PDA

View Full Version : POST-GAME: TFC vs. Chicago Fire

TFC USA
05-08-2010, 04:57 PM
4-1 to the good guys. Goals from Labrocca (aided by wind), White, and a Barrett brace. :scarf:

Shitty boring first half of play but once the long ball was eliminated we played some football that would have many TFC fans fapping.

The 2nd half beat the Seattle 2nd half from two weeks ago. This is the best they've played and we finally got a counter-attack goal.

Barrett is a god. Dero is a god. OBW is a rising star.

Montreal is next on Wednesday on the road.

I ask this of you.....WHY CAN'T WE PLAY LIKE THIS ON THE ROAD?!!!!!

TFC07
05-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Great 2nd half! :scarf:

JonnyIreland
05-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought the second half play was right up there. Excellent stuff!

DoubleUp
05-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Very good win........brilliant boys.........keep up the good work:scarf::flare::drum::scarf::flare::drum:

daner90
one word: DOMINATE!!! great performance by the Reds, some great confidence heading to Montreal

drek
Awesome 2nd half. So glad to see barrett finish

justin
phenomenal second half, you know preki must have ripped into them at half for the long ball, didn't see any of it in the second half, and the boys put together an excellent half. dero with great vision, OBW was excellent too, barrett gets the monkey off his back, and defensively we held the fire offense to a few weak chances, but nothing major apart from the wonderstrike, and a couple of half chances here and there. well done, moving on!

TheKing7
05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
...at this moment we are 2nd in the Eastern Conference

Cashcleaner
05-08-2010, 05:10 PM
one word: DOMINATE!!! great performance by the Reds, some great confidence heading to Montreal

Agreed. And it's one of the few games where we can honestly say that. Chicago didn't look all that bad, but we were definitely playing above-par and the result speaks for itself.

Bring on Montreal!

DoubleUp
05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
...at this moment we are 2nd in the Eastern Conference

Excellent.........the sun just keeps shining:)

Kilgore Trout
05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
What was the turnout? Looked better than the Seattle game in comparable conditions.

Redcoe15
05-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I thought TFC was going to tighten up in the second half after the flukey goal by LaBrocca and with the wind in their faces. But they played one of the most impressive second halves I've seen in awhile with the dropping of the long ball and keeping it on the ground. And I think it's safe to say Chad Barrett would never have scored those goals last year the way he did today. Let's hope he has finally turned the corner.

Now if only they can play like this on the road.

Detroit_TFC
05-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I think Preki's system is starting to show good affect. The second half should have been a big challenge for us considering the weather, but instead we stepped it up. OBW a big part of that, better play from LaBrocca and Usmanov helped a lot today too.

cougars732
05-08-2010, 05:25 PM
oooo chad revenge is sweet! you nasty boy

jimiv
05-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Awesome 2nd half. So glad to see barrett finish

It must of been the orange slices...:hump:

ensco
05-08-2010, 05:47 PM
That was sweet.

That was also sleet (or snow are something, it sprinkled around in both halves).

I'm frozen but happy.

Detroit_TFC
05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
It must of been the orange slices...:hump:

:smilielol5:

good one

:scarf:

GuelphStorm2007
05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Avery good second half in compare of the firsr half once they eliminate the long ball, The second goal was very good team passing, and Barrett had some fine finishing, that last goal Barrett scored last year he would have fired it right at the goalie, But who cares that was last year.

ensco
05-08-2010, 05:55 PM
OBW. Oh my god.

On Chad's first goal, OBW's first touch, attacking move, and then cross through the defender's legs, were all fantastic. May have been the finest individual sequence in TFC history.

And his give and go with Dero was pretty nice too (thank god he bundled that in! it didn't look too good for a split second there)

Chevy
05-08-2010, 06:00 PM
4-1 to the good guys. Goals from Labrocca (aided by wind), White, and a Barrett brace. :scarf:

I can see the BS blog headline now:

"TFC Gets Wind-Aided Goal - Bill Archer to lead FIFA Protest"

:D

WestStandGeoff
05-08-2010, 06:04 PM
you know preki must have ripped into them at half for the long ball

Preki might have benefited from watching the weather report for the day... watching the pre-game shoe on GolTV, he seemed oblivious to the fact that there were 100km/h winds forecast. We might have been able to eliminate the long ball in the first half if the coach had encouraged a different style of play.

TFC USA
05-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Game in six is up.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?id=809

JonO
05-08-2010, 06:18 PM
What was the turnout? Looked better than the Seattle game in comparable conditions.
Not sure of the attendance, but weather today was worst I can remember.

Chevy
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
20k announced attendance. Weather was the worst ever, with the exception of the Seattle home opener last year.

Pachuco
05-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Great second half by the boys. THAT is by far the best half of football we've seen this season.

gtaguy
05-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Kudos to the entire team.. Today they looked solid and played like a winner. I am so glad barrett finally talllied two goals on an awsome perfomrace.. Dero what else can i say he came out and showed why he's our captain and the rest of the squad without a doubt made this team look respectable..

All around today this club deserves all our appreciation.. :scarf:

Lucky Strike
05-08-2010, 06:29 PM
http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=22407

Ratings are up!

ag futbol
05-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Best game ever, worst weather ever... see what happens when you finish your chances? I don't think we wasted too many today, the counter attack was in full force.

Villa TFC
05-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Tomorrow's headline in Chicago Sun Times:

"Chicago no longer the Windy City: Toronto takes name and 3 points."

Nuvinho
05-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I feel like a fair weather fan.....I left at the half, because the person I went with wasn't fully prepared for the weather....damn!! But still watched the rest of the game at the bar.

btw, did anyone notice that the sun came out only for a brief minute, when Dichio was honoured ;)

Belfast_Boy
05-08-2010, 06:38 PM
wow! another very entertaining game! who are these guys? what the hell has happened to Barrett?
was in 104 a couple of rows infront of the Chicago supporters. good on them for coming. but they need to learn some new songs!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Shitty boring first half of play but once the long ball was eliminated we played some football that would have many TFC fans fapping.

The 2nd half beat the Seattle 2nd half from two weeks ago. This is the best they've played and we finally got a counter-attack goal.

Barrett is a god. Dero is a god. OBW is a rising star.

First thing that came out of my mouth when we went up 3-1

ManUtd4ever
05-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Other than a questionable lineup in the first half, there were so many positives to take away from today's performance. It was an absolutely brilliant match to watch considering the horrid conditions on the field. The second half featured some of the greatest offensive sequences in TFC history. I love the chemistry that is developing between DeRo, Barrett, and OBW. I am so happy for Barrett in particular and I would love to see him breakout for a career season this year...

twistedchinaman
05-08-2010, 06:48 PM

Those words sound awfully like words that were uttered by a Westerner a couple days ago...

Oh wait, that was ME! :D

Good win, made day @ work 10,000,000,000,000x better after being chewed out by some know-it-all.

twistedchinaman
05-08-2010, 06:52 PM

Now that's the billion dollar question, isn't it?

Let's hope Montreal will be the start of a new trend -- beating teams on the road. Because there's a huge test next week: LA, which beat Seattle of all teams 4-0 at Qwest.

dag
05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
My God, BMO Field was freezing this afternoon. The rain was being blown right into my face, no matter how low I pulled my cap and jacket's hood. I had on my long underwear, and still I was freezing!

But what a pleasantly surprising match. Great goals from racing up the field to take advantage of Chicago being out of position, well-placed passes, and great finishing shots on goal. Truly an outstanding performance by TFC.

Nuvinho
05-08-2010, 07:02 PM
DeRo sucks.....he didn't score any goals this game ;)

Stryker
05-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Chad Freakin Barrett boys! I'd put money on him scoring again in the next two games.

rocker
05-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Preki might have benefited from watching the weather report for the day... watching the pre-game shoe on GolTV, he seemed oblivious to the fact that there were 100km/h winds forecast. We might have been able to eliminate the long ball in the first half if the coach had encouraged a different style of play.

Preki knew about the weather report. TFC TV asked him about such a factor yesterday. I believe he even responded about keeping it on the ground. haha.

I was worried the whole game was gonna be as ugly as the first half due to the weather. I kept expecting some freak weather moment against us, like what happened with Labrocca :) But they came out second half and really changed their tune. Excellent!

gtaguy
05-08-2010, 07:07 PM
DeRo sucks.....he didn't score any goals this game ;)

yeah we should bench him.. Kidding.. all aside i am one happy basterd tonight.. Boy did these lads play hard tonight..

Stryker
05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Now that's the billion dollar question, isn't it?

Let's hope Montreal will be the start of a new trend -- beating teams on the road. Because there's a huge test next week: LA, which beat Seattle of all teams 4-0 at Qwest.

IF we could win two out of the next three on the road it would be huge for the phyche of this team and could really do wonders for our road game from here on out. I'm sure Preki knows it and he's gonna be all over the boys in training the next few weeks.

trane
05-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Today for the first time, I saw in Barret the true qualities of a striker, no not running around, but getting in good positions, which he has done before, but more importatnly keeping a cool head, and putting a good shot on, not just on the two goals, BUT also on the shot in the South End that the Chicago keeper had to stretch to knock out of bounce. I have not seen three qualites shots by him in five games let alone one. A couple of more games like this, in terms of quality of shots not goals, and I may turn around and admit what I did not think could happen, Barrett as a stop striker may happend.

However, De Ro, playing in the mid, altought on the wing, I would prefer more central had his best game ever in my opinion in terms of quality, he was unbelivable. Unbelivable pass for our third goal. JDG was the general we need him to be, and LaBrocca and Sanyang were the players we need them to be, Sanyang stoping plays and starting attacks with solid passes, backing up the offensive game. the back line got messy at times, allowed space on one occasion but was solid, particullarly the CBs and the Russian.

They need to continue this.

gtaguy
05-08-2010, 07:13 PM
labrocca's goal was classic.. good on jdg to pass it off to him .. white. im glad your coming around and thankyou for being such a team player . there were a couple of instances where chad and ob did thier thing and connected now thats what i call chemistry.. I am starting to feel a sense of security when these two connect and add dero into the picture.. all around what a great showing from all forwards this evening..

SmokedPanda
05-08-2010, 07:17 PM
glad to see someone else scoring besides Dero and even though captain Dero did not score today he got two huge helpers for 8 points in 7 games

I hope Barret can score another game winner Wednesday night in Montreal

FluSH
05-08-2010, 07:27 PM
OB WAN & Barrett

who would have thought? What a combination....

Dirk Diggler
05-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Great win today. Good to see Barrett finally finish like a true striker. I loved Dero's pass for the Chad goal ... he threaded the needle in between 4 Chicago players and set up Chad supremely. People who were questioning his ability and his competence as a captain should give their heads a shake by now.

James Oliphant
05-08-2010, 07:33 PM
http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/obwhitekenobi.png

morgank1986
05-08-2010, 07:35 PM
My God, BMO Field was freezing this afternoon. The rain was being blown right into my face, no matter how low I pulled my cap and jacket's hood. I had on my long underwear, and still I was freezing!

We starting singing "Shirts off, for the TFC" in 115, a couple of the guys obliged. I don't know how they managed in that wind. After a while security told them they had to put their shirts back on, they responded with the "Pants off, for the TFC" chant. Which they followed through with.

FluSH
05-08-2010, 07:36 PM
http://gotorontofc.com/jamey/obwhitekenobi.png

I still love this picture!!

TFC USA
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Labrocca's goal came at 23:14. Exactly one second after Dichio's 1st goal.

twistedchinaman
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Coincidence? I think not.

FluSH
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM

It was meant to be... on his day of honour:

God carried the Wind and we scored!!!!

James Oliphant
05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I still love this picture!!

An oldie but a goodie. Hope I have many more chances to use it this year. :)

James Oliphant
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/08/13879396.html <-- nice gallery.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/08/tfc1.jpg

dupont
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM
One of the best things about this season is seeing DeRo hogging the ball less and having confidence in his teammates. He is a great captain and the best player TFC has ever seen.

Awesome match today. It was well worth standing in a gusty rain storm for!

dannyd
05-08-2010, 07:52 PM
One of the best things about this season is seeing DeRo hogging the ball less and having confidence in his teammates. He is a great captain and the best player TFC has ever seen.

Awesome match today. It was well worth standing in a gusty rain storm for!

Agreed about DeRo. He has the ability to force his teammates to step it up, and you can see some of them are starting to come around.

He is simply the greatest player to wear a TFC jersey.

gtaguy
05-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Great win today. Good to see Barrett finally finish like a true striker. I loved Dero's pass for the Chad goal ... he threaded the needle in between 4 Chicago players and set up Chad supremely. People who were questioning his ability and his competence as a captain should give their heads a shake by now.

ya you noticed that too.. I was blown away.. That is vision on a soccer pitch.. Dero more and more impresses me everday ..wish we could have two more of him.. Tonight i can't complain about the club.. they withstood the strong winds and played smart footy in the second half..

Hope this is a sign of good things to come.. but i still want mo out of the front office..

jloome
05-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Agreed about DeRo. He has the ability to force his teammates to step it up, and you can see some of them are starting to come around.

That pass for Barrett's second was just classic. Split the whole team.

White looked the deal today. First touch was much improved and it looked like his teammates knew how to use him.

The whole game, though, came down to the midfield. They played a five-man mid and we still dominated them. Sanyang and Deguzman were insanely hard to work around.

Usanov's positioning was a bit suspect but his work rate and a couple of his saving tackles were first-rate.

Kilgore Trout
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
20k announced attendance. Weather was the worst ever, with the exception of the Seattle home opener last year.

undoubtedly good considering the conditions

Petor
05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
They look like a TEAM in this pic...

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/08/tfc5.jpg&size=640x418&quality=90
:scarf::flare::scarf:

devioustrevor
05-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I watched the Montreal-Minnesota game on TV today and that Montreal backline is bad enough that Garcia would immediately walk into the starting 11. They were lucky enough today that Minnesota's was just as bad.

We should be good for a couple goals on Wednesday. Which is good because I have no intention of traveling to Montreal to watch our lads lose.

Flint
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Shit im still frozen from standing out there but who cares best game theyve played so far!

dannyd
05-08-2010, 08:27 PM
That pass for Barrett's second was just classic. Split the whole team.

White looked the deal today. First touch was much improved and it looked like his teammates knew how to use him.

The whole game, though, came down to the midfield. They played a five-man mid and we still dominated them. Sanyang and Deguzman were insanely hard to work around.

Usanov's positioning was a bit suspect but his work rate and a couple of his saving tackles were first-rate.

What White showed us today is his frightening ability to run at defenders. I just wish he could also shield the ball and hold off opponents better. For a guy his size and strength, he is muscled off the ball far too easily.

anto7
05-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I feel like a fair weather fan.....I left at the half, because the person I went with wasn't fully prepared for the weather....damn!! But still watched the rest of the game at the bar.

btw, did anyone notice that the sun came out only for a brief minute, when Dichio was honoured ;)
O.K. Nuvi, I bet $20 it was a scantily dressed hot Asian chick you were with !!!

twistedchinaman
05-08-2010, 08:44 PM
O.K. Nuvi, I bet $20 it was a scantily dressed hot Asian chick you were with !!!

:lol: :lol:

zamperina
05-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Great job by the boys today...Looks like there finally clicking on all cylinders. Hopefully they can go on a bit of a run over the next difficult stretch.

twistedchinaman
05-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I watched the Montreal-Minnesota game on TV today and that Montreal backline is bad enough that Garcia would immediately walk into the starting 11. They were lucky enough today that Minnesota's was just as bad.

We should be good for a couple goals on Wednesday. Which is good because I have no intention of traveling to Montreal to watch our lads lose.

I wouldn't underestimate Montreal just yet; this was Minnesota -- perhaps they are saving their big guns for Toronto on Wednesday; the lads better get ready for some big time retribution, and Montreal to come out firing.

Krasno.pL.
05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
My hands are still freeezing !!!! :D but it was a great game! goodjob to the REDS! never paid 30 bucks for 2 beers but hey i guess it was worth the 4-1..
and jacks downtown after was great! Im glad i wwent!!

WestStandGeoff
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Preki knew about the weather report. TFC TV asked him about such a factor yesterday.

He must have done that interview after the GolTV one, also filmed yesterday, where he seemed oblivious to what today's weather was going to be. He played it off saying both teams face the same weather so it doesn't really concern him.

I'll give Preki the benefit of the doubt that he was too caught up working with the team to worry about the weather! :D

Anyway, I'm happy to forget about the weather and enjoy the win, enjoy that we equaled our franchise record of goals in a match, enjoy that Barrett is finally finding some confidence, and enjoy that the players seem to be coming together as a team.

WestStandGeoff
05-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Where was Cronin though? I was surprised he didn't start, and disappointed he didn't sub in... especially at 4-1. He was one of our most consistent players last year, and showed the same skill and work rate in his appearances this year, but seems to be on the outs for some reason.

Also, for different reasons, where is Ibrahim this year? Is there something behind him having zero minutes in all competitions the year?

dannyd
05-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Where was Cronin though? I was surprised he didn't start, and disappointed he didn't sub in... especially at 4-1. He was one of our most consistent players last year, and showed the same skill and work rate in his appearances this year, but seems to be on the outs for some reason.

Also, for different reasons, where is Ibrahim this year? Is there something behind him having zero minutes in all competitions the year?

I'm also puzzled about Ibrahim, he's a talented, energetic player who reads the game well for his age. However, there's certain characteristics Preki demands from his players - maybe Ibrahim doesn't have them? Who knows.

Cronin hasn't impressed me at all this year. He's really dropped off. Honestly, for me, he's gone from promising talent, to dead-weight. sorry...

ParadymeTFC
05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Pssh the players didn't have anything to do with it, its was all about the red kits.

But for real, that second half could have beaten any team in the MLS, Chicago looked completely lost and our guys were giving it their all despite the weather.

I really hope we can get this monkey off our backs and get something out of this away trip.

Rocket Robin
05-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I saw Sam Cronin running lengths of the field right after the game before the TFC Academy team came out to warm up for their game.

kitchener-TFC
05-08-2010, 11:15 PM

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/08/tfc5.jpg&size=640x418&quality=90
I was left speechless when I saw this. This in itself is spectacular. It brought a smile to my face.

GeorgeB
05-08-2010, 11:15 PM
I saw Sam Cronin running lengths of the field right after the game before the TFC Academy team came out to warm up for their game.yeah,dont think too many stayed for that one lol

Red CB Toronto
05-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Man was it cold with that crazy wind making it quite an interesting afternoon, it all began at the tailgate and a gust of wind lifted one of our tents in the air.

I made the choice to watch the first half under the cover of the north end stand, which allowed for me to stay dry even thought I was quite cold.

It was great to Chad break out and net two goals, I think this could be the start of a great stretch for him, he justed needed to get his confidence and make the most of it, which today he did.

The Labrocca goal was crazy, what a curl the wind caused and in the end made its way into the net.

Looking forward to making my way down to Montreal on Wednesday, I could see the Reds going off big, which would be great.

ag futbol
05-08-2010, 11:23 PM
If we're not going to play Cronin it's time for a trade. He's not the physical presence some other guys on this team are, but he's quite good on the ball and I'm sure there are a few clubs who would like him as an audition.

Nick Zimmerman doesn't seem to get any time with Phily but he was pretty damn good on the wing last year for NY. Very usable part in preki's system, Zimmerman + low amounts of allocation dollars makes sense IMO.

Auzzy
05-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Yup, the sun came out to honour Dichio before the game, and then the wind came out to honour Dichio at 23:14.

Auzzy
05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Re Cronin, maybe he hasn't looked as great as last season. But it's a given, when you have 24 guys on your roster, you're going to see some pretty good guys on the bench. It's pretty normal for a 2nd-year player. I assume we will be seeing more of Cronin in the coming busy stretch, and maybe he'll even get traded at some point, but this is all pretty standard. Consider also that Saric is due for a suspension due to yellow card accumulation pretty soon, and Sanyang and JDG aren't far behind in the yellow card count. I also heard that JDG hopes to play in Argentina. I think there's plenty of room for all these guys to step up when they are needed. Same for Ibbe: we've already seen a bit of him in other games, and I doubt we will go the whole season w/o one of Barrett, OBW or DeRo getting at least slightly injured at some point.

jazzy
05-09-2010, 01:12 AM

Looks like new wallpaper.....for me............great catch

nfitz
05-09-2010, 02:35 AM
I made the choice to watch the first half under the cover of the north end stand, which allowed for me to stay dry even thought I was quite cold.In the middle of the north stand, it was surprisingly pleasant - except for the brief period when it rained in the first half. When I came down at the half, I was surprised how windy it was underneath - and quite happy to escape back to the stands!

James17930
05-09-2010, 02:57 AM
The grass also looks like it's holding up really well, given the bad weather for some of the games.

Imagine what this game would have looked like on the turf . . .

Keystone FC
05-09-2010, 03:30 AM

OH WHEN THE REDS!
GO MARCHING IN!

ParadymeTFC
05-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Yup, the sun came out to honour Dichio before the game, and then the wind came out to honour Dichio at 23:14.

That wind came from a Dichio round house kick, he just loves scoring on Shitcago that much.

Yohan
05-09-2010, 03:48 AM
note that Chad Barrett scored both goals with his left foot (his weaker foot). hmmm... Chad Barrett is now only allowed to shoot with his left foot? lol. (he is actually pretty decent with his left foot)

his 2nd goal is just as cool finish as his breakaway goal vs Dallas last season.

Barrett to destroy Mtl in Mtl... again

Pookie
05-09-2010, 05:35 AM

... how often do you think players practice passing and receiving wet balls on a wet pitch in 100 km/h wind gusts?

Some of those "long balls" were likely chip passes that got hung up or hydroplaned their way out of danger.

No complaints from me. Coach and players did a fantastic job of adapting to extreme and unfamiliar conditions.

Keystone FC
05-09-2010, 06:09 AM
... how often do you think players practice passing and receiving wet balls on a wet pitch in 100 km/h wind gusts?

Some of those "long balls" were likely chip passes that got hung up or hydroplaned their way out of danger.

No complaints from me. Coach and players did a fantastic job of adapting to extreme and unfamiliar conditions.
Something just hit me, and it wasn't a wet ball, with the addition of the North stands it seems the wind pattern hasn't changed much when a day like yesterday happens, but as BMO continues to expand, and it will, I wonder if days like yesterday will be a thing of the past or could we still see wind aided goals for both us AND the opposition.

kaos197O
05-09-2010, 07:07 AM
I thought TFC was going to tighten up in the second half after the flukey goal by LaBrocca and with the wind in their faces.

That was no fluke! That was the soccer God's way of honoring Danny Dichio at exactly 23:14 in the first half for all he's done for TFC. It was absolutely fucking brilliant too :scarf: Thanks again Danny!

Redpunkfiddle
05-09-2010, 07:40 AM
First 3 league game winning streak at home, and 4 game streak in all competitions.

koryo
05-09-2010, 07:59 AM
The second half was very telling for me. Playing into the wind, they had to adapt and keep the ball on the deck. They did that very well.

I hope they take something away from their performance in the first half compared with the second.

They should be very proud of themselves for yesterday's display.

Yeoman
05-09-2010, 08:14 AM
I saw the last two goals. so fucking thrilled about that.
just seeing boris jumping up and down and competely spazzing out about labrocca's goal made me wish i saw it. i just seen it on the tfc website. holy mother of god WHAT A FUCKING GOAL!
and as well; CHAD FUCKING BARRETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/05/08/craig4.jpg&size=640x460&quality=90

I knew that boy would finally come around sooner or later! man i truly hope he can keep it up.

ManUtd4ever
05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
The second half was very telling for me. Playing into the wind, they had to adapt and keep the ball on the deck. They did that very well.

I hope they take something away from their performance in the first half compared with the second.

They should be very proud of themselves for yesterday's display.

Agreed. The other notable difference in the second half was DeRo moving back to an attacking midfield role behind Barrett and OBW. I know Preki is trying to manage the roster rotation in light of the busy schedule but our offense is so much more potent when DeRo plays his natural position as opposed to an all out striker. Preki has tried the DeRo experiment a few times now in the first half without any results only to move him back in the second half and it is no coincidence that TFC's offense has come alive in the latter stages of their matches recently...

koryo
05-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Agreed. The other notable difference in the second half was DeRo moving back to an attacking midfield role behind Barrett and OBW. I know Preki is trying to manage the roster rotation in light of the busy schedule but our offense is so much more potent when DeRo plays his natural postion as opposed to an all out striker. Preki has tried the DeRo experiment a few times now in the first half without any results only to move him back in the second half and it is no coincidence that TFC's offense has come alive in the latter stages of their matches recently...

Spot on.

tfcleeds
05-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Wasn't in town to see the match yesterday, watched it at a local pub. I can honestly say for once, perhaps I'm glad I was at a pub instead of the stadium!

Still, awesome performance by the lads yesterday. Hopefully they can build on this.

Goals: Barrett (2), OBW, Wind. :D

Darlofletch
05-09-2010, 08:56 AM
exactly. for all those saying, why don't we play like this away from home? this is the main reason, formation and personnel. when we play with two up front then de ro in midfield or on the wing, we play much better, at rsl last week, the second half when we switched formations, we did ok and won that half 1-0.

Nuvinho
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM

hahahaha!!!! nope. I told the guy to dress warm because its gonna be cold, but brave-ass didn't listen, so I missed the 2nd half.

btw, good luck today with Man United!!

Darlofletch
05-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Very satisfying game all in all. before it started with the wind, I said to my friend, this is going to be a shit show of a game, and the first half was, with way too many high balls that the wind took (what the fuck was their goalie thinking constantly trying for long high clearnces thaat kept blowing back at him).

I really didn't think one goal would be enough, but the second half we played really well and completely negated chicago's wind advantage, and scored three really good goals (ob's fluffed finish aside).

I'm in 227 so got a good view of barrett's slide, but also, after quite a few nee went topless after the third goal, when they scored the 4th, king dave briefly went pantsless, which i didn't really need to see. tighty whities for anyone that's curious.

Bloor West FC
05-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Yesterday's game was great! I don't know really what to say I mean they did most things very well. The weather sucked at first but it was kinda fun in a way.

I had a blast

London
05-09-2010, 09:10 AM
^^^^^ we could see king dave from across the field.

the low point was seeing 2 guys kicked out for throwing a streamer

ag futbol
05-09-2010, 09:34 AM
the low point was seeing 2 guys kicked out for throwing a streamer
Are we talking during a corner or just in general?

Gixmo
05-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Are we talking during a corner or just in general?

During a corner...

I caught that in Upper 111.. They're appeared to be a few ejections from down below on the Chicago corner in the second half.

Great atmosphere, disgusting weather and alot of empty seats. Lots of people were there for kickoff, but called it a day right quickly. Great supporters voice, lots of volume from the south end. It appears the 111 drum experiment (In a different thread soon) was a success based on feedback from those in 111. 110 was tied to us, and I was following Yeoman as best I could from up top.

Nice quality effort though, total football in the second half.

Bloor West FC
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
There were 2 guys not regulars in row 1, I think they just came down near the end of the game, funny thing is security seen them with the streamers and told them not to throw them during the game or they will be ejected, well 2 minutes later Chicago had a corner and they threw them, so bye bye. I have no problem with that. Let the game be played without having streamers and other objects being thrown.

flatpicker
05-09-2010, 10:58 AM
^ If security told them ahead of time that they cannot throw the streamers, then those two guys definitely deserve to be thrown out.

What were they thinking?
They can't exactly plead ignorance.

dannyd
05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
^ If security told them ahead of time that they cannot throw the streamers, then those two guys definitely deserve to be thrown out.

What were they thinking?
They can't exactly plead ignorance.

I don't understand how people could have thrown streamers yesterday with the wind we had. I mean, how would it be possible to throw streamers in 80km/hr winds? if it did go onto the field, wouldn't it have been a fluke, or it was thrown somewhere else and the wind blew it? The story just doesn't make sense to me.

Crazy Canuck
05-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Watching the highlights after Toronto chicago matchup. They handled McBride really well. He was falling on the ground more than anything also he looked pretty pissed off the whole game. Not to get ahead of ourselves, this result was for the Barret supporters who believed in him all the way. Not to sell anyone else short Dero Man of the match, Labrocca, usanov and white played really well.

Roogsy
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM

He figured in 3 of the 4 goals. The man doesn't even have to score to have an impact on this team. Massive.

Chad Barrett...I've ridden him hard for 2 seasons now. But at the Foundation event I approached him and simply told him "keep working, we all know how hard you're working and the supporters appreciate it". The relief on his face is gratifying for everyone.

Great game. Great effin' game. What a game to miss!

MrHawk
05-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Good to see Barrett hit a few (Including that 2nd goal which was just a great overall finish)

Also nice to see White being unselfish and trusting in Barrett to net in his first...........

jvanpeebles
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I think this is the first real game we earned. There was no ten men fielded as there was for two of our previous wins and Seattle hardly fielded their best team. We won ( and I agree, dominated ) in a fashion not seen this year or in some time by this team. I have not yet become a Preki fan but had told myself I should in all fairness give him and this team some time to work it out. If yesterday was any sign of things to come we may see some of these fair weather fans return that have obviously not been showing up. No way there was 20000+ fans at yesterdays games as stated but I was proud to watch that group really play as a solid team regardless of the rain and wind.

Roogsy
05-09-2010, 02:03 PM
I think this is the first real game we earned.

I agree. This year that is.

maninb
05-09-2010, 03:18 PM
I was pleasantly STUNNED to see Preki's lineup.....PERFECT! Would have rather had Cronin instead of Sanyang,,,but no Saric, or Hiscanovics (sp)....lovely! No let's build on this!!! Well done REDS!!!

bgnewf
05-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Toronto FC showed what might be possible this season with an emphatic 4-1 win against the Chicago Fire yesterday afternoon. Barrett scored a brace, the grass held up and Toronto kept the ball on the ground… And man oh man was it ever cold. Here is my video blog take on the TFC victory.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/toronto-fc-puts-out-the-fire-video-blog/

Roogsy
05-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I was pleasantly STUNNED to see Preki's lineup.....PERFECT! Would have rather had Cronin instead of Sanyang,,,but no Saric, or Hiscanovics (sp)....lovely! No let's build on this!!! Well done REDS!!!

Cronin has shown to be a competent and reliable player in this league. Not sure why he keeps getting left out.

nascarguy
05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
yeah so we can win at home, now we need to know how to win on the road

London
05-09-2010, 04:03 PM
so 15-0 at home and 0-15 on the road = 45 points

what a season that would be

sulfur
05-09-2010, 04:07 PM
45 points would've put us 2nd in the East last year.

nascarguy
05-09-2010, 04:17 PM
the team needs to know how to win on the road we are not going to win 15 time at home.

Pachuco
05-09-2010, 05:24 PM

YEAP! I have to say, atleast Preki has gone as far as benching Saric, Hscanovic and of course GARCIA!!!! They started one game too many for my liking (Garcia 4 too many) but I think we saw our best starting lineup yesterday.

Now, we DESPERATELY need a left footed player, if not two of them. We can't keep starting guys in LB who are out of position just because our only lefty sucks ass. That is where I'd be looking if I was Mo. LB and LW.

ManUtd4ever
05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I think the second half lineup was as good as it gets for TFC pending further changes to the roster. I am a Cronin supporter as well but I have to admit that Sanyang has outplayed both he and Saric when he's been healthy. It seems that there just might be reasonable depth on this club with the likes of Cronin, Hscanovics, Saric, Peterson, Harden, Gomez, and Conway being able to come off the bench with our best starting 11 on the pitch...

Azerban
05-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Now, we DESPERATELY need a left footed player, if not two of them. We can't keep starting guys in LB who are out of position just because our only lefty sucks ass. That is where I'd be looking if I was Mo. LB and LW.

nah

wrong footed players on the wing own (eg. Bayern Munich)

twistedchinaman
05-09-2010, 10:43 PM

That is an amazing. Restores my faith a little more. :)

Hooligan69
05-10-2010, 03:54 AM
I arrived at BMO a few minutes into the game and managed to buy a ticket from the box office. The man I was speaking with at the window sold me a ticket for $26 in the handicap section. Nice deal. Definitely not handicap though. LMAO :lol: Spent the game under the new stand to keep away from the wind, but it wasn't much help. :lol:

maninb
05-10-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm not too sure if we need a left footer at LB...Labrocca is a leftie and provides good defensive cover...IMO it's Gargan's spot to lose until he proves he can't handle it...Usanov still looks VERY dodgy at RB, the Fire left winger was killing him a lot of the time, thankfully his finishing was SHITE! When Harden gets back he provides decent cover at the back as well...now if we can just get Baptiste in here and see what he can do.....