PDA

View Full Version : TFC executive: "We're not an expansion team any more. We need to be competitive"

djcuse
04-23-2010, 04:40 PM
TFC executive: "We're not an expansion team any more. We need to be competitive" (http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=319169)

Cashcleaner
04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Oh great. Tom Anselmi agrees with us. I'm sure he'll whip his staff into shape and make the necessary changes to set our ship right. :rolleyes:

Whoop
04-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Problem is, aside from gassing Mo, what would it take us to get into the playoffs this year AND continue to be competitive for seasons to come?

JDG
04-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Oh great. Tom Anselmi agrees with us. I'm sure he'll whip his staff into shape and make the necessary changes to set our ship right. :rolleyes:

He's a smart man, and as such I'm hoping he sees that this team represents a very real opportunity for MLSE to add some luster to their heavily tarnished image.
It is in their interest to turn this team around ASAP. If they can manage to do good things this year, they can recover from the pessimism that has settled in among the supporters.

Beach_Red
04-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Problem is, aside from gassing Mo, what would it take us to get into the playoffs this year AND continue to be competitive for seasons to come?

Never mind seasons to come - they could get a big-time DP right now. Even someone at the end of his career fr the rest of this season would make a huge difference.

volunteer
04-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Management has placed its faith in those systems to help Toronto
FC avoid becoming the first team in league history to miss the
playoffs in each of its first four seasons.

sweet, TFC still has a chance to break an MLS record this year

billyfly
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM
I wonder what its like to monitor the Internet boards and see post after post and thread after thread calling you an idiot.

So tell us, how does it feel Parkdale?

DOMIN8R
04-23-2010, 05:46 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/799540--perkins-toronto-sports-fans-patience-could-be-running-out?bn=1

Still, anyone should be able to detect a pattern here: Whatever the intentions of upper management and the board, or whatever they have done lately to reverse the flow of these statistics, the supply of patience simply cannot be endless. Maybe Johnston has figured out it won’t necessarily be granted his team any longer; the soccer fans, having seen the proprietor’s blueprint from hockey and basketball, have an idea of what’s coming and wish to register their protest early.

canadian_bhoy
04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't care what people on the board say, I like Tom Anselmi. He wants to win, he wants to put TFC in a position to do that. He trusts Mo, but he's slowly becoming more football savy. I think the club is now realizing the major change that needs to made.

DOMIN8R
04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
^^^ You're right. Tom will probably resign? That's what you meant right?

Facetious.

zamperina
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a feeling that TFC will set the new record of MLS playoff futility...

DOMIN8R
04-23-2010, 09:29 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/fans-still-waiting-on-toronto-fc/article1545379/

Management has placed its faith in those systems to help Toronto FC avoid becoming the first team in league history to miss the playoffs in each of its first four seasons. Real Salt Lake, the only other team to miss the post-season in its first three seasons, finally qualified in season No. 4.

FluSH
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't care what people on the board say, I like Tom Anselmi. He wants to win, he wants to put TFC in a position to do that. He trusts Mo, but he's slowly becoming more football savy. I think the club is now realizing the major change that needs to made.

+1...

DichioTFC
04-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Never mind seasons to come - they could get a big-time DP right now. Even someone at the end of his career fr the rest of this season would make a huge difference.

That would be equivalent to throwing buckets of water on a forest fire. We need solid change. Besides, that wouldn't work because of the salary requirements. We dont have $400K under the cap (apparently) to make something like that happen.

We need change in the FO (either with personnel or attitude), make the change trickle down through intrinsic benefits to the players.

I want to like Anselmi, but I have a feeling he's selling out MoJo to save his own ass. In the end, the buck stops with Peddie. Since Peddie doesn't know whats going on, responsibility lies with Anselmi. But of course, Anselmi has been successful on the business side of things and thats priority one.

All I hope is that the players and FO act professionally for the rest of the season, get the 8th spot (which will make us lose to Columbus in Columbus and riot at Columbus) and flush Mo out.

If Anselmi truly does read the message boards hear this loud and clear:

When you make the changes, do it properly so we have a dynasty, not a one and out winner.

TFCRegina
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
That would be equivalent to throwing buckets of water on a forest fire. We need solid change. Besides, that wouldn't work because of the salary requirements. We dont have $400K under the cap (apparently) to make something like that happen.

We need change in the FO (either with personnel or attitude), make the change trickle down through intrinsic benefits to the players.

I want to like Anselmi, but I have a feeling he's selling out MoJo to save his own ass. In the end, the buck stops with Peddie. Since Peddie doesn't know whats going on, responsibility lies with Anselmi. But of course, Anselmi has been successful on the business side of things and thats priority one.

All I hope is that the players and FO act professionally for the rest of the season, get the 8th spot (which will make us lose to Columbus in Columbus and riot at Columbus) and flush Mo out.

If Anselmi truly does read the message boards hear this loud and clear:

When you make the changes, do it properly so we have a dynasty, not a one and out winner.

Well, we technically only need 325k or so under the cap. :P

We shed Guevara, he was pulling down 300 grand, we shed some of Robbo's big salary, we signed a bunch of guys on the cheap. We should have cap space...if we don't, it's Mo's fault, and Mo should go.

If we don't make the Champions League, he should go then and Preki should get promoted. Regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not, he [Mo] should go at the end of the season. He's mismanaged this team into oblivion and the fact that we had to undertake a rebuilding job in year 4, after three building years, should be enough to fire him.

ag futbol
04-23-2010, 10:31 PM
pla·cate -–verb (used with object),-cat·ed, -cat·ing.
to appease or pacify, esp. by concessions or conciliatory gestures: to placate an outraged citizenry.

I'd say that about sums it up.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Based on what???

Tom's work with the other MLSE franchises???

He's becoming more "football savy"??? How??? By reading books and watching GOL TV???

Next you'll be telling us Richard is becoming more "hockey savy" by watching the hockey playoffs!

ilikemusic
04-23-2010, 11:33 PM
If only Anselmi were in some kind of position to affect change.

tfc2007
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Anselmi just wants to make sure his ass is covered.

Damien
04-23-2010, 11:44 PM
This is Anselmi's warning to Mo.... win now, or else!

Let the countdown begin!

Yagbod
04-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I met Tom twice and both times he impressed me with his passion for the team. The first time he asked me about the final game last year. I told him it sucked, but I had a great time that year, my first seeing every home game live. He almost seemed pissed that I was not expressing my outrage. He sounded like a fan, he was really angry at the players.

My impression from the article was that he was threatening Mo, backing the supporters.

Toronto_Bhoy
04-24-2010, 12:18 AM
What a minute here...let's base Tom's performance on results...

As COO and Executive Vice President of MLSE including the Leafs, Raptors and TFC you would grade this guy's performance with an:

A...B...C...D...or...F?

Three professional sports franchises with record profits and ZERO playoff appearances in how many seasons?

As a business man, Tom gets a B+...what does Mo get as a business man? Does he warrant a B...full house? Great ROI? Profit (well) beyond expectation?

How do you rate the two based on field performance...Mo on TFC...Tom on the Leafs, Raptors and TFC?

Roogsy
04-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Really? A bonafide news website makes spelling mistakes like this?

"We set the sites on last year, and we missed it by a point."

It's sights. S I G H T S

When it happens on an internet board, it's not big deal. But when the media can't get their spelling straight, it's ridiculous, and it happens more and more every day.

twistedchinaman
04-24-2010, 12:54 AM
He's a smart man, and as such I'm hoping he sees that this team represents a very real opportunity for MLSE to add some luster to their heavily tarnished image.
It is in their interest to turn this team around ASAP. If they can manage to do good things this year, they can recover from the pessimism that has settled in among the supporters.

That's the thing -- Mo was hired because they thought he knew what he was doing. Four years later Mo is still playing the same card and Anselmi's now catching on...this could have a grand impact on Johnston's ass.

There's a Chinese folk tale about a guy who tries to steal a bell from a monastery by breaking it into pieces, thinking no one will hear. Mo is that bell thief -- we're the loud bell rings, let's hope the villagers hear.

AL-MO
04-24-2010, 01:13 AM

The jury is still out on Anselmi IMO.

He is not a football guy, that is for sure. I think it will take a long time for him to become 'football savy'.

footballcanada
04-24-2010, 02:54 AM
MLSE hates sports.

Keystone FC
04-24-2010, 03:49 AM
What I want, other than a winning franchise, is for the top brass to start making statements that have some weight to it. To say:
"That honeymoon is over," Anselmi said. "I mean, we're expected to be a competitive team now. We set the sites on last year, and we missed it by a point." And:
"The expectations are going up, and they're totally entitled to be thinking that way," said Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer with MLSE. "It's time. It's time that we're a competitive team. We're not an expansion team any more. We need to be competitive."
Is all neat and gives me a warm fuzzy, but I want there to be some sort of sum of all this. I want a: 'If we miss tha playoffs TFC WILL have a new FO Manager.' or "If we miss the playoffs TFC WILL have 2 DPS by the start of PRE SEASON.'
I want something I can sink my teeth into. I want some substance among the whip topping to make it worth a slice.

ilikemusic
04-24-2010, 04:47 AM
I am slightly concerned that he appears to be implying one extra point last season would be enough to term this club 'competitive'.

Brooker
04-24-2010, 05:03 AM
wait.... they just realized we're not an expansion team anymore?

better late than never. :)

twistedchinaman
04-24-2010, 05:16 AM
wait.... they just realized we're not an expansion team anymore?

better late than never. :)

:lol:

koryo
04-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Talk is cheap. Before we can become competitive we need a side that can actually play decent football.

Beach_Red
04-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Talk is cheap. Before we can become competitive we need a side that can actually play decent football.

So, what can be done right now?

A new GM now isn't going to score any goals for the team. A new GM isn't going to keep any goals out of our net. A new GM now will have the exact same team for the rest of the season.

But the league changed the DP rule so TFC can take advantage of that right now.

All they have to do is spend some money.

drewski
04-24-2010, 08:57 AM
What a minute here...let's base Tom's performance on results...

As COO and Executive Vice President of MLSE including the Leafs, Raptors and TFC you would grade this guy's performance with an:

A...B...C...D...or...F?

in regard to the Leafs and Raptors, I give Tom a good grade because since he came in, they've brought in people, Burke (proven Cup winner) & Colangelo (2x exec of the year), who have proven experience who should be making winners. Can't really ask for him to do more beyond that can you?

drewski
04-24-2010, 09:00 AM

A new GM now isn't going to score any goals for the team. A new GM isn't going to keep any goals out of our net. A new GM now will have the exact same team for the rest of the season.

could be the wrong time for a new DP.

Mo is on his way out, Preki could be on shaky ground given GM's usually like to bring in their own coaches. So, bringing in a DP under those 2 could prove to be a waste of money cause they might not fit into the image of the team whoever replaces Mo (and maybe Preki)

Batman
04-24-2010, 09:49 AM

But a new GM will also be here long enough to enjoy or suffer the results of his signings. He won't be a lame duck.

If Mo signs a DP now, he might not be around long, and we could be stuck with his signing, we'll beyond his tenure.

I think he should be ditched now, and the new GM take care of future signings.

ag futbol
04-24-2010, 09:59 AM

But the league changed the DP rule so TFC can take advantage of that right now..
So who do you want to get your dp, the new guy or our meddling leader? We need somebody in place early so this team doesn't become yet another off season cluster fuck.

And if someone like Angel can't single handedly save NY from a bad year, I doubt there is a player we can realistically sign on earth who will do the same for us.

TFCRegina
04-24-2010, 10:00 AM
That's the thing -- Mo was hired because they thought he knew what he was doing. Four years later Mo is still playing the same card and Anselmi's now catching on...this could have a grand impact on Johnston's ass.

There's a Chinese folk tale about a guy who tries to steal a bell from a monastery by breaking it into pieces, thinking no one will hear. Mo is that bell thief -- we're the loud bell rings, let's hope the villagers hear.

I believe if this happened in modern times, we'd have a picture of the newspaper reporting it in the Interets thread.

Beach_Red
04-24-2010, 10:26 AM
So who do you want to get your dp, the new guy or our meddling leader? We need somebody in place early so this team doesn't become yet another off season cluster fuck.

And if someone like Angel can't single handedly save NY from a bad year, I doubt there is a player we can realistically sign on earth who will do the same for us.

Oh, for sure they'll get it wrong, sign the wrong guy and pay him too much. This GM, the next GM, we won't see much difference. The problems are so much deeper. Look, everyone seems to agree they've made excellent choices in the guys running their other teams but so far there haven't been any results. Of course, people will say, well, it's only been a year or two, be patient, both guys took over huge messes. And that's what we'll get from the next GM of TFC, too.

But soon we'll start to complain that just as players seem to do better when they go to other teams management also does better with other teams. So, maybe the approach taken isn't the best one. This team has been making a lot of profit for three years, they should reinvest more into the team. Make a bold statement.

Could it be any worse than what they're doing now?

Redcoe15
04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm always wary of anyone at the top of the MLSE hierarchy talking sports. But Anselmi's not wrong about the state of this franchise on field. There's a very real possibility of TFC not making their first playoff appearance in their fourth year in the league. Something that has never happened in MLS's history. That's dowright, shockingly embarassing given how this league functions and the support this club receives. This all falls squarely on Mo Johnston's shoulders. Anselmi's got a sword over Mo's head and it's only a matter of time before it drops.

Beach_Red
04-24-2010, 11:48 AM
This line really stands out:

"The expectations are going up, and they're totally entitled to be thinking that way," said Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer with MLSE. "It's time. It's time that we're a competitive team. We're not an expansion team any more. We need to be competitive."

Most people felt that way after the first season. People expected to be a competitive team by then. No one likes the Seattle comparison, but obviously the guys running that team decided to be competitive right away and not even think like an expansion team. Now Philadelphia is talking about signing a DP in their first season so they want to be competitive right away and not think like an expansion team.

So, exactly whose "expectations are going up" now? Is this MLSE telling us that until now they didn't really expect to be competitive? Did they make decisions based on the idea that they were an expansion team and not going to be competitive for years?

MFG1
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
"The fans are incredibly good to us," Radosavljevic said. "I've said from the first day that they deserve some success, and we're trying to give them that."

This is my favorite line, a month ago he was saying pretty much if the fans dont stop being so hard on the players he was going to cut them off from the media, anlong with himself too. basically we are expecting to much. The whole thing is a mess and it sounds like there was a team meeiting to try and win us back. DAMAGE CONTROL!!! and that's it. Lip Service.

wzhxvy
04-25-2010, 09:39 AM
For those of you with crushes on Ansalami because he comes out and says a few words to pacify people..remember he is the genius that signed MO before the end of the season last year and kept it a secret. The genius wanted to lock up Mo before the end of the season where he could assess results as if MO had a line of suiters waiting to hire him. So as far as I am concerned he is a part of the problem until he demonstrates he is part of the solution.

Beach_Red
04-25-2010, 09:44 AM
^ Well, even Anselmi is just doing what he's told. This Vancouver org chart should be a huge concern for TFC fans. Where Vancouver hired three experienced guys to run the team, MLSE hired one - and probably the cheapest of them all.

Chances are not one of those three guys hired by Vancouver would have taken the Toronto job as it was. Not many profesionals would have.

Now that the media is finally on this story maybe we'll finally start to see investment in this team come close to what it deserves to be.

MFG1
04-25-2010, 09:48 AM
^ And thats what I think scares people the most, Why would anyone take a job, from a company that is this disorganized and Knee jerk right across their three clubs(raps Leafs,TFC) and expect any success? They way they treat the players as well I dont get why anyone would accept any amount of money.
keep this shit up and the hard sell wont be playing in "Canada", it will be for this sad sack organization.

Beach_Red
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
^ On the other hand, if you can stand the outrage from the supporters the organization asks very little of you - it's not like you have to win or anything.

I imagine expectations placed on an executive with the team are discussed at the hiring interview and it's not about what it takes to win a championship it's about how much will it cost to be competitive? What's the lowest amount of overhead we can get away with? These guys are petty good at finding the sweet spot.

It's business, right?

NOW they're talking about increasing expectations which sounds like an admission that until now expectations were low. Too bad that wasn't refelcted in the prices.

MFG1
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
^All I got out of that is raising ticket prices will happen again this year regardless of the outcome HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Increasing expectations=increasing ticket prices! . Sorry we had to in order to attract top shelf talent!

MFG1
04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
sweet, TFC still has a chance to break an MLS record this year

They should put the number 4 on the wall of honor;

Could break this record of 4 seasons no playoffs;
It was after 4 games in 2007 that we finally scored a goal;
Preki is our 4th coach in 4 years;
August 4th '09 we were knocked out of Concacaf.
Nuuuummmmmbbbbeeeerr!!!!! 4 Nick Garcia!!!!!!!!!
Marco? Velez!! Number 4!!!!!!
April 4, 09' 0-2 home field loss to expansion side Seattle Sounders!!!!
Toronto's back 4 on the pitch
The offseason lasts 4 months, thats a lot of time to rest on your laurels, Mo.

I could go on all day I bet

jloome
04-25-2010, 12:40 PM
^ Well, even Anselmi is just doing what he's told. This Vancouver org chart should be a huge concern for TFC fans. Where Vancouver hired three experienced guys to run the team, MLSE hired one - and probably the cheapest of them all.

Chances are not one of those three guys hired by Vancouver would have taken the Toronto job as it was. Not many profesionals would have.

Now that the media is finally on this story maybe we'll finally start to see investment in this team come close to what it deserves to be.

I've had some experience dealing with sports executives and you have to understand, their ability to be silo'd -- snowed by the wrong guy into not listening or paying attention to anyone else -- is legendary.

It's highly likely that the reason Anselmi is intimating right now that he's taking some cues from the message boards is because he only just started reading them.

volunteer
04-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I could go on all day I bet

tfc has plenty of fail to go around:hump:

Beach_Red
04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
I've had some experience dealing with sports executives and you have to understand, their ability to be silo'd -- snowed by the wrong guy into not listening or paying attention to anyone else -- is legendary.

It's highly likely that the reason Anselmi is intimating right now that he's taking some cues from the message boards is because he only just started reading them.

Sure, but there's a difference between a guy being "silo'd" and a guy on his own.

The way MLSE set up TFC is indefensible - especially when so many tickets were sold.

Now that it's moved past the message boards and into the press maybe we'll see more response. Let's hope the days of blaming the scapegoat are past, too, and MLSE will standup and take some responsibiity.

Carts
04-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Perhaps Tom's harsh words in the media lit a fire under everyone's ass, from the exec, to the coaches, to the players, and we got the 3pts today as a result from inspired play...

Whatever the reason, the boys played hard for all 90+ minutes, and took their chances when they presented themselves (a couple of giveaways, but a couple of solid finishes to answer with)...

Maybe a few public words were well placed public words to try and help turn things around...

Either way, big win!

Carts...

boban
04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
in regard to the Leafs and Raptors, I give Tom a good grade because since he came in, they've brought in people, Burke (proven Cup winner) & Colangelo (2x exec of the year), who have proven experience who should be making winners. Can't really ask for him to do more beyond that can you?
He was around for the JFJ and Babcock hiring. Not to mention making Quinn both GM and coach even further back.
Like the rest of the suits he gets an F!!