PDA

View Full Version : LaBrocca for Wynne

J .
05-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Which party, if any, won the trade that sent Wynne to Colorado for LaBrocca?

Pachuco
05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Good trade both ways if you ask me. Trading isn't a competition. Sometimes both teams are in need of something different and the trade works out both ways. In my mind that's what has happened here.

Stouffville_RPB
05-12-2010, 09:35 AM
It's only been a few games. Robert looked good at first too.

pekduck
05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Robert?

v00d00daddy
05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
I voted solely on having watched Wynne for 3 years. Still too early to tell about LaBrocca but I know what we had in Wynne...

not a soccer player. By the time his brain and feet catch up to his athletic ability his athletic ability will be on the decline because he's 10 years away from resembling a real soccer player.

Stouffville_RPB
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Robert?

I know it wasn't a trade but at first he looked good too. Just saying that it is too early to pass judgement.

Hitcho
05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
It's only been a few games. Robert looked good at first too.

Disagree. Robert was throwing his arms up and showing a lack of willingness to track back right from the get go. It was instantly obvious he felt above the league and his team mates and was expecting get by on some flashes of brilliance without constant substance. That flukey free kick aside, which went under a jumping wall and was really nothing special, he never really impressed me. it was obvious he had the talent but the commitment was never there.

Whereas LaBrocca has looked good for a few games now and also comes with a decent pedigree within MLS. He works his ass off, chasing down balls in the opposition corner flag area when we're winning to close out a game, and he has good technical and positional ability too.

Still, agree it's only been a few games and could all change. However, I would not swap Robert (after his first few games) for LaBrocca (after his first few games) under any circumstances.

As for the OP, I agree with the 2nd post - both sides have probably done well out of it, and unless you trade players from the same position it's hard to make a direct comparison. However, so far I am pretty happy about the trade from a football point of view.

Oldtimer
05-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Disagree. Robert was throwing his arms up and showing a lack of willingness to track back right from the get go. It was instantly obvious he felt above the league and his team mates and was expecting get by on some flashes of brilliance without constant substance.

True. I suspect Preki would have shipped out Robert in 5 minutes.

Technorgasm
05-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Labrocca has needed his own thread forever!

Way to show initiative, he is taking corners, owning the right and has no problems drifting in and having JDG cover as he gets the ball forward.

he may nopt be as fast, but offesr far better defensive coverage and far better holding cpabilities than Wynne. .

there is NO doubt in my mind we wont ihs.

thanks for this thread.
LONG over due props for LAbrocca. .

Shaughno
05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
LaBrocca is hands down a much more overall and talented player than Wynne. Marvell's speed is something you're never really going to replace, but he didn't really offer much outside of that aspect. In fact, I see a lot of similar traits in Usanov that I saw in Wynne, just slightly more refined and with less speed.

Shakes McQueen
05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Yep, Labrocca has been far more valuable to us than Wynne ever was.

- Scott

mastermixer
05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
To me he's really only had one standout game so far. Lets see if he can keep it up.

Suds
05-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Good trade both ways if you ask me. Trading isn't a competition. Sometimes both teams are in need of something different and the trade works out both ways. In my mind that's what has happened here.

Yeah, if in every trade a GM tries to rape the other team, the GM in the end would get nothing done. Word would get out an teams would not deal with the GM anymore.

Labrocca fits better in the formation and style of play Preki is trying to employ. It seems like Wynne is playing well in CO. So far the trade is a win for us ... and CO as well.

Darlofletch
05-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I like Labrocca, he's going to be a really valuable squad player for us.

I'm intrigued to see how Wynne does at centre back for colorado. The switch from full back makes sense as it negates his tendency to be out of position, as cbs don't have as much space or encouragement to get forward as fbs do, and also negates his lack of focus as he'll generally have a forward right there to remind him of where he should be, as well as other defenders either side of him to help with that as well.

So you minimise those problems, while still allowing his speed to be a valuable asset, colorado can really push up and keep a high line as he'll be able to outrun anyone when the ball's played over the top.

so, Labrocca is definitely better than TFC fb Wynne, rapids cb wynne though? I don't know. so i voted too early to tell.

Carefree
05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Too early to tell, but it's looking good so far.

trane
05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
LaBrocca is hands down a much more overall and talented player than Wynne. Marvell's speed is something you're never really going to replace, but he didn't really offer much outside of that aspect. In fact, I see a lot of similar traits in Usanov that I saw in Wynne, just slightly more refined and with less speed.

Agreed. I vote that we won. Maybe in the long run Wynne becomes a great CB, I do not see it, but even if he does he was not going to develop here.

Sláinte TFC
05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Still too early to tell in my opinion. I like what LaBrocca has done so far. He seems to be just the type of player that Preki wants on this team. Works hard, good attitude, positionally sound, smart team player with sufficient talent. Wynne would frustrate Preki to no end if he was still here. Looks like a good trade for TFC so far but I haven't really followed how Wynne is doing.

jabbronies
05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
LaBrocca doesn't take a lot of unnecessary risks. He has the ability to play the ball off another player for a couple of touches to make something happen.

So far so good. We'll see if it lasts.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
WE STILL NEED TWO FULLBACKS!!!

I have no issue with LaBrocca but we are weaker at the back without Wynne. His skills were descent, positioning questionable but both were made up with his speed!

Those two clowns at the back are going to cost us points!

WE NEED TWO FULLBACKS!!! And a striker and a CB and a…

DichioTFC
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm very happy with LaBrocca. He has demonstrated that he has the mental capacities (positioning, off the ball, teamwork, vision) that Wynne never had. Wynne is a superior athlete and has great response speed, but that seemed to be his only, glowing feature.

I was a Wynne fan but I'm not upset that he's gone. Besides, if there was a Canada v. USA rift in the locker room (as Cummins implied), it could be that the only team USA member was part of it.

The team looks much improved with LaBrocca from a personality sense and that in itself makes the trade a good one for TFC.

DichioTFC
05-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Also, credit where credit is due. I hate MoJo as much as the next guy, but he did get thsi deal done (its true that Preki was the one who probably lit the fire under Mo to get it done, or, knowing Preki, he put it the legwork himself).

But still, in the interests of fairness, MoJo got himself a win on this one.

J .
05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Since LaBrocca came, Ive had mixed feelings about him. So its interesting many people still feel its too early too tell.

However, I think thatafter Ive had to consider about how I felt about it and its likely both sides got what they were looking for. TFC needed a midfield depth and a versatile player. The Rapids needed pace in their line up.

I looked into how the CRapids fans thought and to generalize many believed they got the better of the deal, while acknowledging where he lacks. LaBrocca was always solid but not amazing and I dont think truly missed by them.

For our side, I do not believe that Wynne is truly missed by the TFC squad. While they are not great, I dont think Gargan or the Latvian Guy really are a step down. They are better positionally, can cross the ball and equally let the other team cross into the box like Wynne did.

Where LaBrocca I think helps TFC the most is ability to keep the ball on the ground, but also can put in a good cross. For me that is where Wynne really was deficient. His pace made up for his lack of positioning, but he just could not cross the ball.

So, both sides gained from this. Wynne may have a little more long term upside and with further development become a really good player but LaBrocca is slotting in for the most part nicely where ever he is asked to play so as it stands, both sides got what they were looking for.

DichioTFC
05-12-2010, 01:30 PM
WE NEED TWO FULLBACKS!!! And a striker and a CB and a…

We have Gargan, Hscanovics and Saric. No, they're not perfect, but they're serviceable. The only real crossing risk in the MLS is Ljungberg and our team defence shut him down effectively.

We have Barrett and OBW as our strikers. What they need is more time together to develop a partnership similar to last game.

We have CanNana at CB. Clearly the best CB partnership in TFC history and plus they're Canadian. :canada:

There is room for improvement on this team but I'm content with the team we have out there. I would like Cronin to play more, I sure hope he doesn't become our Darko Milicic but our team is playing better football than many people expected.

FootieChick
05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I like LaBrocca... but Wynne being my fav I'm trying not to be bias. However... watching Wynne play for Colorado, he's doing amazing. You saw him play against us... we couldn't beat him to the net! He stopped every single attempt we had made at a goal. He's an amazing defencement... we used him as a middle. LaBrocca has had his ups and downs, he got a goal for us which is great and I like the guy, but we were better off with speed, agility and passion for TFC which is what Wynne had.

Menelaos
05-12-2010, 01:41 PM
This is when we are being homers to the max.
Quite clear, that at for now, Colorado got the better of the deal.
Wynne has been rock solid back there while Labrocca has beem 'meh' at best.
He had one good game (in a storm) but other than that, 'meh'.
1 goal a season doesn't make, and in order to change my mind he has to shine and be noticed like Wynne was and IS being noticed.

Looking at the votes, I see some similarities with Leaf fans *sigh*

trane
05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Who says Wynne has been rock solid at the back? I am not being an ass, I am just wondering have you seen him play there over a run of games.

Menelaos
05-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I've read the reviews on his performances.
I've also talked to people who have seen him play and wonder why we never used him like that.

rocker
05-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Wynne's only played 7 games with them... Lots of players have good stretches of play but wilt over the course of the season (shit, even Seattle fans are criticizing Montero now).
I'll reserve judgment until we see a full season from both in their new environments. Labrocca is a better player in terms of skill, while Wynne is a better athlete.

Super Cereal
05-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Way too early, far premature.

That said, I've been impressed with Labrocca. He hussles on defence more than a lot of other wingers, and consistently tries to create with his crosses. Hard not to like players like him.

DichioTFC
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Way too early, far premature.

I can't tell you how much I hate that argument. It's the easiest cop-out. Granted there will be more evidence to come later that will make this decision easier but LaBrocca has been a regular starter. There's been enough material with which to gauge his play.

FFS, commentators judge the value of certain trades the moment they happen. I fail to see how they, and 62 voters thus far, are able to determine the value of a trade but so many out there cannot.

DichioTFC
05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
This is when we are being homers to the max.
Quite clear, that at for now, Colorado got the better of the deal.
Wynne has been rock solid back there while Labrocca has beem 'meh' at best.
He had one good game (in a storm) but other than that, 'meh'.
1 goal a season doesn't make, and in order to change my mind he has to shine and be noticed like Wynne was and IS being noticed.

Looking at the votes, I see some similarities with Leaf fans *sigh*

I'm usually the first one to point out the Leaf fan similarity with a lot of arguments that come across here but you lost me on this one.

For all the complaints that came with Wynne's play, I was a fan of his. When LaBrocca came in I was opposed to the deal initially (mainly because I wasn't sure of LaBrocca... the devil you know versus the devil you dont). But LaBrocca has won me over. He appears to be a team leader, determined and hard working. I'm not saying Wynne didn't embody those values, but LaBrocca has been stronger in those departments.

Fair to you if you don't see it the same way as me and the majority of others, but to say its a Leaf fan syndrome is not true. LaBrocca has simply been a solid player whereas Wynne was often out of position. That most likely weighed heavily for most people.

trane
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I've read the reviews on his performances.
I've also talked to people who have seen him play and wonder why we never used him like that.

Why? Because only in the MLS can a guy who in real life is what 5-8? with little defensive sence play as a CB. He has very few of the basic attributes of a good CB. He is an athlete and has leaping ability, but everything else just does not make him a natural CB.

Shaughno
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Why? Because only in the MLS can a guy who in real life is what 5-8? with little defensive sence play as a CB. He has very few of the basic attributes of a good CB. He is an athlete and has leaping ability, but everything else just does not make him a natural CB.

Agreed Trane. All it means is he can catch up to the striker after he loses him in the first place. I like Wynne, he's a great guy, but he's more of a natural athlete than he is a natural soccer player that's for sure.

trane
05-12-2010, 05:49 PM
^ That is exactly what I was thinking, " all it means is he can catch up to the striker after he loses him in the first place". ahahahahha. I guess it is a positive, of sorts.

He is a good guy.

greatwhitenorf
05-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Sweet lob by LaBrocca to Barrett to help set up DeRo's goal in Montreal. Don't think Wynne would/could have made that play.

Section 110
05-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Marvell Wynne's physical abilities allowed him to be out of position, but his first and final touch let him down more often than not. Still, he was thrilling to watch.

Labrocca's biggest skill is that he's smart. Couple that with his industry on and off the ball, and you've got a more complete and trustworthy player.

Love Marvell, he'll always have a place in my rare and bloody TFC heart. But Labrocca is the new TFC; skill, brains and relentless work ethic. My kind o' playa!

Shaughno
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Marvell Wynne's physical abilities allowed him to be out of position, but his first and final touch let him down more often than not. Still, he was thrilling to watch.

Labrocca's biggest skill is that he's smart. Couple that with his industry on and off the ball, and you've got a more complete and trustworthy player.

Love Marvell, he'll always have a place in my rare and bloody TFC heart. But Labrocca is the new TFC; skill, brains and relentless work ethic. My kind o' playa!

Well said. There's a reason this guy played every game for the Rapids. Smart, consistent and a fucking pest to get the ball off of in the midfield.

koryo
05-13-2010, 11:22 AM
As far as I'm concerned it's not too early to tell. I've never rated Wynne and was glad we could get a proper footballer for him.

Shaughno
05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Again agreed Koryo. Great athlete, but limited football knowledge and skill IMO.

Troll
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Labrocca's goal celebration was confirmed by Luke Wileman to be a mock-up of Jersey Shore.

Apparently Labrocca is nicknamed after the character known as "The Situation".

LOL, sounds like it'd make for a decent banner.

P-NUTZ
05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
It's not that hard to see what you get in a player after a few games - including the good - bad - and in between.

Robert: skilled but one way - lazy and selfish.
Wynne: lot of heart and speed. reckless and anti climactic.
Labrocca: smart and calm. wants ownership of the ball. distributes well and gets along well with others.

Labrocca more crucial a win for us in my mind.

DichioTFC
05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Labrocca's goal celebration was confirmed by Luke Wileman to be a mock-up of Jersey Shore.

LOL, sounds like it'd make for a decent banner.

From my limited knowledge of Jersey Shore, the guy named "The Situation" is some guy who keeps referring to himself in the third person.

A good banner would be LaBrocca crossing a ball saying "This is The Situation"

jloome
05-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Disagree. Robert was throwing his arms up and showing a lack of willingness to track back right from the get go. It was instantly obvious he felt above the league and his team mates and was expecting get by on some flashes of brilliance without constant substance. That flukey free kick aside, which went under a jumping wall and was really nothing special, he never really impressed me. it was obvious he had the talent but the commitment was never there.

Whereas LaBrocca has looked good for a few games now and also comes with a decent pedigree within MLS. He works his ass off, chasing down balls in the opposition corner flag area when we're winning to close out a game, and he has good technical and positional ability too.

Still, agree it's only been a few games and could all change. However, I would not swap Robert (after his first few games) for LaBrocca (after his first few games) under any circumstances.

As for the OP, I agree with the 2nd post - both sides have probably done well out of it, and unless you trade players from the same position it's hard to make a direct comparison. However, so far I am pretty happy about the trade from a football point of view.

Hardly fair. THey knew Robert was a one way player when they hired him. Had been since PSG.

deeznutz
05-15-2010, 02:34 PM

LOL fuck me..........

Cashcleaner
05-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Still kinda early to make any real assessment, but so far he's been doing good for Toronto. Not sure what the situation is with Wynne over at Colorado, but I'm happy with what I've seen thus far.

trane
05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Hardly fair. THey knew Robert was a one way player when they hired him. Had been since PSG.

Robert if used right could have been an asset longer. Attitude was another issue. I agree with you, I did not wathc him much before TFC but even then I new he was a one way player, if you expected him to switch when comming to the MLS that was not going to happen.

J .
05-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Robert if used right could have been an asset longer. Attitude was another issue. I agree with you, I did not wathc him much before TFC but even then I new he was a one way player, if you expected him to switch when comming to the MLS that was not going to happen.

He was a massive disappointment. Anything less is delusional.

If LaBrocca continues to get better, I think that people will switch to Yes. But its obvious most fans need to see more.

Stryker
05-15-2010, 08:06 PM
For what it's worth Wynne has played every minite this season and has no shots on net and no assists.
Stats column doesn't mention how many hand balls he may have given up. :p

Brooker
05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
For what it's worth Wynne has played every minite this season and has no shots on net and no assists.
Stats column doesn't mention how many hand balls he may have given up. :p

I know he's given away a penalty.... but dunno nething else.

Whether we won the trade or not, I will say this.... I don't really miss him.... although I do appreciate his damn hard work for the club.

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 09:28 AM
^^ I think Usanov has all the same attributes as Wynne, with slightly more skill and a little less athleticism.

All in all, the LaBrocca trade IMO was definitely a 'win' on our end. I can't accurately make judgement on Wynne's play with the CRapids to be fair.

TorontoBlades
05-17-2010, 10:49 AM
^^ I think Usanov has all the same attributes as Wynne, with slightly more skill and a little less athleticism.

All in all, the LaBrocca trade IMO was definitely a 'win' on our end. I can't accurately make judgement on Wynne's play with the CRapids to be fair.

I rate Usanov way ahead of Wynne - I like the way he plays the game. He makes less runs, but the few that he does have a little more thought put into them. Plus I love that he tackles the way he does early, sends a message early and keeps the opposing strikers a little tentative. Wynne has about as much upside as Ben Johnson (anyone remember when he tried to make it as a footballer locally :facepalm: )...that said LaBrocca is servicable and he adds to the single best attribute on this club this year, reliability...I've never been more confortable with a 1 goal lead in four years supporting this club.

Shaughno
05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
So true man. So true.

How's the shoulder doing these days? LOL still playing footy?

TorontoBlades
05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
So true man. So true.

How's the shoulder doing these days? LOL still playing footy?

still not 100% but reminds me of a good times....still playing regularly though, you?

Shaughno
05-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Shit man that sucks, they never really get back to normal. Same, sometimes too much lol 3-5 times a week.

Whoop
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
I think Usanov has been weak defending this year but not as bad as Wynne though.

ArmenJBX
05-22-2010, 02:53 PM
I like Gargan, but Usanov is also decent. Who starts? Gargan is a good, hard worker and Usanov is a bit faster. Both deserve to start IMO.

Hey, it's better to have too many players to choose from then not enough, amirite? :D