PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs. Bolton, July 21st - Confirmed

Pages : [1] 2

Mikey in SC
05-06-2010, 09:17 PM
The Charleston Battery are playing a friendly on July 17th against

middle-table EPL team with seven or eight players, including one U.S. team hopeful, that will compete in the World Cup in South Africa in June.

the article then goes on to say the team will play Charlotte and Toronto FC as well.
http://www.postandcourier.com/blogs/battery/?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&UID=74922233-55a1-4368-a727-5547c9c0d28d&plckPostId=Blog%3a74922233-55a1-4368-a727-5547c9c0d28dPost%3a8dda0bc9-6169-4a60-8629-c273c9b3920b&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

I've heard a solid rumor as to who it is. I'll keep them to myself for now but it shouldnt be too hard to figure out!

werewolf
05-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Everton.

Mikey in SC
05-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Everton.

there is another team

werewolf
05-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Aston Villa.

(been there done that, though they are quality).

Mikey in SC
05-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Aston Villa.

(been there done that, though they are quality).

just keep wandering announcement is a week away still!

Jeffro
05-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I'd be down for Fulham

cy43
05-06-2010, 09:31 PM
If anyone needs me... I am wandering for the next week

Keyman
05-06-2010, 09:37 PM
BOLTON ew

Jeffro
05-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Gotta love these "I know something you don't know" threads why start this thread if you're not going to share the news?

TFCRegina
05-06-2010, 09:39 PM
there is another team

Fulham.

Keyman
I'm pretty sure the hint was wandering, i.e. Bolton Wanderers

MrHawk
I heard that this (insert team here with a lot of players and good fans) are coming to play (insert footy club) and it's included/not included in their packages.

Bolton, that means Ivan Klasnic is coming.

YES!

werewolf
05-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I first thought of Fulham, since I am slightly fond of Dempsey and their European run, but I am not sure they have that many potential WC players. Bolton definitely doesn't.

ACSertL
05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I first thought of Fulham, since I am slightly fond of Dempsey and their European run, but I am not sure they have that many potential WC players. Bolton definitely doesn't.

This, however, puts us one step closer to Johan Elmander to TFC.

Now who's the crazy?? :)

Darlofletch
05-06-2010, 09:44 PM
wolves? do they have an american? would that be better or worse than bolton?

Keyman
True, didn't read that part. They have a couple of WC players but not an American from what I recall.

Edit
They actually do have Stuart Holden.

Mikey in SC
Gotta love these "I know something you don't know" threads why start this thread if you're not going to share the news?

because it fun! You wouldnt have gotten at least two corny jokes out of this thread if I had just came out an said it.

but really, as I said I have a solid rumor, nothing is firm until next weeks official announcement. I was told last week the front office was only waiting for the contract to come back from England signed.

Also guess I just dont want to jinx it. It might not seem like a big deal for TFC but I think I would quite enjoy the match up.

I wasnt trying to come off as a know it all, sorry if I did

Keyman
05-06-2010, 09:53 PM
I stick by my Bolton prediction. They have an American, they have potential WC players, and they are a mid-level English club. Done.

TFCtoMUFC
05-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Liverpool is mid-table, and owned by an American.:hump:

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-06-2010, 10:09 PM
7 or 8 wc hopefulls......guess it will be bringing its reserves

KezmanCCCC
05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
sounds to me like its fulham....

Keyman
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry for another post, but doesn't Bolton also have connections at the youth level in Ontario? I swear when I heard of talk about Everton involving itself in Canadian soccer, Bolton came up as well.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-06-2010, 10:13 PM
good to hear tfc have announced .....lol........or are they still figuring out ticket prices

Yagbod
05-06-2010, 11:11 PM
It blows my mind that any EPL team would play in Charleston. Isn't their 'stadium' more like a summer camp field? Or maybe a small university sized place?

Maybe the Wolves? (Everton is my real guess, but f**k! Charleston?!?)

James17930
05-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Bolton would make sense, but it would be really cool if it were Wolves and they made it a Carl Robinson testimonial match.

Though with him still playing or NYRB, I can see how that would be a problem.

Canary Canuck
05-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Could also be West Ham. They have Jonathan Spector

Broadview
05-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Wolves have Marcus Hahnemann on their team, though calling them mid-table might be a bit of a stretch.

Shakes McQueen
05-07-2010, 02:33 AM
I'd actually be interested to see how we stack up against a team like Bolton or Wolves in a match. I mean, obviously theres more than a 90% chance we would lose - but it would be intriguing.

Fulham would also be an interesting match for an MLS side, because of the style of game they play.

I'm glad we are going this route, instead of getting punted around by Man Utd or AC Milan for 90 minutes.

- Scott

Keystone FC
05-07-2010, 02:38 AM
It blows my mind that any EPL team would play in Charleston. Isn't their 'stadium' more like a summer camp field? Or maybe a small university sized place?

Maybe the Wolves? (Everton is my real guess, but f**k! Charleston?!?)
Nope, they have a NICE pitch and stadium. Not to mention the owner of the club has some ties to England and to a few clubs in the EPL as well. Not to mention these clubs are coming over here as a tune up for the next season and they also want it to be some kind of vacation as well. Charleston is the perfect place for this to happen. They have it all: A SSS, Southern hospitality, golfing, beaches, training pitch at CoC all to themselves...etc. It makes sense.

Mikey in SC
05-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Not to mention these clubs are coming over here as a tune up for the next season and they also want it to be some kind of vacation as well. Charleston is the perfect place for this to happen. They have it all: A SSS, Southern hospitality, golfing, beaches, training pitch at CoC all to themselves...etc. It makes sense.

I think the new term is "Team Bonding" vs. Vacation but Ill take it.

Charleston has been pretty succesful in drawing clubs, from the Carolina Challenge cup and MLS teams to Sunderland a few years ago to a couple Mexican and Caribbean teams.

TOBOR !
05-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Real Maryland ?

:picard:

Shakes McQueen
05-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Real Maryland ?

What? You've never met the King and Queen of Maryland?

- Scott

McBrace
05-07-2010, 07:11 AM
My guess is Fulham.. Bolton doesn't have 7 WC participants. Everton I believe has more...

Personally, I would rather watch Fulham over Bolton..

werewolf
05-07-2010, 07:11 AM
They live in the Crystal Palace of Baltimore.

TOBOR !
05-07-2010, 07:26 AM
I stick by my Bolton prediction. They have an American, they have potential WC players, and they are a mid-level English club. Done.

Having a tough time seeing many WC players on that roster. I'm inclined to go with Everton.

oxygenatedbrain
05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Everton is in Australia on those dates.

ManUtd4ever
05-07-2010, 08:32 AM
In any case, a friendly against an established EPL side will be a great draw and provide an electric atmosphere at BMO Field. I really enjoyed the friendly against Aston Villa in 2007. BMO Field was sold out, there were hundreds of Villa supporters in attendance, and it was actually a competitive, well played match...

drewski
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Duane thinks Fulham

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/05/rumour-tfc-v-fulham.html

Bloor West FC
05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Fulham is the word on the street.

SweetOwnGoal
05-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Everton.

...are in Sydney on July 17, so not likely.

Fulham has five internationals that will likely be in South Africa and two others that are borderline. I think it's got to be Fulham.

Fulham: Mark Schwarzer (AUS), John Paintsil (GHN), Dickson Etuhu (NGR), Clint Dempsey (USA), Kagisho Dikgacoi (RSA). - Borderline - Eddie Johnson (USA) and Pascal Zuberbuhler (SWI)

Broadview
Potential Europa League Champs, that would be kinda cool.

werewolf
Fulham only has five World Cup players.

Gixmo
05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't think it's Fulham, but I'm not saying why :)

werewolf
05-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Since its not Everton, it has to be Villa, or the initial post was misleading (though not Mikey's fault).

SweetOwnGoal
05-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Since its not Everton, it has to be Villa, or the initial post was misleading (though not Mikey's fault).

Villa ain't mid-table. Only a big four fan would argue otherwise.

The initial report could be misleading however. I asked the club, but I'm not holding my breath.

Keystone FC
05-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Real Maryland ?

At least the Monarchs (that's what they call themselves) have an affiliation to a Real soccer club:
Real Sporting de Gijón
http://www.realmaryland.us/html/affiliations-international.html

Unlike another Real soccer club who have a dirty hippy on their squad. Real Maryland also have a working agreement with the Colorado Rapids as well.

nfitz
05-07-2010, 09:09 AM
They live in the Crystal Palace of Baltimore.LOL!

Yohan
05-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Eddie Johnson plays for some Greek team now

SweetOwnGoal
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Eddie Johnson plays for some Greek team now

On loan from Fulham.

RE: Villa...they don't have anywhere near seven internationals at the WC. Even if you put both Young and Milner on England, they probably only have four players that have a chance (and that includes Guzan as the 3rd US keeper).

canucker
05-07-2010, 09:46 AM
HEY! What's wrong with Bolton?!! That's my team!!

Anyway, Holden is in line for a spot with the US team but he broke his leg awhile back and is hopeful to be playing on Saturday.

Cahill is a hopeful for England, Elmander for Sweden, Klasnic for Croatia, Weiss for Slovakia (technically he's on Man City's roster), Danny Shittu for Nigeria, Lee Chung-Yong for the Korean Republic.

So I guess we do have a handful of players. I'd love to see them come over here.

Brooker
05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
because it fun! You wouldnt have gotten at least two corny jokes out of this thread if I had just came out an said it.

but really, as I said I have a solid rumor, nothing is firm until next weeks official announcement. I was told last week the front office was only waiting for the contract to come back from England signed.

Also guess I just dont want to jinx it. It might not seem like a big deal for TFC but I think I would quite enjoy the match up.

I wasnt trying to come off as a know it all, sorry if I did

spit it out or don't bother.

STOKE!

werewolf
05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Downing, Milner, Heskey, Agbonlahor, Young, Friedel, Lowry, maybe Bouma.

Villa aren't at the top of the table, and they aren't at the bottom, what does that make them?

Pachuco
05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Ok, when Independiente was chosen as an opponent against TFC lots of people flipped out. I was actually quite happy that we were playing a very good South American team. Sooo..my turn to flip out :). Could care less about Bolton, Fullham, or even Everton. Other MLS teams are getting or have gotten the likes of Milan, Barcelona, ManU, etc. We of course, get stuck with a Bolton or a Fullham and their missing potentially 7 starters?

That's crap. I know you can't make everyone happy, so my turn to be unhappy.

drewski
05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
24thminute (http://twitter.com/24thminute)
Sorry...it's Bolton v TFC. But, don't blame me. Blame the reporter from Charleston that thinks Bolton has 7-8 players going to WC #tfc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc) #mls (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23mls)

canucker
05-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I really doubt its Bolton, I haven't heard anything. Plus Coyle has enough on his plate this summer rebuilding the team his way and he won't want the distraction of traveling away from home.

Edit: Just saw the post above. Its not like they are far off from 7-8 players going to the WC, they have 6! Why's everyone shit on Bolton for? Haters, all of you!:)

KRO
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
It sounds like Fulham but I don't think that any player that's been involved at the World Cup will be with the team in mid-July. So our free exhibition game this year is Fulham Reserves!

Don Julio
05-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Could see Dempsey making the American dates..

Toronto Gunner
05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
spit it out or don't bother.

STOKE!

Noooo! There's no way we could handle those damned Delap throw-ins!

v00d00daddy
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
If our friendly is Bolton....or Stoke...or any other team of that ilk...I'm not going, I'm not selling my ticket to anyone and I'm complaining to my ticket rep.

We watch shitty teams hoof the ball around week in and week out....It'd be nice to see our club play against a team that actually makes it enjoyable to watch.

I know some will find this kind of match enjoyable....but others won't....and we've already seen this match before.

It's time for a change....please and thank you.

H Bomb
05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
If its bolton ill be pissed. Usually the game has a specific cultural audience making the tickets easy to sell on. But no self respecting englishman would pay money to watch bolton play.

rocker
05-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't really care who it is. It's a friendly. The glow of friendlies with European teams doesn't mean anything to me anymore. in the old days, when we didn't have TFC, I went to Celtic-Roma and thought it was a big deal. Now when I hear of these things, I don't get excited anymore. i've lost the interest in the spectacle. I didn't even bother to go to Real Madrid (and price wasn't a factor) and I don't feel like I lost out on anything. I'm more interested in the Nutrilite game against Vancouver than any friendly. I'm more interested in league play. I want games that matter.

menefreghista
05-07-2010, 10:39 AM
My favourite part about this rumour is that we can only manage to get a team that is playing lowly teams like Charlotte and Charleston.

As for the teams being suggested, I don't really have a problem with it. Except that I think its might be a little early to be playing Aston Villa again.

What are people expecting for a game included in our season ticket package? As long as the opponent takes the game seriously and doesn't bring their youth/B-team I would be happy.

Pachuco
05-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't really care who it is. It's a friendly. The glow of friendlies with European teams doesn't mean anything to me anymore. in the old days, when we didn't have TFC, I went to Celtic-Roma and thought it was a big deal. Now when I hear of these things, I don't get excited anymore. i've lost the interest in the spectacle. I didn't even bother to go to Real Madrid (and price wasn't a factor) and I don't feel like I lost out on anything. I'm more interested in the Nutrilite game against Vancouver than any friendly. I'm more interested in league play. I want games that matter.

I'm sure MLSE is glad that you like to fork money over to them and ask for nothing in return. This isn't a discussion of whether someone would pay to go see a Bolton or a Real Madrid. This discussion is about being forced to pay to go see a Bolton.

H Bomb
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
This isn't a discussion of whether someone would pay to go see a Bolton or a Real Madrid. This discussion is about being forced to pay to go see a Bolton.

No it isnt... Its a rumour thread. But anyone is free to include dinosaur facts at their leisure.

pekduck
05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I think it's $35/ticket corner section (i.e. 111) and $30/ticket for supporter section (i.e. 112) for Union vs Manchester United, July 21st on a Wednesday.

Why do Sons of Ben gets a dedicated pre sales price online and all. Why do they have everything ready today? ;)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=174&pictureid=2401

Pachuco
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
No it isnt... Its a rumour thread. But anyone is free to include dinosaur facts at their leisure.

I don't get your point at all. My post was in directly reply to Rocker saying that he doesn't care who the friendly opponent is. My point is we should care, cause we've been forced to pay for that friendly.

Darlofletch
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I'd quite possibly go and see bolton play, so i guess I'm not a self respecting englishman.

owen Coyle's supposedly going to be getting them to play better football, but mainly, it won't be tfc getting absolutely hammered in front of a crowd of real/man u/whoever gloryhunters. there'd hopefully be some bolton fans there, but most people would probably be supporting TFC so it could be entertaining with a decent atmosphere, like when villa or west ham were here.

I'd rather not have mid season friendlies at all, but if we've got to, and we've got to pay for them, then this is a decent option for me.

v00d00daddy
05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I'd rather not have mid season friendlies at all, but if we've got to, and we've got to pay for them, then this is a decent option for me.

And here it is.....summed up nicely.

This (I would say) is the general sentiment amongst the TFC season seat holders....and the Front office knows it.

Just give them barely enough to keep the moderately happy.

If we're already paying for a match with our season seats you would think that we might expect a little more in return than Bolton.

And Darlo...this is not a specific shot at you but rather, an example of what I think a lot of people think....and part of the reason we don't get what we pay for.

Brooker
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
If our friendly is Bolton....or Stoke...or any other team of that ilk...I'm not going, I'm not selling my ticket to anyone and I'm complaining to my ticket rep.

if it were Stoke I'd be over the moon and I would be laughing at everrrrrrrrybody who was complaining. go on TFC, do it!

it'd be nice to see a team that never goes abroad to play bcuz maybe, just maybe they'd play their real team and actually try. *gasp*

pregame I would have a pint of your tears, voodoo. :yum:

canucker
05-07-2010, 12:11 PM
owen Coyle's supposedly going to be getting them to play better football

Finally!! Someone that speaks the truth. The days of the Sam Allardyce long ball are gone.

Owen Coyle favours a free-flowing, attack focus approach. Burnley played that way and were always fun to watch even if they weren't getting the results. So don't write Bolton off as a boring team to watch, that's just an ignorant and uninformed opinion.

I still don't think it'll be Bolton. It'll be Coyle's first summer in charge of the team and he has lots of work to do to bring in the right guys and drop the dead weight.

TFC07
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Ouch! A lowblow from TFC FO if this is true.

Funny thing was they said their phones were going crazy with teams calling them to play against TFC since BMO field got grass. So I am assuming it was some English shitty teams calling them not bigger teams like Man Utd who are going to be in Toronto play against Celtic in Rogers Centre.

You would think the way the season has been going so far and off field drama that TFC FO will make an effort to try reward its fans by getting a world class club to BMO field. :facepalm:

twistedchinaman
05-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm hoping it's Sunderland, but I'm not sure if they have any Americans. :(

Brooker
05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
You would think the way the season has been going so far and off field drama that TFC FO will make an effort to try reward its fans by getting a world class club to BMO field. :facepalm:

Most fans aren't exposed to the off the field drama. And after beating Philadelphia, Seattle, and Montreal at home, they have forgotten. ;)

I agree Bolton is a weird choice, but you got Real Madrid last year... this year you don't get what you wanted.

that's life for ya.

Red CB Toronto
05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
I would love to see Millwall, the New Den was one of the most interesting stadiums I have been to a game at.

Toronto Gunner
05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't get the bitching here, I'm happy to see Notlob playing TFC. I'd rather see how our A team compares to their B team than to see us get routed by a top of the table team. Anybody that thinks that Arsenal's reserves, or even youth team, couldn't annihilate Toronto are sorely mistaken.

That said, I would looooove to see Walcott's pace against our team, it would be RIDICULOUS!!

Don Julio
05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Out of the entire Premier League and CCC I the only teams I am less interested to see than Bolton are:

Wigan
Bristol City
Watford
Plymouth
Peterborough
and maybe Leicester

v00d00daddy
05-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Most fans aren't exposed to the off the field drama. And after beating Philadelphia, Seattle, and Montreal at home, they have forgotten. ;)

I agree Bolton is a weird choice, but you got Real Madrid last year... this year you don't get what you wanted.

that's life for ya.

yeah but we paid 150 bucks to see real last year.

v00d00daddy
05-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Guys...this is a friendly....it's an exhibition where you go to watch the teams play but not try to kill or embarrass each other. I'm not interested in seeing how TFC stack up against Bolton or Burnley or Birmingham.

What does that matter?

The only reason they peddle these crappy teams to us is because we eat it up and ask for more.

How about Tenerife or Malaga?
Maybe Atalanta or Catania?

Would you guys want to see them play TFC?

I know I don't. Why? Because there are many better teams, with many better players that the TFC FO COULD be getting for us.

Instead we remain happy with mediocrity.

Sometimes I think it should be the motto for this club

Brooker
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
you're only setting yourself up for disappointment if you let TFC decide which foreign teams you get to see live.

take matters into your own hands. :)

Mikey
05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Take what scraps they throw you for free, or pony up $125 to see a "real" team if they pull a bait and switch.

Them's your options, suck it up.

Yeoman
05-07-2010, 03:13 PM
what if this is our carlsberg cup team though?
i don't think i've seen that in here yet

Section 117
05-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I rather spend the money and see a quality team then some at best average team from the Premiership....

Really, we have seen West Ham and Aston Villa enough with the Premiership unless they bring a top 4 team.

Derko
05-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Out of the entire Premier League and CCC I the only teams I am less interested to see than Bolton are:

Wigan
Bristol City
Watford
Plymouth
Peterborough
and maybe Leicester

Well I am happy that you didn't have Blackpool in that list, or I would have had to mince words!lol :drinking:

menefreghista
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I actually wish they would simply remove the friendly from the season ticket package. If you want to host friendlies, have them paid for separately and fans can decide on their own if it has value for them.

The only crappy thing is that because of the greedy bastards at MLSE/TFC you know they would never pass on the savings to the season ticket holder.

Don Julio
05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
There are how many clubs in Europe? How many in South America?

How do you arrive at Bolton?!

I just don't get it.

Question though: I assume players on loan are returned before these summer tours? i.e. No Vladi Weiss?

Yeoman
05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I actually wish they would simply remove the friendly from the season ticket package. If you want to host friendlies, have them paid for separately and fans can decide on their own if it has value for them.

The only crappy thing is that because of the greedy bastards at MLSE/TFC you know they would never pass on the savings to the season ticket holder.

so let me get this straight
you don't want friendlies to be a part of the seasons
YET you want savings IF there is a game?
uhhhhhh..........:rolleyes:

Darlofletch
05-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I think he wants a cheaper season ticket, as opposed to....

Hey we froze season ticket prices for 2011 as a loyalty gesture for our amazing fans!!!! but you don't get a friendly game any more.

which is probably how mlse would do it if they no longer include the friendly.

menefreghista
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
so let me get this straight
you don't want friendlies to be a part of the seasons
YET you want savings IF there is a game?
uhhhhhh..........:rolleyes:

You misunderstood my post.

I want the friendly removed from my season ticket package, with the savings passed on to me.

Ex. If this season I didn't have to pay for the included friendly I would pay $300 for my south end ticket as opposed to $322.

Get it?

And then when they want to have friendlies, I can decide on my own whether its worth it to go.

I think he wants a cheaper season ticket, as opposed to....

Hey we froze season ticket prices for 2011 as a loyalty gesture for our amazing fans!!!! but you don't get a friendly game any more.

which is probably how mlse would do it if they no longer include the friendly.

Exactly what I was thinking.

jazzy
05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Guys...this is a friendly....it's an exhibition where you go to watch the teams play but not try to kill or embarrass each other. I'm not interested in seeing how TFC stack up against Bolton or Burnley or Birmingham.

What does that matter?

The only reason they peddle these crappy teams to us is because we eat it up and ask for more.

How about Tenerife or Malaga?
Maybe Atalanta or Catania?

Would you guys want to see them play TFC?

I know I don't. Why? Because there are many better teams, with many better players that the TFC FO COULD be getting for us.

Instead we remain happy with mediocrity.

Sometimes I think it should be the motto for this club

Just wait until TFC isn't the garaunteed money maker........

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Might be in the minority, I'm still just excited to see TFC play anyone. I'd pay (not too much mind you) to watch them play a CSL team. Any Premier League team would be great. Like everyone else, I have my preferences, but if my team's playing, I'm excited to watch.

zamperina
05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I have seasons in the dark grey's and the Carlsberg match is $240 for the pair! My buddy buys up most of my season's, thus I give him a deal on the game just because of his loyalty...Who in there right minds would pay that amount while the FO delivers us Bolton? Gimme a break MLSE!!!!

Jeffro
05-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Oh god,
I hear it is Bolton.....

Jeffro
05-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Doesn't necessarily mean it's for the carlsberg cup though if true.....

nfitz
05-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Doesn't necessarily mean it's for the carlsberg cup though if true.....Do you think there's a chance they might be able to sell 20,000 tickets for a friendly with Bolton outside of the Carlsberg Cup where 18,000 are pre-sold?

menefreghista
05-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Do you think there's a chance they might be able to sell 20,000 tickets for a friendly with Bolton outside of the Carlsberg Cup where 18,000 are pre-sold?

Agreed. This has to be the Carlsberg Cup game if true.

For sure this won't be a sell out. As no one in their right mind is going to shell out $50-200 that the non package holders have to pay for the remaining available seats.

werewolf
05-08-2010, 09:45 AM
They could easily sell 20,000 tickets for a Bolton match-up, if the prices were on-par with the rest of the teams of the league and relative to the caliber of opponent. Both Chicago vs. Milan, and NY v. Juve have tickets starting at $30, with the max $95-$150 (respectively), those opponents are superior to Bolton, and those prices are similar to our regular league game prices.

menefreghista
05-08-2010, 09:46 AM
They could easily sell 20,000 tickets for a Bolton match-up, if the prices were on-par with the rest of the teams of the league and relative to the caliber of opponent. Both Chicago vs. Milan, and NY v. Juve have tickets starting at $30, with the max $95-$150 (respectively), those opponents are superior to Bolton, and those prices are similar to our regular league game prices.

I think you would have to sell tickets in the $20-$50 range to sell out a match against Bolton in this city.

werewolf
05-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I think you would have to sell tickets in the $20-$50 range to sell out a match against Bolton in this city.

Agreed. That's what I am trying to get at. If people in Chicago can pay $30-$40 to see one of the top teams in European history, I can't see people in Toronto paying $50+ to see Bolton....

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-10-2010, 07:26 AM
BOLTON ew

bite your tongue! your dreary eyes should be so lucky to see davies, taylor, klass, elmander and the mighty jassky!!!!

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-10-2010, 07:30 AM
wolves? do they have an american? would that be better or worse than bolton?

really? do you need to ask this?
bolton >>>>>>>>>>>> wolves. i mean, they're basically a rugby team playing in the epl. do you need any more evidence than what davies did to zhirkov's skull?

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-10-2010, 07:33 AM
HEY! What's wrong with Bolton?!! That's my team!!

Anyway, Holden is in line for a spot with the US team but he broke his leg awhile back and is hopeful to be playing on Saturday.

Cahill is a hopeful for England, Elmander for Sweden, Klasnic for Croatia, Weiss for Slovakia (technically he's on Man City's roster), Danny Shittu for Nigeria, Lee Chung-Yong for the Korean Republic.

So I guess we do have a handful of players. I'd love to see them come over here.

dude, where have you been hiding???? 3 buddies of mine are huge wanderer fans and im a big bolton sympathizer right here....wear that trotter proud loudly!!! i didnt know there was even one on these boards

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-10-2010, 07:35 AM
If its bolton ill be pissed. Usually the game has a specific cultural audience making the tickets easy to sell on. But no self respecting englishman would pay money to watch bolton play.

hey........HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEY!!!!!!

you owe me beer!!!!!!!!!!

and whilst im drinking beer you buy me, ill make damn sure your self respect will be out the proverbial window when im wearing a jay jay okocha jersey :D :D :D

SuperTCP
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I rather spend the money and see a quality team then some at best average team from the Premiership....

Really, we have seen West Ham and Aston Villa enough with the Premiership unless they bring a top 4 team.

My thoughts exactly! Bring some other league teams in. German League, Seria A, etc.

werewolf
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Confirmed.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/bolton-wanderers-fc-play-carlsberg-cup (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05/bolton-wanderers-fc-play-carlsberg-cup)

Good job Mikey, you should have a blog. :lol:

Wagner
05-11-2010, 11:00 AM
14th place in a 20 team league.
it's always fun to see TFC play someone new.
but the lustre seems to be gone for the Carlsberg cup.
Can't we draw better?
I thought the grass would bring big time opponents?

Don Julio
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
(re-post from news thread)

Nice try:

Bolton, a borough of Greater Manchester, England is currently the club with the highest number of seasons in the top flight; this past season was their 71st.I think you mean "the highest number of seasons in the top flight whilst winning fuck all!"

Hell, Arsenal's been in 85 in a row.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I thought PB said that teams were lining up to play TFC now that grass was installed.

BFin
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I thought PB said that teams were lining up to play TFC now that grass was installed.

He meant USL teams.

sidvan
05-11-2010, 11:07 AM
2010 Carlsberg Cup
Toronto FC vs. Bolton Wanderers at BMO Field
Wednesday, July 21 at 7:30 p.m.

eagles8
05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
I am truly whelmed. Neither over nor under.

Suds
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Can't we draw better?

It comes down to appearance fees. The Barcas, Inters, ManU's, etc. of the world will demand much higher fees.

Add the fact MLSE knows they could sell tickets to games separately for those types of teams and we will never see a major club as the Carlsburg Cup game. The Carsburg Cup will always be the smaller clubs from around the world. It is what it is. I don't have an issue with seeing Bolton; but I'm not exactly stoked about it either.

I'd like to see some teams from Germany, France, etc., be lined up for this game if possible. I've never had the chance to see any teams from those leagues.

Eastend

Bolton was first in line....they think they have a chance...

Fort York Redcoat
All who are going-enjoy.

Yagbod
05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
At least it is an EPL team, but really: Bolton???

Technorgasm
05-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Bolton is going to be AWESOME. . (especially for some local fans here)

. . . . when they lose.

GBV
05-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I heard that this (insert team here with a lot of players and good fans) are coming to play (insert footy club) and it's included/not included in their packages.

Bolton, that means Ivan Klasnic is coming.

YES!

I think he was just on loan for this season.
I read they would like to keep him, so not sure where that leaves things.

bgnewf
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Snobs!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D (taking the piss)

it is a premiership side we would likely never have the chance to see.

Lets collectively get over our sense of entitlement here and enjoy the friendly when it happens for what it is.

rocker
05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I imagine Bolton is saying, "bloody hell, we have to play Toronto FC??? arggh.. Why not the LA Galaxy????"

Whoop
05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
But Tim - even though I'm not a big fan of midseason friendlies - wasn't one of the appeals of getting grass that TFC could attract better teams for friendlies?

Carts
05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Bolton...

Its another Euro team (premiership no less) to add to my list of seeing live...

I'm sure people will bitch and moan that its not one of Europe's marquee top clubs - and if it was one of them, they'd bitch the prices are too high...

So they'll bitch either way...

Carts...

razor787
05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
I love the fact that we are getting Bolton. A Premier league team, that will bring the game, but at the same time, wont be killing us 8-0. Will be an interisting game to watch, and out of the EPL teams, if we were going to beat any, Bolton is one of those teams.

Should be a fun night, of great football.

Globetrotter
05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Looks like I have some tickets to sell. Sigh.

Fort York Redcoat
Snobs!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D (taking the piss)

it is a premiership side we would likely never have the chance to see.

Lets collectively get over our sense of entitlement here and enjoy the friendly when it happens for what it is.

A useless midseason friendly?

Suds
But Tim - even though I'm not a big fan of midseason friendlies - wasn't one of the appeals of getting grass that TFC could attract better teams for friendlies?

You're right. That's the line we were given from TFC.

I'll go to the game and enjoy it for what it is. Probably never have the chance to see Bolton live again. But I can understand why people question the team we are seeing when we hear of all the big clubs playing other teams.

Suds
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Looks like I have some tickets to sell. Sigh.

hahaha ... good luck with that!

tfcleeds
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
PLEASE where I can get tickets for this game? Owen Coyle is god.

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-11-2010, 11:33 AM
(re-post from news thread)

Nice try:

I think you mean "the highest number of seasons in the top flight whilst winning fuck all!"

Hell, Arsenal's been in 85 in a row.

that's wrong. bolton have been down a few times since the mid 90's.

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Bolton is going to be AWESOME. . (especially for some local fans here)

. . . . when they lose.

a bunch of my buddies are through the roof.....you'll see at least 4 or so okocha, jassky and davies jerseys. maybe even stelios or campo.

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
^hahahaha. That's telling him bud!!!!

Have fun N!!!

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-11-2010, 11:38 AM
oh pete, i surely shall bud! :D when can a footy fan anywhere outside of bolton go to a game with his fellow trotter-supporter friends and watch them have a hoot seeing their team? (who no one else supports - i honestly think my buddy has the only campo bolton jersey in the city).

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
and H-Bomb, when you read this, before posting your snarky 'any self respecting brit' comments......remember, a pitcher of IMPORT, not domestic, IMPORT! im getting the most out of your anti-bolton rhetoric ;)

rdroze
05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
that's wrong. bolton have been down a few times since the mid 90's.
That's hilarious. Somebody forgot to read the whole sentence when plagiarizing Wikipedia:

"Bolton have spent the highest number of seasons in the top flight without winning the title (the 2009–10 season was their 71st in the top flight)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Wanderers_F.C.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
You're right. That's the line we were given from TFC.

I'll go to the game and enjoy it for what it is. Probably never have the chance to see Bolton live again. But I can understand why people question the team we are seeing when we hear of all the big clubs playing other teams.

I understand the idea that bigger teams mean bigger appearance fees... but again, the line given to us was that grass = better friendlies.

But since SSH's are paying for it already, they probably from a lower appearance fee point.

Sure Bolton is a European team, but how many people in Toronto are Bolton supporters? If they wanted an English team, why not go after a team like Newcastle?

Point being, we were told teams were "lining up" and we get Bolton? I'm sure they could have got a "bigger" club. I'm not talking gigantic, but a club with more cache.

Red CB Toronto
The reality is that we are getting clubs like this, Bolton, River Plate etc because the Reds have 16,000 season ticket holders in 21,000 seat stadium.

They give us this game in our STH package, which I consider free because of the huge discount we get on our tickets, so it really makes no sense for them to bring in a high profile pricey club when they really only have 5,000 tickets to sell to make money.

Chicago on the otherhand, who is giving there STHs tickets to the AC Milan game, will have 17,000 + tickets to sell because from my understanding they only have 2,500 season tickets sold.

It is just a matter of economics, but then again the prices for the AC Milan game are no where near what ML$E charged for the Real Madrid game last year, so who knows.

nobodybeatsthewiz
That's hilarious. Somebody forgot to read the whole sentence when plagiarizing Wikipedia:

"Bolton have spent the highest number of seasons in the top flight without winning the title (the 2009–10 season was their 71st in the top flight)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Wanderers_F.C.

i stand corrected :)

and i dont need to plagiarize wikipedia - surprisingly i know more than i should about bolton without points of reference ;)

Belfast_Boy
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
are these tickets going to cost less than a regular game?

razor787
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Everyone here is spoiled. There are no other leagues in canada where the sports teams can/would bring in another team for a friendly match. If they wanted, MLSE could just sit on their hands, and not sign a team to come, and put a team on the field thats as good as the Maple Leafs, and just sit there happy bringing in the money each season.

It looks like they care about TFC, and they want to get it successful. They let us spend money on a DP. They gave us the grass we want. They brought in Real Madrid (letting us see, first hand, the galacticos before their season started) and they are bringing in Bolton this year.

This year has the World cup. Teams are already losing players to that, and it wouldnt make sence to play them in meaningless friendlies, which could possibly injure them, when they are already fatigued from not getting a propper off season.

Nobody is realizing the great things that have been happening with this club, and keep complaining about how the special treats that we are getting, arent good enough.

Just be thankful that you are getting the friendlies, and dont go if you dont want to see the team.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 11:47 AM
The reality is that we are getting clubs like this, Bolton, River Plate etc because the Reds have 16,000 season ticket holders in 21,000 seat stadium.

They give us this game in our STH package, which I consider free because of the huge discount we get on our tickets, so it really makes no sense for them to bring in a high profile pricey club when they really only have 5,000 tickets to sell to make money.

Chicago on the otherhand, who is giving there STHs tickets to the AC Milan game, will have 17,000 + tickets to sell because from my understanding they only have 2,500 season tickets sold.

It is just a matter of economics, but then again the prices for the AC Milan game are no where near what ML$E charged for the Real Madrid game last year, so who knows.

River Plate > Bolton

Either way - even though I hate midseason friendlies - if you're going to bring substandard teams in relation to the rest of the MLS - don't bother.

I'd rather take another discount on the rest of my tickets, then having to "pay" for a friendly.

I always thought the midseason friendly was a reward for SSHs?

Whoop
05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Everyone here is spoiled. There are no other leagues in canada where the sports teams can/would bring in another team for a friendly match. If they wanted, MLSE could just sit on their hands, and not sign a team to come, and put a team on the field thats as good as the Maple Leafs, and just sit there happy bringing in the money each season.

It looks like they care about TFC, and they want to get it successful. They let us spend money on a DP. They gave us the grass we want. They brought in Real Madrid (letting us see, first hand, the galacticos before their season started) and they are bringing in Bolton this year.

This year has the World cup. Teams are already losing players to that, and it wouldnt make sence to play them in meaningless friendlies, which could possibly injure them, when they are already fatigued from not getting a propper off season.

Nobody is realizing the great things that have been happening with this club, and keep complaining about how the special treats that we are getting, arent good enough.

Just be thankful that you are getting the friendlies, and dont go if you dont want to see the team.

My point is don't give me a midseason friendly. I'd rather take a further discount on my season tickets.

BUT if you are going to do a midseason friendly... they can do better.

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
^^I won't. And BTW I'd love to see Dynamo Moskov play the Leafs...

Roogsy
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I bet I am going to have a hard time even giving my tickets away to this one.

Roogsy
05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
My point is don't give me a midseason friendly. I'd rather take a further discount on my season tickets.

BUT if you are going to do a midseason friendly... they can do better.

Word...

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
What do wanna bet? I'll bet you my ticket you don't...

nfitz
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
are these tickets going to cost less than a regular game?

Pricing has been on the TFC website since 2009. $52 yellow, $56 light-grey - http://www.torontofc.ca/single-game-tickets

A mid-table team from the highest ranked league in the world. And still there's people complaining!

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2010, 11:55 AM
^I'm complaining about your spelling...

and what else are forums for?:D

Belfast_Boy
countdown to the "I'll pay you to take my Bolton ticket thread" in 5, 4, 3, ...........

Whoop
I bet I am going to have a hard time even giving my tickets away to this one.

Yup... that's why I will be going. LOL

twistedchinaman
05-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Honestly, in a make-or-break season like this, the less friendlies we have to put our players through, the better. Because right now we are sure of 30 games (plus up to 5 playoff matches if we qualify), 4 NCC matches (and up to 8 more if we get to the CCL group stages), 1 friendly...that's a lot of matches.

35 matches, plus up to 13 more matches dependent on other results. 48 matches in a short span of a season -- that's a hell of a lot, and as we've seen before, puts players through quite the ringer.

As much as we are having penis envy over the other teams and their AC Milan and Man U matches, they are tiring themselves out in a World Cup year -- we have one match, fine. Perhaps next year we can go for a bigger team, just not this year.

Belfast_Boy
05-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Pricing has been on the TFC website since 2009. $52 yellow, $56 light-grey - http://www.torontofc.ca/single-game-tickets

A mid-table team from the highest ranked lead in the world. And still there's people complaining!

I'm just taking the piss...
I heard next year we're getting Notts County!

Whoop
05-11-2010, 12:02 PM

A mid-table team from the highest ranked lead in the world. And still there's people complaining!

Carlsberg Cup ticket prices - even took out the club ticket prices
Dark Grey - $120
Light Blue - $80
Medium Grey - $80
Light Grey - $56
Yellow - $52

So...

1) SSH have already paid say somewhere between $40 to $100 for this ticket as it is included in our package. Seeing that I have a cheaper pair... you know what give me the $80 discount on my SSH package instead of giving me this useless friendly.

2) I'll exclude teams that are playing in American football stadiums so I'll use Chicago as an example. AC Milan is playing Chicago at Toyota Park, similar size stadium and tickets are the same if not cheaper.

3) These prices are rip off already as it is.

Hell, I just paid $35/ticket to get tickets for Benfica AND Panathinaikos. That's two appearance fees there for the promoter, no? Sure the squads will be greatly reduced due to WC, but while I love TFC wouldn't that mean, if the promoter (MLSE) is only paying one appearance fee and 15,000 tickets are sold already... couldn't they get a better team than Bolton?

TFC Cityboy
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I bet the boys that run the pie stand on the NE corner are happy the Bolton boys will be in town
:)

Whoop
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Honestly, in a make-or-break season like this, the less friendlies we have to put our players through, the better. Because right now we are sure of 30 games (plus up to 5 playoff matches if we qualify), 4 NCC matches (and up to 8 more if we get to the CCL group stages), 1 friendly...that's a lot of matches.

35 matches, plus up to 13 more matches dependent on other results. 48 matches in a short span of a season -- that's a hell of a lot, and as we've seen before, puts players through quite the ringer.

As much as we are having penis envy over the other teams and their AC Milan and Man U matches, they are tiring themselves out in a World Cup year -- we have one match, fine. Perhaps next year we can go for a bigger team, just not this year.

My point is...

I don't like mid-season friendlies... but if you're going to force to pay for one... you can do better than Bolton.

Keyman
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Damn I'm good at predicting.

James17930
05-11-2010, 12:09 PM
My point is...

I don't like mid-season friendlies... but if you're going to force to pay for one... you can do better than Bolton.

But you know, this is a team I actually want to see TFC beat. Can't stand them for some reason.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Can't we draw better?

Of course we can.....BUT that game will be at a Big time COSt!

This will be the Carlsberg cup!

This is what you get for being a loyal ticket season holders!!

IMPACT get AC MILAN! hahahahaha

:drinking:

DangerRed
05-11-2010, 12:30 PM
That's too bad. Friendlies are OK, but ... Bolton? Come on.

Yawn.

Darlofletch
05-11-2010, 12:32 PM
I love the fact that we are getting Bolton. A Premier league team, that will bring the game, but at the same time, wont be killing us 8-0. Will be an interisting game to watch, and out of the EPL teams, if we were going to beat any, Bolton is one of those teams.

Should be a fun night, of great football.

While i wouldn't go as far as to say i love it, this pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Bolton in pre season, we could well beat. Should be a competitive game, and especially if we go ahead, even in preseason, bolton won't want to lose to an mls team, so they'll be up for it as well.

Not sure I'd actively go out and buy a ticket (though i have paid money to see bolton 4 times previously, and they've been some damn entertaining matches), but i don't mind that this is what we get. Much rather this than see us get killed by a big team that isn't even really trying that hard, in front of a crowd that's mainly cheering for the opposition and doesn't give two shits about TFC

Boris
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
lol this thread is a funny one....
i need the laugh today

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
man... you can't win for losing around here.

a huge club means more $$$, which is a bad thing.
a small club means people don't care, which is a bad thing.
a mid level club from Latin America means the Brits don't care, which is a bad thing.
a mid level club from the UK (like Bolton) means only a sellect few Brits will care. Again, bad.

If we're going to have a mid season friendly (which is probably the norm, because many people like it)
then at least it's not costing us extra money, or putting us at risk of having more of their fans
at BMO than our guys (like the RM game).

hell... people cried 'I want an EPL opponent for the friendly' and now that we have one, they aren't happy.

man... you can't win for losing.

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
and I wont be happy with anyone but Marseille.

zamperina
05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Carlsberg Cup ticket prices - even took out the club ticket prices
Dark Grey - $120
Light Blue - $80
Medium Grey - $80
Light Grey - $56
Yellow - $52

So...

1) SSH have already paid say somewhere between $40 to $100 for this ticket as it is included in our package. Seeing that I have a cheaper pair... you know what give me the $80 discount on my SSH package instead of giving me this useless friendly.

2) I'll exclude teams that are playing in American football stadiums so I'll use Chicago as an example. AC Milan is playing Chicago at Toyota Park, similar size stadium and tickets are the same if not cheaper.

3) These prices are rip off already as it is.

Hell, I just paid $35/ticket to get tickets for Benfica AND Panathinaikos. That's two appearance fees there for the promoter, no? Sure the squads will be greatly reduced due to WC, but while I love TFC wouldn't that mean, if the promoter (MLSE) is only paying one appearance fee and 15,000 tickets are sold already... couldn't they get a better team than Bolton?

Yup my pair in the Dark Greys comes out to $240. Tell me anyone willing to pay that much to see Bolton????????

bgnewf
05-11-2010, 12:40 PM

a mid level club from Latin America means the Brits don't care, which is a bad thing.
a mid level club from the UK (like Bolton) means only a sellect few Brits will care. Again, bad.

If we're going to have a mid season friendly (which is probably the norm, because many people like it)
then at least it's not costing us extra money, or putting us at risk of having more of their fans

hell... people cried 'I want an EPL opponent for the friendly' and now that we have one, they aren't happy.

+1

Very well put. It is what it is. I had as much fun at the friendly games as i have had at league and Cup games and this one will be no exception.

The fact that we actually have a chance to win the game makes it even better.:scarf:

Carts
05-11-2010, 12:42 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again - some people on this board could win $2-million in Lotto 649 and say "...what the f*ck, why didn't I win $2.5-million..."

I had no interest in Independiente (sp?) or Pachuco or Benfica - but some did... So did I bitch and moan - no...

I'm looking forward to seeing an EPL team...

Next year, it'll probably someone from another league...

People like to bitch, to hear themselves bitch...

Carts...

sulfur
05-11-2010, 12:42 PM
and I wont be happy with anyone but Marseille.
You wouldn't even be happy then, since you'd have to pay extra, overtop of your season ticket. :)

And to those that say that they'd be happy without the midseason friendly (because be honest, they aren't going away) included in their ticket price? Be honest. If a friendly was offered up, you'd bitch to high heaven that it wasn't included. And if the team was decent enough, there would be more bitching due to the cost.

Workie
05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
lol this thread is a funny one....
i need the laugh today

Your just in a snit cuz you don't look good with a moustache. :D

Well once all this settles and the usual suspects move on to their next "sky is falling" episode, I'll be going to see Bolton or who ever it is.

:scarf:

Whoop
05-11-2010, 12:46 PM

We've already paid for the tickets! So how can they charge us more.

A bigger club means less $$$ to MLSE because they are paying for the appearance fee. Bolton, slightly reduced appearance fee... more money for MLSE.

You know one way to make the most people happy. Don't schedule midseason friendly matches!

But my point is IF you are going to do have one you can do better than Bolton FFS.

Like I said I will be there to cheer on TFC but realistically a full Bolton squad would still beat TFC hands down so regardless of whoever they bring in would beat TFC. I'm not deluded.

Point is if you're going to bring me Bolton... can I get a refund on my Carlsberg Cup ticket?

The other point was that we were lead to believe that now we could attract a better quality opponent... but in fact it's gotten worse.

And it's not a Brit vs non-Brit thing.

Hell, even most of the Brits on the board aren't happy. LOL

Red CB Toronto
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I was just hoping it would be Millwall, to bring the Lions to BMO would be great.

I paid $20.06 for my ticket through my season seat package, since all I do to get the price is devide what I paid by the number of games, which is 18. So $361 devided by 18 is 20.06, which is not all that bad.

So it is crazy for them to put $56.00 on a ticket that I paid $20.06 for, so if STHs want to get rid of your tickets, charge them the real price, the price of your season ticket devided by 18.

Pachuco
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
We've already paid for the tickets! So how can they charge us more.

A bigger club means less $$$ to MLSE because they are paying for the appearance fee. Bolton, slightly reduced appearance fee... more money for MLSE.

You know one way to make the most people happy. Don't schedule midseason friendly matches!

But my point is IF you are going to do have one you can do better than Bolton FFS.

Like I said I will be there to cheer on TFC but realistically a full Bolton squad would still beat TFC hands down so regardless of whoever they bring in would beat TFC. I'm not deluded.

Point is if you're going to bring me Bolton... can I get a refund on my Carlsberg Cup ticket?

The other point was that we were lead to believe that now we could attract a better quality opponent... but in fact it's gotten worse.

And it's not a Brit vs non-Brit thing.

Hell, even most of the Brits on the board aren't happy. LOL

This man speaks the truth!

Fuck off with the useless mid-season friendlies. I barely have an interest in going although I always go.

To anyone who says these tickets are free is dillusional!

H Bomb
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM
and H-Bomb, when you read this, before posting your snarky 'any self respecting brit' comments......remember, a pitcher of IMPORT, not domestic, IMPORT! im getting the most out of your anti-bolton rhetoric ;)

I feel sick. But remember...technically my piss is imported, so make sure you smell what I give you before you drink it;)

sulfur
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM
To anyone who says these tickets are free is dillusional!
That game is as free as the other 17 that you have tickets for in your bundle. CBlake had it spot on. Every game costs him about $20. No matter the opponent.

Mikey
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Some of you sound pissed off, but there's always a silver lining....

Imagine if you were a scalper holding 70 or 80 tickets for this match.

In the immortal words of Nelson Muntz....

HA HA!

Whoop
And yes I love to bitch about everything.... :rolleyes:

Whoop
That game is as free as the other 17 that you have tickets for in your bundle. CBlake had it spot on. Every game costs him about $20. No matter the opponent.

Fine, can I have my $40 back? Or can I get a $40 credit towards my tickets for next season?

Face value is still $52-$56.

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM

but really though, which people? The supporters or the majority of ticket holders?

many, many ticket holders probably see these friendlies are a big perk,
so why would they stop doing them? Sure we understand that they are
essentially useless, and they can just wear out the players, but we are
the minority of the ticket holding population.

And even if we risk injuries, there's a big perk to the players in terms of morale.
Think how Gabe Gala feels about Real Madrid!

Pachuco
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM

Yeap, exactly. And that games costs me 50 something * 2. I'd much rather take my 100+ bucks back and forget about the friendlies. There hasn't been a single Calsberg Cup match that I would've paid to go see if it wasn't forced down my throat. I gladly ponied up the money for Real. So why don't they just have the friendlies and people who want to pay will see the friendly.

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Fine, can I have my $40 back? Or can I get a $40 credit towards my tickets for next season?

of course not. Find any team that would give you the money back. they never promised that you'd like the opponent for the friendly, only that they would have one.

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 12:55 PM
You wouldn't even be happy then, since you'd have to pay extra, overtop of your season ticket. :).

much less money than flying there in November to see them at home. that's going to break my bank.

H Bomb
05-11-2010, 12:55 PM

You do know the board is filled with a series of individual people right? Not you and one other schizo.:)

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 12:57 PM
You do know the board is filled with a series of individual people right? Not you and one other schizo.:)

yep, and it just seems like 1/5 of all the people on this board are never happy about anything.

sulfur
05-11-2010, 12:58 PM
much less money than flying there in November to see them at home. that's going to break my bank.
That's ok... it'll be worth it when you bring me back one of the old school orange champs league jerseys they had from a couple of years ago.

Well, it'll be worth it to me at least! :D

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
That's ok... it'll be worth it when you bring me back one of the old school orange champs league jerseys they had from a couple of years ago.

Well, it'll be worth it to me at least! :D

oh god, those were the worst kits ever. they looked like orange sorbet with baby blue stripes.

edit: - post is useless without pics

http://s.om.net/om/image/phototheque/g/65/12986.jpg

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
but really though, which people? The supporters or the majority of ticket holders?

many, many ticket holders probably see these friendlies are a big perk,
so why would they stop doing them? Sure we understand that they are
essentially useless, and they can just wear out the players, but we are
the minority of the ticket holding population.

And even if we risk injuries, there's a big perk to the players in terms of morale.
Think how Gabe Gala feels about Real Madrid!

So Bolton is our perk?

That's my point.

Yes, it's an EPL team...oooo...they finished in 14th place!

I'm not expecting Manchester United or Chelsea or AC Milan or Bayern Munich or Liverpool or Juventus... but if you are going to give us a "perk" or a "reward"... don't go through the motions and give us Bolton.

In the past, the excuse for the Pachucas or Independientes or River Plates was that the top teams wouldn't come here because of the turf... fine.

We've got grass. And we get a worse opponent than we got in year 1?

The World Cup is going on?... That hasn't stopped a number of other teams from touring NA has it? I mean there are more teams touring NA than ever before this summer.

Again, it's not a Brit vs non-Brit thing..... I'm a football fan, I know the difference between the Pachucas and the Boltons and the Lokomotiv Leipzigs or the Sao Paulos or Udineses...etc.

No matter which way you wrap it up... Bolton isn't quality.

If it's case of bringing in a team that TFC can beat... that's a stupid reason. Why not just bring a USL team then? I mean do you want your first squad to go all out and risk getting hurt? Do you think the first squad guys on Bolton are going to go all out?

So then it becomes about attraction... Bolton going to attract people aside from the half dozen friends of the wiz?

And to use the argument it's TFC... well you can put TFC versus the Lynx and TFC supporters will still come out so that's moot.

My point is... why even bother? Just don't give me excuses.

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
The indignance that MLSE dare to be in this business to ultimately turn a profit grinds on...

I'm actually interested in this game, because we likely won't get annihilated. It could wind up being a surprisingly good match.

I'm with Parkdale on this one.

- Scott

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
So Bolton is our perk?

That's my point.

it's not bolton every year. Every opponent will have different meanings to different people.

I'm happy enough with Bolton because they will bring their players with something to prove.
This will be a chance to see how TFC stands up to a real 'working' British side.
There's not a lot of glory to be Bolton, but there's a standard that they have to keep.
I want to see how TFC does against a team like that.

H Bomb
05-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I stopped caring about the friendlies. If birmingham came id be pumped. But only to see blues, not tfc. Im not angry its bolton, because unless I cant sell my ticket I wont be there. I kind of like the friendlies, they make my season tickets cheaper. But we all know its a waste of time and energy...theres nothing else to it really.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:11 PM
of course not. Find any team that would give you the money back. they never promised that you'd like the opponent for the friendly, only that they would have one.

Yeah, I knew that.

But after all the bluster about the grass and attracting quality teams, I didn't think it would be Bolton.

I'm not picking on Bolton per se... just the principal.

There's no way the apologists can claim that Bolton is a quality friendly opponent.

Wagner
05-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm with Whoopee.

his Benfica Friendly math is interesting...2 appearance fees...and the tix are valued lower.

14th in the premier league...wow.

I actually found Pachuca more intriguiging. As a top flight mexican squad. (you don't see them on TV all that much, and they are good, and we might play them after winning the Voyageurs cup)

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I feel sick. But remember...technically my piss is imported, so make sure you smell what I give you before you drink it;)

hahahahaha, way ahead of ya matt ;)

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:15 PM
MLSE is marketing Bolton as 4 time FA Cup winners.

Quick... when was the last time Bolton won the FA Cup?

Quick... name the greatest player in the history of Bolton?

At least with River Plate and Independiente these clubs won International Championships and have produced outstanding footballers.

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
But after all the bluster about the grass and attracting quality teams, I didn't think it would be Bolton.

Whose bluster was it?

There's no way the apologists can claim that Bolton is a quality friendly opponent.

I'm no "apologist" for MLSE, but I think the quality is fine. It's still a top division European team. And while they aren't the quality of a Man Utd or Barcelona, they actually have a better chance of providing for a quality match. And they are certainly a higher quality opponent than, say, River Plate or Pachuca overall.

- Scott

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:18 PM
it's not bolton every year. Every opponent will have different meanings to different people.

I'm happy enough with Bolton because they will bring their players with something to prove.
This will be a chance to see how TFC stands up to a real 'working' British side.
There's not a lot of glory to be Bolton, but there's a standard that they have to keep.
I want to see how TFC does against a team like that.

Not it's not. The real Bolton would beat the real TFC 8 out of 10, if not 10 out 10.

I stopped caring about the friendlies. If birmingham came id be pumped. But only to see blues, not tfc. Im not angry its bolton, because unless I cant sell my ticket I wont be there. I kind of like the friendlies, they make my season tickets cheaper. But we all know its a waste of time and energy...theres nothing else to it really.

Exactly... then why bother going through the motions?

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
I will say that I support not having mid-season friendlies at all.

- Scott

Darlofletch
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM

At least with River Plate and Independiente these clubs won International Championships and have produced outstanding footballers.

probably some time in the 50's

Nat Lofthouse.

Bolton has some good history and has produced some good players.

It's all a long long time ago, and it doesn't really mean anything for this game, but it's there

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 01:20 PM

quick - name the greatest player in the history of River Plate?
quick - name the greatest player in the history of Independiente?
quick - what was the last international championship won by RP?
quick - what was the last international championship won by Inde.?

:D

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-11-2010, 01:21 PM

nat lofthouse

Parkdale
05-11-2010, 01:23 PM
just out of curiosity... I wonder what the people of bolton are saying?

did you hear the team's going on tour overseas?
oh yeah? Where to?
Toronto?
Are they playing hockey?

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
quick - name the greatest player in the history of River Plate?
quick - name the greatest player in the history of Independiente?
quick - what was the last international championship won by RP?
quick - what was the last international championship won by Inde.?

From which decades?

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 01:27 PM
For River Plate, the most recent remotely meaningful title I can think of, would be the 1996 Copa Libertadores.

- Scott

WestStandGeoff
05-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm with Whoopee.

his Benfica Friendly math is interesting...2 appearance fees...and the tix are valued lower.

14th in the premier league...wow.

I actually found Pachuca more intriguiging. As a top flight mexican squad. (you don't see them on TV all that much, and they are good, and we might play them after winning the Voyageurs cup)

+1 to that. I think Whoopee's been most logical in explaining his opposition to this mess.

Whoop
Why not bring in Skonto Riga?

I mean Latvia has a decent national team, Skonto has won the Latvian championship numerous times, they've played in Europe more than Bolton and TFC has a shot at beating them....

Oh right...

sulfur

Nat Lofthouse.

nat lofthouse

You both lie. Ivan Campo!

Great because he had the most awesome hair besides tfcleeds' favourite player... Carlos Valderama! :)

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Half of Skonto Riga are already playing for us!

If that was the joke, I'm so sorry, haha.

- Scott

Oldtimer
05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't have an issue with seeing Bolton; but I'm not exactly stoked about it either.

You would have preferred Stoke? :D

sulfur
05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
You would have preferred Stoke? :D
Rachel would've! :D

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
For River Plate, the most recent remotely meaningful title I can think of, would be the 1996 Copa Libertadores.

- Scott

And the players who's played from them in recent years reads like a who's who of the Argentinian national team.

JonO
05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
i stand corrected :)

and i dont need to plagiarize wikipedia - surprisingly i know more than i should about bolton without points of reference ;)
I don't believe you do - wikipedia says nothing about those years being consecutive.

I think he was referring to the press release mis-quoting wikipedia. It certainly seems so...

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Half of Skonto Riga are already playing for us!

If that was the joke, I'm so sorry, haha.

- Scott

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

TFC Cityboy
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
I think we should focus on the fact that we have made it to the final of the Carlsberg Cup EVERY season we have entered it. Quite an achievement if you ask me...

;)

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 01:37 PM
And the players who's played from them in recent years reads like a who's who of the Argentinian national team.

I wouldn't go that far, though they do have some big former names.

Higuain, Cambiasso, and Mascherano are the only three I can list off the top of my head.

- Scott

Whoop
05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Aimar, Saviola, Lucho Gonzalez, etc. have shots of being named to the squad given their seasons this year.

And this is just within the last decade.

Is there a player who has played or graduated from Bolton in the last decade who has even a shot of being a WC winner?

Hell, at least Pachuca has had players play on the Mexican WC team and have qualified for the FIFA World Club Cup in recent years.

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Aimar, Saviola, Lucho Gonzalez, etc. have shots of being named to the squad given their seasons this year.

And this is just within the last decade.

Is there a player who has played or graduated from Bolton in the last decade who has even a shot of being a WC winner?

Hell, at least Pachuca has had players play on the Mexican WC team and have qualified for the FIFA World Club Cup in recent years.

But being a conduit for good youth talent doesn't necessarily mean anything for a friendly match. West Ham United have brought up players like Rio Ferdinand, Carlos Tevez, and Joe Cole, but I suspect you'd be similarly unenthused if they were announced as our opponent, since they did finish one spot out of relegation this year.

- Scott

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't believe you do - wikipedia says nothing about those years being consecutive.

I think he was referring to the press release mis-quoting wikipedia. It certainly seems so...

copper.

wire.

MINE!

pekduck
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
on the other side of the bridge...

what do bolton think of a club in its 4th year who has not yet made it to some wonky american playoff or positioned in a single table format as a bottom feeder?

the point is...

why so much hate..

lucster
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
What a joke! does anyone else think we are getting screwed on our freindly matches. whos next

bgnewf
05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/bolton-wanders-their-way-to-bmo-field/

I for one am looking forward to this game.

Finally a friendly we actually have a chance of winning!

pekduck
05-11-2010, 02:02 PM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/bolton-wanders-their-way-to-bmo-field/

I for one am looking forward to this game.

Finally a friendly we actually have a chance of winning!

don't jinx it :D

Whoop
05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
But being a conduit for good youth talent doesn't necessarily mean anything for a friendly match. West Ham United have brought up players like Rio Ferdinand, Carlos Tevez, and Joe Cole, but I suspect you'd be similarly unenthused if they were announced as our opponent, since they did finish one spot out of relegation this year.

- Scott

Not as upset. West Ham has more cache in the world of football than Bolton.

bgnewf
05-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Their academy perhaps, but not the club.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Tim I would disagree, but that's just me.

lucster
05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Great the expansion team plays Celtic and Man U and we get a 14th place team makes lots of sense Thanks MLSE screwing up another Toronto based team. Even a non MLS team plays a top club Fiorentina vs Montreal?

May 19: Paris St. Germain @ Chicago Fire (8 p.m. ET at Toyota Park)
May 19: Benfica @ New England Revolution (8 p.m. ET at Gillette Stadium)
May 22: Legia Warsaw / Red Star Belgrade @ Chicago Fire (7 p.m. or 9 p.m. ET at Toyota Park)
May 22: Turkey vs Czech Republic (12:30 p.m. ET at Red Bull Arena)
May 23: Juventus @ New York Red Bulls (1 p.m. ET at Red Bull Arena)
May 23: Boca Juniors @ Los Angeles Galaxy (The Home Depot Center)
May 23: Fiorentina @ Montreal Impact (Saputo Stadium, Montreal)
May 25: Czech Republic @ USA (8 p.m. ET, Rentschler Field – East Hartford, CT)
May 25: Fiorentina vs. Juventus (Rogers Centre - Toronto)
May 26: AC Milan @ D.C. United (8 p.m. ET, RFK Stadium)
May 26: Boca Juniors @ Seattle Sounders (Qwest Field - Seattle)
May 29: Turkey @ USA (2 p.m. ET, Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia)
June 2: AC Milan @ Montreal Impact (Olympic Stadium - Montreal)
June 13: Cruzeiro @ New England Revolution (7 p.m. ET, Gillette Stadium)
July 14: Celtic F.C. @ Philadelphia Union (8 p.m. ET, PPL Park)
July 16: Manchester United vs. Celtic F.C. (8 p.m. ET, Rogers Centre - Toronto)
July 17: Tottenham Hotspur @ S.J. Earthquakes (Buck Shaw Stadium)
July 18: Celtic F.C. @ Seattle Sounders (Qwest Field - Seattle)
July 21: Manchester United @ Philadelphia Union (Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia)
July 21: Bolton Wanderers FC @ Toronto FC (7:30 p.m. ET, BMO Field – Toronto)
July 22 - 25: NY Football Challenge: Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, New York Red Bulls (Red Bull Arena)
July 25: Manchester United vs. KC Wizards (6 p.m. ET, Arrowhead Stadium - Kansas City)
July 28: Manchester United vs. MLS All-Stars (8:30 p.m. ET, Reliant Stadium - Houston)

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2010, 02:11 PM

No. The way it would go is that we would see the friendly dropped but no increase in out ticket prices for a year.

The point is if this freebie was never offered in the first place then we wouldn't have people "missing it" when it's gone. For the majority of people (not supporters, ticketholders) it doessn't matter if the freebie was Bolton, Indipendiante or a key chain.

I wish the key chains were shinier.

TFC07
05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Great the expansion team plays Celtic and Man U and we get a 14th place team makes lots of sense Thanks MLSE screwing up another Toronto based team. Even a non MLS team plays a top club Fiorentina vs Montreal?

May 19: Paris St. Germain @ Chicago Fire (8 p.m. ET at Toyota Park)
May 19: Benfica @ New England Revolution (8 p.m. ET at Gillette Stadium)
May 22: Legia Warsaw / Red Star Belgrade @ Chicago Fire (7 p.m. or 9 p.m. ET at Toyota Park)
May 22: Turkey vs Czech Republic (12:30 p.m. ET at Red Bull Arena)
May 23: Juventus @ New York Red Bulls (1 p.m. ET at Red Bull Arena)
May 23: Boca Juniors @ Los Angeles Galaxy (The Home Depot Center)
May 23: Fiorentina @ Montreal Impact (Saputo Stadium, Montreal)
May 25: Czech Republic @ USA (8 p.m. ET, Rentschler Field – East Hartford, CT)
May 25: Fiorentina vs. Juventus (Rogers Centre - Toronto)
May 26: AC Milan @ D.C. United (8 p.m. ET, RFK Stadium)
May 26: Boca Juniors @ Seattle Sounders (Qwest Field - Seattle)
May 29: Turkey @ USA (2 p.m. ET, Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia)
June 2: AC Milan @ Montreal Impact (Olympic Stadium - Montreal)
June 13: Cruzeiro @ New England Revolution (7 p.m. ET, Gillette Stadium)
July 14: Celtic F.C. @ Philadelphia Union (8 p.m. ET, PPL Park)
July 16: Manchester United vs. Celtic F.C. (8 p.m. ET, Rogers Centre - Toronto)
July 17: Tottenham Hotspur @ S.J. Earthquakes (Buck Shaw Stadium)
July 18: Celtic F.C. @ Seattle Sounders (Qwest Field - Seattle)
July 21: Manchester United @ Philadelphia Union (Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia)
July 21: Bolton Wanderers FC @ Toronto FC (7:30 p.m. ET, BMO Field – Toronto)
July 22 - 25: NY Football Challenge: Manchester City, Tottenham Hotspur, New York Red Bulls (Red Bull Arena)
July 25: Manchester United vs. KC Wizards (6 p.m. ET, Arrowhead Stadium - Kansas City)
July 28: Manchester United vs. MLS All-Stars (8:30 p.m. ET, Reliant Stadium - Houston)

This is sad!

We got some great clubs coming to Toronto, and none of them are going to play against TFC? But it's okay, we got Bolton. :facepalm:

Well done ML$E. What a great way of rewarding your fanbase. I would rather pay $150 to watch Real Madrid play instead of going to watch Bolton play for free. I am sure there are a lot of soccer fans in GTA who feel the same way as well.

Dave67
05-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Bolton... I have to be honest, I probably would not have cared whoever this was against. Bolton. Well MLSE have managed to lower the bar a little further.

Not that any of this matters, but according to Bolton's website their most expensive ticket was 35 pounds (according to www.xe.com (http://www.xe.com)) that's $53 Canadian. So to see Bolton play in the Premiership would be $53. This friendly at BMO (according to my ticket in 110) costs me $80.

Now of course to take advantage of that $53 Bolton ticket I would need to be in England, but it sure does stagger the mind as to how these things are priced out.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
skint that's illogical!?!?

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Bolton... I have to be honest, I probably would not have cared whoever this was against. Bolton. Well MLSE have managed to lower the bar a little further.

Not that any of this matters, but according to Bolton's website their most expensive ticket was 35 pounds (according to www.xe.com (http://www.xe.com)) that's $53 Canadian. So to see Bolton play in the Premiership would be $53. This friendly at BMO (according to my ticket in 110) costs me $80.

Now of course to take advantage of that $53 Bolton ticket I would need to be in England, but it sure does stagger the mind as to how these things are priced out.

Supply and demand.

- Scott

Dave67
05-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Supply and demand.

- Scott

LOL - you show me the demand for this one :)
This is not 'Supply & demand' this is 'captive audience'

Frick
05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I've just skimmed through the thread so bare with me if this has been mentioned already.

I know some people are upset about the price of ticket and quality of competition. For season ticket holders, rather than looking at the individual price for this match, look at it from a total games perspective. TFC play 18 home games (15 MLS games, 2 NCC, and 1 CC) this year. That works out to be about $51 a game for Dark Greys. Not as bad of a hit to the wallet when you look at it that way.

Shakes McQueen
05-11-2010, 02:35 PM
LOL - you show me the demand for this one :)
This is not 'Supply & demand' this is 'captive audience'

I was responding to what you said about the price of a Bolton ticket, versus the price of a TFC ticket, not necessarily this specific game. Bolton has a population of 140,000, the GTA is roughly 5.5 million.

However, this is not a "captive audience". When STH's bought their packages, they knew it came with a friendly match against an unannounced opponent, and they renewed at a staggering rate anyway.

- Scott

Brooker
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
lol... this bitching, whining, and sense of entitlement is hilarious.

keep it going! almost at 10 pages!

Darlofletch
05-11-2010, 02:42 PM

they're certainly more fashionable, what with being from london rather than from oop north. and ooh, they had that nice Gianfranco Zola and that charming 'arry redknapp, instead of "fat sam" and that horible gary megson.

and they didn't play physical and upset poor Arsene and his precious Arsenal like bolton had the temerity to do.

But really, who's had the more success, without loking everything up, I'd say it's fairly equal. but West Ham are much more glamourous, so if glamour = cache, then yes they do.

wow, my inner "bitter northerner" is really coming out apparently.

Dave67
05-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I was responding to what you said about the price of a Bolton ticket, versus the price of a TFC ticket, not necessarily this specific game. Bolton has a population of 140,000, the GTA is roughly 5.5 million.

However, this is not a "captive audience". When STH's bought their packages, they knew it came with a friendly match against an unannounced opponent, and they renewed at a staggering rate anyway.

- Scott

Part 1 - Got it. You make sense.

Part 2 - So our one alternative was to not renew our seasons tickets? I call that a captive audience. At the very least it is not a reasonable option.

Oldtimer
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM

... and no-one seems to care that we have an important match in Montreal on Wednesday. * sigh *

canucker
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Sorry everyone, but I'm fucking PUMPED for this!!!

I know Bolton has a bad reputation and they're not a top half of the table team, but this is the team I grew up supporting from over here and I can't wait!!

So happy that its been confirmed too. This should be a fun match. The new manager, Owen Coyle, will have the boys flying, so it should be entertaining football. Not the longball crap that they used to employ under Sam Allardyce.

Just hope Kevin Davies doesn't steamroll one of our defenders!

brad
05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I get to see two Premier League teams in my home town, both within walking distance from my home in less that a week. I find it hard to complain about that.

T0R0NT0 FC
05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
... and no-one seems to care that we have an important match in Montreal on Wednesday. * sigh *

Huh? We play wednesday? :rolleyes:

TFC Cityboy
05-11-2010, 02:51 PM

QFT!
some of the people on here are never happy!

Whoop
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Fine... when we get Dynamo Dresden next season we'll be celebrating in the cities for 2 days.

And we'll be like $60...! Wow, what a deal!

Roogsy
05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Their academy perhaps, but not the club.

Newf! My man! You're having a piss now aren't you???

canadian_bhoy
05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I find it sad that other MLS teams see the friendly matches as a chance to set up glamour friendlies with big name teams, while TFC sees the friendly match as an annoying hole in the schedule that they begrudgingly need to fill.

Seattle played Barca, Philly is playing United, we've played Independiente and now Bolton.

Why does TFC consistently act like they are not an MLS club.

They don't charge prices similar to MLS clubs, they don't charge concessions similar to MLS clubs and when a big name friendly comes available, they can't include it in our tickets like other MLS clubs do.

We get the dregs and are expected to take it with a smile.

Roogsy
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I just want to know one thing...just one thing:

Does anyone here actually believe we didn't already pay to see Bolton in our ticket package? In other words...are we watching Bolton FOR FREE?

If we are...then by all means, this bitching is completely out of line.

But if it's not free...then you guys guys complaining about the "bitching" are suckers.

I wouldn't pay $10 to go see Bolton on a good day but I am forced to pay a heckofalot more than that. End of story.

Roogsy
05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I think we should focus on the fact that we have made it to the final of the Carlsberg Cup EVERY season we have entered it. Quite an achievement if you ask me...

;)

:lol:

This one made my day. Thanks bro.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I find it sad that other MLS teams see the friendly matches as a chance to set up glamour friendlies with big name teams, while TFC sees the friendly match as an annoying hole in the schedule that they begrudgingly need to fill.

Seattle played Barca, Philly is playing United, we've played Independiente and now Bolton.

Why does TFC consistently act like they are not an MLS club.

They don't charge prices similar to MLS clubs, they don't charge concessions similar to MLS clubs and when a big name friendly comes available, they can't include it in our tickets like other MLS clubs do.

We get the dregs and are expected to take it with a smile.

Apparently so.

Don't complain and know your place because you know TFC might be able to beat Bolton. LOL

HAHA Ooo... my sides hurt.

canadian_bhoy
05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
uh....Bolton?

http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/original/url.jpg

Roogsy
05-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Just for the sake of argument...can someone explain to me the purpose of these mid-season friendlies?

I thought it was to promote the game. If so, can someone explain to me how BOLTON does that?

Shit, I've BEEN to England many times and I have no idea where Bolton is.

Brooker
05-11-2010, 03:04 PM
to give fans something to bitch and whine about other than Mo?

Pigfynn
05-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm confident you'll be able to recoup the cost of your seat if you really want to people (atleast the southend folks will).

I for one, as a supporter of Preston North End and TFC look forward to playing and beating Bolton.

Whoop
05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Roogsy... it's not free but it's cheap because you know if you divide the number of games in your SSH package by the price it works out to $20 a game!!!!!

Wow... what a deal.

I mean if you look at your SSH package, the Carlsberg Cup match is the most expensive one so really if you took that game out just imagine how much cheaper it would be to attend the other 17 more important matches. LOL

Pigfynn
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Just for the sake of argument...can someone explain to me the purpose of these mid-season friendlies?

I thought it was to promote the game. If so, can someone explain to me how BOLTON does that?

It is very near the Burnley, Wigan, Preston, Blackpool area of the north west of England. My people's territory.

http://www.europa-pages.net/maps/northwest.jpg

TFC Cityboy
05-11-2010, 03:07 PM

You're obviously going to the wrong part of the country, mate.
Notlob , otherwise known as wanky wanderers is about 15 miles NW of the fair city of Manchester.
Having said that , there is no point in visiting Bolton- a bit of a shithole, to say the least.

Darlofletch
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
West Ham - highest ever finish? 3rd
Bolton - highest ever finish? 2nd a bunch of times

West Ham, 3 fa cups, 1 cup winners cup
Bolton, 4 fa cups (beating West ham in 1923, first at wembley).

West ham - Highest League attendance 42,322
Bolton - Highest league attendance, 69,912

West ham - in epl since? 2005, highest position 9th, 54 total years in top flight, 17th this season
Bolton - in epl since 2001, including qualifying for uefa cup twice, and 4 consecutive top 8 finishes form 03-07, 70 odd years in top flight, 14th this season

West ham - in football league since - 1919
Bolton - founder member of football league in 1888

but yeah, west ham "has more cache" than Bolton.