PDA

View Full Version : DeGuzman loves this Club and City

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
I would like some feedback regarding what I think is Toronto's, Canada's and MLS's best DM(just my opinion i know)

DeGuzman is such a huge asset in the proper DM role for his club or a more AM role for Canada.

His superior skill, technical ability, vision, work ethic and passion for our club and country is HUGE.

I just want supporters to help DeGuzman adjust to MLS style of play and recognize that he is awesome in his defined role of DM with the club and DM/AM with country.

Deportivo de la Coruna Player of the Year 2007-2008(also helped Deportivo gain UEFA Cup spot)

CONCACAF Gold Cup Tournement MVP 2007

Canadian International Player of the Year 2008

1st Canadian to ever play in La Liga

3rd Canadian to ever play in Bundesliga

from DeVos:

Quote:
De Guzman is not a goal scoring midfielder, but he is superb at keeping possession under pressure. Time and time again he demonstrated his ability to wriggle out of sticky situations with the ball at his feet.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jason...oronto-fc.html (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jason...oronto-fc.html)

quote from oldtimer:

The only weakness I see in JDG's play (apart from the one instance in jumping out of the wall) is that he is still adjusting to the style of play of the team and the league (read "the lower-quality players who don't anticipate passes into space"). He is by far one of the best DMs in MLS and an upgrade over Robbo with just a slightly bigger cap hit. It's only the cap hit that counts, and I don't care how many millions MLSE pays out of their own coffers above the cap. Also with up to 3 DPs being allowed, he won't affect TFC's future chances of landing a DP-striker, should the cap be properly managed from here on in.

please answer the poll to see how and if our passion and IQ is in line with DeGuzman's skill, vision and passion....

ManUtd4ever
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
The correct answer is that JDG has the potential to be the best DM in the MLS but he hasn't demonstrated it on a consistent basis yet...

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
The correct answer is that JDG has the potential to be the best DM in the MLS but he hasn't demonstrated it on a consistent basis yet...

ok, i can see where you are coming from....

remember though...he has been playing since 2002(last 7 years) at Hannover96 and Deportivo...I think he has quite a bit of adjusting to do..

Stencils
05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I think this is a debate already happening in multiple threads on the boards. Is there really a need to 'draw a line in the sand' on this issue?

I don't think there's any way we'll help him 'adjust'. He's either going to do well or he isn't.

Also, there's only so much anyone can do and that makes this issue completely subjective anyway. If the team wins with him in it, people who support JDG blindly or based on his previous work will say that he played a big part in it. If the team loses with him in it, the same people will just say that all the players around JDG aren't playing to his level.

I really couldn't be bothered to assess JDG's worth to TFC based on his previous record at this point. I feel that now he's here, we can see for ourselves.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 11:18 AM
exactly...there are 11 people on the pitch. Its a team game. JDG is not superhuman and cannot do it all on his own...

One of the interviews of Thierry Henry had him saying that he is afraid to go to MLS because the perception is that whatever team he goes to will win the Top of the Table and the MLS Cup....which Henry goes on to say, that i can't be made out to be a saviour, i'm just one player amongst 11.

and its so true......

TFC/Everton
05-10-2010, 11:29 AM
By mid season JDG will be one of the best players in the MLS. He has already shown signs of getting used to our style of play, and he looks more focused than he did last year. Personally, I think he was a great addition to our club.

jazzy
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
he who votes no is a cad, however 1 man doesn't make a team, but without him we R dead in the water, teams have to back off him, that is invaluable, doesn't anyone remember the past there were always 3 opponents to our 1 or 2 always near the ball, that space created is from RESPECT....the team knows..

razor787
05-10-2010, 11:52 AM
JDG has shown that he has it in him. When he first started, he was playing like he had world class players playing beside him. He now knows that he needs to let off on his passes into space, because they usually arent anticipated.

The only thing I am concerned about with JDG, is that since he is playing at a lower level of play, when he is done with TFC and moves on to bigger and better again, then how badly will his play have suffered?

He wont be playing to the best of his ability here, because the other players around him cant rise up to match it, so will he still be a valuable part to a high profile team once he leaves?

ExiledRed
05-10-2010, 11:56 AM
He's impressing me more and more every game, and not only are the team adapting to him, but he's adapting to the team.
He's worth a lot of money, but I actually think he's making a difference and our defence is much stronger with him in front of them.
I really wanted a striker, but I'm seeing real benefits to having JDG as our DP right now. We'll see at the end of the season, how much hes contributed and to what, though.

koryo
05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
He's impressing me more and more every game, and not only are the team adapting to him, but he's adapting to the team.
He's worth a lot of money, but I actually think he's making a difference and our defence is much stronger with him in front of them.
I really wanted a striker, but I'm seeing real benefits to having JDG as our DP right now. We'll see at the end of the season, how much hes contributed and to what, though.

Couldn't have said it any better.

trane
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
He is starting to do what I had hoped that he could do.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Agreed.

Ageroo
05-10-2010, 12:10 PM
JDG is da man....nuff said. :) Although I am very biased in that, as I am a big homer and have followed him for a long time. I think adapting to what MLS and TFC have to offer is the key thing that was lacking when he first joined....as well as a full training camp and time to prepare. I am hoping like all that game by game his level of play elevates everyone around him. now we need this play to transfer itself to road play as well........

__wowza
05-10-2010, 12:32 PM
He is starting to do what I had hoped that he could do.

the more we see the team "gel" the more we're going to see JDG shine, mark my words.

edit: unless nick garcia is marking them. cause if he is, then attempt to backpass my words to frei.

Azerban
05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
my favourite part about this thread is that there is absolutely no link between title and content

Wull
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I voted no, he hasn't been any of the above so far but you've been a cheerleader for him in every thread. Are you his mother?!

Pachuco
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
my favourite part about this thread is that there is absolutely no link between title and content

Yeap, that was exactly my thought. I don't get the question to be honest.

Is it:

1. Is JDG the best DM to ever play for Canada? Ummm...maybe. I don't remember the 1986 team that much but they did make the world cup so I have to think they had some pretty good players on it.

2. Is JDG the best DM to ever play for the MLS? It would be an insult to Shalrie Joseph to say something like that. And that's comparing him to a DM who plays in the league now, I don't know how many others there have been in the past.

3. Is JDG the best DM ever to play for Toronto FC? Well, considering our last DM won player of the year TWICE I hardly think what he's done for TFC constitues this title.

4. Does JDG have the potential to be the best DM to play for Canada, TFC, MLS? absolutely he does.

BFin
05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
JDG loves the city he was born in?

You don't say.

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeap, that was exactly my thought. I don't get the question to be honest.

Is it:

1. Is JDG the best DM to ever play for Canada? Ummm...maybe. I don't remember the 1986 team that much but they did make the world cup so I have to think they had some pretty good players on it.

2. Is JDG the best DM to ever play for the MLS? It would be an insult to Shalrie Joseph to say something like that. And that's comparing him to a DM who plays in the league now, I don't know how many others there have been in the past.

3. Is JDG the best DM ever to play for Toronto FC? Well, considering our last DM won player of the year TWICE I hardly think what he's done for TFC constitues this title.

4. Does JDG have the potential to be the best DM to play for Canada, TFC, MLS? absolutely he does.

This post speaks to me.

JDG has the tools and abilities to be the best DM TFC has ever or will ever have. But he hasn't shown us yet. I think he will. But for now, you can't award somebody credit for something he has not provided yet.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I voted no, he hasn't been any of the above so far but you've been a cheerleader for him in every thread. Are you his mother?!

No. Are you a hater??

DeGuzman is the link, the rest is a statement.

Yeap, that was exactly my thought. I don't get the question to be honest. It's a pretty easy question...One of the best, YES or NO...

Is it:

1. Is JDG the best DM to ever play for Canada? Ummm..(The question said ONE of the best ever..but again u hate).maybe. I don't remember the 1986 team that much but they did make the world cup so I have to think they had some pretty good players on it.

2. Is JDG the best DM to ever play for the MLS? (Screw Shalrie Joseph, The question said ONE of the best ever, has Shalrie picked up accolades in LaLiga or CONCACAF..Nope!)It would be an insult to Shalrie Joseph to say something like that. And that's comparing him to a DM who plays in the league now, I don't know how many others there have been in the past.

3. Is JDG the best DM ever to play for Toronto FC? (Again the question reads ONE of the best ever..but again you hate.)Well, considering our last DM won player of the year TWICE I hardly think what he's done for TFC constitues this title.

4. Does JDG have the potential to be the best DM to play for Canada, TFC, MLS? absolutely he does....(Hmmmm ...WoW you actually show a small glimmer of appreciation for what he potentially can do....but yet don't give him credit for what he has done in his career thus far)

Pachuco
05-10-2010, 01:38 PM
No. Are you a hater??

DeGuzman is the link, the rest is a statement.

I don't give a rats ass what JDG has done in his career when he's out there playing for TFC. All I give a shit about is whether he produced on the field or not. Your post, sir, just confirmed to me that you judge JDG's performance in the MLS based on the fact he played for Derpotivo. I think you need to get your head out of his ass.

2. Is JDG the best DM to ever play for the MLS? (Screw Shalrie Joseph, The question said ONE of the best ever, has Shalrie picked up accolades in LaLiga or CONCACAF..Nope!)It would be an insult to Shalrie Joseph to say something like that. And that's comparing him to a DM who plays in the league now, I don't know how many others there have been in the past.

Wull
05-10-2010, 01:39 PM
No. Are you a hater??

I've hated the way he's been playing up until the last few games and I've hated the way everyone has given him a pass for being canadian and having played well elsewhere. That being said, I've had nothing to really hate about his last few performances but yes I also hate the fact you've gone over the top about him again. Nothing personal towards you or JDG though

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 01:40 PM
This post speaks to me.

JDG has the tools and abilities to be the best DM TFC has ever or will ever have. But he hasn't shown us yet. I think he will. But for now, you can't award somebody credit for something he has not provided yet.

So when Beckham came to LA....did he deserve credit for being a highly skilled and technical player....did he have to win the MLS Cup in order to prove he is great? I don't think so....I think he is a great player regardless of LA not have finishing Top of the Table or winning the MLS Cup.

Julian has been proving his worth ever since leaving for Europe in 2000...He has had to work hard to earn his keep in Hannover96 and Deportivo de la Coruna....You think he deserves no credit for all the hard work he has been putting into the National team and staying a top his game in Europe?? come on man...give him some credit Roogsy

Wull
05-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't give a rats ass what JDG has done in his career when he's out there playing for TFC. All I give a shit about is whether he produced on the field or not.

This part of it also sums it up for me

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't give a rats ass what JDG has done in his career when he's out there playing for TFC. All I give a shit about is whether he produced on the field or not. Your post, sir, just confirmed to me that you judge JDG's performance in the MLS based on the fact he played for Derpotivo. I think you need to get your head out of his ass.

Pachuco...should I be concerned that we are agreeing so much pendejo? :eek:

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
So when Beckham came to LA....did he deserve credit for being a highly skilled and technical player....did he have to win the MLS Cup in order to prove he is great? I don't think so....I think he is a great player regardless of LA not have finishing Top of the Table or winning the MLS Cup.

Julian has been proving his worth ever since leaving for Europe in 2000...He has had to work hard to earn his keep in Hannover96 and Deportivo de la Coruna....You think he deserves no credit for all the hard work he has been putting into the National team and staying a top his game in Europe?? come on man...give him some credit Roogsy

Becks AND JDG receive credit for being successful players in higher leagues. That's where that credit ends.

But ALL players have to prove themselves once they arrive. It took time for Goldenballs to do it, but he has. Now JDG has to as well. Credit is earned, not carried over from elsewhere.

Pachuco
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM

post the question about whether JDG is one of the best to ever play for Canada in the Canadian forum and I'll give him all the credit in the world. As long as I've been alive, he's ONE of the best players I've seen play for Canada. However, there are others as well, Dero comes to mind ;). Nothing you say here has anything to do with Julian in a TFC uniform.

Wull
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I personally wouldn't class beckham as a great footballer. He's more hype and marketing than substance

Pachuco
05-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Pachuco...should I be concerned that we are agreeing so much pendejo? :eek:

HAHA, yes. Be carefull, or you'll be pinned as a hater ;)

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

I judge DeGuzman on his superior ability in one of the most under-rated postions in Football...DM. DeGuzman has been climbing uphill his whole career...what are you like 18 years old?? DeGuzman has given so much for this club and country...and all you do is shit on him for it. Its 11...YES 11 people on the pitch...one man is not a saviour of sins of others. He tries his balls off for the crest on his shirt!!!! He does more for this club then any of your stupid posts, especially the ones that attack me!

So when Thierry Henry comes here or Robert Pires are you also gonna hold them to the same light and say "well fuck what they have done in the past, they need to prove themselves in the MLS or else they are shit"

Come pachuco, grow up!

TFCREDNWHITE
05-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I personally wouldn't class beckham as a great footballer. He's more hype and marketing than substance

:facepalm::drinking::facepalm:

HAHAHAHAHA What a joke of a post....Beckham not great...It doesn't matter that you think that...He's proved you wrong many many times..

Pachuco
05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I judge DeGuzman on his superior ability in one of the most under-rated postions in Football...DM. DeGuzman has been climbing uphill his whole career...what are you like 18 years old?? DeGuzman has given so much for this club and country...and all you do is shit on him for it. Its 11...YES 11 people on the pitch...one man is not a saviour of sins of others. He tries his balls off for the crest on his shirt!!!! He does more for this club then any of your stupid posts, especially the ones that attack me!

So when Thierry Henry comes here or Robert Pires are you also gonna hold them to the same light and say "well fuck what they have done in the past, they need to prove themselves in the MLS or else they are shit"

Come pachuco, grow up!

for fucks sakes let's talk about JDG in the Canadian Forum, or the Deportivo Forum and it's a different discussion. Stop twisting my dissapointment in JDG (WHILE WEARING A TFC UNIFORM) for anything other then it is. JDG IS NOT SHIT. JDG IS NOT SHIT. JDG IS NOT SHIT. He's underperforming in a TFC uniform. You don't agree, that's your problem.

Simple question. If JDG's career ended today for unfortunate reasons. Would you put him on the wall of honour at BMO? would he go down as one of the best players in the MLS?

If your answer is yes, then I'm 18 years old and probably old enough to be your dad.

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 01:57 PM

That isn't what Pachuco or anyone else is saying, and to claim so is to misconstrue people's statements.

Wull
05-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Come pachuco, grow up!

I wouldn't tell others to grow up when you come on here acting like a love-struck teen girl and attack anyone who sees jdg differently from you.

He's not a great defensive midfielder in the world game. Up until recently he hasn't even been a good dm in mls and he has yet to justify his salary although he at least looks somewhat interested in the games now (although being dropped for breaking curfew has bad undertones). In order to do that he has to prove himself to be significantly better than Robbo over a number of years as he's been the measuring stick in that position for TFC. I'm not looking for him to beat 4 players on mazy runs and score hat-tricks before you start your usual distraction from the argument tactics either.

Oldtimer
05-10-2010, 01:58 PM
[wearing mods hat] People... calm down [/wearing mods hat]

JDG is in my eyes a significant upgrade over Robbo, so he's the best ever for TFC (3-1/2 years of history).

Whether he is one of the best DM in MLS... well that's true, not that there are that many notable DMs in MLS (Shalrie and Robbo are exceptions).

One of the best ever for Canada? Well, we're looking at over 100 years of history. I doubt there were too many of us watching the CMNT in the 1950's or earlier.

__wowza
05-10-2010, 02:02 PM

HAHAHAHAHA What a joke of a post....Beckham not great...It doesn't matter that you think that...He's proved you wrong many many times..

uhhhmm.. free kick against greece anyone?
i'm greek and it's not like i could've been upset over that goal. that was a fuckin monster of a free kick.

Wull
05-10-2010, 02:02 PM

And how has he done that exactly? He can cross a ball well, he can strike a dead ball and he works really hard. He can't tackle, he can't head the ball, he can't beat people on mazy runs. To be the best paid player in the world you should have to be able to do more than cross and hit dead balls well and be marketable

Oldtimer
05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
OK guys, you can't play nice... thread closed.