PDA

View Full Version : Issue with the North Stands

s2cazz
04-26-2010, 10:32 PM
All of you who know me know that I am not a SSH, I live too far away. For the seatlle game I had the opportunity to check out the new North stand. (I sat in section 134 row 11)

I will start with the pros:

AMAZING view of the Pitch. can see everything really well. (It does help that both goals were right in front).

Cons:

Every one was standing in my section. Which was GREAT. however, security kept coming to the top of the entry stairs and yelling for everyone to sit down. The chairs were soaked and the security was not very nice about it. I'm just glad no one listened. There were a few people who preferred to sit however the people standing made sure not to obstruct their view.

The second issue i had is a pretty big one. I hope MLSinToronto reads this one. The stairs were very very slippery when they were wet. I have been in other sections when it rained and they were not as bad as this one. I almost fell on my ass but was able to catch the railing and saved myself. The young boy (8-10y old) a few people behind me was not so lucky. He ended up ass over tea kettle and from the look on his face it didn't look good. I also saw another person fall as well.

I'm not tying to bitch and be a pain in the ass but I figure this is the type of thing the FO and everyone else would like to know about.

ilikemusic
04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Unless MLSE is going to give out seat covers (or a roof if were dreaming) I cant see how they can tell people to sit down and soak their ass in a wet seat. Thats like something a school yard bully does, making you sit in a puddle.

s2cazz
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Unless MLSE is going to give out seat covers (or a roof if were dreaming) I cant see how they can tell people to sit down and soak their ass in a wet seat. Thats like something a school yard bully does, making you sit in a puddle.

Yeah it was pretty stupid. My biggest concern was for the poor boy who fell. He went down hard. The rubber or whatever it is covering the steps was very slippery. They should look into something to stop you from slipping like that grip tape.

Cashcleaner
04-27-2010, 07:40 AM
All of those seem like good, reasonable points. Are you sure you're at the right TFC soccer forums? LOL!

Good to hear the view from the North End is okay, as well. The only downside I sorta see with it is the fact you don't have a viewscreen on the opposite end of the pitch to look at for time, replays, etc.

Shakes McQueen
04-27-2010, 07:52 AM

I'm guessing it never occurred to the security folks that the seats were soaking wet. I don't think it's big bad MLSE trying to force people to sit in water.

Nonetheless, it's important to bring stuff like this to the FO's attention, so it doesn't happen again.

- Scott

MartinUtd
04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Maybe that can do a shamwow give away with a BMO or Carlsberg logo on it. It would be the only useful corporate logo plastered crap they'd ever circulate.

prizby
04-27-2010, 08:50 AM
last year 227 was suppose to be the "family" section, yet when my little sister went to the game she learned a whole new diverse use of swear words and security after being asked several times did nothing about it

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
last year 227 was suppose to be the "family" section, yet when my little sister went to the game she learned a whole new diverse use of swear words and security after being asked several times did nothing about it
227 doesn't seem like exactly the smartest area for a family section... Seeing as it's directly above NEE. Wouldn't the middle of the west stand, or the even tamer east stand make more sense?

Gixmo
04-27-2010, 08:58 AM
No rubber or anti slip on the stairs?

Thats a valid point, Good idea to bring forth. I'm sure the club will take some of those ideals into consideration!

Eastend
04-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Good point about the wet stairs. Why not contact the club directly if you haven't done so yet?

fetajr
04-27-2010, 09:06 AM
the flatscreen TVs were getting wet underneath the stands too...wish they'd turn them around so that us in the beer patio can watch the replays

Stryker
04-27-2010, 09:24 AM
That's an easy fix guys. They just need to throw down grip strips. I'm sure if you bring it to their attention it'll be fixed for the next game. They wouldn't want an accident and get sued.

MKR
04-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Good to hear the view from the North End is okay, as well. The only downside I sorta see with it is the fact you don't have a viewscreen on the opposite end of the pitch to look at for time, replays, etc.

I was there for the first time too, and actually they did have two timers in the south end (one on each side) for the north stand fans to see the times.

This was good. I never really look at the video screen anyways as they NEVER show the replays you want to see (i.e. fouls and offsides).

And yeah - i also found the stairs pretty slippery. they did have one thin rubber line at the end of each step, but it wasn't very effective. I was extra cautious.

rocker
04-27-2010, 09:44 AM
why do people get so worked up about a little water on their seats? I sit in foldup seats too and it's not that bad when it has been raining. I see men in front of me with KLeenex wiping down the seats. Just sit down. It's fine. :)
One guy brought garbage bags to sit down down on (again, these are foldup seats so there's no water pooling on them).

Globetrotter
04-27-2010, 09:50 AM
416 360 GOAL? Or take your pick... http://www.torontofc.ca/team-staff

that's where you get answers or properly inform everyone.

torontocelt
04-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Every one was standing in my section. Which was GREAT. however, security kept coming to the top of the entry stairs and yelling for everyone to sit down. The chairs were soaked and the security was not very nice about it. I'm just glad no one listened. There were a few people who preferred to sit however the people standing made sure not to obstruct their view.

Those rain droplets are killers, it is inhumane to expect someone to sit down on those.

This entire standing / sitting thing is ridiculous, people need to understand that you cannot stand in a sitting area and if you do then you should be liable to be thrown out. People do not pay good money to quite rightly sit in a sitting area and have their view obstructed, it is crazy, ignorant, selfish and just rude of the person standing. If people want to stand go and stand in a standing area of the stadium or in the beer garden.

J .
04-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Those rain droplets are killers, it is inhumane to expect someone to sit down on those.

This entire standing / sitting thing is ridiculous, people need to understand that you cannot stand in a sitting area and if you do then you should be liable to be thrown out. People do not pay good money to quite rightly sit in a sitting area and have their view obstructed, it is crazy, ignorant, selfish and just rude of the person standing. If people want to stand go and stand in a standing area of the stadium or in the beer garden.

I think people who sit in a standing section should be thrown out. Its ridiculous, silly and rude to sit in a standing section.

s2cazz
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM

For your information the seats were wet. The stands were empty. No ones view was blocked at all. I could see if all the seats were full but people were in little pockets all over and it didn't hurt anyone.

Besides, if MLSE would get a grip on the scalper situation I could have bought tix in the standing section where I wanted to be all along.

saint2e
04-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, first time poster, and on Sunday was a first time attender of a TFC game.

First of all, LOVED the atmosphere. I was in the North Stands, section 131, and we had the NEE group down to the right of us. Managed to pick up a few of the songs/chants they were singing, and over the course of the game, some of the other folks around me did too. There weren't a lot of us in the section, but what fans were there were very vocal by the end of the game, which is fine by me. I would say that BMO Field is much MUCH more louder and boisterous than Old Trafford, having attended 2 ManU games while I lived over in England for 2 years. Needless to say, TFC have a fan for life with me.

That being said, I did find the North Stands a bit... dangerous in the rain. As well, the "concourse" below the North Stands had no texture to it, and I found myself sliding around on it, as I was just wearing sneakers with minimal amounts of tread. The seats werne't too bad, they flipped up, and I didn't have to sit in too much dampness, but the stairs were a nightmare. I made sure that I held the railing because I didn't trust them at all.

All in all it was a phenomenal experience, and I'm hoping that I can make it out again soon. Preferably in one of the standing areas or one of the Supporter's sections to get that experience. I ended up sitting most of the match as I was mindful of the people behind me who were sitting as well, so being closer to the more boisterous attendees would be fantastic.

jabbronies
04-28-2010, 12:46 PM
I didn't sit there, but friends of mine had this complaint:

No view of the scoreboard! They couldn't tell what the score was or the time remaining in the half.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Hey guys, first time poster, and on Sunday was a first time attender of a TFC game.

First of all, LOVED the atmosphere. I was in the North Stands, section 131, and we had the NEE group down to the right of us. Managed to pick up a few of the songs/chants they were singing, and over the course of the game, some of the other folks around me did too. There weren't a lot of us in the section, but what fans were there were very vocal by the end of the game, which is fine by me. I would say that BMO Field is much MUCH more louder and boisterous than Old Trafford, having attended 2 ManU games while I lived over in England for 2 years. Needless to say, TFC have a fan for life with me.

That being said, I did find the North Stands a bit... dangerous in the rain. As well, the "concourse" below the North Stands had no texture to it, and I found myself sliding around on it, as I was just wearing sneakers with minimal amounts of tread. The seats werne't too bad, they flipped up, and I didn't have to sit in too much dampness, but the stairs were a nightmare. I made sure that I held the railing because I didn't trust them at all.

All in all it was a phenomenal experience, and I'm hoping that I can make it out again soon. Preferably in one of the standing areas or one of the Supporter's sections to get that experience. I ended up sitting most of the match as I was mindful of the people behind me who were sitting as well, so being closer to the more boisterous attendees would be fantastic.
Awesome! :D Even last season the temporary north stand looked like a cool place to see the game, and with a good atmosphere. Would love to get tickets in there one of these days, glad you enjoyed it.

tfcleeds
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Meh, doesn't take much to just turn your head once in awhile to check time remaining, etc. All other things being equal, I think the seats in the North End are great - you have a great view of the pitch (and I guess it doesn't hurt that 3 out of the 4 goals TFC have scored at home this year have been in that end as well).

saint2e
04-28-2010, 12:51 PM

No view of the scoreboard! They couldn't tell what the score was or the time remaining in the half.

There are two video boards in the corners at the other end of the field that had both the score and the time remaining. Pretty sure they're there for the players/refs benefit, but they were plainly visible from where I was sitting.

Still craned my neck around to view replays on the scoreboard.

Carefree
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM

I hope you're joking.

s2cazz
05-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Meh, doesn't take much to just turn your head once in awhile to check time remaining, etc. All other things being equal, I think the seats in the North End are great - you have a great view of the pitch (and I guess it doesn't hurt that 3 out of the 4 goals TFC have scored at home this year have been in that end as well).

If you watch the game you know the score. If you are too pissed up to remember you can turn around and see the score board lol.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs469.ash1/25749_10150168630725545_624165544_11899145_7165327 _n.jpg
Plus they put clocks in the corners of the south end so you can see the time.

Its up high so the view is good.

Erkan16
05-03-2010, 09:48 PM
common ppl... there are score clocks on the south end if you cant turn your head around, haha.

i was in the north last weekend, my first time there. and as the original poster said the stairs were very slippery. i distinctly remember walking very very very carefully up and down the stairs and holding the rail to not slip on the wet surface.

James17930
05-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Weird -- you'd think grip strips would be obvious. Strange they didn't put them in.

nfitz
05-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Weird -- you'd think grip strips would be obvious. Strange they didn't put them in.With the rain in the north stands, I saw what the problem was yesterday ... as I started to slide down the stairs with my 2-year old; fortunately I had one hand near the railing, and grabbed on.

The metal stairs are fine; they grip well. But on the edges (corners) of each step is a black strip of plastic - about 1.5 cm wide along the edge of the stair, and along the top of the riser. When it is wet, it becomes frictionless. So if you walk down the stairs, and put your foot only on the black strip, you just start sliding.

Paul - this is very dangerous, and needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt.

I'm curious what the steps in the other sections look like when they are wet.

ExiledRed
05-09-2010, 10:55 AM

I learned all those words and more as an eight year old in the kop, and it didnt do me the slightest bit of fucking harm.

Im a well adjusted, affable, friendly chap.