PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Prices....SSH waiting lists...Concession costs

superstar1976
05-05-2010, 07:54 PM
So, just to share where I am coming from on this and open it up for discussion. I didn't buy seasons in year one thinking MLS wouldn't fly in toronto despite my love for the game as a player and observer. That said, I looked on with envy and wished I had bought seasons, particularly with the supporters.

The next year I got the Marlies pack, following year finally got Dark Grey's and was able to sell most of the games for face value going to about 6 of them, and this year I have light grey's and a reasonable season ticket cost.

HOWEVER, I almost gave up my season tickets when at the relocation event there apparantly were no season seats in the cheaper price category available, called my rep and told him I was not renewing. Magically, cheaper seats became available and I took them. I love football, and frankly want to support TFC, but lets face it the level is not the highest and the prices need to reflect that. I went to see Man United and paid 30 pound per ticket to sit in the North End, my seats were fantastic.

Where am I going with this?

Point #1 - Basically, I do not believe the SSH waiting list is completely valid, and I also think MLSE does this on purpose to people like me making us think that there are no cheaper seats available to get rid of the higher priced seats first.

Point #2 - If prices go up any higher (already think they are too high for this product), then we will see games with 13k-15k, quite easily. The prices already cost too much unless you are in the south end and believe me if TFC had any idea how popular this would be, those tickets would cost double what they are (too late now).

Point #3 - The gameday experience is way too expensive. $12 to park, $10/beer, $8 Meat pie (or anything for that matter), and having a couple of beers with food and parking is running you at least $40 (+ the cost of your ticket).

So, the result could be a culmination of factors that could lead to empty seats, cheap availability, and a severly eroded revenue base for MLSE. I think that our owners are really walking a fine line with the whole TFC story and I'm afraid if they don't take steps to stabilize the financial aspect of it, this could end badly.

My solution? Have reduced pricing for most of the tickets in the stadium starting at $10/seat with a max price of $40/seat, and keep the concession prices the same. I then think you can put more bums in the seats, and make more money through the game day experience.

Thoughts anyone?

THA BUTCHA
05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Good Post.

Unfortunately everyone that frequents these boards are TFC whores. there is only one solution.

Give up your seasons...

ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT?

AM I GOING TO DO IT?

MLSE is betting that we're cowards and I think its a good bet.

:(

superstar1976
05-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks. I basically gave up my tickets (Dark Grey's) until when my rep knew I was serious, offered me cheaper seats (went from $1900/pair, to $760/pair).

I think at this point, the regulars with cheap seats are not likely to give these up so easily, but the more expensive seats I would think are a different story, especially if MLSE year after year continue to try and push the envelope.

CretanBull
05-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Good Post.

Unfortunately everyone that frequents these boards are TFC whores.

Really?

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Point #3 - The gameday experience is way too expensive. $12 to park, $10/beer, $8 Meat pie (or anything for that matter), and having a couple of beers with food and parking is running you at least $40 (+ the cost of your ticket).

This is the only area where I think a little "creativity" (for lack of a better word) can be used. There are decent parking deals to be had just to the north of BMO in liberty village, I think you can get $4 for a day. As for food, the compromise is eat before or after the game - there's the hotdog stand just north of the GO station $2 a hotdog, $1 for a drink, there's a BK within walking distance, you can grab a king meal pretty cheaply. I don't drink so I don't know the alternatives in terms of grabbing a beer.

I agree that it's getting too pricey and hope that the team doesn't price itself out of the affordability of the average fan.

Gixmo
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I see where this is going.. I've had a similar situation this year when I renewed - take these full season club seats.. No thanks... I'm a standing type of guy and magically once I said no thanks, 1 seat opened up in a sold out lower bowl that has yet to be full on game day?

It's a weird situation but we will see what happens as time goes on. Each time renewal comes around, I'm waiting for a seat to come my way!

Gixmo
05-05-2010, 08:32 PM
This is the only area where I think a little "creativity" (for lack of a better word) can be used. There are decent parking deals to be had just to the north of BMO in liberty village, I think you can get $4 for a day. As for food, the compromise is eat before or after the game - there's the hotdog stand just north of the GO station $2 a hotdog, $1 for a drink, there's a BK within walking distance, you can grab a king meal pretty cheaply. I don't drink so I don't know the alternatives in terms of grabbing a beer.

I agree that it's getting too pricey and hope that the team doesn't price itself out of the affordability of the average fan.

Parking - Liberty Village
Food - Shoeless Joes
Beer - Shoeless Joes
Fun - Shoeless Joes

Don't know how to get to the park? Easy - follow everyone from Shoeless Joes...

See the picture I'm drawing here?

wzhxvy
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
They will price the experience to maximize revenues. Its a pretty obvious statement but needs to be said. They are starting to reach the boundaries of their pricing power I believe when you look at actual attendance, and north end attendance, and the seeming availability of tickets now...the shitty results...you literally have to give them away these days. What irked me was the arrogance with which they approached the north end seating...and I am so freaking happy it has come back to bite them in the ass to show that in effect they are not even good business people...they got lucky with it and if they are not careful, they will screw it up. Lets see what they do next year.

boban
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
... north end seating...has come back to bite them in the ass to show that in effect they are not even good business people...they got lucky with it and if they are not careful, they will screw it up. Lets see what they do next year.
They got lucky with pretty much all their sports properties. They are not great business people. I have been saying this from day one. A storied franchise with multiple stanley cups .. its the history of that that pays for the tickets today. And you describe the luck of this soccer club.

superstar1976
05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Good points. I could eat and drink before the game, and park some distance I suppose, but the eating and having a couple beers at the game is all part of the experience in my opinion.

I think MLSE needs to make a choice........have low prices to put bums in the seats with high concession costs......or high ticket prices with lower concession costs....personally, I think the former is the way to go.

I think my example of being willing to give up my seats should serve as a major warning sign to MLSE. Not that I am anyone important, but I love TFC, love football, enjoy coming to my games, but was ready to give up being an SSH. I do believe there are many more like me and think the empty seats could be the warning signal MLSE needs to pay attention to.

p.s. although I was happy to get cheaper seats, I have a sour taste in my mouth from the whole experience and feel taken advantage of. Not a good thing from a fan perspective.

Suds
05-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I will most likely drop the extra ticket I have after this year. I can barely give it away anymore, let alone for face value. Maybe they MLSE can sell it to the ever growing phantom waiting list, (I heard over 15,000 at one point), who never seem to buy any of the thousands of empty seats at every game now.

Super
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
To be fair, there are probably MANY season ticket holders who stay home simply because we're losing. The empty seats are not all unsold seats. Also, tons of tickets are lost with the scalpers who can't unload them - again, due to the lacking results. Sure, we've won all 3 home games, but expectations of not making the play-offs yet again have kept people away in big numbers.

nascarguy
05-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Food - Shoeless Joes
Beer - Shoeless Joes
Fun - Shoeless Joes

joe's is not as fun anyone and beer & food are over price.

I'm putting mlse on notice hamilton csl team has season tickets for 80$.

rocker
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
just something my father always ponders....... why does everybody have to eat and drink so much at the game anyway? there's this fat couple near us that eats sooooo much it's sickening. And even the young men in front of us leave to eat at least once in the first half and once in the second half. They also go on beer runs once each half for two big beers each. Obviously prices aren't stopping these people from pigging out.

Ticket prices are a different thing,of course, since that's your entry in the first place. but complaining about food/drink costs? Don't eat and drink in the stadium.

You can survive 2 hours with it....

nascarguy
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM
some poeple are just there to party and drink mlse piss.

Carts
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
There isn't "plenty of places" close to BMO to eat/drink - but there are a few...

Shoeless Joes: our home / is busy, loud, and fun.

Brazen Head: closer than Joes, good TFC crowd, but much more toned down. Food & beer are 'downtown' prices. I describe it like Brazen head is an east side 109 ticket compared to a Joes which is south end 112...

Liberty Street Bar (or whatever that little place is called): never been in it. It is the shortest distance to BMO.

Foggy Dew: not a quick walk, but walkable. Great pub, with TFC deals on beers gamedays and a good gameday crowd. Total pub w/good pub food...
Carlsberg pitcher deals every game day are a hit with alot of people (but I dont drink carlsberg lol!)

Street Vendors / Fast Food: no beer, but hotdogs, or Burger King, all close enough to eat at...

Carts...

superstar1976
05-05-2010, 09:12 PM
To that person who inboxed me, your inbox is full and I can't respond......fyi.

ilikemusic
05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I wont pay any more than the $40ish im paying per ticket now.

And if the team doesnt perform this season (i.e. make some noise in the playoffs) I am not renewing.

As for concessions, I dont think I will ever understand this need people have to eat something while they are at a sporting event. Its 2, 3 hours tops. Cant you go without food for that long? Wouldnt you rather eat before/after and have yourself a nice meal?

nascarguy
05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
both Brazen Head and Liberty Street Bar are more more price then joe's

you miss the place where the NEE pregame over 50 kinds of beer just up the street from joe's
they have heineken for 3.50 and joe has it for 6$

superstar1976
05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
lol, well, its just something I associate with being at the event, thats all. Last time I ate dinner, and still had the meat pie at $8...I know, thats my problem.

nascarguy
05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
lol, well, its just something I associate with being at the event, thats all. Last time I ate dinner, and still had the meat pie at $8...I know, thats my problem.
chip sandwick is the only cheap thing in bmo field it's under 3.60$

GBV
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
And let's not forget the prices for the so-called "premium games."
What a slap in the face that is.

Belfast_Boy
05-05-2010, 09:46 PM
it's pretty simple. if you don't like it, don't go.

I don't pay for parking. either i ride my motorcycle and park on the sidewalk or take public transit. I might buy one beer but there's a better chance that I'm bringing in some Appletons.

as for food, i'm eating before or going to the tailgate with my fellow RPB's and having some great BBQ or whatever is being cooked up. I'm not eating their over priced grub.

i'm on the list for seasons tickets but have turned down extortion packs and I'm not going to jump at the reds or expensive seats when they are offered. I can get tickets at face value on the board or from other sources.

as for bars I don't mind Joes. all the boys are usually there and they are part of the reason I like it. the Rhino is pretty good too.

TFC Bhoy
05-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Food - Shoeless Joes
Beer - Shoeless Joes
Fun - Shoeless Joes

I love going to Joes before games and always have a ton of fun (especially when we march to the game:flare: :scarf::flare:) but the only down part is you have to get there really early if you don't want to spend 15 min in line at the bar to get a beer and can't really order any food as all tables go really fast really early.

This doesn't stop me from going and drinking, just the one KINDA downside there.

Yeoman
05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
when i told some derby county fans the price i paid for my season, they were floored.
twice as much as their most expensive season ticket.
kind of sad really.
i'll stick through no matter what. but if i've got to do two or three more years of shitty tickets? i'm not going to bother and i'll just bite the bullet and pray i can get tickets before each game (which looks to be pretty frequent now anyways)

nascarguy
05-05-2010, 10:07 PM
yeah tickets are not as hard to get any more

Gixmo
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Wow, tough lot.. Can't please em all

See you at Joes Saturday folks!

(Brazenhead has 'hot' barkeeps... Which is a plus and a bit more room to flow)

Nodoubtguy
05-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Wow, tough lot.. Can't please em all

See you at Joes Saturday folks!

(Brazenhead has 'hot' barkeeps... Which is a plus and a bit more room to flow)

JOES??? TAILGATE!!!!!

Gixmo
05-05-2010, 10:28 PM
JOES??? TAILGATE!!!!!

See you at Joes, when there isn't a tailgate.. Although, I will still visit Joes for a post match bevvy then!

I forgot the gate was on for a brief moment, Forgive my sin please.

T.Reis
05-06-2010, 02:52 AM
I've brought this up b4 but no one really answered me.

Does TFC justify thier ticket prices bcuz of the demand they preceive to be there cuz of the large number of people on the waiting list? cuz I can give u the name of a few people at the office who are on that list and have no interest in becoming TFC SSH, they just signed up to get a chance at certain promotions b4 the general public, ex - Real Madrid tickets.

I bet there are a lot of people on that list who are like that, and if they ever get that magic call from MLSE saying that they were next on the list and there are season seats available, they probably would have forgot they even signed up lol.

Not all are in that situation but I'm sure a lot are. Wonder how much of this takes into effect on ticket pricing. If it does, seems kind of sneaky and douchebagish! I'll give MLSE the benfit of the dought.

kodiakTFC
05-06-2010, 04:04 AM
Good Post.

Unfortunately everyone that frequents these boards are TFC whores. there is only one solution.

Give up your seasons...

ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT?

AM I GOING TO DO IT?

You pretty much just summed up a prisoners dilemma right there.

I think the ticket prices are ridiculously overpriced but they are not going anywhere. The funny thing is, if MLSE expanded the stadium to 35k and lowered the tickets to the suggested $10-30 range; they'd have no problems selling out. When TFC first came to town it was a cheap ticket but the success we granted it cost us a reasonable price.

Mikey
05-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Good Post.

Give up your seasons...

ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT?

AM I GOING TO DO IT?

It was really hard to justify renewing tickets again. This year is my last year shelling out for season tickets to watch pub team skills. I strongly suspect my four seats in 112 will somehow end up in the hands of ML$E supported scalpers when I don't renew them. Vancouver and Montreal will be coming into this league as football teams, not investment return vehicles. TFC won't stand a chance.

I think ML$E should send out a TFC mug with the ticket packs, somehow seems more appropriate than a scarf......especially if it has TFC and MUG written on it in big letters.

GBV
05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
I've brought this up b4 but no one really answered me.

Does TFC justify thier ticket prices bcuz of the demand they preceive to be there cuz of the large number of people on the waiting list? cuz I can give u the name of a few people at the office who are on that list and have no interest in becoming TFC SSH, they just signed up to get a chance at certain promotions b4 the general public, ex - Real Madrid tickets.

I bet there are a lot of people on that list who are like that, and if they ever get that magic call from MLSE saying that they were next on the list and there are season seats available, they probably would have forgot they even signed up lol.

Not all are in that situation but I'm sure a lot are. Wonder how much of this takes into effect on ticket pricing. If it does, seems kind of sneaky and douchebagish! I'll give MLSE the benfit of the dought.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I know three people who were on the waiting list, and all got on it relatively late.
They were all able to get season tickets this year.
Two actually did. The other declined.
That three relatively late-comers had tickets available to them suggests this 15,000-person waiting list thing (or whatever it is) isn't anywhere near as tight as they would love for us to believe.

torontocelt
05-06-2010, 06:32 AM
It was really hard to justify renewing tickets again. This year is my last year shelling out for season tickets to watch pub team skills. I strongly suspect my four seats in 112 will somehow end up in the hands of ML$E supported scalpers when I don't renew them. Vancouver and Montreal will be coming into this league as football teams, not investment return vehicles. TFC won't stand a chance.

I think ML$E should send out a TFC mug with the ticket packs, somehow seems more appropriate than a scarf......especially if it has TFC and MUG written on it in big letters.

If I cannot move down in price then I will not renew. It is too many games for me as it is and it is difficult to fit them in with other plans. Next year will be worse than this year with empty seats and this year is bad already. I do not think it will be a problem to get tickets when I want to go, it will be cheaper and a lot more convenient for me. TFC are taking the piss with their prices but until people recognize this and either protest or give up their seasons then they will continue to up the prices. Premiership prices for piss poor football. The sad thing and the thing is that there is still people on these boards who try to justify the pricing policy in the more expensive areas of the stadium, I think that doesn't help. We all know that the pricing is on par with the other teams in Toronto but the level of football is pitiful and it is crazy what TFC charge in some sections. The price is not justifiable in my opinion.

nfitz
05-06-2010, 07:07 AM
TFC won't stand a chance.I think you are 100% wrong. Thanks for the seats! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

maninb
05-06-2010, 07:22 AM
There isn't "plenty of places" close to BMO to eat/drink - but there are a few...

Shoeless Joes: our home / is busy, loud, and fun.

Brazen Head: closer than Joes, good TFC crowd, but much more toned down. Food & beer are 'downtown' prices. I describe it like Brazen head is an east side 109 ticket compared to a Joes which is south end 112...

Liberty Street Bar (or whatever that little place is called): never been in it. It is the shortest distance to BMO.

Foggy Dew: not a quick walk, but walkable. Great pub, with TFC deals on beers gamedays and a good gameday crowd. Total pub w/good pub food...
Carlsberg pitcher deals every game day are a hit with alot of people (but I dont drink carlsberg lol!)

Street Vendors / Fast Food: no beer, but hotdogs, or Burger King, all close enough to eat at...

Carts...

Foggy Dew & Brazen Head (same owners) have been known to treat TFC supporters like SHITE!!! Any singing and you're banned, any chanting and you're banned...I'll take my cash elsewhere thanks....

tupalev
05-06-2010, 07:27 AM
you miss the place where the NEE pregame over 50 kinds of beer just up the street from joe's

That would be the Rhino, right across from Cadillac Lounge on Queen just west of Dufferin. I go there because they have the cheapest microbrews in the city but as the other poster said, they have very cheap other beer as well. Cheap food too, easy walk to the game. I just park outside right on Queen sometimes too.

Joe Kool
05-06-2010, 07:28 AM
If I cannot move down in price then I will not renew.

Unfortunately the way they get you is that you have to renew your current seats before you can see if there are going to be cheaper ones available.

I am on par with alot of people I think that have seasons because I love going to the live games and I would love to bring my kids more than I do now but with the increased ticket prices I find it harder each year to justify owning the season tickets especially when tickets are so readily available on the RPB ticket trader for every game. I bet I could still go to almost every game that I wanted without owning the season tickets and I can only see the ticket availability getting better because it has been increasing slowly over the past few years. I guess I will decide in the fall.

Phil
05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
both Brazen Head and Liberty Street Bar are more more price then joe's

You should get your lies straight before posting them. :D

Heineken is not $6 at joes, but whatever.

Phil
05-06-2010, 07:34 AM
I do agree with the original post though, things are pretty expensive come game day and its becoming a larger and larger investment.

Ticket prices are getting too high and the percentage increase is getting pretty bad.

We have found ways to deal with the parking and food pricing, but face it, a lot of people go to that stadium and spend a lot of money. It confuses me to see the amount of increase on tickets considering how much revenue comes in from beer and food.

Lets not get into the actual product on the pitch LOL

brad
05-06-2010, 07:37 AM
The waiting list is a tool that is used to create an artificial demand for tickets. This is a pretty common ploy. It also creates a "fear" (for lack of a better word) for current ticket holders that worry if they give their tickets up, they'll never get back in.

Of that list, I would be very curious to know what percentage of people are only interested in supporters section tickets. I'd like to know what percentage of people are only willing to take the cheap seats.

BTW, Manchester United are doing a similar thing with there wait list right now. They are still advertising a big wait list. A BBC journo wrote an article about it a few months back, she put herself on the list, and surprise surprise, was called and offered tickets the next day.

Suds
05-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Foggy Dew & Brazen Head (same owners) have been known to treat TFC supporters like SHITE!!! Any singing and you're banned, any chanting and you're banned...I'll take my cash elsewhere thanks....

Well, I'll have to call bullshit on that ... I go to both regularly before and after games every year and have never been treated poorly. (in fact they could have easily been justified in cutting me off a few times :o)

In the first year Brazen Head were tentative no doubt. But since then they have been great. Foggy Dew - never an issue.

Carts
05-06-2010, 07:54 AM

Try reading the post before replying...

LIKE I SAID, Joes is like 112 (loud & fun), the others are regular pubs...

Been to both before and after games, with many, many people, never been treated like SHITE, none of us - so perhaps it was you who did something to get that treatment...

Tough break kid...
Carts...

drewski
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM
MLSE decided to freeze ticket prices for the Leafs after another shitty season. lets hope they AT LEAST do the same for TFC if the season goes as expected

Mikey
05-06-2010, 07:55 AM
I think you are 100% wrong. Thanks for the seats! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Thanks for the seats? why? You wont be getting them...MUG.

zamperina
05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I think this TFC needs to make the playoffs this year for MLSE to justify another price increase! Think of all the revenues they pull in with tickets & concessions overpriced when the salary cap is 2.5mill, the grass installation 3mill and the new North Stand costing what another 3mill? Total costs being what 10mill or a little more to run this team this season means peanuts!!!!

Mikey
05-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Whats annoying is that there's no way to make sure the seats at the top of 112 got to RPB when I let them go. I just know they will go out the ML$E side door to one of the scalpers.

boomcha
05-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I was given the chance at buying two tickets in 109 for last years season and I took them.. at 900+ each, it came out to above 1800. I thought I would have no problem getting rid of my extra ticket (thought I would try being a nice guy and helping some other supporters by selling a full season at STH price) but seemed everyone I tried to sell it to would back out. I tried family and friends and no takers.. too much $$$ was the story from most.

I spent a bunch of time and energy during last season trying to sell my extra ticket for every other game, and at the end of the season I decided to not renew the one ticket. At relocation I was able to grab a seat in the top area of 111. A savings of about $1500+.

I almost NEVER eat at the stadium and might have one beer but usually try to pre-drink somewhere else closeby. Not eating at the stadium and drinking at the stadium has considerably lessened costs associated with going out to a game and since there are about 15 games a year its a bunch of coin in your pocket. As for parking.. ride a bike, go train it ... ttc it.

MLSE makes enough money off us as it is with their expensive watered down beer and bait and switch friendlies. So be a little frugal and you can save money.

Now if only Ontario would make drinking in the open legal...

Dave67
05-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Different team, but this year I did not renew my Bills club seat. I called the Bills and asked for a lower bowl ticket and they said there were none. My 4 buddies knew the seat next to them had been empty for 3 years. I asked the Bills for that specific seat and they said no.

The day after my renewal window expired they called me and I got the specific seat they had told me I could not have. It's amazing what can happen when you call a teams bluff.

fetajr
05-06-2010, 09:01 AM
sneak beer in using the low pockets in cargo pants

or use this
http://www.thebeerbelly.com/Beerbelly_Bundle_p/200-006.htm

Mango Kid
05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
sneak beer in using the low pockets in cargo pants

or use this
http://www.thebeerbelly.com/Beerbelly_Bundle_p/200-006.htm

Or in the hood of your hoodie.

Or bring a drum, pop the skin off the top, load the drum.

Those work too.

Or so I hear.

With regard to the waiting list, I think Nick Garcia is more likely to be MVP this year than the list have 15,000+ on it.

Carts
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I was given the chance at buying two tickets in 109 for last years season and I took them.. at 900+ each, it came out to above 1800. I thought I would have no problem getting rid of my extra ticket (thought I would try being a nice guy and helping some other supporters by selling a full season at STH price) but seemed everyone I tried to sell it to would back out. I tried family and friends and no takers.. too much $$$ was the story from most.

I spent a bunch of time and energy during last season trying to sell my extra ticket for every other game, and at the end of the season I decided to not renew the one ticket. At relocation I was able to grab a seat in the top area of 111. A savings of about $1500+.

I almost NEVER eat at the stadium and might have one beer but usually try to pre-drink somewhere else closeby. Not eating at the stadium and drinking at the stadium has considerably lessened costs associated with going out to a game and since there are about 15 games a year its a bunch of coin in your pocket. As for parking.. ride a bike, go train it ... ttc it.

MLSE makes enough money off us as it is with their expensive watered down beer and bait and switch friendlies. So be a little frugal and you can save money.

Boomcha - you're spot on with how you've gotten in the door, and how you have your gameday experience...

When you had the chance, you got your foot in the door with season tickets and bit the bullet on the price - THATS IMPORTANT - getting your foot in the door, being a SSH gives you first dibs (over non-ticket holders) at cheaper seats... Then, with your foot in the door were able to downgrade the $$$ to something better suited for you...

Now you're set, have your pints at the pub etc etc etc...

Sometimes people want everything right away... The perfect seats in the perfect pricepoint...

Sometimes you have to take 1-step back to take 2-steps forward...

Me personally, I had 1-season ticket (thanks to a RPB helping me out to become a SSH) that I was able to turn into a pair - but I would never had got that pair had I not been a SSH in the first place...

Carts...

saint2e
05-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Hrrm. I've been on the waiting list since the first season, and haven't had the cash/time to get seasons. I was hoping to get a pair next year, sounds like I won't have any problems with everyone dropping out.

Now, admittedly I'm new to the whole TFC Supporter thing, but TFC is only 4 years from being an expanasion team, correct? I can understand being a little off put by no playoffs yet, but considering this fact, is a little more patience deserved?

That being said, the one game I have been to was the 2-0 win over Sounders, it was pissing down, and I still had a great time. I had a slice of overpriced pizza, and paid $12 for parking, sat in the North Stands and had a blast. Admittedly I don't know if I'd say the same if we had lost 2-0, though.

Mango Kid
05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
In light of GBV's post above - which I can confirm as I know the people mentioned as well - I haven't a clue how you haven't been offered seats yet. They were on maybe a couple years? Certainly not the first.

saint2e
05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
In light of GBV's post above - which I can confirm as I know the people mentioned as well - I haven't a clue how you haven't been offered seats yet. They were on maybe a couple years? Certainly not the first.

Was this directed at me?

If so, I got the emails asking me to formally apply/order season seats, but I didn't due to cash/time restraints.

menefreghista
05-06-2010, 09:36 AM
This is a great topic. MLSE should be paying attention but they probably can't hear anything because the sounds of cash registers ringing is drowning out all other noise.

Personally I think they have pretty much stretched the amount that they can charge for the most expensive tickets at BMO Field. If anything, the more expensive seats should probably be discounted across the line (based on the continual $40+ increases per season).

But I still think they are going to try to squeeze a lot more out of the more cheaper seats in the stadium. Try to bring the prices all over the stadium closer together. I'm thinking they will go as high as $500/per seat in the south end.

------------------------

As for the demand, it has clearly dropped off dramatically.

In season one, I had a pair of south end season tickets. I paid so little for them that I didn't even ask people for money if I took them to a game. And everybody wanted to go and check the team out because it looked so fun.

Fast forward 3 years and its a chore to get rid of seats. Even in the south end.

I feel sorry for the people stuck with the pricier seats. Those are impossible to move.

boomcha
05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
If you are willing to pay highly for the first year then you will probably have no issues becoming a STH, just plan for it because you will most likely get raped the first year.

Hrrm. I've been on the waiting list since the first season, and haven't had the cash/time to get seasons. I was hoping to get a pair next year, sounds like I won't have any problems with everyone dropping out.

boban
05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Now, admittedly I'm new to the whole TFC Supporter thing, but TFC is only 4 years from being an expanasion team, correct? I can understand being a little off put by no playoffs yet, but considering this fact, is a little more patience deserved?
No.
When TFC entered the league it was club 13 and 8 made the playoffs. Last year 8 out of 15 made it. Chicago Fire in their first year won the whole thing and made the playoffs in the first 6 years of existence. Real Salt Lake in year 4 went to the semis and year 5 won the whole thing. Chivas USA in years 2,3,4 made the playoffs.
The Toronto fans are no where near demanding too much and patience has been extended 10 fold.

LCB
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Agreed! Drink at Lamport Stadium in the bushes, eat a schwarma, walk to the game. Perfect.

jaxul
05-06-2010, 10:01 AM
The problem is they are charging Premiership prices for League 1 games. Toronto has many fans who were hungry for football and took whatever they were given when TFC came to town. But 4 years later we are still holding our breath for 3 passes to come together (whether it's TFC or the opponent) and the quality just isn't there to justify the high ticket prices. I bet the avg price for a League 1 game isn't 30-40 pounds like it is here. Besides, sometimes I think I am at a Leafs game...people showing up 20 mins late to each half, leaving in the 80th min when we are UP by 2...etc. Real passionate fans who just want to watch a football match will not (cannot in some cases) consistently pay $40 for the supporters section for so called "premium matches" when there is nothing premium about them...still the same level of broken down quality. Even 26-28 dollars is pushing it. People who can afford $60-$100 a game, like I said MAYBE watch half of it.

I guess most of this is a rant triggered by what I witnessed at the Seattle game. I sat in 121...the section and those around were 75% empty at the beginning of the second half and 90% empty by the 82nd min. I'm sure you can't blame it all on the weather. Not to mention the middle sections in the east end. Keep those prices up MLSE...

I will attempt to never sit outside of 110-118 for a game ever again haha

:flare::scarf::flare:

James17930
05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Nobody should ever complain about parking prices because, really, no one should ever drive to a game. There's both the TTC and the GO -- if you live out of town, drive to the nearest public transit lot and take that.

Anyone who's going to uneccesarily drive downtown deserves to pay high parking prices.

Suds
05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Agreed! Drink at Lamport Stadium in the bushes, eat a schwarma, walk to the game. Perfect.

posting the word shwarma in a thread will almost always bring Flats into the discussion :D

Darlofletch
05-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Boomcha - you're spot on with how you've gotten in the door, and how you have your gameday experience...

When you had the chance, you got your foot in the door with season tickets and bit the bullet on the price - THATS IMPORTANT - getting your foot in the door, being a SSH gives you first dibs (over non-ticket holders) at cheaper seats... Then, with your foot in the door were able to downgrade the $$$ to something better suited for you...

Now you're set, have your pints at the pub etc etc etc...

Sometimes people want everything right away... The perfect seats in the perfect pricepoint...

Sometimes you have to take 1-step back to take 2-steps forward...

Me personally, I had 1-season ticket (thanks to a RPB helping me out to become a SSH) that I was able to turn into a pair - but I would never had got that pair had I not been a SSH in the first place...

Carts...

Not necessarily, this season I went straight from gold list to light grey seasons. I initially purchased a marlies pack for season 2 towards the end of season 1, then for season three I was offered dark grey seasons, but instead I got another partial pack to maintain my place in line, then for season 4 got offered light greys. This was after ssh's who wanted to relocate or get extra seats and only got really expensive options.

If you're towards the bottom of gold or red lists, then yeah, might as well get the expensive ones and go from there, but I'd say top of the gold list is a better place to be than bottom of the platinum list.

And yeah the waiting list has nowhere near as many people with serious intentions on it as they'd like us to think, and they'd do well to be lowering the prices if they want to keep attendance and demand high.

jaxul
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Nobody should ever complain about parking prices because, really, no one should ever drive to a game. There's both the TTC and the GO -- if you live out of town, drive to the nearest public transit lot and take that.

Anyone who's going to uneccesarily drive downtown deserves to pay high parking prices.

I agree, the only thing we should complain about are ticket prices. All you REQUIRE to watch a TFC game is a ticket...the rest you can get around.

Don Julio
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Actually MLSE are great business people. In fact they are one of the best organizations in the world at what they do, from the business side. On the sporting side it's obviously much different, but I don't think you need to worry about them screwing up the pricing and demand structure. They'll be ok.

On the other hand, if you're just sad because it costs so much to support this team, then yeah, It sucks.

redcard
05-06-2010, 10:19 AM
i dont know if the demand has decreased due to quality of play...some of it has to do with quality of course...

but the not so full stadium i think is a direct result of the fair weather fans not attending...the whether in the three home games havent been the warmest...

night matches have always been had poor attendance, especially in the spring
rain games also have not had a full stadium

also with the economy (jobs wise) still not improving the casual fans are not interested in paying for the game day experience....

jays attendence is considerable down as well...

i dont think you can pin the lack of bums in seats and demand on one thing, its a combination of many things...

boban
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Actually MLSE are great business people. In fact they are one of the best organizations in the world at what they do, from the business side. On the sporting side it's obviously much different, but I don't think you need to worry about them screwing up the pricing and demand structure. They'll be ok.

On the other hand, if you're just sad because it costs so much to support this team, then yeah, It sucks.
Actually they aren't the best business people. They lucked into a lot of the success. And their business failures are exemplified in the Toronto Marlies.

McBrace
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM

You obviously don't live out of town, if you do, it's not far.

Time wise this doesn't make any sense.. Especially if you stuck fighting traffic during a week day game. Your lucky to make the kick off some days.

nascarguy
05-06-2010, 10:30 AM
yeah stop blowing up there dress

habstfc
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Why do some of you have this conspiracy theory with the waiting list. What does mlse have to gain with inflating a wating list. Whether it's 15,000 or 5,000 that's still a considerable size considering that's going to work out to about 10,000 tickets wanted, even if you only believe the 5,000 number, with the average person wanting 2 tickets.

My attempt to get season seats still hasn't happened. I joined the list ( I've been on the gold list from the start as I bought the friendly and NCC 4 pack) in june of '08 and haven't had any luck at full season's yet, and I'm willing to go as high as dark greys if I have to. After the '08 season I had to settle for the marlies pack which I took with some apprehension. The only full season's I was offered after that season were the tables along the east stands at 9,000 dollars a table, I declined as you might have guessed.

After last season, again no full seasons available at all, jokingly I asked about the tables and was told none of those were available either. The only full season I was offered for this season was a single in pretty much any price point, which I also declined as I'm not interested in going to 18 games by myself. I passed on the marlies pack this year. To stay on the list I bought a single partial pack in 105. I mentioned to the ticket rep when he called me this past december that I was surprised that I wasn't being offered full seasons because I read on the soccer forums that alot of them weren't renewing their seats. He kind of scoffed saying that they (people on the forums) are a very tiny portion of the waiting list and that it only took 3 days of appointments (I was day 6 of appointmenst I think) to sell all the seasons they had available this year. It kinda makes sense what he said, a lot of supporter's here and on big soccer think they are the be-all and end-all when it comes to ticket demand for this team. There are people out there (and a lot aren't on these forums) with money to spend, and dropping 2 or 3 grand on a pair of season's is nothing to them. I'm not criticizing you I just think that because ur friend can't get rid of a seat to a game doesn't mean interest is waning in this team, it just means it is to your friends.

Part of the experience, for me anyways, is coming to the games and buying a big beer and overpriced food and maybe a souvenir because that adds to the game day experience, is it shitty, yes it is but being entertained now days costs money. Whether its rock concerts or sporting events or theater tickets it costs money to do these things. Even when my wife and I want to go out for dinner and see a movie it costs us at least $120 for the night at least. Could we stay at home and eat macaroni and cheese before going to the movie and then sneaking pop in and buying only popcorn there, sure, but it's not the same as having a half decent dinner that you don't have to cook, and getting bid fountain drinks at the show.

James17930
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
You obviously don't live out of town, if you do, it's not far.

Time wise this doesn't make any sense.. Especially if you stuck fighting traffic during a week day game. Your lucky to make the kick off some days.

lol

the point of taking transit is that you don't have to fight traffic. Ah, North America . . .

You're in Kitchener? Drive to Hamilton, Burlington or Oakville and take the GO train. Problem solved.

saint2e
05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
lol

the point of taking transit is that you don't have to fight traffic. Ah, North America . . .

You're in Kitchener? Drive to Hamilton, Burlington or Oakville and take the GO train. Problem solved.

I've done this for a Maple Leafs game. You still drive an hour to get to Burlington or Oakville, and you pay $16.20 for an adult day pass to get into toronto and back.

I think I'd rather just drive straight in and pay for parking.

McBrace
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
lol

And How exactly does that save me money and time? What does the GoTrain from Say oakville cost per person?

Do you honeestly think that there is no traffic before any of these areas?

Pigfynn
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Ya, I pay $5 to park and can take up 5 other guys with me in my car. Not a big deal.

brad
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Why do some of you have this conspiracy theory with the waiting list. What does mlse have to gain with inflating a wating list. Whether it's 15,000 or 5,000 that's still a considerable size considering that's going to work out to about 10,000 tickets wanted, even if you only believe the 5,000 number, with the average person wanting 2 tickets.

As I mentioned in my previous post - it creates artificial demand.

That accomplishes two things.

For STH's - it creates an illusion of scarcity at renewal time. You may be waffling about it because of the quality on the field, the crackdowns in the stadium, the ridiculous price increases or some other reason. However, you'd better renew just in case, because if you don't, 15,000 people are ahead of you to get back in. I suspect this far from true, especially if you hold some of the pricier seats.

For the non-STH holders, it creates the illusion of demand, making the product appear a hotter ticket than it is.

If you don't believe this, why are Manchester United - one of the most in demand, hottest tickets in the sporting world doing the exact same thing?

McBrace
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Ya, I pay $5 to park and can take up 5 other guys with me in my car. Not a big deal.

I agree, but not everyone is aware that these places exist.

I just thought I would point out that public transit for out of towners is not as cheap or as easy as people had stated..

Now if they get this rail transit issue resolved, and we finally get a go train from Kitchener to Toronto every few hours like they are planning , then we're talking....

Lucky Strike
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
The point has already been made but yes, concessions are a joke. Even if they weren't expensive, they take way too long. I mean, you see people get up to go to get food before the half is finished and still come back late for the second half. I mean, what's the problem with the concession people? It's why I always eat/drink before or after games, it's cheaper, I don't miss any gameplay and it also means that you don't have to use the washroom which apparently takes an eternity too. I take public transit to go to the game and actually make it there on time. No attack meant on people but I'm always mystified as to how people can be late (or just not show up). You pay good money for your tickets, can't you plan a little ahead to make sure you can fully enjoy them?

Anyway, all of this are more reasons why they should fire Mo: poor team resulting in less demand and now a less-than-full stadium is sickening to see.

saint2e
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I agree, but not everyone is aware that these places exist.

I just thought I would point out that public transit for out of towners is not as cheap or as easy as people had stated..

Now if they get this rail transit issue resolved, and we finally get a go train from Kitchener to Toronto every few hours like they are planning , then we're talking....

I would love this for so many reasons...

McBrace
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM

You and me both brother...

Pigfynn
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Amen sir

James17930
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Okay, but then, if you're gonna live 2 hours from downtown and still buy season tickets, don't complain about the hassle and cost. You knew that going in (and I'm not saying anyone specifically -- I'm just saying).

Auzzy
05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
When considering dropping season's seats (or not picking them up in the first place) -- yeah the fact that more single game tickets are available now, and are often harder to get rid of than in previous years, are important factors. However, consider that full season's tickets are a still a significant discount compared with individual game prices (which equal partial pack per-game prices). So it all depends how often you go to games; whether you often need to get rid of one of a pair season's seats; if your seasons are in a (relatively) cheap or expensive section; etc......

Note that your place in a list depends on your original sign-up date for that list. So someone who has been waiting around for a couple of years, is more likely to be able to jump straight into light-grey seasons tickets. Also, what is offered to you, will often depend on what happened a day or an hour before -- i.e., someone just dropped a light-grey pair, or was successfully relocated out of those seats. There's always a bit of luck because of that: maybe someone on your same list, could only be offered dark greys the day before. Kind of like the relocation event for SSH's -- what happens in the previous group, and in your own group, is often more important than what happened a day or more before your event.

On the other hand, someone who has not been on the list as long (like me: Marlies pack & gold list since this year; red list since last year) may have to start at higher-priced full seasons when they are offered, just to get their foot in the door quicker -- and then try to move down to cheaper seasons seats in a following year.

But yeah, the experience of this year makes me much more wary of jumping at higher-priced seasons tickets if they are offered to me next season. Although I will go to almost every game personally, I don't always know about my 2nd seat, and it's apparently gotten very hard to get rid of expensive seats w/o eating much of the cost. Same goes for the 2-4 games a year I might not be able to make it.

BTW, does someone know: if purchasing single-game tickets at the BMO stadium ticket office, do you save the stupid Ticketmaster (in-)convenience charge that they levy on-line? Which BTW has apparently gone up from $7.50 to $8.50 PER TICKET this season!!! Since North End seats are available for many games, the ticket office may be worth it if trying to get seats for a large group for example. (E.g., I may need to get 7 """"cheap"""" tickets to one game.)

Carefree
05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Part of the experience, for me anyways, is coming to the games and buying a big beer and overpriced food and maybe a souvenir because that adds to the game day experience

Wow! Marketers must love you.

The fact is we in North america have been brainwashed to believe that eating bad, overpriced food and drinking bad, overpriced beer is an integral part of the gameday experience. Most North American sports are actually designed around this, with lots of breaks during play to give everyone an opportunity to go and refuel at the concession stands. But soccer is not like that. A game usually lasts less than two hours, as opposed to three or four for many other sports, and there is no break. It is designed to keep your attention on the field constantly.

Next time you go to a game just try this:
1) Take public transit or walk to the game.
2) Arrive at the stadium at least half an hour before kick-off. There are no valid excuses for arriving late unless going to the game was litterally a last-minute decision (which is rarely the case).
3) Don't buy any food. Games are rarely scheduled at meal times anyway, so hunger shouldn't be a real problem. The food is really bad anyway.
3) If you must buy beer at the stadium, buy one before the game starts. If you get there early (see point 2) this shouldn't be a problem. Between the national anthem and the half-time whistle you should be at your seat. (Emergency trips to the bathroom are the only acceptable exception.)
4) Stay until the end of the game. Pay attention to what goes on on the pitch. Sing along with the supporters. (This last one is optional, but it really helps.)
5) Go home or to a pub and eat a nice meal.

That's the gameday experience.

Dave67
05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
^
Trains from the West (Burlington, Oakville) arrive on the hour. Kickoff time for most TFC games. So the transit option leaves us either arriving 1 hour early for a 2 hour event or arriving after kickoff.

Trains home run hourly. Staying that extra 5 minutes often means waiting another hour for a train home.

It should be as simple as you describe, in reality it's not. Taking the train from the West can turn a 3- 4 hour event (driving) into a 6 hour event. 18 times a year.

McBrace
05-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Okay, but then, if you're gonna live 2 hours from downtown and still buy season tickets, don't complain about the hassle and cost. You knew that going in (and I'm not saying anyone specifically -- I'm just saying).

Whatever.. If people want to complain let them... Providing solutions that don't work was my point... Public Transit is simply not an option for all people...I wish it was, but it isn't.

Shaughno
05-06-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm only an hour outside of Toronto on a good day, but I personally don't spend anymore than $20 on a game day outside of my ticket cost obviously.

On average it breaks down like this:

$15 worth of gas Gas (there and back)
$5 parking (that's absolute max, night games are only $2)

I don't buy food there, because stadium food is generally SHIT and overpriced. I don't buy beer because it's generally shit and overpriced. I don't go to Shoeless very often because...

Well you get the point LOL but it's easy to maintain a relatively 'cheap' day out for TFC even if you come from out of town.

^
Trains from the West (Burlington, Oakville) arrive on the hour. Kickoff time for most TFC games. So the transit option leaves us either arriving 1 hour early for a 2 hour event or arriving after kickoff.

Trains home run hourly. Staying that extra 5 minutes often means waiting another hour for a train home.

It should be as simple as you describe, in reality it's not. Taking the train from the West can turn a 3- 4 hour event (driving) into a 6 hour event. 18 times a year.

Exactly the reason I've never once taken public transit for TFC.

habstfc
05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
No that's your game day experience you're describing. My game day experience is buying food if I'm hungry, drinking a big beer if I feel like it. I haven't been brainwashed to do anything, I don't buy hotdogs or sausages or any other item because society has been brainwashed, I do it cause I'm hungry or thirsty or whatever. I don't miss half the game due to lineups for anything, I buy my beer and food before the game starts. I didn't know there were rules when you could or couldn't leave your seat to go to the bathroom or get food. It seems some in here think there are.

p.s. GO HABS GO tonight.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-06-2010, 01:01 PM
^

I encounter the same problem in the east end. All eastbound Lakeshore trains depart Exhibition Station on the hour, which leaves me really tight for time at the end of a game. In fact, unless my train is a few minutes late, I usually have to wait an hour for the next train to arrive. For this reason, I have always preferred TFC games starting half past the hour.

Carefree
05-06-2010, 01:02 PM

So arrive an hour early. Go have a pint at one of the nearby pubs and hang out with fellow supporters, then walk over to the stadium.

See above, but in reverse order.

People like to tell themselves that they are really, really busy, but what are you running to when you leave early. What's wrong with making gameday a 6-hour event? It's not like it's coming at you at the last minute and you have to change any plans. Just don't make other plans on gameday.

It should be as simple as you describe, in reality it's not.

It really is. If it's more complicated for you, it's probably because you make it more complicated than it needs to be.

McBrace
05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm only an hour outside of Toronto on a good day, but I personally don't spend anymore than $20 on a game day outside of my ticket cost obviously.

On average it breaks down like this:

$15 worth of gas Gas (there and back)
$5 parking (that's absolute max, night games are only $2)

I don't buy food there, because stadium food is generally SHIT and overpriced. I don't buy beer because it's generally shit and overpriced. I don't go to Shoeless very often because...

Well you get the point LOL but it's easy to maintain a relatively 'cheap' day out for TFC even if you come from out of town.

Exactly the reason I've never once taken public transit for TFC.

So to Summarize are you Cheap or Smart...I personally think both!:D

This was my point on Public transit as a non option....It doesn't add up.

Dave67
05-06-2010, 01:05 PM
^^ I don't make it complicated at all. I drive. Oh and making a 2 hour event a 6 hour day? That's not my gameday experience. I'm there to watch a game, have a beer, have a laugh and go home.

Carefree
05-06-2010, 01:06 PM
No that's your game day experience you're describing. My game day experience is buying food if I'm hungry, drinking a big beer if I feel like it. I haven't been brainwashed to do anything, I don't buy hotdogs or sausages or any other item because society has been brainwashed, I do it cause I'm hungry or thirsty or whatever. I don't miss half the game due to lineups for anything, I buy my beer and food before the game starts. I didn't know there were rules when you could or couldn't leave your seat to go to the bathroom or get food. It seems some in here think there are.

p.s. GO HABS GO tonight.
I was simply suggesting an alternative for people who think they have to do things a certain way and then complain that it doesn't work for them. If you're happy with your experience, more power to you.

Dave67
05-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I was simply suggesting an alternative for people who think they have to do things a certain way and then complain that it doesn't work for them. If you're happy with your experience, more power to you.

You hit the nail on the head.

Suds
05-06-2010, 01:11 PM

p.s. GO HABS GO tonight.

Each to there own and everyone should enjoy the game as they see fit.

I think the OP's main point to this thread is what options MLSE would look at to drive revenue from other sources and keep the game-day ticket prices down. You would be a great candidate for that because you have no problem spending money at the game if you feel like it. At the end of the day I think we all know the team needs to make money.

What stands out to me is the fact a number of people are making a point to cut down costs everywhere they can because they feel the ticket price is high (compared to the product they are watching) plus shelling out for other things.

The majority of SSH's go to every game and when you add the costs outside of the ticket itself it adds up in a hurry. The tickets alone are too high IMO. MLSE can up the prices all they want for pop, chips, beer, food, and other crap. That's for the soccer mom's & dad's to blow money on at the one or two games a year they go to. But as evey team in the MLS has proven, go after that as your market and you can sound the death nell.

nfitz
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I encounter the same problem in the east end. All eastbound Lakeshore trains depart Exhibition Station on the hour, which leaves me really tight for time at the end of a game. In fact, unless my train is a few minutes late, I usually have to wait an hour for the next train to arrive. For this reason, I have always preferred TFC games starting half past the hour.Last year heading east, I didn't miss the GO train heading east once (though I didn't make all games, I made most) except one time, when the game ended late enough, that I stopped and watched the players leave the pitch, and used the washroom ... and then noticed the eastbound train leaving late as I walked to the streetcars. This year though, I haven't managed to catch an eastbound train yet after the game ... perhaps GO is running better service than they used too!

GO has promised to go to every 30-minute service this year ... so one day there is hope; though McGuinty seems to be breaking transit promises on a weekly basis of late.

Carefree
05-06-2010, 01:12 PM
My rant was more directed at the original poster and those who think along the same lines when he says:

He writes it as though that's the only way to experience a TFC game, and he's upset that he has to endure all that. As others have said, there are many other, cheaper ways to enjoy gameday.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Last year heading east, I didn't miss the GO train heading east once (though I didn't make all games, I made most) except one time, when the game ended late enough, that I stopped and watched the players leave the pitch, and used the washroom ... and then noticed the eastbound train leaving late as I walked to the streetcars. This year though, I haven't managed to catch an eastbound train yet after the game ... perhaps GO is running better service than they used too!

GO has promised to go to every 30-minute service this year ... so one day there is hope; though McGuinty seems to be breaking transit promises on a weekly basis of late.

I've got my fingers crossed on this. I don't mind a half-hour wait at all. That would save me from sprinting from my seat to the GO platform.

Shaughno
05-06-2010, 01:16 PM
So arrive an hour early. Go have a pint at one of the nearby pubs and hang out with fellow supporters, then walk over to the stadium.

See above, but in reverse order.

People like to tell themselves that they are really, really busy, but what are you running to when you leave early. What's wrong with making gameday a 6-hour event? It's not like it's coming at you at the last minute and you have to change any plans. Just don't make other plans on gameday.

It really is. If it's more complicated for you, it's probably because you make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Some people have a life outside of TFC that dictates their schedule. You know, work, kids, wife, etc.

Especially midweek games, they are a massive bitch to get to for out of towners. I personally have to leave work at least an hour early just to make the kickoff. Then by the time the game is over, it's 9:30-10pm and with the hour to hour and a half drive home, that basically puts you at midnight arrival at home unless by some miracle there is no traffic.

So to Summarize are you Cheap or Smart...I personally think both!:D

This was my point on Public transit as a non option....It doesn't add up.

Cheap.. yes. Smart... I'm almost surprised to hear that from you LOL

Dave67
05-06-2010, 01:17 PM
^^^
Yep. I've done the $5 parking and the cup of coffee route (rarely). It can be done and it keeps the cost down.

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
a few points (as I'm late to this thread and have been busy with work lately)

- if there was a $2 (refundable) charge to be on the waiting list, I bet it would be low. 4 digits, not 5.

- I don't go to the game (or joe's) for the beers or the food. I go to see friends and watch some soccer.

- I find that going to a TFC match is cheaper than going to a Raps game for me (not including ticket costs)

- a lot of people complain that 'north american sporting events' are just an excuse to sell you crap.
I agree BUT no one is forcing you to buy things. Sure I feel hosed when I pay $4 for a water at BMO,
but that's about all I will buy. Beyond that, it's your call on what you spend.

Like Shaughno, I spend about $20 per game (not including ticket) and that's usually
on water, a bite to eat at Island Foods before the game, and maybe a snack at BMO.

Shaughno
05-06-2010, 01:21 PM
a few points (as I'm late to this thread and have been busy with work lately)

- if there was a $2 (refundable) charge to be on the waiting list, I bet it would be low. 4 digits, not 5.

- I don't go to the game (or joe's) for the beers or the food. I go to see friends and watch some soccer.

- I find that going to a TFC match is cheaper than going to a Raps game for me (not including ticket costs)

- a lot of people complain that 'north american sporting events' are just an excuse to sell you crap.
I agree BUT no one is forcing you to buy things. Sure I feel hosed when I pay $4 for a water at BMO,
but that's about all I will buy. Beyond that, it's your call on what you spend.

Like Shaughno, I spend about $20 per game (not including ticket) and that's usually
on water, a bite to eat at Island Foods before the game, and maybe a snack at BMO.

aaaah dat batty bwoi knows where good tings be! :lol:

Fuckin... love.. that... place.

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 01:22 PM
oh... and yes..... the mid-range priced tickets (and the high end too) are way more expensive than what you get elsewhere in the world (and even in this league).

that's undeniable.

I feel that my 112 seats are a fair price for the money, but my prawn seats, are not.

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 01:23 PM

man.... who types patois like that? :D

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
oh... there's now an AMATO pizza right next to the Old Dufferin Gate.

yes... Amato has landed in parkdale!! The slices are a bit more cash than the rundown spots, but man are they good.

McBrace
05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Cheap.. yes. Smart... I'm almost surprised to hear that from you LOL

Smart on how you keep your costs down on game day... Outside that, is still up for discussion. ;)

Carefree
05-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Some people have a life outside of TFC that dictates their schedule. You know, work, kids, wife, etc.

Nobody "dictates" your schedule except for you. You always have a choice. My wife wanted us to go brunching with friends on Saturday afternoon, which would have made it hard for me to make the 4 o'clock kick-off for the Chicago game. So I said let's do it some other time. Simple. With a little planning everything is possible. If you feel it's too much effort sometimes, just sell your ticket.

Toronto Gunner
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I've never been late for a game ever. That's because I choose not to be late for games - I prioritize them accordingly. Also, I do not eat food or drink beer at games. I'm sick of the whining, if you can't afford to go to the games, don't. You can say that there were no cheaper seats available, but when I was at the relocation there were tons of pairs of seats in the mid and light gray sections. If you have more than 2 seats, it's a bit of an issue, but hey, you can always split your seats and go sit on the patio! Or sell your seats and buy north end tickets, there are tons of those available!

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM

Nobody "dictates" your schedule except for you. You always have a choice. My wife wanted us to go brunching with friends on Saturday afternoon, which would have made it hard for me to make the 4 o'clock kick-off for the Chicago game. So I said let's do it some other time. Simple. With a little planning everything is possible. If you feel it's too much effort sometimes, just sell your ticket.

you can work out a compromise with the wife over when to have brunch,
but it's a bit different when you're talking about a JOB. jobs don't always compromise.

sulfur
05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I've never been late for a game ever. That's because I choose not to be late for games - I prioritize them accordingly.
I've been late twice now... once was the fault of the TTC (one of the Internationals in year 2). I got stuck in a tunnel between Bloor and Wellesley for almost 45 minutes.

The other time, the train I was on hit someone coming into town. :)

Shockingly, I only missed the first 3 minutes of that game. Of course, Barrett scored the only goal of the game in that time. Doh!

maninb
05-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Well, I'll have to call bullshit on that ... I go to both regularly before and after games every year and have never been treated poorly. (in fact they could have easily been justified in cutting me off a few times :o)

In the first year Brazen Head were tentative no doubt. But since then they have been great. Foggy Dew - never an issue.

Should have qualified it....this was 2nd season....we were on our 1st pint, some lads from our section walked by and were singing, my mate and I said "Come on you Reds" ONCE in response...the manager came right up, grabbed our beers, and said, and I quote..."There's NO CHANTING here...We don't want to disturb our REGULARS"...and that was it...we were tossed....Never been back....Perhaps it has improved....but their prices are still SHITE from what I've heard

brad
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM

For a lot of people, I'd hazard the guess the answer is work and/or family commitments.

Shaughno
05-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Actually 'life' tends to dictate a lot of people's schedules and not all of it allows you to compromise.

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Actually 'life' tends to dictate a lot of people's schedules and not all of it allows you to compromise.

you can tivo life to play it back at a more convenient time right?

:rolleyes:

Don Julio
05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Actually they aren't the best business people. They lucked into a lot of the success. And their business failures are exemplified in the Toronto Marlies.

You think the Toronto Marlies are a failure? In what respect? Attendance? Guess what? They sold quite well in St. John's, but they moved them here because it was better for the parent club to have their call-ups a taxi ride away. It was a sports move, not a business move.

With TFC they had some luck (read: Beckham), but they would have grown the team eventually regardless.

boomcha
05-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Sweet, I was just thinking that I wanted some pizza before the Montreal game and how this area's pizza joints were lacking.

oh... there's now an AMATO pizza right next to the Old Dufferin Gate.

yes... Amato has landed in parkdale!! The slices are a bit more cash than the rundown spots, but man are they good.

Shaughno
05-06-2010, 02:56 PM
you can tivo life to play it back at a more convenient time right?

:rolleyes:

I can. :D I haven't found anyone else that can though...

brad
05-06-2010, 02:57 PM
but that

Take in an empty, disposable water bottle and fill it up at a water fountain. That's what I do.

Carefree
05-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Ah yes, the good old "I have a life" excuse. It can always be relied upon to justify just about anything.

Auzzy
05-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Does someone know: if purchasing single-game tickets at the BMO stadium ticket office, do you save the Ticketmaster convenience charge that they levy on-line? Which BTW has apparently gone up from $7.50 to $8.50 PER TICKET this season!

Shaughno
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Ah yes, the good old "I have a life" excuse. It can always be relied upon to justify just about anything.

Ahhh the good ol' "holier than thou" attitude. :rolleyes:

shaggingscot
05-06-2010, 03:11 PM

Just wondering, is there anything that you might excuse as being a valid reason for missing a match?

McBrace
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Just wondering, is there anything that you might excuse as being a valid reason for missing a match?

I missed one cause I was leaving to get Married in Europe... Does that count?:rolleyes:

superstar1976
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM

I disagree. I live in Milton, and the Go Train is like $18 per person to Exhibition return. Drive to the nearest public transit lot? Thanks, I'll pass and would rather stay home than try to use our inefficient/expensive transit system.

mazinn
05-06-2010, 03:25 PM
I once bought my away game for the Columbus game on line, it was a last minute mind changing thing, ever since i always get an e-mail from them before every game they play, for $80 that what you get :
4 tickets ( 2 adults 2 kids)
4 hot dogs
4 cold drinks
2 mini soccer balls for the kids
I think at this price is really reasnable concidering that you want to have a family quality time and enjoy a soccer game at the same time, after all it is an MLS game too but more offodable.
Ps. The Crews were MLS Champions

Suds
Should have qualified it....this was 2nd season....we were on our 1st pint, some lads from our section walked by and were singing, my mate and I said "Come on you Reds" ONCE in response...the manager came right up, grabbed our beers, and said, and I quote..."There's NO CHANTING here...We don't want to disturb our REGULARS"...and that was it...we were tossed....Never been back....Perhaps it has improved....but their prices are still SHITE from what I've heard

haha ... yeah, they're not down with the chanting that's for sure

Pigfynn
I missed one cause I was leaving to get Married in Europe... Does that count?:rolleyes:

PART TIME SUPPORTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rocker
05-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I once bought my away game for the Columbus game on line, it was a last minute mind changing thing, ever since i always get an e-mail from them before every game they play, for $80 that what you get :
4 tickets ( 2 adults 2 kids)
4 hot dogs
4 cold drinks
2 mini soccer balls for the kids
I think at this price is really reasnable concidering that you want to have a family quality time and enjoy a soccer game at the same time, after all it is an MLS game too but more offodable.
Ps. The Crews were MLS Champions

but it's Columbus.. so you get cheaper prices to games, but then after you have to live in Columbus. ;)

Everything is more expensive in Toronto... dinner at a restaurant downtown, taking the bus, gas...
I go out with my girlfriend to a nice restaurant on Front every week and I spend $80-100 on that one dinner, with wine. I'd rather be at a TFC game.

A more accurate comparison is to NYRB, which is 20 minutes from one of the biggest, most expensive cities in the world, and ticket prices and beer prices are similar to Toronto.

nfitz
05-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Which BTW has apparently gone up from $7.50 to $8.50 PER TICKET this season!oh ... so it has ... $8.25 ... though that's not the convenience charge ... the convenience charge is the extra $2.50 (per order) - which is waived at the box office or a ticketmaster office. I don't think they waive the $8.25 at the stadium ... but I've never bought directly from the ticket office.

McBrace
05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
PART TIME SUPPORTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey aren't you the guy that left a match early last year?:poke:

:dita:

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Ahhh the good ol' "holier than thou" attitude. :rolleyes:

ahhh.... the old comment followed by a smiley face trick. :hat:

Pigfynn
05-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey aren't you the guy that left a match early last year?:poke:

:dita:

:out:

JonO
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
A more accurate comparison is to NYRB, which is 20 minutes from one of the biggest, most expensive cities in the world, and ticket prices and beer prices are similar to Toronto.
Actually that's not true.

The equivalent of the club seats in NY are more expense (but include complimentary food and parking)
The equivalent of reds, dark greys and greys in NY are half of what TFC charge
The equivalent of light greys and supporters is about the same.

Make no mistake about it, TFC are charging significantly more than any other team in MLS.

Shaughno
05-06-2010, 03:51 PM
ahhh.... the old comment followed by a smiley face trick. :hat:

Fuck you Sparky! :drinking:

nfitz
05-06-2010, 03:59 PM

The equivalent of the club seats in NY are more expense (but include complimentary food and parking)
The equivalent of light greys and supporters is about the same.How much do you think tickets would cost at NY if they were sold out of season tickets?

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 04:04 PM

you know you're white, right? :michael:

Carefree
05-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I disagree. I live in Milton, and the Go Train is like $18 per person to Exhibition return. Drive to the nearest public transit lot? Thanks, I'll pass and would rather stay home than try to use our inefficient/expensive transit system.
Why don't you support your local team, Milltown FC, you glory hunter!!! (I kid of course)

When I drive to a game I actually prefer to park in the Liberty village area. It's a lot cheaper (I paid five bucks for the Montreal game), there are lots of pubs/restaurants around if you want to grab a bite/pint before the game, and I really enjoy the 10-minute walk to the stadium. You're surrounded by fellow supporters and the energy pumps you up ahead of the game, which to me really adds to the enjoyment.

THA BUTCHA
05-06-2010, 04:17 PM
LOL... Our gameday expeirence cant be beat.

Just hanging with Nelson is worth the price of addmission.

mazinn
05-06-2010, 04:19 PM
How much do you think tickets would cost at NY if they were sold out of season tickets?
You really think all TFC tickets are sold out on good faith?
Explain how can scalpers get their hand on books of tickets and sell them outside BMO?
I am sure some one at ticket master is playing games and MLSE just loves it.....yeh SOLD OUT

boomcha
05-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I see your problem right here. :)

I disagree. I live in Milton, and the Go Train is like $18 per person to Exhibition return.

rocker
05-06-2010, 04:35 PM

The equivalent of light greys and supporters is about the same.

Make no mistake about it, TFC are charging significantly more than any other team in MLS.

You just proved my point... Their prices are "similar" to TFC's. I didn't say "equal". You just showed that 3 of their 7 categories of pricing are either higher or the same as TFC's. If you average their pricing categories compared to TFC's, TFC's average out about $860 while NYRB's average out to about $790.

Interesting fact: they have 3300 more seats to spread out the costs. By my calculation, if they filled RBA (25000 tickets sold) they would make *more per game* than TFC does in ticket revenue.

anyhow, my point (if you read back in the thread) was to not compare NY to Toronto but to suggest that Columbus's prices are low because Columbus is not a "big city" like NY and Toronto.

Dave67
05-06-2010, 06:32 PM
LOL... Our gameday expeirence cant be beat.

Just hanging with Nelson is worth the price of addmission.

Yep - for us in middle 110 it's a great day out. Blame it on the turf...

dal524
05-06-2010, 06:38 PM
hey guys i have a question related to this thread. i contacted my ticket rep (who shall remain nameless after this poor example of customer service) about 2 weeks ago by email and have yet to receive a response. what is the value we pay per season seat in the south stands. i know the ticket says 26 but how much does it cost us out of the 300 something it was per seat. i dont see this listed on the tfc site this year as it was last year and year b4, unless im blind. i remember last year the 23 cost us 14 and the "premium games" which were about mid 30s also was 14. any thoughts?

Dave67
05-06-2010, 06:41 PM
^ I think it depends on when you became a STH. If you sign in to account manager and (I think) start the process to transfer a ticket (don't complete process) it will tell you your price (I think).

dal524
05-06-2010, 06:43 PM
cool thanks, says $17 bucks fyi for anyone else who was wondering.

dal524
05-06-2010, 06:47 PM
just to add to that, i dont really think you can argue that $17 bucks is a great deal to watch some decent football, but i do agree a section like 109 for example (which i paid almost 2k back in season 2 when i had them) is definitely too much for an mls game. it wasnt too easy to sell those in season 2, i feel sorry for ppl trying to sell them now.

Dave67
05-06-2010, 06:52 PM
My $40 regular game seats and $51 premium (ba hahahaha) seats really only cost me $33. I wish they would just put $33 on them. At my real price of $66 a pair these are still a decent deal. When I look at the printed ticket price I can convince myself I'm getting ripped off :)

superstar1976
05-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Why don't you support your local team, Milltown FC, you glory hunter!!! (I kid of course)

When I drive to a game I actually prefer to park in the Liberty village area. It's a lot cheaper (I paid five bucks for the Montreal game), there are lots of pubs/restaurants around if you want to grab a bite/pint before the game, and I really enjoy the 10-minute walk to the stadium. You're surrounded by fellow supporters and the energy pumps you up ahead of the game, which to me really adds to the enjoyment.

I will try that....where abouts is that?

superstar1976
05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
A lot of great points of view and replies. I see a lot of people feel the way I do about my original post.

Make no mistake, I enjoy TFC even if the product is sub-par, I believe in supporting your local team, and think we have the beginnings of something special and sustainable.

My point initally though is that the price point has to be appropriate for the product. The gameday experience is just mine and I recognize that there are other ways to make it cheaper however I've always associated being at the event and enjoying some of the concessions. I've taken the GO Train to the game, and frankly others said it already, waiting for the train that unconviently takes a long time, not to mention $18/ticket to ride it, is not a viable option for me.

That said, I think I will try and park somewhere else (open to suggestions) and maybe have a bite before going to the game.

My other point was about the waiting list, but I think others may have had a similar experience so I won't belabour the point.

I wanted tickets in the south end and still do, but I see I can get them quite easily without owning season tickets. Will be interesting come renewal time

JonO
05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
You just proved my point... Their prices are "similar" to TFC's. I didn't say "equal". You just showed that 3 of their 7 categories of pricing are either higher or the same as TFC's. If you average their pricing categories compared to TFC's, TFC's average out about $860 while NYRB's average out to about $790.

Interesting fact: they have 3300 more seats to spread out the costs. By my calculation, if they filled RBA (25000 tickets sold) they would make *more per game* than TFC does in ticket revenue.

anyhow, my point (if you read back in the thread) was to not compare NY to Toronto but to suggest that Columbus's prices are low because Columbus is not a "big city" like NY and Toronto.
And my point is that even a city like NY is significantly cheaper than TO. The cheapest seats are slightly cheaper (about 10-15% of our costs). The next bunch are about 50% cheaper than our costs. The only seats that are more expensive are the club seats.

While you are averaging out the costs, why don't you also compare the cost of our tin can with RBA.

My point is not to criticize the FO but merely to point out that season tickets in the Toronto will cost you more than pretty much anywhere else (including LA, Chicago and NY) in the MLS (perhaps with exception of the supporters' section).

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I believe in supporting your local team, and think we have the beginnings of something special and sustainable.

that's what it all comes down to.

I truly believe that one day Toronto FC is going to be a dominant team in this league. Not this year, and probably not next year, but it IS going to happen, and when it does, I hope that we can all look back at these 'dark ages' as what they are - paying our dues. If TFC won in the first year it would be easy to support them. Support isn't supposed to be easy. When they finally do start winning, it will make our dedication that much more worth it.

superstar1976
05-06-2010, 08:38 PM
And my point is that even a city like NY is significantly cheaper than TO. The cheapest seats are slightly cheaper (about 10-15% of our costs). The next bunch are about 50% cheaper than our costs. The only seats that are more expensive are the club seats.

While you are averaging out the costs, why don't you also compare the cost of our tin can with RBA.

My point is not to criticize the FO but merely to point out that season tickets in the Toronto will cost you more than pretty much anywhere else (including LA, Chicago and NY) in the MLS (perhaps with exception of the supporters' section).

And, at the end of the day, I have no problem with a company wanting to maximize revenue........I just think that they are risking the entire production with how they have handled this and pushed the limits too far. As to comparing RBA prices with BMO, not sure its a fair comparison really as cost of living is much higher in NY than TP.......so frankly any price points that are similar is still too much for Toronto. Why not compare to England where everything is more expensive...yet to see Man United the year they last won the Champions league and having the best player(s) in the world, I was able to do so for 30 pound, 16 rows from the field. That is a relevant comparison also.

Parkdale
05-06-2010, 08:46 PM
........I just think that they are risking the entire production with how they have handled this and pushed the limits too far.

many, many people would agree with that (myself included).

When the team first launched, the tickets were undervalued.
The owners raised prices every year, BUT the on field product
stayed at an expansion club level - and we're still there.
so now to use an expression I've stolen from Mikey:

We're paying prem league prices for pub league product.

something has got to even out before long, and I personally
hope it's the quality of the game, because I have zero problem
paying for a quality product.

superstar1976
05-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Agreed. Not sure though we can expect the quality of the product to be anywhere near top leagues though, best we can hope for is to have a good team at the current level the league is at (I'm sure that is what you meant). I think it best to keep ticket prices down and ensure bums are in the seats, because when the bums are there, sponsors are paying, people are buying merchandise, food, etc, and the atmosphere continues to be what seperates a TFC game from any other in this city.

Another poster said it best.....have a stadium that fits 30k fans with prices from $10-$30/ticket. That is the way to go.

boban
05-06-2010, 09:47 PM

But the entire league is not premier league - not even close.
Yeah we could get a few more wins and what not, but the quality of play will take another 10 years (at least) to improve to where we pay at current prices.
And tickets in year one were not undervalued - they were just about right. This league is nowhere near the top 12 in the world - but prices put it well into the top 10.

JonO
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
But you can't compare MLS with those leagues because the amount of TV money they make basically subsidizes their ticket costs. A much more valid comparison is between teams in the same league. My 2c

James17930
05-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Something else that makes a lot of these sorts of complaints invalid (i.e. I could see a Premiership game for the same price):

No you couldn't because you don't live in England. You live in Toronto/the GTA, and as such, TFC is the only game in town.

Take it over leave it.

I fully get that it's too pricey for some people now. That's fine. But if so, then give up your seasons and stop moaning about it. Get tickets to the certain games you want to go to from the ticket trader and save a fortune.

Easy peasy.

nfitz
05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
You really think all TFC tickets are sold out on good faith?
Explain how can scalpers get their hand on books of tickets and sell them outside BMO?
I am sure some one at ticket master is playing games and MLSE just loves it.....yeh SOLD OUTWhat does that have to do with anything. Scalping is simply a function of demand.

Here's a question. How many scalpers do you find in Dallas before a game?

brad
05-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I wanted tickets in the south end and still do, but I see I can get them quite easily without owning season tickets. Will be interesting come renewal time

Keep in mind, this very well may change if the team starts to win.

brad
05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Another poster said it best.....have a stadium that fits 30k fans with prices from $10-$30/ticket. That is the way to go.

I honestly have my doubts that cheap tickets and a crap team will fill the stadium. We need to start winning, making the playoffs, and we need to do it with an entertaining brand of football. Grinding out lucky results against expansion teams isn't going to cut it.

brad
05-07-2010, 07:51 AM
But you can't compare MLS with those leagues because the amount of TV money they make basically subsidizes their ticket costs.

And the fact that a lot of those teams have 2, 3 or even 4 times the number of people in their stadiums week in week out, and global merchandising sales, ect...

A much more valid comparison is between teams in the same league. My 2c

You have to be careful, even with that. As mentioned up thread, you can't compare the price of any entertainment with a place like Columbus and Toronto.

When you look at a more apt comparison, say, New York, you have to factor in that they struggle to fill their stadium, we don't (yet). They are going to price accordingly.

trane
05-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Bottom line for me too. I do not care if we pay more then any other club in the MLS. We have a different economic reality, not just overall economic health, but supply demand for the particullar product, ( which I do not is as great as the MLSE would have us believe, but never the less superior to other MLS markets), HOWEVER, we should be getting a better product for such prices.

mazinn
05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
What does that have to do with anything. Scalping is simply a function of demand.

Here's a question. How many scalpers do you find in Dallas before a game?

Sorry mate, never been to Dallas so i cant answer your question.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
For some reason you sound like a scalper your self

AL-MO
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
whoa whoa....nfitz is no scalper.

Parkdale
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
yeah, I know that we're never getting prem league quality, and I know the MLS is the only game in town. Believe me, I've been making that same point for years.

BUT what we are getting is sub-MLS quality games (saying that we're finishing near the bottom of the MLS for the past 3 seasons) and yet we're paying top dollar for it. If there's a certain 'MLS Quality' that is the average of all the teams, we're well below that average. We should at least be at the median to justify the expense.

mazinn
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
whoa whoa....nfitz is no scalper.

Hey Almo
Now i see nfitz hired as a lawyer

rocker
05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Something else that makes a lot of these sorts of complaints invalid (i.e. I could see a Premiership game for the same price):

No you couldn't because you don't live in England. You live in Toronto/the GTA, and as such, TFC is the only game in town.

Take it over leave it.

I fully get that it's too pricey for some people now. That's fine. But if so, then give up your seasons and stop moaning about it. Get tickets to the certain games you want to go to from the ticket trader and save a fortune.

Easy peasy.

Yup! This makes sense.

One of the things I want to draw attention to in your post is value + season's.

1) Value -- value is not inherent. There's no inherent reason TFC tickets should be $50... or $10, or ten cents. An individual can say "I think ST's are too expensive *for me* because I make $40K and have 2 kids etc etc." but to say that season tickets are inherently overvalued (that is, to say they are overvalued for all people) misunderstands the notion of value. It's like saying bread cost 5 cents in Pakistan but $3 here, so we are overpaying for bread. Goods do not have any correct price, just what people are willing to pay for it.

2) Season's -- season's tickets are a major commitment and not for everyone. It's like buying concert tickets for 18 shows at the ACC up front in one package. I doubt anybody here would do such a thing, paying $1900 to see 18 rock shows or 18 Justin Bieber concerts or whatever. If the price becomes a problem, then split the tickets with a friend or god forbid, watch on TV! I love the Raps but never go to the games.... I'm a big fan ... on TV. A lot of people are big fans of Man U without having ever set foot in Manchester... and religiously watch and support watching on TV at a fraction of the cost.

Nomad
05-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Paul Beirne stated last year that Toronto FC could raise ticket prices by 20% and still sell out....then he went ahead and did it. I'd be shocked if there wasn't another price increase.

I do have a limit to the amount i will spend on loyalty and getting little in return besides smug marketing. When the time comes it will be away matches only.

menefreghista
05-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Paul Beirne stated last year that Toronto FC could raise ticket prices by 20% and still sell out....then he went ahead and did it. I'd be shocked if there wasn't another price increase.

I do have a limit to the amount i will spend on loyalty and getting little in return besides smug marketing. When the time comes it will be away matches only.

I have a feeling they may not increase the expensive seats. Or if they do it will be in the 1-5% range.

But the 2 or 3 lowest price levels will go up for sure. This might be the off season where south end tickets double in price from season one.

JonO
05-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I have a feeling they may not increase the expensive seats. Or if they do it will be in the 1-5% range.

But the 2 or 3 lowest price levels will go up for sure. This might be the off season where south end tickets double in price from season one.
Like I posted before, the expensive seats are twice the price they are pretty much everywhere else. I really hope they don't raise prices too much because I would have to seriously consider renewing.

Oh and I know the weather has been surprisingly crap, but the interest so far this year is wayyyyyy down.... If they get people relocating out of the reds, they will have a very tough time selling them (imho)

Edit: the only good thing is that you know the scalpers have to be hurting ;)

jaxul
05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
^

I have never seen so many posts on craigslist for face valuer or under...at least 20 new ads per day (granted some people post the same pair every day). People who really want to go to the games have no more excuse now...single game tickets are very affordable and you can get them pretty much anywhere in the stadium...even 112-113. Somewhat worrisome I must admit.

nfitz
05-07-2010, 04:34 PM
For some reason you sound like a scalper your selfUm ... no ... (though if I could interest you in some medium-greys for tomorrow's game ... with 5-degrees and 50-80 km/hr winds and rain forecast, I really am not sure my 2-year old is going to be happy ...).

My point was merely that we only have scalpers because of a lack of ticket availability - and that if the stands became empty, then there wouldn't be scalpers.

superstar1976
05-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Take it over leave it.

Easy peasy.
Hi James. I don't think that "take it or leave it" is the right approach or attitude. It is our only "football" game in town, but not the only "game" in town. So frankly, we have a right and obligation to voice our opinions to make it better for everyone involved. I think the comparison with the premiership is over the cost, and the quality you are seeing for that cost. Even if we had the best team in the league, cost needs be in line with the level, although supply and demand will skew that somewhat surely.

superstar1976
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Bottom line for me too. I do not care if we pay more then any other club in the MLS. We have a different economic reality, not just overall economic health, but supply demand for the particullar product, ( which I do not is as great as the MLSE would have us believe, but never the less superior to other MLS markets), HOWEVER, we should be getting a better product for such prices.

Now, hold on here. That is the premise for my argument.....do we really have a supply demand for this product? While I agree its there, I think its peaked, and I believe that they are pushing it too far. They risk alienating the fans by pricing he regular football fan out, and that could derail all their success.

While agree, a competitive team could in fact change the landscape, reasonable prices will sustain the team going forward into the future.

Alonso
05-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Now, hold on here. That is the premise for my argument.....do we really have a supply demand for this product? While I agree its there, I think its peaked, and I believe that they are pushing it too far. They risk alienating the fans by pricing he regular football fan out, and that could derail all their success.

While agree, a competitive team could in fact change the landscape, reasonable prices will sustain the team going forward into the future.

Agreed, the base isn't there like the leafs or raptors... if they push the prices anymore (and I mean ANY more even a few percentage points) they're going to start seeing more and more empty seats.

stucatz
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
...no wonder prices are going up because you fucks are refilling bottled water and sneaking in canned tune for snacks! Here is my schedule...3 large beers, 2 sausages ( gate 107 the best), pizza slice, popcorn, and a shit after the game, period. You pussies want to save money than why not stay at home and eat the meatloaf you and your wife cooked together and watch the game on the tube with the kids!...

Azerban
05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
...no wonder prices are going up because you fucks are refilling bottled water and sneaking in canned tune for snacks! Here is my schedule...3 large beers, 2 sausages ( gate 107 the best), pizza slice, popcorn, and a shit after the game, period. You pussies want to save money than why not stay at home and eat the meatloaf you and your wife cooked together and watch the game on the tube with the kids!...

you have tapeworms please seek medical help immediately

nfitz
05-09-2010, 09:51 PM
...no wonder prices are going up because you fucks are refilling bottled water and sneaking in canned tune for snacks! Here is my schedule...3 large beers, 2 sausages ( gate 107 the best), pizza slice, popcorn, and a shit after the game, period. You pussies want to save money than why not stay at home and eat the meatloaf you and your wife cooked together and watch the game on the tube with the kids!...Oh there's a thought ... keep the urinals free, but put a $5 charge on the toilets.

Voodooman
05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Ugh ive been waiting for good season seats for 3 years...3 years straight getting that Marlies/TFC pack and sitting at 110 for 6 games. Wish i can just get the seats i have now.

GBV
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
^

I have never seen so many posts on craigslist for face valuer or under...at least 20 new ads per day (granted some people post the same pair every day). People who really want to go to the games have no more excuse now...single game tickets are very affordable and you can get them pretty much anywhere in the stadium...even 112-113. Somewhat worrisome I must admit.

There were two guys on the patio at the Liberty Saturday, about an hour before the game, offering their two $48 tickets for $10 each.
And did same the whole walk to the game.
They ate them.

Dave67
05-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Two cops walked by me Saturday.

One cop to the other "I said to him are you scalping tickets?"
Cop #2 "what did he say?"
Cop #1 "Scalping? I can't give these damn things away"

SmokedPanda
05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
i love this thread

ag futbol
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
And, at the end of the day, I have no problem with a company wanting to maximize revenue........I just think that they are risking the entire production with how they have handled this and pushed the limits too far.
I agree with this. In many ways MLSE are masters of pushing the fan all the way to the edge where they are "almost" ready to leave but don't walk away.

I've always contended that in the long run this will be a serious problem, for all their teams, especially if they get some direct competition (like a second NHL team).

I've been a serious raptors fan for quite some time (I watched 70+ games for probably 10 years straight). Losing seasons all over the place, trying to find some redeeming value... But this year for the first time I cut down a lot of the number of outings to the ACC because the first thought in my mind was "it's not worth it" and overall i just enjoyed the games more at home considering the financial damage of going more regularly. Take that a step further and you have people who no longer go to games and got tired of the product on TV, they are effectively no longer customers.

MLSE is going do eventually hit the wall hard when they find out it's incredibly hard to regain customers they've lost compared to keeping good relations with the ones they have. And that has to exist on more than doing JUST BARELY enough every year to prevent people from walking away.

SmokedPanda
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
for the past 2 years i have stopped going back to Toronto to watch the Leafs. Just like you AG i find that "it's not worth it"

I made an exception last year for Doug Gilmour night and this years final Leafs and habs game with my montreal buddies.

I honestly believe MLSE is feeling the hit on the decrease of revenue for Leafs games, "the last minute club" says it all. Even though they are "sold out" at the ACC the seats are empty and beer sales and 15$ prime rib sandwich sales are down as well just like at BMO field

canadian_bhoy
05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I know that Brian Burke is doing his best to turn the leafs into a winner and I'm confident that it might happen. But...I'm on the brink.

The leafs we see today are not the ones that I remember as a kid. It's not the team (or crowd) that made them part of the lifeblood of this city.

It's not like Ballard wasn't a snake (he was), but the leafs just aren't what they once were. The pathetic attempt to lay claim to being canada's team just shows how out of touch people down at the mother ship really are.

I think I may be done. I think I may be done with the leafs.

Maybe it's time I stopped pretending that the hockey sweater wasn't my favorite book as a kid...it was.

JonO
05-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Even though they are "sold out" at the ACC the seats are empty and beer sales and 15$ prime rib sandwich sales are down as well just like at BMO field
I'd go to the game just for that sandwich... Kinda sad, but deliciously true...

Suds
05-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I know that Brian Burke is doing his best to turn the leafs into a winner and I'm confident that it might happen. But...I'm on the brink.

The leafs we see today are not the ones that I remember as a kid. It's not the team (or crowd) that made them part of the lifeblood of this city.

It's not like Ballard wasn't a snake (he was), but the leafs just aren't what they once were. The pathetic attempt to lay claim to being canada's team just shows how out of touch people down at the mother ship really are.

I think I may be done. I think I may be done with the leafs.

Maybe it's time I stopped pretending that the hockey sweater wasn't my favorite book as a kid...it was.

This past weekend I was talking with a couple friends, one owns a pair of seasons for the Leafs (for over 10 years) and the other has a set of 4 platinum seats for the Raptors (since team inception). Both are seriously considering dropping them because of the crap product and constant raising of prices.

Years of constantly feeling like they're being gouged has taken it's toll and just not enjoying it anymore.

On a side note, the company I work is taking about dropping their box at the ACC. They don't feel they get the value back in taking clients to games for the cost they lay out. This may all be anecdotal, but I seem to be hearing it more often.

As I noted, I'm going to be dropping my extra seats when I renew next year. I can't find anyone to go to most game anymore.

SmokedPanda
05-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd go to the game just for that sandwich... Kinda sad, but deliciously true...

2 years ago i bought three extra prime rib sandwiches to bring back to montreal after eating one at the game..... 60$ on 4 sandwiches, i hope my old teachers from Clinton PS read this!

smoked meat sucks! Bitondo's or San Fran's steak sandwich or a ACC prime rib sandwich taste way better!

JonO
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I go to a few Raptor's games a year and make sure to visit Jimmy for a sandwich. The man is a carving master. Toss on some horseradish-mayo and the spices and I am beginning to drool a little

Sorry to derail the thread... I think I have made my point on this for the last few years and I finally feel like I am at the breaking point Gonna be a real tough decision come renewal time...

jazzy
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
2 years ago i bought three extra prime rib sandwiches to bring back to montreal after eating one at the game..... 60$ on 4 sandwiches, i hope my old teachers from Clinton PS read this!

smoked meat sucks! Bitondo's or San Fran's steak sandwich or a ACC prime rib sandwich taste way better!

Bitondo's slice with a cup $5.00........hmmm

superstar1976
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I can relate on the Leafs. I was one of those hardcore too, couldn't afford to attend regularly but at least 1-2 games a year, and for the last few years now I completely turned them off. This year, I kind of got interested only to feel the same disappointment again.

Anyways, I think this thread's life is done, and sure hope MLSE representitives have read it. Had a great time at the game on Saturday.

grizzle
05-11-2010, 01:03 AM
On the other hand, someone who has not been on the list as long (like me: Marlies pack & gold list since this year; red list since last year) may have to start at higher-priced full seasons when they are offered, just to get their foot in the door quicker -- and then try to move down to cheaper seasons seats in a following year.

But yeah, the experience of this year makes me much more wary of jumping at higher-priced seasons tickets if they are offered to me next season. Although I will go to almost every game personally, I don't always know about my 2nd seat, and it's apparently gotten very hard to get rid of expensive seats w/o eating much of the cost. Same goes for the 2-4 games a year I might not be able to make it.

I am in the same boat with the gold list hoping to get some cheaper season's next year. If all I get offered is the expensive seats there is no way I will buy them because I prefer sitting in the supporter sections and its not hard to find tickets on here, and the prices are just ridiculous on some of the tickets. Also, I won't be getting another ransom pack as that was a complete waste of money on those Marlies tickets. I hope MLSE does the right thing, but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully they don't kill the goose that is laying them those golden eggs.

ag futbol
05-11-2010, 04:47 PM

I'm not sure about how you feel about the leafs prices (hockey has always been the #1 game in town with demand to match) but with the raptors I've always felt it's more than just having the odd good season.

The team always seems to make the top10 in the NBA fan cost index (with the exception being the most recent year where the team was 15th probably due to fx rates at the time) and to me if you consistently want to charge a top10 price, I want a top 10 product.

It's not enough to occasionally put a playoff team out there, what we should be getting is something a cut above. On the flip side, if prices were low and the product is what it is currently, I'd certainly still be pissed about not winning but I'd definitely be more open to going to games as there's value to it.

Where they are right now is just the worst of both worlds and on average that seems to be what they like to deliver.