PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Mutu to MLS?

Troll
04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/04/28/1898921/fiorentina-striker-adrian-mutu-in-major-league-soccer-link

He'd tear this league up, and would surely be the answer to our lack of scoring up front.

Roogsy
04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Doesn't he still owe a gazillion dollars from the judgement against him?

rocker
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
His wiki says he can't play til October due to a drug suspension. does that apply here?

Shaughno
04-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Wasn't he just suspended for like 6 months too?

Troll
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
"Capital M"?

LOL!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
04-28-2010, 08:54 AM
yea MO's working on it!....ITS MASSIVE!

J .
04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Roll him up a $20 and sign him

drewski
04-28-2010, 09:26 AM
His wiki says he can't play til October due to a drug suspension. does that apply here?

I imagine FIFA has a rule where leagues sanctioned by its members must respect other leagues doping suspensions

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I would love Mutu here. The drug suspension is a bit of a joke... it was for a weight loss drug which had only been banned the previous month, which a wide number of sources say was in a nutritional supplement Mutu picked up in Romania over the Christmas break. They're making an example out of him, and it's easy to do so, because he's already been through the whole Chelsea cocaine debacle.

trane
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM
^ You are not exactly impartial when it comes to Mutu. I do not know why I get that feeling.

Dirk Diggler
04-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Who the heck in MLS is going to sign him? Isn't he on hook for like $30 million that he owes to Chelsea? No one is going to pay him that much money.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
LOL, maybe so, but he tested positive three times in a row... after knowing that he had already tested positive. What kind of moron would keep taking the same thing after knowing he had already been caught for it? More likely it just stayed in his system. Not to mention, cocaine and a weight loss supplement aren't exactly performance-enhancing...

He's a great player, that's why I like him. :)

drewski
04-28-2010, 09:54 AM
a weight loss supplement aren't exactly performance-enhancing...

its classified as a stimulant (which is usually a shared effect of weight loss drugs), and is in same category as ephedrine and adrenaline

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-28-2010, 09:56 AM
oh man, mutu playing with mo at the helm.......it'll be like the fukking 1985 new york mets all over again. maybe mutu will give us one of these celebrations:

lsAUL03Xse0&feature

Oblio2
04-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Why is it, everyone who is rumoured to come here will "tear up this league" ?

Suds
04-28-2010, 10:02 AM
It's finny how some people want to rip on Mo for his alleged past issues with drugs and some people want to give Mutu a pass ... serious double standard.

Hopefully Mutu cleans up his act because he really is a talented player. He would tear the MLS apart if he came at this stage of his career.

Troll
04-28-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm not sure, but are you saying Mutu wouldn't?

stuart.mac
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Because the league needs torn :)

Shaughno
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Cause it's more fun to speculate than...

"Dude, Mutu would come here and totally shit the bed"

DangerRed
04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
LOL, maybe so, but he tested positive three times in a row... after knowing that he had already tested positive. What kind of moron would keep taking the same thing after knowing he had already been caught for it? More likely it just stayed in his system. Not to mention, cocaine and a weight loss supplement aren't exactly performance-enhancing...

Cocaine isn't a performance enhancer?

http://totalgadha.com/tgtown/myblog/files/2010/01/diego_maradona.jpg

Whoop
04-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Maybe not after prolonged or excessive use...

But man, can they give you energy...

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-28-2010, 10:13 AM
He was essentially out of the game by the age of 32, and was continuously overweight from the mid-eighties onwards... so it didn't do a lot for him in the end. ;)

I've never done cocaine, so I can't say personally, but isn't the whole idea that it makes you twitchy and paranoid?

Oblio2
04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Cause it's more fun to speculate than...

"Dude, Mutu would come here and totally shit the bed"

ok..i lol'd

Whoop
04-28-2010, 10:17 AM
He was essentially out of the game by the age of 32, and was continuously overweight from the mid-eighties onwards... I can see how cocaine would help in a sport like boxing or rugby, but being in a paranoid, twitchy state during a football match doesn't strike me as something that would help performance.

Again, in the right doses, it can give you an energy boost.

Why do you think hockey players take Sudafed?

You might need a bigger dose of Sudafed/weight loss supplements (essentially ephedrine) than you would probably need of cocaine.

It's easier to claim "it was just a weight loss supplement" than trying to claim you didn't do cocaine, hence the reason athletes look for more "credible" forms of energy boosts.

nobodybeatsthewiz
04-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I've never done cocaine, so I can't say personally, but isn't the whole idea that it makes you twitchy and paranoid?

its no meth, but its certainly a stimulant.

Whoop
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM
He was essentially out of the game by the age of 32, and was continuously overweight from the mid-eighties onwards... so it didn't do a lot for him in the end. ;)

That's probably from excessive use.

Any substance you abuse will lead to side effects.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G9OhG-dZdAwC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA89#v=onepage&q&f=false

drewski
04-28-2010, 10:21 AM
coke sure is a stimulant, but the other side effects (tremors, hallucinations/visual perception, etc) make it not so good for sporting use

the weight loss drug on the other would almost certainly give a net gain in performance

EDIT: ...BUT, a lot of these supps these days try to hide/obfuscate the ingredients so it can be real tough for athletes sometimes. but if you get nailed for a second time for taking the same supp, that's your own damn fault

Whoop
04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
And the reason most athletes look for different sources of ephedrine is because cocaine can be addictive. Ingesting weight loss supplements/Sudafed/etc isn't or it isn't as likely to be as addictive.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-28-2010, 10:27 AM
^ OK, I do see your point. I guess I was wrong about cocaine. The reason I was skeptical as to whether he was using it as a performance-enhancer, though, is that by all accounts he did cocaine at parties... and part of the reason he had a poor relationship with Mourinho to begin with is because he spent so much time partying and staying out at night and going to clubs.

I'd imagine there are more effective (and more difficult to get caught with) ways to get an illegal energy boost without the side effects.

koryo
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't see Mutu coming to this league.

MLS wages don't buy you much coke.

Broadview
04-28-2010, 11:44 AM
The bad guy from Zoolander???
What if the other team has a guy who can do Blue Steel?

TFCUNITED
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
ok..i lol'd

LOL. +1

canadian_bhoy
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Hmm...

Played in UK - Check
Big/Well known name - Check
Tons of baggage - Check
Past his best - Check

Sounds like the perfect Mo Johnston signing if you ask me!

Serb_Star
04-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Mutu is definitely not passed his best, he was putting in World class performances throughout 2009.

He would easily be MLS top scorer.

Damien
04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
The bad guy from Zoolander???
What if the other team has a guy who can do Blue Steel?

Haha... Mugatu!
Dereliict!
http://www.movietrain.net/images/ferell.jpg

PASQUALE
04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2010/04/28/1898921/fiorentina-striker-adrian-mutu-in-major-league-soccer-link

He'd tear this league up, and would surely be the answer to our lack of scoring up front.
I AGREE 100%, BUT THERE IS NO CHANCE YOU'LL SEE HIM IN TORONTO.

jaxul
04-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I've been following Mutu since the beginning of his career in Romania and I believe he can still play especially since the MLS is the equivalent to a second tier league in most countries in Europe. He made a bunch of bad decisions along the way and he is paying for them. He could have had success at Chelsea and did have a lot of success in Italy. If players like Angel and Ljunberg came over...so could Mutu...problem is he will have to be a franchise designated player...and Toronto already has JDG?

Regardless what team he end up with, if he does make it to the MLS I would pay to see what he has left in him :)

jimmyjazz
04-29-2010, 09:13 AM
And the reason most athletes look for different sources of ephedrine is because cocaine can be addictive. Ingesting weight loss supplements/Sudafed/etc isn't or it isn't as likely to be as addictive.

Is it not the case that most of the concern that relates to these stimulants from the anti-doping perspective is that they are used as masking agents for real PED's?

Jim

drewski
04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Is it not the case that most of the concern that relates to these stimulants from the anti-doping perspective is that they are used as masking agents for real PED's?

Jim

some may have a masking side effect, but the primary effect of stimulants is performance enhancement.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2010, 09:20 AM
He's not past his best. He was having another outstanding season at Fiorentina up until his ban.

trane
04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't see Mutu coming to this league.

MLS wages don't buy you much coke.

Not much coke , but lots of crack.

I am Canadian, so you are saying that both the EPL and Serie A are conspiring againts Mutu?

gtaguy
04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
any club would be lucky to have Mutu.. Tell me what footballer doesn't have some type of personal problem he's dealing with

trane
04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
^ I am sure there is plenty. Kaka for example seems to be stand up guy, Pirlo, Pato, Rooney, I mean I can go on and on.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Not much coke , but lots of crack.

I am Canadian, so you are saying that both the EPL and Serie A are conspiring againts Mutu?
Nope... it's the Illuminati.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/ChristianEyeOfProvidence.png

I just think he was treated harshly over this because of his previous history.

jaxul
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Isn't it normal to treat a repeat offender more harshly than if it was his first time?

trane
04-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Nope... it's the Illuminati.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/ChristianEyeOfProvidence.png

Its the lodgia P2; if you do not know ask Vecchia.

poppamidnight
04-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Cap-wise, could we even afford another DP right now?
Who can we get rid of?
I mean we'd all love to get rid of a Garcia, Barrett, or Saric (isn't he 80-90,000?) salary, but nobody will take them...where hooped?

EDIT: as for Mutu himself, of course I'd love to have him here... Everybody does stupid s*** when their younger, so I have no issues w/ his past character concerns

twistedchinaman
04-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Hmm...

Played in UK - Check
Big/Well known name - Check
Tons of baggage - Check
Past his best - Check

Sounds like the perfect Mo Johnston signing if you ask me!

Oh snap!

:lol:

twistedchinaman
04-29-2010, 11:24 PM
As for Adrian Mutu...no thank you.

Still waiting for Eugene Dadi or Paul Ifill -- more goals, less baggage.

jaxul
04-30-2010, 07:56 AM
According to Fiorentina owner Andrea Della Valle reassured everyone that he will be staying with the team. His salary has been cut in half but he is staying with Fiorentina.

TFCREDNWHITE
04-30-2010, 10:12 AM
According to Fiorentina owner Andrea Della Valle reassured everyone that he will be staying with the team. His salary has been cut in half but he is staying with Fiorentina.

well that sucks......:(

Blixa
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
As a player he'd be fine at MLS, but the guy's a headcase and in a city like this one he'd lose it in no time.