will have a field day when NY comes to town.

Pinkie
07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
oh god i cannot wait for him to come to toronto.to see someone that i've followed since i was 16 play live in front of me is unreal.

i won't cheer for him, mind you...but he's definitely signing my French Henry kit (if he bothers to come outside after the game)

Parkdale
07-14-2010, 08:31 AM
for a good laugh:

Pronunciation: TYAIR-ree ahn-REE

^ from the press release.

Nodoubtguy
07-14-2010, 08:36 AM
People may hate on Henry for doing what any other footballer would do.....but I love this move. Truly one of the most talented players of our time.

DangerRed
07-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Hand of Henry aside, I'm happy I'll be there in August to see him play at BMO. I wonder how he'll adapt to the physicality of this league at his age. That said, his time at EPL probably taught him all he needs to know about hard tackling.

mastermixer
07-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Sad that after a gorgeous new stadium was built, they still can't seem to fill those seats. I hope this changes once Henry hits the pitch, or else New York as a soccer market is hopeless.

flatpicker
07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Sad that after a gorgeous new stadium was built, they still can't seem to fill those seats. I hope this changes once Henry hits the pitch, or else New York as a soccer market is hopeless.

I'd be shocked if Henry can't sell out that stadium.

yellowfellow
07-14-2010, 09:25 AM
What a way to stick it to their own player...

"With all due respect to Juan Pablo Angel and players in the past such as Roberto Donadoni, Lothar Matthaus and Youri Djorkaeff – none can compare to Henry on and off the field. This goes for you too, Branco."

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2010/07/waiting-over-and-he-has-arrived

rocker
07-14-2010, 09:27 AM

"With all due respect to Juan Pablo Angel and players in the past such as Roberto Donadoni, Lothar Matthaus and Youri Djorkaeff – none can compare to Henry on and off the field. This goes for you too, Branco."

NYRB didn't write that.. it's from MLSsoccer.

Kristian Dyer is a reporter for MLSSoccer.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
couldnt give less of a shit about this.
i do hope that it helps bring people to ny only for the sake of the league tho

DavydMT
07-14-2010, 09:35 AM
http://idevmail.americaneagle.com/UserFiles/redbullnewyork/image/TH-Email-Blast-Final.jpg

NateDoGG
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
huge deal for the red bulls
now lets see mo get ahold of michael owen and get him over here
this is fucked..... TORONTO NEEDS A EUROPEAN CLASS TALENT AS OUR DP

leroy
07-14-2010, 09:49 AM
funny that his first game could potentially be a friendly vs tottenham.

DangerRed
07-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Normally, a single DP doesn't turn a team around and win cups (see: Seattle) but Red Bull have built quite the contingent over there. And there are rumours that Ljungberg might join as their third DP to reunite with Henry.

Even though they're sitting at the second spot in the East right now, they look really dangerous and could be the class of the league pretty soon.

Can't wait to see how Henry performs. Wish MLSE had the nut to sign someone of his stature.

flatpicker
07-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Wish MLSE had the nut to sign someone of his stature.

That

drewski
07-14-2010, 10:04 AM
jamessharman (http://twitter.com/jamessharman)
MLS memo to defenders today: we apologize for the Thierry Henry signing, however a psychologist will be made available to you if needed.

:lol:

rocker
07-14-2010, 10:10 AM
of course, if he gets injured (See: Beckham) then it doesn't really matter. The problem with the DP rule in the past was that you only had 1 (unless you traded for a second, but that would mean decimating your roster given the cap hit and trading away assets).
Now that they've opened the DP thing up a bit, there's less risk in terms of injury.

Let's wait and see what his effect is... if Serioux comes along and tackles him hard, you never know (See, again, Beckham) ;)

fetajr
07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
now we can call them the

HANDBULLS

Red CB Toronto
07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Who is pumped now that the MLS has another star to call there own, it will be a fun day at BMO when this star arrives.

Redcoe15
07-14-2010, 10:21 AM
If that fails, MLS has a plan B. Put another team in New York.

YAY! :rolleyes:

Pachuco
07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Juan Pablo Angel and Henry together. God that is sickening.

rocker
07-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Who is pumped now that the MLS has another star to call there own, it will be a fun day at BMO when this star arrives.

well, that's a very collectivist attitude. Some people may not be pumped by an enemy team getting a good player. When Real Madrid signs Ronaldo, do Barcelona fans get excited? I don't think so.

Personally I like to see the league get better in a general sense. But if Thierry Henry scores 3 goals to defeat us in August, I'm not gonna be cheering the move. I'll be fuckin pissed.

Pachuco
07-14-2010, 11:07 AM
well, that's a very collectivist attitude. Some people may not be pumped by an enemy team getting a good player. When Real Madrid signs Ronaldo, do Barcelona fans get excited? I don't think so.

Personally I like to see the league get better in a general sense. But if Thierry Henry scores 3 goals to defeat us in August, I'm not gonna be cheering the move. I'll be fuckin pissed.

Moves like this come before the team for me though. Anything to make the league better, which in turn will make our team better and potentially give our team the ability and exposure to win something like the Concacaf champions league, and maybe one day even compete at the world clup football level. It's like asking me what I prefer, for TFC to win the MLS Cup or for the MLS to compete with leagues like the EPL and La Liga? This may be crazy, but I'd rather see the MLS compete with La Liga before we win the MLS cup. Cause when we win the MLS at that point, we'll have world exposure and it will mean that much more.

I know won't be alive to see it though.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-14-2010, 11:09 AM
That

that or the fact that Toronto isnt as desirable as NY or LA.
Cant forget that fact. Its a massive one and a massive sticking point for alot of europeans.

fetajr
07-14-2010, 11:15 AM
http://a.imagehost.org/0051/Untitled-1_6.gif

torontocelt
07-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Lothar Matthaus was a better plyer in my opinion, not as skillful as Henry but a better player. Of course different positions but if I had the choice I would have Matthaus in his prime in my team over Henry in his prime. Henry was fantastic though.

torontocelt
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM

I wonder if he will do a Beckam and never atually play for his club team in Toronto? Not that it is all his fault but it is a bit weaird the scheduling ever year means he is unable to play.

Oblio2
07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
As a Spurs fan thru and thru...I will boo the living sh** out of him.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Lothar Matthaus was a better plyer in my opinion, not as skillful as Henry but a better player. Of course different positions but if I had the choice I would have Matthaus in his prime in my team over Henry in his prime. Henry was fantastic though.

you and me both, prob was he wasnt as marketable (and a terrible human being)

dupont
07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
that or the fact that Toronto isnt as desirable as NY or LA.
Cant forget that fact. Its a massive one and a massive sticking point for alot of europeans.

Correct. They only want to go to cities that are on television a lot and the only 2 cities on TV over there are NYC and LA.

The only solution I see is MLSE funding a series of high profile movies and tv shows set in Toronto. After about 100 movies/television shows, Toronto will finally be in the everyday vocabulary of Europeans.
This would cost about 5 billion dollars and take 20 years to execute but if MLSE really appreciates the fans then it should be no problem to spend that kind of money.

Oldtimer
07-14-2010, 12:10 PM
This would cost about 5 billion dollars and take 20 years to execute but if MLSE really appreciates the fans then it should be no problem to spend that kind of money.

:smilielol5:

Pookie
07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
There might be something in this actually. It's the only way for a team to really try and dominate - spend massive wonga on three DP players to remove as much of the enforced parity as possible. Only a few clubs could afford it. We'd be one of them I suspect, although can't see the pension fund ever going for it somehow! :rolleyes:

With Allocation Money that is both undisclosed and arbitrary, one could argue that "enforced parity" may not exist to the extent that we think it does.

TFC USA
07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
What?! I thought he'd sign with the Knicks to assist Amare.

Shakes McQueen
07-14-2010, 12:37 PM
As a Spurs fan thru and thru...I will boo the living sh** out of him.

At least it's an easy equation for you. Think of how I feel!

- Scott

TFC USA
07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
I think Henry is finished competing with any top team in Europe, but I guess he'll help a little bit in MLS.

Seriously, MLS is making these signings for money, not to improve the quality of the play.

torontocelt
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
you and me both, prob was he wasnt as marketable (and a terrible human being)

I wasn't aware of Lothar being a dick and then I read this:

Matthäus’s inability to walk past an open microphone has often led to his downfall. In 2002, his vanity was cruelly exposed by a hoax phone call made by a radio station that appeared to offer him the job of Bavarian sports minister. Even when told that his responsibilities would include promoting finger-wrestling, Loddar declared himself honoured to accept the position. His habit of referring to himself in the third person – “A Lothar Matthäus doesn’t speak French” – also sits uneasily with the image of self-ironic modesty that German football has tried to project since the 2006 World Cup. And few have yet forgiven Matthäus for telling a Dutch tourist at the 1993 Oktoberfest that “the Dutch are all arseholes, Adolf probably forgot you”, or for greeting a women’s basketball team with the words: “Hey girls, our black player has the longest appendage.”

I also read on wiki that his gran is jewish which has particular significance regarding his comments to the dutch person. Sill although he was a dick he was still a cracking player.

ManUtd4ever
07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I think Henry is finished competing with any top team in Europe, but I guess he'll help a little bit in MLS.

Seriously, MLS is making these signings for money, not to improve the quality of the play.

I disagree. Henry is still more than capable of proving to be the best striker in the MLS thus improving the quality of play. The hope for MLS and NY is that he will sell jerseys and improve attendance as well...

TFC USA
07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Can I still say the Red Bulls are Shite?

razor787
07-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I went to the RPB site, and they had 4 articles in their news. 2 Were about the signing, 1 was about something else, and the last was saying that they were now selling Henry Jerseys...

Could they have made it any more obvious that hes there for marketing reasons.

Darlofletch
07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Can I still say the Red Bulls are Shite?

be my guest.

torontocelt
07-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I went to the RPB site, and they had 4 articles in their news. 2 Were about the signing, 1 was about something else, and the last was saying that they were now selling Henry Jerseys...

Could they have made it any more obvious that hes there for marketing reasons.

This would be the case at any team in the world? They want to sell jerseys asap while the news is still hot, it makes complete sense.

Henry is still premiership quality without a doubt and for those thinking he wont impress in the MLS then I think you will be mistaken. He is vastly superior to any strikers I have seen so far in the MLS. I would be amazed if he flopped although I do doubt his mentality a little bit for coming here in the first place when there would have been good options elsewhere. The expectation level will be nuts though with people thinking he will demolish teams all on his own, those who think that will be dissapointed and label him a flop. Those who realise that those kind of expectation levels are unreasonable should be able to see a player who is still a cut above the rest although not the messiah some would proclaim him to be.

P-NUTZ
07-14-2010, 02:02 PM
i hope he signs - aside from my regular season tiks, i picked up an extra 2 in the new north end for this exact game and would love a chance to see him play, and call him names.

P-NUTZ
07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
...and i speak french so i will ream him out in his own language. delicious!

Rudi
07-14-2010, 02:37 PM
i hope he signs
Me too! :smilielol5:

Phil
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
It may be in here, but saw this and its going into high gear now:

J8gvQe18vh8

P-NUTZ
07-14-2010, 03:06 PM
get ready Nana and Cann...but be careful cause he will drop like a sack of taters when touched round the box.

Joe Kool
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Wonder if anyone will give him a welcome to the league like Serioux did to Beckham. Hope not but if he is listed as questionable on gameday here in August I won't be complaining given our race to the top includes overcoming NY.

Inklink
07-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Not good news for defenders, but good news for the league!

Azerban
07-14-2010, 03:51 PM
It's like asking me what I prefer, for TFC to win the MLS Cup or for the MLS to compete with leagues like the EPL and La Liga? This may be crazy, but I'd rather see the MLS compete with La Liga before we win the MLS cup. Cause when we win the MLS at that point, we'll have world exposure and it will mean that much more.

well, you're really asking "what do I prefer, for TFC to win the MLS Cup or for the MLS to compete with leagues like the EPL and La Liga, and then win the Cup?"

only a fool wouldn't pick the second option

if it was "TFC to win the Cup, or MLS turns into a major league, but we never win it because every other team is full of superstars at that point and our ownership is still buying washed up old fat guys who have 16 other clubs on their resume", then what do you pick?

Pachuco
07-14-2010, 03:57 PM
well, you're really asking "what do I prefer, for TFC to win the MLS Cup or for the MLS to compete with leagues like the EPL and La Liga, and then win the Cup?"

only a fool wouldn't pick the second option

if it was "TFC to win the Cup, or MLS turns into a major league, but we never win it because every other team is full of superstars at that point and our ownership is still buying washed up old fat guys who have 16 other clubs on their resume", then what do you pick?

That's like picking the Maple Leafs isn't it? :D. I'd still rather watch the NHL then watch the Marlies, even if they guaranteed a cup every year I wouldn't even watch the final game. Never have and never will. I'd much rather watch a horrible team in the best league in the world.

Carefree
07-14-2010, 04:00 PM

We're not quite there yet. To be fair I'm pretty sure if "superstar" signings become a trend in the league, MLSE will jump right in. This kind of thing is right up their alley.

Rudi
07-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Washed up old fat guys?

JonO
07-14-2010, 04:36 PM
^ How much are they paying me? :D

Oldtimer
07-14-2010, 06:43 PM
NY is being very smart with how they market Henry.

Too bad no one of that caliber will ever want to come to Toronto, even if MLSE rolled out the armoured car.

Oldtimer
07-14-2010, 07:09 PM
We haven't done this in recent years, but it's time to skew a poll about NYRB and Henry.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2010/07/poll-thierry-henry-how-far-will-red-bulls-go-season

Since the last option is the worst available, I selected it. :D

icecoldbeer
07-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Did anyone else pick up that they made the announcement on the 14th...which is his number. Sneaky

Carefree
07-14-2010, 08:21 PM
^^^^Also, I think July 14 has some kind of significance to the French.

Oldtimer
07-14-2010, 09:13 PM
^^^^Also, I think July 14 has some kind of significance to the French.

Really? :D

http://www.historyteacher.net/images/Bastille.JPG

brad
07-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I wonder if he will do a Beckam and never atually play for his club team in Toronto? Not that it is all his fault but it is a bit weaird the scheduling ever year means he is unable to play.

Beckham wouldn't play here because he wouldn't play on the turf.

Oldtimer
07-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Analysis: Sports marketing experts on why Thierry Henry's MLS move is not in the same league as David Beckham's

Frenchman does not have commercial pulling power as English icon...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2888/north-america/2010/07/14/2024655/analysis-sports-marketing-experts-on-why-thierry-henrys-mls-move-

A really interesting article. Here is a really interesting idea:

Nevertheless, Hembert is convinced that a better financial model is for franchises to spend their money on developing home-grown players rather than recruiting stars like Henry.
“The popularity of football has really increased in the US,” he said.
“It is still not a major sport but it is growing rapidly. The 1994 World Cup was almost an unnoticed event in the US by the American people. But when you talk to American people now, they say that all the kids are playing soccer.
“There are summer and winter camps, lots of English coaches are coming to the US to teach and it has a really high level of take-up. Football has taken a unique path in the US. It has grown through grass roots, schools and colleges. The fact that they are playing all year round is creating problems for other sports like baseball, which is, like cricket, a summer game.
“It makes better financial sense for clubs to develop their own players and export them to the European market. Through that, they will start to get funds and attract more investment.”

Canadian Blue
07-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Henry should have stayed in Europe for another few seasons.....he will be amazing in the MLS but unfortunately unlike the reporters/league is saying his move to MLS still does not bring any more credibility to the league. A perfect example of this is the league in Qatar that signs big name players starting years ago with Gabriele Battistuta(sp?) Any one ever watch this league or know any teams that play with in it? Really it is just an active graveyard of over priced past it players, hopefully this is not what the MLS becomes or sooner rather than later the league like it's predessor from the 70's will go tits up

jabbronies
07-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Henry should have stayed in Europe for another few seasons.....he will be amazing in the MLS but unfortunately unlike the reporters/league is saying his move to MLS still does not bring any more credibility to the league. A perfect example of this is the league in Qatar that signs big name players starting years ago with Gabriele Battistuta(sp?) Any one ever watch this league or know any teams that play with in it? Really it is just an active graveyard of over priced past it players, hopefully this is not what the MLS becomes or sooner rather than later the league like it's predessor from the 70's will go tits up

I think the big thing with moving to MLS is the lifestyle.

Living in America is a big deal. Lights, Camera, Action - living in the same town as Jay-Z and Alicia keys is very cool. So to be able to play in the states, make a bit of coin, and have less critics and paparazzi is very attractive to players who have pretty much done it all abroad, but don't want to end their careers with tons of scrutiny.

Also, the guys who have come over here are very lifestyle oriented (Beckham, Henry, Lundjberg are all advertising whores). Their life outside football is just as important as their football life. The US gives them the chance to continue being models, advertising whores etc, whereas in Europe, the media has already moved on to the younger generation.

Canadian Blue
07-15-2010, 10:03 AM
^ Agreed, Henry coming to the MLS is not a football decision it is purely a choice made for the opportunity to live and experience America and the big city lights of New York City

torontocelt
07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Beckham wouldn't play here because he wouldn't play on the turf.

Wasn't the all star game on turf? I am pretty sure the madrid game was the first ever grass game?

jaxul
07-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I think every time a very good player comes over from Europe there is an extra risk factor attached to him playing in the MLS since most players hare are clumsy tacklers and injury is quite likely especially for a player like Henry who can probably run circles around 2/3 of defenders in this league.

brad
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Wasn't the all star game on turf? I am pretty sure the madrid game was the first ever grass game?

All-start was turf, but it would have been pretty hard for Becks to ditch that one.

Rudi
07-15-2010, 11:34 AM
He also played at New York, New England and Vancouver (friendly) on FieldTurf.

Belfast_Boy
07-15-2010, 11:54 AM

exaclty JonO.

don't get me wrong I love T.O. but it's a far cry from NYC or LA. I'd say most Europeans have heard of Toronto, but most couldn't place it on an unmarked map..... shit, what am I saying, half the people in the city couldn't do that.

torontocelt
07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
He also played at New York, New England and Vancouver (friendly) on FieldTurf.

Yeah I knew there were other teams in the MLS who play on turf but did not know what ones. Becks cannot really say I refuse to play any games on turf as there are too many teams for that stipulation. I just think it is more than a coincidence that he has never played in TO against TO, whether that is down to him or the MLS I do not know?

DavydMT
07-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Thierry Henry‏ Photo Set (http://pictures.reuters.com/c/C.aspx?VP3=FlashSlideShow_VPage&R=2C04082EGPS9M&T=A&H=1)

Canary Canuck
07-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Hilarious/cringe worthy interview with Henry. These interviewers deserve an infinite number of facepalms.

http://deadspin.com/5592581/dumb-tv-people-interview-thierry-henry-remind-america-why-it-cant-have-nice-soccer-things

DangerRed
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Hilarious/cringe worthy interview with Henry. These interviewers deserve an infinite number of facepalms.

http://deadspin.com/5592581/dumb-tv-people-interview-thierry-henry-remind-america-why-it-cant-have-nice-soccer-things

Oh GAWD! What idiots.

"So, you just won the World Cuuuuuuup?"

"No, not just. We lost this one."

Hahahahahaha.

Velvet Elvis
07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Trezeguet's agent has hinted that he is interested in a reunion with Henry, and could sign with the Red Bulls next year ...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=809757&sec=transfers&cc=5901

maninb
07-22-2010, 10:52 AM
All's I can say is preki better not have Uselessanov out against Henry or it'll be red card with the first 10 minutes