PDA

View Full Version : Cronin and what...for...

Manutd27
05-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Will Johnson....I know his name comes up all the time on these boards and there seems to be not even the slightest suggestion that he may end up here, but we can all hope ( those who support the idea )....So I ask ( and I will start by saying I love Cronin ) would Salt Lake consider a Cronin plus something for Will Johnson?

Shaughno
05-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Maybe, from what I remember center mid is probably their most filled position though... I could be wrong.

Dub Narcotic
05-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Will Johnson....I know his name comes up all the time on these boards and there seems to be not even the slightest suggestion that he may end up here, but we can all hope ( those who support the idea )....So I ask ( and I will start by saying I love Cronin ) would Salt Lake consider a Cronin plus something for Will Johnson?

No, they wouldn't. RSL is one of the best teams in the league, and their midfield is a large reason why. Johnson is also happy in SL and doesn't have the strong Toronto ties like JDG or DeRo to entice him back for off-the-field reasons.

colman1860
05-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't think we need another midfielder...

Broadview
05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
They love WJ there. We'd have to overpay...

But for the sake of argument, they package Johnson and whatever their version of Garcia is (salary albatross) for Cronin, Frei and OBW or Nana.

I wouldn't do it.

Manutd27
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
They love WJ there. We'd have to overpay...

But for the sake of argument, they package Johnson and whatever their version of Garcia is (salary albatross) for Cronin, Frei and OBW or Nana.

I wouldn't do it.

I don't think anyone would...Frei, Nana, and OBW are good players and play regularly. I worry about what will happen with Cronin he was so promising last season and I just feel like if he was not part of Preki's plan he should have been moved on while he still had value ( not that he doesn't now but sitting on the bench does not help your sell on value ).

ecospice
05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Sophomore slump for Cronin. His play will pick up. He'll be just fine come mid-season.

Having said that, he's short which causes difficulty playing in the air against taller opponents and with Cronin and the similarly vertically challenged JDG in the middle it creates the possibility of problems.

Sanyang has at least 2" on Cronin and Saric about the same - so we'll likely see them play more than Cronin, with Peterson and Labrocca on the outside.

The midfield depth is pretty good with Cronin and one of Saric/Sanyang backing up the starting MFs.

bgnewf
05-10-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think we need another midfielder...

With due respect you are dead wrong..... And here's why.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/the-missing-link/

We need a midfielder who can play on the wing the way Ronnie O'Brien did. We need that more than we need any more strikers or central midfield players IMHO.

Until we have a midfield that can use the width of the pitch more effectively than we have we will never be as formidable as we can be on paper and also will never be able to give our strikers the kind of service they need on a consistent basis to succeed.

J .
05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
WJ would give us player who could give us some width. If we traded Cronin for him, I would be all for it. Doubtful though.

Pachuco
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Last year I wasn't of this opinion. But after watching Will this year more and watching Cronin rott on our bench I think this would be an excellent move. It's obvious Preki doesn't see Cronin as a starter, and it's obvious we need someone with the ability to spread the field the way Will can. I'm all for this move.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Cronin + Ibrahim = Johnson. I think that could get it done. Johnson's probably perfectly happy with RSL, I'm not sure every Canadian player pines to play with TFC.

TFC_PB
05-10-2010, 04:45 PM
How can they get rid of Cronin - they just gave him a watch for cryin' out loud!

jmorgs88
05-10-2010, 11:38 PM
i would put cronin ahead of sanyang...surprised he is getting as much time as he is...i dont think not playing for a few games means we should look to get rid of him at this point...not unless ibrahim, garcia or someone along those lines is in the package

Luca
05-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Sophomore slump for Cronin. His play will pick up. He'll be just fine come mid-season.

Having said that, he's short which causes difficulty playing in the air against taller opponents and with Cronin and the similarly vertically challenged JDG in the middle it creates the possibility of problems.

Sanyang has at least 2" on Cronin and Saric about the same - so we'll likely see them play more than Cronin, with Peterson and Labrocca on the outside.

The midfield depth is pretty good with Cronin and one of Saric/Sanyang backing up the starting MFs.

You can't really call it sophomore slump when he's been stagnating on the bench for the majority of the season, to be fair.

Yohan
05-11-2010, 02:00 AM
you know what I like? having quality depth on bench

James17930
05-11-2010, 04:15 AM
I wouldn't say Cronin is going through a sophomore slump, simply because I think most fans have highly over-rated him. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's nowhere near as good as everyone makes him out to be. He's another Chris Pozniak -- a decent, versatile guy who can come off the bench when needed to play in many different positions. That's it.

He may be smart positionally, but he's under-sized and timid -- not a good combo. So many games last year he was practically invisible, but he'd show up once to get a good cross in, or score a goal off a PK rebound, and everyone would sing his praises. But where was he the other 89 minutes?

If we could trade him for WJ, that would truly be a steal of epic proportions, and Mo would immediately cancel most of the negative criticism against him.

But I have a feeling that most coaches around the league are well aware of what Cronin does and doesn't offer, and I don't think there's any way in hell Jason Kreis is going to give up WJ.

ExiledRed
05-11-2010, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't say Cronin is going through a sophomore slump, simply because I think most fans have highly over-rated him. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's nowhere near as good as everyone makes him out to be. He's another Chris Pozniak -- a decent, versatile guy who can come off the bench when needed to play in many different positions. That's it.

He may be smart positionally, but he's under-sized and timid -- not a good combo. So many games last year he was practically invisible, but he'd show up once to get a good cross in, or score a goal off a PK rebound, and everyone would sing his praises. But where was he the other 89 minutes?

If we could trade him for WJ, that would truly be a steal of epic proportions, and Mo would immediately cancel most of the negative criticism against him.

But I have a feeling that most coaches around the league are well aware of what Cronin does and doesn't offer, and I don't think there's any way in hell Jason Kreis is going to give up WJ.

What are you on about?

James17930
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
There were times last year where I would forget he was even on the field because you wouldn't see or hear anything from him for like ten or twenty minutes.

This may or not may not mean anything, but notice that after getting called up for a couple of US MNT games, he hasn't been since.

Again, I'm not saying he's a bad player -- I just don't see why anyone should be that concerned that he's not in the starting XI.

Pachuco
05-11-2010, 10:07 AM
There were times last year where I would forget he was even on the field because you wouldn't see or hear anything from him for like ten or twenty minutes.

This may or not may not mean anything, but notice that after getting called up for a couple of US MNT games, he hasn't been since.

Again, I'm not saying he's a bad player -- I just don't see why anyone should be that concerned that he's not in the starting XI.

I wasn't terribly concerned that on Saturday he wasn't in the starting 11. But I was before that game. Sanyang over Cronin in the midfield is not a bad idea. I like both of them and therefore don't mind which one plays. however, Saric over Cronin was a slap in the face to Cronin. That's what was pissing me off in the past. I have no idea why we'd let Cronin rott on the bench when Saric was getting starts. Anyways, looks like Preki has that one figured out now and Saric is where he belongs, on the bench.

Oh and James, I agree with you somewhat that Cronin can at times look invisible. But I always thought he would get better an better with Robbo showing him the ropes.

ExiledRed
05-11-2010, 12:23 PM
you know what I like? having quality depth on bench

this

We start offing cheap and versatile talent for expensive names, then it'll bite us in the arse when that 'name' typically pops his knee for three months.

Leave Cronin alone.

ag futbol
05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
But you're talking about the one position where we definitely have some depth to spare...

I'd be more than willing to swap that for a decent winger who's going to provide something similar.

Suggestion = Nick Zimmerman

jloome
05-11-2010, 04:58 PM

He's not smart positionally. That's his biggest issue so far this year, ball watching. I'm not surprised he's sitting, the way he's looked in his few appearances.

He's a good tackler and a good distributor and good offensively away from the ball. But his defensive positioning this year has been horseshit.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-11-2010, 05:11 PM
The reason Cronin isn't playing much is that he doesn't run around hacking at the opposition like Saric and Sanyang - that seems to be what Preki wants out of the position.

DoubleUp
05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
WJ would give us player who could give us some width. If we traded Cronin for him, I would be all for it. Doubtful though.

I agree at this point!, with this new squad Will johnson would benefit us much more than cronin........he's more confident and is more of an attacking threat.

Probably wouldnt happen but it would be great.

[NBF]
05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Sophemore Slump:

I dont think Cronin is having a slump or is not training hard enough. It's the fact that Preki doesnt think he is good enough to beat out Gargan or Peterson in the RM position, which is basically the only spot available for him since Preki decided to trade away Marvell Wynne for LeBrocca(a.k.a. KicksWithHisLeftFootSoHeStartsOverARightFootFugga) .

As Far As Trading Cronin:

Doesnt that sound like the familiar story? A player who has a role to play with the club, the club decides to discard because they don't know how to utilize him. Cronin is just the latest victim to be pushed out of the club by (miss-)management.

los sonadores
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not surprised Cronin's confidence has been low (as he mentioned in a recent TFC TV interview). As a rookie he publicly called out the attitude/culture of his team. Now the culture (in the form of Preki) has changed and he's glued to the bench.

At the moment I like Sanyang with JDG. But why trade the guy? He's a class act and there's been enough change of late (like, the last 4 years).