PDA

View Full Version : Chad Barret is underpaid...

Troll
05-08-2010, 04:41 PM
and needs to be put on 'The Wall of Honour'

Discuss.

Cashcleaner
05-08-2010, 05:00 PM
What is his salary at?

And NO to the wall of honour part. :D

bimmer
05-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I think we've found our next DP.

DoubleUp
05-08-2010, 05:05 PM
I think its to early, but he certainly raised his level of play...which is refreshing. Congrats chad.

Shakes McQueen
05-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I think "Troll" is being facetious - though I don't know why. Chad played exceptionally today.

- Scott

Troll
05-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I think "Troll" is being facetious - though I don't know why. Chad played exceptionally today.

- Scott

Indeed, but I also agree with you. He gets so much shit, he undoubtedly deserves some credit for his play of late.

CretanBull
05-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I think its to early, but he certainly raised his level of play...which is refreshing. Congrats chad.

I don't think that he's raised his level of play at all really - I think that he's finally being rewarded for what he's been doing all along.

Shakes McQueen
05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I think Chad's play so far this season has been nothing short of amazing by MLS standards. He was cool as a cucumber on that breakaway goal.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't think that he's raised his level of play at all really - I think that he's finally being rewarded for what he's been doing all along.

I agree CB. It seems like he's starting to sort out his shooting anxiety too, judging by the quality of his shots and finishes.

And if he does, he really could be the American Rooney, haha.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Indeed, but I also agree with you. He gets so much shit, he undoubtedly deserves some credit for his play of late.

To be fair, he deserved a lot of that shit we gave him earlier on.

DoubleUp
05-08-2010, 05:14 PM

to me putting the ball in the back of the net at his salary, amount minutes....is a raise of play.

remember we brought him here to do what he did today on consistant or somewhat consistant basis.

justin
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
chad looks like a different player this season, he's showing more patience and confidence, and his movement off the ball is vastly improved. hope he can keep it up and have a breakout season, he deserves it.

Redcoe15
05-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I'll say this about the way Chad Barrett played today. Last year, he'd have NEVER scored those goals the way he did. If Barrett has indeed gotten over the mental hurdle then good things are in store for TFC.

justin
05-08-2010, 05:34 PM
when barrett got the breakaway, i instinctively thought he would fluff it, but he showed great composure and slotted it home the way a striker should. hope we see lots more of that this season.

TFC/Everton
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Chad will give you 100% on every match day. He might not have the talent of a Dero or a Donovan, but he gives it everything he has. Just the type of player Toronto fans love. On another note, watching the game you can see that Julian is a real leader. He is always telling the other guys where to be and calling the game like a General.
Best game of the year!!!

ensco
05-08-2010, 05:52 PM
For me, they guy who deserves a thread is OBW. Barrett buried a sitter, and had a nice finish in alone. It was great but only remarkable because of Chad's history...

Dub Narcotic
05-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Chad will give you 100% on every match day. He might not have the talent of a Dero or a Donovan, but he gives it everything he has. Just the type of player Toronto fans love. On another note, watching the game you can see that Julian is a real leader. He is always telling the other guys where to be and calling the game like a General.
Best game of the year!!!

I think Barret is very talented. He's the best winger TFC has, decent pace, good vision, and can pick some great passes. He's been involved in as many goals as DeRo this year, or it's very close.

Shakes McQueen
05-08-2010, 06:18 PM
For me, they guy who deserves a thread is OBW. Barrett buried a sitter, and had a nice finish in alone. It was great but only remarkable because of Chad's history...

You have to be in the right position at the right time to get those chances. Props to Obie Wan, but Barrett deserves huge ups as well.

- Scott

Belfast_Boy
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Chad Barrett = TFC ROONEY!!!
been hoping he'd score more and now he is.
this should be great for his confidence.
was talking to Jon-O and Domin8r before the game and this was one of the topics. we won't be needing the sports psychologist now.

supersaint
05-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Trust me, at this level Chad can perform, and he works his arse off. He is hard on himself when he screws up, as he should be, but he deserves some credit now, and cudos to Mo for signing him for an aging but still decent McBride, I think longterm we win that deal.

eustacchio
05-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I was/am happy to see Barrett net those goals.

Pachuco
05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
As I said last week. Barrett's Been one of our best players and consistent players this year. No to the wall of honour thing though. And he's not overpaid. He's finally earning his salary :).

Shakes McQueen
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
He also gets extra props for the knee slide after the second goal.

- Scott

bertal
05-08-2010, 08:19 PM

i agree, when white came on he changed the game. as long as barrett is getting fed with the ball the right way he will be scoring

Stryker
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
He also gets extra props for the knee slide after the second goal.

- Scott
The instant it happened I said to myself "that's my new avatar" lol.

werewolf
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
its only taken him 3 years (cant speak on his time in Chicago) to figure out how to finish on a breakaway and convert a sitter.

:flare:

Let's hope it lasts.

twistedchinaman
05-08-2010, 08:51 PM
its only taken him 3 years (cant speak on his time in Chicago) to figure out how to finish on a breakaway and convert a sitter.

:flare:

Let's hope it lasts.

For his sake...

Pachuco
05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
You know, I really wonder to myself what it is about Barrett that made him come out this year the way he has. I could've predicted he was going to have a game like this just based on the way he's been playing. Now, I'm the first guy to hate on Preki and his tactics, but maybe, just maybe Preki knows how to get the best out of a guy like Barrett. I'll be the first to give Preki credit if Barrett continues to play this way.

kitchener-TFC
05-08-2010, 09:27 PM
It was great to see Barrett finish, twice!

gtaguy
05-08-2010, 09:43 PM
are we not going over our heads.. a good game by his standards and now u want to bankroll the guy.. come on.. it's been a long time coming chad is a hard ass worker i don't disrespect that but he still owes this club a shit load more goals.. if he can put 11-15 in this year then hell ya. but to now hes paying back dues to this club.. 1 game he has has that is amazing and now you want to pay the dude more then hes worth.. Not to mention hes already on a guaranteed contract..

TFCRegina
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM

- Scott

I think he's just pointing out the mood swings this board goes through sometimes. We're collective wrist-slitters when we lose and we're going to win the MLS Cup when we win, every time...

koryo
05-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Hold on. It wasn't long ago that the "Chad Barrett is shit" thread was on here.

So, he scores a brace and is a hero all of a sudden?

Has it occurred to anyone that he was a valuable player for us all along?

I've said it from the start and will defend it vigorously: Chad Barrett is a good player. We do well to keep him in the team.

s2cazz
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM

I've said it from the start and will defend it vigorously: Chad Barrett is a good player. We do well to keep him in the team.

Agreed...Keep him on...winger...and get us a DP striker.

koryo
05-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Agreed...Keep him on...winger...and get us a DP striker.

Bang on. Barrett should always have been the guy who does all the work to set up our star poacher.

That's the player he is, and he's good at it.

sulfur
05-08-2010, 10:09 PM
That's what he did with Chicago, and he was stupid effective there doing that.

Brooker
05-08-2010, 10:17 PM

You're making too much sense. That has no place on this board.

CretanBull
05-08-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't think that Barrett crosses the ball well enough to be a winger, but I like the way his hustle tires out and pressures the fullback he's facing. I like him most as a support/2nd striker. Now that our team has some width the other teams defenders can't cheat to the middle like they did last season...there will be room in the middle and he'll get chances to score this year.

trane
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I will say that he did show a finishing touch on three shots, that he has rarely shown. I hope that he repeats it, but even when he has score in the past, alot of it seemed nervous and hurried not today.

But I have said, good winger, supporting striker. I hope he can develop into more, I have said that after two years he has not shown it, untill today, but one game a striker does not make. Even RR had a game with a couple of great strikes.

Boondaddy
05-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Still think it's Chady's year!! Well done today CB!!

ParadymeTFC
05-08-2010, 10:34 PM
He is TFC's version of Dirk Kyut, now if only we had a Torres.

habstfc
05-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm glad barrett scored both his goals, but let's face it both were pretty much can't miss opportunities. That in itself is progress I suppose, in the past he would have found some way to screw chances like that up. He probably would be working the tilt-a-whirl at the ex this summer if he managed to screw those chances up today. Enough of the negativity on my part. Good on ya chad!!!

ExiledRed
05-09-2010, 12:18 AM

No, he really has been genuinely terrible.

Today he played his role in the team, didnt try to do anything extraordinary, kept his head instead of running around like a chicken, found his angle, used his toe instead of trying too hard to be clever, and reaped the rewards. He should have been doing this already, but I dont want to take a thing away from him, he did good.

I'm much happier if he makes a habit of playing smart like this and continues to prove me wrong about him. Ill be delighted if i have to stop pointing out his paycheque, hot headedness, poor accuracy and poor decision making and I truly hope there are more occasions when his fans have ammunition to send me upleasant pms, question my football knowledge and give me 'i told you sos'

oh and knock it off, you know who you are.

jazzy
05-09-2010, 12:54 AM

credit due where credit is due, but his pay has been quite healthy since day 1, he has some bills to pay, yet.....

stugautz
05-09-2010, 06:35 AM
You know, I really wonder to myself what it is about Barrett that made him come out this year the way he has. I could've predicted he was going to have a game like this just based on the way he's been playing. Now, I'm the first guy to hate on Preki and his tactics, but maybe, just maybe Preki knows how to get the best out of a guy like Barrett. I'll be the first to give Preki credit if Barrett continues to play this way.

It seems that way. Preki's message is getting through to Chad.

TFC_4_Life
05-09-2010, 09:10 AM

I agree completely. In the media Preki has done nothing but give praise to Chad or give positive critisism. It is clear that Preki understands the mental games that strikers go threw and knows how to boost Chads confidence. Not to give Preki all the credit, it is clear that Chad is a work horse who puts in the effort and home work to improve.

And he is not overpaid. He makes over 200k. Compare his salary to other consistently dangerous strikers in MLS and you will see that he clearly is not overpaid.

Troll
05-09-2010, 09:37 AM
are we not going over our heads.. a good game by his standards and now u want to bankroll the guy.. come on.. it's been a long time coming chad is a hard ass worker i don't disrespect that but he still owes this club a shit load more goals.. if he can put 11-15 in this year then hell ya. but to now hes paying back dues to this club.. 1 game he has has that is amazing and now you want to pay the dude more then hes worth.. Not to mention hes already on a guaranteed contract..

SWOOOSH!!!!

Oldtimer
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Barrett has always had the skills at this level, that has been obvious. It was that "mental block" of his that kept him from scoring. Hopefully this is a start of a new Barrett.

ochos
05-09-2010, 10:48 AM

To be fair, he deserved a lot of that shit we gave him earlier on.

chad looks like a different player this season, he's showing more patience and confidence, and his movement off the ball is vastly improved. hope he can keep it up and have a breakout season, he deserves it.

I think Barret is very talented. He's the best winger TFC has, decent pace, good vision, and can pick some great passes. He's been involved in as many goals as DeRo this year, or it's very close.

Trust me, at this level Chad can perform, and he works his arse off. He is hard on himself when he screws up, as he should be, but he deserves some credit now, and cudos to Mo for signing him for an aging but still decent McBride, I think longterm we win that deal.

As I said last week. Barrett's Been one of our best players and consistent players this year. No to the wall of honour thing though. And he's not overpaid. He's finally earning his salary :).

I think he's just pointing out the mood swings this board goes through sometimes. We're collective wrist-slitters when we lose and we're going to win the MLS Cup when we win, every time...

I think these comments about sum it up.. I for one have always been supportive of Chad on the boards, even though I'll be the first one to give it to him if he muffs up in a game (and by give it to him I mean "fuckin' hell Chad c'mon!" as opposed to "you're houseleague get the hell outta this country" type negative stuff)

Anyway, since his arrival Chad has been the hardest working guy on the team (maybe next to Dero) and has certainly shown he can be a good winger, can link up with Dero, can pass the ball when he doesn't rush it, and generally does have a high potential for this league. He does not have anywhere close to the god-given talent that Rooney has, but not many strikers in the world do either..

If he can consistently put the ball in the back of the net, yet stay productive when he isn't, and deal with his confidence/funk issues when he's slummping, then we'll see the best year of Chad's short career. We still need a lethal, out-and-out striker, and a winger, and a proper CB (and WB's I guess) but we're playing hard, as a team, and it's finally nice to see that..

ExiledRed
05-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Barrett has always had the skills at this level, that has been obvious.

No it hasnt, and its still not certain. Playing as part of the team, linking up with a partner and scoring sitters is something every good forward should do, and 'mental blocks' shouldnt last two whole seasons.

I thought he did awesome yesterday, and I hope to see more intelligent, controlled play in the future, but he he's hardly vindicated himself and proved his detractors wrong. We've always known he was capable of scoring, but we've always known he's been inconsistent too. Its still not a given that he wont follow this up with a long drought. I hope he doesn't, nobody wants to see him scoring regularly for us more than I do.

Chad changed the way he approached the game yesterday, and benefitted from using his brain, dont pretend hes always been playing with those kind of smarts.

ensco
05-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Yesterday was nice. But Barrett has shown flashes like this before. I wouldn't really change my view on him until he proves he can get his strike rate up to a legitimate striker level over 10-15 league games.

grizzle
05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
and needs to be put on 'The Wall of Honour'

Discuss.

:picard::picard::picard:

supersaint
05-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Goal he scored against Montreal was not too shabby either, and trust me, you have to win my respect, I dont throw out accolades easily, but if everyone worked as hard as Chad does we will be ok. A couple more performances like that and I will even take back a lot of my criticism of Preki. Nothing like winning, unless you win and play good attractive football as well.

canadian_bhoy
05-09-2010, 07:31 PM
hmm...we make Ricky Vaughn comments about Chad and all of a sudden he starts scoring?

I think he got contact lenses.

He scored 2 goals in a good performance and 1 against a crap team from Montreal.

In the words of Harvey Keitel in Pulp Fiction "Let's not start sucking each others dicks yet".

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/sheen.jpg

Luca
05-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't understand how people can dislike Barrett. Sure, he might not score as many as we want him to, but the lad busts his ass game in and game out, and for that we should be thankful. His work rate is second to none and as long as he keeps his head up (something that Preki is working on), he'll start bagging a few more.

Long live our Rooney!

ginkster88
05-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Better title: Chad Barrett signed the contract he was offered.

What a ridiculous thread, OP isn't even trolling that well.

If we must, we need to find more players like Barrett, who will perform above their cap hit.

ExiledRed
05-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Better title: Chad Barrett signed the contract he was offered.

What a ridiculous thread, OP isn't even trolling that well.

If we must, we need to find more players like Barrett, who will perform above their cap hit.

Barrett's last two performances, are in line with his salary and good contract, not 'above the cap hit.'

Other than one or two good games in the previous two seasons, he's been a waste of money.

We've had plenty of players like that.

habstfc
05-09-2010, 10:39 PM
I agree with ensco. Last year in the S.J. game he scored two goals but was pretty much invisible the whole year. I hope he keeps it up but he has a long way to go before he loses the reputation he's earned the last couple of years as a non finisher.

Alonso
05-09-2010, 11:09 PM
]You know, I really wonder to myself what it is about Barrett that made him come out this year the way he has.[/b].
He hasn't, until this game, but it's great isn't it?

][/b] I could've predicted he was going to have a game like this just based on the way he's been playing.

No you couldn't have, just like none of us could have...

I was hoping he'd have a break out game, hopefully this keeps rolling for Barrett.

Oldtimer
05-10-2010, 07:09 AM
No you couldn't have, just like none of us could have...

I kept saying that if he could get over his mental issues, he'd be a good player. There was an issue with the "if," but there is no question to a lot of us that he has the skills and the work effort.

Let's hope its permanent. He seemed to have a lot of confidence in the post-game interview.

Dman81
05-12-2010, 11:24 AM
CHAD BARRETT

Uh Hah..

I wanna knoooow, when you learned to scoreeeee !!

J .
05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Ive always said I think he is a 10 goal scorer in this league and the great value in him is how his pace and worth ethic opens up space for our other players. When Preki first came here I said Barrett would be one of the players who are helped the most as Preki knows the strikers mentality and right his mind.

That said, he has to show more consistency. He is definately not a lone striker as he cannot really hold the ball up, he is a player that needs to be going forward to be effective. He is a player I think fans will get behind if he continues to bring his lunch pail to work and give it a full 90 minutes, getting the sitters and putting a few real nice goals in.

Either way at 25 he is a keeper of a player if his development continues, if nothing else he could become a great striker sub if we ever got a DP striker or would even be someone to pair with.

fetajr
05-12-2010, 01:03 PM
i don't like this thread...seeing how Anselmi and Mo look to this board for ideas and advice, Chad will now be getting a raise.

Cas87
05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Has someone mentioned that he is second all time in goals for TFC (tied with Danny Dichio)?

Just interesting note on the scoring ability of TFC over the last four years

razor787
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I sorta brought that up a while ago, he was 2 off at the time however. Dont think people realized he was that close to danny though :P

Aaaaaaaaaand, Barret hasnt even played as many games as danny had :P

scooter
05-12-2010, 04:35 PM
yes finally he gets a brace -- finally he is hitting the net
lets hope it keeps up
finally a player that didnt get traded only to star on another mls side when t.o. axes him we keep the faith and now he has developed
lets hope the team learns from this

Dunkers
05-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Of Chads 11 goals in a TFC Kit (Leauge games), he has had 3 braces. He deffinatly needs to bottle his confidence and spread it out. Still very nice to see him doing well currently.

Pachuco
05-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Brilliant touch by Barrett on the Dero goal today. I tell you, this is a different Barrett we have seen this year.

ManUtd4ever
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Barrett has definitely given the offence a boost since he returned to the lineup and has taken some of the pressure off of DeRo...

James17930
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, regardless of the amount, Chad's contract is 4 years guaranteed. Which means he'll actually get all the money in his contract, which makes him very well paid by MLS standards.

DreFuss
05-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm going to have to agree with the idea that we should wait and see before we start making bold statements about Barrett and his salary.

Please don't get me wrong, it must be said, I want to see Chad rip it up on the field as much as the next guy. He does have skill. We have all seen flashes of a great striker. Even though what I'm about to say next may appear to the contrary, Barrett had a great game.

However, what we saw tonight from the resulting goal was nothing out of the ordinary. Chad had a wonderful first touch, created space, took the shot and didn't bag it. Maybe the big difference is that he hit the net. I'm not saying it was the easiest shot. The goal would be something to celebrate if he netted it himself.

If we want to talk about giving any one more pesos it should be DeRo.

Stryker
05-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I think Chad's been getting lessons from JDG on dribbling.
The boy's been doing some nice moves with the ball at his feet of late.

sampace
05-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Is it too late to get him his Canadian Citizenship and have him become one of ours? I don't believe he has had any playing time with the U.S. team, he does have potential and having worked with De Rosario, De Guzman, Attakora and Cann would build much needed chemistry?

trane
05-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I do not expect the striker to put the ball in the net every time he takes a shot, whoever, I do expect that the striker buts the ball on target more often then not, and puts the ball were it CAN get in.

bertal
05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Is it too late to get him his Canadian Citizenship and have him become one of ours? I don't believe he has had any playing time with the U.S. team, he does have potential and having worked with De Rosario, De Guzman, Attakora and Cann would build much needed chemistry?

i read somewhere fifa scrapped that under 21 citizenship rule

Suds
05-13-2010, 12:03 PM

that's a big assumption that he would want to play for another country

Yohan
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Barrett is already capped by USMNT on a WCQ

Carefree
05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
As soon as he came into the game last night the whole "feel" of the game changed. While our attack had gone nowhere in the first half, suddenly there was a threat with Chad on the field because right now he is 10 feet tall. That's what we need from him.

Oldtimer
05-16-2010, 06:13 AM
Another solid showing for Chad against LA.

Shakes McQueen
05-16-2010, 06:25 AM
I may have to get Barrett's name and number on my next TFC jersey - my faith in the guy is being rewarded in spades this season. He has become a model of consistency, and hasn't played a bad game yet this year. Every single time we looked dangerous against Los Angeles, Barrett was directly involved or responsible.

And he and DeRo are developing quite the partnership. There were times last season where DeRo looked a little frustrated with Barrett, but this year they are dangerously in sync, and they feed off eachother. It's great to see.

- Scott

Sally Mack
05-16-2010, 06:07 PM
I may have to get Barrett's name and number on my next TFC jersey - my faith in the guy is being rewarded in spades this season. He has become a model of consistency, and hasn't played a bad game yet this year. Every single time we looked dangerous against Los Angeles, Barrett was directly involved or responsible.

i know that last year was supposed to be his big fitness transformation, but this year it looks like he REALLY has some wheels. Same strong work ethic, but MUCH quicker to the ball, and seemingly more powerful.