PDA

View Full Version : We win NCC if...

05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Okay, this is what I've got:

Toronto FC wins the NCC under any of the following three scenarios.

1) We win either of our remaining 2 matches, or

2) We draw both remaining matches, or

3) We draw one remaining match and Montreal takes points off Vancouver.

It is impossible for TFC to tie Vancouver on points in this tournament, therefor goal diff is of no further significance.

Make sense?

:)
Martyn

Pachuco
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Let's just beat those fuckers at home and win the cup at HOME for the first time!

Don Julio
05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
What if we win one?

Too early to make it simple. Can't wait for Edmonton.

twistedchinaman
05-13-2010, 12:57 AM
Let's just beat those fuckers at home and win the cup at HOME for the first time!

WIN AT SWANGARD. Period, full stop, end. Let's just make it short and sweet and simple.

LET'S GO YOU REDS!!!! :scarf:

GuelphStorm2007
05-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Just win at Swangard

ParadymeTFC
05-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Definitely want the win in Vancouver so we can give the starters a rest and let the reserves stretch their legs.

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to trot out a bunch of reserve players for a look, because we've actually got this thing in the bag EARLY for once?

- Scott

ManUtd4ever
05-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to trot out a bunch of reserve players for a look, because we've actually got this thing in the bag EARLY for once?

- Scott

It would be nice but TFC's record against Vancouver is less than stellar at 1W 1D 2L. I have more confidence in this squad than those of years past but realistically, TFC must come away with a draw at Swangard at the very least because Vancouver will most likely play Montreal's B squad thereafter and secure 3 points heading into the tournament finale at BMO Field. In that likely scenario TFC will only need a draw in front of the hometown faithful to hoist a trophy in Toronto for the first time in history...

05-13-2010, 07:46 AM
What if we win one?

Too early to make it simple. Can't wait for Edmonton.

Hey DJ,
If we win one we're in!! (That's my first scenario in the original post).

It's not too early. Any of those three qualify us. Miss all 3 and we're out. Goal diff is off the table!

I agree with the others, though. Three points at Swangard sounds perfect!

FootieChick
05-13-2010, 07:48 AM
We are going to win... quit saying IF!

05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
^^^^^ :hump:

Steve
05-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Hey DJ,

It's not too early. Any of those three qualify us. Miss all 3 and we're out. Goal diff is off the table!

I think we're going to be playing a defensive counter attack game in Vancouver. The problem is, we only have 2 strikers, and both need/will need rests. Barrett has played 3.5/4 of our last games, and that is more than he ever plays. DeRo has also been getting a lot of minutes, and after LA, might need a rest. Essentially, load the middle of the park with DMs (Saric, Sanyang, Cronin, possibly JDG), don't let them build anything, and grind the game down. If we tie, the pressure is on them to win outright in Montreal (and even a B squad might be able to take them, as Vancouver has not been good against Montreal recently). If we get a win, game over. Vancouver MUST play this game to win to have a realistic shot at the tourney, which means instead of opening the game up completely, we need to shut it down, frustrate them, and force them to commit too many men forward (then punish them for their gall). For TFC, the biggest problem with this game plan is our utter lack of strikers up front. OBW and Barrett are our only two real strikers, and neither works well as a lone striker.

Roogsy
05-13-2010, 08:38 AM

Oh baby.

Oh baby. :party:

deltox
05-13-2010, 08:40 AM
ok...lets say we win in swangard....do they do the trophy presentation there?

or wait until after the last game?

it kinda makes the last games a bit pointless doesnt it?

this tourney needs an overhaul

Don Julio
05-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey DJ,

Wow. It seems I may have been drinking last night. :facepalm:

Pachuco
05-13-2010, 09:20 AM
WIN AT SWANGARD. Period, full stop, end. Let's just make it short and sweet and simple.

LET'S GO YOU REDS!!!! :scarf:

OOPS. I thought we were playing at home first. Sportsnet showed Vancouver vs Toronto FC. Usually second team is at home. Oh wlel, hope we eat them at Swangard instead.

Let's hope nobody brings $500 of Champagne though.

Redcoe15
05-13-2010, 09:31 AM
I won't breath a sigh of relief until Toronto can get a win in Swangard against the Whitecaps. I have a feeling that Vancouver is going to be motivated to go after our side given what happened last year and that they want to make a splash when they join MLS next year.

GingerNinja
05-13-2010, 09:31 AM
OOPS. I thought we were playing at home first. Sportsnet showed Vancouver vs Toronto FC. Usually second team is at home. Oh wlel, hope we eat them at Swangard instead.

Let's hope nobody brings $500 of Champagne though.

In football, the home team is listed first.

jaxul
05-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Vancouver almost lost to Montreal at home didn't they? In theory we shouldn't have any problems. A quick 1-0 or 2-0 and we're off.

Roogsy
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM

True, but in North American sports, you never know what they mean.

In other parts of the world, they use "at" quite a bit to differentiate where the game is played. For example, Toronto @ Montreal, Arsenal @ Fulham etc. It's understandably confusing.

dannyd
05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Vancouver almost lost to Montreal at home didn't they? In theory we shouldn't have any problems. A quick 1-0 or 2-0 and we're off.

We always have trouble against Vancouver for some reason. I'll be happy if we come out of there with a draw.

Parkdale
05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
just play to win every game, and we'll be fine.

Pachuco
05-13-2010, 11:10 AM

Oh trust me I know. But it was Sportsnet. If I saw that on Setanta, I would've made the correct assumption.

Kaz
05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm really hoping for a point for Montreal against Vancouver, because then Vancouver would have to win both games against us to Win.

Ideally with the schedule we have, I'd like to see a tie or lose for Vancouver in Montreal, then a Tie with us in Vancouver, and a Win at home in BMO.

Shway
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM

- Scott

use some academy players , if thats an option