PDA

View Full Version : TFC @ RSL pre-match thread

Oldtimer
04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
So... after the win on Wednesday, can the Reds pulls of another win, or at least a draw?

Sone good news for TFC:

LukeWileman (http://twitter.com/LukeWileman)

Real Salt Lake likely to be without Morales and Espindola for tomorrow's match against #torontofc (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontofc)

Midfielder and Striker who figured in their only win, so far.

Also, Grabavoy still rehabbing a knee injury, won't be playing against TFC: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_14987743

There will be distractions galore:

Carnival Real - 5:00 p.m.

There will be a bevy of activities prior to kickoff this Saturday against Toronto, and all the fun begins two hours before the match with the opening of Carnival Real at 5:00 p.m. MT. This week’s pre-game festival on the Stadium’s East Lawn will be super-sized thanks to U.S. Bank’s “Kids Day” activities which include:
* Mini-clinic run by the RSL Youth Development staff
* Autograph signing session from 5:30-6:30 p.m. with a member of the RSL roster (player TBD)
* Free balloons for the first 200 kids in attendance
* A booth where families can enter their babies in that night’s “U.S. Bank Diaper Derby"
* A talent show and dance competition for Canyons School District students on the Carnival Real stage
* Mini-carnival games such as soccer bowling, bean bag toss, ring toss, and pick-a-duck scattered throughout the Carnival Real area
Plenty of other vendors and activities will keep Carnival Real hopping leading up to the match, with Budweiser (“Designated Driver of the Game” sign-up), Burger King (“Whopper Hopper” inflatable and Prize Wheel), Check City, KFC (“Colonel’s Corner” voucher redemption and halftime “Bucket Brigade” sign-up), Mangia, Mountain America Credit Union (inflatable target kick), State Farm Insurance, Wasatch Property, and XanGo all scheduled to be on hand on Saturday evening. Once gates to Rio Tinto Stadium open at 6:00 p.m., fans will also get the chance to visit the Comcast and Utah Department of Public Safety (“Responsibility Has Its Rewards” sign-up) booths located on the north concourse leading up to kickoff.
http://www.realsaltlake.com/supporters/gameday-info

Diaper Derby??? :noidea:

jaxul
04-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Salt Lake are not at their best plus a bunch of injuries:

Not on roster:
GK: Melia (on loan to Charleston)
DF: Wingert (injury), Horst (on loan to Puerto Rico)
MF: Morales (illness), Grabavoy (injury)
FW: Espindola (injury)

Weather will be chilly, maybe 7-8 C and 50-50 chance of rain so weather kinda like the Seattle game.

Salt Lake fans expect an easy win....I think it will be a choppy game (since the pitch won't be in tip top shape and also the weather) and we should walk away with a point.

Lucky Strike
04-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Expectations for the match? Hopefully steal a point and get out.

Predicted formation (diamond 4-4-2):

-----------White - Barrett
-------------DeRosario
--------LaBrocca - DeGuzman
---------------Saric
Hscanovics - Cann - Attakora - Usanov
----------------Frei

deltox
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Harden and Garcia did not make the flight to Salt Lake due to inury

ecospice
04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
^ Too bad about Harden, wasn't he just about done getting over a previous injury when he took the 22 stitches?

Can't say I am upset about Garcia not making the trip. Too bad if he is hurt and all, but his salary is holding the team back, by preventing the signing of another player and his on-field play is unacceptable. So not great loss there.

Troll
04-30-2010, 12:25 PM
We're gonna steal this one and collect our 3rd consecutive clean sheet.

1-0 with an late header by Barrett.

GuelphStorm2007
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
It will not be easy TFC have not really had a whole lot of luck there. I know they had there road win there in 2007 but have been blasted there the last two times. And the altittude may be something to keep a eye on, and we know how they tend to start games on the road. I am hoping for a draw.

Red Rat
04-30-2010, 12:38 PM
here i think that we might get a point.

rr

Ossington Mental Youth
04-30-2010, 12:46 PM
^ Too bad about Harden, wasn't he just about done getting over a previous injury when he took the 22 stitches?

Can't say I am upset about Garcia not making the trip. Too bad if he is hurt and all, but his salary is holding the team back, by preventing the signing of another player and his on-field play is unacceptable. So not great loss there.

i might be wrong but i think youre thinking of Peterson, Harden hasnt been injured thus far

dupont
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Those injuries make it one of the best TFC chances to steal road points. However, I think that stadium will always present a tough game for us even with those advantages. I will hope for the best.

koryo
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
RSL are there for the taking it would seem. If we're going to nick some points on the road, now's the time to do it.

Yohan
04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
a point would be nice, but TFC doesn't do well in high altitudes...

last time TFC played at Rio Tinto... ugh. ugly game

Oldtimer
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
The boys are playing harder under Preki this year, though. Anything is possible. If they bring their "A" game they'll get at least a point.

Red Rat
04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
a point would be nice, but TFC doesn't do well in high altitudes...

last time TFC played at Rio Tinto... ugh. ugly game

in South America, they know how to approach this problem.
The teams trains at home and land 4 hours before the game and they shoot out right away.

TFC take note.

rr

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
If we want to make the playoffs!!!

We need results on the road.....no less then a point!!

I have a good feeling BMO will be nice to us this year!

the road will determine our play off faith!

as of now..0-3!..figure it out!

ecospice
04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
i might be wrong but i think youre thinking of Peterson, Harden hasnt been injured thus far

Yeah, I got them confused. Thanks!

:scarf:

karlosarmenta
04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
in South America, they know how to approach this problem.
The teams trains at home and land 4 hours before the game and they shoot out right away.

TFC take note.

rr

TFC actually did that against The Rapids. Toronto trained in Oakville on the Friday flew to Colorado friday night (as late as possible) and got out asap.

ManUtd4ever
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
TFC hold on for dear life in the second half and earn a 1-1 draw...

GBV
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Betting line:

Toronto +394
RSL -135
Draw +280

Goal line:
RSL -0.5 -135
TOR +0.5 +125

O/U:
2.5 under -116

J .
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
1-1 draw I think TFC will open the scoring, but RSLs legs will carry them to a stronger second half.

backbeat
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM

I didn't think we were paying very much of Garcia's salary, thought San Jose was. How much is his salary and how much do we pay?

T.O TILL I DIE
04-30-2010, 03:41 PM
1-1 draw were not good on the road and plus the players havent had time to rest , ty harden is out and GARCIA!:( <<lol

rocker
04-30-2010, 04:00 PM
toughest part is that some of the guys played Sunday-Wednesday. I mean, look at De Ro.. he went HARD for 180 minutes over the course of 4 days and is gonna be gasping on Saturday. I don't expect much from him this time. If they get one point out of this it would be great.

BuSaPuNk
04-30-2010, 04:05 PM
With RSL's injurys and there play as of late this is a great time to steal the 3 points. I believe if we play our A game on saturday we can steal it late with a goal. However getting a single point would be a victory in itself.

Redpunkfiddle
04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
With RSL's injurys and there play as of late this is a great time to steal the 3 points. I believe if we play our A game on saturday we can steal it late with a goal. However getting a single point would be a victory in itself.

They've only played one game at home though.

They sucked on the road and were nearly unbeatable at home which squeeked them into the playoffs.

Its a new year, and they are feeling the injuries, but a draw would be good here.

TERSIGNI
04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
should not start obrien white; He was as slow as molasses against montreal. He cannot hold possession and his passes are sloppy. Start Gala in his place. He can bring down a ball and uses speed...2-1 Salt Lake

Shakes McQueen
04-30-2010, 05:59 PM
This is going to be a tough one to win, having played twice inside the last week, and especially after the bruising effort against Montreal. I'd be thrilled with a win, or even a draw. It would definitely show some character, and hopefully Preki's decision to start some non-starters in the Montreal game will pay off.

- Scott

jloome
04-30-2010, 07:24 PM
toughest part is that some of the guys played Sunday-Wednesday. I mean, look at De Ro.. he went HARD for 180 minutes over the course of 4 days and is gonna be gasping on Saturday. I don't expect much from him this time. If they get one point out of this it would be great.

At altitude, no less. Explains why he moved Hscanovic over the other night: probably didn't want him running the flank for most of the game and getting tired out.

I'm optimistically going with a 1-1 draw.

Auzzy
04-30-2010, 07:47 PM
At least the league let TFC charter a plane to this game, because there are no direct flights TO - Salt Lake. (Saw that in the GolTV preview show.)

TFC Bhoy
04-30-2010, 07:58 PM

-------------DeRosario
---------------Saric
----------------Frei
I like it the only change I would make would be Cronin in for Saric

zamperina
04-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I think it will be a moral victory of sorts if they could earn a draw. I think tired legs in the 2nd half will be our downfall...Calling RSL 2-1. Hopefully I'm wrong!

twistedchinaman
05-01-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm going to say:

TFC 0-1 RSL (Dirty Hippie with a dirty goal. Bastard.)

I'm hoping I'm wrong, wrong, wrong though...

Bombonera
05-01-2010, 09:11 AM
It hink if a ball or 2 bounce our way, and we make it out of the 1st half either 1 up or even, we might suprise these guys,and walk away with a point or better.

THe Montreal game might have been a card fest, a couple of injuries, etc., but we did sit most of our defence (alphabet had to come on...), and it sure didn't look to me like we played an up tempo game.

Sure the altitude is a factor, but the boys being tired... no way.

Bloor West FC
05-01-2010, 09:25 AM

-------------DeRosario
---------------Saric
----------------Frei

I am really happy with this lineup I just hope Usanov and Saric stay out of penalty trouble. Other than that I think its going to be a great game! I say 3 points for TFC 3-1 the score :).

Red Patch CA
05-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm hopeful for a result tonight.
Spoils my strategy for this year's games, though. I had lowered my expectations but some good, unexpected wins have made me less pessimistic.
This year's TFC is playing with my head!:D

Carts
05-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Obviously we all know the affects of "altitude" when playing in cities like Salt Like, Denver etc...

A question............

Does COLD WEATHER INCREASE or DECREASE or MAKE NO DIFFERENCE to those affects...???

I'm just wondering if anyone knows... I've studied the affects of altitude as I went through my training certifications - but they were always taught in regards to 'climate controled environments' as it was for hockey - and was based on arriving, remaining, they playing at altitude...

Anyone know...???

Carts...

T.O TILL I DIE
05-01-2010, 12:18 PM
any fans making it down there?

neuf
05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Obviously we all know the affects of "altitude" when playing in cities like Salt Like, Denver etc...

A question............

Does COLD WEATHER INCREASE or DECREASE or MAKE NO DIFFERENCE to those affects...???

I'm just wondering if anyone knows... I've studied the affects of altitude as I went through my training certifications - but they were always taught in regards to 'climate controled environments' as it was for hockey - and was based on arriving, remaining, they playing at altitude...

Anyone know...???

Carts...

I believe most of the difficulty that non-acclimatized players face while playing at altitude is due to the thinner air/lower atmospheric pressure. Lower temperature means lower air pressure, but I'm not sure what temperature variation is required to make a measurable difference.

MUFC_Niagara
05-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm hopeful for a result tonight.
Spoils my strategy for this year's games, though. I had lowered my expectations but some good, unexpected wins have made me less pessimistic.
This year's TFC is playing with my head!:D

The game is tomorrow.

1-1....i'll be very happy with the point.

Canary Canuck
05-01-2010, 01:35 PM
According to weather.com it could snow this evening

AL-MO
05-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah I'd be happy with a draw too Tim.

Auzzy
05-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Is anyone going to Scallywag's tonight?

FootieChick
05-01-2010, 02:03 PM
2-1 we're gonna win 2-1! 2-1! yes the dirty hippy will probably get a goal, so will Dero and I'm going to say White... I have faith that the team is going to finally perform well on the road :) Sanyang is super excited, he says that the atmosphere with the team is amazing!

Red Rat
05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey Footie, I will be happy with a win but a point will do just fine.
I wonder if Sanyang will start?

rr

Hooligan69
05-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I'll go with a 1-1 draw for tonight, as well.

manic.street.preacher
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
1-1, Barrett scores :)

Canary Canuck
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm worried about how DeRo and Deguz will hold up having played 90 on Sunday and Wednesday and now having to play at altitude. I'm sure Preki had planned to sub them out in the 2nd half against Montreal but the injuries ruined that plan

kitchener-TFC
05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
DeRo is made of steel; DeGuz out of platinum. They'll survive!!

DichioTFC
05-01-2010, 04:00 PM
i'm calling 2-1 TFC, the intangibles are there for our boys to take it.

felipe
05-01-2010, 04:08 PM
3nil, 3nil, we're gonna win 3nil! Goals from Barrett, OBW, and DERo

LesH
05-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Sometimes the ice needs to be broken and TFC needs to get the first point or points on the road this season, right?

Will it be tonight, the next away game or the third away game? :flare::drum:

Brooker
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
having a hard time getting excited about this game after playing Montreal.... not exactly pumped to play some team called Real Salt Lake... maybe i just need some more beer. :)

bring it on!

KiwiRedsFan
05-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Good luck tonight TFC! 3 points please

Hooligan69
05-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Let's pound the crap out of Fake Salt Lake on the scoreboard.

TFC Villain
05-01-2010, 05:26 PM
2-1 Tfc - barret and dero

mlsintoronto
05-01-2010, 05:39 PM
There will be distractions galore:

http://www.realsaltlake.com/supporters/gameday-info

Diaper Derby??? :noidea:

Oh. My. God. Way to take that "Game First" initiative to another level RSL!

Red Rat
05-01-2010, 05:40 PM
got the beer, I am ready

rr

ginkster88
05-01-2010, 07:01 PM
TFC win tonight .

Detroit_TFC
05-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Just saw the starting line up according to Luke Wileman's post on Twitter.

Frei, Usanov, Cann, Attakora, Hscanovics, Gargan, LaBrocca, Sanyang, Saric, Nane, Barrett

W
T
F
?

ginkster88
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
DeRo, OBW JDG as super subs, probably before half. They won't be able to go a full 90 for the third time in a week at altitude.

Redpunkfiddle
05-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Super subs? Super strategy! Long live the squad.

Crazy shit no doubt.

neuf
05-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Toronto FC Reserve squad?

Serb_Star
05-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I predict we get zero shots with that starting line-up.

At least Gargan is starting.

Broadview
05-01-2010, 07:31 PM
This is crazy talk!

RSL is going to see that starting lineup and feel instantly energized.

What are we gonna do, wait until they score before we throw out the horses?

Did Preki see how well this worked for Sigi and Seattle last week?

This better not blow up in Preki's face. He'll either be a hero or a goat.

Detroit_TFC
05-01-2010, 07:32 PM
From Twitter: LukeWileman #torontofc subs: White, De Rosario, de Guzman, Peterson, Cronin, Gala, Conway.

FootieChick
05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey Footie, I will be happy with a win but a point will do just fine.
I wonder if Sanyang will start?

rr
Sanyang is starting, I was chatting with him today. He's pretty excited :)

Redpunkfiddle
05-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Sanyang is starting, I was chatting with him today. He's pretty excited :)

About the game or the chat?

But really, hope he is good to go and keeps his head on straight. One thing for sure he and Saric are going to lay some hurt.

Lennon
05-01-2010, 07:39 PM
No Dero? Barrett alone upfront? We won't be scoring tonight ...

wtf why is Nene starting over Cronin?!?!

Shakes McQueen
05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Just saw the starting line up according to Luke Wileman's post on Twitter.

Frei, Usanov, Cann, Attakora, Hscanovics, Gargan, LaBrocca, Sanyang, Saric, Nane, Barrett

W
T
F
?

Third game in seven days, man. My guess is DeRo and JDG come on as super-subs at some point, but you can't ask them to play 90 minutes tonight, at altitude.

- Scott

jloome
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
He's gonna stop up behind the ball in a 4-5-1, then bring in Dero and JDG in teh second half, if that lineup isn't just incorrect.

Bizarre, though.

Detroit_TFC
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Shakes^ ok, that makes sense. Just hoping we don't get mangled in the meantime.

Shakes McQueen
05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
He's gonna stop up behind the ball in a 4-5-1, then bring in Dero and JDG in teh second half, if that lineup isn't just incorrect.

Bizarre, though.

This is my guess too. Third game in seven days, altitude, and an away match to boot. I think he will try to clog things up defensively, then bring JDG and DeRo on around halftime (maybe before, maybe after), to try and slog out a 1-0 victory, if we haven't condeded.

Seems like a reasonably sound strategy to me. Running DeRo and de Guzman into the ground early, only to potentially have yet another late-game collapse, is the other option.

If we come away with a point from this fixture, I will be content. It'll be rough, after playing so much in the past seven days. Especially with what a slog the Montreal game was.

- Scott

FootieChick
05-01-2010, 07:52 PM
No Dero... No Deguzman... oh boy... I don't know... I might take back my prediction :/

Shakes McQueen
05-01-2010, 07:56 PM
It's also important to note that RSL aren't exactly playing great so far this season. Their record is worse than ours.

- Scott

Oldtimer
05-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Match Thread: http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=22284

Red Rat
05-01-2010, 08:01 PM
From Twitter: LukeWileman #torontofc subs: White, De Rosario, de Guzman, Peterson, Cronin, Gala, Conway.

expected!!

here we go

rr