PDA

View Full Version : Rui Marques to TFC?

Damien
04-29-2010, 08:52 AM
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/Leeds-United-Rui-can-be.6260868.jp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rui_Marques

Jack
04-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Interesting. More defenders who can play at a consistent level and keep Garcia on the bench? All signs point to yes.

drewski
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
MLSE still trying to buy Leeds, this time one player at a time?

zamperina
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/Leeds-United-Rui-can-be.6260868.jp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rui_Marques

I wonder if we could get him on a non-DP salary?

Yeoman
04-29-2010, 09:17 AM
MLSE still trying to buy Leeds, this time one player at a time?

yeah wasn't it just two years ago that MLSE, was considering a purchase of Leeds United?

drewski
04-29-2010, 09:20 AM
yup.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=238878

jaxul
04-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I wonder if we could get him on a non-DP salary?

No question it would be a non-DP salary. We have JDG already in that role and the talks wouldn't have progressed as far as having him come over for meetings if he was expecting DP status.

Yeoman
04-29-2010, 09:25 AM
fuck imagine if mlse did buy Leeds?
holy fuck, they'd be in the confrence by now and STILL pulling 10K plus I bet lol

DichioTFC
04-29-2010, 09:27 AM
does anyone know offhand if we have money available for a transfer of that cost?

i know we shipped out some expensive guys, but we also brought some new blood in, i cant foresee us having much cap space.... but then again, i'm relying on mo's knowledge of cap space...

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2010, 09:28 AM
yup.

That's an article from two years ago, I hope you realize. ;)

Rui Marques wouldn't require a DP salary, he's a League One player, and he's not a standout at Leeds.

Whoop
04-29-2010, 09:30 AM
yeah wasn't it just two years ago that MLSE, was considering a purchase of Leeds United?

yup.

IAC I think drewski knows that. LOL

drewski
04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
That's an article from two years ago, I hope you realize. ;)

Rui Marques wouldn't require a DP salary, he's a League One player, and he's not a standout at Leeds.

what Whoppee said, and thats why I said "STILL trying to buy" :)

MartinUtd
04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I'd take Marques in a second. I'm not sold on Cann yet and feel that he would absolutely be an upgrade and potentially someone who could show Attakora a thing or two.

Oldtimer
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Looks like a decent possibility. Anything that adds decent defensive depth between the starting 11 and Nick Garcia on the bench is a plus in my books.

sulfur
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
does anyone know offhand if we have money available for a transfer of that cost?
No transfer cost. His contract expires the day after the League 1 playoff final. Same as Dickov's.

Darlofletch
04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Is he any good though sulfur? or other leeds fans.

Yorkshire evening post, really takes me back to my days of watching cricket at headingley, while some old guy who looked as if he was about to have a heart attack at any moment continually circulated the ground shouting something unintelligable that was obviously supposed to be evening post. ah nostalgia.

Macksam
04-29-2010, 11:15 AM
yup.

They were never interested in buying Leeds. It was just bull shit speculation on the media's part. That article was refuted a while after it came out.

koryo
04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Is he any good though sulfur? or other leeds fans.

Yorkshire evening post, really takes me back to my days of watching cricket at headingley, while some old guy who looked as if he was about to have a heart attack at any moment continually circulated the ground shouting something unintelligable that was obviously supposed to be evening post. ah nostalgia.

All I will say is that Simon Grayson doesn't rate him. He's hardly played for Leeds in the last 16 months or so.

We're a League One side remember.

Oldtimer
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM

In a league that is more like the bottom half of the Championship. Most League 1 players like Andy Welsh have struggled in MLS, while Championship stalwarts like Danny Dichio have done well.

The article says that Marques could play Championship football, so I have hope that he can actually contribute.

MUFC_Niagara
04-29-2010, 11:51 AM
All I will say is that Simon Grayson doesn't rate him. He's hardly played for Leeds in the last 16 months or so.

He can't be any worse than Garcia. It's sad that he is our point of reference when signing defenders. :facepalm:

koryo
04-29-2010, 12:04 PM
In a league that is more like the bottom half of the Championship. Most League 1 players like Andy Welsh have struggled in MLS, while Championship stalwarts like Danny Dichio have done well.

The article says that Marques could play Championship football, so I have hope that he can actually contribute.

Counter-point: he's 32, hasn't played regularly in a year-and-a-half, Sky Sports reports that he is trying to win a new contract at Elland Road.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6123116,00.html

"Marques has an offer to join MLS outfit Toronto, although his agent Hayden Evans concedes the club's stature could be a factor in his final decision."

And remember, his agent is saying that he's capable of playing in the Championship.

I'm not sold on him. He'd only be here for the pay cheque.

Whoop
04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Question: Is he better than Garcia?

As long as he's inexpensive and pushes Garcia further down the depth chart, I'm fine with it.

Though I think Roberto Brown might have solved our depth issue yesterday.

koryo
04-29-2010, 12:08 PM
If you want this team to do anything then don't use Garcia as a yardstick against potential signings.

Anyway, I've said my bit on Marques. Enjoy the thread.

Whoop
04-29-2010, 12:09 PM
LOL... I know, but I hope to not see him on the pitch for TFC ever again.

Is he better than Cann?

At the end of the day it would be skill/improvement vs. cap hit and if it's worth it.

ensco
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Though I think Roberto Brown might have solved our depth issue yesterday.

Jeez that's mean spirited. The guy might be really hurt.

It's Preki that puts Garcia out there, and Mo that signed him.

DichioTFC
04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm leaning towards going against this signing. CanNana have done well together and have partnered before for the Canadian Nationals.

The two CBs have more to do with chemistry than any other positions. So until we start seeing major cracks in the CanNana partnership, I'm going to stick with them.

I would much rather favor a right winger to be honest. Someone that plays offensive and defensive thirds, has good pace, good dribbling and is able to cross effectively. That would probably be the biggest help the side needs.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
According to Leeds fans I know, Marques has spent the last while in the reserves, and is 6th or 7th in the pecking order in their defense.

Still, as has been said, he MUST be better than Garcia, and this could finally push Mo to get rid of him once and for all. And with international callups likely to decimate the squad again this year, depth never hurts.

Oldtimer
04-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Still, as has been said, he MUST be better than Garcia, and this could finally push Mo to get rid of him once and for all. And with international callups likely to decimate the squad again this year, depth never hurts.

Guaranteed contract = Garcia not going anywhere.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2010, 01:43 PM
He's a weird one is Rui. Looked amazing when Wise first brought him into the side (Blackwell actually signed him, but decided not to play him for about a year and a half), quickly became a firm fan favourite ("Rui Marques Sex Machine" :D ).. but after going to the African Cup of Nations in 2008, his form seemed to dip dramatically, and he never really hit the heights of his early career with us. He's also really struggled with injuries these last couple of years, which has seen him slip well down the pecking order.

If he can get over his problems, he could still be a quality player again, but with Kisnorbo, Naylor, Bromby and Michalik all ahead of him, I think a move away is probably gonna be the best thing for him now.
Injury problems don't sound overly promising, but that doesn't make him sound like he's too bad. 'Rui Marques sex machine' also has epic chant potential.

And bummer about Garcia... I had not realized that. :(

CretanBull
04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Marques is out of favour at Leeds...when our new coach came in the first thing that he did was revamp the back line and brought in three new defenders and Rui was one of the odd men out. Whenever there was an injury or someone needed a rest, Marques was usually the guy that was brought in, but he has a habbit of picking up injuries himself.

If he could stay healthy, I think that he could be our best defender...at the very least he'd have the best football brain of the lot and would help organize things.

Serb_Star
04-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Sweet Angola gay! That would be a good pickup.

jloome
04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
although his agent Hayden Evans concedes the club's stature could be a factor in his final decision."

Uh, yeah, he can go piss up a rope.

Pachuco
04-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Guaranteed contract = Garcia not going anywhere.

Guaranteed Contract = Gerba went somewhere ;)

Jack
04-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Guaranteed Contract = Gerba went somewhere ;)
But Gerba doesn't have the same agent as Mo and Preki

ManUtd4ever
04-29-2010, 06:24 PM
But Gerba doesn't have the same agent as Mo and Preki

So in essence, any players acquired by TFC that are represented by First Wave have an unofficial no trade clause for the duration of their contract?

Jack
04-29-2010, 06:26 PM
So in essence, any players acquired by TFC that are represented by First Wave have an unofficial no trade clause for the duration of their contract?

Greg Sutton didn't. But Garcia also has the "old buddies" connection with both of them

CretanBull
04-29-2010, 06:37 PM
^To make it up to First Wave, we let Brian Edwards go and brought in Conway :D

Waggy
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Isn't San Jose paying almost all of Garcia's salary? Vs us paying Gerba? That'd be a difference too. Free bench warmer

Ossington Mental Youth
04-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Isn't San Jose paying almost all of Garcia's salary? Vs us paying Gerba? That'd be a difference too. Free bench warmer

yep, thats exactly it, people seem to keep forgetting these two important things and itd be nice if it was made a sticky so it would just be dropped.

tfcleeds
04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
fuck imagine if mlse did buy Leeds?
holy fuck, they'd be in the confrence by now and STILL pulling 10K plus I bet lol

DO NOT even joke about that!!!!

poppamidnight
04-29-2010, 08:49 PM
I like our back 4... Don't wanna tinker w/ it...
Gommez as the #5, I'm a happy man in the salary-cap world....

On the other hand if you were somehow able to wash our hands either the salary of Barrett or Saric for a portion of his, then i'd consider the upgrade...

That said, I don't see Hsanovics or Usanov as Bench worthy, and I'm not sure either would fit as a MF for us? Maybe Usanov as defensive mid alongside JDG, but that's a longshot

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-29-2010, 10:24 PM
This is potentially a interesting move. Would Marques walk straight into the staring lineup displacing Attakora or Cann? I can't imagine he'd want to come to TFC to ride the pine, could end up as another Tebily situation.

I hope TFC has offers out to some attacking players, our forwards (Barrett and OBW) have lots of industry, but don't seem able to fashion their own chances with enough regularity.

CretanBull
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
^ I'd guess that he'd start at CB, and Attakora would be moved to RB.

jazzy
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I'd take Marques in a second. I'm not sold on Cann yet and feel that he would absolutely be an upgrade and potentially someone who could show Attakora a thing or two.

Caan is a blessing....tall, skilled and enjoys being here....we need that height defending, He also moved the ball with skill Wed nights, It's Hscanovic thats is a tall Garcia...hopefully he's learning

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
^ I'd guess that he'd start at CB, and Attakora would be moved to RB.

A little why mess with what's working, plus TFC has two other RBs. I can only see there being enough games for Marques if there's an injury or TFC make the CCL.

There's lots of players with contracts expiring at the same time as Marques. Adebayo Akinfenwa and Marc Nygaard come to mind, both would fill TFC's need at striker. Nygaard's probably a little more likely in terms of his age and stage of his career. We need some defensive depth, seeing as we lost to defenders in one game, but I think we need a striker even much more.

CretanBull
04-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Marques wouldn't come here to sit on our bench, and despite the fact that (for a
couple of games) Cann and Nana have played well together, Marques is without a question better than both of them. Despite current form, we've been horrible at the back since day 1...adding a quality CB wouldn't be a mistake.

I'd that we need a striker even more, but I doubt we'd get a striker better than what we have for the type of money (cap space) that we have available...

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-29-2010, 11:27 PM
^ I've Marques play for Leeds a few times, not sure that's he's better than both Cann and Attakora at this stage of his career. He'd probably be a good fit, but I think he'd only come for a year. Makes more sense develop a Cann - Attakora partnership that has a little longer shelf life.

I assume if we can make room for Marques under the cap, we could do it for the right striker too, but it's hard to say, the whole cap, allocation, etc, setup in so nebulous. To add anyone at any position, I think TFC would have to make a roster move.

twistedchinaman
04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Jeez that's mean spirited. The guy might be really hurt.

It's Preki that puts Garcia out there, and Mo that signed him.

Yeah, we all hate the guy...but just a wee touch on the low side.

Although you have to wonder WTF was Brown and the rest of the Limp Act smoking before last night.

spot-on
04-30-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm leaning towards going against this signing. CanNana have done well together and have partnered before for the Canadian Nationals.

The two CBs have more to do with chemistry than any other positions. So until we start seeing major cracks in the CanNana partnership, I'm going to stick with them.

I would much rather favor a right winger to be honest. Someone that plays offensive and defensive thirds, has good pace, good dribbling and is able to cross effectively. That would probably be the biggest help the side needs.

hmm...I was thinking...

what about CannAtta? :canada:

tfcmanu
04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
http://www.tribalfootball.com/leeds-united-defender-marques-considering-toronto-fc-offer-805431

TFCREDNWHITE
04-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Remember that you can push Nana off to right side and have Marques and Cann in the middle.....

Ossington Mental Youth
04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Doubtful while we have Hscanovic

CretanBull
04-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Doubtful while we have Hscanovic

If he gets bumped to the bench, then we're a better team for it. Not because he's crap, but because it would be the first time in our history that we'd have some quality depth.

poppamidnight
04-30-2010, 06:12 PM
If he gets bumped to the bench, then we're a better team for it. Not because he's crap, but because it would be the first time in our history that we'd have some quality depth.

It's a salary cap league, where you CAN'T AFFORD quality depth on your bench...

We have IMO a more than capable bench player in Gommez (currently injured)...
It's the clown that rhymes w/ Marcia that we're all worried will see the pitch if injury occurs

Yes it would be nice if we had all these amazing players on our roster,
but $$$ in this league w/ the cap is tight, hence it's just not plausible,

and Usanov, Cann, Hsanovics, and Nana's play (all 4 of them) has warranted their titles of "starters"... It would be a slap in their face to send them to the bench

CretanBull
04-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Neither of Hscanovic or Usanov have big salaries - both are suitable for coming off the bench (it terms of salary). They've played 'OK' but haven't soldified their positions as starters and we don't know if they'll hold up for a full season. Garcia is out, Harden is out, Gomez is out. We have bodies on D, but beyond Nana and maybe Cann (he's done well for himself so far) I don't see much in terms of quality. Adding a top end CB wouldn't be the worst move that we could make.

Shakes McQueen
04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Neither of Hscanovic or Usanov have big salaries - both are suitable for coming off the bench (it terms of salary). They've played 'OK' but haven't soldified their positions as starters and we don't know if they'll hold up for a full season. Garcia is out, Harden is out, Gomez is out. We have bodies on D, but beyond Nana and maybe Cann (he's done well for himself so far) I don't see much in terms of quality. Adding a top end CB wouldn't be the worst move that we could make.

Yep, the more the merrier. Especially if we want winning the NCC to be an annual expectation - we need depth to prevent fatigued legs over weeks like this one. Usanov and Hscanovics make about MLS bench money, so I'd be okay with having them as depth. And imagine that - having defenders on a Toronto FC bench, that we wouldn't absolutely dread putting in a game!

Being able to rest Marques/Cann/Attakora without having to resort to a scrub like Garcia is a huge plus too.

By the standards of the previous three years, I've actually been somewhat impressed with our defensive play this season. It'll pay dividends once we can pair Barrett and DeRo with a quality striker... if that ever happens.

- Scott

zamperina
04-30-2010, 08:55 PM
You can never have enough depth...Case in point the stronger teams in this league like Columbus & Houston are always near the top of the league because of depth.

ManUtd4ever
04-30-2010, 09:09 PM
In my opinion, with the limited cap space available at the moment, I think a striker should be the main priority. If our roster is healthy, Gomez and Harden can provide adequate depth to a decent starting backline. Up front, Barrett and White have shown flashes of solid play but neither of them have proven that they are capable of being consistent as starters as of yet. If either of them suffered an injury, Ibrahim is next on the depth chart. Needless to say, the striker position is still TFC's greatest weakness...

UltraSuperMegaMo
04-30-2010, 09:57 PM
What kind of money do you think Marques is on at Leeds? The League One average salary is like 150k US, so not miles of MLS money.

CretanBull
04-30-2010, 11:13 PM
What kind of money do you think Marques is on at Leeds? The League One average salary is like 150k US, so not miles of MLS money.

I'm pretty sure that he signed his last contract when we were still in the Championship. I think he'd come over for somewhere around $150k though, which would be pro-rated to whatever portion of the season that he plays.

poppamidnight
05-01-2010, 08:03 AM
In my opinion, with the limited cap space available at the moment, I think a striker should be the main priority. If our roster is healthy, Gomez and Harden can provide adequate depth to a decent starting backline. Up front, Barrett and White have shown flashes of solid play but neither of them have proven that they are capable of being consistent as starters as of yet. If either of them suffered an injury, Ibrahim is next on the depth chart. Needless to say, the striker position is still TFC's greatest weakness...

Totally agree...

I remember last yr when we had a gazillion starter-quality MF's, but no D (and still no striker)....

Why do people insist adding depth to our Armour, when it has a giant hole in it???
..... uhhh fix the bloody hole first people... Get a Striker who can consistently net goals

...the irrationality of many boggles the mind

J .
05-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I think getting depth on the backline is a good plan. We have DeRo, Barrett, OBW, and Ibbe to score up top. Often we are going with a lone striker with DeRo and I suspect that JDG could play up as an attacking mid.

Garcia needs to retire and Cann has been lucky a few times that when he's been beaten with pace Frei has made a big save. More teams will be looking to play the ball into space and force Cann to close down or run more. He's good when physical or defending crosses, but defending options I think are needed.

I'm not sure why we never hear of us getting any wingers in. We have no one who can attack down the flanks, never have and beginning to think we never will.

Juanito
05-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I think it could be a good signing. Full backs from the English league are defensive-minded enough that they would be a plus on this side. I wouldn'y sign a striker from England in the lower leagues, the style in MLS won't suit them, they won't have the passes they are used to,

Juanito
05-01-2010, 10:35 AM

You are correct, but unless Mo is willing to start looking at Latin America for a decent forward, we'll be running in circles. No decent forward from Europe/Africa will want to come here, they would rather stay in Europe, unless it's a DP that wants to retire. If you want someone young, then we should be looking at Ecuador, Argentina, Columbia ... places like that were we can offer them decent coin, relatively-speaking.

Davenport
05-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Don't kid yourself.
MLS is equivalent to mid table Div 2 down to mid table conference.
No better.

ManUtd4ever
05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Don't kid yourself.
MLS is equivalent to mid table Div 2 down to mid table conference.
No better.

Perhaps that was the case in the early days of the MLS, but based on the quality of the league today, I would have to disagree. The top teams in the MLS would definitely be able to compete with the top clubs in League One as well as lower tier Championship sides...

Davenport
05-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Perhaps that was the case in the early days of the MLS, but based on the quality of the league today, I would have to disagree. The top teams in the MLS would definitely be able to compete with the top clubs in League One as well as lower tier Championship sides...
The league is still poor and not many of TFC's squad would earn money in England.
Seen any Div 1 games this year ?
Norwich, Leeds, Millwall, etc would stuff most MLS sides.

ManUtd4ever
05-01-2010, 11:55 AM
The league is still poor and not many of TFC's squad would earn money in England.
Seen any Div 1 games this year ?
Norwich, Leeds, Millwall, etc would stuff most MLS sides.

Like I said, the top teams in the MLS are probably on par with the likes of Norwich, Leeds, and Millwall...

Beach_Red
05-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Like I said, the top teams in the MLS are probably on par with the likes of Norwich, Leeds, and Millwall...

And as the cap increases and the number of DPs allowed is increased MLS will get better. It's already better than it was when TFC joined and the pressure from teams like Seattle, NY and LA to spend even more money is starting to work.

CretanBull
05-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Totally agree...

I remember last yr when we had a gazillion starter-quality MF's, but no D (and still no striker)....

Why do people insist adding depth to our Armour, when it has a giant hole in it???
..... uhhh fix the bloody hole first people... Get a Striker who can consistently net goals

...the irrationality of many boggles the mind

I think that you're over-valueing the quality of the defenders that we have - especially if you're comparing them to last years MFs. Last year we had a bunch of proven, quality MFs - guys who had long careers in the MLS or who had proven themselves elsewhere in quality leagues. While we have depth on D this year, not a single one of them has proven themselves or established themselves in the MLS (not even Nana). I agree that so far this year they've played pretty well as a unit, but I'm not ready to say that our 3 year long problem has been solved. A quality, proven CB who's played at a high level would only improve our team and make the young guys better. There shouldn't be anything mind boggling about that rationality.

No one is saying that we don't need a striker, but unless you know of one that's willing to play for us for the money that we have its a moot point.

poppamidnight
05-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I think that you're over-valueing the quality of the defenders that we have - especially if you're comparing them to last years MFs. Last year we had a bunch of proven, quality MFs - guys who had long careers in the MLS or who had proven themselves elsewhere in quality leagues. While we have depth on D this year, not a single one of them has proven themselves or established themselves in the MLS (not even Nana). I agree that so far this year they've played pretty well as a unit, but I'm not ready to say that our 3 year long problem has been solved. A quality, proven CB who's played at a high level would only improve our team and make the young guys better. There shouldn't be anything mind boggling about that rationality.

No one is saying that we don't need a striker, but unless you know of one that's willing to play for us for the money that we have its a moot point.

So why piss away the $$$ we could be saving up for a 2nd DP on a less than needed position,
thereby COMPLETELY eliminating the shot at a striker???

....again your talking irrational here

It's like being a dime short of a can of Pepsi....
How many people would actually spend this $$$ on buying a no-name cola???....
No... The strong majority would rather just not spend the $$$ and get the Pepsi the next time around.....

... Logic my friend... Use it,

we want many things, but we need to prioritize where we spend our funds...

Spend the $$$ on a depth defender, and not use it to address the need for a striker, surely enough we won't be a contender

Super Cereal
05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
You are correct, but unless Mo is willing to start looking at Latin America for a decent forward, we'll be running in circles. No decent forward from Europe/Africa will want to come here, they would rather stay in Europe, unless it's a DP that wants to retire. If you want someone young, then we should be looking at Ecuador, Argentina, Columbia ... places like that were we can offer them decent coin, relatively-speaking.
I agree.

Even if it's a loan type thing, like Philly has with Torres and Seattle with Montero.

CretanBull
05-01-2010, 01:18 PM
So why piss away the $$$ we could be saving up for a 2nd DP on a less than needed position,

No... The strong majority would rather just not spend the $$$ and get the Pepsi the next time around.....

Spend the $$$ on a depth defender, and not use it to address the need for a striker, surely enough we won't be a contender

Davenport
05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't agree. Any MLS side would struggle in Div 1.
There's a chasm in the pace and skill level.
We could debate it all day, but that's my opinion.
BTW...I know someone who has a season ticket at a club now in the bottom four in Div 1 and when he was over last year he was shocked at how poor it was and he'd expect his club to beat TFC easily.

Beach_Red
05-01-2010, 02:05 PM

A second DP?

I wish you ran MLSE...

rocker
05-01-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't agree. Any MLS side would struggle in Div 1.
There's a chasm in the pace and skill level.
We could debate it all day, but that's my opinion.
BTW...I know someone who has a season ticket at a club now in the bottom four in Div 1 and when he was over last year he was shocked at how poor it was and he'd expect his club to beat TFC easily.

it's hard to compare, since English teams don't have to travel 3000 miles to games or play in the oppressive heat of Houston Texas.

i've watched that level and I don't think the pace is better than MLS. I actually find them more crafty and smarter (better understanding of the game and better teamwork) but slower and less athletic than many MLS sides.

Also, it's not a good idea to use TFC as an example of MLS. The original comment someone made was "the better MLS sides". If we watched Seattle or Houston or LA on a weekly basis, we'd probably make a very different comparison with English sides.

Personally I think from top to bottom, MLS varies greatly in level of talent. So MLS probably straddles two English divisions and wouldn't compare to any one division from top to bottom.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-01-2010, 03:26 PM

If TFC can afford a League One CB, why not a League One striker? To add a player, TFC will have to make a roster, perhaps that will help free up some $.

ag futbol
05-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm with you on this one and I think there's more than enough evidence to put MLS somewhere within that range.

Once you're talking league 2 and the conference, not only are the salaries less, but the work restrictions are extremely insular because the chances of someone with a non-EU passport winning a work permit case to play at that level are pretty damn low.

Let's not forget that we have a history of pretty of these guys coming into MLS, some catching on and some not. I don't think d2 is anywhere near the bar on this one.

CretanBull
05-01-2010, 04:49 PM
If TFC can afford a League One CB, why not a League One striker? To add a player, TFC will have to make a roster, perhaps that will help free up some $.

Strikers make more money than other players...a defender works as a part of a unit, and a good defender (even a League One CB - who has plenty of experience in the Championship and in Germany at Sttugardt) can make the players around him better. I don't think that a typical League One striker would have the same impact, especially one that would come over on a defender's wage scale.

CretanBull
05-14-2010, 10:23 PM
He's officially been told by Leeds that they won't renew his contract and that he can start looking for a new team...we'll see what happens.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Leeds is letting go of Tresor Kandol too, might not be a bad fit for TFC upfront.

CretanBull
05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
I think he could fit in here too...he's good at holding the ball up and has a decent goal totals int he games that he played. I think he fell out of favour with management as there have always been rumours about his poor attitude, but we heard that about Guevara too and he was one of our best players while he was here and didn't cause any problems at all.

Yohan
05-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Leeds is letting go of Tresor Kandol too, might not be a bad fit for TFC upfront.
Kandol to me sounds like another Jeff Cunningham...

CretanBull
05-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Kandol to me sounds like another Jeff Cunningham...

Totally different kind of player, more like Emile Heskey...

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Lots of teams are doing spring cleaning, so if Mo's looking to the UK, there's players to choose from. Admittedly, anyone released from their team has certain draw backs, but I think there's probably so decent players to be found in the collective SPL, CCC, League One scrap pile.

Yohan
05-15-2010, 06:27 AM
Totally different kind of player, more like Emile Heskey...
I meant in terms of streakiness/mental attitude

Derko
05-15-2010, 09:27 AM

I agree that MLS is Top League 1 and lower to mid Championship, If you want an honest opinion, I feel that if you were to make a comparison, MLS is mid to lower Scottish Premier League. So it is all relevant to what you are comparing MLS with, isn't it.

CretanBull
05-15-2010, 09:49 AM
I meant in terms of streakiness/mental attitude

Mental attitude is a good comparison...in terms of skill, Kandol holds the ball up well so he's still semi-usefull when he isn't scoring. When Cunningham isn't scoring he's useless.

koryo
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Kandol would be worth it - if he has the right attitude and doesn't play the "I played in England so I'm better than you lot" prat.

Gazza_55
05-15-2010, 12:24 PM
I agree that MLS is Top League 1 and lower to mid Championship, If you want an honest opinion, I feel that if you were to make a comparison, MLS is mid to lower Scottish Premier League. So it is all relevant to what you are comparing MLS with, isn't it.

Totally Disagree. The SPL is way overrated. I would stack the Galaxy and Crew against Celtic and Rangers anyday. And the rest of the teams in Scotland are like the rest of the clubs in MLS.

[NBF]
05-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Gazza, you just shit yourself on-line buddy. I want you to come back 2 days fromnow and read what you just wrote and apologize to everyone.

habstfc
05-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I think in general the spl is over-rated as well, but to say that the galaxy and crew are just as good as celtic and rangers..OUTRAGEOUS..

tfcleeds
05-15-2010, 12:45 PM
There is a wide gap in talent between SPL teams. Old Firm are Premiership/Championship material. Falkirk and Kilmarnock are League Two/Blue Square Prem material.

Gazza
05-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Damn, i'm going to have to change my name. All other "Gazza's" on the board do not speak for me!

But the SPL is shit. Until another team wins the league, i can't take it seriously. MLS teams would be lumped into the same relegation battle that the other scottish teams play in every year, or 3rd place, take your pick.