PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Monday,May 10

denime
05-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Mornin'

There's no place like home for TFC (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/theres-no-place-like-home-for-tfc/article1562802/)

The many sides of Toronto FC (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/jasondevos/2010/05/the-many-sides-of-toronto-fc.html)

Toronto FC thump Chicago Fire (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/james-on-soccer/toronto-fc-thump-chicago-fire/article1562152/)

Scorer's apprentice (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/05/09/johnston_scorer_apprentice/)

Road form comes into renewed focus for TFC (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/two-weeks-away)

Henry Gives Academy Win (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/henry-gives-academy-win)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

keem-o-sabi
05-10-2010, 06:15 AM
Good Morning D, coed ladies of the day 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/07/miss-coed-amanda-olson/) and 2 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/05/08/miss-coed-bethany-rein-2/)

shutupkid
05-10-2010, 06:31 AM
SSG is fugly.

Technorgasm
05-10-2010, 06:48 AM
I think I am not the onlyone who thinks that bearing the weather on saturday was WELL worth it to see us piss out the fire.

No Blanco, no Rolfe = Easy home win for us. .
Ps - McBride as DP? thank god we avoided that folly. . he stinks.

Technorgasm
05-10-2010, 06:51 AM
P.S. .

Did anyone stick around to see the young'uns?

scooter
05-10-2010, 07:03 AM
mornin d

DavydMT
05-10-2010, 07:31 AM
P.S. .

Did anyone stick around to see the young'uns?

Ulllltrasss

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/4591951439_e0f2af0402_b.jpg

Carts
05-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Quote from Ryan Johnston's article: "...While difficult to say farewell to the players who gave TFC its identity, the shrewdness of Mo is showing signs of being worth it..."

Interested to hear what many think of this... Mo has been public enemy number-1 for most on here, and now he's receiving the first signs of positive press...

Carts...

Oldtimer
05-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Fron De Vos' article:

While the players always take the plaudits for a big win, head coach Preki deserves some praise as well.

Before the game, I had a chance to talk with Preki about his decision to rest De Rosario and de Guzman for the first half of last weekend's 2-1 loss away to Real Salt Lake. He said that both players were fatigued after the Nutrilite Canadian Championship game against Montreal, and he took the decision to leave them out in Salt Lake City.
I asked him if, in hindsight, he would do things differently, and his response was a simple, "No."

Give up a likely loss to guarantee a home win.

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Ulllltrasss

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/4591951439_e0f2af0402_b.jpg

:lol:

OMG TAKE THIS SHIT DOWN!

Shaughno
05-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Fron De Vos' article:

Give up a likely loss to guarantee a home win.

Interesting to hear some people's thoughts on this now. ;)

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Ryan Johnston's praising MoJo for a "schrewd" trade? Ridiculous.

Yes, Barrett had a great game on Saturday and I am happy for him and us. But let's not lose our heads here. :rolleyes:

Shaughno
05-10-2010, 07:54 AM
I was impressed by his composure to be honest. Maybe he did get that boost of confidence and it may just be the improvement we needed. He could have had a hattrick or better from the chances he had on goal.

Also I'm impressed with Obie... the kid is getting into the same form that made him a star in college. If he keeps this up, we may just have the strike force we've been looking for. We certainly looked miles better than the John/McBride strikeforce that seemed almost lost on Saturday.

Steve
05-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I was impressed by his composure to be honest. Maybe he did get that boost of confidence and it may just be the improvement we needed. He could have had a hattrick or better from the chances he had on goal.

Also I'm impressed with Obie... the kid is getting into the same form that made him a star in college. If he keeps this up, we may just have the strike force we've been looking for. We certainly looked miles better than the John/McBride strikeforce that seemed almost lost on Saturday.

True about Obie, I haven't been overly impressed with him this year yet, but he does seem to have a good touch occasionally. If he can keep up that nice touch, him and Barrett might make a pretty good team (with DeRo feeding them).

Oldtimer
05-10-2010, 08:22 AM

I'm paraphrasing De Vos. His thoughts, not mine.

koryo
05-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Isn't it just.

Oldtimer
05-10-2010, 08:27 AM
My opinion is:

I think that squad rotation is good in principle, but TFC doesn't have the depth to ever rest their 2 best players. One maybe, both, no.

I still stand by that, despite De Vos' comments.

I would have given each of them 1/2 a game off like Preki, but not both of them on or off simultaneously.

koryo
05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
^^ Fair enough, but I'm a pragmatist. If resting our two best players away one Saturday puts three home points in the bag the next, I know what I'd do.

Beach_Red
05-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote from Ryan Johnston's article: "...While difficult to say farewell to the players who gave TFC its identity, the shrewdness of Mo is showing signs of being worth it..."

Interested to hear what many think of this... Mo has been public enemy number-1 for most on here, and now he's receiving the first signs of positive press...

Carts...

The problem is we really don't have any idea how much of anything Mo is actually responsible for. Now it looks like Carver and Cummins were not good choices for TFC but with the backroom dealing between the agency and the league and the owners, do we really know who hired Carver and if the owners would have approved a new coach's contract mid-season or if they required an already-being-paid assistant to take over? Every deal the team has made seems to have a lot of hands on it.

There is some reason why the owners have a much different opinion of the guy than the fans do. Maybe they do know somthing about what has really been going on with their franchise...

ManUtd4ever
05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
I will give Mo credit for obviously acquiring the likes of DeRo, JDG as well as drafting key young players such as Frei, Attakora, OBW, Sanyang, and Cronin. As far as the core of the team, Mo's stamp is still on this club. However, Barrett practically fell in his lap when McBride decided to return to the MLS from the EPL and TFC just happened to be next in line for a player's rights returning from overseas...

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 09:00 AM
^^ Fair enough, but I'm a pragmatist. If resting our two best players away one Saturday puts three home points in the bag the next, I know what I'd do.

That's not a gimme. You take points where you can get them. Otherwise, we'd be resting DeRo and JDG every away game and playing them all-out at home. That's a ridiculous proposition.

Not to mention, there is the very real issue that this is simply an excuse for a fuck-up. Other players that have played just as much as our best players were not benched. There is very good information that this was in fact not the reason for Preki doing what he did but I am hoping we can move on and concentrate on the win on Saturday as opposed to a game from a week before. Shall we?

Whoop
05-10-2010, 09:27 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Barrett, in that, I don't mind him, mainly because of his work rate. Yeah, he's messed WAY TOO many times for my liking but it got me thinking about those praising Preki for Barrett's new found "confidence".

I wonder how much getting grass has helped Barrett? In his comments about grass, I wonder he's just more comfortable on the grass.

I know it's no excuse - I mean other players play well on turf AND grass - but maybe that new found confidence is coming from playing on grass and not necessarily Preki.

Also he was injured during preseason, no?

Either way, Barrett's biggest problem has always been his consistency.

He's had a couple of good games at home but it doesn't make a season. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Darlofletch
05-10-2010, 09:28 AM
I'd give preki more credit than Mo for all the "shrewd" house cleaning and rebuilding we've gone through. Too many of Mo's big signings got shipped out for me to think it was his decisions. But hey, if we're going to give mo shit for hiring carver and cummins, then I'll give him credit for hiring preki.

As for why can't we win on the road? from the torontofc article.

The contrasts between Toronto FC’s play at home versus the road just continue to be more evident. So much so, that the only similarity between the home and road versions lies in the names on the roster.

The problem is that it isn't the same names. And it's not just on the road, on saturday we looked much better in the second half, weather aside, the main difference was the players/formation. All of our best play, a half here a half there, never for a full game yet, has been with barrett and White up front and De Ro back in the midfield, whether centrally or on the wing. And usually we haven't played that way on the road. That's the main difference.

Thing is though, we need to be able to play a different way, have a plan b depending on the opposition so I'm not going to bitch if preki keeps experimenting with one +De Ro up front, Hopefully that will eventually click to give us a more defensive option that actually works well.

Detroit_TFC
05-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Two MLS-related tidbits from Sports Business Journal (sub req'd):

The Mexican Football Federation (FMF) extended SUM's contract to hold the rights to Mexican national team promotion in the US. Big big revenue for SUM and by extension, MLS owners. Traffic from Brazil put in a bid and there was some thought that SUM might not be able to match them, but did.

Second, Castrol expanded its WC and MLS sponsorship activity. As part of this they are going to start including MLS rosters in the Castrol-sponsored player tracking database and rankings. Good news for players and the league as that will increase integration of MLS in the global transfer market. Probably bad news for fans, this may increase the number of MLS players leaving for greener pastures as more info about MLS players will be available to scouts internationally.

ManUtd4ever
05-10-2010, 09:51 AM
The problem is that it isn't the same names. And it's not just on the road, on saturday we looked much better in the second half, weather aside, the main difference was the players/formation. All of our best play, a half here a half there, never for a full game yet, has been with barrett and White up front and De Ro back in the midfield, whether centrally or on the wing. And usually we haven't played that way on the road. That's the main difference.

Thing is though, we need to be able to play a different way, have a plan b depending on the opposition so I'm not going to bitch if preki keeps experimenting with one +De Ro up front, Hopefully that will eventually click to give us a more defensive option that actually works well.

Agreed, although I would like to see a similar lineup and formation that was utilized in the second half against Seattle/Chicago to start a match on the road for once. I want Preki to go balls out in an attacking mode away from BMO Field. I want to see what this club is truly capable of against a powerhouse like L.A. in their own yard...

denime
05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Agreed, although I would like to see a similar lineup and formation that was utilized in the second half against Seattle/Chicago to start a match on the road for once. I want Preki to go balls out in an attacking mode away from BMO Field. I want to see what this club is truly capable of against a powerhouse like L.A. in their own yard...
It is not abut having a balls,it is about game after LA in Vancouver,that is very important game if he wants to qualify for CCL.One bad game in NCC and we will need another miracle to go trough,one bad game in MLS and you still have 22 games to make playoffs.

Supporters live in moment ,coaches looking several game down the road,and planing their roster well ahead.

TorCanSoc
05-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Going to be interesting to see who Preki puts in on Wednesday. Put the young guys back in. Ice the puck and play for the tie.
:hide:

bgnewf
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Going to be interesting to see who Preki puts in on Wednesday. Put the young guys back in. Ice the puck and play for the tie.
:hide:

A win puts TFC in the drivers seat. Play our best 11 for the first 45 and if they perform as advertised then make the changes and park the bus.

This game is critical.

koryo
05-10-2010, 10:32 AM
That's not a gimme. You take points where you can get them. Otherwise, we'd be resting DeRo and JDG every away game and playing them all-out at home. That's a ridiculous proposition.

Not to mention, there is the very real issue that this is simply an excuse for a fuck-up. Other players that have played just as much as our best players were not benched. There is very good information that this was in fact not the reason for Preki doing what he did but I am hoping we can move on and concentrate on the win on Saturday as opposed to a game from a week before. Shall we?

I don't mean every away game, should have made that clear. Only when there's fixture congestion.

ManUtd4ever
05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
It is not abut having a balls,it is about game after LA in Vancouver,that is very important game if he wants to qualify for CCL.One bad game in NCC and we will need another miracle to go trough,one bad game in MLS and you still have 22 games to make playoffs.

Supporters live in moment ,coaches looking several game down the road,and planing their roster well ahead.

I do agree in principle and I understand the concept of managing the roster rotation for long term benefit but our abysmal road record is a clear reflection of the inferior lineup/formation that has been implemented in every league road game so far this year. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that Preki has taken the NCC so seriously. Realistically though, I think TFC is capable of beating Montreal by starting the likes of Cronin, Peterson, Saric, and Hscanovics along with key players like DeRo, JDG, Barrett, and White and then resting 3 of the top players for the final 30-40 minutes. If that was the case, Preki could still go with our best lineup for the first 60 minutes against L.A. and try to get a result...

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I do agree in principle and I understand the concept of managing the roster rotation for long term benefit but our abysmal road record is a clear reflection of the inferior lineup/formation that has been implemented in every league road game so far this year. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that Preki has taken the NCC so seriously. Realistically though, I think TFC is capable of beating Montreal by starting the likes of Cronin, Peterson, Saric, and Hscanovics along with key players like DeRo, JDG, Barrett, and White and then resting 3 of the top players for the final 30-40 minutes. If that was the case, Preki could still go with our best lineup for the first 60 minutes against L.A. and try to get a result...

This... :thumbsup:

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Not to mention the fact that this team plays with confidence and swagger when we score first and panic when we're behind, Saturday showed us that much. There is no sense going out there with a defeatist attitude because it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If any team can win on any given day in this league, then plan for it and play like it.

rocker
05-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Also I'm impressed with Obie... the kid is getting into the same form that made him a star in college. If he keeps this up, we may just have the strike force we've been looking for. .

OBW is definitely an interesting player. I find he looks rough around the edges at times.. but he seems to be a calm finisher when the chances arise and a decent passer with a good sense of the fundamentals of the game. When he runs all-out he's actually got decent pace. He's also good at coming away with the ball in one-on-one battles when the ball is on the ground and he has good size to trouble defenders. He has one achilles heel: He's pathetic though at judging high balls! I dunno if he has a complex about jumping against another player, but I don't think I've ever seen him win a ball out of the air... just a strange tendency I've noticed with him!!

Beach_Red
05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Not to mention the fact that this team plays with confidence and swagger when we score first and panic when we're behind, Saturday showed us that much. There is no sense going out there with a defeatist attitude because it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. If any team can win on any given day in this league, then plan for it and play like it.

The second half of the RSL game, then, showed us that the team doesn't always panic when behind. So maybe things are improving.

Jeffro
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Okay, Preki's game plan for RSL was brilliant. But it failed. If the boys held out in the first half, and we came out with a 1-nil or a draw, everyone would be waxing poetic about those tactics. Dwayne came on in the second half and was gassed after about 30 minutes. Clearly he needed the rest.

The concept of having some of our best players with fresh legs in the second half playing at altitude against a team that lost one home game all last season is a great idea. RSL know how to use their altitude to their advantage, and Preki turned the tables on them. They were the team worn down, and our guys could use a bit of possession against them.

It's a fair point that we may not have the depth for this type of tactic, but I'd say it wasn't too far off working perfectly.

Just my opinion.

denime
05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
The second half of the RSL game, then, showed us that the team doesn't always panic when behind. So maybe things are improving.

Hey, Roogsy this :thumbsup:

:poke:

Whoop
05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
It's easy not to panic when you're not behind, what's done is done.

To me the test is more when you're up 2-0 and give up a goal or you're up 1-0 and give up a goal... in the past, that's when the team panicked.

denime
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Form De Vos article:

In Preki's opinion, the goals they conceded in the first half in Salt Lake were down to individual errors more than anything else. No coach can legislate for those kinds of mistakes, and one can only hope that Toronto's players will show the same defensive fortitude on the road that they exhibit in the confines of BMO Field.

This :thumbsup:

J .
05-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Im liking how Preki is growing the team, but on one had I agree with Roogsy that we should play to win every game, on the other hand I can see how Preki views the goals given up as personal mistakes.... Nonetheless, watching RSL take it to us was not fun to watch as it always looked like we were on the brink of disaster.

Roogsy
05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey, Roogsy this :thumbsup:

:poke:

So what you're saying is that when they have their top scorer on the pitch they play with more confidence?

What does that say about the strategy of leaving your best player off the pitch? I don't get this agreement that the strategy is ridiculous even with the obvious evidence that it failed. Despite the failure, the strategy is still right? :noidea: