PDA

View Full Version : Post Game: Toronto Destroys Seattle

Pages : [1] 2

Batman
04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Have at it

I think this was JDG best game as a Red (white)

Co-Men of Match in my books, Frei, and JDG

TFCRegina
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
First half was poor but we didn't get scored on, so that was a plus.

The second half was probably the best football I've seen from TFC in a long long long time.

bimmer
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I wonder what the pitch will look like tomorrow... it took a beating today.

TFC USA
04-25-2010, 03:03 PM
TFC read my message. I said "Win or Die" and they will indeed live another day.

Excellent 2nd half, but MO is still not off the hook.

Batman
Gixmo.
FYI, We created post match threads at same time. I just closed yours as others had posted in this one. (It's easier than merging.)
Cheers
Batman

DichioTFC
WHO ARE THESE GUYS??

after that first goal, we saw a team that was confident, executed VERY well, and with amazing teamwork!! call me a kool-aid drinker or not, but this is the start of greatness for Preki's squad

PLAYOFFS ARE COMING!!!!!

twistedchinaman
Best. Second. Half. Ever.

Shakes McQueen
Most comprehensive victory I've seen TFC earn in two years at least.

No luck - all skill. That second half was the best half of football I've seen TFC play since the team entered the league. We were passing the ball accurately and intelligently, playing a real possession game (!!!), Frei made a few big saves to clinch the clean sheet, and JDG played like a bonafide designated player today. Absolutely great to see.

- Scott

Kilgore Trout
04-25-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't care about the epic road losses, I still feel more confident about the potential of this TFC team over the rest of the season than the teams we had last year or the year before or the year before that.

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Fuck yeah!

Great game from De Guzman, DeRo and White!

Good games ffrom the backline too!

yanggoh
04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
I have no idea where that came from, but I LOVE it.

manic.street.preacher
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM

No luck - all skill. That second half was the best half of football I've seen TFC play since the team entered the league. We were passing the ball accurately and intelligently, playing a real possession game (!!!), Frei made a few big saves to clinch the clean sheet, and JDG played like a bonafide designated player today. Absolutely great to see.

- Scott

^ yes to all of this

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
WHO ARE THESE GUYS??

after that first goal, we saw a team that was confident, executed VERY well, and with amazing teamwork!! call me a kool-aid drinker or not, but this is the start of greatness for Preki's squad

PLAYOFFS ARE COMING!!!!!

Whoa there, far too premature -- Montreal and Chicago are coming. I'll believe a little more if we pull the same result over the Limpact and the Flameouts.

TFC USA
04-25-2010, 03:08 PM
MoM: DeRo and JDG

The De Train was just amazing today.

WhoAteAllthePie
I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, Seattle came off of 3 days rest while TFC got a full week, not saying thats the reason for the win as TFC looked fantastic in the second half, but lets get a string of wins together before we start proclaiming we're playoff bound.

alantang999
I loved how the team played extremely hard and rough (borderline reckless :P) against the Sounders...It's not pretty but for today it was extremely effective.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

TFC USA
04-25-2010, 03:09 PM

- Scott

I'd say Alonso just handing the ball to DeRo was luck. But the finish was all skill.

ArmenJBX
The Good, Bad, and Ugly

Overall Team Rating: 7.5
Team MVP: Julian de Guzman
Surprise Player of the Game: Dan Gargan

The Good
-Obviously, the score line! A great 2-0 win against tough opposition. Second half was probably the best half I've seen from TFC.
-STEFAN FREI. Fantastic game son, you were solid!
-Hometown boys. De Rosario with his 5th and De Guzman with an impressive showing!

The Bad
-Maksim Usanov with his yellow card.
-Martin Saric with his yellow card, along with some rough tackles.
-Just a couple of mistakes, but otherwise, not too bad.

The Ugly
-Rainy day meant ugly stream on CBC. Too much water on the lenses! Get on that CBC! :D
-I believe it was Alonso? Made one hell of a goof up, leading to goal numero uno! Not bad for us, but ugly for Seattle! :D
-Beyond that, not a lot of ugly today. A hard fought, 2-0 win.

Sidenotes
-Julian de Guzman gets the vice-captaincy.
-O'Brian White is the first person to score besides DeRo this season.
-First ever victory over Seattle, and over Sigi Schmidt.

GOOD JOB BOYS!

TFCUNITED
They played very well in the second half. Nice passing and great saves by Frei.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Tonight, we celebrate a real, honest to goodness, down to earth victory.

Well done lads! But don't let your guard down...tougher times are guaranteed ahead.

ag futbol
Post game summary: 11 pussies roll on ground for hour, lose game 2-0 [/thread]

Gixmo
Can we correct the spelling in the thread title

(No problems on merge! Delete even if u want!)

TFC USA
Holy shit the Red Wings are losing 4-1.

This day can't get any better.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:11 PM
I loved how the team played extremely hard and rough (borderline reckless :P) against the Sounders...It's not pretty but for today it was extremely effective.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

With a team like the Sounders you have to take a chance or two...or six...push the boundaries, make them play gritty. Seattle's just not that type of team...and Saric, for all the railing he's gotten, has made this painfully obvious.

Brooker
04-25-2010, 03:12 PM
on the main page of mlsnet.com it says "Sounders gift wrap 2 goals"

heaven forbid they admit somebody played really well and much better against their precious Sounders.

SteeltownBhoy
04-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Best De Guzman performance this year, the skill was certainly evident!!

ag futbol
04-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Props to alphabet soup, after looking extremely shaky early on he was one of our better players today.

I will say that if Frei wasn't back there to save us big time, this game would of had a different outlook. But overall, we moved the ball well, lots of guys got involved in the attack for once and the defense was better.

adam1001
great second half. love what the local boys brought to the game.. On a side note, id like to see more of gabe gala. He seems like a fast, agile young player.

bigtfcfan
There was a point in the game where toronto made more than 10 passes without losing the ball. Ive never seen that before by toronto. good work.

boban
04-25-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't care what some of you think. Saric comes to play.
A bit hard nose, but you know he doesn't mess around.
Finally, someone other than DeRo scores. Yay!!
Something to build on in this game.
Hopefully the second half was not an aberration.

TheKing7
04-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Everyone played well today!

-Frei! Frei! Frei!
-Backline was solid - improving every game.
-JDG was magnificant, Labrocca/Gargan/Cronin/Gala worked hard in the midfield.
-Saric plays on edge, even though he got booked he still broke up play and put in a few hard tackles.
- Pairing upfront worked well, improved holding up play in the second half which led to our success.
- Dero... was Dero!

boban
04-25-2010, 03:16 PM

heaven forbid they admit somebody played really well and much better against their precious Sounders.
Well the first goal was truth be told.

TFC USA
Hope this game ends the crazy talk about "I miss Carver".

Could you imagine Carver's style?

We'd be hoofing the ball to no one.

volunteer
obw's goal was a nice one and instead of relying on the other side to constantly fuck up this was the first game ive seen TFC play decently and win on its own merits

MrHawk
04-25-2010, 03:17 PM
A win is a win...................

Just glad they didn't blow it......hopefully good momentum for the upcoming matches this week.

Only was able to catch bits und pieces of it.

TFC USA
5-1 Phoenix.

Oh god this is dreamland.

Fuck the Red Wings and fuck the Sounders. Today is a great day. :)

Redcoe15
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

:flare::drum: DE-RO! :drum::flare:

:flare::drum: DE-RO! :drum::flare:

:flare::drum: DE-RO!:drum::flare:

Another goal scored, and how 'bout that pass he fed to OBW? Man O' The Match in my books with Frei not far behind. Impessive victory over the Flounders.

TFC4Magpies
when the sounders put 3 attacking subs in, I still wasnt nervous, that back line is pretty solid, especially Attakora and Cann

Pryu
04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Nice possession in the second half. Great movement of ball by De Guzman. Dero,...my hero. Nick is a great pickup. Saric,... good because he's a pest, the opponents must get all worked up,...but seems a bit too short fused,...psycho. Take it easy!

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 03:20 PM
5-1 Phoenix.

Oh god this is dreamland.

Fuck the Red Wings and fuck the Sounders. Today is a great day. :)

LOL @ Morris dragging Abdelkader around by the head, punching him repeatedly.

- Scott

Chevy
04-25-2010, 03:21 PM
First game in quite some time when we were not backing up for the last 15 minutes. Possession was at least 50/50.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:22 PM

And if he gets a card or two, he doesn't care -- and that's the way uh-huh, uh-huh I LIKE it!

...KC and the Sunshine Band...

</Austin Powers reference>

In all seriousness, we can rail on Saric all we want, but if he pussyfooted around Seattle's front line would have been running absolutely fucking amok.

TheKing7
when the sounders put 3 attacking subs in, I still wasnt nervous, that back line is pretty solid, especially Attakora and Cann

They are now known as "CanNana" :flare:

ArmenJBX
They are now known as "CanNana" :flare:

CanNana! :D I love it!

flatpicker
I just discovered today's result.
I wish I could have seen it.
Stuck in uk with jetlag.

So pleased though... Well done boys!

Flint
04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Great game for Frei comming up big when he needed to. Great game from a team which looked way better than any other game they've played this season.

Broadview
04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
I like lurking other teams post game threads when it suits me. Found this gem of a rant:

"1 point from two of the worst teams in the league is embarassing and pathetic. Changes need to be made. People need to be held accountable. There's NO accountability in this organization, all the way up to the top. Our club rested on it's laurels during the offseason and did NOTHING to improve, and now it shows that most of the league has passed us by. I'm officially tired of all the "we played well, but just didn't finish our chances" talk. No, when you lose, you didn't play well. When you constantly give away the lead, you didn't play well. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do right now to improve, but once the transfer window opens, I want to see MAJOR changes, and if we continue to have the same quiet, non-improving offseason next year, Adrian needs to be voted out of his position when it comes time to vote. This club needs to be held accountable."

Seems like everywhere you go, supporters are the same ;)

billyfly
04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Figures. Game I don't go to and half i don"t see is the best from TFC in a long time.

TFCRegina
I like lurking other teams post game threads when it suits me. Found this gem of a rant:

"1 point from two of the worst teams in the league is embarassing and pathetic. Changes need to be made. People need to be held accountable. There's NO accountability in this organization, all the way up to the top. Our club rested on it's laurels during the offseason and did NOTHING to improve, and now it shows that most of the league has passed us by. I'm officially tired of all the "we played well, but just didn't finish our chances" talk. No, when you lose, you didn't play well. When you constantly give away the lead, you didn't play well. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do right now to improve, but once the transfer window opens, I want to see MAJOR changes, and if we continue to have the same quiet, non-improving offseason next year, Adrian needs to be voted out of his position when it comes time to vote. This club needs to be held accountable."

We should encourage this attitude. Maybe it'll let their front office dismantle the club and rotate 60 players through the squad in 3 years and 5 games? :P

TFC USA
Whiny Seattle bitches. May they always have hot coffee on their balls.

Keystone FC
The Good, Bad, and Ugly
The Bad
-Maksim Usanov with his yellow card.
-Martin Saric with his yellow card, along with some rough tackles.
Face it. This is the team that Preki wants in there, for right now, and they ain't going to play pretty. I believe Preki said,'If you want a bunch of ballerinas I will get a bunch of ballerinas.' This is going to be a 'Card Carrying' bunch of players...goons if you like, but they are out there to play and I think we can expect to see more of this....which I like.:)

Sidenotes
-Julian de Guzman gets the vice-captaincy.
-O'Brian White is the first person to score besides DeRo this season.
-First ever victory over Seattle, and over Sigi Schmidt.

GOOD JOB BOYS!
Also...TFC First win in the Whites.

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Figures. Game I don't go to and half i don"t see is the best from TFC in a long time.

Don't you see billy? You're a cancer on this team! :D

- Scott

Pryu
Who's the ass wipe that threw the gatorade bottle at Ljunberg. No need to act like redbulls fans.

boban
Saric,... good because he's a pest, the opponents must get all worked up,...but seems a bit too short fused,...psycho. Take it easy!
It's the Croatian blood.
Don't fuck with the Croat. LOL

jloome
And if he gets a card or two, he doesn't care -- and that's the way uh-huh, uh-huh I LIKE it!

...KC and the Sunshine Band...

</Austin Powers reference>

In all seriousness, we can rail on Saric all we want, but if he pussyfooted around Seattle's front line would have been running absolutely fucking amok.

Let's not get delusional; TFC won today in spite of him. His studs were two feet off the ground in the first tackle and it could have been a straight red. The later takedown on the Nyassi could've been another.

Tough is great, but he's as reckless as Harmse, and it will cost us big time eventually.

TheKing7
04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
CanNana! :D I love it!

hah the Forza T.O inspired me. T-Ohhhhhhhhh, CanNanananananana!

Redcoe15
04-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Who's the ass wipe that threw the gatorade bottle at Ljunberg. No need to act like redbulls fans.
My thoughts exact. What a douche move.

Redcoe15
04-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Hee hee hee hee heeeee... :D

Gixmo
04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Observation

2 Home Matches this year = 2 Missiles from the South East Corner

Tsk Tsk, when will you learn!

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Whiny Seattle bitches. May they always have hot coffee on their balls.

Probably because they still can't believe that Timmy's and Voodoo (in Portland) makes a better doughnut that Top Pot. :D

Gixmo
04-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Lots of quality on the pitch today, Total team effort with a few miscues that can be worked on. Preki must be pleased with the second half performance, albeit a few burps in the backline.

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM

It's not like they were own goals! We still had to finish them! Sheesh, if it would have been the other way around I'm sure it would have read "Sounders out play, out pace, and out hustle TFC.":facepalm:

devioustrevor
04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
JDG absolutely bossed the Midfield today. If he keeps playing like that he is by far the best play in MLS, really only Ladycakes comes even close.

I didn't see the first half, but in the 2nd half I thought even our suspect Fullbacks played well. There were a couple of sequences were Hscanovics even looked good with the ball at his feet.

What the hell is with Saric? Is Preki wanting to see if he'll pull a Roy Keane because I don't think there are any Norwegians in MLS.

I thought Gabe Gala looked really good after being subbed in. Looks confident and even a little dangerous with the ball at his feet.

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
I wonder what the pitch will look like tomorrow... it took a beating today.
Forget tomorrow...it's WEDNESDAY we need to worry about.
:scarf:

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Let's not get delusional; TFC won today in spite of him. His studs were two feet off the ground in the first tackle and it could have been a straight red. The later takedown on the Nyassi could've been another.

Tough is great, but he's as reckless as Harmse, and it will cost us big time eventually.

Would you prefer he didn't get a little bit in-their-face? I wouldn't...the studs-up tackle was stupid I will admit, but otherwise the rest of the game was okay.

With teams like Seattle, you need someone who is willing to get into those tackles and show the opposing front line who's boss, or they WILL come in and make your back line's life a miserable hell.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:35 PM
It's not like they were own goals! We still had to finish them! Sheesh, if it would have been the other way around I'm sure it would have read "Sounders out play, out pace, and out hustle TFC.":facepalm:

The first one was an absolute clanger by the Seattle defence, that's a gift. The second one...no. Absolutely no.

ArmenJBX
04-25-2010, 03:38 PM
http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

Game in 6 is up

manic.street.preacher
04-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Face it. This is the team that Preki wants in there, for right now, and they ain't going to play pretty. I believe Preki said,'If you want a bunch of ballerinas I will get a bunch of ballerinas.' This is going to be a 'Card Carrying' bunch of players...goons if you like, but they are out there to play and I think we can expect to see more of this....which I like.:)
^ this is something i'm slowly coming to realise, we're going to be a chippy hockey-esque bunch ... but so long as i get 3 points for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, i'm happy

ag futbol
04-25-2010, 03:40 PM
The first one was an absolute clanger by the Seattle defence, that's a gift. The second one...no. Absolutely no.
That's just what's going to happen when you properly apply pressure up the field ... especially in game conditions like we had today.

Too many goals get diluted down to "mistakes" as opposed to great plays by opposing players. The first one was absolutely sloppy on their part but the second we picked off a pass on the half way line (happens), looked to counter, and it paid off.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 03:40 PM

First goal was a gift, but DeRo definitely used skill to pick it up, maneuver around their excuse of a pylon and knock it past a well-positioned Keller. It wasn't like a Nicky G. gift :D

Theres always room to improve, but lets enjoy the first win in white kits!!
:scarf:

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Game in 6 is up

lol i bet if it were a loss, the game in 6 would've been up by monday morning
:flare::flare::flare:

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Would you prefer he didn't get a little bit in-their-face? I wouldn't...the studs-up tackle was stupid I will admit, but otherwise the rest of the game was okay.
Agree

With teams like Seattle, you need someone who is willing to get into those tackles and show the opposing front line who's boss, or they WILL come in and make your back line's life a miserable hell.
With ANY team in the MLS we need to show some muscle. We still are in a pub league for what it's worth and the refs are not getting any better.
some clubs are starting to go the way of dying swans and floppers and for a time I thought TFC should go that route but I'm glad we went with grit, grime, and dirty tackles over the likes of Blanco, Shitletto, Landycakes and few others.
It's the fullback in me...what can I say.

spot-on
04-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Did anyone else notice how Zakuani basically elbowed Hscanovics in the box? You can see it in the game in six. CBC should have had that replay for us...

ag futbol
04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Did anyone else notice how Zakuani basically elbowed Hscanovics in the box? You can see it in the game in six. CBC should have had that replay for us...
I'm pretty sure that was Estrada, no?

But i think they got tangled up running down the field. You can clearly see him charge into the box and take down Hscanovics. Then later Hiscanovic sliced him on a tackle as payback.

How a ref and a linesman can miss something so clear is beyond me. This officiating crew was a joke, even by MLS standards.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 03:54 PM

I agree. Saric / Alphabet Soup / Usanov setting the tone early with a yellow is a nice way of letting the team know that we're not gonna back down for anybody. Hopefully they dont get sent off later on for a silly foul (like Saric should've been today when the Sounders winger was down the right).

But still, Preki played physical and no doubts like the hard tackling guys... and c'mon, the sight of Ljungberg flying through the air was a great moment... Second only to this...

Qc09yuc07YI
:canada:

TFCRegina
04-25-2010, 03:56 PM

No, no no...

It would have said something like Nyassi Leads Seattle To Victory with Creative Play

loconet
04-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Positive glimpses but there is still much work. Part of the 2nd half, I saw possession and short thought out passes. Amazing concept! In those 10-20 mins that we stopped dicking around with useless high balls, we generated more chances than the entire game. Pleaseeeeeeeeeee continue with that!

MarkoftheDrink
04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
WOW we needed a game like that sooooo badly. What a breath of fresh air. I'm not sure how much a tired Seattle had to do with it, tbh I don't really care at this point. I just hope this is a sign of things to come and not a big tease.

We looked like more of a team today which is why I think JDG had his best game. Can't wait to see two halves strung together like that second one. Gives me hope for TFC and MLS.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Qc09yuc07YI
:canada:

Ah yes, the infamous Serioux slide.

:D

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
It would have said something like Nyassi Leads Seattle To Victory with Creative Play

:facepalm:

JuliquE
04-25-2010, 04:00 PM
They fought hard for each other, and deserved this result.

I think it's funny that people are saying it was down to luck, with that first goal.. meanwhile, the ref. had JUST prior gotten in the way of a dangerous looking cross into the box and it took DeRo's sharpness to maintain the momentum; I'm not sure the defender knew much about it, so it's no wonder he fumbled.. but DeRo still had everything to do. The second goal was straight class.

For me, Usanov was quality. He was unlucky to pick up the card on that challenge, but single-handedly saved the day on a couple occasions.. and, as others have noted, joined in on the attack.

I only highlight him because I feel that everyone else, that deserved it, received their praises.

Top notch from our boys in.. white.

Tschuess.

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Game in 6 is up
What I love about White's goal is that he played DEFENSE! He went after the ball and knocked it back towards the Seattle backline which sent off the chain reaction that lead to his goal.
This is going to sound...well...who cares how it sounds. This is how I play on EA's FIFA. My Forwards are the 1st line of defense and will go after the ball no matter who has it. This puts the opposition forwards in a position to make mistakes like Seattle did.
This is the aggression I was waiting to see from this club.
I will say it. If they continue to play the rest of season like they did today and STILL don't make the playoffs I will still be happy because they played to win...not to look pretty.
:scarf::flare:

RPG_Markham
04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Frei - Standing O!

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
I just got back from the game. The attendance was disappointing but the supporters that showed up were energetic as always. Personally, I love going to games in the rain.

As for the match, Frei was outstanding when called upon but TFC was deserving of the 3 points today nonetheless. I concur with previous posts in that today's match was the most consistent 90 minutes of football I've seen this club play in quite some time. I think we are definitely starting to see Preki's effect on TFC's work ethic from all 11 players on the pitch. TFC also played a solid posession game after taking the lead which is a tactic that was sorely lacking in previous squads.

I predicted a hard fought victory and I'm thrilled with today's result. I didn't notice any glaring weaknesses in TFC's form which was a first this season. I thought it would take a few more games to display the type of cohesion that was evident in the second half.

Seattle was playing on 2 days rest so I don't want to read too much into the victory but the posession and defensive tenacity on display today was very impressive.

I think today's effort will bold well for Wednesday's match against Montreal as the Reds can go into that game with a genuine sense of confidence...

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 04:07 PM
No, no no...

:ack2::rofl:

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 04:11 PM
What I love about White's goal is that he played DEFENSE! He went after the ball and knocked it back towards the Seattle backline which sent off the chain reaction that lead to his goal.
This is going to sound...well...who cares how it sounds. This is how I play on EA's FIFA. My Forwards are the 1st line of defense and will go after the ball no matter who has it. This puts the opposition forwards in a position to make mistakes like Seattle did.
This is the aggression I was waiting to see from this club.
I will say it. If they continue to play the rest of season like they did today and STILL don't make the playoffs I will still be happy because they played to win...not to look pretty.
:scarf::flare:

Did people hear how many times White's name was announced by Nigel Reed when it came to clearing corners and set pieces?

The game against NE he made a dog's breakfast of one corner clearance, but he's improved by leaps and bounds since then.. and that was a month ago!!

It's a little unfair to the unknowns who all played huge roles today, but OBW was really a gamechanger for us.

Chevy
04-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I just got back from the game. The attendance was disappointing but the supporters that showed up were energetic as always. Personally, I love going to games in the rain.

As for the match, Frei was outstanding when called upon but TFC was deserving of the 3 points today nonetheless. I concur with previous posts in that today's match was the most consistent 90 minutes of football I've seen this club play in quite some time. I think we are definitely starting to see Preki's effect on TFC's work ethic from all 11 players on the pitch. TFC also played a solid posession game after taking the lead which is a tactic that was sorely lacking in previous squads.

I predicted a hard fought victory and I'm thrilled with today's result. I didn't notice any glaring weaknesses in TFC's form which was a first this season. I thought it would take a few more games to display the type of cohesion that was evident in the second half.

Seattle was playing on 2 days rest so I don't want to read too much into the victory but the posession and defensive tenacity on display today was very impressive.

I think today's effort will bold well for Wednesday's match against Montreal as the Reds can go into that game with a genuine sense of confidence...

How was the traffic and parking situations??

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 04:13 PM
I just saw it. There was a moment just before where you can see Zakuani's red shoes and then he's on the ground. I guess Vic must have made contact with him.
Stupid move on Z's part. He could have easily gotten carded and ended Seattle's chance to score before Frei did.
Then Z has the nerve to walk up to Vic on the gorund and motion him to get up.:mad::mad5:

Stryker
04-25-2010, 04:14 PM
For thirty seconds today we saw what posession football looked like and it was beautiful. JDG was great for the first time since he's been here. I'd play any of Gargan, Peterson or Cronin over Saric though in the future.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2010, 04:15 PM
How was the traffic and parking situations??

Traffic was brutal, parking was great...

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 04:15 PM
I just saw it. There was a moment just before where you can see Zakuani's red shoes and then he's on the ground. I guess Vic must have made contact with him.
Stupid move on Z's part. He could have easily gotten carded and ended Seattle's chance to score before Frei did.
Then Z has the nerve to walk up to Vic on the gorund and motion him to get up.:mad::mad5:

I'm sure the MLS will have that video as well...and will probably do something...I think?

Or am I being naive?

Fishnicker
04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Anyone else like unleashing the Gargan at the end? He was instrumental on the 2nd goal was was a freakin wall on the right side. Good hustle and just enough edge.

Mind you Zakuani was lighting us up on that side late in the game, but that seemed to be more Usanov's problem. Overall I was impressed with our fullbacks.

dannyd
04-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Saric is officially my hero after that butcher job on Ljungberg. TAKE THAT YOU WHINY WANKER LOL!!!!!

pekduck
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm sure the MLS will have that video as well...and will probably do something...I think?

Or am I being naive?

They have a Disciplinary Committee that reviews all games on tapes to issue additional suspensions and fines if necessary. (i.e. SJ's sub GK who gave us both fingers last season when we gave up the tying goal was later suspended and fined). They also reduce referees' game time (i.e. reduced pay) if they absolutely butchered a match.

However, what baffles me is that they never announce the supplemental disciplinary charges or post them on the website so people actually know such entity exists and are doing semi-productive things.

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Did people hear how many times White's name was announced by Nigel Reed when it came to clearing corners and set pieces?

The game against NE he made a dog's breakfast of one corner clearance, but he's improved by leaps and bounds since then.. and that was a month ago!!

It's a little unfair to the unknowns who all played huge roles today, but OBW was really a gamechanger for us.
Yeah, I know but that's why I was so thrilled by it. He has come a long way in a short time, as long as he keeps playing this way. As for the unknows...we'll always have those types and thats their roll. I played fullback in my youth and never once thought of my name in the paper for a goal or some award. I made sure the goalie never saw the ball and that I passed it up to the mid field to get it to the strikers.
We have a gritty bunch, today, and it showed up and took 3 points after 90 minutes.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
The ECS boards. Classy as always:

http://www.weareecs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6739&start=90

pekduck
04-25-2010, 04:25 PM
^
well, some moron is posting in enemy zone, he got what he asked for

Keystone FC
04-25-2010, 04:28 PM
They have a Disciplinary Committee that reviews all games on tapes to issue additional suspensions and fines if necessary. (i.e. SJ's sub GK who gave us both fingers last season when we gave up the tying goal was later suspended and fined). They also reduce referees' game time (i.e. reduced pay) if they absolutely butchered a match.

However, what baffles me is that they never announce the supplemental disciplinary charges or post them on the website so people actually know such entity exists and are doing semi-productive things.

I don't know about refs but as for players I do see from time to time in back page of the newspapers Sports Transactions MLS player fines announced. Usually it's something like $250 for a improper gesture to the crowd which looks down right childish when it's next to a $250,000 fine for a NBA, NFL, or MLB player for the same thing.

pekduck
04-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't know about refs but as for players I do see from time to time in back page of the newspapers Sports Transactions MLS player fines announced. Usually it's something like $250 for a improper gesture to the crowd which looks down right childish when it's next to a $250,000 fine for a NBA, NFL, or MLB player for the same thing.

unless it's on the InterWebs, angry supporters from the league won't know it existed :D

Carts
04-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Anyone else like unleashing the Gargan at the end? He was instrumental on the 2nd goal was was a freakin wall on the right side. Good hustle and just enough edge.

Mind you Zakuani was lighting us up on that side late in the game, but that seemed to be more Usanov's problem. Overall I was impressed with our fullbacks.

From lower 109 I had a great view of the Zakuani / Usanov matchup...

Zakuani is dangerous, very dangerous - but Usanov busted his ass and ran himself to exhaustion doing so - doing his best to keep him contained...

Funny note, after the 2nd goal, Usanov was too bagged, or too smart to waste energy, running to the celebration - he just turned to us in 109 and went nuts all by himself for 45-seconds...

It was pretty cool actually having him celebrate with us... LOL

Carts...

T.O TILL I DIE
04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
holyy crap one of the best performances by TFC

Kilgore Trout
04-25-2010, 04:41 PM
attendance: 18,364

Not great, pretty sure that's the lowest yet, but not disastrous everything considered and I'm pretty sure things should pick up.

ensco
04-25-2010, 04:41 PM
OK we were a bit lucky there, but we bossed them around the last 30 minutes. This sums up my view...

You wouldn't believe where I've been,
The cities and towns I been in,
from Boston to Denver
and every town in between.

The people they all look the same,
only the names have been changed.
But now that I'm home again
I'll tell you what I believe:

It's a Miracle
a true red spectacle,a miracle come true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OULy36MwjU

T.O TILL I DIE
04-25-2010, 04:44 PM
lol 2 games garcia hasnt played we won both :D

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 04:44 PM
^
well, some moron is posting in enemy zone, he got what he asked for

True, but they came into the game thinking they're going to walk all over us and got their just desserts.

Carts
04-25-2010, 04:46 PM
lol 2 games garcia hasnt played we won both :D

There's some stats in life you just can't argue with... :D

Carts...

Jeffro
I thought this was a post game thread!

Preki couldn't coach my kids under 10 team!
We should hang Garcia!
Why would we sign that Latvian? Can't even pronounce his name!
De Guzman is way worse than I thought!
We're way worse than we were first season!

Oh, we won you say? We're going to win the cup!!!!

Lucky Strike
Shameless self-promoting: player ratings are up.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=996274#post996274

Carts
04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
attendance: 18,364

Not great, pretty sure that's the lowest yet, but not disastrous everything considered and I'm pretty sure things should pick up.

On a rainy, cold, Sunday afternoon, after losing 2-straight and hearing nothing other than negative press - 18,364 is EXCELLENT...

Carts...

CretanBull
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
We played a good game in the second half, but lets not get ahead of ourselves...we were playing against a team where half the starting XI was tired and the other half was new to the starting XI. Had we played a rested Seatle against their prefered starters the game would have been over in the first half.

profit89
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
JDG was a monster today. Man of the Match.

Jeffro
04-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Good display today. Preki's game plan starting to come together now. We actually showed some width and some nice short passing.

rocker
04-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Was Gargan the guy who made the beautiful pass to Dero on the second goal?

Serb_Star
04-25-2010, 04:52 PM
We were pretty bad until DeRo scored than everything changed around and we played real football for the first time this season.

I love Gargan and Frei is the man.

Jeffro
04-25-2010, 04:53 PM
The bottle thrown at Freddy was from the west stand, not the south. Shame really, since we had him off his game anyways, getting into it with the fans before his corners... No need for throwing shit.

CretanBull
04-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Good display today. Preki's game plan starting to come together now. We actually showed some width and some nice short passing.

Finally! This was the best part of our game, and it allowed JDG to play the type of game that he likes to play.

Beach_Red
04-25-2010, 04:54 PM
We played a good game in the second half, but lets not get ahead of ourselves...we were playing against a team where half the starting XI was tired and the other half was new to the starting XI. Had we played a rested Seatle against their prefered starters the game would have been over in the first half.

True, we don't want to get carried away - in either direction.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Exactly -- this is a good START. For any momentum to build, we must have something like this carry on. A one-off performance does jack.

rocker
04-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I do agree in not getting carried away, however I don't like qualifying every game... "ohh, this player didn't play so we should be thankful" or "the other team was tired." Why? Because when we lose, nobody ever gives us the benefit of that kind of doubt, ya know? Yes, Seattle was tired, but TFC has had many road games where they'd played shortly before, and TFC lose, and everyone lays into TFC as if there were no excuses. Seattle gets the "tired" excuse, yes, but TFC got the 3 points.. that's all that matters.

Bloor West FC
04-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Everybody played well today very happy to see a real team starting to play together. A couple holes in our defence but hey when you have Super Stephan Frei nothing gets by :)!!!

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Funny note, after the 2nd goal, Usanov was too bagged, or too smart to waste energy, running to the celebration - he just turned to us in 109 and went nuts all by himself for 45-seconds...

It was pretty cool actually having him celebrate with us... LOL
Oh man, that sounds great!

Please, anyone who has a vid of that post it.

TFC Cityboy
04-25-2010, 05:05 PM
There were times, especially in the 2nd, when we the passing from side to side was a beautiful thing. In the wind, we passed it along the ground, players were moving into space, working for eachother. The backline was faultless. Nana was immense, Frei unbeatable and the rest very steady. JDG in a wider right side role was an inspiration while Chad OBW and DeRo were always dangerous.

That was great football, lads...from back to front. Excellent. More please.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2010, 05:05 PM
I do agree in not getting carried away, however I don't like qualifying every game... "ohh, this player didn't play so we should be thankful" or "the other team was tired." Why? Because when we lose, nobody ever gives us the benefit of that kind of doubt, ya know? Yes, Seattle was tired, but TFC has had many road games where they'd played shortly before, and TFC lose, and everyone lays into TFC as if there were no excuses. Seattle gets the "tired" excuse, yes, but TFC got the 3 points.. that's all that matters.

Agreed. Let's just take this for what it was...TFC's best performance to date under Preki's guidance, JDG finally playing to his potential, and another step in the right direction overall.

rocker
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
by the way, is Peter Vagenas's last name pronounced VAY-ANUS or VAGINAS? ahahha

poppamidnight
04-25-2010, 05:11 PM
My top 5 observations"

1 - OBW... Good ball control set ups, but i didn't see him win 1 battle in the air... With his body, he should be takin' em.... Maybe it's just us having the pleasure of watching Dichio win those battle's, but he really needs to work on this...

2 - Broccoli (my name for that clown)+ Saric - WTF are these guys doing? Saric is completely useless (Should be parked next to Garcia), and Broccoli is so damn frustrating! Remember the chat about JDG getting visibly angry at his own teammates on the field?... At least 3/4 of the time it's Broccoli F'n things up

3 - JDG - wow... What control. People say he's our defensive MF, but I can't help notice the chances he generates at the top of the box... I want to see him push up a little more often

4 - Usanov + Hsanovics early cards - ......... it's just gotta stop

5 - Gala - In what little we saw of him, he looked great... I honestly want to see him started over Saric... I see a Nana-esque Canadian development in the future here!

oh and 5.5 - Barrett..... Honestly Vitti was expensive but these 2 are one of the same... Enough is enough. Hustle is one thing, but it's time to cut the cord here... I dislike the guy even more each and every time he throws a temper tantrum on a non-call or on one of his dives... It's just not classy

TERSIGNI
04-25-2010, 05:12 PM
is it possible players are simply getting to know each other better? Time will do tht. Still, we were pretty brutal on thru balls as we can't seem to communicate that strategy well. Every time we try one the receiving player is standing still. Do they need special signals or something/?

stuart.mac
04-25-2010, 05:14 PM
There were times, especially in the 2nd, when we the passing from side to side was a beautiful thing. In the wind, we passed it along the ground, players were moving into space, working for eachother. The backline was faultless. Nana was immense, Frei unbeatable and the rest very steady. JDG in a wider right side role was an inspiration while Chad OBW and DeRo were always dangerous.

That was great football, lads...from back to front. Excellent. More please.

aye I saw that aswell, great stuff. After the first goal we had all the chances and when you TFC had nothing to play down the right wing, the ball was crossed to the left back who could try something down the opposite wing. That is how you create chances and that is how you get goals.

Different team today, great stuff. and de-ro AGAIN nets a fantastic goal, however both goals were amazing (atleast from my point of view, right behind the net)

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
by the way, is Peter Vagenas's last name pronounced VAY-ANUS or VAGINAS? ahahha

I'm pretty sure it's Va-Gen-Ass.

- Scott

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Saric is completely useless

4 - Usanov + Hsanovics early cards - ......... it's just gotta stop
Saric was far from useless in today's game, that should be plain to see to anyone. Was great as a pest/enforcer.

And Usanov's card was BS, everyone but the refs knows it was a clean tackle. They should be getting props for their strong game.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I actually agree with the MLS article...this game was more about Seattle giving 2 goals away rather than TFC winning them on merit. If Seattle wasn't coming off a game 3 days ago 1000 miles away, I am not sure we get 3 points.

That being said, on top of the very welcome 3 points there were some positives to take from the game. DeRo aside (it's almost par for the course that he will be our best player on the pitch) we finally saw some impressive activity from JDG, our defensive core looked organized and Frei was the man today. Stood up a good 2 or 3 times on point blank shots.

Negatives? Saric is a thug. Ship him out. Also, we still don't have any creativity in midfield. Gawd did we really need Guevara in there. And I am thankful Obie scored but that was giftwrapped by DeRo. He needs to start creating chances himself or we are going to see too few goals from him this year.

poppamidnight
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Saric was far from useless in today's game, that should be plain to see to anyone. Was great as a pest/enforcer.

WTF Don Cherry.... Wrong sport to be giving thumbs up for such conduct:facepalm:

*HNIC anthem starts*

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm a little torn on Saric - I kind of like the fact that he's a bit of a wild man and sets the tone by fearlessly going after guys. At the same time, he often takes it to a point where he could be easily sent off, which doesn't help us at all.

If he can control himself a little more, I think he has a valuable role on our team.

- Scott

Carts
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Oh man, that sounds great!

Please, anyone who has a vid of that post it.

It was priceless - I was too busy going apeshit with him to record anything...

Carts...

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm a little torn on Saric - I kind of like the fact that he's a bit of a wild man and sets the tone by fearlessly going after guys. At the same time, he often takes it to a point where he could be easily sent off, which doesn't help us at all.

If he can control himself a little more, I think he has a valuable role on our team.

- Scott

Agreed. I think he might ideally be suited to come on as a late defensive sub if TFC is protecting a lead...

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Excuse me, I said 3 days. Seattle actually played TWO days ago.

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
I actually agree with the MLS article...this game was more about Seattle giving 2 goals away rather than TFC winning them on merit. If Seattle wasn't coming off a game 3 days ago 1000 miles away, I am not sure we get 3 points.

That being said, on top of the very welcome 3 points there were some positives to take from the game. DeRo aside (it's almost par for the course that he will be our best player on the pitch) we finally saw some impressive activity from JDG, our defensive core looked organized and Frei was the man today. Stood up a good 2 or 3 times on point blank shots.

Negatives? Saric is a thug. Ship him out. Also, we still don't have any creativity in midfield. Gawd did we really need Guevara in there. And I am thankful Obie scored but that was giftwrapped by DeRo. He needs to start creating chances himself or we are going to see too few goals from him this year.

I think you're over-minimizing the goals. Goals in this league are primarily scored from defensive errors, and taking your chances well. We forced them into errors, and then took our chances well. Alonso and Marshall could have done better on the giveaways that led to both goals, but you could say "___ should have done better" for most of the goals we give up too.

And while DeRo's awesome pass gave OBW the chance to score, it was still a cool, great finish from Obie Wan.

Also, if we are going to give Seattle somewhat of a pass for playing on Thursday, then we should have done the same for our guys last weekend, after playing Philly three days earlier.

- Scott

Serb_Star
04-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Saric is hot and cold, he does some dumb shit but than makes up for it later. I can see him getting sent off a couple of times though.

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
WTF Don Cherry.... Wrong sport to be giving thumbs up for such conduct:facepalm:

*HNIC anthem starts*
Useless post, much like your player analysis.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I think you're over-minimizing the goals. Goals in this league are primarily scored from defensive errors, and taking your chances well. We forced them into errors, and then took our chances well. Alonso and Marshall could have done better on the giveaways that led to both goals, but you could say "___ should have done better" for most of the goals we give up too.

And while DeRo's awesome pass gave OBW the chance to score, it was still a cool, great finish from Obie Wan.

Also, if we are going to give Seattle somewhat of a pass for playing on Thursday, then we should have done the same for our guys last weekend, after playing Philly three days earlier.

- Scott

Most goals in most leagues are scored from defensive errors. At some point, the ball is given away and an opportunity presents itself.

But both goals were scored from significant breakdowns by Seattle. Alonso and Marshall should be given "assists" for the TFC goals. What should be of concern to us is that we are still not creating opportunities, but thankfully did capitalize on the opportunities that did present themselves. And if Frei didn't stand up 3 times, we'd probably be looking at a draw or maybe worse.

All I am saying is let's not start counting our chickens until they've hatched. This is the sort of game that MLSE can use as an excuse and Mo uses as a breather when in fact, I think it doesn't help prove this team's competence much at all. I am looking forward to the reverse back in Seattle when they haven't played 2 nights before. They are playing 2 road games, we played one road game with an extra day in between compared to Seattle. Apples to oranges Scott.

Whoop
04-25-2010, 05:40 PM

- Scott

They're pros... it shouldn't be an excuse either way.

At least they weren't play at altitude. LOL And it was 3 nights ago, not 2. LOL

Shakes McQueen
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
They're pros... it shouldn't be an excuse either way.

At least they weren't play at altitude. LOL And it was 3 nights ago, not 2. LOL

This was basically what I was getting at. Lots of teams play on three days rest, and get the job done. No excuses.

And to compound things, Seattle actually looked worse after they subbed in fresh legs, in my opinion.

- Scott

phonzo
04-25-2010, 05:43 PM
..not saying much but I wouldn't say we destroyed Seattle. We played good footie for once / finally.

Whoop
04-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Just maintain an even keel...

ilikemusic
04-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Seattle was taking it to us right up until DeRo got the goal. It changed the momentum, but up until that point, Seattle was controlling the play.

It can be argued the goal was 'gifted' to us through the bad giveaway, but I would disagree with that assessment. Like two seconds previous to DeRo's goal, Barrett sent a potentially dangerous pass into the area that hit the ref square in the back. I felt there was something developing and the ref got in the way. I saw it as justice that DeRo got the turnover right after and buried his chance. Turnovers are often created, not just received.

The second goal was a bit of a break down by Seattle, but thats the kind of fast break counter and succinct finish that never goes in for us. Like how TFC couldnt convert a penalty (until DeRo), this team could never convert on those fast counter attacks. If they manage to link up on the lead pass, the finisher will either miss the ball, or sky it over the net.

The goals were nice, and they were deserved; but I still wasnt happy with the performance. If we are playing a team on 3 days rest, at home, we should roll them 4-0 and our Keeper shouldnt have a single highlight. We certainly didnt destroy them. Im sure the title is tongue in cheek.

JuliquE
04-25-2010, 05:52 PM

First para is just one big excuse that wouldn't ever be tolerated here, were the table turned.

This is not the FIRST time we're seeing some strong and impressive play from JDG; he's lacked a bit of consistency with regard to being disciplined and avoiding silly errors, but he always seems to put in a shift (see Preki's post-game comments on the subject of JDG).

Saric is a wild orangutan, but it's a bit hasty to look at shipping him out. As has been said, he might do best to control himself a bit, is all. OBW has done well to earn that penalty for DeRo, so it's a bit harsh to come down on him for not creating more. It was long thought that this would be the season where we would start to see him really shine and, to be fair, we're only four games in.. with him already beginning his tally of goals on the season.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Saric - WTF are these guys doing? Saric is completely useless (Should be parked next to Garcia)

Seriously people, chill on Saric for a second. Sure, he's done a few stupid idiotic challenges here and there -- but would Seattle have been unsettled if he just asked them, "Oh dear, would you please kindly come join me for tea instead of pursuing that run?" instead of running into them and showing them who's boss?

Come now!

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Seriously people, chill on Saric for a second. Sure, he's done a few stupid idiotic challenges here and there -- but would Seattle have been unsettled if he just asked them, "Oh dear, would you please kindly come join me for tea instead of pursuing that run?" instead of running into them and showing them who's boss?

Come now!

Sorry bro...this is pretty weak.

Being a competent and feared defensive midfielder has nothing to do with being a hack and a thug.

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Nothing weak about it. He's absolutely correct.

BeerBaron95
04-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Observation

2 Home Matches this year = 2 Missiles from the South East Corner

Tsk Tsk, when will you learn!

mean the south west no?

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 06:17 PM

Being a competent and feared defensive midfielder has nothing to do with being a hack and a thug.

Sometimes a push or a tug is all you need to send a message. Saric is not going to be world class overnight, but what he's done so far isn't bad.

I'm just saying...stop piling on the poor guy!

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Nothing weak about it. He's absolutely correct.

Nope...can't agree. If the game was being reffed by anyone half competent, Saric would have been gone in the first half and we would not have been able to put the pressure on Seattle in the 2nd half that we did because Preki would have had to adopt a defensive posture. Just because we had a blind bat in red today doesn't mean what Saric did won't eventually have to be paid for.

For some reason, people equate thuggery to strong defensive capabilities. True champions don't have muggers in the midfield. Saric is a hack and needs to sit on the bench.

Beach_Red
04-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Nope...can't agree. If the game was being reffed by anyone half competent, Saric would have been gone in the first half and we would not have been able to put the pressure on Seattle in the 2nd half that we did because Preki would have had to adopt a defensive posture. Just because we had a blind bat in red today doesn't mean what Saric did won't eventually have to be paid for.

For some reason, people equate thuggery to strong defensive capabilities. True champions don't have muggers in the midfield. Saric is a hack and needs to sit on the bench.

Wow, the last few weeks really have put us in a bad mood. Just when Garcia stops playing we find someone else to moan about as soon as the game ends - even if it ends in a win.

How many games have we sat through when someone would have received that pass from DeRo and put it twenty rows up over the net or straight into the goalie's stomach or maybe, maybe hit the crossbar? And now we're saying the goal only happened because Seattle (Tyrone Marshall, by the way) gave the ball away.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Wow, the last few weeks really have put us in a bad mood. Just when Garcia stops playing we find someone else to moan about as soon as the game ends - even if it ends in a win.

How many games have we sat through when someone would have received that pass from DeRo and put it twenty rows up over the net or straight into the goalie's stomach or maybe, maybe hit the crossbar? And now we're saying the goal only happened because Seattle (Tyrone Marshall, by the way) gave the ball away.

The arguments for / against Saric are valid. If he got two yellows today with 20'+ left, more people would be railing against him. He got referee leniency today, but who's to say what will happen with him in the Canadian Championship, in the playoff stretch, in the playoffs...

its a team sport, so all it takes is for one person to fuck it up for everyone else.

Exhibit A:
http://www.insidesocal.com/soccer/buddle.jpg

andyc
04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Let's enjoy this and not look for reasons why we got a lucky win....

We're far from playing perfect football but we did pass the ball well for prolonged periods today. We also continued to push forward with a lead in the last 10 minutes. TFC showed structure and organization through most of the game and we scored 2 goals!

It was a much improved performance - let's enjoy the evening!

denime
04-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I think we should close this site for 24hrs after every game,win or lost.
Doesn't matter how we do, Bitching never stops on this site.

PATHETIC simply PATHETIC

denime
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Let's enjoy this and not look for reasons why we got a lucky win....

We're far from playing perfect football but we did pass the ball well for prolonged periods today. We also continued to push forward with a lead in the last 10 minutes. TFC showed structure and organization through most of the game and we scored 2 goals!

It was a much improved performance - let's enjoy the evening!
I don't know what game you watched,maybe someone gave you dvd of Boston game few week ago.Lucky win :facepalm:

Jeffro
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM

PATHETIC simply PATHETIC

Yes totally, it's really tiring.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM

PATHETIC simply PATHETIC

QFT!

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM

PATHETIC simply PATHETIC

Can't argue with that. Let people have some cool-down/hang-over time before discussions can truly begin.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM

PATHETIC simply PATHETIC

Dennis, I didn't know that post-game threads weren't for discussing the pros and cons and only being cheery after a win and only being negative after a loss.

You can be positive after a loss if there were positives to take from the game. And you can be negative about a win if you feel it came about in a lucky fashion. These threads are to discuss the merits of the game are they not?

Is this or is this not the same team we were discussing yesterday? If so, how can a fan change his tune 180 degrees?

I agree that the threads should not deteriorate into a bitchfest after a loss, but just the same I don't agree that these threads should become a fellating lovefest after a win.

I am thankful for the 3 points but I have not deluded myself into believing this team has become anything better than what I thought they were yesterday. My post highlighted the positives and pointed out the negatives. Is that not the definition of balanced?

I actually have a bigger problem with the delirious happiness after a win and in my opinion, not a very impressive one. It's that kind of delusion that keeps Mo in his job. As someone who saw the game on TV from the general point of view and not from my seats in the south-end, I think I can provide a point of view that many people don't have yet because they haven't rewatched the game yet.

andyc
04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't know what game you watched,maybe someone gave you dvd of Boston game few week ago.Lucky win :facepalm:

If you look at what I said I was being positive... The word "NOT" in the sentence generally changes the intent... I thought that this was a great game - one of the best I've seen TFC play...

Not sure how I got up your nose with my comment...

shaggingscot
04-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Dennis, I didn't know that post-game threads weren't for discussing the pros and cons and only being cheery after a win and only being negative after a loss.

You can be positive after a loss if there were positives to take from the game. And you can be negative about a win if you feel it came about in a lucky fashion. These threads are to discuss the merits of the game are they not?

Is this or is this not the same team we were discussing yesterday? If so, how can a fan change his tune 180 degrees?

I agree that the threads should not deteriorate into a bitchfest after a loss, but just the same I don't agree that these threads should become a fellating lovefest after a win.

I am thankful for the 3 points but I have not deluded myself into believing this team has become anything better than what I thought they were yesterday. My post highlighted the positives and pointed out the negatives. Is that not the definition of balanced?

I actually have a bigger problem with the delirious happiness after a win and in my opinion, not a very impressive one. It's that kind of delusion that keeps Mo in his job. As someone who saw the game on TV from the general point of view and not from my seats in the south-end, I think I can provide a point of view that many people don't have yet because they haven't rewatched the game yet.

Well said, it's possible to win ugly and that's just what happened today.

Room for improvement!

MUFC_Niagara
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't think anyone can debate that both our goals came off 2 errors. First the defender gave the ball to DeRo, then Marshall had the first touch of a rapist that lead to the 2nd goal. THAT SAID, we haven't seen this TFC team hold the ball and build possession like they did today. For that, I think their goals were earned. We took our chances....something we haven't always done. When you keep the ball and pressure people when you don't have it then you are going to get chances.....and we did. THis was not a lucky win, TFC played well today and were full value for the 2-0 win. I've been saying we're shit all week, but i'll give them credit when it's due.

Seattle had their chances but I think our back 4 looked fairly organized. We aren't going to play 90 ins and not give up some chances....that's why you want a great keeper.

Darlofletch
04-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Very happy with three points, definitely still a work in progress though. We looked fairly solid in the first half, without ever looking all that dangerous. second half saw some nice passing and we scored twice, so really can't complain.

three great saves from frei when we needed him, de ro continues to be awesome, somebody other tha de ro actually scored, de guzman put in another good game, though I'm not convinced by him as a right winger, rather have him as dm instead of saric and cronin or gargan out on the wing.

all in all very nice.

on the negative side, the bottle thrower is an idiot, and I really hated to see the refs wearing red at bmo.

and a big well done to the nee's banner people.

loconet
04-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Echos my sentiments as well. I saw some great display on the 2nd half but for the most part to be honest, I think we have a very long way to go.

Pachuco
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
A bit hard nose, but you know he doesn't mess around.
Finally, someone other than DeRo scores. Yay!!
Something to build on in this game.
Hopefully the second half was not an aberration.

Saric is quite possibly the worst player I have seen put on a red shirt. He's absolutely fucking useless and Preki is a fucking moron for playing him, specially when he looks just about ready to get himself kicked off the field. Now that I've gotten that off my chest...

* Dero you are king!
* Deguzman, you should keep jumping out of the way of free kicks. You took a beating this week from the supporters and the media. And holy SHIT did you ever respond. Best game BY FAR as a Red. It was the Deguzman show for quite some time there.
* Frei was the difference in my opinion. They had solid chances to put the ball on the net, as many as we did if not more. Frei was better then Keller on this day and that got us the 3 points.
* Gargan came on ready to play, really liked the solid minutes he put in.
* Hascanovic was a mixed bag, brutal at times and great at others.
* I call Usanov usa-useless. No idea why this guy gets playing time over Cronin or even Gargan.
* Cann - I'm still waiting for him to have a bad game. This guy is ROCK SOLID.
* Nana is Nana, good consistent outing as usual.
* OBW - had a pretty bad game, but he scored so what the heck. He's a striker so I'm just happy he put the ball in the net.
* Barret was just ok actually. He had a better game last game.

Don't know if I'm forgetting anyone. In general though that's definately the best we've played this year. NO WAY in hell that's the best we've every played at BMO. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-25-2010, 07:08 PM

PATHETIC simply PATHETIC

ive been saying this for a while (except with regards to hysteria, although bitching is a close close second, if not an equal partner)

Ossington Mental Youth
04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I think we have a very long way to go.

of course, anyone that says otherwise is foolish and delusional, that being said we are on the right track (theres still a ton of work), all things are not lost as many people thought 2 days ago

Stryker
04-25-2010, 07:19 PM
The weakest links today were a reckless Saric and Preki for not taking him off.
Saric is now the teams second biggest problem. Garcia clearly being the first.

Oh and for what its worth... even though he was solid today, Attakora has not been as good this season as he was last.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 07:22 PM
The weakest links today were a reckless Saric and Preki for not taking him off.
Saric is now the teams second biggest problem. Garcia clearly being the first.

Oh and for what its worth... even though he was solid today, Attakora has not been as good this season as he was last.

I'd have to agree with this. He's pulled a couple of "Wynne"s on us recently. That being said, I don't doubt his development will continue to improve.

denime
04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
PREKI press conference TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1832)

Whoop
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
It's a long season... maintain an even keel. LOL

Nuvinho
04-25-2010, 07:32 PM
holy crap.......we beat seattle....i'm so suprised!!

Fushida
04-25-2010, 07:33 PM
PREKI press conference TFC TV (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1832)

MUST watch. He has some nice words about Ljungberg LOL

In all honestly though, I had this recorded on PVR because of work but I was listening to 680 News making sure we didn't get steamrolled 4-0. This win seems to have came from nowhere, and having just watched the game, it was a much better performance overall. Saric is still a ticking time bomb and still can't pass, but at least he calmed down a bit in the second half and we played well.

And Preki seems to be a really good coach. His subs were great today... I didn't expect Gargan to have the impact that he did after coming on... so even that seemed like a good choice.

Bombonera
04-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Interesting..First time I catually saw the boys moving in both directions holding the 4-4-2...

Pretty lost as to who the ball should be passed to sometimes, but generally organized.

To god's and Frei (no way you can blame the rain when you are playing against seattle..) cooperated, but ther does seem to be progress.

Let's consider giving Preki some credit.

superstar1976
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Julian had his best game as a Red I thought. Great passing and vision, he was a force in the midfield winning balls, and making the opposition guess the wrong way often. I though his skill really showed on a number of occasions today too. All in all, his best game I thought, and looked very much in Charge.

Ljunberg though, is such a panzie. He was useless today and falling all over the place. Embarrassed though that some clown thought it was funny to throw a bottle at him.

grizzle
04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Best game we have played this season. /thread

Roca
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
^Totally agree!

James17930
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Figures the internet stream cut out at half-time and I missed what everyone is saying was the best play from TFC in years :(

mastermixer
04-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Anyone see OB White get a pie thrown in his face during the CBC post game. I think it was Gargan that threw it...

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, we played great.

But will this be sustained? Montreal at home on Wednesday? RSL in Utah on Saturday?

Chevy
04-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Anyone see OB White get a pie thrown in his face during the CBC post game. I think it was Gargan that threw it...

Somewhere, in a small apartment, on a quiet street in a far far away land, Colin Samuel weeps. :(

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Nope...can't agree.
I respect you, but I respectfully disagree. :scarf:

canadian_bhoy
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Frei is easily the man of the match. His great save at 0-0 was the TSN turning point. We go back down, score...game on TFC.

The 2nd goal was probably the best run-of-play TFC goal I've ever seen the team score. Great stuff.

Also loving the new harder tackles we're seeing on the grass. Lots of good hard challenges on the ground.

Bonus Round: The Bingo Derosario song is great. Best new song we've had for a while.

Blixa
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Frei is Premiership material. It's as simple as that.

Bombonera
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah, we played great.

But will this be sustained? Montreal at home on Wednesday? RSL in Utah on Saturday?
BIg time question. in past season's, the boy's have not showed up.

But the 3 day rest excuse is a joke... THey can and should

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 08:50 PM
BIg time question. in past season's, the boy's have not showed up.

But the 3 day rest excuse is a joke... THey can and should

yeah... its not like seattle looked bad after three days rest...
:rolleyes:

Gixmo
04-25-2010, 08:53 PM
mean the south west no?

Yes, SOUTH WEST.. bad boys, My geography sucks!

GabrielHurl
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM

I know we had a win and all today - but jeez .......... hold the phone

Gixmo
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
LOL @ ECS.. They think the guy talking shit on their board is Parky...Say what?

What a bunch of babies - They go 10x as mental as we do come a loss.. Wow, seek help!

Some kid wants to kill someone? Geez!!

You watch.

Torontotonto
04-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Hey Roogsy,
I'm just going to savour the 3 points today.
Great 2nd half, the boys played well.
No Comment today, just happy for the 3

:scarf::drum::flare::drum::scarf:

Fushida
04-25-2010, 09:03 PM

Lol... not yet. His saves today may have gotten us 3 points, but they weren't exactly amazing finishes either. If he ends up in the Premier League now, he'd probably be occupying a role similar to that of Guzan... riding the bench until a #1 gets hurt.

koryo
04-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Very good tackling today. Saric should never have been given that first yellow (the other guy fell over him), Usanov went in on a 50/50.

First half: unspectacular.

Second half: from the 70th to about the 78th minute we played some very attractive football. I was stunned to be honest. Haven't seen that from TFC in a long time.

Both goals were very well taken, Frei was huge for us today.

Seattle didn't lose this game, I feel we fully earned it.

Edit: and I have to hand it to NEE, their Making Losing Seem Easy banner was fantastic. Well done.

Razcle
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
WHAT was the attendance over there today? Looked a little light.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Very good tackling today. Saric should never have been given that first yellow (the other guy fell over him), Usanov went in on a 50/50.

First half: unspectacular.

Second half: from the 70th to about the 78th minute we played some very attractive football. I was stunned to be honest. Haven't seen that from TFC in a long time.

Both goals were very well taken, Frei was huge for us today.

Seattle didn't lose this game, I feel we fully earned it.

The game could have easily ended up being double zeroes or a 1-1 draw...but we did it.

Let them savour it tonight -- for tomorrow, we focus squarely on Montreal.

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
For all those upset about Husqvarna and Usanov on D....remember who's NOT playing.

Cashcleaner
04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I guess I'm just echoning everyone else's thoughts about the game today. 1st half was very ho-hum. We weren't playing dire football by any means, but it was certainly nothing to write home about either. Obviously, Preki must have said or done something at halftime because the team played one of their best halves after that. Frei looked a lot more confident coming into this match than ever before, and I think that really helped not only his game, but the defence as a whole (though to be honest, we could have stood be a lot tighter at the back) . And obviously DeRo did what he does best - taking charge and leading by example.

Good win. Not much more to say, really.

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM
WHAT was the attendance over there today? Looked a little light.

Announced 18k and change... could have been 14-15 that actually made it in.

Nuvinho
04-25-2010, 09:24 PM
still can't believe we won 2-0......

We are a TOUGH team to play against, we'll lead the league in fouls and cards for sure.....but teams won't like playing against us.

GuelphStorm2007
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
A decent effort today there were some dicey moments, but the guys held there own. my only complaint is that they have problems keeping the ball when they have possesion.

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
For all those upset about Husqvarna and Usanov on D....remember who's NOT playing.

Husqvarna?! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Jebus people, settle on ONE name for the man, Not six zillion!

twistedchinaman
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM

We are a TOUGH team to play against, we'll lead the league in fouls and cards for sure.....but teams won't like playing against us.

...and that, ladies and gentlemen, cannot be a bad thing.

...Right?

Oldtimer
04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
I think we're getting glimpses of what Preki is trying to do with the team, and I like it.

When Preki dumped most of the squad, it seemed insane. I'm still not sure it was the best idea. And a big double-zero to MoJo for failing to bring in replacements until after the season had started, as usual. However, Preki is getting the squad to play his style, they are playing better, and I agree with those who say that the second half had the best football that TFC has ever played. The whole chain of passes leading up to that second goal was nothing but beautiful, and of a quality that you very rarely see in MLS.

Preki did indeed of some tactics in this match in having the defense play high un to catch Ljuneberg offside.

Those who say that the goals were due to "defensive errors," well defensive errors are common enough in MLS. It's not like any team has a Serie A backline. It's a good offense that takes advantage of those errors when they come.

SO Preki gets a "wait and see." And MoJo gets a big fat zero. And the boys in Red/White live to play another day. And the fans now have some hope.

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Husqvarna?!

Jebus people, settle on ONE name for the man, Not six zillion!

I just did :p

Whoop
04-25-2010, 09:36 PM

Husqvarna? LOL

http://www.wjtaylor.co.uk/husqtrac.jpg

Kevvv
04-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Funny, I always associate it with:

http://www.portable-electric-power-generators.com/images/powertools/husqvarna/HUS_3120xp_lg.jpg

Detroit_TFC
04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Speaking of Mr. Unpronounceable, overall his game was much better. I think he is starting to figure it out.

Nice to see a full effort from JDG, it made a big difference.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
When Preki dumped most of the squad, it seemed insane. I'm still not sure it was the best idea. And a big double-zero to MoJo for failing to bring in replacements until after the season had started, as usual. However, Preki is getting the squad to play his style, they are playing better

yes and it will continue to get better

scooterTFC
04-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm tired of all the Saric bashing. He's a hard tackling defensive mid. The Arsene Wegner, 'beautiful game' snobs, on here, claiming hard tackling has no place in the game need to think about the reality of this league's salary cap.

Saric is a decent ball winner, who is lacks passing touch. He is what he is. He's not a terrible player, he just plays an ugly role for us. I'm not advocating dangerous tackles intended to injure, nobody should accept that. Fair, hard slide tackles are part of the game. Saric is trying to play that game for us. Guys go down on fair tackles, some easier than others.

His timing is off occasionally, and he should get whistled. Claims that he is intentionally going in cleats up and two legging guys are garbage. Watch the game footage again. I agree that he is headed for a red card if he doesn’t get his timing down better. Most teams in this league start a player like Saric, and these guys usually do collect a red card over the course of the year.

Why isn’t Cronin starting over Saric? Cronin plays a prettier game but he can’t clog up the midfield and win the ball like Saric.

JDG
04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Sounder blogger's view of the game:

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2010/4/25/1443772/quick-review-sounders-lose-to

jloome
04-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm tired of all the Saric bashing. He's a hard tackling defensive mid. The Arsene Wegner, 'beautiful game' snobs, on here, claiming hard tackling has no place in the game need to think about the reality of this league's salary cap.

Saric is a decent ball winner, who is lacks passing touch. He is what he is. He's not a terrible player, he just plays an ugly role for us. I'm not advocating dangerous tackles intended to injure, nobody should accept that. Fair, hard slide tackles are part of the game. Saric is trying to play that game for us. Guys go down on fair tackles, some easier than others.

His timing is off occasionally, and he should get whistled. Claims that he is intentionally going in cleats up and two legging guys are garbage. Watch the game footage again. I agree that he is headed for a red card if he doesn’t get his timing down better. Most teams in this league start a player like Saric, and these guys usually do collect a red card over the course of the year.

Why isn’t Cronin starting over Saric? Cronin plays a prettier game but he can’t clog up the midfield and win the ball like Saric.

No, I think you should go back and watch the game footage again. It's like the guy can't tackle cleanly. If you can't see that his second foot is raised and his studs are up on that first tackle, you're not watching. That's illegal, even if you get the ball first, and will sometimes get you a red, let alone a yellow.

And he absolutely mugged that guy on the touchline.

Hard-tackling is fine, but he's a goon.

sashavukelich
04-25-2010, 10:04 PM

I think you make an interesting point, and anyone who has looked at Preki's former team (chivas) could easily spot that Paulo Nagamura and our M. Saric are of the same mould of character. Tough Tackling, ball distributing engines. They are 'destroyers' and ball winners.

look at....(this guys are obviously in another class)

1) D. Fletcher
2) Roy Keane
3) Viera
4) Gattuso
5) N. Kovac (Croatian captain for years).

I was surprised Cronin didn't replace Saric today after the yellow, i'm glad he cooled down and didn't get sent off. Cronin did really well when he came on though, i'd like to see him start once in the middle, it'll be interesting.

Whoop
04-25-2010, 10:06 PM
That was the best Seattle played? Then I'm a little happier with the result.

Freddie Ljungberg – Sounders FC Forward/Midfielder
(On the match . . .) “I think this was the best we played all year. We played amazing, especially the first half. Like we said in here, we all played very, very well. Sometimes unfortunately you make mistakes and we did two personal mistakes. It happens to everybody but it killed the game for us and that’s how they won the game. When you give up mistakes like that you get punished.”

(On rotating line . . .) “It’s of course strange and a new experience for my career but I can talk about today and I think we played amazingly well. We played a good passing game and we got criticized a little bit by fans at home and in general that we weren’t playing that well. But today I was impressed by the guys and how we played and all the credit for that and that’s why it’s so hard to take why we didn’t get all the points.”

canadian_bhoy
04-25-2010, 10:10 PM

Definitely need to keep things in perspective.

Both TFC goals were the result of brutal Seattle give-aways and they were assured a goal had it not been for the stellar performance by Frei.

Having said that, our passing, team work and tackling were better than they've been all season and were very positive. Great effort and result.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Both TFC goals were the result of brutal Seattle give-aways and they were assured a goal had it not been for the stellar performance by Frei.

Having said that, our passing, team work and tackling were better than they've been all season and were very positive. Great effort and result.

Succinct and accurate. :thumbsup:

Pachuco
04-25-2010, 10:14 PM

I completely agree. What's crazy is we score 2 goals in a half and all of a sudden it's the best game TFC have played in it's history. How quickly people forget. 4-0 thumping of Dallas on Father's day was one great game. Heck I remember a 0-0 tie against LA Galaxy where we played better then today. Not saying that we didn't play well, we did, but come on guys, we didn't destory Seattle, we capitalized when we needed to and they didn't. That's the kind of game it was.

Whoop
04-25-2010, 10:19 PM

I think Gabe was commenting on the guy saying Frei is a Premiership keeper...

nascarguy
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM

yeah frei was the best player on the field , dero was good

dupont
04-25-2010, 10:22 PM
To me the most important thing was that TFC finished those chances. In MLS you have to make sure to finish any chance you get.

scooterTFC
04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
No, I think you should go back and watch the game footage again. It's like the guy can't tackle cleanly. If you can't see that his second foot is raised and his studs are up on that first tackle, you're not watching. That's illegal, even if you get the ball first, and will sometimes get you a red, let alone a yellow.

And he absolutely mugged that guy on the touchline.

Hard-tackling is fine, but he's a goon.

Your a great writer, you make your points well and have tremendous influence with many people on here. I agree with you on many topics, but in this case you're opinion is not supported by the facts. I think your over reacting to the contact vs than the tackling technique. He's a defensive midfielder not a goon. I agree Saric is probably headed for a red card, but that's kinda like predicting rain in Vancouver.

We've had Serioux and Marshall on this team in the past... they were both red card risks and effective contributors. No reason Saric can't be the same. I'd argue that Saric is a cleaner tackler then both of those guys.

ag futbol
04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
It's like the guy can't tackle cleanly.

I agree... he's way over the top out there.

We've had plenty of guys here who can play d-mid physically without making these rash challenges. Robinson would be a prime example, guy could commit to a challenge hard without it being dirty.

Great game today by our guys, but he was without a doubt a liability. We're lucky as shit we didn't finish the game with ten men. The first challenge on flopper Freddie could easily have been straight red. Then when he was on a yellow he barges Nyassi on the touch line with no play on the ball whatsoever.

He's cutting down guys left and right in dangerous areas. Last week it lead to a free kick goal. It's one thing to be physical and boss the park, it's another to just play out of control. I can rarely think of a time today where he won the ball and we sustained possession, that's what he should be doing if he's earning his money.

Hooligan69
04-25-2010, 11:09 PM
TFC's second goal was a thing of beauty.

Whoop
04-25-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that was Estrada, no?

But i think they got tangled up running down the field. You can clearly see him charge into the box and take down Hscanovics. Then later Hiscanovic sliced him on a tackle as payback.

How a ref and a linesman can miss something so clear is beyond me. This officiating crew was a joke, even by MLS standards.

Yeah, it was Estrada @ 5:33.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=3&id=1829

Serb_Star
04-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Saric a goon but Toronto loves it's goons:D.

I don't expect the guy to stick around but hes decent.

ballerz
04-25-2010, 11:59 PM
What's wrong if Saric is dirty as long as he is on our team and he inflicts pain and injury on the opposition? He's a red card risk but Harmse, Velez, and Marshall were probably more prone to get red carded.

I still think Sam Cronin is a better player than Saric, but that's because I see Cronin as someone who can play on the right side, and JDG can move back into the middle. But Preki put JDG on the right and Saric in the middle and it worked.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-26-2010, 12:01 AM

Perspective!

Without 4 real top quality saves, we could have easily lost 4-2.

The only thing Keller did today was pick the ball out of the net…other than that there was no danger for him.

And our two full backs are absolute mince!

Destroy wasn't the first word that came to mind…

Northern Soul
04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
So...both of our goals were on Seattle giveaways? Yes. But if we didn't score on them, people here would be screaming that we can't capitalize on our chances. Now we play very well (second half) and capitalize, and were 'lucky' that we won?

I'm not saying we should win the league now or anything, but don't be gloom and doom on a good day. Now we just have to play like that consistently.

GabrielHurl
04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
I think you make an interesting point, and anyone who has looked at Preki's former team (chivas) could easily spot that Paulo Nagamura and our M. Saric are of the same mould of character. Tough Tackling, ball distributing engines. They are 'destroyers' and ball winners.

Are you talking about the same Paulo Nagamura that played with us in season 1????? If so, the last two sentences of yours don't make any sense

Dude was worse than Andy Welsh

JuliquE
04-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Hey Roogsy,
I'm just going to savour the 3 points today.
Great 2nd half, the boys played well.
No Comment today, just happy for the 3

:scarf::drum::flare::drum::scarf:
Pssh.. delusional -- you're all delusional. :rolleyes:

S_D
04-26-2010, 12:30 AM

Well I would go so far as we have been tough to play against this one game. I don't think we were so tough to play against in the previous ones. ;)

I do hope this wasn't a flash in the pan, and honestly I don't think it will be. That 10 minutes of constant passing reminded me of Chivas under Preki. I hope they can build on that, so we can start seeing full halves of passing.

And I really enjoyed watching JDG play with confidence today.

jloome
04-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Your a great writer, you make your points well and have tremendous influence with many people on here. I agree with you on many topics, but in this case you're opinion is not supported by the facts. I think your over reacting to the contact vs than the tackling technique. He's a defensive midfielder not a goon. I agree Saric is probably headed for a red card, but that's kinda like predicting rain in Vancouver.

We've had Serioux and Marshall on this team in the past... they were both red card risks and effective contributors. No reason Saric can't be the same. I'd argue that Saric is a cleaner tackler then both of those guys.

Ok, I'll give you this one. In slo-mo replay, it's clear Saric gets the ball first.

But I can also see why the Ref blew the call; Saris misses the ball with his foot, studs up (illegal) and actually catches the ball with his trailing thigh as Ljunberg tries to his it.

That's probably the only reason, however, why he didn't get a card for the second incident, because that, my friend, was a mugging. That one in slo-mo looks very bad indeed.

S_D
04-26-2010, 12:34 AM
What's wrong if Saric is dirty as long as he is on our team and he inflicts pain and injury on the opposition? He's a red card risk but Harmse, Velez, and Marshall were probably more prone to get red carded.

Harmse? No way LOL. Go look at his history with TFC. He was nowhere near the goon that Saric seems to be. I just hope Preki can contain him a bit so he doesn't cost this team some red cards. I'd say he was a bit lucky tonight not getting sent off.

I don't mind goons... a little spice in the midfield is a good thing as long as they don't cross the line :)

JuliquE
04-26-2010, 12:54 AM
I think we're getting glimpses of what Preki is trying to do with the team, and I like it.

When Preki dumped most of the squad, it seemed insane. I'm still not sure it was the best idea. And a big double-zero to MoJo for failing to bring in replacements until after the season had started, as usual. However, Preki is getting the squad to play his style, they are playing better, and I agree with those who say that the second half had the best football that TFC has ever played. The whole chain of passes leading up to that second goal was nothing but beautiful, and of a quality that you very rarely see in MLS.

Preki did indeed of some tactics in this match in having the defense play high un to catch Ljuneberg offside.

Those who say that the goals were due to "defensive errors," well defensive errors are common enough in MLS. It's not like any team has a Serie A backline. It's a good offense that takes advantage of those errors when they come.

SO Preki gets a "wait and see." And MoJo gets a big fat zero. And the boys in Red/White live to play another day. And the fans now have some hope.

Does everyone forget the ridiculous cap situation that Mo had us in going into this season? We're not rebuilding solely because of Preki. We had no choice! The absurd salaries paid down with allocation and guaranteed pay hikes left us way over the cap for this year. We shed several large salaries (Guevara, Vitti...) and still had no cap space!

Gerba just had to go, and no one was going to take his over $300k salary.

Blaming Preki for the state of the team at this point is VERY premature. Even if we won the cup last year we would have had to rebuild this year. Mo was banking on the idea that if we got into the playoffs last season, he'd get a pass for the next few.....
Hey.. this is easy. Thanks Jeffro!

/generic infomercial acting

JohnWalter
04-26-2010, 01:06 AM
There was a point in the game where toronto made more than 10 passes without losing the ball. Ive never seen that before by toronto. good work.

That was awesome eh? We were Ole'ing!

JohnWalter
04-26-2010, 01:13 AM

give-aways happen when you are organized, when you press the opponent, you force those types of mistakes, I think that's definitely a change in how the team is playing since last year, we are definitely becoming hard to play against, combine that with a bit of skill and finishing ability and hopefully we'll win more often then we lose...

twistedchinaman
04-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Let's also make this crystal clear: this does not save Mo Johnston's job (only gives him one more fibre in the rope, that's it), nor does it make him look any better. He still needs to go.

With that said, roll on to Wednesday!!! :scarf:

Jeffro
04-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Let's also make this crystal clear: this does not save Mo Johnston's job (only gives him one more fibre in the rope, that's it), nor does it make him look any better. He still needs to go.

With that said, roll on to Wednesday!!! :scarf:

I don't care if we win the next 10 straight games. Mo needs to be fired.

DoubleUp
04-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Team played well!!!. I still think we need a speedy/skillful ...........striker/Am.
Someone to exploit through ball and 1v1 opportunities.

twistedchinaman
04-26-2010, 02:12 AM
I don't care if we win the next 10 straight games. Mo needs to be fired.

Exactly. Even if we win the fucking Northern Americas triple (NCC, MLS Cup, CCL) I WANT HIM GONE.

Anselmi if you're reading this -- don't even think about giving that SOB any more rope.

Lennon
04-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Football is a funny game. I thought that we defended better against Colorado then we did today despite the clean sheet.

We're still struggling moving the ball forward and creating chances ... besides the two goals and White's shot early on I can't remember us giving Seattle much trouble. Tbh for most of the game Seattle looked like the home team ... and nearly half their lineup consisted of subs! We're lucky that they didn't have any strikers on the field to finish off some pretty good chances.

Not too thrilled with playing De Guzman on the wing and :facepalm:Saric:facepalm: in the middle ... sub Cronin for :facepalm:Saric:facepalm: and play De Guzman in his natural position if Preki chooses to play the diamond.

I'm suddenly feeling nervous about Wednesday and not looking forward to playing in altitude on short rest again on Saturday.

btw, was that Gargen with the nice one touch pass to Dero on the 2nd goal? If it was then he deserves to start on Wednesday.

maninb
04-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Saric is absolute crap...can pass, can't run, and is a red card waiting to ahppen every time he tackles someone...he should be nailed to the bench with Garcia...Gala is a MUCH MUCH superior player from what I've seen and should be given a chance...Usanov's card was BS, but you can put that down to Saric hacking down every Sounder is sight the first 30 minutes...Other than that WELL DONE BOYS!!!

Beach_Red
04-26-2010, 07:25 AM

When Preki dumped most of the squad, it seemed insane. I'm still not sure it was the best idea.

And still, most of the impact guys - DeRo, JDG, White, Frei, even Attakora - were all here last year. There is a little more continuity here than we're making it sound sometimes.

Nuvinho
04-26-2010, 07:28 AM
for someone who doesn't speak english well, Saric always seems to have something to say after every play to the opposing players.

Libra_60
04-26-2010, 07:31 AM
I predicted a Seattle blowout. Okay I will man up, I was 100% wrong. This was such a positive step forward for our boys. I loved the formation with Barrett and White up front. Dero and JDG controlled the midfield like they can and Frei was unbelievable between the posts.

Wednesday night is a perfect opportunity to build on yesterday's performance so we can head to Real Salt Lake and grab another two points. This should be in our grasp. I'm starting to see what can be possible.

Lucky Strike
04-26-2010, 08:21 AM
for someone who doesn't speak english well, Saric always seems to have something to say after every play to the opposing players.

He's probably a bit like Jarko Ruutu who combines English and Finnish to annoy people. I wonder what Spanish and Serbo-Croatian sound like together?

Steve
04-26-2010, 08:51 AM
A few things stick out in my mind from this game:

1) We had a string of passes (that has been mentioned) which lasted a long time, and has some nice passes in it. Frankly, that was the first time I had seen TFC do that.

2) JDG must have received some sort of wake up call after being personally responsible for a goal last week. Maybe something in his brain snapped and he realised this league isn't a cake walk. Maybe he read some criticism and decided to shut them (us) up. Either way, he played like I knew he could play, and finally made a case for being a designated player.

3) Yes, the goals were due to defensive mistakes, but what some people seem to be missing is, we finished them! Neither goal was a gimme. The first DeRo stripped the ball, but still had to thread it between 2 players and around the keeper, the second was a great pass and a great finish. In the past, TFC have had trouble punishing teams for mistakes. We just didn't have the composure on the ball to do it. This lead to teams being more confident to push up the pitch (especially in the final minutes, where we lost countless points last year). Now, if teams realize we have the ability to capitalize, not only will be score, but other teams will be forced to sit back more and give us more room.

Shaughno
04-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Well said Steve, perfectly said actually.

English Rachel
04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
I think JDG is finally playing football. For TFC. Whodathunk?

Lol props to him, let's hope he stays.

Actually, we looked like a team playing decent, communicative, relatively successful football yesterday. I am a proud fan.

'If you keep trying, we'll keep believing!"

__wowza
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
A few things stick out in my mind from this game:
3) Yes, the goals were due to defensive mistakes, but what some people seem to be missing is, we finished them! Neither goal was a gimme. The first DeRo stripped the ball, but still had to thread it between 2 players and around the keeper, the second was a great pass and a great finish. In the past, TFC have had trouble punishing teams for mistakes. We just didn't have the composure on the ball to do it. This lead to teams being more confident to push up the pitch (especially in the final minutes, where we lost countless points last year). Now, if teams realize we have the ability to capitalize, not only will be score, but other teams will be forced to sit back more and give us more room.

fully agree with all of them, this one specifically. we're normally on the other end of this spectrum but yesterday it was almost a complete reversal. we were stopping chances stemming from our mistakes while capitalizing on theirs.

Belfast_Boy
04-26-2010, 09:24 AM
I think JDG played ok. he still wasn't great and at times I think he was hungover.

again our best man was DeRo. when he wasn't getting service he was back by our box picking up the ball. when he lost it at their end he kept going, took it back and put it in the net.

I haven't read this whole thread but I hope Frei got top marks. without him it would have been a very different game.