PDA

View Full Version : Johnston asks TFC fans for patience

ilikemusic
04-21-2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/799055--johnston-asks-tfc-fans-for-patience

“We’re trying to build a strong, young core group of players here,” Johnston said in an interview. “We’ve got a new coach and we’re looking for a squad that balances experience and youth.

“That plan’s still same. Do we wish we had another win or two? Of course. But we’re on track.

Asked if he had a message to fans, Johnston said: “Try to be patient. We all want the same thing you do, to win.”

So there you go. Be patient people. We are "on track". I know this is essentially Mo's third attempt at a complete rebuild, but be patient.

Just because he is in his fourth year and the team is on their fourth coach, doesnt mean things arent going to plan.

:facepalm:

Whoop
04-21-2010, 08:38 PM
What fucking track?

The track to ruin?

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 08:40 PM
OMG I wish I had not seen this thread. It's ruined my night. Now I want to punch a hole in the wall.

trane
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
hahahahahhahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahhahhahahahhahah. I am sorry Roogsy, this is one again were you cry I laugh, I just cannot believe the balls on this guy. Mo is fucking unbelievable.hahahahahahahahahhahaha.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I

hate

excuses!

:hulk:

Nothing but excuses comes out of the mouth of this man.

Mo...please leave.

trane
04-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I cannot fucking believe him, he has balls, he also must think that we are the stupidest supporters ever. hahahahahaha.

Lucky Strike
04-21-2010, 08:43 PM
“We’re trying to build a strong, young core group of players here,” Johnston said in an interview. “We’ve got a new coach and we’re looking for a squad that balances experience and youth.

“That plan’s still same. Do we wish we had another win or two? Of course. But we’re on track.

Asked if he had a message to fans, Johnston said: “Try to be patient. We all want the same thing you do, to win.”

FUCK OFF!

Whoop
04-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Maybe the banner I suggested for the beginning of the year should be revived. LOL

NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

Fuck me.

ilikemusic
04-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe the banner I suggested for the beginning of the year should be revived. LOL

NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

Fuck me.

Mo Excuses

Mo Problems

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 08:46 PM

NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!

Fuck me.

I actually liked that idea.

Now it seems even more appropriate.

In fact...I would add "Mo" to the end of it to make sure it's understood who it's directed to.

FluSH
04-21-2010, 08:48 PM
GREAT

I can go to sleep now... in peace. Great Words from a great man...

Whoop
04-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Question:
I heard DeRo on the radio talking about team chemistry isn't there yet, mainly because of a language barrier and guys haven't been settled in with housing and stuff or worrying about family coming over...

Doesn't MLSE do something about that?....

Geez, you figure they would help look after that stuff.

ilikemusic
04-21-2010, 08:50 PM
GREAT

Sage wisdom from a fourth year manager.

I think it was Dean Lombardi, or it might have been Scotty Bowman who said something similar..."do I wish we had another win or two, ya". Thats what the best do. Wish.

Deep stuff.

trane
04-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I re-read the artcile, it is amazing to think that in year four, we brough 12 players in and got rid of eight, I new it, but thinking about it again, it makes no sense. You are realy a first year team in year four. I am ready to start from scratch, i think it is needed, but not under this leadership.

MUFC_Niagara
04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Wow....this man is unbelievable. How does he still have a job?

trane
04-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Sage wisdom from a fourth year manager.

I think it was Dean Lombardi, or it might have been Scotty Bowman who said something similar..."do I wish we had another win or two, ya". Thats what the best do. Wish.

Deep stuff.

It was Mou, he also said, "tactics, who needs stincking tactics".

You just change the team continously, so that the other side does not know what is comming. See it is logical, by year five all the other MLS team will be totaly confused at to WTF we are doing, I know we are.

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Go fuck yourself, Mo.

How can he claim to be "on track" with a plan, when we trade or release half of our roster every season?

Seattle play better football than us. Hell, in their short time, Philly have played better football than us. Both of these teams are newer than ours.

You literally have an entire world from which to find and sign football players. Instead of doing that, you feed us this shit about "balancing youth and experience".

Four years, four coaches. There is no plan, and you're an asshole for having the balls to come out and insist there still is one.

You're like an animal that has been hit by a car - you're just thrashing about in every direction, signing and releasing players like they were on a conveyor belt, destroying our cap situation in the process. You've also destroyed the team's reputation, with the way you've traded and released players in the most unprofessional way possible.

You're a fucking joke, Mo. You're the worst GM in the league by a country mile.

I can't wait to see what English Division 2 washout you sign next, you fucking twat.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Question:
I heard DeRo on the radio talking about team chemistry isn't there yet, mainly because of a language barrier and guys haven't been settled in with housing and stuff or worrying about family coming over...

With the pace at which new guys are showing up, who knows.

- Scott

T.O TILL I DIE
04-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Abahahahahahaahahahah Omggg ^^^ Owneddd Mo

Whoop
04-21-2010, 08:57 PM
To borrow a line used recently.

"Shut up and manage Mo."

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
We’re trying to build a strong, young core group of players here,”

WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN DOING THE LAST 4 YEARS?

H Bomb
I got 99 problems and Mo Johnston is one of them.

trane
^ Mo has managed too fucking much, he needs to stop managing.

Suds
04-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Sometimes I think it would be better if Mo just stayed in his office and stopped giving the press sound bites. He's not helping at all.

Mo - If you signed some decent fucking talent we might have been patient. But we're becoming the laughing stock of the MLS. Great way to repay the fans of this city!

flatpicker
I would be find with Mo saying this if we had won the Supporters Shield or Cup last year.

But to be a bad team 3 years in a row, and once again in a rebuilding stage... there really is no good reason for that.

Maybe... just maybe... Mo made a boo-boo in the beginning, but now he has seen the light.
Maybe now he and Preki have all the answers.

I would be shocked if that's the case... but what choice do we have but wait and see what happens?

Whoop
Then he should just "shut up".

Krasno.pL.
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
4 Fuckins Year To Get On Track>> Fuck him

trane
04-21-2010, 09:01 PM
^ Flats, if we have to rebuild, we might as well start now. We are rebuilidng anyway, under the same leaderhsip. Lets rebuild but under a leaderhsip team that we have reason to trust. I do not want to waste another season and start over once again in 2011.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Exactly trane...

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh God, it just makes me so fucking mad that this shithead has the nerve to give quotes to a media outlet insisting he has a plan, and asking for patience.

If he knew what was good for him, he'd barricade himself in his office and refuse to take calls until they slide the pink slip under the door, and thank the sweet zombie Jesus that he gets paid good money to essentially fuck a professional soccer team in the ass every morning, in the meantime.

So fucking mad.

- Scott

Krasno.pL.
04-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Oh God, it just makes me so fucking mad that this shithead has the nerve to give quotes to a media outlet insisting he has a plan, and asking for patience.

If he knew what was good for him, he'd barricade himself in his office and refuse to take calls until they slide the pink slip under the door, and thank the sweet zombie Jesus that he gets paid good money to essentially fuck a professional soccer team in the ass every morning.

So fucking mad.

- Scott

+10000000000000000000000

billyfly
04-21-2010, 09:06 PM
I think most of us wanna see Mo on a street corner asking for spare change instead of our patience surrounding this version of TFC.

trane
04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
The funny thing is that in the off season, I thought maybe Mo is finaly getting it by brining in Preki, I thought they will bring a couple of players, make the team tacticaly and defensively sound, and we would grind it out to the playoffs, we seemed to have a solid MLS chore. I did not expect a total gutting of the roster.

AL-MO
04-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Question:

Funny I am reading Soccernomics right now and just read the part about how the best Clubs (Lyon, Milan) have people in place to help get the player and his family settled.

Others just expect the player to work out everything on their own.

Globetrotter
04-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Why dont the supporters group join together, non game day, and present themselves to MLSE, whether that be at BMO or ACC. Anti Mo signs, chants, the works. Just make it known, NON GAME DAY, that he really needs to go. No point telling Mo he needs to go... it's those that can fire him that need to be convinced.

wzhxvy
NO MO LIES

I believe nothing you say MO...Ansalami better end the misery now

Kaz
3 years of Patience is enough... Seattle needed no Patience, they had compentent people up stairs.

Mo Must Go.

Shakes McQueen
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
The funny thing is that in the off season, I thought maybe Mo is finaly getting it by brining in Preki, I thought they will bring a couple of players, make the team tacticaly and defensively sound, and we would grind it out to the playoffs, we seemed to have a solid MLS chore. I did not expect a total gutting of the roster.

I also tried to give Mo some benefit of the doubt when we signed Preki. But like you said - then he gutted the roster, started the season with 5 guys, four cats, and a can of Pringles, and still didn't upgrade our defense or our strikers at all.

In building their rosters, most managers are playing Tetris - getting the right pieces that fit, and meet the team's needs. Mo Johnston is throwing Jenga blocks at a dart board, and wondering why none of the blocks stick.

- Scott

MUFC_Niagara
Go fuck yourself, Mo.

How can he claim to be "on track" with a plan, when we trade or release half of our roster every season?

Seattle play better football than us. Hell, in their short time, Philly have played better football than us. Both of these teams are newer than ours.

You literally have an entire world from which to find and sign football players. Instead of doing that, you feed us this shit about "balancing youth and experience".

Four years, four coaches. There is no plan, and you're an asshole for having the balls to come out and insist there still is one.

You're like an animal that has been hit by a car - you're just thrashing about in every direction, signing and releasing players like they were on a conveyor belt, destroying our cap situation in the process. You've also destroyed the team's reputation, with the way you've traded and released players in the most unprofessional way possible.

I can't wait to see what English Division 2 washout you sign next, you fucking twat.

- Scott

For me, this needs to be considered for post of the year. Love it, Scott!

trane
Al-Mo,

It would seem like a basic thing to do for you players. You want them concetrating on training. However, I guess if you do not work on tactics they have time to search for houses.

TFC Cityboy
same old excuses from a clueless wanker
Fuck off Johnston

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Go fuck yourself, Mo.

- Scott

Post of the season! Should go up on the Wall of Honour!

Pearce321
Excuses Excuses.....

Sign Messi or leave :)

Whoop
Funny I am reading Soccernomics right now and just read the part about how the best Clubs (Lyon, Milan) have people in place to help get the player and his family settled.

Others just expect the player to work out everything on their own.

That's what I mean.

Clubs that will provide you with an apartment and transportation.

Is there a salary cap on that stuff too?

Or does the team expect the players and the agents to figure it out on their own?

Whoop
04-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Post of the season! Should go up on the Wall of Honour!

How long has that post been up for?

JDG
04-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Exactly how I reacted.

tfcleeds
04-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Sorry Mo, my patience has been long at an end. And if you were back in the British Isles, you would have been canned long ago.

mmmikey
04-21-2010, 09:17 PM
This is where someone needs to post the standard "you guys are so negative.. Stop with the negative atmosphere"..

If I ran my projects like this my boss would show me the door. Pathetic.

Shakes McQueen
That's what I mean.

Clubs that will provide you with an apartment and transportation.

Is there a salary cap on that stuff too?

Or does the team expect the players and the agents to figure it out on their own?

I know for a fact that MLSE do have personnel that help new acquisitions get settled in, and find housing, for their various sports franchises.

But when Mo is signing 1-2 new players a week, I imagine it's hard to keep up.

- Scott

trane
TFCLeeds,

Anywere but here. In Italy they would be setting fire to the stands. PARTICULLARLY after this article, the Ultras of the club, would be marching to the stadium to crucify him, I am not exagerating. I know people would be so fucking pissed. Three years of feeding us shit, and now he tries to feed us that last little piece of shit. The answer would be a fucking riot.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
This is where someone needs to post the standard "you guys are so negative.. Stop with the negative atmosphere"..

If I ran my projects like this my boss would show me the door. Pathetic.

Exactly...

Just shut up Mo!

mmmikey
04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
I also tried to give Mo some benefit of the doubt when we signed Preki. But like you said - then he gutted the roster, started the season with 5 guys, four cats, and a can of Pringles, and still didn't upgrade our defense or our strikers at all.

shit Garcia is a can of pringles?? NOW his play makes sense ;)

Nerepis
04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
"We all want the same thing you do, to win.”

Mo, I'm sure this is what you want, but over the last several years you have proven that you have no ability or clue how to do this, you have also shown a distinct lack of class when dealing with players you brought into the organization. It's time for you to go!

Keyman
04-21-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't see what people are so angry about. This is a great response from Mo. People need to be patient, he's right. We're on the track to glory, mark my words. We will win the championship.

trane
04-21-2010, 09:23 PM
^ Are you serious?????????

Oblio2
04-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Mo Excuses

Mo Problems

"NO MO EXCUSES'

Whoop
LOL @ trane...

Roogsy
I know for a fact that MLSE do have personnel that help new acquisitions get settled in, and find housing, for their various sports franchises.

But when Mo is signing 1-2 new players a week, I imagine it's hard to keep up.

- Scott

Not to mention it SHOULD be done in the offseason (Gasp! What a concept!) since when the season starts, all staff in the FO are swamped. During the season, a good team might have 1 or 2 players they have to help move around not an entire roster. :facepalm:

tfcleeds
04-21-2010, 09:28 PM
^ Are you serious?????????

Sarcasm is a wonderful thing! (at least, it had better be sarcasm...)

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't see what people are so angry about. This is a great response from Mo. People need to be patient, he's right. We're on the track to glory, mark my words. We will win the championship.

in 2020?

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 09:31 PM
:lol: Hook, line and sinker...

trane
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
^ I am just expecting someone to seriously tell us that we are being negative.

sully
04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Pachuco;991100]We’re trying to build a strong, young core group of players here,”

how many times have heard this over the last few years?
I have been patient...But I haven't seen improvement, I see shoddy, bad, reactive decisions over and over.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I mean if we had 11 guys between the ages of 23-25 with skill...then maybe I could live with it... but I don't see it.

cmonyoureds
04-21-2010, 09:41 PM
ON TRACK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? The track record shows 3 losing seasons and no progress. Oh wait, maybe he's talking about we're on track this year. Oh, that can't be, we're 3 losses and 1 win, so that's on track to a winning % of 25? What the hell are we on track to? Signing a few hundred more players? Arrgggh, I can't even post properly this comment is so infuriating.

FluSH
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Business 101

When you tell your client base to have PATIENCE

It's freakign over for you and your company.

The word PATIENCE is not what I want to hear from MO's mouth. He has nothing to lose... in fact his job is already lost... what I want to hear is... I WILL DELIVER.

Keyman
04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
You guys are just a bunch of cynics. How about you all try and be a little optimistic, none of you are real supporters. Supporters aren't pessimistic. If you support TFC you support Mo. I find it preposterous that when Mo speaks he can't find any credence among fans.

trane
^ I have a feeling that he will panic and deliver a half assed DP signing.

AL-MO
What track?

a5BjIVS04jk

cmonyoureds
04-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I'VE GOT IT!!! He means on track to achieve the profits expected by MLSE. How stupid are we for thinking his commentary had anything whatsoever to do with the football team taking the field. Relax guys, this team will be around to crap the bed for many years to come.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Wrong track AL-MO...

Mo has officially gone crazy. Send him to an insane asylum.

VorC_GHQnSc

trane
04-21-2010, 09:47 PM
^ Attendance and profits will go down, if this shit continues.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 09:48 PM
"I'm going off the rails on a crazy train!"

cmonyoureds
You guys are just a bunch of cynics. How about you all try and be a little optimistic, none of you are real supporters. Supporters aren't pessimistic. If you support TFC you support Mo. I find it preposterous that when Mo speaks he can't find any credence among fans.

I'm sorry, given the current state of things, where exactly are you finding optimism?

I would replace your use of the word cynic with realist.

denime
^ I am just expecting someone to seriously tell us that we are being negative.

I don't understand why are you guys so negative?:hide:

Whoop
04-21-2010, 09:49 PM
"I know that things are going wrong for me

You gotta listen to my words

Yeah!"

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 09:49 PM
^ I have a feeling that he will panic and deliver a half assed DP signing.

Further sinking the team into contract problems that we will be dealing with long after he is gone.

Exactly the reason why he needs to go sooner rather than later if only to avoid his screwing up this team even more. Give him time and he will screw us for years to come. He's already wasted what should have been an easy 4 great years in TFC history. The team had the fans eating out of their hands. All they had to do was put a half-competent team on the pitch and they failed to do even that resulting in turning fans and supporters into cynics and protesters.

trane
04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I don't understand why are you guys so negative?:hide:

Because we are not real supporters, real supporters do not put pressure on their team.

denime
04-21-2010, 09:50 PM
You guys are just a bunch of cynics. How about you all try and be a little optimistic, none of you are real supporters. Supporters aren't pessimistic. If you support TFC you support Mo. I find it preposterous that when Mo speaks he can't find any credence among fans.:hide::hide::hide:

FIXED ;)

trane
04-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Further sinking the team into contract problems that we will be dealing with long after he is gone.

Exactly the reason why he needs to go sooner rather than later if only to avoid his screwing up this team even more. Give him time and he will screw us for years to come. He's already wasted what should have been an easy 4 great years in TFC history. The team had the fans eating out of their hands. All they had to do was put a half-competent team on the pitch and they failed to do even that resulting in turning fans and supporters into cynics and protesters.

Agreed. Another sad but true statment about TFC.

AL-MO
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
LOL I think Keyman was joking.

Keyman
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm sorry, given the current state of things, where exactly are you finding optimism?

I would replace your use of the word cynic with realist.

You aren't optimistic when you see this picture? I know I am.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/partypictures/2006/04_05_06/images/dressedtokilt/MJohnston_040306_2.jpg

trane
04-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Hahahaah. Is he comming or going?

If he was going to take over the red bull that would be a double win for us. Makes us automaticaly better, then automaticaly worse.

cmonyoureds
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
^^^^ I rescind the comments. No further questions your honor. The universe now makes sense.

trane
04-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Mo Johnson's signs a star DP striker;

MO JOHNSON

denime
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Because we are not real supporters, real supporters do not put pressure on their team.

TRUE :D

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
^ Attendance and profits will go down, if this shit continues.

I submit to you that profits are already being affected.

TFC generates revenue from various sources. From selling gear, from tickets and concessions and from television sources.

Tickets and concessions may have already started being affected, but it's minimal.

Gear is probably slowing down but probably very minimal as well, and since they are very good at keeping things fresh, they are doing a good job at maintaining revenue from this source as well.

Television revenue...ah...here is the ticket. Part of their business plan probably was a gradual increase of viewership over the years. The problem here is that for that to happen, the team can't be shit. I am not saying they were planning on winning the MLS cup or anything, but certainly they didn't plan on having probably the most poorly built team in the MLS with a horrendous record that couldn't help generate any sort of interest. TV viewership has remained poor and it ain't going up with the state of this team thats for sure.

In a way, having such a rabid supporter's element has probably done more to harm this team than good. If we weren't so dedicated, we would not have helped create the environment that is helping keep fans coming over and over. Our contributions have helped keep Mo in business undeservedly...its quite the conundrum.

TFC OZZ
04-21-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't see what the big fuss is over. What do you really expect him to say under the circumstances. It's 4 games into the season here people.

That picture of Mo on the runway's an absolute gem haha

trane
04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Roogsy,

Again, I agree with you. The last part about the "rabid supporter's" has always made me uneasy, I felt like we were, for the lack of a better worl facilitators. We made them feel like they succeeded, when they clearly had not.

ag futbol
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
lol, does he really think we haven't heard all this shit before?

The second he wants to benchmark himself to anyone (expansion teams, existing teams that had to rebuild) his arguments fall to pieces. They were blown to bits a long time ago.

This is nothing more than a cheap con, he's getting desperate and running out of rope. He'll be DOA by the end of this season at the latest, but i hope the firing squad comes early.

trane
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't see what the big fuss is over. What do you really expect him to say under the circumstances. It's 4 games into the season here people.

That picture of Mo on the runway's an absolute gem haha

I expect him to shut up, or say I RESIGN. The second would be better.

flatpicker
04-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Stop making sense Roogsy.

Keyman
04-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Hahahaah. Is he comming or going?

If he was going to take over the red bull that would be a double win for us. Makes us automaticaly better, then automaticaly worse.

Yes, definitely going. :D Hence the optimism. Almost instantaneously the Red Bulls would once again be shite.

Is Mo preparing for combat in that photo?

ag futbol
04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Television revenue...ah...here is the ticket. Part of their business plan probably was a gradual increase of viewership over the years. The problem here is that for that to happen, the team can't be shit. I am not saying they were planning on winning the MLS cup or anything, but certainly they didn't plan on having probably the most poorly built team in the MLS with a horrendous record that couldn't help generate any sort of interest. TV viewership has remained poor and it ain't going up with the state of this team thats for sure.
There's the problem, they don't have a monopoly (like the raptors) or an existing fan base (like the leafs) to milk.

MLSE is going to have to wake up and compete with Vancouver and Montreal for viewers. Good luck building revenue putting shit like this on the field.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Roogsy,

Again, I agree with you. The last part about the "rabid supporter's" has always made me uneasy, I felt like we were, for the lack of a better worl facilitators. We made them feel like they succeeded, when they clearly had not.

Too true...too true.

I think if this year is a bust...our group as the biggest supporter group and the one with that has the most cooperation with the Front Office need to make it clear:

Our role as enablers is over. Fans and supporters have shown more patience than the team deserves.

trane
04-21-2010, 10:08 PM
^ you know that I agree with that.

enablers is the word that I was looking for.

TFC OZZ
04-21-2010, 10:18 PM
I expect him to shut up, or say I RESIGN. The second would be better.

I'm OK if he asks for patience from the fans, that seems like a legitimate thing for a GM to ask for 4 games into any season; whether or not we've been awful for the last four years; and been absolutely miserable. I see your point of view though.

Personally I have more of a problem when I hear things like, "we're looking at a few guys" or "we're looking at a Centre-back and a Striker". How many times have we heard that bull shit?

Either way, I'm grateful to have had a team in Toronto for the last 4 years.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Either way, I'm grateful to have had a team in Toronto for the last 4 years.

So am I, but that doesn't mean I will sit idly by and watch the team I spend time, money and effort on bumble its way from season to season.

Excellence is demanded, it doesn't fall in your lap. Doing nothing and sitting back is a recipe for mediocrity at best.

canadian_bhoy
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Wow. This is the first time I've ever seen Mo backpeddling like this.

Usually you get his "you need to understand how the league works" and "I got DeRo and DeGuz etc". Now he's actually doing a bit of pleading for patience. He knows his days are numbered.

S_D
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
lol, does he really think we haven't heard all this shit before?

The second he wants to benchmark himself to anyone (expansion teams, existing teams that had to rebuild) his arguments fall to pieces. They were blown to bits a long time ago.

This is nothing more than a cheap con, he's getting desperate and running out of rope. He'll be DOA by the end of this season at the latest, but i hope the firing squad comes early.

Sure sounds like desperation to me. Building a young core my ass.

He should do the right thing and just resign.

Problem is there isn't another team in this league that would touch him with a 10' pole so he hasn't got anywhere else to go. Unfortunaterly he will hang around until the bitter end. <sigh>

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Building a young core at this point is like telling me the 5 year plan just began!

Whoop
04-21-2010, 10:26 PM
So am I, but that doesn't mean I will sit idly by and watch the team I spend time, money and effort on bumble its way from season to season.

Excellence is demanded, it doesn't fall in your lap. Doing nothing and sitting back is a recipe for mediocrity at best.

Shouldn't excellence be demanded internally?

We shouldn't be the ones demanding excellence.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Shouldn't excellence be demanded internally?

We shouldn't be the ones demanding excellence.

:iagree:

But this is MLSE after all...

TFC OZZ
04-21-2010, 10:30 PM

Who said anything about sitting idly by? Personally, I just feel like as supporters we (at least I) don't know the inner workings of how to run a football club. It's not like our team and management aren't trying to win. Bringing in "negative" banners to games for example just doesn't seem like the correct way to go about facilitating changes.

Maybe I'm just naive (very possible) but you have to feel like if Mo's making so many mistakes, why hasn't he already been fired? There could be a million different business, political, financial, marketing, reputation etc. reasons why whic,h is why I feel like it's hard to sit here and read "MO MUST GO" in every other post.

Smokecell
that pink slip protest needs to happen

Whoop
Are there any repercussions for the person who hired Mo, or better yet, gave Mo an extension?

Will the same person be the one hiring Mo's replacement?

Whoop
04-21-2010, 10:31 PM
that pink slip protest needs to happen

Sadly I think after Wednesday next week... this might be closer to reality. :(

:( only because I think we're going to lose to Montreal.

S_D
04-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Building a young core at this point is like telling me the 5 year plan just began!

If he signs Dickov we will know he is full of it.

S_D
04-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Are there any repercussions for the person who hired Mo, or better yet, gave Mo an extension?

Will the same person be the one hiring Mo's replacement?

Look for the next hiring committee being formed.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Who said anything about sitting idly by? Personally, I just feel like as supporters we (at least I) don't know the inner workings of how to run a football club. It's not like our team and management aren't trying to win. Bringing in "negative" banners to games for example just doesn't seem like the correct way to go about facilitating changes.

Maybe I'm just naive (very possible) but you have to feel like if Mo's making so many mistakes, why hasn't he already been fired? There could be a million different business, political, financial, marketing, reputation etc. reasons why whic,h is why I feel like it's hard to sit here and read "MO MUST GO" in every other post.

What you say here is not unreasonable, but you failed to do one thing, explain how you are not sitting idly by! If protest banners are not the way to go, what is? We are all looking for effective solutions as to how to pressure the team to get rid of Mo, that is if you believe he needs to go.

neuf
04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
"I'm going on the rails on a crazy train!"

Fixed, to be more applicable for Mo.

ag futbol
04-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Sure sounds like desperation to me. Building a young core my ass.

Sounds like we're aiming to be the LA Clippers of MLS, in a league that doesn't even reward stockpiling young talent because it can't be retained.

One more thing: if we're stockpiling young talent, isn't it necessary to keep players around more than 6 months, or and not trade your draft picks for pennies on the dollar?

Whoop
04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
This would be so cool....

http://www.soundersfc.com/Alliance/About.aspx

Pachuco
04-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Sounds like we're aiming to be the LA Clippers of MLS, in a league that doesn't even reward stockpiling young talent because it can't be retained.

One more thing: if we're stockpiling young talent, isn't it necessary to keep players around more than 6 months, or and not trade your draft picks for pennies on the dollar?

And if we're stockpiling young talent why are we giving away 1st round picks for guys that get traded 6 months later for 3rd round picks? Didn't realize your chances of getting young talent increase as the number of rounds increase.

TFC OZZ
04-21-2010, 10:52 PM
What you say here is not unreasonable, but you failed to do one thing, explain how you are not sitting idly by! If protest banners are not the way to go, what is? We are all looking for effective solutions as to how to pressure the team to get rid of Mo, that is if you believe he needs to go.

You bring up a fantastic point! Let me clarify one thing first, and that is that I do believe that Mo has done more negative things over the last 4 years for this club than positive. Do I feel like he should be fired? I wouldn't be upset if he and TFC parted ways.

I'm just speaking from the perspective of a person who doesn't like to read what seems like "exponential" out of control hatred towards something that people (like I said including myself) don't fully understand (I'm referring to the inner workings of our club there by the way). All this was over a newpaper article where 4, let me repeat FOUR games into the season our GM asked for us to be patient. I'm sure management will eventually listen and get rid of Mo, it's obvious that he's done a sub-par job; but maybe we should listen too, and continue to be patient.

As for what to do, go to every game and be the 12th man regardless of the score. Not for the sake of being "rabid" but for the sake of loving the club and the sport. If you don't like Mo, call TFC head office and let them know you won't be renewing your tickets for the next season while he's in charge. Just don't voice negative opinion in the one place it could potentially do more damage than good, at the pitch.

volunteer
04-21-2010, 10:53 PM
you guys are being too hard on Mo, he's really trying and he has a plan http://i.imagehost.org/0005/toronto-fc5.png (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0005/toronto-fc5)

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
You bring up a fantastic point! Let me clarify one thing first, and that is that I do believe that Mo has done more negative things over the last 4 years for this club than positive. Do I feel like he should be fired? I wouldn't be upset if he and TFC parted ways.

I'm just speaking from the perspective of a person who doesn't like to read what seems like "exponential" out of control hatred towards something that people (like I said including myself) don't fully understand (I'm referring to the inner workings of our club there by the way). All this was over a newpaper article where 4, let me repeat FOUR games into the season our GM asked for us to be patient. I'm sure management will eventually listen and get rid of Mo, it's obvious that he's done a sub-par job; but maybe we should listen too, and continue to be patient.

As for what to do, go to every game and be the 12th man regardless of the score. Not for the sake of being "rabid" but for the sake of loving the club and the sport. If you don't like Mo, call TFC head office and let them know you won't be renewing your tickets for the next season while he's in charge. Just don't voice negative opinion in the one place it could potentially do more damage than good, at the pitch.

The problem with this position is that positive messages aren't working. Of everything being seen at BMO Field, positive messages make up around 90% of what supporters are doing. That will quickly change if things don't improve, however at this point nobody can put up the accusation that the "12th man" has been negative from the stands at all. Therefore, from the point of view of being active in putting pressure on the team to get rid of Mo, your position is indeed to sit idly by because you are in fact not doing any specific activity that has that particular goal and purpose in mind. That is a completely different statement than claiming whether you sit doing nothing at the games or not, which is a different activity altogether.

As for being "patient" nobody has explained to me the logic of what is the best time to fire a GM. If it is at the end of a season, then TFC failed to do it's job and fire Mo at the end of last season. But you don't correct that mistake by shrugging your shoulders and saying "well...he started the season, he might as well finish it off". That's ridiculous. 4 games into the season has nothing to do with the fact that he has done a poor job and that alone should be the reason he should be fired. Patience is an unreasonable request to demand of fans and supporters at this point. By asking for patience, he is also asking for faith. That is the only logical conclusion. So if you feel he deserve that show of faith, then simply state it. But if you don't believe that he deserves that show of faith anymore, then by default patience should not be demanded nor extended and there is no logical reason to continue to wait and see and extend the misery of all involved.

On a separate note, I hope TFC are paying attention to what is happening at the Skydome. The lack of interest is being reflected in the attendance figures to start the season. Nobody is immune from unhappy fans but it's a shame that TFC is already testing the resilience of their fanbase by failing to put a decent product on the pitch. They could very well see "Blue Jay" attendance issues down the road if they don't fix things pronto. There is only one bulletproof team in Toronto and that is the Leafs. Everyone else has to work for their fans and right now, TFC are failing in an epic way. Eventually the piper will have to be paid.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:03 PM
On a separate note, I hope TFC are paying attention to what is happening at the Skydome. The lack of interest is being reflected in the attendance figures to start the season. Nobody is immune from unhappy fans but it's a shame that TFC is already testing the resilience of their fanbase by failing to put a decent product on the pitch. They could very well see "Blue Jay" attendance issues down the road if they don't fix things pronto. There is only one bulletproof team in Toronto and that is the Leafs. Everyone else has to work for their fans and right now, TFC are failing in an epic way.

This....

While it's more of a MLB thing - Pittsburgh 9,000; Baltimore 10,000, etc. - if the Jays were winning you would get bigger crowds...

ag futbol
04-21-2010, 11:07 PM
This....

While it's more of a MLB thing - Pittsburgh 9,000; Baltimore 10,000, etc. - if the Jays were winning you would get bigger crowds...
But that's the scary thing for the jays, they are doing alright. In any league not called MLB they'd make the playoffs nearly every year.

I don't like baseball but i have sympathy for them. They spent the money and went for it but they're in the toughest division in baseball. The GM made some bad decisions but from a fans POV you can see the commitment the owners gave the club in resources to win.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Problem is, apathy allowed the guy making the decisions to stay around too long....

trane
04-21-2010, 11:15 PM
The problem with this position is that positive messages aren't working. Of everything being seen at BMO Field, positive messages make up around 90% of what supporters are doing. That will quickly change if things don't improve, however at this point nobody can put up the accusation that the "12th man" has been negative from the stands at all. Therefore, from the point of view of being active in putting pressure on the team to get rid of Mo, your position is indeed to sit idly by because you are in fact not doing any specific activity that has that particular goal and purpose in mind. That is a completely different statement than claiming whether you sit doing nothing at the games or not, which is a different activity altogether.

As for being "patient" nobody has explained to me the logic of what is the best time to fire a GM. If it is at the end of a season, then TFC failed to do it's job and fire Mo at the end of last season. But you don't correct that mistake by shrugging your shoulders and saying "well...he started the season, he might as well finish it off". That's ridiculous. 4 games into the season has nothing to do with the fact that he has done a poor job and that alone should be the reason he should be fired. Patience is an unreasonable request to demand of fans and supporters at this point. By asking for patience, he is also asking for faith. That is the only logical conclusion. So if you feel he deserve that show of faith, then simply state it. But if you don't believe that he deserves that show of faith anymore, then by default patience should not be demanded nor extended and there is no logical reason to continue to wait and see and extend the misery of all involved.

On a separate note, I hope TFC are paying attention to what is happening at the Skydome. The lack of interest is being reflected in the attendance figures to start the season. Nobody is immune from unhappy fans but it's a shame that TFC is already testing the resilience of their fanbase by failing to put a decent product on the pitch. They could very well see "Blue Jay" attendance issues down the road if they don't fix things pronto. There is only one bulletproof team in Toronto and that is the Leafs. Everyone else has to work for their fans and right now, TFC are failing in an epic way. Eventually the piper will have to be paid.

I am tiered of being told, that we do not understand what is happening, as if it way above us. Sure we do not have inside knowledge of the workings of the club, and we have other professions/jobs, we are not paid to run the club, nor do be have the professional background to run a club, but this insinuation that it is above us, is patronizing.

TFC OZZ
04-21-2010, 11:15 PM
The problem with this position is that positive messages aren't working. Of everything being seen at BMO Field, positive messages make up around 90% of what supporters are doing. That will quickly change if things don't improve, however at this point nobody can put up the accusation that the "12th man" has been negative from the stands at all. Therefore, from the point of view of being active in putting pressure on the team to get rid of Mo, your position is indeed to sit idly by. That is a completely different statement than claiming you sit doing nothing at the games, which is a different activity altogether.

On a separate note, I hope TFC are paying attention to what is happening at the Skydome. The lack of interest is being reflected in the attendance figures to start the season. Nobody is immune from unhappy fans but it's a shame that TFC is already testing the resilience of their fanbase by failing to put a decent product on the pitch. They could very well see "Blue Jay" attendance issues down the road if they don't fix things pronto. There is only one bulletproof team in Toronto and that is the Leafs. Everyone else has to work for their fans and right now, TFC are failing in an epic way.

Just to clarify, I agree that 90% of the support from the fans is positive, I'm saying let's keep it that way; and try to make sure that doesn't degenerate.

Obviously at the end of the day it's a business and as long as fans are in the seats the owners are happy; which puts fans in the obvious awkward position of deciding whether to go to games to support the club, or miss them to spite the owners' poor decisions. If you feel like I'm sitting idly by then let me just say that I do it with the belief that holding up a negative banner will not do anything positive, and that I believe that everyone at our club is working as hard as they can under the circumstances to provide a winning franchise. When I say maybe we need to be patient, I mean it in the sense that I have the type of faith in the OWNERSHIP that if Mo is not doing a good enough job they'll fire him. Like I said, I'm naive; remember?

As for the Jays I have to agree with you. I drove back between my exams to go to the sold out Homeopener, only to hear of crowds of about 13,000 a few days later which is incredibly disappointing.

trane
04-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Just to clarify, I agree that 90% of the support from the fans is positive, I'm saying let's keep it that way; and try to make sure that doesn't degenerate.

Obviously at the end of the day it's a business and as long as fans are in the seats the owners are happy; which puts fans in the obvious awkward position of deciding whether to go to games to support the club, or miss them to spite the owners' poor decisions. If you feel like I'm sitting idly by then let me just say that I do it with the belief that holding up a negative banner will not do anything positive, and that I believe that everyone at our club is working as hard as they can under the circumstances to provide a winning franchise. When I say maybe we need to be patient, I mean it in the sense that I have the type of faith in the OWNERSHIP that if Mo is not doing a good enough job they'll fire him. Like I said, I'm naive; remember?

As for the Jays I have to agree with you. I drove back between my exams to go to the sold out Homeopener, only to hear of crowds of about 13,000 a few days later which is incredibly disappointing.

WHy do you believe that? What proof do you have that this is true?

And even if it is true, what evidence do we have that they will suceed in providing us a winning franchise?

I am not being a dick, but lets be positive, because positivity will bring on positive results, is a facile argument.

TFC OZZ
04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I am tiered of being told, that we do not understand what is happening, as if it way above us. Sure we do not have inside knowledge of the workings of the club, and we have other professions/jobs, we are not paid to run the club, nor do be have the professional background to run a club, but this insinuation that it is above us, is patronizing.

Personally, I feel like it's less of an "above us" type of thing, and more of an issue of there being so many separate factors, and minute details to account for that makes it so easy for fans to jump on someone when results are poor. If it's not Andy Welsh it's John Carver, and if it's not Carver it's Cunningham, and if it's not Cunningham it's the refs, and if it's not the refs its Mo Johnson. You know what I'm saying? That being said, of those factors I would say Mo IS the largest problem.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM

What you see in the stands is an expression from the fans. Therefore, it is an organic element that changes as the source of the expression changes. If the fans are happy or hopeful, the expression from the stands will reflect that. If they are angry or have given up, that is what will be expressed. You can't possibly ask the fans to express something different than what they are feeling. especially when the fans are trying to communicate a message. They aren't going to put up a "we're number 1" banner when what they really want to say is "sack Mo". That is simply unreasonable.

I am happy to see that life has not made you a cynic nor robbed you of your optimism...yet. But I don't need to read too deeply into your post to know that you are quite likely younger than some of us and have obviously not been exposed to the spirit-crushing mediocrity of Toronto sports for as long as the rest of us. Having faith in MLSE to fix this in a timely manner is almost impossible to believe. The truth is that without fan pressure, they will probably wait too long as they have done time and time again. (To make things worse, the prospect of change isn't very hope-inspiring either as MLSE does not have a good track-record with regards to knowing who to bring in...but when you're rock bottom, you're hoping that whatever change comes, it doesn't dig a hole underneath you that is even deeper.)

trane
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
^ Mo is the largest problem. However, I am of the believe, as others have suggested, that others should be held responsbile, for if nothing else, letting hims stay around for as long as he has.

Fan pressure is essential for change.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I am not being a dick, but lets be positive, because positivity will bring on positive results, is a facile argument.

This.

I agree with this.

Jose Mourinho
04-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Fuck Off Mo!

You ask for patience? We have patiently awaited a winning team for three years.

You say you had to wait until the start of the season to make moves because of salary cap uncertainty? Question, what did the other MLS GMs do to not have to bring in new players once the season was underway and insert them into the starting line up minutes after they've signed. I'd say it would take them time to learn the system but I am unsure if we have a system.

The way you treated many of our former players has all but blacklisted TFC from future potential signings.

Fuck off and go manage a rival.

TFC OZZ
04-21-2010, 11:28 PM
WHy do you believe that? What proof do you have that this is true?

And even if it is true, what evidence do we have that they will suceed in providing us a winning franchise?

I totally get where you're coming from dude. In fact, I'm sure 90% if not 99% of the people here feel the same way you do. I've been a season ticket holder since day one as many of you have, and I guess all I can really say to back up my stance is that our club is run by a billion dollar company that is successful for a reason. It's not like they hired staff etc. to lose, and at the end of the day despite what happens it's actually not about the results. Trust me, I want to win as much as the next guy, but that can't always happen; so I'm assuming (big assumption) that our ownership will try and rectify the situation.

I'm a life-long Newcastle United FC fan, let me just put it that way. :D

ag futbol
04-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Thus is the greatness of benchmarking. We don't need to know everything about running a team to realize that Mo Johnston does a very poor job compared to his peers. In the time we've gone down the road to nowhere various MLS clubs have fallen and been built. Johnston continues to insist he needs more time.

The excuses from year-to-year have been nothing short of hilarious.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 11:30 PM

There have been enough successful organizations in all sports through many years to prove what elements are required to build a successful sports organization.

As I have said time and time again...this is not rocket science. But MLSE will make you believe that it's the most impossible achievement in the world, building a competent sports team.

The proof shows otherwise. It shows that having the right management in place results in success. This has been proven time and time again. And what has also been proven time and time again is that you can't throw a mish-mash of players together and expect them to succeed through pure luck. In future years, TFC will be used as the model example of what not to do in building a successful team.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I always imagined MLSE to be like a bureaucracy. Bloated, lots of red tape, out of touch, and take a long time to make a decision. Or form committees and sub committees to make a decision to decide to make a decision.

trane
04-21-2010, 11:32 PM
^ ahahah. I am thinking that for the MLSE it may be impossible.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
There have been enough successful organizations in all sports through many years to prove what elements are required to build a successful sports organization.

As I have said time and time again...this is not rocket science. But MLSE will make you believe that it's the most impossible achievement in the world, building a competent sports team.

The proof shows otherwise. It shows that having the right management in place results in success. This has been proven time and time again. And what has also been proven time and time again is that you can't throw a mish-mash of players together and expect them to succeed through pure luck. In future years, TFC will be used as the model example of what not to do in building a successful team.

It's so true.

LOL... It's not, it's sports. It's NOT that hard.

You figure they would be able to translate the success they have off the field to what they do on the field.

But what brings them the greater ROI?

Jose Mourinho
04-21-2010, 11:35 PM
PS. You better not even be thinking of bringing in Old Man Dickov.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 11:35 PM
I totally get where you're coming from dude. In fact, I'm sure 90% if not 99% of the people here feel the same way you do. I've been a season ticket holder since day one as many of you have, and I guess all I can really say to back up my stance is that our club is run by a billion dollar company that is successful for a reason. It's not like they hired staff etc. to lose, and at the end of the day despite what happens it's actually not about the results. Trust me, I want to win as much as the next guy, but that can't always happen; so I'm assuming (big assumption) that our ownership will try and rectify the situation.

And this is where you make your mistake. MLSE is successful from a financial point of view because they have used financial and political connections to make savvy deals that have maximized the value of the independent assets they have collected.

However, MLSE has also been one of the most unsuccessful sports companies in the world when it comes to producing winners even in the smallest degree.

You have to qualify WHAT they are successful at. If you're a shareholder in MLSE...sure, you will be laughing joyfully all the way to the bank. The only reason you should be impressed or happy with their financial success is if you directly benefit from it. If it doesn't translate to success on the court, ice or pitch, then why would I be happy or impressed? :noidea:

trane
04-21-2010, 11:40 PM
^ I am not going to get into it, but this is were relegation comes in, some kind of linkage between success on the field and in the boardroom.

MisterMacphisto
04-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Going through 2009 emails for my taxes and came across this gem of an email from Mo Jo at end of last season. :D :rolleyes:

Hi there xxxx,

On behalf of everyone at Toronto FC, I want to thank you for your support over the course of the season. I share your disappointment that we missed the Playoffs and I am still devastated by the manner of the performance at New York on Saturday. In all my years as a player and manager I never have seen a meltdown like this. I can tell you we are only one point away from the Playoffs but in the context of a 5-0 blowout? That doesn't give me any comfort.

This morning I announced that Chris Cummins will be leaving the club and the search will start right away for a new head coach. I want to thank Chris for the job he has done since taking over as interim head coach at the end of April. When John Carver went it left us with a hole and I think under the circumstances Chris did a hell of a job. I think he is going to be a very good coach one day but I’ve known for a couple of weeks now that he wanted to be closer to home. We want all of the other members of our coaching staff to stay.

Despite missing the Playoffs, we have made progress on and off the field this season including winning our first trophy on that amazing night in Montreal. We head into next season with a strong core of players as we continue towards building for long term success. We already have plenty to look forward to including a full season with Julian de Guzman and a grass pitch being installed at BMO Field. My focus in the next few months will be on strengthening the squad at a few select positions, preparing for the SuperDraft and also getting the right man to lead the team.

We will look all over for a new coach. Within the league, we have to wait until the dust is settled with the Playoffs before we would ask to speak to anyone at another club. We want someone in the position very quickly and I would like whoever comes in to have MLS experience. We have the best facilities in the league, and are run by a top notch organization. I have no doubt this will be a job many coaches will covet. It is a big job and it will be someone who can deal with the attention this club receives.

If you want to see the full press conference from this morning, click here to watch Toronto FC TV.

Thanks again for your outstanding support of the club and I assure you I will do everything possible to bring success to Toronto FC in 2010.

LIAR!!!!!!

Get the fuck out of here Mo NOW!!!!!!!!!
:mad:

trane
04-21-2010, 11:45 PM
^ Interesting, in those few months, he addressed no position, and then once the season started he focused on almost every position.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:50 PM
But it was the CBA's fault.... LOL

trane
04-21-2010, 11:51 PM
^ yes of course, no MLS team did anything durring that time.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:52 PM
I get the impression when the early morning risers get up tomorrow... they'll poo poo all this negativity. LOL

trane
04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
how about realism. I think that is a more appropriate term.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Good point.

Still it's too "negative".... LOL

We wouldn't be so "negative" if we were seeing positive results on the pitch.

twistedchinaman
04-21-2010, 11:58 PM
http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/mls/torontofc/article/799055--johnston-asks-tfc-fans-for-patience

So there you go. Be patient people. We are "on track". I know this is essentially Mo's third attempt at a complete rebuild, but be patient.

Just because he is in his fourth year and the team is on their fourth coach, doesnt mean things arent going to plan.

No more. That tears it.

FIRE MO JOHNSTON!

Ossington Mental Youth
04-22-2010, 12:02 AM
i hate mo, i want him gone and i think its ridiculous that he'd come out and say something like this. That being said, im still giving Preki a chance to prove himself.

Alonso
04-22-2010, 12:04 AM
This would be so cool....

http://www.soundersfc.com/Alliance/About.aspx

Yup, and this is what we should demand.

Whoop
04-22-2010, 12:05 AM
^^
It would never happen here.

But the concept is outstanding.

jloome
04-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Rather than fly into the rant that type of interview tends to induce, I will simple repost this column from six weeks ago.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Stick_a_Fork_in_Mo_Hes_Long_Past_Done_mar_16_10_co lumn.shtml

I can't say it any more than that.

Alonso
04-22-2010, 12:23 AM
And this is where you make your mistake. MLSE is successful from a financial point of view because they have used financial and political connections to make savvy deals that have maximized the value of the independent assets they have collected.

However, MLSE has also been one of the most unsuccessful sports companies in the world when it comes to producing winners even in the smallest degree.

You have to qualify WHAT they are successful at. If you're a shareholder in MLSE...sure, you will be laughing joyfully all the way to the bank. The only reason you should be impressed or happy with their financial success is if you directly benefit from it. If it doesn't translate to success on the court, ice or pitch, then why would I be happy or impressed? :noidea:

Exactly, and this is why my greatest dream for the leafs, raptors and TFC is private ownership.

Corporations have an other agenda that mostly concerns profit and growth of profit.

I think sports leagues would benefit from a policy of strict private ownership.

Keystone FC
04-22-2010, 12:34 AM
you guys are being too hard on Mo, he's really trying and he has a plan http://i.imagehost.org/0005/toronto-fc5.png (http://i.imagehost.org/view/0005/toronto-fc5)
Until it becomes a six year...seven year....eight year plan.
Even if it were a '5 year plan' do we see ANY sign of it? With as many players coming and going...Managers coming and going..personel coming and going how is he able to make a plan like that work?
I would like to know what the plan is in order to follow along and see the method behind the madness, bu no, there is no plan and I think that's part of the problem.
As long as Mo keeps saying, 'Our goal is the playoffs' he is okay due to the problems with players, managers, personnel...etc. But if says, 'Our goal is the playoffs in 4 years...period.' then he is up against a wall and people will expect him to follow through.
Mo isn't as dumb as everyone thinks he is...he just knows how MLSE works and what to do just to get by.

ManUtd4ever
04-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Wow...I missed quite the thread last night. Mo displayed quite the nerve in asking TFC supporters to be patient. I think TFC supporters have been as patient as possible given the circumstances over the last 4 years.

I believe his statement was intended to take the pressure off of Preki as the club finds it's way through a difficult start to the season. I understand how his quote could be interpreted as a slap in the face though considering the unwavering support TFC has been fortunate to receive despite a constant whirlwind of change and futility within the organization.

If MoJo wanted to deliver a message, he should have thanked the supporters for being so patient throughout the turmoil of this past offseason and reiterated his vote of confidence in Preki to mold the current roster into a competitive club on the pitch while he searches for a legitimate striker to improve the club...

cochrdoc
04-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Mo,
Should realize that he has some of the best supporters in the league.Unfortunately we are the joke of it as well.Players are not going to want to come here with this comedy show by management.We released players who are alot better then what we signed.A few roster moves would have been enough for us to make the play-offs,not a whole new team.New York seem to have done it this year with an improved product on the field.Did we not beat LA twice a couple years ago, and they seem to be the class of the league so far.Seatle has out performed us and Philly showed quite well in our first win this season.WE hardly generate any shots at goal and give up possesion quite easily.Our goals against is one of the worst in the league.I will continue to be patient but also wonder what circus is going to show up this week.It will be interesting to see what result we will get against MOntreal as we have not shown we can beat A USL team.I can`t wait to hear the excuses.

gtaguy
04-22-2010, 08:39 AM

WHA........ ARE YOU SHITTING ME .. NOW I FEEL LIKE A SCHOOLBOY WAITING TO BE LET OUT ON A RECESS BREAK... FU MO THERE IS MY PATIENCE WITH YOU..
4 YEARS AND STILL TALKING THE SAME SHIT.

http://doingsowell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/patience_small1.jpg

Oldtimer
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
I like how he makes the problem out that it's impatient fans.

hahaha

We all know where the real problem lies.

It's been suggested he should go manage a rival. We all know that Mo (like Alexi Lalas) is so toxic, that he will never manage in MLS again once he leaves the sinking ship.

Fort York Redcoat
04-22-2010, 09:00 AM
In building their rosters, most managers are playing Tetris - getting the right pieces that fit, and meet the team's needs. Mo Johnston is throwing Jenga blocks at a dart board, and wondering why none of the blocks stick.

- Scott

This was pure poetry, Scott.

Gixmo
04-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Interesting

Maybe the guy on Twitter is MoJo.. Because that is very close to what his Tweet was around this interview time.

Credit due to Shakes McQueen - I've spit my coffee 3 times in one thread, A new record. You earn +51 Pts for that one. Well done.

felipe
04-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Remember we're only in year four...calm down people!

Actually, Mo is a genius, he's steered talk away from

'We're gonna get creamed by seattle, I'm not even going to the game/and or buying shit when I'm there; and, oh wait, I hate Saric or Garcia or JDG'

to

'I'm gonna do up a shitload of banners, get a bus load of 'casual' buddies to go the game with me and we'll all get really drunk at the game on $12 beer and buy the fucking white jerseys just so we can all yell obscenities at Mo'

Pure genius!

Yeoman
04-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I have found my new thread :)
SCOOTER! SCOOTER! SCOOTER!

Darlofletch
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM

That plan's the same? ok, that seems to be the plan right now, but is he seriously trying to suggest that's what he was doing the last three years? did picking up serioux, de ro, jdg, gerba, garcia last year help build a young core?

absolutely ridiculous for him to suggest that this year is just a progression on the same plan as before.

I actually like this years plan, and what Preki's starting to do, at the very least, it is actually a plan, but a) why the fuck weren't we doing this in year one, rather than year 4, b) it's really annoying that it came after three wasted years, c) it's such a radical destroying of lat years team, that it's obviously preki calling the shots, so really, what is the fucking point of Mo still being around? he brings a lot of negatives and a general toxicity with how fans and players feel about him, really harming our image throughout the league, what exactly is he contributing positively? Seriously I can't think of one positive thing that Mo does, other than act as a lightning rod for criticism, and take pressure off other people.

I do want to be patient with preki and his plan, but the first three wasted years really make that difficult, and all Mo does is remind me of that time.

fuck.

Redcoe15
04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Speaking for myself, I had patience with Mo for a long time. It started to unravel late last year, and now its gone.

And Mo's asking for more of my patience?

FUCK YOU, MO!!!!!

Shoey
04-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Mo is done. It will happen sometime this year, guaranteed. Here is why.

1) The Hiring of Preki. In his own words after the release of Chris Cummings he said the team absolutely required an experienced MLS coach. That in itself was a public admission of the hiring mistakes he made in the first 3 years of his 5 year plan. Year one: himself (enough said). Year Two: John Carver, a Championship level assistant/one time Premier league assistant with no head coach/manager pedigree other than a couple of caretaking assignments. As much as we all loved Johnny, his greatest attribute/achievement other than his candor was his relationship with Sir Bobby Robson, and his record with TFC speaks for itself. Year Three & A Third: Interim coach Chris Cummings. Another in way over his head. Great with the media, but beyond that, it was an assignment he couldn’t have possibly executed successfully. Almost looks like he was set up to fail (Mo should have stepped in and done the job himself when Carver bailed; but that would have clearly but him in the cross hairs, and we know Mo isn’t no dummy).

2) Player Personnel Decisions. Clearly the reins have been passed to Preki as part of the above hire. This team has been massively over- hauled. All that is left from last year are our two franchise players (DeRo and de Guzman), our 2009 draftees (Frei, White, Cronin), a few work horses (Nana, Barrett), and the development squad (Ibrahim, Gala, the Gambians). This is over a 50% turnover of the roster. These are clearly Preki’s decisions and represent a massive indictment of Mo’s selection and cap management capabilities. If Mo is still in charge, no way he allows these changes; that would signal to all he clearly doesn’t know what he is doing. Preki has effectively cleaned house, publicly discarding what he views as Mo’s mistakes.

3) The Marketing Machine. The building supporter group frustration and anger combined with increasing skepticism in the media (recent Score, Star, Sun pieces questioning the management practices of the team) are creating a pessimistic and negative air around this team. Even the head coach has acknowledged this (and really doesn’t he have other more important things to worry about?). Understand this, MLSE is a marketing organization. It is all about brand building, merchandising, product placement and the next revenue stream. The precedent has been set with their other properties to bring a savior to right the ship when the waters get too choppy (Burke, Colangelo). They do worry about optics and will make management changes when they feel the Holy Grail is at risk. In many ways, the Leafs excepted, it could be argued that strategically TFC is their most valuable property (a topic for later discussion).

The only possible thing that could save Mo is a playoff spot and a run. And let’s be honest: ain’t gonna happen! Far too many new faces and a bad start to boot. Preki knows this; he views this as at least a two year project and that is why he is managing expectations when he speaks publicly. You will never hear the words “playoffs this year” come out of his mouth.

The way I see this playing out is Mo goes at season’s end. Preki will demonstrate enough progress with the team to warrant him sticking around and the off season will bring us a new Director of Soccer.

GlenM
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Patience - wasn't he who said 4 yrs without playoffs or else he's gone?

Clock is ticking MO.

GlenM

dupont
04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
heh, patience? Like waiting 4 years to make the playoffs isn't enough patience.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM

1) The Hiring of Preki. In his own words after the release of Chris Cummings he said the team absolutely required an experienced MLS coach. That in itself was a public admission of the hiring mistakes he made in the first 3 years of his 5 year plan. Year one: himself (enough said). Year Two: John Carver, a Championship level assistant/one time Premier league assistant with no head coach/manager pedigree other than a couple of caretaking assignments. As much as we all loved Johnny, his greatest attribute/achievement other than his candor was his relationship with Sir Bobby Robson, and his record with TFC speaks for itself. Year Three & A Third: Interim coach Chris Cummings. Another in way over his head. Great with the media, but beyond that, it was an assignment he couldn’t have possibly executed successfully. Almost looks like he was set up to fail (Mo should have stepped in and done the job himself when Carver bailed; but that would have clearly but him in the cross hairs, and we know Mo isn’t no dummy).

2) Player Personnel Decisions. Clearly the reins have been passed to Preki as part of the above hire. This team has been massively over- hauled. All that is left from last year are our two franchise players (DeRo and de Guzman), our 2009 draftees (Frei, White, Cronin), a few work horses (Nana, Barrett), and the development squad (Ibrahim, Gala, the Gambians). This is over a 50% turnover of the roster. These are clearly Preki’s decisions and represent a massive indictment of Mo’s selection and cap management capabilities. If Mo is still in charge, no way he allows these changes; that would signal to all he clearly doesn’t know what he is doing. Preki has effectively cleaned house, publicly discarding what he views as Mo’s mistakes.

3) The Marketing Machine. The building supporter group frustration and anger combined with increasing skepticism in the media (recent Score, Star, Sun pieces questioning the management practices of the team) are creating a pessimistic and negative air around this team. Even the head coach has acknowledged this (and really doesn’t he have other more important things to worry about?). Understand this, MLSE is a marketing organization. It is all about brand building, merchandising, product placement and the next revenue stream. The precedent has been set with their other properties to bring a savior to right the ship when the waters get too choppy (Burke, Colangelo). They do worry about optics and will make management changes when they feel the Holy Grail is at risk. In many ways, the Leafs excepted, it could be argued that strategically TFC is their most valuable property (a topic for later discussion).

The only possible thing that could save Mo is a playoff spot and a run. And let’s be honest: ain’t gonna happen! Far too many new faces and a bad start to boot. Preki knows this; he views this as at least a two year project and that is why he is managing expectations when he speaks publicly. You will never hear the words “playoffs this year” come out of his mouth.

The way I see this playing out is Mo goes at season’s end. Preki will demonstrate enough progress with the team to warrant him sticking around and the off season will bring us a new Director of Soccer.

well said, lets hope it comes to fruition (or better yet, playoffs and Mo gets fired)

DangerRed
04-22-2010, 11:58 AM

No offence, but since you agree it's clear that we're not going to make the playoffs, and since Mo has said himself that he'll be gone at the end of this year if we don't make them, it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out that this is his last year with the team.

What would be more crazy and less likely is that Mo gets tossed before the season's even over. That said, crazier things have happened and I wouldn't put it past Tom Anselmi.

Oldtimer
04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
What would be totally reasonable and responsible on MLSE's part is that Mo gets tossed before the season's even over. That said, occasionally reasonable things have happened and I wouldn't put it past Tom Anselmi.

FYP :D

MFG1
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
^ I would love to see his ass booted out, rather than him resigning after this year. If he is allowed to leave with minimal damage control, then the fans look like the plebes. I am sick of him, his doublespeak, and his cloak and dagger routine. He's an outright douchebag and I would have no problems saying it to his face.

Shoey
04-22-2010, 12:55 PM
No offence, but since you agree it's clear that we're not going to make the playoffs, and since Mo has said himself that he'll be gone at the end of this year if we don't make them, it doesn't exactly take a genius to figure out that this is his last year with the team.

What would be more crazy and less likely is that Mo gets tossed before the season's even over. That said, crazier things have happened and I wouldn't put it past Tom Anselmi.

No offense taken: never been accused of being a genius. The point is, I do not believe for a minute Mo will leave on his own accord despite his public statement. He is a survivor, and we all know he has a problem telling the truth/keeping his word. :D

MLSE will need to fire his ass. And given the incredible drama around this team this season, they will opt to let the season play out before showing him the door. Too bad for us. :(

DangerRed
04-22-2010, 01:37 PM
No offense taken: never been accused of being a genius. The point is, I do not believe for a minute Mo will leave on his own accord despite his public statement. He is a survivor, and we all know he has a problem telling the truth/keeping his word. :D

MLSE will need to fire his ass. And given the incredible drama around this team this season, they will opt to let the season play out before showing him the door. Too bad for us. :(

To be honest, I have no idea what will happen. As you point out, this season and preseason have shown us that virtually anything is possible and nothing is forbidden. I like the line Gerba used in his interview, that "football is the biggest lie."

What is amazing to me is that despite the shambles in which we find ourselves in, the MLSE geniuses decide it's a good idea to have players wear the white kit this Sunday so that they can sell us more shirts.

I said it before, and I'll say it again -- I'm taking the $30 in beer money I drop at every match and spending it beforehand until things change. Yeah, it's a token gesture and I'm just one dude, but I like to think I'm voting with my wallet at least a little.

AL-MO
04-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Can't wait to hear the footy show podcast....KJ is going to rip MOJO a new asshole!!

rocker
04-22-2010, 01:45 PM

If it does happen, I see Preki getting something like Mo's job -- usually a new director of soccer would bring in his own coach, right?

You rightly mention that Preki seems to have a hand in all the personnel moves, so the firing of Mo would be more symbolic than having any real effect on the team. Preki would still have done everything he's done.

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Agreed Rocker. Every move made so far IMO just oozes preki.

DavydMT
04-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Davyd asks TFC to put 10 passes together

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Shaughno asks TFC to play 90 minutes of football, in one single game.

AL-MO
04-22-2010, 01:50 PM
So he is 'asking' us patience.

That is like a request right?

Well......its been

http://sfist.com/attachments/SFist_Brock/Market%20Octavia%20Bike%20Lane%20Removal%20Request %20Denied.jpg

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
LOL

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/AccessDenied.jpg

DichioTFC
04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
http://rubmint.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/48dc3_funny-pictures-cat-has-no-patience.jpg

Moe911
04-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Fire his ass this year was suppose be our year to finally make the playoffs.

Oldtimer
04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
6 pages of anger.

I think MoJo's efforts to calm the situation have worked as well as his roster-building. :D

bgnewf
04-22-2010, 03:43 PM
6 pages of anger.

I think MoJo's efforts to calm the situation have worked as well as his roster-building. :D

I was thinking the same thing...

It certainly appears that nothing less than the following will allow him to keep his job. And even then it might be iffy:

1) Win the Voyageurs

2) Make the playoffs and have a deep run

3) have a deep run in the Champions League

Shaughno
04-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Newf... to be honest, I don't care what he does this year. Even if we win all three... what has MoJo done to make it happen? All he's done is put Preki in a tight spot by fucking things up before he got here. If anything happens this year, it's fully on Preki's shoulders, not Mo's.

IMO Mo needs to go. I don't care if it's now, or the end of the season.

BuSaPuNk
04-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Newf... to be honest, I don't care what he does this year. Even if we win all three... what has MoJo done to make it happen? All he's done is put Preki in a tight spot by fucking things up before he got here. If anything happens this year, it's fully on Preki's shoulders, not Mo's.

IMO Mo needs to go. I don't care if it's now, or the end of the season.

Completely agree Shags.

Any acomplsihment by the team this year will fall completely on Preki. And if we can really do any of the three listed it would be a miracle and not one that MoJo can take any credit for.

TFCUNITED
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
GREAT

:lol:

Made my day.

Antonio Gramsci
04-24-2010, 01:29 PM
So..when does this stop being frustration on a chat board and move on to more public protest?

Beach_Red
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
So..when does this stop being frustration on a chat board and move on to more public protest?

This article gives people plenty of things to protest:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1545656/ (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1545656/)

As it says, TFC was set up to fail.

Or really, it was set up to be profitable with little or no concern for on field success.

DichioTFC
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM

When you buy a ticket to the game and you make a banner saying Mo Must Go.

Antonio Gramsci
04-24-2010, 02:07 PM
When you buy a ticket to the game and you make a banner saying Mo Must Go.

My seats are in the middle of the west side upper deck, which isn't the most effective spot for a sign, even if I thought MLSE wouldn't confiscate it right away (I don't get the sense that MLSE's enthusiasm for home-made tifo extends to things that criticize front-office).

But I'd be happy to organize singing to that effect in my section. I'd be happy to come early to games to demonstrate and leaflet. I'd be happy to contribute to visual tifos other than banners - things that can't be stopped by security and can't be ignored by TV cameras. Releasing black balloons during the games, or showing black cards for instance.

What I was asking is whether others might be prepared to do that kind of thing. And if the answer is "no" or "not yet", how bad do things have to get before people are prepared to do more than grumble?