PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings: Seattle v. TFC

Lucky Strike
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi guys, come back after the game to check these out. Do note that it takes me 45-60 minutes to write them so hang in there after the match. Also, depending on whether it will rain or not, I may go and mow the lawn afterwards. Regardless, the ratings should be up by 6pm at the very latest. Good luck to the boys for today!

Brooker
04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I was going to say that was pretty damn quick.

[NBF]
04-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Good game, but horrible performance. The weather was horrendous and the game was sooooo poor I started to notice some of the banner we have on the sidelines. I know I saw a banner for "Carlsberg", but then opposite of that I saw a small banner for "Frosted Flakes".

Easily, the best formation this year. 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 (Diamond):

--------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
Usanov-----------Attakora---------------Cann--------------Hscanovics
-------------------------------Saric-----------------------------------
DeGuzman----------------------------------------------------LeBrocca
----------------------------DeRosario----------------------------------
-----------------White-------------------Barrett-----------------------

Notes:

(1)Barrett, was subbed off for Gargan which made the formation a 4-4-1-1.
(2)LeBrocca, was subbed off for Cronin(finally).
(3)DeRosario was subbed off for gabe gala, which made the formation a 4-1-4-1.

* Very good use of the subs today.

Negatives: The only minus we had in this formation was Saric playing as a defensive midfielder, which I knew was asking for trouble and I was sure he was going to get carded or yanked.

Positives: DeRosario was playing in his more natural position and he was leathal and created opportunities. DeGuzman played well as a right midfielder which I dont mind because it gives us cover for Usanov. LeBrocca played on the opposite side covering for Hscanovics which was a smart move also. The only liability we had like I said was Saric in the middle infront of Cann and Attakora. My question is why didnt Cronin start in place of Saric?

Gabe Gala, also played which was interesting and pleasing to see since he is rumoured to be on his way out. I think he secured his place on the team by getting playing time today.

Ratings:

Frei- 7

Usanov- 7
Attakora- 8
Cann- 7
Hscanovics- 7

DeGuzman- 8
LeBrocca- 7
Saric- 7, he did barely enough.
DeRosario- 8
Gargan- 7
Cronin- 7
Gala- 7

O.B.W.- 7
Barrett- 7

*Just one question I need answered, Where's Ibrahim? I know he wasnt needed today and you would want O.B.W. to be a more confident player, but theres still a few instances where Ibrahim could be a usefull substitute.

Lucky Strike
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Such a good win against a good team; there’s very little to criticize. I suppose the cynic could say that Seattle was playing with several players who don’t normally start, but their better players did make their way onto the pitch (such Zakuani and Montero) but got little done. The ratings!

Frei (8): Going by my scale, this means an outstanding effort. CBC showed that Seattle had 4 shots on goal and as I recall, Frei needed to be very vigilant on all of them. He also came out effectively to cut out crosses and looked very commanding barking orders all over the place. He would have gotten a higher score had Seattle looked more menacing on those chances.
Usanov (6): A better outing than previous matches. Nothing flashy but fairly steady today. He did have the one instance where he had a dumbfounded look on his face as a Seattle player blew by early in the second half for a one-on-one with Frei but aside from that, no complaints really.
Attakora (6.5): I sound like a broken record but yet another good performance from Nana. There was one instance where he was caught ball-watching a little giving Evans (I think it was) a free header but no damage came to it.
Cann (7): Essentially the same comments as for Attakora minus the mistake Nana had. I would like to see (and this is about both CBs) someone yell “man on” or “time” when it comes to clearing the ball away from our penalty area. There were instances where it was a no nonsense clearance when it didn’t have to be. But I won’t complain about it too much, it’s inviting bad karma.
Hscanovics (6.5): Wasn’t all that solicited during the match I thought. But when he was called upon, he was effective and I liked the runs he made forward as he knows how to deliver an effective ball.
Saric (5.5): He put a huge smile on my face as he came right through Ljungberg early on and got away with it. He did get the ball but it was pretty brutal and was surprised he wasn’t carded. May have gotten his comeuppance a bit later when he finally did receive the yellow. However, he was lucky not to get his marching orders in the second half as he came back to cover Hscanovics who had made a run forward and brought down the guy. True, he fell pretty easily but at speed it easily could have been misinterpreted. I’d like to see him try and not fly off the handle in terms of emotions.
DeGuzman (7.5): Finally, the player we thought we were getting finally showed up a played his best game as a Toronto player. Saw a lot of the play, distributed good passes and had some delightful footwork to maintain possession of the ball. His tackling could have been a little better but overall very pleased with him today.
LaBrocca (6): Clearly ran his socks off but I didn’t think produced too much today. Oh well, they can’t all have outstanding days.
DeRosario (7.5): Yet another masterpiece by the skipper. He had a goal and an assist as well as being a thorn in Seattle’s face (I know it’s actually “side” but I want to put emphasis on it) all day long. We’re so lucky to have him.
Barrett (6.5): Another industrious performance from him. He’s probably one of our most skilled players. Couldn’t score but I thought did enough to warrant attention from Seattle all the live long day. Well…actually until he was substituted but you get the picture.
White (6.5): Wasn’t as dangerous during the match but countered that with a well taken goal. He appears very clinical.

Gargan, on for Barrett – 62nd minute (6.5): I’m not really sure how the formation was affected by this move because Gargan plays at RM or RB and a striker came off for him. He did appear to be fairly forward at times so make of that what you will. In any case, I thought he had some good passes, kept the ball well and really put everything he had into his performance today – case in point when he chased after the ball late in the game and beat three players to it. He could have stayed down and appealed for a foul but was up and off again as the referee was telling everyone to play on.
Cronin, on for LaBrocca – 74th minute (6): Like for like replacement as the commentators said LaBrocca was gassed (well, indirectly they did). I actually originally thought Cronin was coming on for Saric who was on a yellow and on the verge of getting a second one as that’s what I would have done had I been manager. But I suppose having fresh legs to stay with the also-fresh Zakuani (who is already fast) is also a good idea. Anyway, no complaints about him and thought he was effective in his short time on the pitch.
Gala, on for DeRosario – 80th minute (NR): Was adequate during his 10 minutes.

P.S. Players need to play at least 15 minutes to get a rating.

Preki (6.5): A diamond 4-4-2 from him today which oddly resulted in DeGuzman being on the right flank. However, it seemed to work fairly well. Seattle did get some chances but overall were kept bottled up. I would have liked to see Saric subbed off immediately after his close call on a potential second yellow. However, I liked the idea of having a fresh player to keep up with the also-fresh Zakuani (as mentioned earlier) and DeRosario getting the chance for an applause, some rest and a chance for Gala to get some game time.

Referee (7): One thing I really liked was his management of the game. Was fairly consistent throughout and didn’t really fall for Seattle’s wet tissue act. A lesser referee might have gotten given in to giving a second yellow to Saric. It was certainly a foul, but no yellow. I suppose persistent infringement could have been a cause for a yellow but I thought Saric had calmed down between his first half yellow and that moment.

TFC MOTM: Frei. Though DeRosario got a goal and an assist, it was Frei’s numerous quality saves early on that kept TFC in the match to then get the winner later.

Most impressed by opposition’s: Freddie Ljungberg. He was really the only player that looked dangerous during the match.

Least impressed by opposition’s: Freddie Ljungberg. Folds faster than a cheap suit and it’s getting to be a tired act. Constantly whines and complains to the referee when he doesn’t get his way. I had great joy as Saric demolished him early on.

Conclusion: A very impressive performance from the white-clad Reds against a top team in the league. Of course, they had some rotation players in there but it was impressive nonetheless. Even as their better players came on later, they were well bottled and got nothing going as they chased the match in the later stages. Early on, TFC’s possession could have been better and indeed was much so in the second half. That’s how you have to do it. I hope this provides a good platform to build on. Mo still has to go though.

Chevy
04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
The referee getting plunked reminded me of my father trying to get to the shed by running through one of our backyard games.

Don't think he ever had a flourescent orange shirt though, but it was the 70's. :)

poppamidnight
04-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Once again I'd give Saric a sub-acceptable performance
4/10...

This guy is just awfull... I want to see him banished to the end of the bench alongside Garcia...

In the little I saw of him today I was really impressed w/ Gala... Excellent control on the ball today... I'd actually consider slotting him in for Saric for the remainder of the season. A Nana-esque Canadian development in the making?

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 05:05 PM
What the HELL is Preki doing giving Saric the start over and over again?

He is useless. He's a thug. He could have easily been red-carded today.

Saric the start and Cronin given zero minutes? I have zero confidence on Preki's roster-choosing abilities.

TERSIGNI
04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Saric; accident waiting to happen. Not only are his tackles reckless, his passing is atrocious almost always missing his mark.

CretanBull
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Saric the start and Cronin given zero minutes? I have zero confidence on Preki's roster-choosing abilities.

Saric is horrible - an absolute red card waiting to happen. Worse than Harmse ever was. BUT to get the most out of JDG, he needs to play with a holding mid - too bad Carl is gone.

Broadview
04-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Cronin was subbed in later in the 2nd half, showed some decent hustle.

I was hoping to see him in for Saric because I was worried he would get carded again. I would say it was Saric's best game so far though in terms of not giving the ball away a dozen times.

As long as it doesn't actually cost the team, today for instance, I like having a goon out there.

poppamidnight
04-25-2010, 05:15 PM

I was hoping to see him in for Saric because I was worried he would get carded again. I would say it was Saric's best game so far though in terms of not giving the ball away a dozen times.

As long as it doesn't actually cost the team, today for instance, I like having a goon out there.

Off the top of my head was it 2 times or three where he looked like he wast trying to start a fight today?

:facepalm:

To Saric:
Listen buddy, your not Danny Dichio...stop

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 05:16 PM

Yeah sorry about Cronin...I mean "minimal" minutes. Cronin should be getting the start over Saric...period.

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Saric had a strong game, that tackle on Ljunberg was huge for the game, as well as his consistent tough play.

The Harmse comparisons are so stupid. Harmse had 1 red card with us, cut the red card machine crap.

Saric isn't a great player, but he was great for us today.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Saric was not "great". If that is great, I'd have to wonder what accolades someone would get for a truly great game. He had several boneheaded moments and the rest of the game didn't give the ball away like he had done many times in previous games.

Super Cereal
04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
For the role he plays, Saric was strong today. Lucky, maybe, but he was great as a pest/enforcer, which is a valuable role in this league which the "supporters" on this site can't seem to grasp.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2010, 05:28 PM

I would prefer Cronin starting over Saric as well but zero confidence in Preki's ability to select the roster? Really? After today's performance?

I give up...

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah sorry about Cronin...I mean "minimal" minutes. Cronin should be getting the start over Saric...period.

Agreed.

I thought Saric had a good game, but fair is fair, Saric had three fouls worthy of yellows and could've put our team at a further disadvantage.

Yes, this was his best game as a member of the team. But he did turn the ball over, make lazy tackles and could've put us in trouble. Definitely has anger issues, which could lead to a red with some MLS refs.

Cronin was dependable when brought in. He's always dependable when brought in. He's professional, consistent and is just as good in attack as he is in defence. Also, he's not out of position as much as Saric was; a couple times today and more often in other games.

I hope Cronin starts on Wednesday, but I have a feeling Preki will want the same XI starting Wednesday, hence why Barrett and DeRo came off early. Still, Cronin will likely start on May 1 against RSL.

TFC_4_Life
04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I see now why Preki is choosing to start Saric because he sets a certain tone on the field with his tough, no nonsense tackles. I think he sent a message to seattle with his tough tackles and our team on a whole played with a similar level of aggression and toughness. I did get nervous that he was going to pick up a second yellow but we are way to premature with calling him a red card machine. I felt defensively he did a decent job and overall fulfilled all his duties.

Offensively he rarely moves the ball forward and i have yet to see him make a probing pass. As a fan i would prefer someone who was capable of that offensive flare once in a while but I think Preki is happy with the type of performance he gave today.

Defensively Saric has more of an impact on the game then Cronin would at the same position. Like others have commented before Cronin does nothing bad, but nothing good either. Especially seeing how Cronin is still such a young player, i think its good he is being pushed to earn a spot.

jloome
04-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Saric had a strong game, that tackle on Ljunberg was huge for the game, as well as his consistent tough play.

The Harmse comparisons are so stupid. Harmse had 1 red card with us, cut the red card machine crap.

We must've been watching different games. He was absolute shit for 70% of the game, not involved the other 30%. Weakest player on the pitch, hands down.

And Lucky, Hscanovic had a great game. One of the best players on the pitch. No way he ranks out as the same as Nana, who blew coverage on two near goals.

Roogsy
04-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Defensively Saric has more of an impact on the game then Cronin would at the same position. Like others have commented before Cronin does nothing bad, but nothing good either. Especially seeing how Cronin is still such a young player, i think its good he is being pushed to earn a spot.

Ok, so this statement makes the assertion that Saric did something good. I would love to review the good he did so I may be able to reassess my position. When were these good plays that he produced, especially considering the really obvious bad ones we are all aware of?

Mak
04-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Saric is terrible. Bad tackles, poor passes, turns over the ball frequently, and his positioning is awful. He was like a 5th defender instead of giving the the CB's some space to get him the ball. Cronin plays a much better holding mid. He distributes the ball much, much better.

Mak
04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I would like to add just how much we miss outside midfielders/wingers. Although the team started to to expand the field of play in the second half, we were very poor in the first half. When we have ball possession in our end, we need to expand the field. Instead we clog up the midfield. There was more than a few occasions in the first half where all three midfielders, plus DeRo would get clogged up in a small space and get caught flat footed. Nobody thought, not even the full backs, to widen out and create space. No fluidity. We picked it up in the second half, and hopefully we will build on it.

tlear
04-25-2010, 07:12 PM
The tackle on Ljungberg was a thing of beauty

Pachuco
04-25-2010, 07:18 PM

What in the world? you can't be serious? did you MISS all those give aways, horrendous passes and terrible tackles? what the hell did he do except the tackle on Ljunberg?

greatwhitenorf
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Hscanovics play today was much more decisive. Against Philly, he constantly stalled with the ball at his feet and played himself into trouble. Today, moved into spaces well and made himself available, delivered good balls upfield. Nice to see that improvement.

Also enjoyed watching Usmanov get ambitious going upfield a few times in the manner that Wynne did in his best moments. There's a weapon being developed there. Nice to hear him and the superb JDG communicating well. Did you see him hit that gorgeous, slicing cross-field back pass toward the west side(Hiscanovics?) in the second half? Lovely technique. More please.

Cann is looking like a very solid acquisition. For once, the back four is starting to give me reason to hope. There's clearly some depth being established in midfield and our finishing on the goals was excellent. If only Barrett could pot one in these early days...

I thought everyone seemed to be working very hard today to press Seattle in their own end and take away time and space to play balls upfield. And we were opportunistically looking for a third goal instead of completely sitting back and just hoofing it away.

Encouraging signs.

TheKing7
04-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Saric plays on a fine line - a very fine line. It seems like every tackle he gets into should be a booking or a sending off. Yet he continues to breakup play, and he hasn't been sent off yet. Maybe he is just getting lucky, but until he gets sent off I have faith that he knows the limits of his tackles.

If his passing could improve, I'd like to see him stay. I still prefer Cronin, but I don't think he gets stuck in enough for Preki's likings.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Hscanovics play today was much more decisive. Against Philly, he constantly stalled with the ball at his feet and played himself into trouble. Today, moved into spaces well and made himself available, delivered good balls upfield. Nice to see that improvement.

Also enjoyed watching Usmanov get ambitious going upfield a few times in the manner that Wynne did in his best moments. There's a weapon being developed there. Nice to hear him and the superb JDG communicating well. Did you see him hit that gorgeous, slicing cross-field back pass toward the west side(Hiscanovics?) in the second half? Lovely technique. More please.

Cann is looking like a very solid acquisition. For once, the back four is starting to give me reason to hope. There's clearly some depth being established in midfield and our finishing on the goals was excellent. If only Barrett could pot one in these early days...

I thought everyone seemed to be working very hard today to press Seattle in their own end and take away time and space to play balls upfield. And we were opportunistically looking for a third goal instead of completely sitting back and just hoofing it away.

Encouraging signs.

Agree on all accounts.

I dont think anyone saw Alphabet Soup having any kind of ability. The first game he was like a deer in headlights and now he's overlapping, making quality tackles, making good short passes... he had an issue with holding the backline on the early Seattle chance but very encouraging overall.

Lucky Strike
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Saric plays on a fine line - a very fine line. It seems like every tackle he gets into should be a booking or a sending off. Yet he continues to breakup play, and he hasn't been sent off yet. Maybe he is just getting lucky, but until he gets sent off I have faith that he knows the limits of his tackles.

If his passing could improve, I'd like to see him stay. I still prefer Cronin, but I don't think he gets stuck in enough for Preki's likings.

True enough, Saric is one tough hombre and as long as he knows where the limit is, I'm fine with it despite it causing emotional angst and fearing the flash of a card. I know I'm kind of repeating what you just said (I also agree on the need for improved passing), but I think it needs emphasizing.

I'm very eager to see the latest MLS salaries list and see how much all these new guys make and whether Preki is keeping to his philosophy of getting the most out of no-name players who play for cost-effective salaries.

DichioTFC
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
And how great is the CanNana partnership? The best we've ever seen!

TheKing7
04-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Agree on all accounts.

I dont think anyone saw Alphabet Soup having any kind of ability. The first game he was like a deer in headlights and now he's overlapping, making quality tackles, making good short passes... he had an issue with holding the backline on the early Seattle chance but very encouraging overall.

Lets also not forget he arrived with the team the day of the New England match. He may only be hitting his form now, with more to come.

sully
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
And how great is the CanNana partnership? The best we've ever seen!

agreed..finally it seems to be working back there!

ag futbol
04-25-2010, 08:29 PM
We must've been watching different games. He was absolute shit for 70% of the game, not involved the other 30%. Weakest player on the pitch, hands down.

And Lucky, Hscanovic had a great game. One of the best players on the pitch. No way he ranks out as the same as Nana, who blew coverage on two near goals.
Agreed on all counts.

Hscanovic was a huge surprise. I didn't even think he was anywhere near MLS level before this game. He was all over the place today. Having the LB and RB being able to hold + overlap completely changed the game for us.

Two or three more games and Marvell Wynne will be a distant memory.

Parkdale
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
thanks for writing that up Lucky Strike

Toronto_Bhoy
04-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Saric is the new Garcia who was the old Welsh…

ginkster88
04-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Hskanovics played far better than a 6.5. I was very impressed with him and Usanov today. Cann put in a good performance once again; when you don't hear his name on the broadcast, you know he's playing well.

MUFC_Niagara
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM

+ 1,000,000. Cronin is one of the best football brains on this club and is being benched for a guy who has no brain. It's a no brainer....play the guy with the brain!

jloome
04-25-2010, 10:07 PM
+ 1,000,000. Cronin is one of the best football brains on this club and is being benched for a guy who has no brain. It's a no brainer....play the guy with the brain!

Yeah, to me this is the only tactical error in this whole 4-3-1-2 setup, having Saric instead of Cronin. I don't think tough is often as necessary as smart, particularly when you have a two-way team and need to break up field quickly.

FluSH
04-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Barrett (6.5): Another industrious performance from him. He’s probably one of our most skilled players. Couldn’t score but I thought did enough to warrant attention from Seattle all the live long day. Well…actually until he was substituted but you get the picture.

Chad Barrett is playing some footy out there... even though he didn't score he was still productive... I like what I see from Chad Barett... my only suggestion would be to never look at the sky or put up your hands when you miss a shot/cross... that 1/2 a second can cost you an opportunity for a goal... for example... after his shot hit the ref DeRo was still in game mode... and scored... unfortunately Chad was in "WTF" mode...

nevertheless... I was to see Chad Starting.... he just needs to control his emotions...

TheKing7
04-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Chad Barrett is playing some footy out there... even though he didn't score he was still productive... I like what I see from Chad Barett... my only suggestion would be to never look at the sky or put up your hands when you miss a shot/cross... that 1/2 a second can cost you an opportunity for a goal... for example... after his shot hit the ref DeRo was still in game mode... and scored... unfortunately Chad was in "WTF" mode...

nevertheless... I was to see Chad Starting.... he just needs to control his emotions...

I love the emotion/ passion Chad plays with. If he can keep him emotion in-check he'll have a very good year.

ginkster88
04-26-2010, 12:02 AM

As a good coach told me once, don't compound your errors. Barrett obviously never heard that growing up, and is worried more about how he looks than how he can help the team. He needs to stop throwing his hands in the air and lying on the pitch and start getting after the ball when he gives it up.

ballerz
04-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Frei (9) - Smart save in the opening minutes of 1st half to push the cross away. Two brilliant saves in the 2nd half to keep the score 0-0

Hscanovic (7) - Looked much more comfortable in foraying into the attacking third, movement was a lot better, and kept his wing clean against the dangerous Nyassi

Cann (7) - Overall, a very solid game at the back

Attakora (5) - Two big mistakes in the 2nd half and Frei saved his ass. He couldn't intercept Ljunberg's ball to Sturgis and he let Evans slipped by him on the second chance

Usanov (6) - Average game for the Russian. He's not bad, but not good.

Saric (6) - Perhaps a little reckless, but did his job cleaning up infront of the back 4 and starting attacks. There is noticeable improvement in his play from game 1 to this point.

Labrocca (7) - Based on the past five games, we can count on him for an energetic performance and lively movements in each game. The only negative I have is that DeRo needs to be our dead ball specialist - he's awful

De Guzman (8) - Best game in TFC uniform. Showed he is a class above MLS with his brilliant technical skills. Kept the ball moving to the right spots on the attack and won a fair share of tackles in the midfielder

De Rosario (9) - "Fluke goal" still required masterful finish and his pass to White was perfect

Barrett (6) - He hit the ref with the cross that led to the "fluke goal" (LOL). This was not a good game for Chad. However, with his technical skill (except for infront of the goal) and his industrious effort, there is no denying that he is our 2nd biggest offensive threat. The fans might think he sucks, but the opponents key in on him in the game plan.

White (5) - Nice goal, but with his speed, size and strength, the team really needs him to be able to get to the end of the long balls, take it down, and hold it up until his midfield can join the attack. He did not do that at all today.

Gargan (7) - He's not a bad player at the MLS level and was productive with his 20 minutes

Cronin (7) - Effective with his 15 minutes. We needed fresh legs to defend and chase, and he did it pretty well. I hope he gets more playing time - he can do much more

Gala (NR)

TFCRegina
04-26-2010, 01:36 AM
The tackle on Ljungberg was a thing of beauty

I agree.

He might be a thug, but he's our thug god dammit and I'm more than willing to support a player that everyone else on the pitch is afraid of.

You'll note that their attacks rarely got going, they had a few really good chances that were saved but no more. Part of that is due to the backline, a big chunk in fact, but Saric also did his best to make it tough on those forwards. He slowed down the Seattle attack. I personally would have pulled him off at the 61st minute, and put Cronin in for him, if only to reduce the risk of a red card.

But he's a roleplayer, and an enforcer. I'm surprised we, as Canadians, aren't embracing our thug. :P

felipe
04-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I was impressed by Saric...would you want to receive the ball in the centre of the park with that thug out there? Or receiving the ball with your back to goal - not knowing where he is? The Seattle players didn't want to either...

I loved the way he raced after Nyassi, caught him after a 40 yard chase and then instead of tackling him or even making it look like a tackle, just flung him to the ground! Fantastic.

How he tried to maim Ljunberg?

Or how he raced down the field to get involved with every little skirmish?

I don't care - you need a guy like that. A guy who has the opposition continually looking over their shoulders...and to be fair, he's played the role perfectly - he hasn't been sent off once. He's straddled the line very very well.

And I'm surprised that there isn't more props around here for Gargan - he made that second goal. He was very good yesterday.

We were lucky at times though - even though that second half is the best I think TFC has ever played - we actually strung more than 3 passes together.

mmmikey
04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
i think i understand where ppl are coming from with the appreciation of saric. however i can't help but wonder it's not a bit of the hockey fan in some. he did set a tone on seattle, and can be useful to intimidate a team with his aggressive play.

HOWEVER, personally i think his game is overly aggressive and does nowhere near enough to make up for his errors. especially in MLS the number of teams that will actually be intimidated by his tactics are few. yet the teams that will capitalize on his mistakes are many. as the player shielding the back line he needs to be better in possession, make fewer poor passes and taking pressure off his teammates, not add it on with a weak or badly angled pass. being strong in the tackle does not require one to be reckless in the tackle.

i like cronin, but im not sure he is physical enough to handle the same role. cronin is a good sub/rotational player for JDG/Labrocca. i would like to see sanyang start over saric and get a chance to grow a bit. i think sanyang has the ability to develop his game and give the kind of effort/physicality. also feel he is better on the ball than saric (not by much, but thats where i think sanyang can still grow and learn from a JDG whereas saric is basically a done deal).

i saw something in hscanovics the first game that gave me hope for our LB.. the subsequent games made me think i was very wrong until yesterday! nice to see good play from both of our FB's for once. make's our back line feel balanced and takes alot of pressure off of the CB's. Cann is able to play a simple mans game, something that he is doing well.

H Bomb
04-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Come on guys theres a simple reason to not put cronin in that midfield. That being you dont want a midfield with nothing but players who are about five foot two. Need additional height. Im not defending it, but it hadnt been mentioned. Also we need more obw love. The kid is great. He flicked on like twelve balls with no one making runs. Problem is we have too many players who want to score from thirty yards, and only one who wants to get in the box. Obw was great yesterday.

Lucky Strike
04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Come on guys theres a simple reason to not put cronin in that midfield. That being you dont want a midfield with nothing but players who are about five foot two. Need additional height. Im not defending it, but it hadnt been mentioned. Also we need more obw love. The kid is great. He flicked on like twelve balls with no one making runs. Problem is we have too many players who want to score from thirty yards, and only one who wants to get in the box. Obw was great yesterday.

Personally, I like how OBW makes runs towards the centre of the box starting from the edge or the sides. In contrast, for all his effort, I think Barrett would be well served to imitate that instead of starting in a central position and drifting off to the sides to look for the ball.

jloome
04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Personally, I like how OBW makes runs towards the centre of the box starting from the edge or the sides. In contrast, for all his effort, I think Barrett would be well served to imitate that instead of starting in a central position and drifting off to the sides to look for the ball.

Good lord, No. Barrett's movement off the ball is a league above OBW's. It's why Barrett is in the right spot to muff so many sitters

Roogsy
04-26-2010, 10:25 AM
i think i understand where ppl are coming from with the appreciation of saric. however i can't help but wonder it's not a bit of the hockey fan in some. he did set a tone on seattle, and can be useful to intimidate a team with his aggressive play.

This is the feeling I am getting.

Roogsy
04-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Good lord, No. Barrett's movement off the ball is a league above OBW's. It's why Barrett is in the right spot to muff so many sitters

Again, spot on Jeremy.

Barrett is by far the most industrious player out there, constantly moving into open space. If it weren't for his maddenning curse or fear of hitting the back of the net, we'd love him to death.

Whoop
04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
If he hit the back of the net with regularity, he wouldn't be in MLS. He'd be playing somewhere in Scandinavia.

jaxul
04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Other than the obvious DeRosario and Frei having very good performances I watched Cann all match long and really liked what I saw. Really solid stuff.

On the flip side I thought Usanov was our weakest link of the back 4...somewhat slow and some of his decisions were rushed. Saric's actions will eventually cost us...

Super Cereal
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree.

He might be a thug, but he's our thug god dammit and I'm more than willing to support a player that everyone else on the pitch is afraid of.

You'll note that their attacks rarely got going, they had a few really good chances that were saved but no more. Part of that is due to the backline, a big chunk in fact, but Saric also did his best to make it tough on those forwards. He slowed down the Seattle attack. I personally would have pulled him off at the 61st minute, and put Cronin in for him, if only to reduce the risk of a red card.

But he's a roleplayer, and an enforcer. I'm surprised we, as Canadians, aren't embracing our thug. :P

I was impressed by Saric...would you want to receive the ball in the centre of the park with that thug out there? Or receiving the ball with your back to goal - not knowing where he is? The Seattle players didn't want to either...

I loved the way he raced after Nyassi, caught him after a 40 yard chase and then instead of tackling him or even making it look like a tackle, just flung him to the ground! Fantastic.

How he tried to maim Ljunberg?

Or how he raced down the field to get involved with every little skirmish?

I don't care - you need a guy like that. A guy who has the opposition continually looking over their shoulders...and to be fair, he's played the role perfectly - he hasn't been sent off once. He's straddled the line very very well.
Agreed completely, great posts.

Saric was very valuable yesterday, and although he was a card risk, I hope Preki continues to play him.

J .
04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Frei - 10 - He was great today, made many key saves. MoM keeping a potent Seattle offense at bay.

Usanov - 6 - Tough player. Win tackles, still not sold on his offensive acumen. Works hard and positional.

Attakora - 6 - Good game, Frei saved him from being a goat on a few occasions but Attakora closed space down well.

Cann - 6 - Solid in the air, but on the ground got caught watching the ball a few times.

The Latvian Guy - 6 - Set pieces and crosses left a lot to be desired. Defensively improving and like Usanov a tough customer.

Saric - 7 - Tough defensive midfielder set the tone against a Seattle club that does not like physical play. Not great on the ball, but has the balls to make the rough tackles which exposed Seattle as a soft team.

De Guzman - 6 - Not sure if playing wide suits him, but had his hardest working game. Helped lockdown the midfield.

LaBrocca - 6 - Quiet, did not notice him too much. Definately in the mould of a hard working player. Still developing chemistry. Not missing Wynne, but is LaBrocca doing much?

DeRo - 9 - Soul of the team. His offensive effort complimented Freis best game of the season. Without DeRo the workman like efforts of the supporting cast would be wasted.

OBW - 7 - Need to see more from White, did bag a scorers goal finishing what was served up. Improving first touch, needs to improve physical play against tough defenders and still not convinced on the merits of him being a lone striker.

Barrett - 7 - He does a lot to spread teams out. His work and Seattles lazy defending on the edge of the box nabbed DeRo the chance to score. We all saw what Preki meant when he says Chad needs to let mistakes go by. It could have been him stealing the ball and scoring a well place shot.

Cronin - 6 - Good player to come off the bench. Was rushed last year, good to give him time to develop.

Gargan - 6 - Role player, lacks pace or ability to attack. Defensively sound, versatile and a good sub.

Gala - 6 - Is he the real deal, will he ever be a player? Has pace, which he used, but what else does he bring to the table?

Overall, it was not Toronto's best game, but one of the games they needed to grind out a win and did. The keeper made key saves, defence bent but didnt break and the offence poached a few goals. The defensive players all have a common hardnosed mentality that makes it uncomfortable for teams. Fouls and yellows are going to be an issue, but the intensity to win is there. It was an important three points for the morale of the club and supporters.

rocker
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Gargan - 6 - Role player, lacks pace or ability to attack. Defensively sound, versatile and a good sub..

What do you mean by lacks ability to attack in the Seattle game? I thought that was his strength yesterday. He played a couple of beautiful passes forward and went forward well himself in limited playing time. The White goal was started by a perfectly weighted ball from Gargan to De Ro. He was the one that turned that moment around from defense to offense.

J .
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
What do you mean by lacks ability to attack in the Seattle game? I thought that was his strength yesterday. He played a couple of beautiful passes forward and went forward well himself in limited playing time. The White goal was started by a perfectly weighted ball from Gargan to De Ro. He was the one that turned that moment around from defense to offense.

Im not sure one pass makes it for me, I didnt think much of him going forward. That doesnt mean it isn't there, but one play doesn't mean he is a forward thinking player. He was brought on to keep a defensive shape and that itself doesn't mean he isnt effective in the counter attack. But weighted between the two, I think he is more of a defensive player who can help produce a counter, but not someone who generates during the run of play.

Also, I think Tyrone Marshall had a lot to do with the goal, he simply passed the ball to the wrong guy. Hopefully, it will win people over to my belief we are better off without him, now and long term.

sweetlemon69
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
;996252']Good game, but horrible performance. The weather was horrendous and the game was sooooo poor I started to notice some of the banner we have on the sidelines. I know I saw a banner for "Carlsberg", but then opposite of that I saw a small banner for "Frosted Flakes".

Easily, the best formation this year. 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 (Diamond):

--------------------------------Frei-----------------------------------
Usanov-----------Attakora---------------Cann--------------Hscanovics
-------------------------------Saric-----------------------------------
DeGuzman----------------------------------------------------LeBrocca
----------------------------DeRosario----------------------------------
-----------------White-------------------Barrett-----------------------

Notes:

(1)Barrett, was subbed off for Gargan which made the formation a 4-4-1-1.
(2)LeBrocca, was subbed off for Cronin(finally).
(3)DeRosario was subbed off for gabe gala, which made the formation a 4-1-4-1.

* Very good use of the subs today.

Negatives: The only minus we had in this formation was Saric playing as a defensive midfielder, which I knew was asking for trouble and I was sure he was going to get carded or yanked.

Positives: DeRosario was playing in his more natural position and he was leathal and created opportunities. DeGuzman played well as a right midfielder which I dont mind because it gives us cover for Usanov. LeBrocca played on the opposite side covering for Hscanovics which was a smart move also. The only liability we had like I said was Saric in the middle infront of Cann and Attakora. My question is why didnt Cronin start in place of Saric?

Gabe Gala, also played which was interesting and pleasing to see since he is rumoured to be on his way out. I think he secured his place on the team by getting playing time today.

Ratings:

Frei- 7

Usanov- 7
Attakora- 8
Cann- 7
Hscanovics- 7

DeGuzman- 8
LeBrocca- 7
Saric- 7, he did barely enough.
DeRosario- 8
Gargan- 7
Cronin- 7
Gala- 7

O.B.W.- 7
Barrett- 7

*Just one question I need answered, Where's Ibrahim? I know he wasnt needed today and you would want O.B.W. to be a more confident player, but theres still a few instances where Ibrahim could be a usefull substitute.

LOL Frei getting 7. What's it take in your books for a keeper to get at least a 9? This win was key to him.

rocker
04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Im not sure one pass makes it for me, I didnt think much of him going forward. That doesnt mean it isn't there, but one play doesn't mean he is a forward thinking player. He was brought on to keep a defensive shape and that itself doesn't mean he isnt effective in the counter attack. But weighted between the two, I think he is more of a defensive player who can help produce a counter, but not someone who generates during the run of play.

Also, I think Tyrone Marshall had a lot to do with the goal, he simply passed the ball to the wrong guy. Hopefully, it will win people over to my belief we are better off without him, now and long term.

Like I said, he made more than one good pass in the game. Twice he made other very good passes forward but his teammates didn't take advantage. He also made a good run near the end right in front of my seats, but again his teammates didn't take advantage. I thought he added a lot of energy to the team and was a perfect sub.

On White's goal, sure there was a mistake on defense there.. but that happened almost *at midfield*. The screwup didn't happen at the 18 yard box or something. Gargan gains control, and you see De Ro start to sprint. Gargan identifies De Ro's run instantly, and makes a long leading pass perfectly weighted for De Ro to run onto. A lot had to happen to get to goal, and Gargan started it off.

I'd give him a 7 for what he did in the game on Sunday.

J .
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Like I said, he made more than one good pass in the game. Twice he made other very good passes forward but his teammates didn't take advantage. He also made a good run near the end right in front of my seats, but again his teammates didn't take advantage. I thought he added a lot of energy to the team and was a perfect sub.

On White's goal, sure there was a mistake on defense there.. but that happened almost *at midfield*. The screwup didn't happen at the 18 yard box or something. Gargan gains control, and you see De Ro start to sprint. Gargan identifies De Ro's run instantly, and makes a long leading pass perfectly weighted for De Ro to run onto. A lot had to happen to get to goal, and Gargan started it off.

I'd give him a 7 for what he did in the game on Sunday.

We're both very close in terms of his rating, we both agree he turned out to be a solid sub, I guess the difference was what we saw in terms of his style.

For me, I think what he's done was from a counter as opposed to when the team is controlling the run of play. With him on the ball, I dont expect much. I really only saw the one real nice pass and it seemed to be that it was from Marshall being a bonehead and out of position. However, I hope he continues to fit more with your analysis as opposed to my view of him being a player to defend a lead.

Ontario Arab
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Good performance..........things seem to be coming together. Saric however is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Cronin should be starting.