PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday,Apr.22

denime
04-22-2010, 05:24 AM
Mornin'

Cup contested on Sportsnet (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2010/04/21/nutrilite_canadian_championship_rsn/)

FC not laying blame at Gerba's door (http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/04/21/13672776-qmi.html)

'We wish Gerba all the best': TFC coach Preki (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2010/04/21/sp-ali-gerba.html)

Johnston asks TFC fans for patience (http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/799055--johnston-asks-tfc-fans-for-patience)

Preki media scrum (http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=1815)-Video

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

sidvan
04-22-2010, 05:27 AM
mornin'

Sunshine - :facepalm:

GBV
04-22-2010, 05:41 AM
>>De Guzman took full responsibility for the “bone-headed error” that led to a key Colorado goal.

>>On a set piece, de Guzman found himself in the wall — even though he, by his own admission, was supposed to be outside of it — and inexplicably jumped out of the way of the ball, allowing it to sail past a shocked Frei.

>>“It was a miscommunication, but a lack of leadership on my part,” de Guzman said.

So you're not apposed to be in the wall. But there you are.
You know what to do. Or what not to do.
Boneheaded is about right.

Wagner
04-22-2010, 06:04 AM
mornin'

Sunshine - :facepalm:

22?? no way!!

Technorgasm
04-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Seriously. . .a lot of us are calling for MO's HEad , but Preki is just as much to blame for the shape of this years squad than anyone.. . . . both in game, player selection, formations and shape during play come down to him. . .

Can we say that his decisions about player movement have not negatively effected this team?

How he is not being vilified with the same fervent pessimism is beyond me. .

mastermixer
04-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Seriously. . .a lot of us are calling for MO's HEad , but Preki is just as much to blame for the shape of this years squad than anyone.. . . . both in game, player selection, formations and shape during play come down to him. . .

Can we say that his decisions about player movement have not negatively effected this team?

How he is not being vilified with the same fervent pessimism is beyond me. .

What bothers me is what he says during the interviews... He doesn't sound any more confident in this team than we do. I hear a lot of "hopefully we will get there"
hopefully is not a positive answer from the leader of this team.

keem-o-sabi
04-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Coed Ladies 1 (http://coedmagazine.com/2010/04/21/miss-coed-candiceu-galde/46f1326d76aec/) and 2 (http://www.starnow.com/sheridanbovell/photos/#top)

daner90
04-22-2010, 07:23 AM
"We wish Ali all the best," Preki told reporters after TFC's Wednesday morning practice. "He's not here with us anymore. We gave him a [chance] and we figured he wasn't going to be in our plans … we wish him the best."

That is such horse shit, Ali did not get a chance with Preki at the helm, he basically played in the games in Florida and was done. I am starting to really not trust Preki based on so much that is being said. I don't see how this team can start moving in a positive direction.

I_AM_CANADIAN
04-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Gotta love the Sun and fabricating the SSGs' ages out of thin air.

Krasno.pL.
04-22-2010, 07:55 AM
You Dont Think She's 32?

David_Oliveira
04-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Don't know why people are so up in arms with Ali being gone. Last year people were critisizing Mo for signing him because he was "too slow" or he was "out of shape". Even though I hate Mo, it seems with some people he can't do anything right even when he does something people ask for. Lets face it, after a few exhibition games, you can see who is in shape and who is not. Ali was not in shape when he came in and wasn't when he left. It doesn't matter what he says at this point. I think this was the right move. FO just handled it the wrong way

Miko
04-22-2010, 08:00 AM
22?? no way!!

As they say, it ain't the years it's the mileage.

scooter
04-22-2010, 08:06 AM
mornin d

big game on sunday cause seattle are a good club but a win would set things up nicely for tik tac tabernak who the fucks the impact

DangerRed
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
“We’re trying to build a strong, young core group of players here,” Johnston said in an interview. “We’ve got a new coach and we’re looking for a squad that balances experience and youth.

And yet we continue to be heavily linked to Dickov. Calling Dickov young is like saying it's very sunny out at 2:00 a.m.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Don't know why people are so up in arms with Ali being gone. Last year people were critisizing Mo for signing him because he was "too slow" or he was "out of shape". Even though I hate Mo, it seems with some people he can't do anything right even when he does something people ask for. Lets face it, after a few exhibition games, you can see who is in shape and who is not. Ali was not in shape when he came in and wasn't when he left. It doesn't matter what he says at this point. I think this was the right move. FO just handled it the wrong way

While I agree, everything I heard around Ali going into preseason was that he was in the best shape of his career, but was carrying a knock/small injury. Could be that didn't allow him to go 100% in training, but more likely, I think he just doesn't fit Preki's plans. Preki has never really used a poacher-type striker from what I can recall. It's always hard running, hard working forwards who are willing to get back as well as attack.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 08:18 AM
“We’re trying to build a strong, young core group of players here,” Johnston said in an interview. “We’ve got a new coach and we’re looking for a squad that balances experience and youth.

And yet we continue to be heavily linked to Dickov. Calling Dickov young is like saying it's very sunny out at 2:00 a.m.

No offense, but look at our squad. It's 90% young or mid-twenties players. Having an experienced journeyman type forward in Dickov, would seriously help some of our kids in terms of both on the field and off the field skills.

I'd love to have Dickov here, even if it's not goals he's contributing.

mdc 77
04-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Like the fact that DeGuzman seems to know he isn't playing well, and realizes he seriously messed up Sunday.

Now lets see how he responds.

David_Oliveira
04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
While I agree, everything I heard around Ali going into preseason was that he was in the best shape of his career, but was carrying a knock/small injury. Could be that didn't allow him to go 100% in training, but more likely, I think he just doesn't fit Preki's plans. Preki has never really used a poacher-type striker from what I can recall. It's always hard running, hard working forwards who are willing to get back as well as attack.

I hadn't heard that he was in good shape besides him saying it himself tbh. But I will trust you on that. If he didn't fit into the coaches plans so be it. This happens all over the world. A player doesn't fit into the coaches plans and gets moved out or loaned. Big deal life goes on. Ali wasn't a good poacher, didn't have speed and wasn't creative. IMHO this was a great move by the FO.

David_Oliveira
04-22-2010, 08:20 AM
No offense, but look at our squad. It's 90% young or mid-twenties players. Having an experienced journeyman type forward in Dickov, would seriously help some of our kids in terms of both on the field and off the field skills.

+100
Experience Counts for alot. Look at what Dichio did. as soon as he hit the field the team played alot better

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 08:22 AM
I hadn't heard that he was in good shape besides him saying it himself tbh. But I will trust you on that. If he didn't fit into the coaches plans so be it. This happens all over the world. A player doesn't fit into the coaches plans and gets moved out or loaned. Big deal life goes on. Ali wasn't a good poacher, didn't have speed and wasn't creative. IMHO this was a great move by the FO.

Agreed. I was semi-excited to see Ali come, but when I realized we weren't changing our game to adapt with the players we had at hand, I knew it was a lost cause. Forcing Ali to 'dump n chase' is going to get you nowhere.

That said, having Ali on our squad this year probably wasn't going to help do anything but fill cap space, so again, I'm fairly happy with the way it turned out. Sorry Ali, wish we could have fit you in... but life goes on.

TFC Cityboy
04-22-2010, 08:29 AM

agreed 100% as stated many times on these boards before

ManUtd4ever
04-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Dickov could have a substantial short term impact with the Reds IF someone up front could finish the chances he creates. I fear that his approach to the game would be wasted with the TFC roster as it stands today...

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Dickov could have a substantial short term impact with the Reds IF someone up front could finish the chances he creates. I fear that his approach to the game would be wasted with the TFC roster as it stands today...

So then Dichov and Dero up front it is. If he's really going to create that many chances for Dero then surely we'll score goals all kinds. Havind said that, it's the lack of service they are going to get which is going to be our next problem.

gtaguy
04-22-2010, 08:52 AM

and knowing Mo he would probably give him a guaranteed 4 year contract to boot..

:picard:

T.Reis
04-22-2010, 08:59 AM

BINGO!

Lucky Strike
04-22-2010, 08:59 AM

I'd agree. I was excited when Gerba arrived due to his record with the NT, but he was a big (literally and figuratively) let down. A 1 in 11 strike rate isn't good enough at any level.

Oblio2
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM
I like Dickov but he's as young as the Sunshine Girl today

nascarguy
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I like Dickov but he's as young as the Sunshine Girl today
lol:hump::drinking:

BeerBaron95
04-22-2010, 09:10 AM
LMFAO... it never fails to astound me when they seem to find these broads with such ''unique'' names.. she's hurtin' by the way.

Mornin' all!

Whoop
04-22-2010, 09:22 AM
22?? no way!!

LOL... they changed it to 32.

trane
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM

We have two strikers, one that is better suited to be a winger, and has shown us that he is not a goals scorer, and one that is unproven. What was the point of letting him go? Why not keep him untill a replacement was found?

Why the fuck are so many obsessing about his weight, do you want him to score goals or date him?

[ Shape is clearly important-but christ I will take a fat goal scorer, over an in shape barn misser]

Roogsy
04-22-2010, 11:00 AM

This is the problem with me. Listen, if Preki doesn't want Ali, fine. It's Preki's call. But nobody for one minute should believe the horseshit that is coming out of their mouths about Ali not being in shape. If you guys don't want to take an eye witness account (myself) into consideration, so be it. But when I saw him in February, the man looked fitter than I have ever seen him and he was looking forward to causing some damage in the league. He never got that chance. So the accusation that Ali was not in shape is pure BS, period. And the claim that he "got a chance" is also BS (what chance, he didn't play a single real game for Preki). The only theory I am buying right now is that Preki wasn't thrilled about Ali's work ethic and since it wasn't one of "his" guys, he wanted him out. We KNOW for a FACT that Preki does not like Canadian players at all and wouldn't have any on the squad if it weren't for league restrictions.

Roogsy
04-22-2010, 11:01 AM
We have two strikers, one that is better suited to be a winger, and has shown us that he is not a goals scorer, and one that is unproven. What was the point of letting him go? Why not keep him untill a replacement was found?

Why the fuck are so many obsessing about his weight, do you want him to score goals or date him?

[ Shape is clearly important-but christ I will take a fat goal scorer, over an in shape barn misser]

Word T, word. Barrett is probably the fittest guy on the team. He's a tank. It doesn't do us any good...he's useless.

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Ok this is becoming a pet peeve of mine. And yes, I agree maybe Gerba was let go a little soon. We do HAVE a striker who is very capable of scoring and his name is Dero. Please, let's stop forgetting Dero is our striker. That's where he's played mostly with us and that's where Preki likes him.

Whoop
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
But DeRo doesn't like to play there. It's not his natural position.

He shouldn't have to. He should be playing in behind a striker.

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 11:14 AM
But DeRo doesn't like to play there. It's not his natural position.

He shouldn't have to. He should be playing in behind a striker.

He's quite fine as a striker. I wouldn't move him from there while he's still scoring goals. I remember him playing in Guevara's position for one game (against COlumbus is I'm not mistaken) and I thought he had his worse game for us yet.

ManUtd4ever
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Roogsy, I respect your opinion in general but I think your opinion of Preki is unsubstantiated and premature.

It is far from fact that he has any sort of anti-Canadian bias in selecting the roster and if that was in fact the case, why the fuck would he accept the coaching position with Toronto of all clubs?!

I understand your frustration with Mo but for God's sake cut Preki some slack will ya? He deserves more than 4 games before you pass such harsh judgement don't you think?

Bob A
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
hahahaha....

Roogsy
04-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Roogsy, I respect your opinion in general but I think your opinion of Preki is unsubstantiated and premature.

It is too soon to come to final conclusions but there is sufficient information, data and evidence to begin forming an opinion in my view. Some of which is public, some of which isn't.

It is far from fact that he has any sort of anti-Canadian bias in selecting the roster and if that was in fact the case, why the fuck would he accept the coaching position with Toronto of all clubs?!

A job is a job. He didn't have one, he got offered one. Nobody else offered him work remember.

I understand your frustration with Mo but for God's sake cut Preki some slack will ya? He deserves more than 4 games before you pass such harsh judgement don't you think?

The judgement is based on what I have seen so far. Preki will have to prove otherwise because the evidence is beginning to mount against him very quickly.

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 11:40 AM

I think it has alot more to do with these things then the fact he has a bad record to start off the season:

1. Allegedly responsible for the loss of some players who were fan favorites.
2. Brings in USL caliber players to replace them. Most which seem to play the same style as guys who were already on the team. Most of which don't seem to have any skill, they just seem to run hard, that's all.
3. Isn't a very likeable guy. This shouldn't affect our opinion of him, but you know it always does.
4. Plays a defensive style of football that most people dread to watch
5. Has had no success getting past the first round of the playoffs with a playoff team he was given.
6. Had a horrendous pre-season (this shouldn't count, but it's hard to forget)
7. Continues to play Saric and played Garcia one game too long when everyone could've predicted what was going to happen.
8. Has a past of starting fights with other team's players after games.
9. Sent a player home making a guaranteed 150K and kept Garcia on the pitch.

So you may be right, it may be premature to think he's going to be a failure. But it's not premature to form an opinion on him.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Sorry Roogs, I disagree with him not liking Canadians. Why would he sign Ante Jazic and Chris Pozniak then?

I think he has no bias, just wants hard working players. Something Ali never has been.

Roogsy
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry Roogs, I disagree with him not liking Canadians. Why would he sign Ante Jazic and Chris Pozniak then?

I think he has no bias, just wants hard working players. Something Ali never has been.

Trust me Jay...I may be a douchebag hothead on the boards, but I am not completely useless. ;)

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
LOL all I'm saying is, I don't think that he has a certain bias with Canadian players. He certainly has a bias against higher paid, egotistical and one-way players though...

Dbl_D
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM

^+1
but sadly I bought his pink jersey because I thought he would turn it around... doh :facepalm:

jloome
04-22-2010, 12:24 PM
He's quite fine as a striker. I wouldn't move him from there while he's still scoring goals. I remember him playing in Guevara's position for one game (against COlumbus is I'm not mistaken) and I thought he had his worse game for us yet.

He's actually scoring at the same rate as Edson Buddle right now (1 goal for every three shots). But buddle has 22 shots, DeRo has 12.

He's not a good enough natural striker to be the number one guy up top. His numbers so far this year are an abberation; typically his shot to goal ratio is not great, and he's not a great natural finisher. He was a supersub in San Jose before being converted to midfield from striker (where he started) and was known as a big-game guy, but not an every game guy. (Mind you, think they had Ching and Donovan up top.)

But he does create chances well and open up space, which is why he's such a good central attacking midfielder (hole player, playmaker, whatever you want to call it) and fills in well a striker as well.

I'll agree he's our best option right now, but that's just a sign of the scarcity of first team talent here. He shouldn't be a striker (or a winger, where it's much easier for teams to double team him without leaving too much space open defensively elsewhere.)

jloome
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM

And Kevin Harmse. (Mind you, that explains Saric!)

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Exactly J.

Sonny Cheeba
04-22-2010, 12:32 PM
what the fuck is with the SSG? does she want to look like a duck?

i hate when girls put on faces that they think are sexy. i get the feeling that they're snaggle toothed or something.

Roogsy
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
what the fuck is with the SSG? does she want to look like a duck?

i hate when girls put on faces that they think are sexy. i get the feeling that they're snaggle toothed or something.

I'd still hit it.

Then again...I am into MILFs.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Dude I like a good MILF too... but that one at the very least, is a lightswitch or bag away from being hot...

Sonny Cheeba
04-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Dude I like a good MILF too... but that one at the very least, is a lightswitch or bag away from being hot...

yeah... straight up. butterface.

Roogsy
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I do hate botox lips or whatever the hell she's done. I don't know why women do it, it looks ridiculous.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I do hate botox lips or whatever the hell she's done. I don't know why women do it, it looks ridiculous.

And nose jobs! Fuck man, most of the time it looks WAY worse than it would have if they left it. Sooooo obvious and sooooo ugly LOL

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM

What's even worse is when guys like Michael Landsberg do it ;)

keem-o-sabi
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
That is such horse shit, Ali did not get a chance with Preki at the helm, he basically played in the games in Florida and was done. I am starting to really not trust Preki based on so much that is being said. I don't see how this team can start moving in a positive direction.

Did you see the GolTV pre-season show? The dude was seriously as fat as I am. One look at him and I would have cut him.

When I owned a 4th division team in the states we expected the guys to be in better physical condition.

The guy has gone through 11 teams in 10 years and shows up looking like that? What did he do all off-season? The guy deserved to get shown the door with that lack of professionalism.

bgnewf
04-22-2010, 01:27 PM
...Did you see the GolTV pre-season show? The dude (Gerba)was seriously as fat as I am. One look at him and I would have cut him..... The guy has gone through 11 teams in 10 years and shows up looking like that? What did he do all off-season? The guy deserved to get shown the door with that lack of professionalism.

Not disagreeing with any of this.

With due respect however he was signed to a guaranteed contract by Mo. He was an asset the club did not want but the club could have traded possibly.

By sending him home in the manner in which they did TFC turned him into a toxic asset that we could never get any return on whatsoever.

So what happens? We buy him out and some or all of his guaranteed contract still counts against the cap.

Gerba may have brought this on himself but the way TFC handled it was one of the stupidest things a club with a long history of stupid has ever done.

Whoop
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Was he fat? Or too big like a linebacker?

You have one guy saying he was in good shape and another saying he was fat.

Oy.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Not disagreeing with any of this.

With due respect however he was signed to a guaranteed contract by Mo. He was an asset the club did not want but the club could have traded possibly.

By sending him home in the manner in which they did TFC turned him into a toxic asset that we could never get any return on whatsoever.

So what happens? We buy him out and some or all of his guaranteed contract still counts against the cap.

Gerba may have brought this on himself but the way TFC handled it was one of the stupidest things a club with a long history of stupid has ever done.

...or they had been trying to trade him since the end of the season last year and found no suitors, and ended up at the only viable option left.

Not saying it's true, but speculation is fun... and given that we'll probably never know the real answer, it's all pointless messageboard posting anyway! :lol:

rocker
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
He was an asset the club did not want but the club could have traded possibly.

I disagree on the notion that Gerba was an asset that TFC could get a return on. Robinson went to NY and we're still paying his salary.. and that's a guy with far more experience and respect in this league than Ali Gerba. Ronnie O went to San Jose for an allocation and a pick I seem to remember. Ronnie was a well known, highly useful, in his prime player at the time.

I think the buyout was probably the only option on a guy who was grossly overpaid journeyman international (for US teams) striker.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Was he fat? Or too big like a linebacker?

You have one guy saying he was in good shape and another saying he was fat.

Oy.

He's always been big. He is definitely thick around the midsection, but from what I heard he was in great shape physically.

Jeffro
04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Does everyone forget the ridiculous cap situation that Mo had us in going into this season? We're not rebuilding solely because of Preki. We had no choice! The absurd salaries paid down with allocation and guaranteed pay hikes left us way over the cap for this year. We shed several large salaries (Guevara, Vitti...) and still had no cap space!

Gerba just had to go, and no one was going to take his over $300k salary.

Blaming Preki for the state of the team at this point is VERY premature. Even if we won the cup last year we would have had to rebuild this year. Mo was banking on the idea that if we got into the playoffs last season, he'd get a pass for the next few.....

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I disagree on the notion that Gerba was an asset that TFC could get a return on. Robinson went to NY and we're still paying his salary.. and that's a guy with far more experience and respect in this league than Ali Gerba. Ronnie O went to San Jose for an allocation and a pick I seem to remember. Ronnie was a well known, highly useful, in his prime player at the time.

I think the buyout was probably the only option on a guy who was grossly overpaid journeyman international (for US teams) striker.

Well, if San Jose got a return for Ali Gerba's rights then surely someone else other then Mo would've paid something for Ali Gerba. What did we San Jose get for Ali? oh yeah, they DUMPED GARCIA....ARRRGHH.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Does everyone forget the ridiculous cap situation that Mo had us in going into this season? We're not rebuilding solely because of Preki. We had no choice! The absurd salaries paid down with allocation and guaranteed pay hikes left us way over the cap for this year. We shed several large salaries (Guevara, Vitti...) and still had no cap space!

Blaming Preki for the state of the team at this point is VERY premature. Even if we won the cup last year we would have had to rebuild this year. Mo was banking on the idea that if we got into the playoffs last season, he'd get a pass for the next few.....

For sure. As I said, regardless of Mo being fired going into this season or not, changes where going to be made. I'm of the opinion that at least now, Preki has been allowed to make the moves HE wanted, rather than what MO wanted.

jloome
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with Pachuco here. I think Dero's talents are more suited to playing further up the field. I like him as a striker or winger, not attacking midfielder. To me he's great at running at players and beating them one-on-one, as he still has decent speed. This creates alot of scoring chances when he plays further forward and he's shown he can finish when he's breaking through on net or when he's in reasonable proximity to the goal. At winger, he is the only player who has spread the field out for TFC at that position. He also attacks from the wing and scores when he plays that position.

He played central attacking midfielder on a few occasions last year when Guevara was absent or towards the end of the season when Cummins moved Guevara back to a more defensive role. I believe this was after the Robbo injury. To my recollection, TFC looked horrible in these games including the "Debacle in the Big Apple". I don't think Dero has the same vision of the field as a Guevara who was crafty at attracting attention and then playing through balls to strikers (who rarely finished them). I think Dero tends to try to do too much on his own when he gets the ball deep. He either tries to dribble through the whole team or takes shots from far out that tend to go way over the net. My only caveat is that if he had more dangerous players in front of him last year maybe he would have shared it more.

I think Dero favours the attacking midfielder role but my guess is that Preki will continue to use use him as a striker or winger.

You're aware that he took Houston to two titles as their attacking midfielder, not a striker or a winger, right? So, quite obviously, he's not "horrible" there.

But I'd agree that it's unlikely Preki will move him off the front line, as he seems to only favour two-way central midfielders.

JuliquE
04-22-2010, 05:00 PM

This.

You just won the internet.

trane
04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Ok this is becoming a pet peeve of mine. And yes, I agree maybe Gerba was let go a little soon. We do HAVE a striker who is very capable of scoring and his name is Dero. Please, let's stop forgetting Dero is our striker. That's where he's played mostly with us and that's where Preki likes him.

De Ro can play striker, but he is an AM, that is a better position for him, in my view. As a striker he can score 10+ but as a AM with space he can score more and create more.