PDA

View Full Version : Our Road Form and the Media

James17930
05-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Do we have poor road form? Yes. We rarely win, seldom draw and often lose. I won't pretend it's acceptable -- we need to do better.

And it's okay for the media to bring up this topic and discuss it.

But what I can't stand is the way the Toronto media (again) take a molehill and blow it up into a mountain, simply for the sake of something to write about, without giving the reader proper context.

Almost all the articles in the papers and on CBC about our 4 - 1 win -- a great, huge, important win for the club -- were not about said win and the positive aspects of it, they were about how our road form sucks. Well fine. If you'd rather focus on the team's problems instead of their successes, that's your choice.

But then you know what? Do it properly. Provide the proper context. Mention that ALMOST EVERY SINGLE OTHER TEAM IN MLS (aside from the Galaxy right now) have horrible road records. Or that ALMOST EVERY SINGLE OTHER FOOTBALL TEAM ON THE ENTIRE PLANET (aside from the elite ones) have horrible road records.

I can't say I know all the reasons why, but playing away from home in football is simply a hard thing to do, and it's rare to have success, so much so that there's actually a rule -- the away goals rule -- to specifically reward teams who can actually bang out some goals on the road in a home-and-home series. Does any other sport in the world have such a consideration? No.

So, to the reporters that cover this team: instead of sensationalizing and always running for the nearest negative thing to write about, please try to keep your ruminations within the context of the sport, and, hey, even give the boys a little credit when they deserve it.

Is that too much to ask?

Yohan
05-10-2010, 04:38 AM
controversy sells papers

the primary purpose of media is to make money

Auzzy
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with the OP. I admit, I have found the way that TFC plays away from home to occasionally be pretty awful (independent of the results). But I would really like a reporter to take 30 minutes to do some research & provide some context. How does TFC do compared with other MLS teams? How do MLS away teams do, compared with other leagues around the world? There are so many interesting ways to look at this.

For example, I recently saw a comparison of the home & away record for MLS since TFC's inception. (Not sure if TFC's first season was included, and I can't find that article at the moment.) In any case, I believe TFC's away record over the years is actually better than the average MLS away record, and not very extreme compared with it's home record when looking at the league context.

Obviously, this year TFC's record is pretty extreme, 3-0 (or 4-0 incl. NCC) compared with 0-4. But we also know it's a bit of a fluke and won't last the complete season -- at least that extreme. If you watched the complete games, it's obvious that TFC wasn't always as stellar at home, and as shite away from home, as the record this season would suggest.

rocker
05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree that the focus is misguided after a home win. MLS teams typically suck on the road. It's normal in a league where you travel thousands of miles to games at altitude or play in the heat of summer. I think the best teams on the road barely crack even. MLS teams need to steal a few on the road (11 games left for TFC there) and then have a fortress at home.

but I blame the road form ON THE MEDIA! Gerry Dobson is a curse on those Sportsnet road game broadcasts!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)