PDA

View Full Version : So how would MLSE react to this (classic pictures)

mick.seagulls
05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
http://thechive.com/2010/05/13/soccer-fans-are-certified-nuts-26-photos/

:flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare:

FluSH
05-13-2010, 03:40 PM
hmmmm...

Maybe like this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/sow_experts/post/When-flares-go-wrong-German-fan-s-feet-on-fire?urn=sow,225148

Globetrotter
05-13-2010, 03:45 PM
it's the people with asthma that might start the fights

Jeff s
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
What I don't get is how they cover the whole south end with smoke using those machines before kick off, but they won't let us use any smoke bombs or flares. In all honesty, whats the difference?

Mikey
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey if you squint at those images the flares make a message... it says

"look at me! look at me!"
"I'm hardcore, I has a flare!!!!!"

:flare::flare::flare:

reggie
05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
they would say...how much can we sell smoke bombs and flares for..profit profit profit

rocktml
05-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Now thats football!

Hustle
05-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Not 'hardcore'....Flares and smoke just straight up look amazing!

those pics from Stupido 'Shtad last night were a thing of beauty,

H Bomb
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I go to football for football. Whoever likes it is welcome to of course, but its not football, its shiny things. All the many cultures involved have made sacrifices im these four years,its part of what makes up special.

J .
05-13-2010, 04:48 PM

If only we could.... Ahhh it looks amazing...

Last night was incredible.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
There are waaaaaaaaay too many retards at BMO to allow yahoos to handle shit like this. Do you really want some clown behind to you setting off flares and smoke bombs?

"Sorry dude, your jackets on fire but if its any consolation…you look really cool!"

mlsintoronto
05-13-2010, 04:55 PM
What I don't get is how they cover the whole south end with smoke using those machines before kick off, but they won't let us use any smoke bombs or flares. In all honesty, whats the difference?

The difference is Fire safety and control. Those things are not safe in a crowded environment and are illegal. Not negotiable. I think they look cool too until you ask me if I'm prepared to put the safety of our fans, your family, my kids, at risk.

H Bomb
05-13-2010, 04:55 PM
"Sorry dude, your jackets on fire but if its any consolationyou look really cool!"

In still photographs...

H Bomb
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Also, the smoke/confetti at the start of the game is really lame.

ecospice
05-13-2010, 05:00 PM

My recollection of this year (which is, admittedly, not good thanks to the wobbly pop, or two, I have pre and at kickoff) is that now all that is being blown off is confetti, no more smoke...

I think the Chicargo game had nothing - but that was probably because of the wind.

Hustle
05-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Also, the smoke/confetti at the start of the game is really lame.

Yes.

Hitcho
05-13-2010, 05:05 PM
The difference is Fire safety and control. Those things are not safe I. A crowded environment and are illegal. Not negotiable. I think they look cool too until you ask me if I'm prepared to put the safety of our fans, your family, my kids, at risk.

Amen, completely agree.

But can we also ditch the razzamatazz crap in front of the south end? I really don't thinkw e need bits of glitter and smoke, and it;s so incredibly American, which is in contrast to how MLSE has approached much of the rest of its TFC ethos.

SmokedPanda
05-13-2010, 05:07 PM
after seeing the flare display last night in person at saputo stadium i have come to a conclusion, I LOVE FLARES OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That stuff was awesome with all the chanting

Steve
05-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Let who use them? You? Maybe the guys who throw bottles at players during the corner, is that a good idea? How about the chaps who threw them at our own fans last year? The guys who fall all over you because they have literally lost the ability to stand straight, are those the guys you want controlling a device that, with a little slip, might burn you to the fucking bone (flares burn pretty fucking hot)? Seriously, I agree, they look badass, you'll never get an argument there, but I don't want them around me, and I don't want the average fan at BMO being able to use them.

jazzy
05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
When I was young, I shared a room with a youger lad who misgiudedly set off flares and fireworks having fun but some accidently caught his leg, he couldn't walk, everyday he had to have his infected and open flesh wounds rebandage and cleaned. I was horrified and hurt by his constant pain yelling, caused by ????misguided fun????...If 1 person is burned or blinded whatever by out of control idiots, it's 1 to many......can anyone guarantee no injuries........as soon as someone throws 1 into a fan area, without caution......what then??? Sometimes exaggerated me me me attidues are just that: good for noone....and a lack of understanding and commpassion of the overall experience enjoyed by the majority.........

AL-MO
05-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Let who use them? You? Maybe the guys who throw bottles at players during the corner, is that a good idea? How about the chaps who threw them at our own fans last year? The guys who fall all over you because they have literally lost the ability to stand straight, are those the guys you want controlling a device that, with a little slip, might burn you to the fucking bone (flares burn pretty fucking hot)? Seriously, I agree, they look badass, you'll never get an argument there, but I don't want them around me, and I don't want the average fan at BMO being able to use them.

This is really the problem in a nutshell.

Everyone who was involved last night knew what they were doing, and it went off without a hitch. No one was injured, nothing got burned.

J .
05-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Everyone who was involved last night knew what they were doing, and it went off without a hitch. No one was injured, nothing got burned.

If it worked once, why wouldnt it work again?

Steve
05-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Right. I have no problem with people who know how to use flares using them, and it sounds like that's what happened in Montreal, and that's great. I DO have a problem with drunk idiots seeing those people, saying "AWESOME!!!" and doing the same thing, but buying the wrong kind of flare, or making their own, or what not, and putting me in the hospital. Sorry, but I see no way to differentiate between the two, and until there is a way, no flares at BMO.

Chevy
05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Right. I have no problem with people who know how to use flares using them, and it sounds like that's what happened in Montreal, and that's great. I DO have a problem with drunk idiots seeing those people, saying "AWESOME!!!" and doing the same thing, but buying the wrong kind of flare, or making their own, or what not, and putting me in the hospital. Sorry, but I see no way to differentiate between the two, and until there is a way, no flares at BMO.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The RPB or any other organized group would take the appropriate steps to ensure safety (and you could tell in MTL that this was the case), but it's the yahoo wannabe who will end up hurting somebody.

AL-MO
05-13-2010, 06:12 PM
If it worked once, why wouldnt it work again?

When did I ever say it wouldn't work again??

My comment was in reference to the crowd at BMO.

AL-MO
05-13-2010, 06:13 PM

I don't think anyone would disagree with you Steve. I wouldn't want some of the drunken morons around me trying to light flares either.

Some of them can't even keep up with a chant, (or stand up) let alone properly light a flare.

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 06:14 PM

:flare::flare::flare::flare::flare:

sorry bro lost you scrolling down the page when i saw the alizee paradis link.. :D

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Which by the way It looked awsome on tv :D:D. Even the tv commentators couldn't resist in saying that security no sooner rushed to put out the fire in the TFC zone they were running down to put out the fire in the impacts supporter section. It was almost like a challenge to them .. "If tfc can do it then impact can do it better mentality".. It was spectacular.. I commend all the traveling supporters for pulling off a great flare show.. Even the Impact supporters deserve kudos aswell..

AL-MO
05-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Which by the way It looked awsome on tv :D:D. Even the tv commentators couldn't resist in saying that security no sooner rushed to put out the fire in the TFC zone they were running down to put out the fire in the impacts supporter section. It was almost like a challenge to them .. "If tfc can do it then impact can do it better mentality".. It was spectacular.. I commend all the traveling supporters for pulling off a great flare show.. Even the Impact supporters deserve kudos aswell..

It was definitely a response.

Hell of an atmosphere in Saputo last night. Even though most in MTL were watching another game.

Don Julio
05-13-2010, 06:29 PM
There'll be lots of Central American Nights.. Keep it out of BMO, burn someone else's stadium down.

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
It was definitely a response.

Hell of an atmosphere in Saputo last night. Even though most in MTL were watching another game.

Don't matter .. I was royally impressed .. There is a good group of hard core supporters there in Montreal and i can only believe that TFC supporters running amok in thier grounds will give more montrealers reason to overrun thier own stadium.. they have two years to get thier shit together.. As for you and all the travelling supporters I am geniuinely impressed and my hat is off to all of you.. merci ,thankyou, gracias. You guys make this city proud

T_Mizz
05-13-2010, 06:41 PM
If flares were to be allowed into the hands of some kind of drunken idiot, it's only a matter of time before Frei gets the Dida treatment (flare to the head).
Possibly some kind of flare registry, ie registering to be allowed to use flares possibly some kind of mandatory fire/flare safety seminar, that way you both reduce the likelihood that something will go wrong and will know exactly who causes the trouble. Of course I'm just throwing this idea out there but in no way saying it should happen, just brainstorming.

Carts
05-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I personally don't get the obsession with flares...

People saying "...they look really cool..." or "...they're awesome, badass..." is basically what it comes down to it seems...

I don't see the attraction...

Then you see internet pages full of videos with people blogging "...check this shit out, awesome..." and show a picture of a bunch of fans holding up flares etc...

Is that why people want them so much? So they can have a picture on the web so other people at home, surfing the web, say "...awesome..."...

Meh, not for me... Love supporting the team, singing, chanting, everything... But I don't get the obsession with holding up a flare...

Hell, I bet flares close to the pitch distract the home team, just as much as the road team... It comes down to a guy running into the corner, seeing an open flame and wondering if the guy holding it is drunk enough to chuck it on the field - hitting god knows who...

Carts...

whatajoke
05-13-2010, 07:03 PM
flares? really...this is what gets u excited?

on the otherhand, flares at BMO would at least give me something more interesting to watch than the putrid soccer...

and when i say putrid soccer, i mean rotten stinky disgusting uncontrolled scared terrible sad disorganized soccer, which is on display MOST of the time. Not all the time, but most of the time...

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 07:04 PM
I personally don't get the obsession with flares...

People saying "...they look really cool..." or "...they're awesome, badass..." is basically what it comes down to it seems...

I don't see the attraction...

Then you see internet pages full of videos with people blogging "...check this shit out, awesome..." and show a picture of a bunch of fans holding up flares etc...

Is that why people want them so much? So they can have a picture on the web so other people at home, surfing the web, say "...awesome..."...

Meh, not for me... Love supporting the team, singing, chanting, everything... But I don't get the obsession with holding up a flare...

Hell, I bet flares close to the pitch distract the home team, just as much as the road team... It comes down to a guy running into the corner, seeing an open flame and wondering if the guy holding it is drunk enough to chuck it on the field - hitting god knows who...

Carts...

I get what your saying Carts.. However in defense of these expensive and dangerous objects I would probably say that its one of the best forms of saluting your team.. I can't find real reasons for its history in the sport but since i was a youngin i have always known that flares are like a deterrent to a visiting supporters group and a great way of lighting up the stadium in support of your squad.. Considering we are in a new era of footy i suppose the use of flares has run its ground.. Flares only bring up controversy however there are still many faithful that attest to these ideas.. I can condone it as long as its done in a safe environment and totally kept under control.. Let it be known there are more dangerous things that happen in a stadium that could actually harm the fans in far worse ways. I rather everyone focus on some shiny bright flames then to get into scraps or start stabbing each other.. god forbid.

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Lit flares and other open flames in soccer stadiums around the world have resulted in play stoppages, injury to players and fans, and in at least one case, the death of a spectator. They're also a beautiful addition to the beautiful game, and a dramatic, but dangerous, way to celebrate successes or vent frustrations

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/bigshots/2009/05/a_flare_for_soccer_open_flames.html

sweetlemon69
05-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Now thats football!

seriously?

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I think flares properly done look awesome and intimidating. That said, I have absolutely no problem with them being banned at BMO (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Flares are great, right up until the first time they aren't great, and some poor kid loses his vision, or someone gets burned, etc. etc. etc.

They are ultimately just cosmetic, and not worth making any deal over, let alone a big one.

- Scott

Technorgasm
05-13-2010, 07:47 PM
ya another "look at these awesome displays" thread.

I love lookin at pics like this, but since 2007 I think this is easily the the 20 or 30th such thread. . .

Don Julio
05-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Ok, let's all settle on massive dry ice machines and LED strobes! In my head it looks amazing!

1000 supporters with flashing bicycle lights under a (somewhat) breathable fog!

neuf
05-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Do we really have to revisit this debate every few months?

Carts
05-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Do we really have to revisit this debate every few months?

Its a sign we're winning...

If we lost, we would have been revisiting the "lets protest Mo" for the infinite time in a few weeks...

Carts... :D

TFCUNITED
05-13-2010, 09:21 PM
sorry bro lost you scrolling down the page when i saw the alizee paradis link.. :D

She has pretty good pictures on her facebook.

ExiledRed
05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w180/ExiledRed/rpbgraph.jpg

Wagner
05-13-2010, 09:26 PM
It does look cool.
But don't forget how that off-duty copy got serious burns on her leg after that punk kid from Stoney Creek Whipped his flair across from 111 to 112/113....like a coward.
stuff like that is so not cool.
I should be at risk of major bodily harm because some wannabe ootra hoodlum wants to look cool...but then chickens out after igniting his flare.

ExiledRed
05-13-2010, 09:34 PM
dickheads have proven they cant be allowed into BMO. Ontario health and safety, and fire regulations are too srict, and the liability issues are something MLSE probably doesnt want to deal with. Fuck man, theyve started throwing people out for tossing streamers. There are too many dickheads in our crowd, and Steve is absolutely correct, and I respect him for pointing it out.

canadian_bhoy
05-13-2010, 09:39 PM
We can't even sing a bloody song and we're going to let people hold flares?

Flares look awesome, no doubting that. My only issue with them is that it seems really timed and fake. I mean, like almost all of our chanting, it doesn't seem to matter what is going on in the match...it just becomes flare time.

If I could change one thing about TFC support it would be that all chanting/cheering/etc actually had something to do with what was going on in the match.

twistedchinaman
05-13-2010, 09:50 PM
There are waaaaaaaaay too many retards at BMO to allow yahoos to handle shit like this. Do you really want some clown behind to you setting off flares and smoke bombs?

"Sorry dude, your jackets on fire but if its any consolation…you look really cool!"

+1...sadly.

But damn, those flares look FUCKING AWESOME!

Super
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM

Flares look awesome, no doubting that. My only issue with them is that it seems really timed and fake. I mean, like almost all of our chanting, it doesn't seem to matter what is going on in the match...it just becomes flare time.

If I could change one thing about TFC support it would be that all chanting/cheering/etc actually had something to do with what was going on in the match.

+1. Fantastic post!

I love flares. I love chanting. But it should be in response to what is going on in the game. The only exception being of course the beginning of the game - which to me is THE BEST time to get the flares going anyway.

Kevvv
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I get what your saying Carts.. However in defense of these expensive and dangerous objects I would probably say that its one of the best forms of saluting your team.. I can't find real reasons for its history in the sport but since i was a youngin i have always known that flares are like a deterrent to a visiting supporters group and a great way of lighting up the stadium in support of your squad.. Considering we are in a new era of footy i suppose the use of flares has run its ground.. Flares only bring up controversy however there are still many faithful that attest to these ideas.. I can condone it as long as its done in a safe environment and totally kept under control.. Let it be known there are more dangerous things that happen in a stadium that could actually harm the fans in far worse ways. I rather everyone focus on some shiny bright flames then to get into scraps or start stabbing each other.. god forbid.

So to recap
- an object that burns at 1000+ F is dangerous
- flares are a deterrent (if used as a weapon, I suppose?)
- getting injured by a flare isn't the worst thing that could happen to you in a stadium

s2cazz
05-13-2010, 11:07 PM
There'll be lots of Central American Nights.. Keep it out of BMO, burn someone else's stadium down.

To quote that fat turd Drw Carey "Name me one stadium that burned down because of a flare."

Derko
05-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Yes.

Now thats football!

Actually that's a lot of flares. I wouldn't want to 'watch' a match in that toxic shit, might as well light up the napalm. I don't think it's really that cool. My opinion only.

FluSH
05-14-2010, 04:47 AM

Thank You!

Pookie
05-14-2010, 05:30 AM

Probably the fact that controlled pyrotechnics don't result in a couple of dipshits throwing lit flares into a crowd.

Wr4p1RB6kmg

... anyone up for a protest Mo debate? ;)

greatwhitenorf
05-14-2010, 06:02 AM
Hey, let's hurl a flaming Vespa off the west side upper deck. Inter's won a bunch of scudettos since their loonies did that.

Shakes McQueen
05-14-2010, 07:04 AM
I find the people saying "now this is football!" (for example), amusing, because flares aren't even used widely in all of the major European football leagues. The Premier League is a good example - arguably the best league in the world, and virtually no use of flares.

- Scott

koryo
05-14-2010, 07:39 AM
The difference is Fire safety and control. Those things are not safe in a crowded environment and are illegal. Not negotiable. I think they look cool too until you ask me if I'm prepared to put the safety of our fans, your family, my kids, at risk.

Spot on. As is Toronto Bhoy. Given the overwhelming number of complete muppets in the stands, flares are a non-starter.

And yes, I go to the football for the football.

If you love flares so much, then feel free to move to South America.

koryo
05-14-2010, 07:42 AM

Don't hold your breath.

For that to happen, you actually need to be able to read the game. Not to shove your gob full of so much booze that you can barely stand. Not to repeat the same chants like a fucking jukebox even though most have no relevance to what's actually happening on the field.

If Ikea sold football support, they'd sell us.

s2cazz
05-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Hey, let's hurl a flaming Vespa off the west side upper deck. Inter's won a bunch of scudettos since their loonies did that.

I find the people saying "now this is football!" (for example), amusing, because flares aren't even used widely in all of the major European football leagues. The Premier League is a good example - arguably the best league in the world, and virtually no use of flares.

- Scott

lets throw darts at each other and invade the pitch numerous times during the game. EPL is not the be all and end all of football.

s2cazz
05-14-2010, 07:47 AM
p170mCnL0mM

T_Mizz
05-14-2010, 07:52 AM
dickheads have proven they cant be allowed into BMO. Ontario health and safety, and fire regulations are too srict, and the liability issues are something MLSE probably doesnt want to deal with. Fuck man, theyve started throwing people out for tossing streamers. There are too many dickheads in our crowd, and Steve is absolutely correct, and I respect him for pointing it out.
Spot on Exiled, the real problem is not that flares should be banned the real things that should be banned are dickheads. Dickheads ruin everything. Someone get the FO on this new dickhead banning policy.

Shakes McQueen
05-14-2010, 07:53 AM
lets throw darts at each other and invade the pitch numerous times during the game. EPL is not the be all and end all of football.

None of this has anything to do with what I said. My point is that flares aren't necessarily commonplace in "real" football leagues - I'm not advocating that we do the stupid shit English fans do instead.

Nor did I say the EPL was the "be all and end all of football", I said it was arguably the best league in the world. Which it certainly is.

- Scott

koryo
05-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Oddly enough... I'm red.

Can someone post the highlights in the members-only forum when this shit finally gets closed down?

I'm guessing around Sunday lunchtime, after several pages of the "flares are awesome, we are awesome so we should have flares. Anyone who doesn't like flares is an uptight Brit" vs "fuck off" thing of course.

Oldtimer
05-14-2010, 07:57 AM
They look really cool. But if organized, responsible people bring them in and use them safely, there will always be some idiots inspired by that to use them dangerously, throw them, etc. They don't really belong in crowed stadiums.

http://96.img.v4.skyrock.net/96e/ultras-life/pics/293716487_small.jpg

There is a reason why OGC Nice has a big fence in their south end (where the "Brigade Sud" stand). The rest of the stadium doesn't have a large fence.

Now smoke bombs are much safer and also look quite cool:

http://www.daniellui.com/tfccolumbus2008/images/_MG_2216.jpg

Parkdale
05-14-2010, 08:00 AM

not to be a spoil sport, but the smoke that comes out of a smoke machine is entirely different from the smoke you get off a smoke bomb. One is tested to ensure there will be no harmful effects, and one is designed to attract airplanes to sinking ships - with zero concern for breathing in the fumes.

Phil
05-14-2010, 08:04 AM

And with that thread closed before some really stupid things get posted.