PDA

View Full Version : Why are they still practicing indoors... and on turf??

mastermixer
05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
In his media scrum today Preki didn't seem too happy about having to practice all week indoors on the turf. After going through all the trouble of getting natural grass for BMO why would they go backwards and keep them on the shitty turf for the all the training? There must be a thousand grass fields in the GTA.

tfc2007
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Most grass fields you can not use until the 2nd week of may.

TheRenter
05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
fyi, lots of footy clubs with grass pitches practice on turf

Auzzy
05-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I have a hard time believing that they can't find a single good grass field in the GTA that's available now, at least for a few of the practices. If 2nd week of May is the normal time, then this year it should be possible before that, due to the early spring, and a very dry and warm April.

Broadview
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
There's lots of nice grass all around my building. They could use that if they want.

Cowboy905
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
There's lots of nice grass all around my building. They could use that if they want.

you in that Manulife building on Bloor? that's the only nice grass i can think of around a building. Damn they have nice grass there!

Cashcleaner
05-04-2010, 07:41 PM
I have a hard time believing that they can't find a single good grass field in the GTA that's available now, at least for a few of the practices. If 2nd week of May is the normal time, then this year it should be possible before that, due to the early spring, and a very dry and warm April.

Likewise. All my neighbours are sporting good lawns. And the same goes for the nearby parks and playing fields. Is it a case that there are problems at the practise pitches the club normally uses?

Red Rat
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Why are outdoor swimming pools not open yet?

rocker
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
any updates on a TFC practice facility???

CoachGT
05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Many teams practice on turf even though they play on grass. San Jose, for one. Much easier to maintain, and there are some half decent turf fields around that haven't been played to death like BMO was.

Canary Canuck
05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
This club neeeeeeeds a practice facility! For the sake of the academy and the health of the senior players.

ag futbol
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
This club neeeeeeeds a practice facility! For the sake of the academy and the health of the senior players.
I think i just found the reason why we can't win this year.

In all seriousness it would be great to have, but in MLS terms it's asking for your gold plated soother.

Cashcleaner
05-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Why are outdoor swimming pools not open yet?

Too cold for swimming. Just perfect for playing soccer outdoors, though.

jazzy
05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
just saw DeRo going into a practice I assume at BMO field,? now at 9:15 AM......I was 2 secs from grabbing something for him to sign......a bus was there though......

James17930
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Paul B wrote something on the board a while ago that they are looking for a location to either practice on grass or else build their own facility. He said the problem was that there isn't much in close vicinity of BMO, which I assume is desired because all their equipment and offices are there.

But remember, he said they are looking.

I had an idea -- what about on the Islands?

H Bomb
05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Paul B wrote something on the board a while ago that they are looking for a location to either practice on grass or else build their own facility. He said the problem was that there isn't much in close vicinity of BMO, which I assume is desired because all their equipment and offices are there.

But remember, he said they are looking.

I had an idea -- what about on the Islands?

The fo talking up their good intentions while the situation remains unchanged...well I never.

Shaughno
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
The fo talking up their good intentions while the situation remains unchanged...well I never.

I'm sure you have no problem finding them regular space on a quality grass pitch then? Somewhere within the vicinity of BMO? Ok, let's widen it to a 15 minute drive even.

Ready, go.

H Bomb
05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
First no reason for it to be so close. They dont live in the stadium. Also I was commenting on the shity job theyre doing...not claiming to do it. Its just another thing they do badly. I was talking to labrocca last night. They dont like it. Who would. So tfc, go against type and fix a problem without spending years telling us you know its a problem and doing nothing

Shaughno
05-05-2010, 11:09 AM
You're right, no reason it has to be close.... but hauling gear back and forth between Oakville and Toronto gets to be a royal pain in the ass I bet.

I'm sure they probably are actually exploring possible avenues, but shit doesn't happen overnight. Especially when you need so much guaranteed time over the next 6 months.

Whoop
05-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I know it's turf, but couldn't they practice at Cherry Beach? Or even Lamport?

Again, I know it's turf - and they are run by the City - but they are close.

H Bomb
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
But have they not had three plus years to find it? Sorry but they dont get the benefit me the doubt from me. They need to be better...but no one will fire anyone...

Shaughno
05-05-2010, 11:13 AM
But have they not had three plus years to find it? Sorry but they dont get the benefit me the doubt from me. They need to be better...but no one will fire anyone...

I don't disagree but from my personal experience, and the stories of many others, in dealing with the City of Toronto.. they can (and usually are) a royal pain in the ass to try and negotiate with.

Whoop
05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
What are some of the best grass pitches in the GTA?

I always thought Eglinton Flats were pretty good.

AL-MO
05-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Brockton Stadium has a REALLY nice grass pitch. At least it was a couple years ago.

AL-MO
05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Whoopee the Flats might be okay to start the season, but they go to hell quickly because they aren't maintained very well.

G Ross Lord also had some nice fields last time I checked.

Permits for the City start the week following Victoria Day.

James17930
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Whoopee the Flats might be okay to start the season, but they go to hell quickly because they aren't maintained very well.

G Ross Lord also had some nice fields last time I checked.

Permits for the City start the week following Victoria Day.

But, of course, if TFC set up shop there, they'd make sure they were maintained properly.

The Flats is actually a pretty good idea -- there will also be an LRT stop there in the near future as well.

rocker
05-05-2010, 01:46 PM
it's not like they haven't been looking for 3 years for a practice facility. Anyone who followed the stadium grass debate will remember the original plan was to set up fields next to the Mastercard Hockey Centre where the Leafs practice now. But given all the crap with the city/fed/provs they had to decouple the projects. Since then they've been looking elsewhere. That change only occurred about a year ago.