PDA

View Full Version : Mo Johnston!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 12:26 PM
For the last 4 years....he has been shit on for every bad move...but

GIVE THE MAN CREDIT!!!......

DERO....DEGUZAMN.....OBW....CHAD BARRETT.. FRIE....ECT>>>ECT>>>ECT

Some good players that have come and GONE!!...EDU( $$$$ GRASS)...SERIOUX..BRENNAN..DICHIO...GUEVARA..ROBBO

His only downfall

For the last 4 years he was missing one ingredient!!! He couldnt seem to bring in the right man to lead his team!!

A Coach who plays SYSTEM FOOTBALL!!!! and he has now found that!!!!

IN PREKI WE TRUST!!!!!

thank you MO!

Patience my friends.....something special is brewing here in TORONTO!! We are not there yet....but its very close!

You can see it on the players faces!

http://i43.tinypic.com/111ntdk.jpg

J .
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Preki and DeRo have been his best moves.

But his tenure depends on the playoffs.

Beach_Red
05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Ha ha, this is going to be funny.

It is possible hat Mo has been learning on the job. If that's true, it's disgraceful. I have no idea if Mo should be fired or not, but I do think that he shouldn't have been doing the job by himself for this long. This team has been profitable enough to have had a much more experienced VP of soccer running the operation and a much more experienced manager. I do feel blaming Mo (or even giving him credit) is misplaced.

Look, the Maple Leafs have two bona fide, experienced, NHL General Managers, both paid at the top level of NHL GMs and how many asistants? and TFC gets one guy with a half season experience?

Okay, so nw he's a guy with three years of experience, but we shouldn't have been required to pay for his on-the-job training.

Cannon
05-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Remind me again how has our road record been so far this season?

Hustle
05-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I knew a thread like this was coming....lol.

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I still think Mo should be fired based on past performance. The fact that Preki has managed to mold these guys into something potentially competitive doesn't look good on Mo - it begs the question of why the fuck it took Mo three years to get the kind of coach he needed.

- Scott

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Remind me again how has our road record been so far this season?

thats up to a man named....PREKI......and he's been asked that question a hundred times..since the 4-1 beating to the FIRE!!!...

He'll figure it out.....i have all the trust in this guy....he's turning this team upside down quicker then anyone thought!

jaxul
05-13-2010, 12:42 PM
We should have expectations proportional to the market we play in. Toronto is a waaaay better football market than say Columbus. The management's goal should be for us to reach such a level to consistently hang with the top 3-4 in the league. Get better scouting (that doesn't count against the cap!), better training staff, etc the list goes on and on. For the quality of TFC's fans, anything less than a 2nd round in the playoffs should be a disappointment every season.

Parkdale
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I think Preki is doing a decent job in spite of Mo, not because of him.

anyway, what's important is that the guys are gelling on the field.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000052XX2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Shaughno
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Are you gellin'?

Cannon
05-13-2010, 12:45 PM
thats up to a man named....PREKI......and he's been asked that question a hundred times..since the 4-1 beating to the FIRE!!!...

He'll figure it out.....i have all the trust in this guy....he's turning this team upside down quicker then anyone thought!

So it's Preki's fault that we've been terrible on the road but its because of Mo that the team has been playing well as of late?

Cmon man don't give me that shit.

The fact remains through the first 3 seasons Mo has done little to make this franchise a successful one relying on cheap gimmicks and quick fixes to get by. Do you not think that if the players who are playing now were together all of preseason we might have a couple more wins under our belt? That farce lies right at the feet of our fearless leader :facepalm:.

ilikemusic
05-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Four years, 10th place in the league and two straight wins in all competitions!

Give the man another extension. He has clearly turned this team around!

Kaz
05-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Mo needs to Go.
Doesn't matter if we make the play-off or not. Most of the players that are on the squad that he is getting credit for were shouted for by the fans. Right down to Gerba, who we didn't have enough info on, and if he wasn't fit or going to be right, then he shouldn't have been signed particularly if it meant taking Garcia.

Mo Needs to Go even if we win the Club World Cup.

I don't know if anyone notices this but we are 10th in the league right now.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I still think Mo should be fired based on past performance. The fact that Preki has managed to mold these guys into something potentially competitive doesn't look good on Mo - it begs the question of why the fuck it took Mo three years to get the kind of coach he needed.

- Scott

John Carver..came with a great resume....i had no problem with that move...and along with many more in here thought it was a great move....But John couldnt adapt to MLS!....and so be it...he left and he moved on!!

Cummings...he was a filler and we all knew that until Mo Signed PREKI..

We were an expansion team coming into the league.... We wanted glory asap..!!

I truly think PREKI can lead this group of guys to good things....now it will be up to mo to add a few more ingredients...time will tell

Beach_Red
05-13-2010, 12:49 PM

- Scott

Yes, it does beg that question, too bad no one's ever bothered to ask it anywhere but here. Or ask any question about the way the front office was set-up and run from the very beginning. We're basing opinions of peoples' job performances on the assumption that the front office was properly set-up, budgeted and staffed from the beginning.

Even now, when the media is starting to question those things and show how much more other teams (not even expansion team) have put into their operations, we still aren't.

Suds
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Are you gellin'?

I'm gellin' .... you gellin'?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I think Preki is doing a decent job in spite of Mo, not because of him.

anyway, what's important is that the guys are gelling on the field.

Why would MO have anything to do with PREKI doing a decent job???..

PREKI is the coach..His performance..and gelling of the team would have nothing to do with him anyway!

Roogsy
05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I knew a thread like this was coming....lol.

I am making my way out of this thread before my head explodes.

One good month and all of a sudden we're ok with the man. Sure...that undoes 3 years of absolute incompetence. :facepalm:

Beach_Red
So it's Preki's fault that we've been terrible on the road but its because of Mo that the team has been playing well as of late?

The fact remains through the first 3 seasons Mo has done little to make this franchise a successful one relying on cheap gimmicks and quick fixes to get by. Do you not think that if the players who are playing now were together all of preseason we might have a couple more wins under our belt? That farce lies right at the feet of our fearless leader :facepalm:.

^ That's all true, but whose decisions were they? Why did it happen like that? Cheap gimmicks and quick fixes are usually the result of budget and very short-term planning - to be expected from someone on a series of one-year contracts making getting to the next one-year contract a priority.

Preki was hired in November, but no player moves made. Does that sound like a coaching/managing choice or a money decision?

No one is asking the upper management these questions, so we don't know, but we can see what it looks like. I looks like this team is developing exactly the way it was planned.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB

Preki fault?...MO credit for doing well as of late??

where the hell are you pulling that from?
lol

That post you are referring to was me saying PREKI will figure out our ROAD Problems!! :) I have no doubt...hes the Coach!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
haha....Bascially i started this thread..to say.....Well done MO you finally have gotten a coach who plays SYSTEM football! :)

jaxul
05-13-2010, 01:05 PM
haha....Bascially i started this thread..to say.....Well done MO you finally have gotten a coach who plays SYSTEM football! :)

You can bring freakin' Ferguson as your coach, if you don't have the talent...there is nothing to be done. Still think that poor scouting is at the root of the problem.

bgnewf
05-13-2010, 01:06 PM
haha....Bascially I started this thread..to say.....Well done MO you finally have gotten a coach who plays SYSTEM football! :)

With due respect, where was the coach three seasons ago? That and his gross mismanagment of the salary cap are far and away Mo's largest mistakes since coming to Toronto. (and of course the TFC "First Wave" Scouting Department)

Bringing in Preki looks so far like a smart move. I think I will wait to pass final judgement upon him until we have a full season body of work on which to judge. Two good games does not a season make.

Bottom line...I think the club has done well of late in spite of Mo and not because of him.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
With due respect, where was the coach three seasons ago? That and his gross mismanagment of the salary cap are far and away Mo's largest mistakes since coming to Toronto. (and of course the TFC "First Wave" Scouting Department)

Bringing in Preki looks so far like a smart move. I think I will wait to pass final judgement upon him until we have a full season body of work on which to judge. Two good games does not a season make.

Bottom line...I think the club has done well of late in spite of Mo and not because of him.

As i said before..in season 2 we took in CArver....here is man who came with a great RESUME...Learned his trade under some top football names in England..

He just couldnt figure out...MLS....who can sometimes..;)

He moved on...Im sure you thought it was a great move by MO? Who wouldnt?

It didnt pan out..Carver moved on..

As for the team doing well as of late...being a happy camp...ect..ect..Of course its not because of MO...i give full credit to PREKI...

But my hat does go off to the man who signed this guy to be our coach....im not saying im PRO MO....all im saying that on this move he has done it right!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 01:16 PM
You can bring freakin' Ferguson as your coach, if you don't have the talent...there is nothing to be done. Still think that poor scouting is at the root of the problem.

we have alot of gaps here..for sure.....but we also seem to have a good core of players...again Preki has done wonders for this team!

Oldtimer
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
MO-ral failings:

The lies concerning Dichio and his "fragile" health last season
Promising Dasovic that he was the coach, then appointing Cummins
Interfering with Cummins' roster decisions
Serioux being texted that he was let go, classless
The lie that it was MLS that wanted JC on the field

I could go on and on.

Sure, most GMs have a scummy side, it's part of the business, but with MoJo the sleaze just oozes out.
I want him gone for reasons other than results on the pitch (although he's done horrible for the first 3 years).

I want him gone because I want TFC to be a club I can be proud of, not some shady operation that players warn each other to stay away from.

Kaz
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
YOu keep saying he gave us Preki, but you forget Preki isn't a good coach, he's an adequate play it safe coach. He has no Killer Instinct. He can get us to the play-offs each year but will fail every time because he has no ability to say ok, go kill them..

He's never made it past the Group Stage in Multi-national Competition, and Never past the Quarterfinals in Domestic.

And he can't. He just doesn't have that instinct to win, he will always play it safe and in Sports that is the kiss of death.

Our only hope is that Barrett, OBW and DERO gel into a scoring machine and that Preki actually occasionally has all three on the field togeather.

Had he started Barrett OBW and DERO for the game there would have been 2 more goals last night. Preki played for a tie for the first half, and then hoped to push forward second.

I understand why, but he'll do it again in LA and we will be down by at least 1 going to half because of it. And he'll do it again in Vancouver and I think there, we will end up tieing that game.

I hope I'm wrong, but Preki's record says I'm not

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 01:34 PM
YOu keep saying he gave us Preki, but you forget Preki isn't a good coach, he's an adequate play it safe coach. He has no Killer Instinct. He can get us to the play-offs each year but will fail every time because he has no ability to say ok, go kill them..

He's never made it past the Group Stage in Multi-national Competition, and Never past the Quarterfinals in Domestic.

And he can't. He just doesn't have that instinct to win, he will always play it safe and in Sports that is the kiss of death.

Our only hope is that Barrett, OBW and DERO gel into a scoring machine and that Preki actually occasionally has all three on the field togeather.

Had he started Barrett OBW and DERO for the game there would have been 2 more goals last night. Preki played for a tie for the first half, and then hoped to push forward second.

I understand why, but he'll do it again in LA and we will be down by at least 1 going to half because of it. And he'll do it again in Vancouver and I think there, we will end up tieing that game.

I hope I'm wrong, but Preki's record says I'm not

haha....you should start your own thread!! that would be thread of the year!

Oldtimer
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Not to mention, the biggest lie of all, that getting into the playoffs in the 4th year is enough of an achievement to keep the GM job, when we should have been challenging for the MLS Cup each and every year from year 3 onward, at the latest.

Kaz
05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
haha....you should start your own thread!! that would be thread of the year!

The same shite you see him doing now to "manage fitness levels" is what he has always done, which is why he has never coached a team out of the first round of any competition. He's not will to sacrifice one game for another in order to win a competition, he only cares about the over all record.

And in Competitions and playoffs it isn't good enough, and that is why he has never made it past the first round of anything..

Beach_Red
05-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Not to mention, the biggest lie of all, that getting into the playoffs in the 4th year is enough of an achievement to keep the GM job, when we should have been challenging for the MLS Cup each and every year from year 3 onward, at the latest.

Sure, but if these owners had wanted to get into the playoffs sooner they would have made different decisions - they would have done like Seattle (and even Vancouver) and brought in a full, experienced front office, hired some scouts, etc., but instead they hired a fall-guy.

This is a different issue than how you feel about Mo Johnston.

ManUtd4ever
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Preki is obviously primarily responsible for the moderate success TFC has enjoyed as of late but in fairness, Mo deserves some of the credit as well despite his inability to assemble a full roster in the preseason. Mo drafted or acquired the existing core of the squad and hired the coach that seems to elevating the tactical and defensive acumen of our beloved club. I'm willing to give Mo until the end of the season before demanding his head on a platter...

DichioTFC
05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Looks like RPB_RED_NATION_RPB (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/member.php?u=274) is Mo himself.

Mo has continually screwed up. Any success we have now is directly attributable to Preki. On a residual basis Mo will receive credit for any team success but his negatives clearly outweigh his positives.

Any of us could be GMs, throw some shit together and say that we planned for success if it becomes successful. But the nature of GM takes hard work and is a very specialized position. It takes a strategic focus with short-term criteria. Mo is simply not cut out for the job.

The recent controversies are only additional fodder for getting rid of Mo. His boss (Anselmi) and even the Mayor of Toronto have been indirectly critical of Mo (the opening press conference of this season). Mo had his chance, he failed miserably and I feel no sympathy towards him. He'll find a great job in Scotland that he'll manage to screw up miserably again so yeah, don't feel bad for ol' Mo

DichioTFC
05-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Giving Mo credit for Preki's success is like giving participation awards to kids for everything.

People shouldn't get credit for failing to win. Similarly, Mo shouldn't get credit for Preki's actions that turned out successfully.

maninb
05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
If it wasn't for Mo we'd have a BOAT LOAD of cap room to spend on some players...we still desperately need another wide defender, and a striker....and apparently don't have the cash to afford them....

Pachuco
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
WOW, I don't know what else to say. If Red Nation only knew he looks just as irrational as the folks who opened threads 3 years ago saying fire Mo.

I'm still curious how the first three years of Mo being in charge has anything to do with this year. The number of players, coaches still around can be counted on 1 finger.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Giving Mo credit for Preki's success is like giving participation awards to kids for everything.

People shouldn't get credit for failing to win. Similarly, Mo shouldn't get credit for Preki's actions that turned out successfully.

the only credit i gave MO was bringing in a Coach like PREKI....

PREKI'S success will be apon himself...NOT MO!......Im for one not gving mo credit for that...dont know where your grabbing that from?

"People shouldn't get credit for failing to win. Similarly, Mo shouldn't get credit for Preki's actions that turned out successfully"

but i sure you'd hang MO in a second if preki wasnt successful?

TFC USA
05-13-2010, 02:40 PM
You better be fucking explaining yourself if our season is down the toilet in July. What a stupid thread.

QUICK! Name our last road win in MLS.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
WOW, I don't know what else to say. If Red Nation only knew he looks just as irrational as the folks who opened threads 3 years ago saying fire Mo.

I'm still curious how the first three years of Mo being in charge has anything to do with this year. The number of players, coaches still around can be counted on 1 finger.

HOw many times do i have to say it.....I'll give MO credit for brining it a guy like PREKI to take charge of this team....Im not on here defending him for the mistakes...the mistreatment of players...ect..ect.ect... Im simply saying the PREKI move seems to be a great move on his part..PERIOD!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
You better be fucking explaining yourself if our season is down the toilet in July. What a stupid thread.

QUICK! Name our last road win in MLS.

READ though the thread..hot shot!.....I know the record...and Prekis been ask the question a hundred times since last week. Im sure its top of his priorty!

and as for EXPLAINING myself....This is a f'ing thread...on my own opinion...you dont like it....F-OFF!

Oldtimer
05-13-2010, 02:47 PM
This thread is patently stupid.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
This thread is patently stupid.

Close it ...Opinions mean shit obviously!

grizzle
05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Please ban OP. You can unban if we win the rest of the games this season and the cup and all cups.

mclaren
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
This forum is hilarious...we win a game against a USL side and all of a sudden Mo is forgiven for driving this club into the ground.

H Bomb
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Sorry homey but youve said over a few posts that what youre really doing is giving mo credit for bringing in preki. Well we win at home...nothing new, especially early on. And preki can be held responsible for not giving us a chance to win at rsl. Weve had good early runs each year. Preki may come good and then you can give mo credit for bringing him in. But its far too early, two months too early,

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Sorry homey but youve said over a few posts that what youre really doing is giving mo credit for bringing in preki. Well we win at home...nothing new, especially early on. And preki can be held responsible for not giving us a chance to win at rsl. Weve had good early runs each year. Preki may come good and then you can give mo credit for bringing him in. But its far too early, two months too early,

Not disagreeing.....I beleive MO made a great move...in bringing in PREKI...I admit that!... And yes this thread was only to say ..im very happy to see Preki as our coach! yes its early but he is making progress!

The team has had a different mood lately....they are playing as a team.....hell i even see smiles on Chad Barrett!

Obvisouly people have issues with MO Johnson and that will never change...BUt this has been one of his better moves regardless....

The threads been derailed anyway...

cheers

TFC USA
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Sorry but hiring Preki doesn't make up for Garcia, Welsh, Robert, Ricketts, Johann Smith, Ruiz....anyone want to carry on?

Longest goalless streak in MLS history.

We haven't won on the road in 10 months in league play.

No playoffs while the Sounders are in the playoffs and RSL has done very well.

5-0 against RBNY when we had no choice to win.

All that's forgiven now though since we have won 2 in a row against Chicago and Montreal.

Section 117
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
IMO even if we make the playoffs he needs to be canned. He has screwed up the salary cap so bad that it will take a few years to undo his mess....

Secondly, yes Mo hired Preki but I can assure you that Preki hasn't and will not let Mo have any say on the day to day management of the team.

One last thing it is my understanding that Preki's hiring came as a suprise to most MLS insiders as it is well known that they really don't get along that well since their days in KC..

Just my 2 cents and oh yeah FIRE MO

H Bomb
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I hope youre right, but im really not convinced yet. I see the settling of jdg and another usable striker(ob) as well as not having garcia in the middle as the difference in team play and attitude. Time will tell, if we actually keep winning people wont care enough to hate mo. I guess this would be a bad place to say its obvious the team captain is actually julian:)

TFC USA
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
The clincher with Mo is the handling of Dichio and Robbo. Unless we're an elite team by season's end or close to it then he has to go.

J .
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Not disagreeing.....I beleive MO made a great move...in bringing in PREKI...I admit that!... And yes this thread was only to say ..im very happy to see Preki as our coach! yes its early but he is making progress!

The team has had a different mood lately....they are playing as a team.....hell i even see smiles on Chad Barrett!

Obvisouly people have issues with MO Johnson and that will never change...BUt this has been one of his better moves regardless....

cheers

Dont worry man, hopefully we are right, the team keeps improving. If it doesnt, he is gone. So I dont get why the hate, but if we lose the forums are filled with hate, if we win, more hate.

Preki was a major addition, he did a very good job at Chivas and has definately improved our squad in the backend and in the final 15 minutes of a match.

flatpicker
05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/brushstroke-man/supermo.jpg

;)

Gixmo
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
I am confused. What the heck is going on in here.

TFC USA
05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
I hate people who don't think and come out of the woodwork when the team wins to say "I told you so" to the Mo "haters".

Based on our history, do you think 2 games is worth popping a boner and saying Mo is a good GM after all? Not a chance.

H Bomb
05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
I hate people who don't think and come out of the woodwork when the team wins to say "I told you so" to the Mo "haters".

Based on our history, do you think 2 games is worth popping a boner and saying Mo is a good GM after all? Not a chance.

Chill homey. Youre hyperbolizing (actually a word...who knew) the situation.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 03:24 PM

answer this...MO bringing in PREKI...GOOD OR BAD!?

Cause you obviously don't get my POST...

I told you so....woodworks?? jezzus !

ManUtd4ever
05-13-2010, 03:25 PM

;)

LMFAO!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 03:28 PM

;)

resurrected from the early days?? Ive seen this before!:D

flatpicker
05-13-2010, 03:30 PM
^ yup... it's an oldie

It's good to reuse and recycle.

I think it comes from the days when everyone still loved Mo.... yeah, there was a time.

Bluenose13
05-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Cause you obviously don't get my POST...Scotty......It takes big balls to come out & congratulate Mo for anything.

Good on you for having the balls to start this thread when you knew the haters would come with guns a blazing.

There are some things that he has done well & should get credit for......Overall he has failed & needs to go.

Oldtimer
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM

TOO EARLY TO TELL!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Scotty......It takes big balls to come out & congratulate Mo for anything.

Good on you for having the balls to start this thread when you knew the haters would come with guns a blazing.

There are some things that he has done well & should get credit for......Overall he has failed & needs to go.

Im not gona disagree with you there Geoff!......he has failed in alot of area and has made a few good moves too..

and does most likely need to go

Im a big backer of Preki's i like his style..i like his no bullshit attitude...i like it all!

MO made this happen.....and i'll give him props for that!

cheers bro!

jaxul
05-13-2010, 03:53 PM

He barely coached a handful of games. Let's let the season play out and then reassess preki's performance. Even at the end of the season we must take into consideration the "assets" preki had to work with. At the end of the day we must settle on being happy with the coach making the best out of a very average team. Then the obvious question comes: well who put the team together?

Oldtimer
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Mo was desparate - he's close to losing his job.

Preki was available - fired by Chivas

No one else with an MLS track record was willing to come to T.O. and work under Mo.

So... Mo hires Preki.

So I don't understand. Why does Mo deserve any credit for this? Please enlighten me.

Mikey
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
LOL!
Total collapse year four of a five year plan. If we don't make the play-offs AGAIN this year TFC will have set another record to go with our longest goal drought record.....

Yay Mo!:picard:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
He barely coached a handful of games. Let's let the season play out and then reassess preki's performance. Even at the end of the season we must take into consideration the "assets" preki had to work with. At the end of the day we must settle on being happy with the coach making the best out of a very average team. Then the obvious question comes: well who put the team together?

Totally agree...

Ive seen a huge differnce in this teams attitude..since camp...The assets preki has to deal with is tough in its own...of course we need lots of help....I not defending MO JOHNSTON here....

this team had to be whipped into shape....yea its early in the season...blah blah blah...it to early to tell....

But if anyone hasnt seen a change in the way this team is playing since Camp...is blind... and I think one person is responisble for this new attitude if you'd like to call it that....its PREKI

TFC USA
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Oldtimer don't you get it? Mo could've gone out and hired Jonny Dickscratcher but he didn't. He hired PREKI!

Seriously, it's a good hiring but wasn't it an easy one to make?

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM

No one else with an MLS track record was willing to come to T.O. and work under Mo.

So... Mo hires Preki.

So I don't understand. Why does Mo deserve any credit for this? Please enlighten me.

ok..your right!

close the f'in thread

Beach_Red
05-13-2010, 04:07 PM

So... Mo hires Preki.

Yes, Preki was the most obvious choice. The same as Burke was for the Leafs. And they'd never get into any kind of bidding war with another team or face the kind of tampering charges Seattle did with Sigi.

This team could spend more money than any other MLS team on management - they could spend double or triple what any other team spends and they could pay any tampering fine the league levied against them and hire any manager they want. But they won't.

Hustle
05-13-2010, 04:25 PM
ok..your right!

close the f'in thread

RPB RED NATION had 3 pages of fight in him, but we all knew the beat down was inevitable!

RPB's dont; let RPB's defend Mo. :D

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 04:28 PM
RPB RED NATION had 3 pages of fight in him, but we all knew the beat down was inevitable!

RPB's dont; let RPB's defend Mo. :D

LOL! Just made my day!
cheers M8!

PS

Im almost convinced its MO's FAULT ..PREKI is coaching in TORONTO! ;)

MFG1
05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
FIRE MO, Mo has to still go, no Mo of this charade

I dont care if TFC wins the MLS cup.The debate is worn out more than a cucumber in a convent. the arrogant little prick should leave

J .
05-13-2010, 05:52 PM
FIRE MO, Mo has to still go, no Mo of this charade

I dont care if TFC wins the MLS cup.The debate is worn out more than a cucumber in a convent. the arrogant little prick should leave

LOL

Yay we win the cup, now youre fired?

spot-on
05-13-2010, 06:14 PM
all these CAPITALS and exclamation marks are making my face hurt!

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
MO-ral failings:

I could go on and on.

Sure, most GMs have a scummy side, it's part of the business, but with MoJo the sleaze just oozes out.
I want him gone for reasons other than results on the pitch (although he's done horrible for the first 3 years).

I want him gone because I want TFC to be a club I can be proud of, not some shady operation that players warn each other to stay away from.

Haha thankyou oldtimer.. I can always depend on you to bring back reality into the fold.. I can't possibly agree more with you ..

jazzy
05-13-2010, 06:38 PM
MO-ral failings:

I could go on and on.

Frame it......Lest you change of hearters forget

s2cazz
05-13-2010, 06:44 PM
FACK!!!! You guys are mood swinging worse than my wife when she's... well you know...

One day we want to hang him...Next he's ok

He's still shit in my book. Anything short of the MLS Cup (which may happen, just like me winning the lottery) AXE HIS ASS!!!

TOBOR !
05-13-2010, 06:48 PM
thre's lots of time for the wheels to fall off the wagon. It happens every year. I'm not convinced that Preki has 'em screwed on tight enough yet.

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
thre's lots of time for the wheels to fall off the wagon. It happens every year. I'm not convinced that Preki has 'em screwed on tight enough yet.

yup.. i second this .. I hope to god im wrong .. but lets see what this weekend brings for tfc. It will be a true test to preki's magic as so many feel that this club has finally gelled. I have a gut feeling that our road woes still linger. I can say that maybe tfc ties with LA this weekend at best..

jloome
05-13-2010, 07:17 PM

cheers

The thread hasn't been derailed, everyone just horribly disagrees with you, because your position is completely irrational. You weren't simply making the point that he hired Preki, as you mentioned several other players he brought in, as well.

No, your apparent love for Mo Johnston has no basis in common sense. Ask the 80-odd bodies in and out of here. And by the way, we're 3-4. I'm optimistic too, but good grief.

jloome
05-13-2010, 07:19 PM
And I quote: "His only downfall

For the last 4 years he was missing one ingredient!!! He couldnt seem to bring in the right man to lead his team!!"

So cut the shit.

jazzy
05-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Road wins? Not to likely, although I'm not writing anything off, we will get our share, because the boys WANT IT as team.......Is it Preki? DeRO as captain, everyone having their bit to do in the team picture?..Yup....They do have a system, but if anything happens to 1 or 2 key players, look out....We'll all be at square 1., and it is because we are getting the most out of everyone right now. Which is fantastick, but it is a long and rugged season......without any cap space....thats are limitation for this year....Moe knows his mistake, he learned it here.........but at what cost?

DichioTFC
05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
7 hours without defending Mo? What's going on!!!

Btw, I get the OP's original intent... Hiring Preki = contract extension. Maybe we should put him on the Wall of Honour as well, eh?

I agree with the OP we should also let drunk drivers off the hook... after all, they were wearing their seatbelts! They made one great decision! Just like Mo!
:picard: <--- (the small facepalm didn't do this thread justice)

DichioTFC
05-13-2010, 11:18 PM
TOO EARLY TO TELL!!!!

I agree. I need more time to judge Mo. The question isn't if we give him a contract extension but how long should that contract extension be?

Five years was simply too much to ask from Mo. We should give him a few extra years.... I'm thinking 9 year extension...

Oldtimer
05-14-2010, 05:39 AM
I agree. I need more time to judge Mo. The question isn't if we give him a contract extension but how long should that contract extension be?

Five years was simply too much to ask from Mo. We should give him a few extra years.... I'm thinking 9 year extension...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I meant it is too early to judge Preki. I already know that Mo Must Go.

__wowza
05-14-2010, 08:51 AM
honestly, i thought this thread was a joke at first.
he game us preki, dero, OBW, etc, etc.

look at who we've given up.
look at the number of coaches we've had.
look at how hard we had to ask for basics.

we're still outt've a playoff position, behind teams that've played less games than we have. may i offer you a refill of your kool-aid?

koryo
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Any upturn in results is Preki's doing. I know Mo brought him in but that doesn't make up for the previous three years.

P-NUTZ
05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
mo is a complete sneaky pig.

i said this at the beginning of the season and i'll say it again:
Mo is desperately trying to undo everything he has fouled up over the last three years through Preki this year.
But, Preki himself is a sensible and solid coach, and making this team better everyday. Only preki gets credit for that and i will support him all year.

Hitcho
05-14-2010, 09:53 AM
A good coach can cover up a GM's failings, at least to a certain point. And most of Mo's best player acquisitions have been no brainers - Brennan (who really wanted to come here), Edu (everyone's top draft pick), De Ro, etc. I give Mo credit for DD and Robbo, and for planning the draft well enough to get Frei as low as we did (or was it just luck?), but even the De Ro deal wasn't that great because De Ro wanted to come here, and inf act what it seems Mo did was promise him the earth to get him to sign and then fail to deliver, now the guys is pissed off about it.

So, what has Mo really done that's "great"? He took a punt on Dichio and it worked brilliantly, much, much better than he could ever have hoped for, and that's down to Danny more than Mo. He brought Robbo in, which was a good move but turned sour (sound familiar?) in the end because he screwed that whole situation up.

On the other hand, Mo has almost limitless screw ups and bad points. He's brought in countless overpaid and crap players, he's alienated everyone from coaching staff to players to fans to the media, he's reported from numerous sources to be a poisonous and untrustworthy influence in the dressing room and when it comes to coaching matters, he's lied openly to just about everyone, he's created a revolving door of players for four straight years, he's overseen a succession of shit league performances and finishes which still shows no real signs of coming to a definite end and he's singularly failed (or refused) to accept any blame or responsibility for any of the above fuck ups and bad moves. Instead, he finds scapegoats, whether players or coaches, and stabs them in the back.

So if you weight the "good" against the limitless bad, then it's pretty clear he has to go. And one last thing, which is going to become a HUGE factor if he stays on as GM - he's developed a slimeball, untrustworthy, snake of a reputation among players and coaches, known as someone who makes and then breaks promises, interferes in coaching and team selection and is generally disliked. Which means going forward players and coaches will not want to come to TFC and have to deal with him. Even other GMs will eventually not want to deal with him. And that would a hammer blow to TFC ever becoming a real force in MLS.

MO MUST GO. A couple of home wins doesn't change that, not one bit.

reggie
05-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Mo...is still with the team??
the guy is in hiding,never talks to the press or the fans unlike burke or colangelo or the bluejay gm whatever his name is.
he had jimmy b.doing that mthly show last month.
the guy is a coward...

P-NUTZ
05-14-2010, 10:02 AM
What was that story about him from way back when as a player? Something about saying yes to both rangers and celtic, and running off with the highest bidder? They have a nick name for him in scotland, dont they?

jloome
05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
I feel a certain sympathy for him.

I've talked to people who've actually known the guy and like him, so on the one hand, I see this guy who's just had a terribly inept track record as a GM, when you look past the superficial, and whom people describe as duplicitous.

But I've also interviewed thousands of different types of people over the last 22 years, and can tell you that often that sort of behaviour is due to personal emotional and/or mental stressors that lead to egocentric self-defense, often in cases where it's not warranted or justified. I know: I ran a newsroom for six years, and while I tried to be fair, there were times when I just wasn't, and even times when, for reasons I thought justified at the time, I behaved in ways I"m not proud of now. That's often what happens when a guy who's a good producer and wiz at some aspects of a trade gets promoted to management, when he's not emotionally well-suited to that role.

He's had a weird life, by anyone's standards, and I don't know the man well enough to subscribe to this notion that, because he's a bad GM and may have been slimy at times, by definition he's a bad person.

That's seems a little simplistic and unfair.

Beach_Red
05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
^ Yes, when you take all that speculation and set it aside, what we see is a guy who was in over his head from the very beginning.

I'm sure when you ran the newsroom you noticed a big difference in the performance of people depending on how much they were supported by their bosses and how many people were actually doing the job. It's one of the biggest complaints form people in the print media over the last twenty years, how the downsizing has resulted in fewer people doing more work - and the work suffering.

I wonder how the first three years of TFC would have been if they had hired a three person front office with experience the way Vancouver has.

P-NUTZ
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
i feel sympathy for the fans who don't have his paycheck, nor a job in soccer, but who decide to pay some hard earned $ on the game they love and trust it to an organization and the one who runs the club, to deliver a product that they can enjoy more than not - and either way at least leave without thinking they may be getting taken advantage of or ripped off. If this wasn't sports entertainment, but banking, or daycare or an education - one would not empathize for the one in charge so easily.

jloome
05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
i feel sympathy for the fans who don't have his paycheck, nor a job in soccer, but who decide to pay some hard earned $ on the game they love and trust it to an organization and the one who runs the club, to deliver a product that they can enjoy more than not - and either way at least leave without thinking they may be getting taken advantage of or ripped off. If this wasn't sports entertainment, but banking, or daycare or an education - one would not empathize for the one in charge so easily.

True. But we'd have a naturally higher expectation of competency, as well, because those things are actually important.

I love footie -- it's my biggest hobby, and I don't have many -- but I don't like personalizing any of my ire, these days, unless it's aimed at incremental improvement on a larger scale, and that's rarely the case.

DOMIN8R
05-14-2010, 09:08 PM
For many reasons supporters need to look past Mo and look at T.A. Tom has made some great decisions - assuming he was responsible for MLS inToronto, had a hand in the getting 3 levels of government to cost share the price of building the stadium and influenced the purchase of the MLS franchise in the first place.

Business seems to be good for MLSE (except for the Marlies). So T.A. should be recognized for that.

But his ability to put the right sports/team management/governance in place is suspect across all MLSE sport franchise assets. Collangelo was arguably the best. Mo? Not so much.

DichioTFC
05-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I feel a certain sympathy for him.

I've talked to people who've actually known the guy and like him, so on the one hand, I see this guy who's just had a terribly inept track record as a GM, when you look past the superficial, and whom people describe as duplicitous.

But I've also interviewed thousands of different types of people over the last 22 years, and can tell you that often that sort of behaviour is due to personal emotional and/or mental stressors that lead to egocentric self-defense, often in cases where it's not warranted or justified. I know: I ran a newsroom for six years, and while I tried to be fair, there were times when I just wasn't, and even times when, for reasons I thought justified at the time, I behaved in ways I"m not proud of now. That's often what happens when a guy who's a good producer and wiz at some aspects of a trade gets promoted to management, when he's not emotionally well-suited to that role.

He's had a weird life, by anyone's standards, and I don't know the man well enough to subscribe to this notion that, because he's a bad GM and may have been slimy at times, by definition he's a bad person.

That's seems a little simplistic and unfair.

It is unfair to judge Mo as a person based on what little we know of him personally. I understand where the emotional sentiments are coming from because of the connection we all have with the club, but it really is not fair to take this onto a personal level. As far as I'm concerned, he was hired to do a job and he failed, thus he should be relieved of his duties; judgments strictly on a professional level. Going to the personal level is childish and not classy at all. How he dealt with the Celtic / Rangers part of his own playing career was his own decision, and its unfair to out him for this when countless others transfer from Leafs / Habs, Celtics / Lakers, Red Sox / Yankees, etc.

However, feeling sympathy for him I do not. Feeling "bad" for Mo is akin to feeling bad for Dubya Bush. This isn't a charity, you get paid to do a job. If you fail continuously for years, you should be relieved of your duties. Nature of the corporate environment.

TFC USA
05-15-2010, 06:42 PM
It's impossible to feel bad for Dubya. Not every mentally handicapped person deserves sympathy. :D

DichioTFC
05-15-2010, 06:48 PM
It's impossible to feel bad for Dubya. Not every mentally handicapped person deserves sympathy. :D

62,040,610 people felt sympathetic to him in 2004
:rolleyes:

TFC USA
05-15-2010, 07:01 PM
It's because we're a nation of retards. :D

All the smart people moved out.

druid
05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
What was that story about him from way back when as a player? Something about saying yes to both rangers and celtic, and running off with the highest bidder? They have a nick name for him in scotland, dont they?

That's pretty accurate. He signed a contract with one team, a payment was missed to the selling club which gave him the loop hole to break contract and go to another team. He then lied about the circumstances for years and made the move at a very emotional time for one of the teams involved. It probably wouldn't have been possible in another country but the Scottish FA has been riddled with corruption for decades.

The two nicknames that I've heard connected to Mo are: Le Petit Merde and Judas.

There are also rumours about taxes, substances abuse, and other things that paint a picture of short sighted self interest and shallowness. Allegedly.

But he is charming. Just not charming enough to live in Scotland safely...

MFG1
05-15-2010, 10:53 PM
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck, get rid of the POS.