PDA

View Full Version : Media coverage of the post-game Habs "celebration"

ensco
05-13-2010, 08:38 AM
This is the kind of thing that drives us all crazy.

The Gazette white-washed the whole thing, with a damn near ridiculous headline: Post-game celebration goes 'well' despite looting, arrests
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Montreal+fans+loot+stores+after+Game/3019684/story.html

CBC leads with the idea that only "thugs" were involved (by using the word "thug" instead of using the word "hooligan" or similar, they are immediately concluding that the riot had nothing to do with sports of sports fans, very convenient)
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2010/05/13/montreal-habs-post-game-riot.html

The Star takes the most sensationalist tack, surprise!....including the use of the words "violence" in the headlines, and "hooliganism" in the story
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/808672--windows-broken-stores-looted-as-montreal-celebration-turns-ugly?bn=1

The Globe does the best job. The Globe use the word "rowdies" and point out that tear gas was used, a pretty interesting detail.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec/rowdies-put-damper-on-montreals-win/article1567144/

If that had been a soccer crowd, what do you think? Would there be stories where the lead was about a "would be riot" featuring a little girl in pigtails, or about how a tiny group of "thugs" (that by implication don't love the sport) were responsible? If it was soccer, how many times would words like "rampage" and "hooligan" have appeared in those stories?

dupont
05-13-2010, 08:42 AM
If it was soccer, the news would be much harsher. You are correct.
They say no one wearing Montreal Canadiens jerseys were involved but there are youtube clips of people in jerseys looting stores.

However, there is truth to the fact that most of the people were just criminals that showed up knowing that it's easier to get away with looting when there is a big crowd.

MartinUtd
05-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Probably lots. The media is a disappointing institution, especially sports media.

reggie
05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
are you sure it was not the TFC fans at the game in montreal that started the riot after our great victory last night.
im sure we will get the blame for that also...

Parkdale
05-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Probably lots. The media is a disappointing institution, especially sports media.

it's not really a sport story anymore - it's now actual news.

from the star article:

Classmate Evan Martow, a Torontonian who was born in Montreal, said he’s never seen the kind of team spirit in Hogtown. “People here support the team regardless of how they’re doing.”

guess they've never heard of TFC

dupont
05-13-2010, 08:49 AM

Also I think Leafs fans are the most loyal. At least Montreal wins sometimes. The Leafs ALWAYS suck and look how many fans they have.

Parkdale
05-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Also I think Leafs fans are the most loyal. At least Montreal wins sometimes. The Leafs ALWAYS suck and look how many fans they have.

yeah, but it's a strange kind of fandom. They never expect to win, so there's no real risk. It's not like the Leafs are breaking any hearts - they just exist in this apathetic malaise.

Steve
05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
“People here support the team regardless of how they’re doing.”

What an incredibly weird thing to say after they win game 7 and the leafs were one of the worst teams in the league. I mean, if Montreal was celebrating in the streets after failing to make the playoffs, sure, but how can you possibly make a statement about how people support the team regardless of how they're doing when they just won a huge game? Sorry, it just boggles my mind.

Roogsy
05-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I am almost disgusted enough to write to them and point out their hypocrisy. You know...use the "Roogsy anger" for something other than railing on TFC. :D

Parkdale
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
What an incredibly weird thing to say after they win game 7 and the leafs were one of the worst teams in the league. I mean, if Montreal was celebrating in the streets after failing to make the playoffs, sure, but how can you possibly make a statement about how people support the team regardless of how they're doing when they just won a huge game? Sorry, it just boggles my mind.

I know! was does it always seem like the dumbest people get interviewed by the papers?

or maybe the comments are just so out of context that it can't fit anymore?

Heathen
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Classmate Evan Martow, a Torontonian who was born in Montreal, said he’s never seen the kind of team spirit in Hogtown. “People here support the team regardless of how they’re doing.”

That's the most blatant untruth I've seen in a while

billyfly
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
^I thought the same thing.

Whoop
05-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Driving through downtown Montreal on the way out of town, we passed bus load after bus load of riot police just crammed in buses.

They were prepared for a riot.

But it was just a lot of people having a good time. Well, at least on Sherbrooke and a small stretch of Ste Catherine that we went past.

Whoop
05-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Many of us did think Saputo would be a virtual ghost town due to the Habs but there was more people there than last year.

Parkdale
05-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Many of us did think Saputo would be a virtual ghost town due to the Habs but there was more people there than last year.

yeah, but look at it from the flipside - if TFC was playing at the same time as a leafs playoff game (yeah right that would happen) - where would we be? I'd be at BMO, even if it was just us.

Whoop
05-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Most of you know my thoughts on the Leafs... I would be at Bee Mo as well.

devioustrevor
05-13-2010, 09:27 AM

No there wasn't. Announced attendance last year was over 11,000. One of the free papers here in Montreal today are saying attendance last night was 10,727.

Whoop
05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm talking about actual people in the stands.

Last year with the rain, a lot of people stayed away.

drewski
05-13-2010, 09:32 AM
10k seems way to high. the stadium wasn't close to that full

neuf
05-13-2010, 09:36 AM
From http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/808672--hockey-joy-turns-to-violence-in-wake-of-canadiens-victory?bn=1

"Montreal has a long history of hockey-related hooliganism. Ste-Catherine St. was the site of playoff riots in 2008, when police cars were burned and businesses vandalized."

Redcoe15
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
If that had been a soccer crowd, what do you think? Would there be stories where the lead was about a "would be riot" featuring a little girl in pigtails, or about how a tiny group of "thugs" (that by implication don't love the sport) were responsible? If it was soccer, how many times would words like "rampage" and "hooligan" have appeared in those stories?
Most of the sports media in this country are big time hockey fans. When it comes to hockey, the fans can do no wrong. With soccer, the fans can do no right.

Major league double standards. :prrr:

SmokedPanda
05-13-2010, 09:47 AM
That's the most blatant untruth I've seen in a while

they sure love their Expos

Super Cereal
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Ah, the best part about this site, the bitching and whining about the hockey coverage!

The Habs rioters are getting trashed in the media, not sure what more you want. Guess what? Toronto FC fans have done some dumb things. You can whine all you want about how they weren't fans (dumb, because obviously they were, no mattr how stupid). Guess what? Habs fans have just as negative a stigma as any soccer fans. Post on any hockey forum and you'll see that.

It's pointless, some soccer fans will just bitch about anything. If your anger is over the use of the word 'hooligan' then take issue with Europe, or wherever the term being applied to soccer originated from. It's attached to soccer, and has rarely is ever been used as a hockey term.

Super Cereal
05-13-2010, 10:35 AM
When it comes to hockey, the fans can do no wrong.
Great post. This is especially evidenced with the poster directly above you quoting a major article criticizing Habs fans. Bravo.

Beach_Red
05-13-2010, 11:04 AM

But there is context to consider. Soccer supporters have been associated with violence for a long time.

On this site I read all the time that soccer "supporters" are different from North American sports "fans." The media has bought into that so it reports on them differently. Is it true? The Canadiens certainly don't have travelling fans.

Sure, Montreal had a riot in the fifties over hockey but really it was political, it was the english establishment represented by Clarence Campbell keeping the French hero out of the playoffs. There was a political undertone to the riot in the eighties as well.

And now it's just idiots who feel because it happened in the past it's "tradition" and a media that's more concerned with drama than anything else.

So, yes, the media would report on a "soccer riot" differently. Maybe the riot would be different.

Don Julio
05-13-2010, 11:08 AM
The cover of the Sun today makes me sick.

Chapman
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Looks like the playoffs if they went the longest would end just before the Canadian GP. Could you imagine if Montreal made it to the end how crazy it would be there with Stanley Cup Finals and the GP!

Ladies Love Julius James
05-13-2010, 11:27 AM
it's not really a sport story anymore - it's now actual news.

from the star article:

I HIGHLY doubt if TFC were playing an away game playoff match, BMO would sell out to watch the game on the jumbotron at $7.50 a seat.

Whoop
05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
It's nuts in Montreal during the GP throw in a potential Stanley Cup run, the city will be going gonzo.

Dirk Diggler
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I HIGHLY doubt if TFC were playing an away game playoff match, BMO would sell out to watch the game on the jumbotron at $7.50 a seat.

LOL true ... not to mention that I doubt so many people are gonna congregate after a TFC win and cause a riot.

Either way, I don't understand why we care about this. You know, there is some truth to the fact that a lot of the looters are indeed looters first, Habs fans second (if even at all). I don't think the media is making excuses for them if what they are telling is the truth. Maybe when TFC becomes a cultural institution like the Habs have we can chide on the media for being ignorant to the facts relating to our fanbase but in the meantime, I think its good that they are not equally as ignorant about everything.

Redcoe15
05-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Great post. This is especially evidenced with the poster directly above you quoting a major article criticizing Habs fans. Bravo.
:chillpill: :dita:

Buh-bye!

drewski
05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Either way, I don't understand why we care about this.

cause we won, so we need to find something to bitch about

Maybe when TFC becomes a cultural institution like the Habs

+1

there's actually a course on the Habs as a religion

tfcleeds
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
+1

there's actually a course on the Habs as a religion

If hating the Habs is wrong, i don't want to be right...

dupont
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM

Why? Did they start putting the sunshine girl on the front cover or something?

drewski
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
the Ottawa Citizen called them hooligans

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gallery+Hooligans+riot+after+Habs+victory/3022558/story.html

Happy now?

werewolf
05-13-2010, 01:10 PM
CBC News pointed out only a couple hundred Habs fans caused trouble, but thousands upon thousands of Montrealers were just happy to celebrate.

Wonder when TFC fans will get that benefit of the doubt, though maybe CBC doesn't want their building to be the next one in Montreal to be looted LOL

ilikemusic
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gallery+Hooligans+riot+after+Habs+victory/3022558/3022575.bin?size=620x400

I love how this guy got pepper sprayed and is considerable duress but still made sure to set his beer can down so it didnt spill. :lol:

And those looters are fucking retards. Theyre all going to get caught. Their faces are so clear in those pictures. Who are they kidding?! :lol:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gallery+Hooligans+riot+after+Habs+victory/3022558/3022321.bin?size=620x400

They may as well have just been holding their drivers liscence up for the camera. It would save the police, and themselves a considerable amount of time.

How anybody is stupid enough to engage in this behavior when everybody and their dog is walking around with a camera on them is simply retarded.

drewski
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
at least soccer fans are smart enough to cover their faces with scarves.

fucking amateurs :rolleyes:

TFC Cityboy
05-13-2010, 02:36 PM

LOL!!
True!

Super Cereal
05-13-2010, 05:25 PM
:chillpill: :dita:

Buh-bye!
Great argument, well put. I'll take that as an "I retract my previous statement, whichw as clearly not well thought out.

Chewy Unikronik
05-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Either way, I don't understand why we care about this.
Thank you. The hate on that many TFC fans have for the way soccer fans are portrayed in the media is somewhat silly. Who really cares?

Between that and the ridiculous hatred many have for sports that are not soccer, especially "pointy ball":facepalm:, is childish.

Hooligan69
05-13-2010, 05:54 PM
tvayqXMW2w4

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 06:06 PM
yeah, but look at it from the flipside - if TFC was playing at the same time as a leafs playoff game (yeah right that would happen) - where would we be? I'd be at BMO, even if it was just us.

well said parks.. I have chosen my colours and I choose to follow this team through no matter what.. its nice to see that even though we are a hockey town, Soccer is not to be underminded in this city.. I love the leafs but when tfc season starts my priorities change ..

gtaguy
05-13-2010, 06:09 PM

:iagree:

Toronto_Bhoy
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gallery+Hooligans+riot+after+Habs+victory/3022558/3022321.bin?size=620x400

I think that guy on the left sits behind me in 108!!!

Rhapido
05-13-2010, 07:20 PM

I think that guy on the left sits behind me in 108!!!

LOL! At least he knows enough to grab a bottle of Grey Goose!

Rhapido
05-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Irresponsible journalism.

Hooligan69
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Irresponsible journalism.

Yep. That's the Toronto Sun for you.