PDA

View Full Version : Canadian players fall in love with Montreal pitch

Jack
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
This is too much!

MONTREAL -- The Canadian national men's soccer team wants to make Montreal's Saputo Stadium home for all future FIFA World Cup qualifying matches, but the players aren't sure if those calling the shots are listening to them.
"Everyone has agreed this is the best pitch there is in Canada, but the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association) and whoever works for the CSA want us to play in (Toronto's) BMO Field and Edmonton as well," midfielder Julian de Guzman said Thursday. "Stuff like that will affect us immensely going toward the World Cup. We feel very comfortable right here."
Canada takes to the lush grass surface for its first game ever at Saputo Stadium tonight when it faces St. Vincent & the Grenadines in the return leg of a two-game, total-goals series in CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
Canada has a virtual lock on the series after a 3-0 victory in the first leg played in St. Vincent last Sunday. A win tonight and Canada moves to Stage 3 of qualifying - a round-robin tournament against Jamaica and Honduras plus the winner of the two-game series between Mexico and Belize, beginning in August.
Saputo Stadium, a $15-million, 13,000-plus seat soccer-specific facility at Olympic Park, is the new home of the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues First Division. But after only a couple of days of practice, it's become clear the senior men's team wants to call it home in an effort to make the most of its bid to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986.
BMO Field, the home to Toronto FC of Major League Soccer, has the label as Canada's national soccer stadium, home to all of the country's national teams through a deal between the City of Toronto, which owns the facility, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., which manages it, and the CSA, which is contractually obligated to play at least six national team-related games there every year. Those games, however, are not limited to the national senior men's squad.
The major drawback for the players at BMO is its synthetic surface. The vast majority of the national senior men's team play on natural grass with teams in Europe.
"The pitch is absolutely fantastic. Probably the best I've played on in Canada in my life," said team captain Paul Stalteri, a 30-year-old defender/midfielder from Etobicoke, Ont., who is playing with Fulham of the English Premier League while on loan from Totenham United.
"It's right up there with any European pitch I've played on, so all compliments to the stadium and Mr. Joey Saputo (Impact president). He's done a fantastic job putting this stadium together with the priority of having a fantastic pitch to play on."
De Guzman, 27, a defender/midfielder from Toronto, is in his fourth season with Deportivo de La Coruna in Spain's La Liga. He's the first Canadian to play in that country's first division and said being forced to play at BMO is one of the things hampering development of the national program.
"Canada still takes too many steps backwards and leaves itself short," De Guzman said.
"They haven't really done much yet," he added when asked what the CSA has done to change things. "There are guys who have opened up their time for us to hear what we need to better the program. But in the end, it comes down to whether they live up to their promises.
"There have been a lot of empty promises made. For us, it's not just about who we have facing us on the pitch, it's also about having to play against the people we work for."
CSA chairman Dominic Maestracci told a news conference in April that the decision to stage a qualifying game here represented "a new step in the relationship between the association and professional clubs in Canada."
At the same time, it was made clear by national team head coach Dale Mitchell that playing on grass was his and the players' preference.
"It's what the players are used to," Mitchell said. "Ninety per cent of the guys on the team are based in Europe and grass is what they're used to, not turf. It's an issue of them feeling more comfortable playing on what they're used to."
Goalkeeper Greg Sutton, in his second season with Toronto FC after five years with the Impact, said players on the national team were prepared to continue to press the issue with the CSA, but wouldn't say how far they were prepared to go.
"Playing on grass and being on the East Coast, we feel it's the best chance for us to do what we're trying to do," Sutton said. "We're making a stand to a degree and we're hoping they can understand that and that we're adamant about it.
"Unfortunately, we can't do too much, but we can do something that maybe could cause a lot of problems if we do what we say we might do. But we are hoping the CSA will come around and help us achieve what we want to achieve in terms of qualifying.
"If we can do that on this field, that's what we'll do."
Montreal Gazette

denime
06-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Since is posted on National Post no link.Read it all here ;)
Canadian players fall in love with Montreal pitch

MONTREAL -- The Canadian national men's soccer team wants to make Montreal's Saputo Stadium home for all future FIFA World Cup qualifying matches, but the players aren't sure if those calling the shots are listening to them.
"Everyone has agreed this is the best pitch there is in Canada, but the CSA (Canadian Soccer Association) and whoever works for the CSA want us to play in (Toronto's) BMO Field and Edmonton as well," midfielder Julian de Guzman said Thursday. "Stuff like that will affect us immensely going toward the World Cup. We feel very comfortable right here.":mad:
Canada takes to the lush grass surface for its first game ever at Saputo Stadium tonight when it faces St. Vincent & the Grenadines in the return leg of a two-game, total-goals series in CONCACAF qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
Canada has a virtual lock on the series after a 3-0 victory in the first leg played in St. Vincent last Sunday. A win tonight and Canada moves to Stage 3 of qualifying - a round-robin tournament against Jamaica and Honduras plus the winner of the two-game series between Mexico and Belize, beginning in August.
Saputo Stadium, a $15-million, 13,000-plus seat soccer-specific facility at Olympic Park, is the new home of the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues First Division. But after only a couple of days of practice, it's become clear the senior men's team wants to call it home in an effort to make the most of its bid to qualify for the World Cup for the first time since 1986.
BMO Field, the home to Toronto FC of Major League Soccer, has the label as Canada's national soccer stadium, home to all of the country's national teams through a deal between the City of Toronto, which owns the facility, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd., which manages it, and the CSA, which is contractually obligated to play at least six national team-related games there every year. Those games, however, are not limited to the national senior men's squad.:banghead:
The major drawback for the players at BMO is its synthetic surface. The vast majority of the national senior men's team play on natural grass with teams in Europe.
"The pitch is absolutely fantastic. Probably the best I've played on in Canada in my life," said team captain Paul Stalteri, a 30-year-old defender/midfielder from Etobicoke, Ont., who is playing with Fulham of the English Premier League while on loan from Totenham United.
"It's right up there with any European pitch I've played on, so all compliments to the stadium and Mr. Joey Saputo (Impact president). He's done a fantastic job putting this stadium together with the priority of having a fantastic pitch to play on."
De Guzman, 27, a defender/midfielder from Toronto, is in his fourth season with Deportivo de La Coruna in Spain's La Liga. He's the first Canadian to play in that country's first division and said being forced to play at BMO is one of the things hampering development of the national program.
"Canada still takes too many steps backwards and leaves itself short," De Guzman said.
"They haven't really done much yet," he added when asked what the CSA has done to change things. "There are guys who have opened up their time for us to hear what we need to better the program. But in the end, it comes down to whether they live up to their promises.
"There have been a lot of empty promises made. For us, it's not just about who we have facing us on the pitch, it's also about having to play against the people we work for."
CSA chairman Dominic Maestracci told a news conference in April that the decision to stage a qualifying game here represented "a new step in the relationship between the association and professional clubs in Canada."
At the same time, it was made clear by national team head coach Dale Mitchell that playing on grass was his and the players' preference.
"It's what the players are used to," Mitchell said. "Ninety per cent of the guys on the team are based in Europe and grass is what they're used to, not turf. It's an issue of them feeling more comfortable playing on what they're used to."
Goalkeeper Greg Sutton, in his second season with Toronto FC after five years with the Impact, said players on the national team were prepared to continue to press the issue with the CSA, but wouldn't say how far they were prepared to go.
"Playing on grass and being on the East Coast, we feel it's the best chance for us to do what we're trying to do," Sutton said. "We're making a stand to a degree and we're hoping they can understand that and that we're adamant about it.
"Unfortunately, we can't do too much, but we can do something that maybe could cause a lot of problems if we do what we say we might do. But we are hoping the CSA will come around and help us achieve what we want to achieve in terms of qualifying.
"If we can do that on this field, that's what we'll do."

JonO
06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Fucking unreal - anyone know how the ticket sales in Montreal are going?

MFG1
06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Sounds like BMO field turf is turning into a:
http://www.eltoroairport.org/images/white-elephant.jpg

I am interetsed in this stories and others like it during the off season. My lawn has never looked better than right now, too!!

denime
06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
We can kiss goodbye WCQ games in Toronto.
F*CK the CSA and Fu#K City Of Toronto :sheep:and all those morons that where involved in making decision to go with God damn Turf.:puke:

Northern Soul
06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
"Totenham United"???? WTF?

Jack
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I just posted this

denime
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
It is posted in news forum:
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2212

And no lonks to National Post,that is for :yellow: ;)

ops you reacted really fast.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Canadian players whinning again...well at least not seats on a plane this time..its just grass..if thats the Canadian players attitude i hope they get dumped out of the wcq in the next stage...fuck them!!

SilverSamurai
06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
If this doesn't get MLSE to change it nothing will.
They just have to see how much $$$ they're going to lose in beer sales.
I predict (and hope) grass for next season.

BakaGaijin
06-19-2008, 09:36 PM
This sucks for the propects of watching the CMNT in Toronto, however, there will be more oppourtunities to return to Montreal to watch the CMNT.......and to return to Club Supersexxx!!!

I think if the players on the CMNT want to play in Tuktiyuktuk, then we should build them a pitch there to play on. Qualifying for the World Cup is the only thing that matters.

dantdot
06-19-2008, 09:43 PM
When the best players in the country don't want to play in your national soccer stadium, you have a serious problem. What an embarrassment for the city and MLSE, what's it going to take to change?

Dunkers
06-19-2008, 09:45 PM
This blows, 20,000 people in the GTA would jump at the chance to root for the CMNT live, but its not going to happen anytime soon, good luck with your qualification guys, just don't be surprised if a large part of the population doesn't know or care, thanks for snubbing the rest of Canada guys.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 09:54 PM
This blows, 20,000 people in the GTA would jump at the chance to root for the CMNT live, but its not going to happen anytime soon, good luck with your qualification guys, just don't be surprised if a large part of the population doesn't know or care, thanks for snubbing the rest of Canada guys.

come on st vincent a 4-0 win tomorrown night please!! that will show the rats on the national team!!

greatwhitenorf
06-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Gently Bentley. They're doing us a favour by being critical of the turf. They have a right to speak their piece about what surface they prefer to play on. The coach has an obligation to try to keep his players happy.

I want grass as much as the next guy. But we wouldn't have gotten Our House built without it there in the first place. Now that it's built, it's time to move the furniture around a little and do a little landscaping.

We'll get more seats soon enough and the grass will come as well. The nats want to play here big time and this is their way of sparking up the process. Good for them for speaking out. I bet they have Dale Mitchell's blessing to do so.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2008, 10:12 PM
If the players are happy......and they feel better playing in montreal on a First class surface...I'd say fuck BMO field..and let them play in montreal for the entire journy!!! MAkeing the world cup is PRIORITY!!

The whole field turf was a joke from the beginning!!! Mabey they'll realize this now...and get it the fuck out of BMO!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Gently Bentley. They're doing us a favour by being critical of the turf. They have a right to speak their piece about what surface they prefer to play on. The coach has an obligation to try to keep his players happy.

I want grass as much as the next guy. But we wouldn't have gotten Our House built without it there in the first place. Now that it's built, it's time to move the furniture around a little and do a little landscaping.

We'll get more seats soon enough and the grass will come as well. The nats want to play here big time and this is their way of sparking up the process. Good for them for speaking out. I bet they have Dale Mitchell's blessing to do so.

the problem is the players are running the nut house once agin, they should play where they are told. you think grass is coming to BMO?
cant see that, with the public using it in the winter. our players have got to get their act together. If Fifa ok's the field turf then it fine. Dale mitchell is a twit, the quicker he gets canned the better..

James17930
06-19-2008, 10:18 PM

I agree. This is how things are going to get done. It's fantastic the players are speaking out, and we should support them. I'm not as much against the turf as some others, but I do agree that grass should be put done eventually. Hopefully this will help to expedite the process.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I agree. This is how things are going to get done. It's fantastic the players are speaking out, and we should support them. I'm not as much against the turf as some others, but I do agree that grass should be put done eventually. Hopefully this will help to expedite the process.

but its the city of Toronto that needs to put the turf in, and whats that gonna cost? 500,000 -1,000,000 with proper drainage? i can see the city of TO going for that!!

Jack
06-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Mighty, if you think the players should just "do what they're told" by the incompetent CSA, give your head a shake.

They're finally asking for the CSA to do something to make the team successful.

Is that a hard concept for you?

denime
06-19-2008, 10:27 PM
come on st vincent a 4-0 win tomorrown night please!! that will show the rats on the national team!!
:dita: from CMNT fan

noochie
06-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I support the players, I would rather see them play in Montreal if that is what they feel will make their run successful. Blame the city, clearly the ownership group in Montreal has the goods, good on them.

I won't hold my breath on grass at BMO.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Mighty, if you think the players should just "do what they're told" by the incompetent CSA, give your head a shake.

They're finally asking for the CSA to do something to make the team successful.

Is that a hard concept for you?

but i do (did) want to the support the team in person not on the freaking tv, the players egos are running this team and thats the sad part. If BMO does get grass they should remember what the players did asking for games to be played in Montreal, and don't allow the team in BMO. hows playing on grass going to help...last time round the played on grass in BC and lost to guatemala...remember, the played terrible in edmonton....grass

Jack
06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
but i do (did) want to the support the team in person not on the freaking tv, the players egos are running this team and thats the sad part. If BMO does get grass they should remember what the players did asking for games to be played in Montreal, and don't allow the team in BMO

The point here is that the CSA is incomptent and the players and MANAGER of the CMNT are both wanting to play on grass. It's not about their egos. They've stuck with Canada DESPITE the CSA and now they are in a position to do something good and they are asking to have the best opportunity to WIN FOR THEIR COUNTRY. They feel that the best opportunity is by playing on GRASS.

I have a feeling you're just being obtuse for the hell of it or you're drunk or something.

werewolf
06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I better get used the amenities around Stade Saputo and keep note of where the speed traps are on the 401, looks like I will be frequenting that route in the next year or two at least.

CretanBull
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
MLSE needs to swallow it's pride and not only put in grass, but get the same people who laid it down in Montreal to do it here. If the player's are comparing it to the kind of quality pitches that they have in Europe, we need exactly the same thing here.

ilikemusic
06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Good.

If the SMNT bailing on BMO doesnt force someones hand for real grass then nothing will.

The sad thing is everyone knows Canada games in Toronto would be exactly like Toronto matches if MLSE were handed the reins for ticket sales and we had a surface that our best players felt comfortable playing on.

Hopefully this is just another step towards grass at BMO.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
The point here is that the CSA is incomptent and the players and MANAGER of the CMNT are both wanting to play on grass. It's not about their egos. They've stuck with Canada DESPITE the CSA and now they are in a position to do something good and they are asking to have the best opportunity to WIN FOR THEIR COUNTRY. They feel that the best opportunity is by playing on GRASS.

I have a feeling you're just being obtuse for the hell of it or you're drunk or something.

Neither just mad as hell at the players for pulling another stunt. but the fact remains,with Mexico, USA, Costa Rica,Jamiaca, Honduras,Guatemala
we don;'t really have to worry about the side actually making it to south
africa, hell they won't get past the second rd!!

Jack
06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Neither just mad as hell at the players for pulling another stunt. but the fact remains,with Mexico, USA, Costa Rica,Jamiaca, Honduras,Guatemala

We should finish ahead of these countries.

And this isn't a stunt. It's players tired of the same old shit finally seeing they have some public opinion behind them and standing up for themselves.

Big difference.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:40 PM
MLSE needs to swallow it's pride and not only put in grass, but get the same people who laid it down in Montreal to do it here. If the player's are comparing it to the kind of quality pitches that they have in Europe, we need exactly the same thing here.

its the city of Torontos stadium not MLSE, so ask the city to lay the grass down. whats MLSE to do if the city refuses, play somewhere else?
Field turf is here for the long term.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
We should finish ahead of these countries.

And this isn't a stunt. It's players tired of the same old shit finally seeing they have some public opinion behind them and standing up for themselves.

Big difference.

these countries are playing together on a regular basis, not like Canada 3-4 games a season if that. what makes you think we can compete with them, just because we barely lost against a 2nd team of brazil players?
this is the same team that got is ass kicked by estonia , Jack..estonia!!

Boris
06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
mighty, are you here really just to constantly stir the pot?
no matter what anyone says you have a counter to it

Jack
06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
What makes me think we can beat them is the fact that we have quality players, who are obviously tight as a group and standing up for each other.

They've played well in the recent matches we've seen from them, with a couple of exceptions. They had a great showing at the Gold Cup and only were eliminated by a douchebag linesman. Brazil's second team should be about what...the 20th best in the world?

CretanBull
06-19-2008, 10:53 PM
its the city of Torontos stadium not MLSE, so ask the city to lay the grass down. whats MLSE to do if the city refuses, play somewhere else?

Mlse are the opperating managers, if they wanted grass they'd get it. The city has conditions that it wants met, but if those conditions could be met with grass they wouldn't object.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 10:58 PM
mighty, are you here really just to constantly stir the pot?
no matter what anyone says you have a counter to it

No just don;t like the attitude of the National team players, people can
say it's all a turf issue, but there is more to it, there has to be. maybe they don't like TO, or the small crowds they bring into BMO to see them play? what happens if they get 7,000 in Montreal where will the want to play next?

Keyman
06-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Thank God!

This is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened. The only thing that is going to force the switch is constant crticism and a lack of CMNT games at BMO. With enough pressure from various groups, a change is bound to occur. It's just a matter of time in my opinion. I've always thought that we would have a grass pitch within the next 5 years. Stuff like this will only make that thought more realistic, and perhaps, make it come sooner.

And I honestly don't care where they play their matches. Would I like Canada to play in my hometown? Of course! But I put the players well being, comfort level, and overall chance of qualifying over being able to watch them in Toronto. I can always get to Montreal somehow!

SilverSamurai
Hate to break it to ya, but that was basically Brazil's A squad. With the exception 2-3 players that was it.
Sure they're not playing too well lately, but I was impressed.
I for 1 hope we get grass next year and can have a happy team here willing to play at BMO for the hex.

Boris
you just dont get what the team is doing. This is just going to show just how much you know. You keep saying the same thing but yet have no proof for anything...

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Mlse are the opperating managers, if they wanted grass they'd get it. The city has conditions that it wants met, but if those conditions could be met with grass they wouldn't object.

operating managers yes...owners NO...what conditions? MLSE would have to pay for field maintiance? keep the winter public use? not that would go on grass with the dome on it.

Boris
06-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Thank God!

This is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened. The only thing that is going to force the switch is constant crticism and a lack of CMNT games at BMO. With enough pressure from various groups, a change is bound to occur. It's just a matter of time in my opinion. I've always thought that we would have a grass pitch within the next 5 years. Stuff like this will only make that thought more realistic, and perhaps, make it come sooner.

And I honestly don't care where they play their matches. Would I like Canada to play in my hometown? Of course! But I put the players well being, comfort level, and overall chance of qualifying over being able to watch them in Toronto. I can always get to Montreal somehow!

dude...missed ya...lol....

TFC07
06-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Hopefully City of Toronto, CSA and I guess MLSE realize how much negative impact field turf makes now. They should feel shamed of themselves. You're losing a lot of international games and extra money because the field turf.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 11:03 PM
you just dont get what the team is doing. This is just going to show just how much you know. You keep saying the same thing but yet have no proof for anything...

yes they want to play on grass...well big deal...what happens, not likely if the get to south africaand have to play on one of the plastic pitches there, they refuse? field turf could be a home field advantage, they should use it!!

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Thank God!

Yeah fine...but they are also doing it at the expense of a large segment of their support. Let's face it, Montreal is not the most patriotic place in Canada, nor is it where you can tap companies for money.

If you want corporate investment in the Men's team, then you need to include corproate Canada in the formula.

And where is Corporate Canada found? Where is the largest Canadian soccer community found?

And then we wonder why people support their "old" countries over Canada. This makes me angry.

greatwhitenorf
06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
No just don;t like the attitude of the National team players, people can
say it's all a turf issue, but there is more to it, there has to be. maybe they don't like TO, or the small crowds they bring into BMO to see them play? what happens if they get 7,000 in Montreal where will the want to play next?

How about King George V Park in St. John's, Nfld., site of Canada's historic 1986 2-1 victory over Honduras, clinching qualification for the '86 World Cup in Mexico, our only visit to the great event.

Played on lush, dense, wet, gorgeously sexy and fragrant green grass. Wish I'd clipped some to save as a souvenir.

Boris
06-19-2008, 11:06 PM
yes they want to play on grass...well big deal...what happens, not likely if the get to south africaand have to play on one of the plastic pitches there, they refuse? field turf could be a home field advantage, they should use it!!

they wont have to play on carpet in 2010. They want the best conditions for their qualifying matches.

Like i said...no matter what anyone says you'll just have something to say against them. Ah well, ive had enough debates with kids for one night...

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Hopefully City of Toronto, CSA and I guess MLSE realize how much negative impact field turf makes now. They should feel shamed of themselves. You're losing a lot of international games and extra money because the field turf.

losing lost of Int;l games...we will lose out on 1 WCQ match, that won;t have them worried. CSA will have to play here or risk losing a fan base.
What TFC/MLSE should do is when the canadian team does not want to play here and play in Montreal, line up a big club friendly that would pack the place, something a national team game could not do!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 11:08 PM
they wont have to play on carpet in 2010. They want the best conditions for their qualifying matches.

Like i said...no matter what anyone says you'll just have something to say against them. Ah well, ive had enough debates with kids for one night...

yes there is a couple of artifical surfaces being used in South Africa,
and yes canada could end up playing on them.

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:09 PM
I am really upset about this.

And you know what? If I ever run into the players, I will remind them that this sort of shit is a good part of the reason why there was an attendance of 9000 at the Costa Rica game (in addition to the CSA's bumbling.)

And then you wonder why there are TFC fans who couldn't give a shit about the CMNT. It seems they couldn't give a shit about us either.

I understand the player's preference, and I support their protestations and pressure to have grass at BMO. But if they are outright giving Toronto the finger and saying they'd be ok with never playing here...then how are they supposed to expect Torontonians to support them?

I wish I hadn't seen this thread. Right before bed I am all worked up and angry.

Keyman
06-19-2008, 11:10 PM
dude...missed ya...lol....

Well, I'm glad I was missed lol
It's gonna suck being away from all this for the entire summer :(

Boris
06-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Well, I'm glad I was missed lol
It's gonna suck being away from all this for the entire summer :(

oye....yeah...that does suck....

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
I am really upset about this.

And you know what? If I ever run into the players, I will remind them that this sort of shit is a good part of the reason why there was an attendance of 9000 at the Costa Rica game (in addition to the CSA's bumbling.)

And then you wonder why there are TFC fans who couldn't give a shit about the CMNT. It seems they couldn't give a shit about us either.

I understand the player's preference, and I support their protestations and pressure to have grass at BMO. But if they are outright giving Toronto the finger and saying they'd be ok with never playing here...then how are they supposed to expect Torontonians to support them?

I wish I hadn't seen this thread. Right before bed I am all worked up and angry.

exactly...i was looking forward to a canadian national team game here in TO, now i hope they blow it and fail in the 2nd rd.

werewolf
06-19-2008, 11:13 PM

How is wanting to play on a superior pitch, a surface that they have played on almost their entire lives, a diss at us?

Boris
06-19-2008, 11:14 PM
exactly...i was looking forward to a canadian national team game here in TO, now i hope they blow it and fail in the 2nd rd.

wow...ok...im not getting what i want so im taking my ball and going home.
Great attitude...

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:15 PM

LOL! Wow man...you're all about making enemies around here aren't ya? :rofl:

But frighteningly enough, I kind of understand your sentiment. If they are giving me, a true-blue blind-faith Torontonian the finger...what do they expect from me when they come looking for support?

They'll find me supporting TFC that's what.

You'd never find Argentinian players giving the big F-U to Buenos Aires, or French players saying they'd be happy never to play in Paris. You damn well know that the Russians will definitely play in Moscow and ignore the new Wembley in England? Never!

But here? Here, our players whine and complain about wanting more support from the country's biggest city and then say..."meh...we'd be happy to play in Montreal".

Boris
06-19-2008, 11:16 PM
LOL! Wow man...you're all about making enemies around here aren't ya? :rofl:

But frighteningly enough, I kind of understand your sentiment. If they are giving me, a true-blue blind-faith Torontonian the finger...what do they expect from me when they come looking for support?

They'll find me supporting TFC that's what.

You'd never find Argentinian players giving the big F-U to Buenos Aires, or French players saying they'd be happy never to play in Paris. You damn well know that the Russians will definitely play in Moscow and ignore the new Wembley in England? Never!

But here? Here, our players whine and complain about wanting more support from the country's biggest city and then say..."meh...we'd be happy to play in Montreal".

but you would find salvadorian players striking and not playing games....:D
at the end of the day this seems to just be a tactic they are using. Theyve used many excuses to try to play in montreal. If its for grass, someone should seriously look into that issue here.

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
How is wanting to play on a superior pitch, a surface that they have played on almost their entire lives, a diss at us?

Hey...I get that they want to play on grass. I want them to play on grass. I want TFC to play on grass.

But they are basically holding US FANS for ransom in their dispute with BMO Field and the CSA. Dale Mitchell has already bent over and given in on the first game, this just means he will keep doing it and simply throw us some crumbs once in a while.

And ain't cool with that.

So if BMO Field never gets grass, we're ok with the CMNT just playing their games in Montreal?

Keyman
06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah fine...but they are also doing it at the expense of a large segment of their support. Let's face it, Montreal is not the most patriotic place in Canada, nor is it where you can tap companies for money.

If you want corporate investment in the Men's team, then you need to include corproate Canada in the formula.

And where is Corporate Canada found? Where is the largest Canadian soccer community found?

And then we wonder why people support their "old" countries over Canada. This makes me angry.

Dude, first of all, Toronto doesn't give a shit about Canadian football at all. They don't owe us anything. The domestic game is treated like an absolute 5th class sport in this city, even TFC isn't given respectful coverage.

And even having said that, this isn't about support. This is about wanting to qualify for the world's largest soccer tournament. I don't give a shit how it's done or where the games are played, all I care about is being able to book my ticket to South Africa knowing I'm going to be watching Canada play. Because really, that's the only thing that is going to make Toronto take notice. Not a world cup qualifier against Honduras.

A Torontonian shouldn't care what city the game is played in, this is the Canadian national team. Not the Torontonian national team. lol

Jeff s
06-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Cant they just place real grass just for a canada game in BMO?

werewolf
06-19-2008, 11:23 PM
I would rather we qualify with every game at Montreal, then have a repeat of the last 5 qualifying tournaments at the national soccer stadium. Perhaps then we will get grass. It has nothing to do with the people that are watching the games, we are all Canadian right? But if they feel the chances are better there, and letting it be known to the public, grass might be explored further here.

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
You guys might be a little young to remember, but I remember when Canada made it to the World Cup in 1986. I was just a little kid, but I remember my dad talking about the games and I remember it was a big deal.

And what happened since then? Soccer has gone off the map.

So yeah...I want Canada to make it to South Africa...but Toronto continues to be the same as before, then for me, it will be for naught. Soccer will continue to be second rate UNTIL it's given the profile it needs here, in Toronto, the country's biggest city. I want it to be bigger than Baseball, Basketball and everything else, save for Hockey, which I wish it could be bigger than, but I am not crazy.

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:27 PM
And what is this nonsense about them having a better chance in Montreal because they have grass? That is absolute nonsense. If anything, they would have the advantage here because at least then, the visiting team would also have to play on this horrible, nightmarish, ankle-breaking, baby-stealing, herpes-giving turf that is scaring all these grown men.

How do we figure that they have a better chance in Montreal than they do here? Somebody explain that to me logically please, because at the moment, I don't see the logic.

Keyman
06-19-2008, 11:37 PM
And what is this nonsense about them having a better chance in Montreal because they have grass? That is absolute nonsense. If anything, they would have the advantage here because at least then, the visiting team would also have to play on this horrible, nightmarish, ankle-breaking, baby-stealing, herpes-giving turf that is scaring all these grown men.

How do we figure that they have a better chance in Montreal than they do here? Somebody explain that to me logically please, because at the moment, I don't see the logic.

You know I talk to players. I've had conversations with multiple players on the men's national team, and they've told me that the turf at BMO leaves them sore for days after. They're used to natural pitches, and their bodies do not adapt. Toronto FC players have had time to adapt, and have a top trainer in Paul Winsper. The Canadian players do not have that luxury. The turf is a constant injury concern for our nats, and honestly, we cannot risk injury with this team. We're not deep enough. They also lack a comfort level that they need, especially at home. If your players cannot feel comfortable on their own field, then you have a problem. I'm going to take the word of Julian De Guzman, Paul Stalteri, and multiple other players, over yours. If they say it gives them a better chance, then I believe them. Because people like Julian, don't have a track record full of lies.

werewolf

If they were robots there would be no difference. But they feel comfortable on that surface, the game is just as mental as it is physical. If the players are going to have that at the back of their minds, we can enjoy a 3-0 shellacking to Honduras. If JDG wants coke to drink, don't get him pepsi, if Ali Gerba wants steak for dinner, he doesn't get chicken. It's all in their head sure, but it does bother them.

Canary Canuck
Montreal has a home game against Atlanta on August 20th so that game against Jamaica is still going to be at BMO. They can't switch it to montreal even if they wanted to.

TFC07
06-19-2008, 11:41 PM
Roogsy, being a hockey guy and some of my buddies would lambast me for saying this, but football has that potential.
Just maybe not in our lifetime.

If you look at Toronto's demographic, Toronto has the potential to be a football (soccer) city instead of hockey/leafs town.

Anyway, I hope City of Toronto get rid of field turf ASAP. BMO field suppose to be home of Canadian National Soccer teams (Men, women, U-20 etc...). The city should be focusing more on our National teams instead of community soccer and other bush league events they host during the winter. National games and international games can bring more revenue to City than community soccer and other local events can.

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:42 PM
You know I talk to players. I've had conversations with multiple players on the men's national team, and they've told me that the turf at BMO leaves them sore for days after. They're used to natural pitches, and their bodies do not adapt. Toronto FC players have had time to adapt, and have a top trainer in Paul Winsper. The Canadian players do not have that luxury. The turf is a constant injury concern for our nats, and honestly, we cannot risk injury with this team. We're not deep enough. They also lack a comfort level that they need, especially at home. If your players cannot feel comfortable on their own field, then you have a problem. I'm going to take the word of Julian De Guzman, Paul Stalteri, and multiple other players, over yours. If they say it gives them a better chance, then I believe them. Because people like Julian, don't have a track record full of lies.

You know what I read here?

"We like playing on grass."

And like I said. I understand that. I want them to play on grass as well. For whatever reasons. They are less sore. The ball plays better. The women look better. etc. etc.

But explain to me please, where the drawbacks of turf do not apply to the visiting team.

Because I read it this way. If our team is comfortable on grass, then so is the visiting team. And if our team is not as comfortable on turf, then I assume the same discomfort is found with the visiting team. Am I wrong? So where is this advantage we are talking about, that's all I want to know!

Because if there is a real advantage to our boys, I will gladly give up my wish to see them play in my town. But I have yet to see it.

And what do you mean you'd take their word over mine? I am not asking you to take my word. I am asking you to prove something to me. If you can't...then just say so.

Roogsy
06-19-2008, 11:54 PM
In fact...I am going to be an asshole about it and take the OTHER side of the argument.

I am going to propose that playing on turf gives US the advantage.

If our boys play regularly on turf, then they will be more familiar with it. They will know how the ball plays. They will know how to prepare themselves for it beforehand. They will play teams accordingly.

And visiting teams will not be familiar with it, nor know how to react, nor know how to prepare, nor know how to recover afterwards. And most importantly, they won't want to play on it.

That's our advantage.

But it's only an advantage if they choose to use it.

Everybody knows how to play on grass. Playing on grass only gives everyone and even playing field. Playing on turf adds and element that we can turn in our favour.

So I take this whole "advantage" argument and call bullshit. It's not a disadvantage at all. It's a preference. One that is their right to demand. But then don't demand from the Toronto public their support, ask it from the Quebecers.

Keyman
06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Obviously the drawbacks of turf are going to apply to the away team, it can be viewed as an advantage of whoever sets foot on the turf at BMO. Who knows how big a role it has played in our undefeated record at home?

The real advantage to playing on a surface that you are comfortable on, is just that, comfort level. I think you're missing the point. When we play in Toronto, the players don't feel comfortable. You don't want your team to be at a disadvantage right off the bat, especially at home. Where is the advantage when you have a double negative in Toronto? Yes, it's going to make the away team feel uncomfortable as well. But it is also opening us up to un-needed risks, when we could simply play on a reliable, comfortable surface in Montreal.

Either way we seem to be level with the away team in comfort level, and I would rather have Canada feeling good, and let our superiorty in skill do the job. Then have our nats not have the ability to play up to their potential, because of a surface that hinders their ability to play the game properly. And have the constant uncertainty hovering in their heads about the impact of the surface on their bodies. If the players do not have confidence playing at their home ground, then you have a problem.

Am I making sense? I'm doing the Young Drivers - Learner's Permit Preparation Test! as I type.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 12:06 AM
But you are missing that it can be an advantage as well.

And the comfort level has nothing to do with the pitch. A players comfort from home comes from playing in front of family and friends, as well as a pro-Canada (hopefully) crowd.

It comes from a sense of being "home". It comes from visiting old places. Becoming inspired and playing at another level.

If you tell me they get all those things from playing in Montreal, and that playing on grass overcomes all these other "home" advantages, then fine. Play the games in Montreal. I will watch them on TV (if they are even shown at all) and root for Canada from afar. But I won't lie, there will be some bitterness on my part.

They are supposed to play "for me". The guy who couldn't make it to their level. The little kid in Toronto that wanted to play pro ball growing up. But if they are ok giving that inspiration through the TV instead of giving the chance for everyone who has dreamed the dream to see it live, (including the kids today) then so be it.

I wonder what complaints they will have afterwards. Maybe they won't like the signs in French?

Keyman
06-20-2008, 12:16 AM
First of all, that's BS that the comfort level has nothing to do with the pitch. If a player doesn't feel comfortable on the surface that they are about to run 5K on, then you have a problem. These players are exerting themselves physically for 90 minutes, and if you can't make a cut or a pass the same way you would 90% of the year, then you are not going to have the same comfort level. The playing surface has a HUGE impact on comfort level, why do you think it is continually brought up?

They are going to play in front of a similar crowd, and the same family members in Montreal. All the off-field factors are the same. I just sense some jealousy, Toronto always gets the best of everything, but when we dont, for legitimate reasons, all we do is bitch. If you are a Canadian soccer supporter, all you should care about is the holy grail. And that isn't watching your team play a world cup qualifier in your backyard. It's watching them play on the world's biggest stage.

Although I do agree that if you play on the turf enough, constantly, it can become an advantage. But you simply do not have that option with the national team. The games are too far spread out, usually falling in between their European season. They don;t have time to adapt over an entire month.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 12:23 AM
You just don't get it.

My whole point is that this attitude does more damage to Canadian soccer than benefit it.

So as a Canadian Soccer Supporter, yeah, it ticks me off. Because everything I have been encouraging and supporting is being undone by a useless governing body and players who can't see past their own needs.

Jealousy? Hardly. I don't begrudge them wanting to play in Montreal. My message is simple though. Wanna make all your games there? Don't wonder why you dont get any support here. Support doesn't just "show up" especially in a town obsessed with the Leafs. Work is involved and choosing to avoid that work, choosing to pass on the opportunity to grow the sport here, then don't whine about it not being there later.

If they are ok with that, then we can all move on.

Keyman
06-20-2008, 12:31 AM
How does it do more damage? I understand that Toronto is an integral market, that is relatively untapped, but there are other cities that can get behind this team. What is going to benefit Canadian soccer the most is successful results on the pitch, and if they feel they have the best chance of acheiving these results in Montreal, then so be it. This attitude that they have, is one that has them wanting to win, I don't see how it is doing any damage to Canadian soccer at all.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one Chris, because I just don't see where you're coming from.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 12:35 AM
I would remind everyone that there are National Soccer teams in other countries that deal with the same types of issues.

For example, some Andean countries play in high altitudes to give themselves an advantage. Except...on many teams, most players don't come from those high altitudes. But they choose to adapt themselves and make it an advantage.

The Ecuadorian National Soccer team has players from various parts of the country, many of them, from the Coast, far from the Mountains. They are not "altitude" players, but they recognize the advantage and don't complain about it. They don't insist on playing in the Costal cities, and instead accept that they will be playing International games in the Capital City, high up in the mountains.

Can someone explain to me why Ecuadorian players sacrifice themselves and their comfort to give themselves and advantage and our players complain that it's a disadvantage?

Mexico does the same.

Canada?

This is the same country that brought in a Steel Drum band to make the Trinidadian team feel comfortable. I guess I shouldn't expect any less.

I am done with this subject. I am going to go work out or something to work off some of this frustration.

CretanBull
06-20-2008, 01:59 AM
I think that a team that wants to play an opposing team in the best possible conditions (ie on the best pitch) is a confident team. If they play on the field turf because it's viewed as bad it's a subconscious admission that your team needs an advantage to beat the other team. Our Nats are saying "Montreal has the best pitch in Canada, we're most comfortable here and we'll take on anyone in the world here."

The altitude advantage gained by some South American teams isn't much of a sacrifice...they practice at that elevation and their adjust. Playing on field turf is (according to players) hard on your feet, ankles, knees and back. Over time, with conditioning (think of all our injuries last year when we didn't have the proper conditioning) you can adjust but our National team will never play there regularly enough to adjust to it. It becomes more of a liablity to us...whereas visiting teams have to come in and take the punishment for one game, our guys have to go into each game knowing that their bodies are going to take a beating.

Cambridge_Red
06-20-2008, 04:08 AM
I don't blame the players. It's really a no brainer, why risk injury. BMO really needs a grass surface, but I doubt they will tear it up only 2 years into having it.

Fort York Redcoat
06-20-2008, 05:53 AM
This is ok with me. You got players united and calling out the CSA, we could have a real national stadium that is in the east. frankly, I'll be at every qualifier if they go through with the move. But I don't think CSA will take a game away from Edmonton. geographic distribution of the team. what else is new.

redcard
06-20-2008, 05:59 AM
When the best players in the country don't want to play in your national soccer stadium, you have a serious problem. What an embarrassment for the city and MLSE, what's it going to take to change?

the city loves the turf, money all year round...its the CSA that should be embarassed they should have pushed for grass when the deals were being made...

and knowing the CSA they wont listen to the CMNT and we will have matches @ BMO, simply because the Jamaican fans want to see their team play against Canada.

ExiledRed
06-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Why is this moved?

Stick it on the main page for crying out loud.

ExiledRed
06-20-2008, 07:56 AM
Roogsy you're missing the point, which is, the fieldturf is crap and nobody wants to play on it, advantage or not.

The CMNT arent contractually bound to keep their mouths shut about fieldturf, and thank god for that.

Besides, I'd rather a team won because of their skill and football prowess, not because of a manufactured advantage from an unnatural surface.

Oldtimer
06-20-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm with the players on this, and Mitchell deserves props for standing by his players.
He's not a "twat." Good for him for standing up to the incompetent CSA.

BTW, "SACK THE CSA!!!"

Oldtimer
06-20-2008, 08:11 AM
the city loves the turf, money all year round...

The city is incompetent as well. As the Star reported, BMO Field actually loses money in winter given the high costs of snow clearing, etc. If Miller and his colleagues were turfed out, we might see some fiscal sense come to the city, and grass put in so that we'd have a proper professional stadium.

denime
06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Why is this moved?

Stick it on the main page for crying out loud.
DONE!

Jamaicanadian
06-20-2008, 08:24 AM
What the fack did the City of T.O. do for facking revenue before they built facking BMO field??? Didn't this same city of Toronto put down a field turf field in the city that no one can use??...Read about it here---> http://parentcentral.ca/parent/article/410906

Didn't they just revamp Lamport for fack sakes???
Put the freakin bubble on Lamport in the winter, rent tha fack outta it and put grass in at BMO!!!! What am I missing here????

One last thing; it's gotta be pretty bad when players start speaking out about NOT playing in their HOME TOWN. Who wouldn't want to play in your home town....think about it...

MisterMacphisto
06-20-2008, 08:29 AM

Wondering the same thing.

I fully, 100% support the CMNT. Those that are hoping Canada lose because they want to play on grass? Fuck you and get over yourself.

Finally, some real pressure on the CSA and a groundswell of support for real change for soccer in Canada, and some douche-bags chalk it up as players being whiny? :rolleyes:

denime
06-20-2008, 08:29 AM
This whole renting and buble shit has to stop.If TFC qualifies fro next round of Champions league/Super liga etc.They will be playing their game in late February/March next year.I wopuld like to see how the fuck City of TO will keep the buble until Mid of April like they did this year.With all those extra games in November and early spring,buble doesn't have a future at BMO.Move that shit to Lamport inlcuding the turf too.

MisterMacphisto
06-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Besides, I'd rather a team won because of their skill and football prowess, not because of a manufactured advantage from an unnatural surface.

QFT :hump:

olegunnar
06-20-2008, 08:45 AM
One last thing; it's gotta be pretty bad when players start speaking out about NOT playing in their HOME TOWN. Who wouldn't want to play in your home town....think about it...

QFT!

nascarguy
06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
yeah we need to step up and say that we what real grass & that banner that I made could be just a start

pat416
06-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I am happy the players took this stand but upset i won't be able to see any Home games. O well though if this helps us getting real grass im all for it. Also i do agree with a previous statement that this is the CMNT not the Toronto Nats, so if they want to play in Montreal, so be it.

Jack
06-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Seriously. Being pissed at them for taking a stand because you won't get to see them play is totally selfish.

We want our team to do well and go to 2010!

If that means playing in Montreal, so be it!

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Far from selfish. If I thought that playing all games in Montreal was good for soccer in Canada, I wouldn't care.

But I think it hurts it. And I think it's shortsighted.

What if the team plays all its games in Montreal and still doesn't make it?

All of this will be for naught...except in the process you have overlooked Toronto in the process and the next time they play in Toronto and draw only 9k...I hope to see no complaints.

But I won't hold my breath.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Personally I think they should. I am ok with them playing in Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg...shoot....play Mexico in Yellowknife!

The team needs the WHOLE country behind them to succeed. For that to happen, they need to be front and centre. But if it were up to the team, according to the article, they would play all their games in Montreal. A very poor idea in my mind and exactly the wrong attitude to have, especially since they have also been vocal about not receiving support from the fans.

I couldn't care less if BMO is the actual home of the team. To me, it's home to TFC anyways.

But I should keep in mind that these are soccer players and not businessmen or marketing graduates. Maybe they just don't understand some of these things. My biggest surprise is how shortsighted comments on this board have been.

olegunnar
06-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Personally I think they should. I am ok with them playing in Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg...shoot....play Mexico in Yellowknife!

The team needs the WHOLE country behind them to succeed. For that to happen, they need to be front and centre. But if it were up to the team, according to the article, they would play all their games in Montreal. A very poor idea in my mind and exactly the wrong attitude to have, especially since they have also been vocal about not receiving support from the fans.

I couldn't care less if BMO is the actual home of the team. To me, it's home to TFC anyways.

But I should keep in mind that these are soccer players and not businessmen or marketing graduates. Maybe they just don't understand some of these things. My biggest surprise is how shortsighted comments on this board have been.

Just to play devils advocate for a second...what would be a better way to have the whole country behind the team?

Having a game at BMO in August with a 70-30 pro Jamaican crowd, possibly a loss for the National Team?

Or having the team qualify for South Africa 2010.

I know they're not mutually exclusive options, but the goal is 2010...if the players are more comfortable and feel they have a better chance at qualifying for 2010 by playing in Montreal then that should be what we should do.

The point being, wrt growing the game, qualifying for 2010 would do 1000 times more for the game than having a WCQ at BMO.

Jack
06-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Just to play devils advocate for a second...what would be a better way to have the whole country behind the team?

Having a game at BMO in August with a 70-30 pro Jamaican crowd, possibly a loss for the National Team?

Or having the team qualify for South Africa 2010.

I know they're not mutually exclusive options, but the goal is 2010...if the players are more comfortable and feel they have a better chance at qualifying for 2010 by playing in Montreal then that should be what we should do.

The point being, wrt growing the game, qualifying for 2010 would do 1000 times more for the game than having a WCQ at BMO.
If we let this happen we fail as supporters.

olegunnar
06-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Not to take this thread off topic but I'm still scarred from the Costa Rica game.
Years and years of no games here...then we get one...against a decent team...a competitor for the 3rd Concacaf place...and we get 7000 people showing up. The complain about prices...but the costa ricans seemed to have no problem buying east stand tickets and the tickets that were never sold in the 200s were very cheap too. There were more people at the Canada vs Macedonia game I went to at Varsity.

Until we have a real crowd (a paying one rather than a free ticket crowd see U-20 vs Argies last year) I don't trust Toronto to be a home for our MNT.

Jamaicanadian
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
When I wear my Canadian hat; I wouldn't allow games vs Jamaica to be played in T.O. or Montreal during WCQ. When I wear my Jamaican hat, I'm ecstatic about this cause the players can get great support as well as most of the food they are used to.

I agree that the CSA should be strategic about where games are played during WCQ and ideally the squad should play across Canada...on grass.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Then you missed what I stated above.

Qualifying for WC2010 is not guaranteed if they play in Montreal. So if this great wonderful marketing blessing from the gods does not befall us, where does it leave soccer in Canada? Well back from where it could've been.

If they can qualify, they can qualify while marketing the team to the entire country. If they are not going to qualify, then the worst thing they can do is fail in that goal AND have remained low profile.

The problem in logic here is that you guys are buying that Montreal actually gives our team an advantage. It doesn't. End of.

But like some have stated above, it would seem I am in the minority here and most would rather they DON'T take advantage of the Field Turf, and play on a "legitimate" pitch, regardless of the result. That doesn't sound like what's coming out of the other side of their mouths which is "I want Canada to win whatever it takes". It's a mixed message. Which is it? Get to South Africa by any means necessary? Or any way possible....so long as it's not on turf. Do you guys not see how silly that sounds?

I realize that the CMNT now have TWO premium pitches (or only one, if you want to consider BMO as crap as you guys are making it out to be) to play on. But it was only 2 years ago, that they had none. Maybe I am not one to look a gifthorse in the mouth, but I guess now the team feels they CAN be picky and may have forgotten where they were not too long ago.

I myself have long suffered as a fan of the beautiful game to refuse to forget where this game stands in this country and where we have been. And for that reason, I will not accept the hubris it takes for people to accept bypassing the largest market in the country because your legs might be slightly more sore the next day.

I thought these were professional athletes. But then again, I grew up watching my heroes tell stories of how they played on dirt pitches and stadiums falling apart. A different time I suppose.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 10:18 AM

That will continue to happen if the attitude in this thread prevails.

If you don't personalize the team. Make it feel like your own...EVEN IF the team makes it to South Africa, I am predicting you will STILL see England and Portugal and France and Argentina and Brazilians and Italian flags flying in this city.

And what will the team have done to undo those sentiments? Well...they made it to South Africa... but they did it ignoring this market and the people in it.

And you know what? I will be rooting for Canada...but I won't be angry that the guy next to me is flying the Brazil flag. It's not his fault he's being ignored. He didn't choose to put turf at BMO and he shouldn't pay for it nor be expected to support a team he doesn't know.

With everything soccer has to fight against in this country and this city, you would think doing everything possible to make the game better supported in this country would be the way to go. Apparently I was wrong.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Not to take this thread off topic but I'm still scarred from the Costa Rica game.
Years and years of no games here...then we get one...against a decent team...a competitor for the 3rd Concacaf place...and we get 7000 people showing up. The complain about prices...but the costa ricans seemed to have no problem buying east stand tickets and the tickets that were never sold in the 200s were very cheap too. There were more people at the Canada vs Macedonia game I went to at Varsity.

Until we have a real crowd (a paying one rather than a free ticket crowd see U-20 vs Argies last year) I don't trust Toronto to be a home for our MNT.

And how are you ever going to change that in Toronto? By keeping the team away from it?

olegunnar
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I myself have long suffered as a fan of the beautiful game to refuse to forget where this game stands in this country and where we have been. And for that reason, I will not accept the hubris it takes for people to accept bypassing the largest market in the country because your legs might be slightly more sore the next day.

I thought these were professional athletes. But then again, I grew up watching my heroes tell stories of how they played on dirt pitches and stadiums falling apart. A different time I suppose.

With all due respect I don't think this is the time to start measuring dicks.

This is arguably the best team we've ever had and 2010 is a real possibility. I'm of the opinion we should do whatever it takes to help make that a reality. If the players feel more comfortable in pink shirts...let them wear pink shirts, if the players think American Airlines is roomier and uis a more comfortable flight, then let them take American Airlines rather than Air Canada. I think you get my drift.

It's not the time to be macho and say you have to play on turf or your a wimp and a not a real player. It's the time to support the team and support whatever initiatives will help them win. If they feel they have a better chance of winning in Montreal then I'm all for it.

After all 2010 is the goal...not having games in Toronto.

I say this all the while wishing we could have games in Toronto, but I still believe 2010 is the goal...whatever it takes.

olegunnar
06-20-2008, 10:30 AM
And how are you ever going to change that in Toronto? By keeping the team away from it?

By winning. By making the World Cup. By making it cool to support Canada.
We all joke in the international forum about bandwagon types...no one is a bandwagon type for a loser.

The final qualification game for the world cup is in 2009...we'd have a year of build up and good press if we made it.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 10:30 AM
I say this all the while wishing we could have games in Toronto, but I still believe 2010 is the goal...whatever it takes.

And whatever it takes means the turf at BMO goes against that goal? that somehow it hinders the road to South Africa?

I still don't believe it.

olegunnar
06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
And whatever it takes means the turf at BMO goes against that goal? that somehow it hinders the road to South Africa?

I still don't believe it.

It's about comfort.
TFC didn't put in the players lounge and the nice changing facilities at BMO because they had some spare money they wanted to spend.
The University of Iowa got in trouble in 2005 because they painted the visitor change room in their stadium all pink.
These kind of things are done so that the players are comfortable (for wins) or uncomfortable (for losses).
I think the turf is fine for TFC because the players while they may dislike it, are comfortable with it now...and it's an advantage.
When you fly in people that aren't used to it (ie the national team) they aren't comfortable and chances are that might affect their play. Not saying it would...but the fact it may...is enough to take serious consideration into avoiding the turf.

TO DEVILS
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM

I thought RPB were a TFC supporter group, and i am sure many members are from many nationalities.

So i would say failure is not the correct word, this is just a result of the society you live in.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 10:43 AM
It's about comfort.
TFC didn't put in the players lounge and the nice changing facilities at BMO because they had some spare money they wanted to spend.
The University of Iowa got in trouble in 2005 because they painted the visitor change room in their stadium all pink.
These kind of things are done so that the players are comfortable (for wins) or uncomfortable (for losses).
I think the turf is fine for TFC because the players while they may dislike it, are comfortable with it now...and it's an advantage.
When you fly in people that aren't used to it (ie the national team) they aren't comfortable and chances are that might affect their play. Not saying it would...but the fact it may...is enough to take serious consideration into avoiding the turf.

I've said my piece about this, including about the whole comfort thing.

Everything you said right here I have already answered, and in fact feel that it can be turned around into an advantage for us, only improving our chances to make to South Africa.

And the damage by ignoring Toronto means you allow Toronto soccer fans to continue in their path of supporting the old country anyways, even if Canada makes it to SA. Ensuring that you will never have that "advantage" of the big pro-home crowd in Toronto ever. A big price to pay one that I am sad to see being paid and supported.

I am done with this thread. But I would like to thank you guys for letting me have an opinion even if it's different than the majority here. I think we can all agree we want the same things for the CMNT. I think I am just looking at the bigger picture that's all.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 10:46 AM
It's about comfort.

the player bitched last time cause they didn't get good plane seats..this time the field turf at BMO, whats next they cry about the officals. Games need to be played at BMO, not womens team but the full national side, if players keep bitching leave them off the national side...for good!!

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 10:47 AM
^Mighty...it's time to take your pills dude. ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Winning cures all.

don't think so i will hold this against the Canadian team players for a long time....even if they play jamaica in BMO i will just stay home now and boycott anything the CSA does in TO!! lets hope more follow my lead,.

Jack
06-20-2008, 10:49 AM
don't think so i will hold this against the Canadian team players for a long time....even if they play jamaica in BMO i will just stay home now and boycott anything the CSA does in TO!! lets hope more follow my lead,.

Douchebaggery.

Heathen
06-20-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm kinda torn on this one, I want the team to do well and obviously you need happy players to do that but I'm also a little peeved at the bleating ove rthe turf. Yes we know grass would be better we've gone over why we have it and why it isn't going to get replaced anytime soon a million times. FFS no ones saying the have to play on it every day just a couple of games a year that's all we're asking for. The statistics prove you're no more likely to get injured on field turf than grass yeah it might be harder on the body but shit some of those crappy rutted bonehard grass pitches they played on previously were a hell of a lot more dangerous than BMO.

Jack
06-20-2008, 10:51 AM
I thought RPB were a TFC supporter group, and i am sure many members are from many nationalities.

So i would say failure is not the correct word, this is just a result of the society you live in.

Sorry, I should clarify. As supporters of the CMNT, not as supporters of TFC.

Roogsy
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
This is the same team that played in the freezing snow in Estonia.

But won't play on turf. Please excuse my confusion.

Sorry...I said I was done. I am now.

Aaaaaaaand NOW!

Now.

Now.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 10:57 AM
This is the same team that played in the freezing snow in Estonia.

But won't play on turf. Please excuse my confusion.

Sorry...I said I was done. I am now.

Aaaaaaaand NOW!

Now.

Now.

Cunfusion is what the players on Canada live for...the make excuse where they play, how they play, when the play, blackmail the csa to get their way...they are a team of excuses...just NOT winners,

ilikemusic
06-20-2008, 11:06 AM
What surface will the World Cup be played on?

What surface will every one of their away games be played on?

What surface does 95% of this team train on all year long?

What surface is football at the most elite level played on?

gtaguy
06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
the more the mens national team cries foul the more attention this field turf gets in the media ... They are doing us a favor bitchin about this... keep it up guys, becuase of you we just might get some real grass ...

And as for this bullshite of grass being more expensive to maintain and so on then Why did Montreal put grass in thier field....
Fuck the mlse and the city of toronto morons who thought this was a fabulous idea ...

Heathen
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
the more the mens national team cries foul the more attention this field turf gets in the media ... They are doing us a favor bitchin about this... keep it up guys, becuase of you we just might get some real grass ...

And as for this bullshite of grass being more expensive to maintain and so on then Why did Montreal put grass in thier field....
Fuck the mlse and the city of toronto morons who thought this was a fabulous idea ...

its not about being more expensive to maintain, its about having a surface that can be used year round.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
What surface will the World Cup be played on?

What surface will every one of their away games be played on?

What surface does 95% of this team train on all year long?

What surface is football at the most elite level played on?

surface...for world cup...both grass and field turf for the first time on world cup history...plastic grass at a couple of venues,

awawy games depends who they play...autrai and sswitzerland have plastic pitches now,

MisterMacphisto
06-20-2008, 11:33 AM
even if they play jamaica in BMO i will just stay home now

:rolleyes:

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 11:40 AM
:rolleyes:

should have said anyone...nothing against jamaica...they have tyronne marshall...could go and cheer them on i suppose!!

ilikemusic
06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
awawy games depends who they play...autrai and sswitzerland have plastic pitches now,

When are their qualifying away legs in Austria and Switzerland?

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
When are their qualifying away legs in Austria and Switzerland?

i was refering to play them in friendlies, the team would then have to play on plastic...what they going to do say NO? they are the one that bitch they don;t play together enough.

ilikemusic
06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
i was refering to play them in friendlies, the team would then have to play on plastic...what they going to do say NO? they are the one that bitch they don;t play together enough.

So are we training for WCQ or for potential friendlies in Austria and Switzerland?

TO DEVILS
06-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Sorry, I should clarify. As supporters of the CMNT, not as supporters of TFC.

Gotcha yah.

I agree with that statement.:canada:

Cambridge_Red
06-20-2008, 01:30 PM
should have said anyone...nothing against jamaica...they have tyronne marshall...could go and cheer them on i suppose!!

We gotta stop polluting the Grand River all of our garbage is effecting Brantford apparently..

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
So are we training for WCQ or for potential friendlies in Austria and Switzerland?

the rumours they will head to europe to play in the winter for extra games,
and can't really see the big nations playing us, so we have to play
team that we might stand a chance against..Estonia is too good for us .

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 02:42 PM
We gotta stop polluting the Grand River all of our garbage is effecting Brantford apparently..

we just send it down to six nations..:p

invictusTFC
06-20-2008, 02:49 PM
the problem is the players are running the nut house once agin, they should play where they are told. you think grass is coming to BMO?
cant see that, with the public using it in the winter. our players have got to get their act together. If Fifa ok's the field turf then it fine. Dale mitchell is a twit, the quicker he gets canned the better..

Relax guy, the players are simply stating their opinion. They are the sports elite in this country, their opinions should matter. What has the CSA done right in all its existence. Its decisions such as these that have forced players like Hargreaves and DeGuzman to represent other national teams.

Trust me, even though they might not admit to it publicly I'm sure that most TFC players would rather play on grass too. So, fuck the CSA, and fuck the ignorants at City Hall. This sport despite its overwhelming popularity will always be considered second rate as long as idiots like these are making the decisions.

Billy the kid
06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
On the plus side, we have the nicest ultimate frisbee pitch in the world.

ilikemusic
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
the rumours they will head to europe to play in the winter for extra games,
and can't really see the big nations playing us, so we have to play
team that we might stand a chance against..Estonia is too good for us .

:eek:

What are our boys wasting their time in Montreal for then? Obviously they better get back here to Toronto so we can be ready to win these friendlies and move up in the FIFA Rankings! Its not like anybody every got to the World Cup through qualifying matches. :rolleyes:

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Relax guy, the players are simply stating their opinion. They are the sports elite in this country, their opinions should matter. What has the CSA done right in all its existence. Its decisions such as these that have forced players like Hargreaves and DeGuzman to represent other national teams.

Trust me, even though they might not admit to it publicly I'm sure that most TFC players would rather play on grass too. So, fuck the CSA, and fuck the ignorants at City Hall. This sport despite its overwhelming popularity will always be considered second rate as long as idiots like these are making the decisions.

relax the canadian team doesn't want to play in front of the fans in toronto,not the first time this has been stated by the canadian players,
Hargraves and de guzman mad e their own choices the CSA did not
push them away they just use that as an excuse. im all for expression,but they must realzie they are pissing off the fans the might have bought tickets to see them play.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 04:44 PM
:eek:

What are our boys wasting their time in Montreal for then? Obviously they better get back here to Toronto so we can be ready to win these friendlies and move up in the FIFA Rankings! Its not like anybody every got to the World Cup through qualifying matches. :rolleyes:

thats what i keep wondering..st vincent is a gimme, but they won't get past mexico,jamaica and honduras, we will be holding up[ the table yet again

denime
06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Cunfusion is what the players on Canada live for...the make excuse where they play, how they play, when the play, blackmail the csa to get their way...they are a team of excuses...just NOT winners,

http://i32.tinypic.com/2960vh2.jpg

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
http://i32.tinypic.com/2960vh2.jpg

we will see whos right at the end of the day....it will be me!! nice poster though

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Canada looks like a snd amatuer team out there tonigh...Mexico, Jamacia, and honduras need not worry about us...bring on 2014 WCQ.

Oldtimer
06-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Canada looks like a snd amatuer team out there tonigh...Mexico, Jamacia, and honduras need not worry about us...bring on 2014 WCQ.

Why are you so negative? If you're a troll, please go away. If not, lighten up!!!!!!!!

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Why are you so negative? If you're a troll, please go away. If not, lighten up!!!!!!!!

it doesn't bother you that the Canadian players don't want to be in Toronto? well it should!! maybe thats soccer major problem here
people don't care.. the type of pitch should not matter to real footballers,
just go out and play the damn game. we went through this the last time
with the players wanting special seats on planes etc. Canadian soccer has been a negative for the past 4 years, national team wise, and it looks like in won;t get better. Look at the next wcq group,,,
Mexico....2 defeats there...Jamaica...a split 1 win 1 loss so your looking at needing a sweep over Honduras just to have a chance at second.
the home game for us should be a win..the away tie....??

greatwhitenorf
06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Ahh, Tractor Boy. Strong like bull, smart like streetcar.

Jack
06-20-2008, 10:34 PM
but they must realzie they are pissing off the fan the might have bought tickets to see them play.

Fixed. You're the only one who's pissed at the players about this.

Alex
06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
mighty_torontofc_2008:

Honduras TIED Puerto Rico, Mexico beat Belize 2-0 with a 90 minute penalty! Gimme a break. If you noticed, after going up 4-0 we slowed down the pace. I mean Brennan who plays defense/mid for Canada was in alone, how many times have you ever seen that happen? St VAG isnt very good, refer to Gerba's first goal, I could have scored with all that space.

andyc
06-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Let's see what this field looks like in 12 months time...

A winter plus lots of games will make this field look like a toronto city field. I can't see Montreal investing in keeping it in this type of shape.

BTW I really hate turf and I do believe if we get grass at BMO, MLSE will look after it and the CMNT will love us again!

BTW 2 Gerba > Cunny by a mile... Sign him up!

Alex
06-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Check out this article:

De Rosario, Gerba score twice each as Canada beats St. Vincent 4-1

By Bill Beacon, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - The 11,502 who turned out on a damp, cool night to Saputo Stadium were not disappointed in what they saw from Canada's national soccer team.
Dwayne De Rosario and Ali Gerba each scored two goals as Canada posted a clear 4-1 victory over St. Vincent and the Grenadines in a World Cup qualifying match Friday night.

Canada won the two-game series 7-1 on aggregate and advanced to the group stage of qualifying in the CONCACAF zone - a tough round robin tournament that begins in August against Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica.

"Most importantly, we got the result," said De Rosario. "It's nice to play well and score, but we got the result.

"The fans were really into the game, which is very important, and hopefully we'll continue this run."

Marlon James delighted the enthusiastic group of St. Vincent supporters in the stands with a late goal for the visitors, who pressed their attack from the start in a bid for goals after dropping a 3-0 decision in the opening leg at home last Sunday.

The talk all week has been how Canada's players want to make Saputo Stadium their home because it is in the East, which makes travel easier from their European clubs, and because it has a grass field. But the Canadian Soccer Association has commitments for games at BMO Field in Toronto, which has a synthetic surface.

The first game of the next round is currently scheduled for Aug. 20 against Jamaica at BMO Field.

"I think the main thing is finding a home ground where we can play," added De Rosario, a Scarborough, Ont., native. "In Montreal, it's beautiful stadium.

"I think Saputo has done a great job of putting together a great atmosphere. And if we continue to get results, why should we move anywhere else?"

Canada will have its work cut out for it in the next round, with no easy opponents. It has not qualified for the World Cup since its one and only appearance at the 1986 event in Mexico.

Read more (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080620/sports/soc_wcup_svg_cda)

andyc
06-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Got to say that I never had much respect for Radzinski. After this quote he can fuck off and miss goals for his club team. He's always been a selfish fuck....

"Hopefully we'll be back here in August and play another great game."

nfitz
06-21-2008, 01:43 AM
The first game of the next round is currently scheduled for Aug. 20 against Jamaica at BMO Field. Cool! Hopefully we can at least outnumber the Jamaican fans.

Jeff s
06-21-2008, 01:52 AM
when the played at BMO vs Costa rica, what was the problem?

Canada kicked there ass, only allowed 3 shots if I remember correctly. I personally don't see the big deal playing at BMO. THey showed that they can perform there.

I really hope we get first option tix for the game against Jamaica.

denime
06-21-2008, 05:57 AM

Canada kicked there ass, only allowed 3 shots if I remember correctly. I personally don't see the big deal playing at BMO. THey showed that they can perform there.

We can only hope.It is CSA and to schedule Jamaica in Toronto instead of Honduras tells you already what kind of morons are leading Canada's soccer.
I don't mind if CMNT plays all games in Montreal if players like it and they think they can perform better why not.
There is always third round of WCQ where we can play USA at BMO or whoeverer makes 3rd round.
It was good to see CMNT game on TV even if it was against not so strong team.

denime
06-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Got to say that I never had much respect for Radzinski. After this quote he can fuck off and miss goals for his club team. He's always been a selfish fuck....

What's wrong with this statement?
They(CMNT players) all want to play there it's not just him.Read article on first page and see what is this all about.:noidea:

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-21-2008, 06:28 AM

Rad:mad:z is a punk nothing more he can just f**k off the lazy bastard!!

ExiledRed
06-21-2008, 09:13 AM
^^introspection will reveal the irony behind you calling Radz a punk.

The National team players are doing TFC and it's players a MASSIVE favour right now.

By snubbing BMO's pitch they are highlighting an issue that TFC players are contractually forbidden to address publicly. I know for a fact that many of our players do not like our pitch, and historically those who have spoken negatively about it are traded quite quickly.

It's obvious that Saputo is an inferior facility to BMO, but for the most important factor, the pitch itself.

mednus
06-21-2008, 09:48 AM
What is going on here!!!
The CMT players are stating they want to play on grass.
Most people on this board want BMO to have grass.
What is the problem?
Those bitching about the players wanting to play on grass can F**k off!!!
and cheer for some other countrys team.

Pigfynn
06-21-2008, 09:50 AM
This attention should be welcomed by us as a step in the right direction.

Can you imagine if we qualify for the WC and the great attention that will be brought to the sport? Now imagine that our National Soccer stadium has a grass surface and is full when Canada plays....better, right?

I've said this soooo many times...In order to be taken seriously in world soccer we first need to give the impression we take the game seriously ie.real grass fields, full stadia, team promotion etc.

Here's hoping the message has been received.

RedRum
06-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Some good points have been made in this thread.

The players say they want to play in Montreal? Why dont we STFU and listen to them for once.

Playing Jamaica at BMO is a dumb idea. The CSA needs to work with TFC and supporters' groups to ensure this doesn't turn into a home game for Jamaica. This of course will never happen.

Roogsy
06-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Some good points have been made in this thread.

The players say they want to play in Montreal? Why dont we STFU and listen to them for once.

Playing Jamaica at BMO is a dumb idea. The CSA needs to work with TFC and supporters' groups to ensure this doesn't turn into a home game for Jamaica. This of course will never happen.

Why should we STFU? The players speak so people can't have an opinion? And who isn't listening to the players? It's not us, the fans. Maybe you should be talking to the CSA.

Tell you what, anytime you want to say something on this board, find out if a player somewhere has already spoken in the media about it and then decide if you still want to STFU.

As for Jamaica @ BMO...horrible idea. Since Saputo can't host it because of the Impact schedule, it should have been held in Edmonton or Vancouver. Preferably Edmonton.

Toronto is the LAST place this should be held. But the CSA has never been smart enough to cover their tracks and at least make it seem like they are not going for a cash grab. That's all this is.

SilverSamurai
06-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Why should we STFU? The players speak so people can't have an opinion? And who isn't listening to the players? It's not us, the fans. Maybe you should be talking to the CSA.

Tell you what, anytime you want to say something on this board, find out if a player somewhere has already spoken in the media about it and then decide if you still want to STFU.

As for Jamaica @ BMO...horrible idea. Since Saputo can't host it because of the Impact schedule, it should have been held in Edmonton or Vancouver. Preferably Edmonton.

Toronto is the LAST place this should be held. But the CSA has never been smart enough to cover their tracks and at least make it seem like they are not going for a cash grab. That's all this is.
Double header in Montreal only way I can think of it happening.
Or perhaps a double header @ BMO on Sept 6th.
Either way having a game on the 6th doesn't help since TFC plays on the 6th as well.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 11:02 AM

we not allowed an opinion as were not for the masses...we all now the CSA is F**ked, but the players are no better by trying to run the ship,
Edmonton is the last pace the national team should be 10,000 or less in a 60,000 seater looks bad. but the Jamacia game in Vancouver, Honduras and Mexico in Toronto.

SilverSamurai
06-22-2008, 11:16 AM
we not allowed an opinion as were not for the masses...we all now the CSA is F**ked, but the players are no better by trying to run the ship,
Edmonton is the last pace the national team should be 10,000 or less in a 60,000 seater looks bad. but the Jamacia game in Vancouver, Honduras and Mexico in Toronto.
Mexico in Toronto is a BAAAD idea, unless it's in Nov during the Nov. FIFA date.

Roogsy
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
That's why the St. Vincent game SHOULD have been in Toronto. It should have been:

St Vincent: Toronto
Jamaica: Edmonton
Mexico: Montreal

Instead, the CSA showed that they have their heads stuck up so far up their asses that they don't realize they might be taking homefield advantage away from the team by playing Jamaica in Toronto, grass field or not. Or maybe they didn't care? Imbeciles.

Razcle
06-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Razcle loves grass as well..... Especially in the rain!

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~edean/images/Grass.jpg

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 12:04 PM
That's why the St. Vincent game SHOULD have been in Toronto. It should have been:

St Vincent: Toronto
Jamaica: Edmonton
Mexico: Montreal

Instead, the CSA showed that they have their heads stuck up so far up their asses that they don't realize they might be taking homefield advantage away from the team by playing Jamaica in Toronto, grass field or not. Or maybe they didn't care? Imbeciles.

have the home dates been fianlized or could they still change it?

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-22-2008, 12:46 PM

i think what bothered the players more then the turf was only 9,000 fans turned out to watch them..i think they still hold an anti toronto grudge!!

ilikemusic
06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
i think what bothered the players more then the turf was only 9,000 fans turned out to watch them..i think they still hold an anti toronto grudge!!

Considering Stalteri had made his displeasure with the turf known well before that match took place I think youre grasping at straws to try and knock the players (real classy btw).

They dont like the pitch. I dont know where anybody is getting this 'they dont like Toronto' shit from.

ag futbol
06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't understand why a guy who thinks the Canadian National Team is crap is even commenting on where they are playing. Totally irrelevant.

We need to get organized for this game against Jamica. They will bring a shit load of fans. Interesting coachign matchup the guy we should have hired (Simoes) against a complete idiot (Mitchell) who probably has the better team on paper.

Tickets on sale for this one.

Toronto Ruffrider
06-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Dude, you really should do your homework before you completely write off the Canadian national team. Perhaps you should watch a game or two before you cast judgment.

denime
06-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Well to be honest I can understand CMNT players 100%.I played several times at BMO and turf is not a friend for players joints.We played yesterday regular game 90 min.and who did not played competitive game at BMO Filed doesn't know how hard it is.Yeah, for a friendly game with your budies is ok,to make a living and play on that shit every day is a nightmare.I would be the first to say no thanks,rather play in Yellowknife on a (frozen) grass than BMO,and I wasn't only one complaining during the game,turf does not give and all presure goes to players bones and joints,not fun at all.
Now it time to put some ice on my knees it still hurts :cryin:

ilikemusic
06-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Well to be honest I can understand CMNT players 100%.I played several times at BMO and turf is not a friend for players joints.

Traitor!

Obviously you just have a grudge against the city of Toronto and are looking for excuses to bash it. :rolleyes:

greatwhitenorf
06-23-2008, 09:29 AM
The CSA is probably looking at a stronger likelihood of a full house if Jamaica plays Canada in Toronto. The've probably got tribal rythm nation organizing a mas band parade in the parking lot with Red Stripe taking over the beer garden.

They'll probably rebuild the south end into a life-size replica of Dunn's River Falls so the supporters can all feel appropriately touristy.

We should be taking Jamaica to another island. Don't care if it's Vancouver Island, Ellesmere Island or Newfoundland. Or play it in Nunavut, Yellowknife or Thompson, Man. Test their ability to organize and travel well. It paid off against Honduras in 1986.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Dude, you really should do your homework before you completely write off the Canadian national team. Perhaps you should watch a game or two before you cast judgment.

Canadas recent History with mexico is not Good, we have not performed well against the mexicans home or away, the last game i remeber canada
getting home point off mexico was back in wcq at exhibition stadium for the 1978 world cup a 1-1 draw...and away a 1-1 draw in mexico where
gerry gray scored a faboulous free kick in Mexico for the draw,
I have watched canada play, estonia, brazil and st vincent...two losses
and a win the last one was a gimme. Honduras is alway going to be tricky away, in Canada we should get the points, by i thought that way against guatemala the last wcq and looked what happened, they played us of our own park. Jamaica looked good this past week in wcq, although
like Canada played a nobody...but they filled the back of the net 13-0
over the two legs?

denime
06-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Dear City of Toronto and MLSE,please install a modular system such as the one developed by Greentch ITM,it is being used in , Olympic Stadium - Athens,Wimbledon tennis,Millenium Stadium - Cardiff etc.
If it works for Olympics, and a Grand Slam tennis tournament,Greek and Welsh national teams ,surely it can work for TFC/CSA/comunity abuse too.

- Real grass that can be removed/installed easily w/o needing much time to lay the turf and allow it to set into the soil
- Can be removed in winter months to allow for year-round use of BMO field, bubble can still be used and for events such as concerts, etc.
- Can be grown off-site and installed for events when needed
- Modular design allows for easy replacement of high use/dead areas

Solves the problem of having real grass and having the stadium available during winter months under the bubble and for other events.

http://www.greentechitm.com/pdf/AthleticMU.pdf

http://www.greentechitm.com/systems/multiuse.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GreenTech_ITM

GET IT DONE !!!!!

rocker
06-24-2008, 06:01 PM
here's my solution. build a field turf pitch immediately south of the stadium. right up against Ontario drive. You can keep the road intact that runs along the south side of the stadium. You'd have to make a parking entrance there as you'd lose the entrance from close to the Lakeshore. But then you could make an exit/entrance on Lakeshore into that side of the parking lot.
The field would fit without messing up the footbridge that leads to the entrance of Ontario place. Then you'd have this as the public/winter bubble field with grass in BMO. and it wouldn't take away from much parking cuz there isn't much there... and it would be close enough that people could dress in the changerooms and walk over.
Alternatively, you could put a field east-west over that shitty baseball diamond over by Medieval Times.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/PhJD/bmoextrafield.jpg

ExiledRed
06-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Rocker,

Use control and T (transform) to transform and reshape objects on a seperate layer.
By holding down CTRL or ALT on the corner bounding boxes, you can fuck with the perspective. :)

fuck, you could have cloned some bushes around it too so it doesnt look like a flying carpet way above the ground.

I had to point this out as that is an awful hack job^^