PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Game: TFC @ LA Galaxy (May 15th, 10:30 PM EST)

TFC USA
05-12-2010, 09:11 PM
We will probably get the ever living shit kicked out of us because A.) It's a road game and B.) It's the LA Fucking Galaxy.

So let's try to lose only 2-0 and not 5-0.

James17930
05-12-2010, 10:12 PM
We will probably get the ever living shit kicked out of us because A.) It's a road game and B.) It's the LA Fucking Galaxy.

Agreed.

Just like going into Col. or RSL, we really should not expect too much from this game (although at least it's not at altitude).

A draw would be a massive result. All we can hope for is that we play smart -- because while a loss would be bad, a loss + a bunch of cards would be even worse.

DichioTFC
05-12-2010, 10:20 PM

LOL c'mon now!! we're on a road game winning streak of one!!

seriously though, i'm hoping for a 1-1 draw. the only bright side of playing LA right now is the short flight to vancouver and theboys deserve some time in the the Cali sun

Dub Narcotic
05-12-2010, 11:09 PM
TFC is playing better, but this LAG team may be one of the best in MLS history. Don't like the odds on the roads on a few days rest. A point would be great.

twistedchinaman
05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
FUCK.
THE.
GALAXATIVES.

:scarf: COME ON YOU REDS! :scarf:

twistedchinaman
05-13-2010, 12:07 AM
We've kicked their asses WITH Landycakes and Goldenballs in the lineup...and without. We've beaten them with Cuntingham, but we've got better weapons than that ass.

Predo: 2-1 TFC.

FUCK THE GALAXATIVES!

GuelphStorm2007
05-13-2010, 12:42 AM
We've kicked their asses WITH Landycakes and Goldenballs in the lineup...and without. We've beaten them with Cuntingham, but we've got better weapons than that ass.

Predo: 2-1 TFC.

FUCK THE GALAXATIVES!
I totally love your optimism, But history on the road is nothing to brag about and this Galaxy team is quite good, Look for a defensive game with the hope catching them on the counter. Lets hope for the best :scarf:

twistedchinaman
05-13-2010, 12:43 AM
I totally love your optimism, But history on the road is nothing to brag about and this Galaxy team is quite good, Look for a defensive game with the hope catching them on the counter. Lets hope for the best :scarf:

Conceding they're superhuman is the first mistake this team can make -- because they're not.

GuelphStorm2007
05-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Conceding they're superhuman is the first mistake this team can make -- because they're not.

I agree with you Dude, But we all know how they play on the road I am hoping they do the usual crap we see ehen they are on the road. A victory is possible, but realistically a draw would be a huge confidence boost for them.

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2010, 04:11 AM
My guess is Preki plays for the draw, and hopes Barrett + <insert name here> can score a goal or two to hopefully get more.

I won't be pissed if we lose this game though - the LA Galaxy are a fucking force so far this season.

- Scott

Section 117
05-13-2010, 07:19 AM
I say 2-2 draw Barret with the first and Dero with dramatic late game tying goal

Flint
05-13-2010, 07:26 AM
I say we go all out and go for the win. We have too many holes still in our defensive game to try and sit back and defend cause if theres one team that will exploit those holes its the LA Galaxy.

3 - 2 TFC :scarf:

Steve
05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
I say 2-2 draw Barret with the first and Dero with dramatic late game tying goal

In their first 8 games, they've given up a total of 2 goals. I think it's a little much to hope to score two more on them in our game. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I'm hoping for a low scoring draw (0-0 or 1-1 at most). That said, playing against Donovan and Buddle, I can't really see even that happening. Oh well,

ManUtd4ever
05-13-2010, 07:48 AM
I have mixed feelings about this one. I obviously want Preki to go for the victory in L.A. but the upcoming match in Vancouver is definitely more important. I was hoping TFC would have had last night's match well in hand by half time allowing much needed rest for the likes of DeRo and JDG. The scoreline late in the match forced Preki's hand and he made the right call but now he faces a dilemna moving forward. DeRo and JDG cannot be expected to play the duration of both upcoming matches. IMO, Preki alternates DeRo and JDG against L.A. surrounded by the rest of the A squad for most of the match hopefully resulting in a draw...

sec117
05-13-2010, 07:51 AM
All this negative talk. Fuck LA , Tfc wins 2 to 1. Nice ball skill shown last night only way is up from here. Barrets show he's found confidence and hope white is ok.

Here we go here we go here we GoooooooooooOOOooooooooooooo

JonO
05-13-2010, 07:58 AM
I get that LA is a strong team but no team is "unbeatable". Especially in the MLS. If we play the same game we played against chicago, we've certainly got a good chance to come away with at least 1 point. Let's see who shows up

Steve
05-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I have mixed feelings about this one. I obviously want Preki to go for the victory in L.A. but the upcoming match in Vancouver is definitely more important. I was hoping TFC would have had last night's match well in hand by half time allowing much needed rest for the likes of DeRo and JDG. The scoreline late in the match forced Preki's hand and he made the right call but now he faces a dilemna moving forward. DeRo and JDG cannot be expected to play the duration of both upcoming matches. IMO, Preki alternates DeRo and JDG against L.A. surrounded by the rest of the A squad for most of the match hopefully resulting in a draw...

For me, best case scenario against LA is to play JDG, Sanyang, Saric, Labrocca, and Cronin in the middle, with I don't know who in the front (White to start probably). Rest DeRo and Barrett for the first half. Try to frustrate LA by not letting them move the ball around how they want to (same as we tried to unsuccessfully against RSL, but with JDG). If the scoreline is even after the first half, bring on some attacking presence to try to get something from their tired backline. Only shot we have I think, and it could go terribly terribly wrong (like, 4-0 at the half wrong).

Section 117
05-13-2010, 08:03 AM
In their first 8 games, they've given up a total of 2 goals. I think it's a little much to hope to score two more on them in our game. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I'm hoping for a low scoring draw (0-0 or 1-1 at most). That said, playing against Donovan and Buddle, I can't really see even that happening. Oh well,

I understand what you are saying about the Galaxy not giving up a lot of goals. My theory is we hit one on a counter and then Dero with a set piece wonder strike (goal of the week quality) kind of like Barret's goal against Colorado last year.

Dave67
05-13-2010, 08:54 AM
I believe every time we get the ball we should run straight to the corner flag and kill time. Right from the opening whistle. Our corner flag, their corner flag, won't matter. Hope for a superhuman game from Frei and go for 0 -0

ensco
05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
^I agree. Break out the tape of the 2nd leg of the Inter Barca game. 11 men in the box. Boot the ball away so that you don't lose position. Let the other guy have 80% of the possession.

We have to be able to get a point that way sometimes.

jaxul
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
^I agree. Break out the tape of the 2nd leg of the Inter Barca game. 11 men in the box. Boot the ball away so that you don't lose position. Let the other guy have 80% of the possession.

Let us not compare our defense with Inter's defense :p

If our back 4 (maybe use 5 D?) doesn't have a huge game I don't think we can expect more than a two goal defeat.

Today is a long travel day, then only one day to practice tomorrow and only 1.5 days to get used to the time zone change. We've shown defensive holes even in the good games we had against Seattle and Chicago and LA has a lot better finishing than those teams imo.

But stranger things have happened. We can only hope! :scarf:

DangerRed
05-13-2010, 09:32 AM

We may be gelling defensively, but you have to be of Inter's quality to be able to invite pressure and handle it without a single mistake, even if you're playing an MLS team.

The game in LA will have to be a balance - I think someone said this up top: defensive stance with counterattacking offence only. Barrett and whoever else is up top should play an almost DM role as back up to our mids.

Expect a pretty boring game if they lock down like that, but we should be able to scratch out a point.

This reminds me of the 0-0 draw against Seattle last season. Everyone expected us to get blown out, but we somehow managed to survive.

Last thing is that LA could get overconfident, which plays in our favour. They're hot as hell and at home against a team that's dismal on the road. Maybe they'll overreach.

maninb
05-13-2010, 09:47 AM
If Uselessanov or Garcia start at the back....we're f*cked!!!! That being said I think we can sneak a goal and come out with a 1-1 draw....IMO must score the first goakl though, and make LA come out at us....their coach has them palying amazingly diciplined at the back....

jloome
05-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Despite having Donovan and Buddle's current tear, LA is winning because of their teamwork, not their lineup.

They're beatable and they have to lose eventually. Might be against us.

Darlofletch
05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
I'd love to see us actually go for the win, play two up front with de ro behind them, white and de ro in juries permitting. all of our best periods of play, home or away have come playing that formation.

If we go in expecting to be hammered and play defensive and just hope to stay defensively solid and for something to happen up front, it'd practically be guaranteeing a loss. we're not good enough to avoid the mental lapses that Preki mentions for a full 90 minutes, so instead we should try and cause them problems, take the pressure off our d.

Given that we won yesterday, the vancouver game isn't as important as it might have been, so i say go balls out against L.A, fuck this hoping to keep the loss respectable attitude.

ManUtd4ever
05-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I believe every time we get the ball we should run straight to the corner flag and kill time. Right from the opening whistle. Our corner flag, their corner flag, won't matter. Hope for a superhuman game from Frei and go for 0 -0

LOL, I like it...

TFCREDNWHITE
05-13-2010, 11:52 AM
This game against the Galaxy is gonna be a cluster*uck! This game is gonna prove how screwed up this league is and how anyone can beat anyone at any given time. Its going to leave a lot of analysts left scratching their head....

TFC 3 Galaxy 1

How the hell did we win on the road??

How did we beat such an amazing team??

ilikemusic
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Will the TFC game be on the big screen out front of the ACC?

Ill be at the Them Crooked Vultures show that night. It would be cool to watch some of the game on that big screen.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
A point on the road here....would be huge right now for the boys...!

C'mon reds!

Kaz
05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I think it's all dependent on the line up. I think if you start with DeRo, Barrett, and OBW all on the field togeather, you have a good chance..

But Preki will play it safe as always and keep at least one of them on the bench with DeRo as a Forward.

2-0 half time. Final 3-1.

scooterTFC
05-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm willing to bet that we see 5 man midfield at the start of the game with JDG, Saric and Sanyang all on the field.

Sanyang and Saric's ankle breaking tackling will force Donovan and Buddle to choose between
a) Phyical comittment to this game
b) Risk avoidance to preserve their health for the world cup

This is their last league game before the US pre-world cup training camp... they will drift out of the game if its really physical from the start.

jloome
05-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm not hopeful. Lots of travel, not much rest, Donovan and Buddle won't hold back because of the world cup -- quite the opposite. THey want to leave on a high.

We're gonna need some really hard work. I'd try something a bit different, so that we can try and exploit their fullbacks but still be solid wide and in the back ourselves. It puts a lot of men behind the ball but it's probably realistic:
-----------------------Frei------------------------
---------Attakora--Cann--Hscanovic-------------
Cronin----------------------------------Gala-------
--------------Sanyang--DeGuzman----------------
-----DeRosario-----------------------White-------
-------------------Barrett-------------------------

Carts
05-13-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm not hopeful. Lots of travel, not much rest, Donovan and Buddle won't hold back because of the world cup -- quite the opposite. THey want to leave on a high.

We're gonna need some really hard work. I'd try something a bit different, so that we can try and exploit their fullbacks but still be solid wide and in the back ourselves. It puts a lot of men behind the ball but it's probably realistic:

That's an aggressive road formation - but you make some very good points about how it would set up against the LA squad...

I'd swap Barrett & White in this formation... Chad has show he's going on the ball out wide & his work ethic will ensure he's back to support when LA attacks...

I'm fearfull that Preki will play a '9-1' with 9-defenders and 1-striker :) ok, I'm joking at that - but I think he'll play a very conservation, go for a 0-0 draw formation and style of play considering fixtures, travel, and bumps...

However, I think we need 4 at the back... With Donovan & Buddle I think Nana & Cann need to be 'centre-stage' all night to deal with these two... My fear is an early yellow to either, which will stop them from being aggressive and closing those two down every second of the 90...

Gonna be a tough one...

Carts...

T.O TILL I DIE
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
2-1 TFC:D
OBW gets a cross by barret and kicks it in!
donavon scores an ugly goal while usanov trys fly kicking him
then dero scores a late goal T-OR-ONT-00000 TFC

DOMIN8R
05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
We come away with 1 point. History is on our side at Home Depot and we are starting to show tactical proficiency.

USMNT call ups will weigh on Donovan and Buddle. This might play in our favour.

Red Rat
05-13-2010, 08:51 PM
^ I was just about to mention that, they are missing their best two.
Give me a point and I will be burning a streetcar on Saturday

rr

scooterTFC
05-13-2010, 08:53 PM

I like the formation. Not sure if Gala is ready to compete against size and speed of athletes fielded by top of the table MLS teams. If we had more roster depth, he would benefit from a loan to a USL side that could give him regular starts and minutes for 3 months.

We can probably agree to disagree on the mental approach of Landycakes and Buddle to this game. Both arguements have some validity. The game will decide the debate. I think Preki will send out Saric to test thier committment, ala his play vs Ljunberg.

scooterTFC
05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Random thought - Anybody know why Dero isn't taking attacking zone free kicks? He has to be our best bet to get the ball over/around wall and on target.

I get the idea that Preki might want him around the net because he's a dangerous poacher in scramble situations.

jloome
05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
That's an aggressive road formation - but you make some very good points about how it would set up against the LA squad...

I'd swap Barrett & White in this formation... Chad has show he's going on the ball out wide & his work ethic will ensure he's back to support when LA attacks...

I'm fearfull that Preki will play a '9-1' with 9-defenders and 1-striker :) ok, I'm joking at that - but I think he'll play a very conservation, go for a 0-0 draw formation and style of play considering fixtures, travel, and bumps...

However, I think we need 4 at the back... With Donovan & Buddle I think Nana & Cann need to be 'centre-stage' all night to deal with these two... My fear is an early yellow to either, which will stop them from being aggressive and closing those two down every second of the 90...

Gonna be a tough one...

Carts...

White needs space to run, because his initial first step isn't quick, but his overall pace and strength are. So even though his first touch probably isn't as good as Barrett's, he'd benefit more from playing wide in a three-man front, I think.

Plus, Barrett has suddenly decided to actually shoot on target with regularity.

DOMIN8R
05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
White needs space to run, because his initial first step isn't quick, but his overall pace and strength are.

This

felipe
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
6-0 TFC, we're on fire lately...(Particularly if you disregard that awful game on wednesday night - that might have been the worst game I have ever watched)

twistedchinaman
05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
If we can play even half an iota like we did against Chicago -- we've got a draw.

Key is to not let Landycakes and Buddle run amok; and find holes in that backline and exploit it -- this is why Cann and Attakora will HAVE to play a helluva game. And Saric MUST play.

jloome
05-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Random thought - Anybody know why Dero isn't taking attacking zone free kicks? He has to be our best bet to get the ball over/around wall and on target.

I get the idea that Preki might want him around the net because he's a dangerous poacher in scramble situations.

Makes sense. Might also be a facet of what they get to work on between matches. I'm surprised he doesn't take them, to be honest -- but the only logical explanation is he's the best guy at being in the right place at the right time, like you say.

Pachuco
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM

When they are close enough to the net then he does. (He hit the wall on a Montreal free kick). But even then, I don't think that's one of his strengths personally. We seriously miss Guevara when it comes to that.

Troll
05-14-2010, 10:18 AM

That's a loser's mentality. Fuck that. I'm ok with a loss, but only if I know my side went in it looking to get 3 points with 100% effort. Anything less then that is unacceptable IMO.

Pachuco
05-14-2010, 10:22 AM
That's a loser's mentality. Fuck that. I'm ok with a loss, but only if I know my side went in it looking to get 3 points with 100% effort. Anything less then that is unacceptable IMO.

Agreed. Unfortunately that's been Preki's mentality on the road so far. Let's hope he's learned his lesson. This game is very telling for me. If we go back in there playing the way we've played against RSL and NE then this team really hasn't improved from any other season. Same old, play like shit on the road, play good at home.

I don't care of we lose tommorrow, as long as we go out there and show some interest in the game.

P-NUTZ
05-14-2010, 10:27 AM
THE GOOD: better form lately, confidence, success there before, an overconfident opponent?

THE BAD: road woes, reliable but slow back four, LA goal differential?

THE UGLY: Preki tries another "defensive formation" on the road, tired legs, bad tfc fouls turning into penalty kicks, Garcia starting?

PREDICTION: 2-1 LA ...a hard fought loss.... ;(

koryo
05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Playing for a draw will result in a massacre.

We might as well play for the win and see what happens.

scooterTFC
05-14-2010, 11:01 AM

What style of play gives us the best chance of earning a win, on the road, with limited rest between games, against an undefeated opponent, with the league's best offensive player over the past 5 years(Donovan) and the league's hottest scorer at the moment(Buddle).

Does playing for a win mean that we line-up in an attacking formation, try to play a wide open game, and hope we out chance these guys? That doesn't seem like the best way to earn a win in the situaiton.

Its a semantic argument but in my opinion, attacking football and 'playing to win aren't' the same thing.

jloome
05-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Yah, agreed. We need men back , but we also need men pushing forward attacking,a balanced approach that can allow us to control the ball for longer periods and slow the game down without playing in our own end all night. Lots of short, quick passes coupled with field switching, good shape. It's possible to negate LA's speed and width to some extent.

Dave67
05-14-2010, 11:16 AM

I disagree. We should continue to work on the full defensive shell that Preki seems to be trying to achieve on the road. Pick our chances on counter attack and hope to grab a lucky goal.

I don't think it's a loser mentality. I think it's the only logical shot at a draw or a sneaky win. We try and full on attack LA they are going to pick us to pieces.

BuSaPuNk
05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I disagree. We should continue to work on the full defensive shell that Preki seems to be trying to achieve on the road. Pick our chances on counter attack and hope to grab a lucky goal.

I don't think it's a loser mentality. I think it's the only logical shot at a draw or a sneaky win. We try and full on attack LA they are going to pick us to pieces.

Compleletly agree.

We need to concentrate on defense first. I think they way the D has played latley we might have a chance of limiting there chances.

Clog the midfield and play defensively.

Either LA 2-1 or a 1-1 draw.

koryo
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
What style of play gives us the best chance of earning a win, on the road, with limited rest between games, against an undefeated opponent, with the league's best offensive player over the past 5 years(Donovan) and the league's hottest scorer at the moment(Buddle).

Does playing for a win mean that we line-up in an attacking formation, try to play a wide open game, and hope we out chance these guys? That doesn't seem like the best way to earn a win in the situaiton.

Its a semantic argument but in my opinion, attacking football and 'playing to win aren't' the same thing.

I was thinking along the lines of crowding the midfield, breaking down their attacks and nicking one on the counter. Anything but sitting back and letting them press or opening ourselves up so they can play their game.

Lucky Strike
05-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Let us not compare our defense with Inter's defense :p

If our back 4 (maybe use 5 D?) doesn't have a huge game I don't think we can expect more than a two goal defeat.

Today is a long travel day, then only one day to practice tomorrow and only 1.5 days to get used to the time zone change. We've shown defensive holes even in the good games we had against Seattle and Chicago and LA has a lot better finishing than those teams imo.

But stranger things have happened. We can only hope! :scarf:

Interesting idea - but with more men at the back, setting up the offside trap becomes a little more difficult, especially with the speed the Galaxy has up front, I'm not sure that's a good idea. It'll be better to have 4 at the back and drill it into their heads that they should smart about whichever tactic is to be used.

Lucky Strike
05-14-2010, 11:45 AM
I was thinking along the lines of crowding the midfield, breaking down their attacks and nicking one on the counter. Anything but sitting back and letting them press or opening ourselves up so they can play their game.

Agreed. It might be worth considering having someone up front with a lot of stamina to press the LA backline starting just inside their own half. It could help in making LA "feel rushed" so that they won't be as clinical trying to set up shop in the TFC half.

On another note, whatever we do on the attack, you have to think that high balls into the box are not an option due to the aerial presence of the two LA central defenders. For some reason, this wasn't apparent to Cummins last year.

TFC USA
05-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I'll take a 5-1 loss but take out Landycakes.

Oh wait he has to save us during the World Cup.

Fuck.

pekduck
05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
If we can play even half an iota like we did against Chicago -- we've got a draw.

Key is to not let Landycakes and Buddle run amok; and find holes in that backline and exploit it -- this is why Cann and Attakora will HAVE to play a helluva game. And Saric MUST play.

One of the Hascanovic, Ursanov or Saric need to start with a strong tackle to the LA ballerina to set the tune of the match, that if they want 3 points, they have to die for it

On the other hand... please, for the love of God and respect to US constitution...do not start Garcia... 10 out of 11 players on the LA squad can turn Garcia into a 2 feet tall pylon...

CoachGT
05-14-2010, 11:58 AM
How many bodies do we have on three or four yellows? There used to be a list on the MLS website but with the changes I can't seem to find it.

pekduck
05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
JDG suspended with next yellow. (sitting at 4, up to 5 = 1 game)

If JDG does not get a yellow in LA game, then his yellow count will be reduced by 1 (sitting at 4, down to 3)

Auzzy
05-14-2010, 12:08 PM

If JDG does not get a yellow in LA game, then his yellow count will be reduced by 1 (sitting at 4, down to 3)

I think JDG is going to miss the next game vs New England anyway (CMNT in Argentina), so perhaps this wouldn't be such a big deal... ;) (You're not counting NCC cards, right?) It's unfortunate though, because I think some of the yellows to JDG were garbage (either from Julian, or from the ref).

Saric must be close as well on the yellow card count, no? Has anybody been able to find some useful info about this on MajorLeagueSoccerSoccer.com?

P-NUTZ
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
4-3/2-1?

if we dont compete and attack agressively in the middle they will cut us to pieces with through balls - timing and speed, and force us to foul often.

One key in any defensive skewed approach is to attack the oppositions ball carrier immediately, and marry that with the ability to quickly move the whole group forward and backward as one mass formation in synch with the ball so you dont spend the whole time in your own end hosting a shooting gallery for the other team.

Then it depends on who's more fit later in the match after all the running it takes to do this. A hungry team can outwork an opponant this way.

pekduck
05-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I think JDG is going to miss the next game vs New England anyway (CMNT in Argentina), so perhaps this wouldn't be such a big deal... ;) (You're not counting NCC cards, right?) It's unfortunate though, because I think some of the yellows to JDG were garbage (either from Julian, or from the ref).

Saric must be close as well on the yellow card count, no? Has anybody been able to find some useful info about this on MajorLeagueSoccerSoccer.com?

CMNT called up DeRo as well.. crap....

crap.. no DeRo, no JDG....there goes the midfield..

pekduck
05-14-2010, 12:27 PM
right.. i should not count the NCC yellows.. oops.

Yellow cards from MLS matches

Julian de Guzman 3 Maksim Usanov 3 Adrian Cann 2 Nana Attakora 2 Raivis Hscanovics 2 Nick LaBrocca 1

Saric is not even mentioned on MLS website. :lol:

kitchener-TFC
05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
What's up with the "play for a draw" mentality? We should always go for the win, even against the divine LA Galaxy. Anyone remember last season, when the "top team" Chivas came to town, and we defeated them 1-0?
As soon as we get past the psychological factor of them being the greatest, we can achieve some results.

Dave67
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
^ has more to do with us being on the West coast. I'd be right on board with the go for the throat mentallity if this was at BMO. Out West we struggle regardless of where we are.

Yagbod
05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
LA are ripe for the picking. They have to lose sometime and I bet their overconfidence is at an all time high.

I got a feeling about this one. TFC for the upset.

Stay positive!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Is Dero and JDG out?

Auzzy
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
DeRo & JDG are NOT out vs LA, although I could see Preki giving them a bit of a break before Vancouver, just guessing though. Plus DeRo got knocked around pretty badly in Montreal. (I think they will be missing the New England game on May 22nd though, with CMNT playing in Argentina on May 24th.)

right.. i should not count the NCC yellows.. oops.

Yellow cards from MLS matches

Julian de Guzman 3 Maksim Usanov 3 Adrian Cann 2 Nana Attakora 2 Raivis Hscanovics 2 Nick LaBrocca 1

Saric is not even mentioned on MLS website. :lol:

Oh man, that website, what a piece of crap.

ASSUMING the game reports that I found are correct, Saric has 3 yellows:

- YES vs Columbus: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/03/columbus-downs-toronto (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/03/columbus-downs-toronto)

- NOT vs New England: http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/schilawskis-hat-trick-fuels-revs-against-tfc (http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/schilawskis-hat-trick-fuels-revs-against-tfc)

- NOT vs Philly: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/de-rosario-notches-brace-win (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/de-rosario-notches-brace-win)

- YES vs Colorado: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/match-recap-pks-set-piece-haunt-reds (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/match-recap-pks-set-piece-haunt-reds)

- YES vs Seattle: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/de-rosarios-attack-stuns-seattle (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/de-rosarios-attack-stuns-seattle)

- NOT vs RSL May 1st: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter-recap/toronto-score-late-rsl-have-enough-earn-win (http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter-recap/toronto-score-late-rsl-have-enough-earn-win)

- NOT vs Chicago May 8th: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter-recap/barrett-buries-former-club-4-1-tfc-win (http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter-recap/barrett-buries-former-club-4-1-tfc-win)

If someone has some spare time, they can compile the rest of the stats from those reports, because the league website can't seem to do that for us...

Dave67
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Isn't the card count on the right of this sheet http://mlsnet.com/stats/club/tor/overall

Auzzy
05-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Isn't the card count on the right of this sheet http://mlsnet.com/stats/club/tor/overall

Yeah, but Saric doesn't play on TFC according to that list. ;) Also doesn't tell you how many games until they can drop a card again, etc. Not sure if the league overall misconduct summary still exists somewhere???

Also, according to that list:

- Jimmy is still our trusty #11

- I think a few of the jersey numbers are wrong

- Not sure if anyone else is missing from the list.

GeorgeBest
05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
ESPN Soccernet is a good source for MLS stats. They include Saric (who has 3 yellows). Also good game summaries.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/squad?id=7318&cc=5901

Auzzy
05-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the tip!

pekduck
05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
DeRo & JDG are NOT out vs LA, although I could see Preki giving them a bit of a break before Vancouver, just guessing though. Plus DeRo got knocked around pretty badly in Montreal. (I think they will be missing the New England game on May 22nd though, with CMNT playing in Argentina on May 24th.)

Oh man, that website, what a piece of crap.

hey.. our own site still listing we tied Impact 0-0.. .:facepalm:

check the schedule section

CoachGT
05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
According to the globe & mail stats page Buddle is on 4 yellows!

Gazza
05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
1-0 loss on a typical Donovan PK.

I also predict i'll be yelling at Landycakes through my tv. I hope he hears me.

Auzzy
05-14-2010, 02:14 PM
hey.. our own site still listing we tied Impact 0-0.. .:facepalm:

check the schedule section

TFC has had real problems getting the NCC games into the screwed up league template, and have been pulling their hair out about that. This is another example.

And the ESPN website is missing two of our goalies, not sure what else...

pekduck
05-14-2010, 02:22 PM
^
it's okay, NYRB listed their ticket sales phone number with a missing digit on their website... (back in jan)

"why are we not getting any calls to buy our tickets?"
"may be we need to up the marketing efforts"
"how much budget do we have?"

proof read your website would be cheaper :D

Oldtimer
05-14-2010, 02:26 PM
^
it's okay, NYRB listed their ticket sales phone number with a missing digit on their website... (back in jan)

"why are we not getting any calls to buy our tickets?"
"may be we need to up the marketing efforts"
"how much budget do we have?"

proof read your website would be cheaper :D

"We really need Henry!"

:D

levyashin
05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
:drinking:Just confirmed with my bookie 6-1 is the going rate,L.A over TFC.Told him to put $50 on for me,he was laughing as i hung up.My reasoning,L.A have not lost at home,TFC have not won away,that is reason enough BUT this is the last game for Buddy and Finnigan before going off to the world cup get Usinov to kick each one early and they go hide.We play with ten men they play with nine,we steal the game in the 93 min/.1-0 to TFC and i pocket $300!!:D

Auzzy
05-15-2010, 12:45 AM
O'Brian White is doubtful for the game vs LA. He sprained his ankle in the Montreal game: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/white-doubtful-against-los-angeles

Crap. So much for the developing partnership between Barrett, OBW & DeRo...

AL-MO
05-15-2010, 12:49 AM
I am hoping for a draw, but I am pretty much expecting a loss.

Keystone FC
05-15-2010, 02:00 AM
^ has more to do with us being on the West coast. I'd be right on board with the go for the throat mentallity if this was at BMO. Out West we struggle regardless of where we are.
Go for the throat mentality should be our scheme from the get go...especially in LA. advance the ball into the box and crash eveyone into the net.
We now know we can score and we now know we can defend. Playing a bunch of hacks like the Impact tuffens you up for creampuffs like the Gals. IF we go at them like we did against the Impact they'll fold and flop like no other club has. We have to be tuff with them...that's it.

Yohan
05-15-2010, 06:32 AM
3-2 TFC.

relive the 07 game :D

Shakes McQueen
05-15-2010, 06:50 AM
People need to understand that "going for the win", doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as "play attacking football".

I predict Preki plays a safe formation, and tries to catch LA on the counterattack. With OBW out, my guess is Preki counts on Barrett up front, and DeRo in a forward role to create offense, with virtually everyone else playing it safe defensively.

That doesn't necessarily mean eight guys behind the ball, but it means the rest of the midfield not getting caught too far forward.

Preki will play the formation that gives him the best chance at getting at least a draw, and will hope that Barrett or DeRo can combine for a goal or two to perhaps get 3 points.

He's not a fool though - we are operating on short rest again, after travelling to the other side of the continent, and playing a team that is 7-1-0 with two goals against this season. I won't be upset if we lose this game. I'm hoping for a win, but I'm fully prepared for a loss.

- Scott

flatpicker
05-15-2010, 06:51 AM
I'll admit, this game has me nervous.
LA has really put it together this year.
We'll need a little good fortune for this match-up.

Oldtimer
05-15-2010, 06:53 AM
:drinking:Just confirmed with my bookie 6-1 is the going rate

6-1 seems a fair approximation of our chances of winning.

GlenM
05-15-2010, 12:01 PM
It's simple...check my signature:

"You play to win the game"

Don't play safe, play agressive then conservative to a point...

Believe you can score on the road first, don't over commit...play D.

Play to get the lead but don't stop...if you get a draw go home happy, if we win then WOOT!

TFC 2 - LA 1

GlenM

GlenM
05-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Crap maybe no OBW tonight, that makes a draw look even better...

GlenM

Stryker
05-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm of the opinion that a tree formation would give us the best chance today.
Stack the back seven with defensive players and hope the two attacking mids can slip a ball through to Barrett.

Usanov---Attakora---Cann---Gargan
Cronin-----De Guzman-----Sanyang
-----Peterson--------DeRo---------
------------- Barrett--------------

Gazza
05-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Don't forget about discipline issues and poor officiating.

I've yet to see Landon Donovan play a game where he hasn't been awarded a penalty shot.

We'll get a minimum of 2 red cards tonight and the score line will be ugly. Preki will brush it off and have the boys prepared for the next game.

GlenM
05-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Stack the back seven with defensive players and hope the two attacking mids can slip a ball through to Barrett.

With OBW out, I could live with this...

Looks pretty good.

:scarf:

GlenM

GBV
05-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Betting line:

LA -227
Toronto +767
Draw +365

Goal line
LA -1 -137
Toronto +1 +126

O/U
2.5 Over -124

Ladies Love Julius James
05-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Fucking pissy eh -227 fuck I can't lay that.

Ryan1984
05-15-2010, 02:30 PM
I think this will be a high scoring game you got the top scoring team in the west vs the top scoring team in the east :scarf:

GBV
05-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Fucking pissy eh -227 fuck I can't lay that.

And climbing!!!!

When you consider Toronto's road form, the fact they played Wednesday ... and just how good L.A. has been ... I was expecting -250 on the home win minimum.

Shakes McQueen
05-15-2010, 02:45 PM

I suspect this is roughly the kind of formation Preki will favour today. He won't go all out defense, as he saw the results of that in Salt Lake, but he will still favour a defensive formation.

- Scott

J .
05-15-2010, 03:34 PM
My heart says TFC 2-2, my head says LA 3-0.

Frei and our backline would have to be flawless, DeRo best game ever and all our players passing to be top notch.

I always try to predict the rosy side of things for TFC, but I just cant see us shaking our road form against the top league team atm.

TFC Cityboy
05-15-2010, 04:20 PM
LA is a decent side this season, but I can't see them maintaining the 7-0-1 pace cos that simply doesn't happen in MLS.

If (big if) we keep it tight at the back and sneak the 1st goal, I can see us getting a result tonight.

Nurse- I'll take the injection now, please!
:)

Rhapido
05-15-2010, 05:13 PM
3-2 TFC. Cunningham with the winner.

drek
05-15-2010, 05:31 PM
2-1 TFC. Do it boys.

Kaz
05-15-2010, 05:31 PM
What I'd like:

-------------------------Frei----------------------
U..latvia------attakora------Cann--------gargan
----Labrocca--------Deguzman-----Sanyang----
-------------Peterson---------DeRo--------------
------------------------Barrett--------------------

What we'll actually see:

Usanov-------attakora------Cann--------Garcia
Cronin------Deguzman-----Sanyang------Saric
-------------Barrett-----------DeRo--------------

DichioTFC
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
What we'll actually see:

Usanov-------attakora------Cann--------Garcia
Cronin------Deguzman-----Sanyang------Saric
-------------Barrett-----------DeRo--------------

As much as I'd like to see it, no way Preki's starting Cronin over LaBrocca.

DichioTFC
05-15-2010, 05:58 PM
People need to understand that "going for the win", doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as "play attacking football".

I predict Preki plays a safe formation, and tries to catch LA on the counterattack. With OBW out, my guess is Preki counts on Barrett up front, and DeRo in a forward role to create offense, with virtually everyone else playing it safe defensively.

That doesn't necessarily mean eight guys behind the ball, but it means the rest of the midfield not getting caught too far forward.

Preki will play the formation that gives him the best chance at getting at least a draw, and will hope that Barrett or DeRo can combine for a goal or two to perhaps get 3 points.

He's not a fool though - we are operating on short rest again, after travelling to the other side of the continent, and playing a team that is 7-1-0 with two goals against this season. I won't be upset if we lose this game. I'm hoping for a win, but I'm fully prepared for a loss.

- Scott

Agree. You can play for the win by playing smart, defensive-based, counter-attacking football. Mourinho did it vs. Barca and I can foresee Preki using similar tactics.

The optimist in me is hoping 2-1 TFC but thinking 1-1 draw. Still, how the team preforms against the league's best, on the road is more important to me tonight than a win. A result will be delightful but I'm not going "fairweather fan" bash Preki if it doesn't happen.

Btw, as an aside (and yes, I know its early), we're almost a quarter way into the season TFC are two points behind Columbus for second in the East (guaranteed playoff spot) and are one point away from 8th place overall...:hump:

Brooker
05-15-2010, 06:32 PM
We're long overdue for a draw. I bet this is it.

Oldtimer
05-15-2010, 06:46 PM
The realist in me says 3-0 or 3-1 LA.

The optimist says that maybe we'll get a 1-1 draw.

DichioTFC
05-15-2010, 06:49 PM
We're long overdue for a draw. I bet this is it.

We're longer overdue for a road win

Kaz
05-15-2010, 07:08 PM
As much as I'd like to see it, no way Preki's starting Cronin over LaBrocca.

My thinking is that Labrocca has more offensive strength, and he'll Labrocca on for Cronin at Half if we are down with peterson at 65 for Sanyang.

MUFC_Niagara
05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
4-0 Galaxy.

ArmenJBX
05-15-2010, 07:17 PM
fuck it.

1-0 TFC

GlenM
05-15-2010, 07:19 PM
^

YEAH! WOOT!

Love it!

FREI rocks.

GlenM

trane
05-15-2010, 07:30 PM
What I'd like:

U..latvia------attakora------Cann--------gargan
----Labrocca--------Deguzman-----Sanyang----
-------------Peterson---------DeRo--------------
------------------------Barrett--------------------

I like this. My only question is Peterson, not that he is not good, I just have not seen enough of him and from what I have heard he is more of a pure winger then a AM type. Maybe move Labroca in his spot and play Cronin in Labroca's spot. I would like to see that. Not that Labroca is a real AM, but he is in teligent enought to contribute.

trane
05-15-2010, 07:31 PM
If we play like we did last home game we win, something between 1-0 and 2-1.
If we play like we did our last MLS road game we get NO POINTS.

Brooker
05-15-2010, 07:35 PM
We're longer overdue for a road win

lmao. touche!

i'm just aiming low so it doesn't ruin my night, while at the same time if they do win it makes my night.

:flare:

Kaz
05-15-2010, 07:54 PM
I like this. My only question is Peterson, not that he is not good, I just have not seen enough of him and from what I have heard he is more of a pure winger then a AM type. Maybe move Labroca in his spot and play Cronin in Labroca's spot. I would like to see that. Not that Labroca is a real AM, but he is in teligent enought to contribute.

I just hate adding extra lines.

I would like to see Barrett and Jacobson in the forward position, with Peterson feeding in for both Dero when he breaks forward and Barrett.

But I don't really have a interactive Pitch map to put them where I'd like to see them ;)

But ya.. I really doubt it tough, Preki is always thinking about resting players for two games from now, it's all numbers, no bite.

You'll seem him play dero as a "forward" eliminating any strength he has to work, and with 4 Mids behind him.

At half he will do one of two things.
(if Cronin starts) he'll take Cronin out and stick Labrocca on. Or he'll stick Peterson. (labrocca if it's 0-0 or 0-1 for TFC peterson if it's 1-0 2-0)
If Peterson is still on the bench then at 65 he'll sub Barrett out for him and put DeRo in a striker spot. Because it's the dumbest thing I can think of.

Stryker
05-15-2010, 07:55 PM

I think we both chose Peterson as an attacking mid because during a game 3 weeks ago (can't remember who we were playing) Peterson was surprisingly good with the ball at his feet while being pressured just outside the box.

bigtfcfan
05-15-2010, 08:02 PM
I think they should go 4-2-3-1.

--------------Frei-----------------
usanov--cann--attakora--hscanovic
--------JDG----Sanyang-----------
Labrocca-------DeRo---------Cronin
-------------Barrettt--------------

Lennon
05-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Everyone should know by now what formation I want out there ... 4-3-3/4-5-1 Barrett - White - Peterson and Dero behind White ... we've come pretty close to playing that in the 2nd half of the Chicago game I think and look how that turned out .. :D

Perfect ... he'll be suspended for the game he's going to miss anyway .. or does it not work that way?

Blixa
05-15-2010, 08:41 PM
4-1 La.

Number Nine
05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Anyone coming to Scallywags? I'm lonely!

loconet
05-15-2010, 08:52 PM
3-1 Galaxy :(

C.Barrett19
05-15-2010, 08:58 PM
TFC wins 2-1:P

Hustle
05-15-2010, 08:58 PM
1-1 Draw

Kaz
05-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Any word on Streams?

It's really too bad Match Center sucked so bad this year.

Nerepis
05-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Any word on Streams?

It's really too bad Match Center sucked so bad this year.

This should help.

http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=76285&part=sports

Auzzy
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm expecting absolutely nothing from this game. I just hope we can avoid red cards or injuries, which would cost us in the future. Maybe Frei & the CBs make some magic & we escape with 0-0 or something, but I doubt it.

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm going to Scally's.

s2cazz
05-15-2010, 09:08 PM
http://www.atdhe.net/19330/watch-toronto-fc-vs-los-angeles-galaxy

stream

Oldtimer
05-15-2010, 09:34 PM
match thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22587