PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings: Montreal v. TFC

Lucky Strike
04-28-2010, 05:51 PM
As usual, check back here for player ratings after the match. Do remember the roughly 60 minutes it takes me to write the ratings. Good luck to the boys!

Lucky Strike
04-28-2010, 09:59 PM
A 2-0 win is a good way to start the NCC but it wasn’t a perfect match by any means from TFC. There’s lots room for improvement and I’m sure Preki knows that as well.

Frei (6): Didn’t really have anything to do. He came up for one ball and that was it.
Gargan (6.5): Frequently in the mix of things and while he had the odd awkward moment or two, he also made some good plays including a nice sliding tackle near the end of the match on Placenta (actually called Placentino – he’s still a douche and looks like one).
Cann (6.5): Again effective in the centre of defence. I think he had one moment where he gave away the ball in a dangerous position but the good far outweighed that.
Garcia (5): Maybe this grade was a bit affected by my preconceptions of the man but he made me jittery quite often. Ironically, his best play may have been to get his clocked cleaned by Brown, both causing Montreal to go down by a man and taking himself off the field. I don’t mean to laugh or derive pleasure from his getting assaulted but it was a key moment in the match.
Harden (NR): Only got 12 minutes before being injured so not much to say here. Hope he’s OK – sounds like it.
Peterson (6): Still getting back into fit form but you can tell he’s a quality player. Faded away from the light after the 35-40th minute due to fatigue.
DeGuzman (6): Saw a lot of the ball tonight but couldn’t really replicate Sunday’s form. Sometimes it feels the other players give him the ball when they get into trouble and in turn put JDG in a tough spot by doing so making JDG look a bit bad at times.
Cronin (6): Tonight was a 100% unremarkable night for him but that’s not a criticism. Sometimes it happens.
Gala (6.5): Played an impressive match for someone who doesn't see the pitch very often. Tonight gave me a big clue as to how he's stuck around with TFC since 2007 despite not making many appearances (I think he has less than 10). Spirited, determined and good head on his shoulders, I hope to see an Attakora-esque development from obscurity from him.
Barrett (7): It feels good to see him get a goal. He’s at time much maligned for missing sitters but someone said in the pre-game (ironically) he was going to torch Montreal tonight. He indeed did make the Montreal defenders look like a limp act on his well taken goal. He also had an impressive nutmeg of Jocqueviel minutes prior. Because he sometimes lacks composure in front of goal, we sometimes forget how talented he is. It was certainly on display tonight.
DeRosario (7.5): A goal and an assist – where would be without him? I think I’ve asked that before, no? Opportunistic in front of goal, good distributor of the ball, immense work rate and sets the example because of it.

The time on the substitutions may be slightly off as I don’t have a match tracker – I’m going from memory.

Hscanovics, on for Harden – 16th minute (6.5): Performed well after coming on unexpectedly for the injured Harden. Made a good run in the first half and generally passed the ball well.
White, on for Garcia – 35th minute (5.5): My biggest criticism of White is that he slows down the play a lot. TFC are on a fast-ish break/move upfield, White gets the ball and suddenly the pace is halved. Didn’t really do anything tonight and probably put a crimp in the attack more often than not.
LaBrocca, on for Peterson – 63rd minute (5.5): Pretty invisible during his playing time. Had some good moves to keep possession of the ball down the right side later on but that’s about it.

Preki (6.5): He was pretty handcuffed tonight with two enforced substitutions in the first half. The Hscanovics substitution was pretty straightforward but I thought it interesting to see Gala move to LB and then Hscanovics on to CB to take Garcia’s place. This had a trickle effect of having DeRosario drop back into midfield with White taking his place up top. I think it’s a good thing that he really committed Attakora to getting rest. Though if we hadn’t gotten a good result, we’d be a bit upset at not putting one of our best players on. It’s the risk you run with rotation – it feels great when it comes off perfectly and it’s sour when it doesn’t. Just ask Seattle. You have to trust the coach can get a good feel of how much rotation is too much and I think he got that. Finally, Peterson had to come off as he’s still getting match fit.

Referee (6): Did some good things and importantly caught Brown’s 1-2 combo to Garcia’s face for the KO. It doesn’t take much for him to have his head turned even if momentarily at a key moment. You still have to think an assistant would have advised him of anything they saw. However, he had some mysterious calls also, most notably when Gargan pushed his man out of bounds in the second half. There was nothing to that at all. Also, I felt 50-50 occasions invariably went against TFC for some reason.

TFC MOTM: DeRosario. Quite simply, he makes things happen and sets the tone for the team.

Most impressed by opposition’s: Stephen DeRoux. Pesky player who had some good moves and was a constant threat.

Least impressed by opposition’s: Roberto Brown. Come on, how can a professional lose his cool like that? He single-handedly screwed his team tonight by taking a red while being down 0-1. Moreover, it took an eon for him to finally get off the pitch. Where’s that Catholic nun with a ruler to the fingers when you need one? He’ll probably get a stiff talking-to by the coach at least.

Conclusion: Feels good to come with a 2-0 win when TFC was far from their best. I felt that the team at times struggled to maintain possession even up a man and to a lower division opponent. Also, it felt like the “we’re under siege” mentality that cost the team many late goals set in a bit with the boys in the last 10 minutes or so. We have to get rid of that. Other than that, TFC took the chances that were presented and came up with a good result – that’s what good teams do.

Hope you enjoy this as always. I'd love to get feedback as well. If bad, at least be constructive please - tell me how I can make this better. Cheers!

sulfur
04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Frei made two decent stops when called on -- one was more challenging than the other. A couple of other casual plays, and one when he got a slow roller of a hospital pass back to him that he attacked aggressively.

The rating seems fair, but he didn't just come for one ball.

FluSH
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Pretty good assestment... I thought Gargan played a bit worse and would not have given him a 6.5... but that late tackle was pretty good...

deltox
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I guess I was watching a different game. Gargan played great. He hustled all night.

Pachuco
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
So Nana wasn't hurt? I can't possibly comprehend why he didn't come on when we lost two CBs. Hscanovic bailed Preki cause he seemed to play a decent game at CB but that was one heck of a risky move.

Oh, I agree with all your ratings. I contine to be impressed by Cann, this guy really has proven me wrong this season. JDG was back to his old self making poor passes and giving up the ball but he did seem a little more active then some other games.

TERSIGNI
04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Good call on Obrien White.

TERSIGNI
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
White was brutal for the most part. Not only did he slow things did, he did not win one header, missed easy passes and at times seemed disinterested. He is like the Frank Mahovolich of our team,

Pachuco
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
And what about Gala? I'd give him a 6 personally. Very agressive and seemed like he was all over the pitch. Unfortunately the quality of passing just wasn't there for him tonight.

FluSH
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
So Nana wasn't hurt? I can't possibly comprehend why he didn't come on when we lost two CBs. Hscanovic bailed Preki cause he seemed to play a decent game at CB but that was one heck of a risky move.

Oh, I agree with all your ratings. I contine to be impressed by Cann, this guy really has proven me wrong this season. JDG was back to his old self making poor passes and giving up the ball but he did seem a little more active then some other games.

I was actually routing for JDG to show us something magical... he takes little ownership of that ball when it gets to his feet and creates plays that go nowhere really...

Lucky Strike
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
And what about Gala? I'd give him a 6 personally. Very agressive and seemed like he was all over the pitch. Unfortunately the quality of passing just wasn't there for him tonight.

D'oh! What a blunder on my part! Now fixed.

FluSH
04-28-2010, 10:23 PM

They made him drop back though? not sure if he was playing in his comfort zone.... but he did show his husstle!

grizzle
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I thought Peterson did a great job too. I don't know if I would give Barrett as high a score, but all around a great game.

Stryker
04-28-2010, 10:31 PM
My biggest criticism of White is that he slows down the play a lot. TFC are on a fast-ish break/move upfield, White gets the ball and suddenly the pace is halved. Didn’t really do anything tonight and probably put a crimp in the attack more often than not.
I've noticed this too. I'm still trying to determine if he's fast or not. I think his size might make him look slower running than he is.
Eric Lindros was the same way on skates.

greatwhitenorf
04-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Wet, heavy pitch on Sunday vs. Seattle and I bet White was still feeling the effects of all his running and hard work in his still-recovering injured knee. Showed more zip that day.

He wasn't slated to start and, at times, looked to be simply pacing himself in the second half and not putting too much strain on it. Not a great performance, not a disaster, but could have passed the ball better and certainly read plays better.

Can't play hard? Then play smart.

Fushida
04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I thought Peterson did a great job too. I don't know if I would give Barrett as high a score, but all around a great game.

Saw the difference between Peterson and LaBrocca. LaBrocca is simply not a winger... the second he came on we pretty much got no production from the right wing. Everything went to DeRo on the left.

ballerz
04-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Garcia (10) - Has any player in the history of football provided his team a two-man advantage in one play? I know he still managed to misplay about 5 balls in 35 minutes, but after he got clocked, instead of playing 10 vs 11, TFC is suddenly 11 vs 10.

TFC Bhoy
04-28-2010, 10:57 PM
I was really impressed with Gala. Every time he was on the ball I thought he was really confident, played smart, good passes, some great footwork and good defensive work too. Might have lost the ball once or twice but was usually able to get it back. Had some really nice give and go's with DeRo too

grizzle
04-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Garcia (10) - Has any player in the history of football provided his team a two-man advantage in one play? I know he still managed to misplay about 5 balls in 35 minutes, but after he got clocked, instead of playing 10 vs 11, TFC is suddenly 11 vs 10.

Haha... well played.

CretanBull
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm going to give Garcia his due...I watched the game from the beer garden in the frst half so a lot of our defending happened right in front of me. Garcia did a great job getting under the skin of both Brown and Byers all night, he was being physical with them, a lot of clutching and grabbing, both of them were clearly frustrated. Brown didn't just suddenly snap, Garcia had been getting to him all night.

Damien
04-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Obrian White was a selfish prick on the play where Barrett was wide open on the right.
White had virtually no angle to shoot.

Fuck you, White... smarten the fuck up!

dannyd
04-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Obrian White was a selfish prick on the play where Barrett was wide open on the right.
White had virtually no angle to shoot.

Fuck you, White... smarten the fuck up!

Disagree... if you can see the net - then shoot. Barrett was in no better position than he was. Sometimes you need strikers who can take responsibility.

Sláinte TFC
04-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Disagree... if you can see the net - then shoot. Barrett was in no better position than he was. Sometimes you need strikers who can take responsibility.

I see your point. I like a striker that wants to shoot, but nothing wrong with giving up an OK look at goal for better one. Barrett would have had a better opportunity on that occasion.

prizby
04-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Frei had one world class save off the deflection, deserves more than a 6

Belfast_Boy
04-29-2010, 08:57 AM
I was sooo happy for Barrett. one of our hardest working players.

others that were noticeable was DeRo as always. Liked Gala too and would like to see him more.

JDG wasn't impressive. he is should be doing better. made some terrible, suicide passes and gave away the ball. I'm really not impressed. yes his last game was his best, but it still wasn't good enough for that amount of $$$.

JonO
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm gonna disagree as well. Barrett was in a much better position. I certainly want strikers who are going to shoot the ball, but shooting is not always the best option. Not gonna get on OBW too much for it because he had a pretty good look, but if he makes a habit of it I'll probably change my tune..

Stencils
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Players who impressed me most tonight were:

Gargan looked to be coming into his own. Some very good tackles and held players off the ball well.

Labrocca had good feet late in the game, did very well to draw more than one limpact player away and then distribute the ball to another location.

De Guzman gave a performance that I was quite happy with.

KRO
04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
In the first half Gargan didn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the players around him. He misplayed a few balls and seemed off his game. In the second half he was excellent in defense and with his distribution going forward.

Wooster_TFC
04-29-2010, 09:46 AM

The problem with the play was that when he first looked, he couldn't see the net.

The only reason he ended up having a clear shot (which he muffed) was because the defender ran back and away to cover Barrett (who was wide open and an early ball would have given him a solid chance).

That said, once the shot opened up, I don't blame him for taking it.

Pachuco
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
They made him drop back though? not sure if he was playing in his comfort zone.... but he did show his husstle!

Yeah, he adapted real nice as a LB. I thought he was good, but his passing could really have been much better. Funny but when he seemed to be playing in the middle of the park in the first half he was way more involved in the play the JDG was. I would've expected for the roles to be reversed.

JonO
04-29-2010, 11:05 AM
^ I don't know about "much" better. From my recollection I thought he hit the target with the vast majority of his passes, but had a few clangers which stood out. I'm willing to give him some slack given his playing time so far...

JDG
04-29-2010, 12:37 PM

This is what I was going to add after reading the ratings. I'm glad I took the time to read the entire thread before posting.

Frei's movement to make that save was top shelf all the way.
Watching the keeper's movements over a game should be like watching a baseball player's movements. There is no advantage to hustling for 90 minutes. The key is to stay focused and relaxed until the ball is struck, and then spring into action. Frei does this very well when the defence is on their game. When the back line is playing like shite, he spends too much time getting worked up over what is going on, and loses the Zen.
The quality of that save warrents a higher rating.

spot-on
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM

^ this

jaxul
04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Any clean sheet has to be worth at least 7 no? Aside from the one great save, he came off his line very well and he was alert for the entire match. By no means was he as busy as during the Seattle match but still...I didn't see any flaws in his game.

Ron Manager
04-29-2010, 03:25 PM

I said the same thing at the time. Brown gets a red card and deserves a thank you card.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-29-2010, 05:15 PM
i admit DeGuzman didnt have a great game but i suspect its because he was tired and it wasnt as terrible as some people make out to be. I still think we will see alot from him in the future.