PDA

View Full Version : The "fair weather " fans

TFC Cityboy
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't get it...
At no point today did we consider not going cos of the forecast.

Yes, there were traffic issues today and the ground was maybe quarter full at KO, but well past HT I'd say actual attendance today was no higher than 14,000 (announced at 18,000plus).
To those that stayed home.....You missed the best damned team performance I have seen at BMO..hope you had a nice warm afternoon in front of the telly.

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
I stayed home because I'm having serious vision problems, and took the week off work as a result. I've spent most of the past 5-6 days sitting in the dark or wearing sunglasses indoors because light hurts my eyes, and only since yesterday have I really been able to watch television or use a computer for more than an hour or so.

So yes, I watched the game on television.

- Scott

rocktml
04-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Eye Infection, Scott?

I myself went through the same thing last week. Worst 2 weeks of my life......

poppamidnight
04-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Lakeshore.... WTF

plus these parade clowns?

I was stopped in front of the entrance to Parking for 5 mins (on top of already being late) because this parade goof in front of me was trying to plead the fact he had no $ for parking... HELLO! DO YOU NOT SEE THE $12 PARKING SIGNS? I JUST SPENT 30 MINS CREEPING UP THE LAKESHORE BECAUSE OF YOUR PEEPS AND NOW THIS!!!

TFC Cityboy
04-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I stayed home because I'm having serious vision problems, and took the week off work as a result. I've spent most of the past 5-6 days sitting in the dark or wearing sunglasses indoors because light hurts my eyes, and only since yesterday have I really been able to watch television or use a computer for more than an hour or so.

- Scott
hope you get better soon, Scott.

My dig is PURELY at those who can't face getting a bit wet and cold to follow their team.
No offense intended to those who couldn't attend for any reason other than weather-related.

T.O TILL I DIE
04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
it was 18,000

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Eye Infection, Scott?

I myself went through the same thing last week. Worst 2 weeks of my life......

I hope so, but I don't see an optometrist until tomorrow to know for sure. I take medication for high blood pressure, so I'm worried it may be related to that.

The fact that it has improved a bit in the past couple of days has me hopeful that it was just an infection of some sort.

- Scott

ArmenJBX
04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Man, I love this team, but if I went today I would fail my class. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices, I guess..

ensco
04-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Can you blame people really for not coming? It wasn't just the weather, I mean even team management admitted that as far as they're concerned they were still in the preseason....nobody saw today coming.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2010, 05:33 PM

- Scott

Sorry to hear that, feel better soon...

AL-MO
04-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I hate Sunday games. Glad we are done with them for the year.

Mark120
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't get it...

Yes, there were traffic issues today and the ground was maybe quarter full at KO, but well past HT I'd say actual attendance today was no higher than 14,000 (announced at 18,000plus).
To those that stayed home.....You missed the best damned team performance I have seen at BMO..hope you had a nice warm afternoon in front of the telly.

I completely agree! It was barely even raining in the second half. Great performance by the TFC boys! Didn't that wet grass look lovely?! Some previously criticised players really stepped it up today. Well done to all concerned.

Carts
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't get it...

18,000 on a shitty day, with nothing but negative press surrounding the team is an excellent crowd...

What's your thought on the Blue Jays drawing 10,000 in a Dome where weather doesn't matter...???

You'll always, ALWAYS get no shows... Not everyone skipped due to weather... On any given day, people don't show - on bad weather days, sure there's more...

We won 2-nil and played great - be happy...

Carts...

Carts
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM

+1...

HATE Sunday games...

Carts...

Parkdale
04-25-2010, 05:45 PM

you hate a lot of things. I've got no problem with sunday games, or 2:00 kickoffs, or rain.

sometimes life happens and people have to miss games. no biggie. but if they missed this one, it was their loss.

TFC Cityboy
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
18,000 on a shitty day, with nothing but negative press surrounding the team is an excellent crowd...

What's your thought on the Blue Jays drawing 10,000 in a Dome where weather doesn't matter...???

You'll always, ALWAYS get no shows... Not everyone skipped due to weather... On any given day, people don't show - on bad weather days, sure there's more...

Carts...
I am very happy and have posted very positive stuff in the post game thread. The team was fantastic, the football good quality...
:)

I was merely trying to make a point that many chose to stay away due to the weather. I know there are always no shows for a variety of perfectly valid reasons, but if there were not 18000 people in there today- more like 14-15...even the south stand was sparse.

just sayin, and certainly not trying to start a fight on a rare happy day for us all!!

:)

Nodoubtguy
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
my dad didn't make it out today because he threw his back out, but I was in 112 instead of my regular 115 today and had a blast.

Rain games always seem like a good time

Parkdale
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
rainy, cold days just make the people who were there appreciate the win more.

That's life.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 05:55 PM
In Detroit. Exam tomorrow. Still was plotting was to make it to Toronto and back, and driving back with a bit of a beer buzz.

FML.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Lakeshore.... WTF

I was stopped in front of the entrance to Parking for 5 mins (on top of already being late) because this parade goof in front of me was trying to plead the fact he had no $ for parking... HELLO! DO YOU NOT SEE THE $12 PARKING SIGNS? I JUST SPENT 30 MINS CREEPING UP THE LAKESHORE BECAUSE OF YOUR PEEPS AND NOW THIS!!!

Foresight you goof. You should've taken public transit.

AND WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS DOES NOT MAKE YOUR POINT MORE VALID.

TFC Cityboy
04-25-2010, 05:58 PM

That's life.
very true!!

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't get it...

Catching glimpses on CBC of the mostly empty stadium at KO was extremely disappointing. I knew the issues (traffic, DVP) and I knew it was going to fill up but I was still disappointed.

Manutd #1
04-25-2010, 06:02 PM
who cares if people did not come they missed 2 goals and a tfc victory. Yea we would love to see a full stadium but whatever it still sounded good, so the right fans were there

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 06:03 PM
The thing that kind of disappoints me isn't the empty seats at kickoff - because as has been mentioned, it usually fills out after a while. What's disappointing, is seeing the empty seats as the game is winding down. When we are behind by a goal with eight minutes to play, you should be yelling your ass off to carry your team to victory, not looking to beat everyone else to the parking lot. If we are ahead by a goal or two, you should stay to applaud your team for the performance.

- Scott

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 06:04 PM
In Calgary, about two provinces and the Canadian Shield in the way. Sorry. :D

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 06:04 PM
The thing that kind of disappoints me isn't the empty seats at kickoff - because as has been mentioned, it usually fills out after a while. What's disappointing, is seeing the empty seats as the game is winding down. When we are behind by a goal with eight minutes to play, you should be yelling your ass off to carry your team to victory, not looking to beat everyone else to the parking lot. If we are ahead by a goal or two, you should stay to applaud your team for the performance.

- Scott

This is why GO Transit needs to be talked to. Immediately.

Bloor West FC
04-25-2010, 06:07 PM

This is why MLSE needs to look at the Go transit schedule or just hope fans no the schedule and take the early train to the game.;)

And suck it up at the end, wait for the next one!! Seriously Go Transit is slowly buying the line just paid millions for 8 miles of the Oakville sub, once we own the track it will be easier to work around. Now we have to deal with CN/Via. CN are not the best people to deal with.

Cashcleaner
04-25-2010, 06:09 PM

What Bloor FC said.

There are far more people travelling on the GO on any given day than there are seats at BMO Field. If anyone should be adjusting their schedule, it's the club.

Beach_Red
04-25-2010, 06:13 PM

- Scott

Hope you feel better soon.

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 06:19 PM
In Calgary, about two provinces and the Canadian Shield in the way. Sorry. :D

Nobody asked you to dig a tunnel ,dude!

There are far more people travelling on the GO on any given day than there are seats at BMO Field. If anyone should be adjusting their schedule, it's the club.

I'm also curious who thought it would be a great idea to have the Sikh kalsa parade at the same time down at the Ex grounds.

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 06:21 PM

It was a great performance - who knew we could string passes together!

Ladies Love Julius James
04-25-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm worried I'll get a cold so I didn't go to the game. There my tickets I can do what I want with them.

My Mother is Well
04-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't normally post here, but it was a wee bit more than small traffic issue mate! It took me 1 hour and a half to get to the parking lot from Brampton, and half time before i got to my seats. The Lakeshore was shut, the Jameson exit from the qew was shut, making it impossible to get there! I saw dozens of Toronto supporters turning round on the Lakeshore and going home, and I don't blame them, but am i glad I didn't.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm also curious who thought it would be a great idea to have the Sikh kalsa parade at the same time down at the Ex grounds.

I'm sure the Sikh organizers' first concern was the TFC game...

Dude, cultural stuff happens all the time in Toronto. There was plenty of advance notice that there were going to traffic problems, Waiting for the later GO Train sucks, but it saves such a headache.

Villa TFC
04-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Sicknesses and family-events aside, unfortunately, not every season ticket holder at BMO is a real football fan. There are a lot of people there who have season tickets because it's the 'in' thing to do and something to boast to their buddies in their local frappa/mocca/supa-cino organic fair-trade world-village cafe and at the Adopt-an-orphaned-carrot festival...or they can't get Leafs season tickets and decided to jump on the TFC bandwagon while they could. The post-match conversations these people have on the Union Station streetcar are usually centred on the environmental impact of 3D televisions, the top chefs in Yorkville or using their iPhones and Blackberries to find out the starting pitcher in the Blue Jays game. Needless to say, they don't 'do' rain (it can harm their blonde-highlights), don't 'do' traffic jams and try to avoid ethnic events unless there's a tax receipt included.

footballcanada
04-25-2010, 06:39 PM
i'll only come if it's the playoffs

Yeoman
04-25-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm worried I'll get a cold so I didn't go to the game. There my tickets I can do what I want with them.

man now right there gentlemen, is a true ultra.

Waggy
04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Sicknesses and family-events aside, unfortunately, not every season ticket holder at BMO is a real football fan. There are a lot of people there who have season tickets because it's the 'in' thing to do and something to boast to their buddies in their local frappa/mocca/supa-cino organic fair-trade world-village cafe and at the Adopt-an-orphaned-carrot festival...or they can't get Leafs season tickets and decided to jump on the TFC bandwagon while they could. The post-match conversations these people have on the Union Station streetcar are usually centred on the environmental impact of 3D televisions, the top chefs in Yorkville or using their iPhones and Blackberries to find out the starting pitcher in the Blue Jays game. Needless to say, they don't 'do' rain (it can harm their blonde-highlights), don't 'do' traffic jams and try to avoid ethnic events unless there's a tax receipt included.

Dude, the majority of TFC seasons tickets went before TFC had ever kicked off, disappointed a fan or sold a jersey. There was no bandwagon to jump on. People didn't show up because who wants to watch a crappy team play in crappy weather? TFC has no-one to blame for poor attendance but their style of play and the success they've had over the years. Today was a great effort, if they do the same for more games then there won't be empty seats, simple as that.

greatwhitenorf
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I bet if you reviewed the team's history of playing games in the rain, you'd find they've got a good won-lost record. The ones I've seen have usually been very entertaining as the rain seems to speed up the movement of the ball and let the players play with real gusto.

Today was trrific.

Villa TFC
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Dude, the majority of TFC seasons tickets went before TFC had ever kicked off, disappointed a fan or sold a jersey

True...and the majority went to real fans, but an awful lot were snapped up by people who could never get Leafs season tickets, can't afford Raptors tickets and didn't want to miss the new opportunity. There's some amazing support at BMO (and support doesn't have to be positive...it can be negative too) but there are a lot of season ticket holders who quietly sit there, play with their Blackberries, discuss the weather and current affairs and who stay home when the weather's bad or the DVP is closed.

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm sure the Sikh organizers' first concern was the TFC game...

Dude, cultural stuff happens all the time in Toronto. There was plenty of advance notice that there were going to traffic problems, Waiting for the later GO Train sucks, but it saves such a headache.

It's a big city, and TFC is a few hours every couple weeks. Doesn't matter that it was Sikhs, could have been Orangemen or water buffaloes, it was still a bad time to have that part of the Lakeshore closed.

I don't find fault with the organisers but with whoever approved the timing.

Villa TFC
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM

That's life.

Very true. Best noise and best support comes in the coldest and wettest days...and now, we get some of the best action too as we get juicy sliding tackles and the scent of damp grass and fresh mud! Mmmmmm.

boban
04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't get it...

My dig is PURELY at those who can't face getting a bit wet and cold to follow their team.
No offense intended to those who couldn't attend for any reason other than weather-related.
Do you feel better now? If only people could be as good and dedicated as you.
People like you need to get over yourself.

TheKing7
04-25-2010, 06:54 PM
If we put in that performance on a weekly basis, I don't care how many show up! :D

shaggingscot
04-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Typical...always someone else's fault. How about people read up on what's going on and make plans accordingly so they don't miss the fucking match! Take an earlier train, drive down an hour earlier than normal...fucking hell, it's always someone else's fault right?

James Oliphant
04-25-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't get it...

http://houston.indymedia.org/uploads/2006/01/gimme-a-fucking-break.jpg

shaggingscot
04-25-2010, 07:06 PM
lol....well thought out argument tosspot.

Thanks for the input!

:facepalm:

Whoop
04-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I love rain games!

Andy Welsh!

Waggy
04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
True...and the majority went to real fans, but an awful lot were snapped up by people who could never get Leafs season tickets, can't afford Raptors tickets and didn't want to miss the new opportunity. There's some amazing support at BMO (and support doesn't have to be positive...it can be negative too) but there are a lot of season ticket holders who quietly sit there, play with their Blackberries, discuss the weather and current affairs and who stay home when the weather's bad or the DVP is closed.

I still highly doubt that's why anyone didn't come to the game. People didn't come to the game not because of traffic or some bullshit, but because why would they? TFC has played like garbage for 4 years, seem to be in disarray and have been raising prices (of tickets and of the amenities) constantly. The product on the field dictates the attendence. People didn't miss the jays games last week because they were playing a nothing opponent, they didn't go because the Jays are playing like garbage. Good/entertaining games=fans. Bad/boring games=no fans. TFC has provided 3 years of one, and almost none of the other. It's entirely the FOs fault that there are empty seats, don't let them off the hook by blaming laziness. I'm not boycotting tfc, but I'm boycotting merchendise. And I'd totally understand people saying 'you know what? I'll give this a pass today. I don't need to watch crappy soccer and spend $100+ on a day for 2 people'.

Corpand
04-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Was a fantastic performance, many people were just hanging out at the gardens but thankfully it didnt pour down.

Whoever didnt missed out.

Pachuco
04-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm alot more worried about the atmosphere then the no shows. The people that were there, weren't singing. I haven't missed a rainy game yet, and we are usually LOUDER on rainy games then on sunny days. Today though we seemed to be brutal. Brought a buddy who hadn't come since season 2 and he was absolutely schocked how the atmosphere has changed.

nfitz
04-25-2010, 07:42 PM
TFC has played like garbage for 4 years ...We've been playing quite reasonable at home; and we've got a 9-game MLS unbeaten streak going. I can't see how poor performance would be scaring away fans at BMO Field ... it's been 10-months since they saw us loose a league game!

There were people steadily arriving until the 40th minute or so; never seen anything like it. The Yonge subway was down for half-an-hour from 1 to 1:30 from Bloor to Union, the DVP was closed, the Sikh parade was creating havoc with streetcar service through downtown ...

The GO train was running smoothly though!! Left the house at five-past-one, had almost a 15-minute wait for the train, and still had time to grab a beer, and get to my seat before the anthem!!

And it was the wettest, coldest day in Toronto for a couple of weeks.

Yes, it's a shame the fair-weather fans weren't there. But not a surprise ...

Whoop
04-25-2010, 07:42 PM
I thought 111-112-113 was pretty good especially in the 2nd half.

Carts
04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
We've been playing quite reasonable at home; and we've got a 9-game MLS unbeaten streak going. I can't see how poor performance would be scaring away fans at BMO Field ... it's been 10-months since they saw us loose a league game!

There were people steadily arriving until the 40th minute or so; never seen anything like it. The Yonge subway was down for half-an-hour from 1 to 1:30 from Bloor to Union, the DVP was closed, the Sikh parade was creating havoc with streetcar service through downtown ...

The GO train was running smoothly though!! Left the house at five-past-one, had almost a 15-minute wait for the train, and still had time to grab a beer, and get to my seat before the anthem!!

The subway was down starting at 12 noon... It went down while we were on it... :(

Suddenly we stop, crawl into Bloor and are told to the train is no longer in service...

Luckily we left early as we were going out to lunch - but we didn't arrive at King West until 1pm - normally we would've been there at 12:30pm...

Definitely not an ideal day for a subway problem with the all the road closures...

Carts...

TorCanSoc
04-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah. People stay away because we are a horrible team, and were gifted two home wins. A 10-men philly team, and stefan frei saving a lot of bacon with three one-on-one saves. We're all season ticket holders here most of us since day 1, we're all dedicated to this team. No need to doubt anyone's commitment to the team. But guess what... if we keep losing, and its a midweek game, and its forecast for rain... I'm going to think twice. I'm just being honest.

jazzy
04-25-2010, 07:55 PM

- Scott

Get well soon......take care of those eyes

Technorgasm
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Twats. Twats all of you.
/

grizzle
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Who cares if people decided to stay home. Worry about yourself, not others. First half was pretty boring with the crappy weather, but it was probably one of TFC's best 2nd half's ever.

jazzy
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I hope so, but I don't see an optometrist until tomorrow to know for sure. I take medication for high blood pressure, so I'm worried it may be related to that.

The fact that it has improved a bit in the past couple of days has me hopeful that it was just an infection of some sort.

- Scott
Ask questions always about any antiseptic you put into your eyes ...my mother had real serious issues about an antiseptic liquid she was told to use everyday after an eye operation....a very serious reaction ....involving weaken vision.......best of luck

Roca
04-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Get well soon......take care of those eyes

Second that!

The empty seats at K/O were probably because a lot of people were staying under the bleachers until after the national anthems due to the weather.

To me, it looked like the east stands were pretty full; it was the people in the west stand who didn't show (except the supporters in the NW section!).

Sec 110 started slow but ended well. We're gearing up for the Limp Act and our special song!

Great showing by the team -- and thank heavens for Frei!

Waggy
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
We've been playing quite reasonable at home; and we've got a 9-game MLS unbeaten streak going. I can't see how poor performance would be scaring away fans at BMO Field ... it's been 10-months since they saw us loose a league game!

Right, but the games haven't been interesting and the team has been terrible. In a league when more than 50% of the teams make the playoffs, missing for 3 years is bad. They sold hope for years, at a certain point it stops working. Results need to come. The game today was great, they need to keep it up. It was still a good crowd, it was a good game and a good result. I just don't like this thread blaming fans for not dealing with an hour or more of traffic and some crappy weather to watch a product that has shown itself to be inferior. The responsibility is on the club to provide a product that people want to buy. This message boards thread titles over the past 5 months provide ample reasons for people to not be excited about TFC, and most are valid. Sports is a results oriented business and TFC hasn't given any results at all really. If the product is bad and people don't buy it, blaming the customer is counter productive and stupid.

Either way though, this thread is unnecessary. It was a great win today, lets enjoy it.

jazzy
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM

C'mon....You were having fun, didn't slow you down a bit
Even warm sunny, lazy afternoon games? ....I hate the late mid week games....like Wed for instance....in April?

Whoop
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
I like night games.

jazzy
04-25-2010, 08:16 PM

- Scott
You're right saw quite a few (leaf fans), oops sorry, leaving within 10 mins before ending, weird so entertaining, unless they were were freezing...not me GREAT feeling

)

jazzy
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
i'll only come if it's the playoffs

you're joking right?

James Oliphant
04-25-2010, 08:33 PM
You're right saw quite a few (leaf fans), oops sorry, leaving within 10 mins before ending, weird so entertaining, unless they were were freezing...not me GREAT feeling

)

You're SO much better than them. SO much.

redcard
04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
[quote=poppamidnight;996370]Lakeshore.... WTF

quote]

Who are you calling "parade clowns"? I take offence to this comment.

This event has been going on in Toronto since the early 1970s. Show some respect.

jazzy
04-25-2010, 08:36 PM
I thought 111-112-113 was pretty good especially in the 2nd half.

ya had fun in 111, the same groups were over and above in their dedication, but us in the upper half still don't have even small groups, all together, wish we had a simple song ......

TFC Cityboy
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Do you feel better now? If only people could be as good and dedicated as you.
People like you need to get over yourself.
Charming.

Fact is that the missus and the kids and I base our leisure time around TFC matches and don't commit any weekend events between April and October until the schedule comes out.

If some decide not to use the tickets they paid good money for just because of rain, that's up to them completely, sure...but we and most others on this board would be there in a torrential downpour/ snowstorm/plague of locusts.

I was unaware of the TTC issues, and it seems like there were many issues (closing Lakeshore before a match is just bone-headed lack of communication between 2 groups/ the city) and I am not having a go at those affected by that. Anyone who went off on that tangent (or any other non-rain related ones) missed my point.

I wasn't looking for a pissing contest on here- anyone who knows me, knows that. Was making an observation based on what I saw.

G' night all.It was a great result today and I am hoarse with joy!
Definately something to build on.

Hitcho
04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't get it...

You'll find a lot of people on here who sympathise and fully agree with your point (me included), but you've got to be realistic. BMO Field isn't full of 20,000 dedicated SG members who live and breathe footie. An awful lot of people with SSH packages are take it or leave it kind of fans, go to some games but don't care about mssing others for no particular reason. And then there's the scalper infestation - I bet the weather makes it much harder for them to sell their tickets on.

It would be great to have a full stadium rain or shine, but then again it would be great to have 20,000 people singing and chanting every game too. In about 100 years, we might get lucky and achieve it! :D

koryo
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
hope you get better soon, Scott.

It's what happens in a culture that merely consumes things and treats everything as a commodity. Passion isn't part of the equation, so standing in the rain is never on the table.

The people who didn't come today are the same ones who normally spend most of the time at the game stuffing their faces and the faces of their dim-witted offspring. They consume, that's all they're good for.

They're soulless...dead inside.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
It's what happens in a culture that merely consumes things and treats everything as a commodity. Passion isn't part of the equation, so standing in the rain is never on the table.

The people who didn't come today are the same ones who normally spend most of the time at the game stuffing their faces and the faces of their dim-witted offspring. They consume, that's all they're good for.

They're soulless...dead inside.

Although I wouldnt go so far as saying that fairweather fans are dead inside, its only the norm in Toronto to leave early no matter what the score. If people do that in Toronto with indoor stadiums, what are people going to do on a cold, windy rainy day?

I dont blame them, its just a natural thing for them to leave when they feel appropriate.

I dont get upset too much by fans leaving early, I get uspet with fans talking about EVERYTHING ELSE unrelated to the game for 90 minutes, only stopping to show their "expertise" to whoever they're with and saying "yeah, they're chanting because of some guy, I think he used to be Canadian or something..."

koryo
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Although I wouldnt go so far as saying that fairweather fans are dead inside, its only the norm in Toronto to leave early no matter what the score. If people do that in Toronto with indoor stadiums, what are people going to do on a cold, windy rainy day?

I dont blame them, its just a natural thing for them to leave when they feel appropriate.

I dont get upset too much by fans leaving early, I get uspet with fans talking about EVERYTHING ELSE unrelated to the game for 90 minutes, only stopping to show their "expertise" to whoever they're with and saying "yeah, they're chanting because of some guy, I think he used to be Canadian or something..."

Agreed. In fact my post above was referring to what you just posted... yours is more succinct and less open to interpretation :)

nascarguy
04-25-2010, 09:22 PM
you hate a lot of things. I've got no problem with sunday games, or 2:00 kickoffs, or rain.

sometimes life happens and people have to miss games. no biggie. but if they missed this one, it was their loss.
yeah it was no big deal

Pachuco
04-25-2010, 10:08 PM

I have a theory and I'm sure everyone else agrees. Ever try to get out of ACC or BMO field after a game? I park seriously far so I can get out after the game and I still run into crazy traffic. On top of that the scheduling with the Go Train couldn't get worse. People have things to do and staying an extra hour to see an extra 5 minutes sometimes isn't worth it. The traffic and trasnportation in this city couldn't get worse and I have no doubt it has alot to do with people leaving early.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
I dunno how I feel about the sparse crowd.

I guess it's disappointing if the stadium is not full...but so long as the ones there are putting in a full effort, I am ok with whatever number shows up.

In truth...smaller crowds going forward might get MLSE's attention and make them realize they're not bullet proof and need to put a good product on the pitch. Only time will tell how "dedicated" TFC faithful are.

dupont
04-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice match today.

AL-MO
04-25-2010, 10:26 PM
I don't really care too much about attendance figures.

Mojo
04-25-2010, 11:12 PM

Carts...

The Jays play 81 home games a year. We play less than 20 depending on how well we play.

KezmanCCCC
04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
i wouldnt have skipped out of this game if i had tickets.... id be there rain or shine...

Sonny Cheeba
04-25-2010, 11:34 PM
The Jays play 81 home games a year. We play less than 20 depending on how well we play.

exactly... school isn't even out yet either. don't worry about the Jays people, stop comparing BMO to the dome like it's a big deal. the jays have already played 10 home games.

if TFC played 10 games straight this month with the games occurring in series', i doubt we'd see the same turnout.

as for the fairweather fans thing. some dude in my section today felt the need to yell in people's ears as they left in the 85th minute, and also point at his watch in their faces. very rude man. mind your business and watch the game.

nascarguy
04-25-2010, 11:36 PM
we play 15 mls games, 2 Nutrilite Canadian Championship games, 1or 2 friendly

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 11:39 PM
we play 15 mls games, 2 Nutrilite Canadian Championship games, 1or 2 friendly

so...less than 20

Toronto_Bhoy
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
People prefer different KO times…days of the week…day vs night games…

Just because they chose not to attend a game FOR ANY REASON makes them no more or less of a supporter than the next guy…

I left today with 5 minutes left so I could go the Club for a pint before close…did I miss anything?

menefreghista
04-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Fairweather fans and other excuses aside, the turnout for this game is further proof that the honeymoon is over for this club.

I am pretty sure that this is the first time a weekend TFC game was not played to to a capacity crowd.

but well past HT I'd say actual attendance today was no higher than 14,000 (announced at 18,000plus).

I think your estimate of the actually crowd is fairly accurate. The FO must be concerned about the drop in concession money for the match today. I can not remember having that much room in the concourse nor do I ever remember the concession lines being as short as they were today.

The win will help, but it appears that 3 years of mediocrity has turned the TFC fanbase quite cynical. It would not shock me if we continue to see similar attendance numbers until people get a real sense that this team has been turned around in the right direction.

TheRenter
04-26-2010, 12:54 AM
I don't get it...

i have to agree,....felt great to be a fan of this club 'live' today.

T F C!

james
04-26-2010, 01:47 AM
this isnt the first rainy day we have had where the stadium maybe has 15,000 fans in the seats. I do remember a few games in the passed being rainy and having only 15-17,000 fans show up.

OneLoveOneEric
04-26-2010, 07:19 AM
What an absolutely bullshit thread. I didn't go to the game. Wasn't because of weather. It's because I've been selling all my tickets because I'm completely disillusioned by this team, and I can't find the will to show up right now.
Every club/group/whatever will always have it's people that feel the need to make themselves feel more "inner circle" by defining an outer circle.
Just go to the game and worry less about other people.
This thread reminds me of that scene from Almost Famous....
...don't worry -- you guys aren't groupies. You're Band Aids.

t17UZbiBSXU

tfcleeds
04-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Considering our record in "rain" games, I'm surprised more people didn't turn out. We seem to actually have a chance at winning when it rains, hence why I don't mind it at all.

Yes, the attendance at KO was pathetic, but I did notice the stadium fill up as the first half progressed.

mastermixer
04-26-2010, 07:44 AM
I have a theory and I'm sure everyone else agrees. Ever try to get out of ACC or BMO field after a game? I park seriously far so I can get out after the game and I still run into crazy traffic. On top of that the scheduling with the Go Train couldn't get worse. People have things to do and staying an extra hour to see an extra 5 minutes sometimes isn't worth it. The traffic and trasnportation in this city couldn't get worse and I have no doubt it has alot to do with people leaving early.

I think this is the main reason people leave early. And its the reason I don't take the GO Train to games. Don't want to wait for an hour after the game.

billyfly
04-26-2010, 08:47 AM
This spring has been the worse for me in regards to double/triple bookings. I had 3 things yesterday during the the game so I couldn't make it. My daughter's birthday is on Wed, so I'll miss the NCC game as well.

English Rachel
04-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Lol I got drenched but who cares :) We actually played football yesterday and I would have sat in a cold bath to witness that!

canucker
04-26-2010, 09:01 AM
I would have loved to go but I'm broke these days. Hoping I can scrounge up some money and buy a cheapie for Weds!

Belfast_Boy
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
it was a great game. I've sat in a lot worse, so yesterday wasn't that bad. seemed to warm up nicely after the second goal..... or was it the Appletons???

that may have been the best I've seen them play. especially the second half. they had some nice movement and possession.

I like Sunday afternoon games.

as for those that didn't show up, some probably had legit reasons. the rest, well, it sucks to be you. perhaps you're not a real supporter.

Dave67
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM
In truth...smaller crowds going forward might get MLSE's attention and make them realize they're not bullet proof and need to put a good product on the pitch. Only time will tell how "dedicated" TFC faithful are.

Was thinking about this on my drive in today. That small crowd might be the best thing that ever happens to us.

Beyond that I really don't care what people do with their time, money & tickets. Come late, leave early, I'm not living their life, I'm living mine.

tfcleeds
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
I think I'll reserve judgement until the Montreal game to determine if the bloom is really off the TFC rose as far as attendance goes. I'm not going to get all worked up about poor attendance on a rainy, blustery day. Yes, I've seen worse (albeit on weeknights) when it rained, but if it's a nice sunny evening Wednesday, and we can't fill the house for Montreal, then I'll start to get worried.

Fort York Redcoat
04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
What an absolutely bullshit thread. I didn't go to the game. Wasn't because of weather. It's because I've been selling all my tickets because I'm completely disillusioned by this team, and I can't find the will to show up right now.
Every club/group/whatever will always have it's people that feel the need to make themselves feel more "inner circle" by defining an outer circle.
Just go to the game and worry less about other people.
This thread reminds me of that scene from Almost Famous....
...don't worry -- you guys aren't groupies. You're Band Aids.

So you're pissed at people explaining themselves yet you explain why you didn't show.

Parkdale
04-26-2010, 09:25 AM
yeah..... I'm thinking this thread has pretty much run it's course.

any objections to closing it down?

Yeoman
04-26-2010, 09:26 AM
i have objections

TFC Cityboy
04-26-2010, 09:26 AM
none from me (as the shitstirrer on this)....I should have suggested it last night, Mike!

Kevvv
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM
seconded

Parkdale
04-26-2010, 09:28 AM
i have objections

overruled!

anyway, I don't think there's anything good to come from continuing this one.

let's try to focus this energy into our hatred of all things 'Impact'.