PDA

View Full Version : Blog Pimping.... address change for "The View From The South Stands".

bgnewf
04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi All:

Just wanted to let you all know that my blog has a new permanent home and look.

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com

Feedback on the new design would be welcomed and appreciated.

Roca
04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Enjoyed the content! (Although personally, I'm not a fan of white/yellow letters on black background, or right-justified copy on the web.) Keep up the good work -- are you getting many visitors?

uncle p
05-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Sorry bgnewf, great stuff in your blog and i fully enjoy its contents, but am i the only one against pimping these blogs?

Its like me asking you to support me in a fundraiser, or asking you to join a facebook group. Perhaps these posts are better suited to the off topic forum (even tho they are TFC related)

If im offside please tell me

*Like i said, great blog and you have a fan in me, just not sure if i come here for it...........

Bluenose13
05-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Sorry bgnewf, great stuff in your blog and i fully enjoy its contents, but am i the only one against pimping these blogs?

Its like me asking you to support me in a fundraiser, or asking you to join a facebook group. Perhaps these posts are better suited to the off topic forum (even tho they are TFC related)

If im offside please tell me

*Like i said, great blog and you have a fan in me, just not sure if i come here for it...........I don't see the big deal. bgnewf is a dedicated south end supporter & writes some good stuff that many enjoy reading. I come here to get my TFC fix & his blog is pure TFC.

Keep up the good work big man & please always let us know when you have a new post in your blog.

rocker
05-01-2010, 11:15 AM
i would prefer he didn't clog up the boards with a new thread for every blog entry though. i don't like the content and no longer read it. it just pushes other worthwhile threads down.
if every blogger did this we'd be annoyed as hell.

BoobsFC
05-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Only blog I have ever read with "protected content", that includes professional blogs.

DichioTFC
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
i would prefer he didn't clog up the boards with a new thread for every blog entry though. if every blogger did this we'd be annoyed as hell.

agreed.

Cashcleaner
05-01-2010, 04:11 PM
How about this: We have a single stickied thread that has links to all the blogs and when someone has an update, they can post it on that?

Not sure if that's doable from the programming side of things, but would that be a good compromise? I agree that while most blogs are interesting reads, too many posts for them do clutter up the boards.

denime
05-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Just post your blog in Today's News Tread that will give you more than enough exposure.

LesH
05-01-2010, 04:41 PM
The blog is good enough, but I'll never understand why are some people pushing very dark or black backgrounds*, on which all text and not only is hard on the eyes!?

*except when it's some blackhat forum or gaming forum, lol.

ginkster88
05-01-2010, 05:10 PM
The blog is good enough, but I'll never understand why are some people pushing very dark or black backgrounds*, on which all text and not only is hard on the eyes!?

*except when it's some blackhat forum or gaming forum, lol.

It's actually easier on your eyes. Bright backgrounds (white) are much harder on your eyes, the dark backgrounds don't strain them as much.

Brooker
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if bgnewf's blogs didn't always focus on the negatives....

it's all misery. but i suppose that gets hits.

DichioTFC
05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if bgnewf's blogs didn't always focus on the negatives....

it's all misery. but i suppose that gets hits.

misery loves company. hence the hits to his site.

Brooker
05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
misery loves company. hence the hits to his site.

really.... i mean, we thumped montreal 2-0 to open the tourny and what does he write about? Montreal fans spitting on some TFC fans below.

what's not to love?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'S GOT NO HAIR AND WE DON'T CARE! DANNY DICHIO!

London
05-02-2010, 07:25 AM
i think this blog deserves a section more than "soccer steve" does.

possitive or negative, he talks about our club.

bgnewf
05-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. All of it is always welcome.

Cashcleaner
05-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Just post your blog in Today's News Tread that will give you more than enough exposure.

Probably the best solution.

uncle p
05-02-2010, 05:21 PM

this sounds like a very fair compromise.

ExiledRed
05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
How about if you have a blog, you put it in your signature, and if you want people to know you've updated, update your signature and tell them?

This is how it is done on lots of forums.

Batman
05-03-2010, 06:52 AM
I think we should create a section on it's own for member blogs.

Anyone who wants to promote their blog can do it there.

I don't think the daily news section is the appropriate place for blogs.

While we're on the topic, i find the Soccer Steve Section brings absolutely no value to our site. It should be replaced with the MEMBER BLOGS section and just added as content within.

Carter
05-03-2010, 06:55 AM
http://www.propershapedballs.com/

shameless plug...

bgnewf
05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
This is what I get for having my web server hosted in Montreal. It has been down all day.

Some damn Impact Fan no doubt.

Edit: Back online as of 3:30 PM

Cas87
05-05-2010, 02:39 PM
http://authenticas.blogspot.com/

shameless plug number two...

Just wanna get mine out there :)

bgnewf
05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/05/the-missing-link/

Why TFC should get a player like Ronne O'Brien instead of necessarily looking for more strikers.

__________________________________________________ ___

The Missing Link

Over the past few weeks there have been persistent rumours swirling (as they always seem to do I guess) about a new striker (or strikers) being drafted in by Mo Johnston. Paul Dickov’s name has been one that has been rumoured for months now and T&T forward Kerry Baptiste is apparently trialling with the team this week according to recent reports.

In a post last week I talked about how I can see players like these two scoring some goals for TFC if DeRo moves back in behind them and gives them some service and room to manoeuvre. A good friend of mine (Brando, you are the inspiration here my friend!) commented the following that got me thinking about why Toronto FC has had strikers that have gone on to have success elsewhere (Casey, Buddle, Cunningham, etc.) after failing here, and why the team’s vaunted midfield has consistently failed to provide the kind of service they on paper were capable of.

Here is what my friend wrote. It definitely deserves to be discussed:

…Just look at us from day one and you'll see that even with what has been considered solid midfielders we have yet to provide any type of passable service to our forwards. Easy to see when the likes of Buddle and Cunny have left only to magically find the scoring touch elsewhere…How about this, make your next blog explaining why we've had these issues even with play making midfielders like Amado, DeRo, Vitti, Jimmy B, Mo Edu, Robbo, Ronnie O'Brien and Rohan (expletive deleted) Ricketts…If you can figure out that one I'll be sure to give you a gold star!...”

I remember reading MLS commentators like Ives Galarcep and Steve Goff back last year stating that they believed TFC had assembled one of the best midfield groups in the history of the league. They certainly did get a lot of service to Barrett last season (who famously struggled with his confidence and underperformed in the role). Yet overall the team still struggled to score. Ali Gerba was brought in to be the answer up top, yet he struggled as well, scoring only once in his first match.

So here we are, a good selection of quality MLS strikers have come and gone and the much vaunted midfield has yet to get TFC into the playoffs. Where is the disconnect???

Other than Ronnie O’Brien back in year one, I do not think that the club has ever truly had what could be considered a truly successful wing player in the midfield. Each player other than O’Brien has had, even when playing wide, the tendency to drift towards the centre of the pitch, clogging up the middle and making the approaches to the strikers predictable and relatively easy to counter.

Lack of width leads to a lack of balance. A lack of width leads to predictability and most importantly to an easier time than necessary for opposing defenders.

The knee jerk reaction I suppose to take when a team is not scoring is to look at new strikers as the answer. In TFC’s case players like Dickov and/or Baptiste might be good MLS performers, but unless there is some addressing of the lack of width that TFC currently possesses on attack there are going to be continuing struggles down the road. If given my choice today between a true “winger” and one of these two rumoured strikers I take the winger any day of the week.

At its highest levels soccer can be the most beautiful and sublime of sports. The best clubs use the entire playing surface to their advantage.

Joga Bonito TFC!