PDA

View Full Version : Giving Conway the start...

Stugatzo
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
I've always thought Frei is a good goalie with tons of potential, but I think he was thrust into the role of starter too soon.
Many goals against him are not his fault, but certainly some are.
I'd like to see Conway get a start.
Rationale is simple...the experience factor.
When my English side, Wolves, acquired Marcus Hahnemann from Reading it was as a backup to a younger, hot-shot keeper.
After a few poor goals were allowed in, the switch was made and the experienced keeper has won out as the regular starter.
I'd like to see what Conway can do, he's potentially more than a "backup".
Discuss...

Carts
04-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Preki might start Conway simply to shake things up one of these days...

Carts...

Oldtimer
04-23-2010, 10:43 AM
I think he might start Conway against Montreal.

Pachuco
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Nah, can't agree with that. I can't blindly recommend to bench a player if I have no idea what the other guy can do. I don't think Frei has done anything to lose his starting role and I don't think he's the problem at all. So unless Preki sees something in practice that I can't see I'm not sure why Conway would ever get the start.

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2010, 10:46 AM
I think he might start Conway against Montreal.

Agreed. That would be the appropriate time to give him some playing time...

__wowza
04-23-2010, 10:53 AM
i agree, if you're not in top form you don't get the start.
it says alot that they're willing to chance someone else over you.

Oldtimer
04-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Preki doesn't value the Voyageurs Cup -- he thinks it's like the U.S. Open Cup, which it's not (because it has a CCL spot attached). His attitude at the press conference announcing this years competition showed it. He only cares about the league.

Given that, I expect a some bench players to be given some field time, possibly including Conway.

I expect Vancouver to take away the VC this year -- I hope I'm wrong and that our reserves can beat these USSF-D2 sides.

Brooker
04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Preki doesn't value the Voyageurs Cup -- he thinks it's like the U.S. Open Cup, which it's not (because it has a CCL spot attached). His attitude at the press conference announcing this years competition showed it. He only cares about the league.

Let's atleast wait to see who he starts before we say Preki doesn't give a shit about the NCC... an assumption based purely on a presser where he gave conflicting opinions.

TFCRegina
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Given that, I expect a some bench players to be given some field time, possibly including Conway.

I expect Vancouver to take away the VC this year -- I hope I'm wrong and that our reserves can beat these USSF-D2 sides.

Yeah, especially after he said it was 'great' that people cared about the competition up here. And that he looked forward to it.

Definitely doesn't give a shit, not with such anti NCC rhetoric.

Bluenose13
04-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Let's atleast wait to see who he starts before we say Preki doesn't give a shit about the NCC... an assumption based purely on a presser where he gave conflicting opinions.
I agree.....I didn't get the impression that he doesn't care about it. The club already has ticket sales for the league games, I am sure they would love the extra revenue that would come from CCL games. Also the players seemed really into it last year.

Don Julio
04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm quite sure if Preki didn't care about it in the beginning, he's been instructed by now that it could mean additional games and revenue for the club, and now cares about it.

rocker
04-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Clarification: US Open Cup winner does get a CCL spot. That's how DC got in for 2009-2010 and how Sounders get in for the upcoming tourney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_CONCACAF_Champions_League

I think it's just that in the US the US Open Cup is not as valued by the soccer culture, and the league pays the bills, so no wonder Preki wouldn't care (and in the US, Preki could get into CCL through the league too in a couple different ways, so the US Open Cup was not the only way). When he was with Chivas, he basically had 4 ways of getting into the CCL and 3 of them were side products of doing well in the league. Doing well in the league and playoffs would mean CCL entry.

Unlike MLS clubs, TFC only has one way into the CCL, so obviously it would mean more to TFC to win the NCC.

Pachuco
04-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Clarification: US Open Cup winner does get a CCL spot. That's how DC got in for 2009-2010 and how Sounders get in for the upcoming tourney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_CONCACAF_Champions_League

I think it's just that in the US the US Open Cup is not as valued by the soccer culture, and the league pays the bills, so no wonder Preki wouldn't care (and in the US, Preki could get into CCL through the league too in a couple different ways, so the US Open Cup was not the only way). When he was with Chivas, he basically had 4 ways of getting into the CCL and 3 of them were side products of doing well in the league. Doing well in the league and playoffs would mean CCL entry.

Unlike MLS clubs, TFC only has one way into the CCL, so obviously it would mean more to TFC to win the NCC.

Yup, you make a very good point!

Darlofletch
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
wouldn't we ( or vancouver or montreal eventually) get in by winning the mls cup or supporters shield? do the mls qualification options not apply for canadian teams?

BuSaPuNk
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
wouldn't we ( or vancouver or montreal eventually) get in by winning the mls cup or supporters shield? do the mls qualification options not apply for canadian teams?

MLS qualifications don't apply to the canadian clubs because of the NCC.

www.settingthetable.info/home.asp (http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/www.settingthetable.info/home.asp)

I myself would start Conway on Sunday and put Frei in against MTL. Frei played well against MTL last year. Conway knows MLS opposition more than Frei.

rocker
04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
ya, I guess because the CCL spots are allocated according to country, the USSF wouldn't want TFC having a US-allocated spot.

Mikey
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
As long as neither of them has Garcia in front of them.....

ManUtd4ever
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Either way, our goalkeeping is as strong as it's ever been. If TFC had that kind of depth throughout the roster they would be a serious contender this year...

Oldtimer
04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

That's actually a new thing, throughout much of Preki's reign at Chivas, the USOC was essentially meaningless.
They added CCL qualification to make clubs more interested in it.