PDA

View Full Version : Power rankings: behind Philly

jloome
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
http://www.majorleaguesoccer.com/news/article/power-rankings-week-4

Oldtimer
04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Wow. 15 out of 16.

Problem is, I doubt that any of us can argue with this rating.

Edson Buddle has almost twice as many goals as D.C. and Chivas combined. Yikes.

Wow, "Trader Mo" is really looking great here.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Wow...NY has gone from worst to almost first...

So much for the argument of the need for a "5 year plan".

tfc2007
04-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah their really is no disagreeing there.

ArmenJBX
04-21-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't get the Buddle hate, and the fact that everyone seems to blame the trade on Mo. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few people on this board who were shouting for a trade, and they got what they wanted. Now that he's doing well, everyone's tune has changed. Just remember what you wanted...

I'm not a Mo supporter by any means, but this one ain't his fault imo.

trane
04-21-2010, 08:04 PM

Hahahah, I think Mo meant the "5 year relaxing on someone elses dime plan".

Dirk Diggler
04-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't get the Buddle hate, and the fact that everyone seems to blame the trade on Mo. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few people on this board who were shouting for a trade, and they got what they wanted. Now that he's doing well, everyone's tune has changed. Just remember what you wanted...

To be honest, I don't remember a lot of people asking for Buddle to be traded. Yes, while he was in Toronto, he did not perform nearly as well as he is performing in LA but most people were not calling for his head. You might be thinking of Cunningham. Everyone wanted him gone (including me) because for one reason or another, he seemed completely uninterested in playing in Toronto (whatever that reason might be is a separate topic). I remember the first thing he said to media after being traded to TFC was something along the lines of "Can't believe I'm going to be playing in front of all the white people up in Canada now".

Suds
04-21-2010, 08:16 PM

While I agree that anyone calling for Buddle to be traded in the past should eat their words, it does no admonish Mo for the decision.

Mo should not be listening to fans on who should and shouldn't be on the team. That's what he gets paid for. When player moves go wrong the buck stops with him and anyone else on the coaching staff that may have pushed for it.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 08:18 PM

I'd have to agree with this. I can't remember but my guess is at the time I probably was one of those voices that wanted Buddle gone. I can't remember. I do remember not being much of a fan. What we didn't know at the time that the problem with this team wasn't the players, it was the coaching. Now we know.

Put in the right position, right coaching and right tactics, Buddle can succeed.

And you know what? Not to belabour the issue, but I think that is the case with many other players we have ragged on unfairly (except for Barrett, he's had more than enough patience to prove himself). Many players simply weren't given a chance.

Dirk Diggler
04-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Was listening to an interview by the GM of Indy Colts of the NFL and he mentioned that their long term plans usually only stretch 3 years long and that it is not possible to draw up a longer plan because no one has the kind of hindsight to account for all the variables involved in managing a professional sports team so far down the road.

That leads me to believe that if anyone does indeed have a 5 year plan, it is probably something extremely juvenile like "Year 1: Make playoffs, Year 2: Win first round of playoffs, Year 3: Win second round of playoffs ...". Otherwise it is glaringly obvious that "5 year plan" is industry jargon for "I have no clue what I'm doing but I do intend to hold on to this position for at least 5 years".

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Was listening to an interview by the GM of Indy Colts of the NFL and he mentioned that their long term plans usually only stretch 3 years long and that it is not possible to draw up a longer plan because no one has the kind of hindsight to account for all the variables involved in managing a professional sports team so far down the road.

That leads me to believe that if anyone does indeed have a 5 year plan, it is probably something extremely juvenile like "Year 1: Make playoffs, Year 2: Win first round of playoffs, Year 3: Win second round of playoffs ...". Otherwise it is glaringly obvious that "5 year plan" is industry jargon for "I have no clue what I'm doing but I do intend to hold on to this position for at least 5 years".

Someone please send this post to every email that ends with "mapleleafsports.com"...maybe it will find a listening ear.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Having been part of a 5 year plan, it means by year 5 you should have developed a winning culture, a perennial contender.

Bill Polian is right... it should realistically only take you 3 years to build a winning team, not necessarily a contender or have a winning culture.

Let's use the MLS as an example. Year 1 you're an expansion team you should just be expected to compete. By year 2 you should be on the verge of making the playoffs or just make the playoffs. By year 3 there is no question you should be in the playoffs.

You might get lucky and win by year 3 (depending on the base you had to work with) - for example TFC making the playoffs last year going on a run and winning the MLS Cup.

But by years 4 & 5, especially year 5, there shouldn't be any question at the start of the year. If someone asks who is a favourite to win the MLS Cup one of the automatic answers should be TFC that year and for subsequent years.

Question is will TFC be an automatic favourite to win the MLS Cup at the start of the 2011 season?

trane
04-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Mo's five year plan, you should lower expectations and by year five your should just make it to the playoffs, working that little success into another five year contract.

ochos
04-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I gree with pretty much everything being said. I DID want Buddle to stay, as I did many of our players, because I'm not as rash as Mo, or swayed by hot topic opinion which gets the best of all of us sometimes. We've had some great players over the years, players we COULD have built championships around. Buddle, Casey, Nagamura, O'Brien, Marshall, Wynne, Guevara; not naming DeRo and Frei now.. Even Ricketts was dominating in this league - at least a few games before he got figured out.

Mo has obviously got to go - if a big European club team would make that choice then we should obviously do the same. Mo is not going to be the guy to lead this team to the playoffs and be successful.

I've never come on the boards to bash him, but I would definitely support any sort of public protest that asks for his resignation. I think for MLSE to show dignity as an organization they need to rectify the situation by realizing the ultimate choice they have to make, and move on.

ilikemusic
04-21-2010, 10:57 PM

The fact that people bought that shit in the first year was the undoing of this franchise.

MLS is not the NHL or Major League Baseball. You dont need time to build a winner. You can turn things around on a dime in this league.

Mo successfully sold MLSE, and a good portion of the fans/supporters on the myth that he needed time to build a team.

Mo is completely incompetent.

He is not management material. He doesnt have the composure or the knowledge.

He is not leadership material. He doesnt have the character or the vision.

Hes nothing but a snake oil salesman who is simultaneously ruining the team, and the organization's reputation.

volunteer
04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
new motto for TFC's logo: "Better than DC United!"

Yagbod
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
"Questionable additions, constant tinkering, loss after loss: Is Preki this year's Juan Carlos Osorio?"

Ouch! :facepalm:

CretanBull
04-21-2010, 11:35 PM
new motto for TFC's logo: "Better than DC United!"

We might only get to use that for a week though...

James17930
04-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Us fans don't take enough responsibility for the guys we have basically single-handedly run out of town.

Buddle -- we hated on him so much we basically demanded he be gone.
Cunningham -- same thing.
Gerba -- same thing.

Some may have deserved it, but basically we put so much pressure on these guys that they couldn't take it, and now they're thriving in places with less pressure.

Roogsy
04-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Buddle and Cunny I see...but the fans ran Gerba out of town? :noidea:

I know he didn't get much love, but I just don't see the proof anywhere that WE are the ones that caused his departure. That was all Preki.

Whoop
04-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Us fans don't take enough responsibility for the guys we have basically single-handedly run out of town.

Buddle -- we hated on him so much we basically demanded he be gone.
Cunningham -- same thing.
Gerba -- same thing.

Some may have deserved it, but basically we put so much pressure on these guys that they couldn't take it, and now they're thriving in places with less pressure.

I agree with that to a degree...

But too much pressure?... That's a big excuse.

jabbronies
04-22-2010, 08:05 AM
I gree with pretty much everything being said. I DID want Buddle to stay, as I did many of our players, because I'm not as rash as Mo, or swayed by hot topic opinion which gets the best of all of us sometimes. We've had some great players over the years, players we COULD have built championships around. Buddle, Casey, Nagamura, O'Brien, Marshall, Wynne, Guevara; not naming DeRo and Frei now.. Even Ricketts was dominating in this league - at least a few games before he got figured out.

Casey, O'Brien and Nagamura asked to be traded. They didn't want to be here. Guevara left.

As for the Buddle discussion...The guy has Donovan as a strike partner. I'm sure if he didn't, he wouldn't be scoring as many goals as he does.

Parkdale
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
people forget the past. Like jabbronies said - lots of people wanted out of here,
and that's hardly the fault of Mo. Sure there are losses directly credited to Mo (and Preki)
like Serioux and Gerba, but not every player who's left the team faults them.

Oldtimer
04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
But why did Buddle underperform?

Isn't it likely because he didn't like Mo as coach?

Parkdale
04-22-2010, 08:14 AM
As for the Buddle discussion...The guy has Donovan as a strike partner. I'm sure if he didn't, he wouldn't be scoring as many goals as he does.

and there was that guy last year..... what's his name.... the one who can put the ball in the box from anywhere on the field.... you know the guy I mean. Silly hair, even sillier wife.

Parkdale
04-22-2010, 08:18 AM
But why did Buddle underperform?

Isn't it likely because he didn't like Mo as coach?

that's a stretch.

He didn't perform because he played in our first 9 games (when we were a raw expansion team).

NOBODY really 'performed' in those first few games. Dichio maybe. Edu maybe.

(goes to look it up)

we were 3-1-5 in our first 9 games. Clearly there were things that wern't happening. (like scoring)
In LA he's got Donovan (formerly beckham) to fee him the ball. did we have someone like that in
our first 9 games? not really.

Ossington Mental Youth
04-22-2010, 08:22 AM
yep, glad i dont have to make these points (as i have in other threads) i dont feel bad about any of these guys being gone or how they are doing now.

jabbronies
04-22-2010, 08:36 AM
that's a stretch.

He didn't perform because he played in our first 9 games (when we were a raw expansion team).

NOBODY really 'performed' in those first few games. Dichio maybe. Edu maybe.

(goes to look it up)

we were 3-1-5 in our first 9 games. Clearly there were things that wern't happening. (like scoring)
In LA he's got Donovan (formerly beckham) to fee him the ball. did we have someone like that in
our first 9 games? not really.

That record doesn't sound right.

Parkdale
04-22-2010, 08:41 AM
That record doesn't sound right.

maybe I fucked it up.

3 wins - 1 draw - 5 losses.

oh right.... W-L-D. My mistake

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 08:46 AM
people forget the past. Like jabbronies said - lots of people wanted out of here,
and that's hardly the fault of Mo. Sure there are losses directly credited to Mo (and Preki)
like Serioux and Gerba, but not every player who's left the team faults them.

How can you guys not blame Preki for Robbo, Guevara, Edwards, possibly Vitti and I'm probably forgetting someone else.

jabbronies
04-22-2010, 08:46 AM
I think the major problem with all these players coming through our system is that Mo couldn't build around any of the guys that left. It seems that none of them were good enough to build a team around.

Parkdale
04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
How can you guys not blame Preki for Robbo, Guevara, Edwards, possibly Vitti and I'm probably forgetting someone else.

Vitti didn't deserve to stay here.
edwards was okay, but not as good as the other options.

Guevara left because he's captain of a team in the WC.
That kind of takes priority over playing here, wouldn't you say?

not every player who leaves this team is doing it because they hate Mo.
Some of them yes, but not all.

Whoop
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
It doesn't help.

Pachuco
04-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Vitti didn't deserve to stay here.
edwards was okay, but not as good as the other options.

Guevara left because he's captain of a team in the WC.
That kind of takes priority over playing here, wouldn't you say?

not every player who leaves this team is doing it because they hate Mo.
Some of them yes, but not all.

I disagree on all fronts.

I didn't mention Mo in my post, I was talking about Preki.

I'm pretty confident Guevara left because of Preki. He's still playing football, and he isn't playing with the WC squad right now. That should tell you he didn't leave because of the World Cup.

Vitti didn't deserve to stay here? Imagine how bad Vitti is that it's still up in the air as to whether he's been replaced or not. If you are going to take one guy and swap him for someone worst have you accomplished anything? or let's say Peterson turns out to be a decent player like Vitti, you are still in the whole since you've affected team chemistry. I'm not confident Peterson will turn out to be better then Vitti.

Edwards was a quite fine backup barely making any money. Again, risking team chemistry in order to get another backup? what was the point of replacing Edwards? Atleast he's been with the team and knows the guys.

Steve
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM

I didn't mention Mo in my post, I was talking about Preki.

I'm pretty confident Guevara left because of Preki. He's still playing football, and he isn't playing with the WC squad right now. That should tell you he didn't leave because of the World Cup.

Vitti didn't deserve to stay here? Imagine how bad Vitti is that it's still up in the air as to whether he's been replaced or not. If you are going to take one guy and swap him for someone worst have you accomplished anything? or let's say Peterson turns out to be a decent player like Vitti, you are still in the whole since you've affected team chemistry. I'm not confident Peterson will turn out to be better then Vitti.

Edwards was a quite fine backup barely making any money. Again, risking team chemistry in order to get another backup? what was the point of replacing Edwards? Atleast he's been with the team and knows the guys.

Vitti needed to be gone for a salary dump. The only way I could see him staying would be if he took a big cut. Even then, it would have taken a good coach to get him to perform (which I think is the point).

I do agree with the others. It seems like Preki just decided players like Robbo, Guevara (apparently neither are two way midfielders, so Preki doesn't like them), Serioux, Edwards, Gerba, were not "his type of players". I also think that's a valid point about Edwards. Most of the time he stepped in for us last year he was quite solid, and I would say at times an argument could have been made to start him over Frei (though I know I will be crucified for saying that here). There was no point in my mind in dropping him for another backup. That just screamed of Preki wanting "his" players in, and I think moves like that can have a negative impact on the team.

Honestly, I think one of the biggest weaknesses of Preki is he is one dimensional. He can't coach to the team he has, he has to build a team that plays to the way he coaches. Maybe he just has no ability to coach a team outside of a very specific way (two way mids, hard workers, no creative headcases). The problem is, in MLS, it's much harder to build a team you want. Sometimes you have to play to your team's strengths, because moving pieces around isn't always feasible. I mean, this year Mo hasn't pulled any moves we really thought "nice one!" has he? He certainly has before (even if they didn't work out in the end). Maybe that's because other coaches know that before, Mo could wait them out (until they were the ones desperate) while now, they know that certain players aren't "Preki" players, so either we have an expensive, quality, player sitting in the stands, or we let him go for cheap (or free and pay for his salary).

rocker
04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
My theory on the Edwards thing (beyond rumours that he was lazy and Preki didn't like that) was that the new keepers could be signed with a good portion of allocation money lowering their cap hit, while Edwards' salary (while not that high) would be 100% against the cap. So basically you could have 2 keepers for the price of 1 without much dropoff in quality.

Who knows if I'm correct. but keep in mind that in this league a lot of deals are often done not for talent reasons but because of cap/salary considerations. it's not a pure situation where all decisions on players kept or not kept are because of talent/system etc. Sometimes it could be "look, we can get a player 75% as good as Player X for half the price." MLS provokes strange equations sometimes.

Roogsy
04-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Honestly, I think one of the biggest weaknesses of Preki is he is one dimensional. He can't coach to the team he has, he has to build a team that plays to the way he coaches.

This is by far my biggest problem with Preki.

A good coach would have worked with what he had to ensure some consistency and then slowly brought in players that fit his style even more.

You don't blow up a team, go into a season short-handed and start plugging holes willy-nilly on the fly. It's not like what we had last year wasn't something unworkable. I think it needed pieces to be added to it, not completely torn down and rebuilt ensuring another season of poor results and with no guarantees that what he is doing will work.

olegunnar
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM

To me it was a cleansing of all the veterans that were experienced enough to know that Mo is a snake. Experienced enough to know what it's like at other places.

Every one that ever insinuated Mo was a snake, except for St Dero, has been shipped out, and replaced with someone less experienced and cheaper.
The Robbo and Serioux decisions for example were made before the end of last year, but now magically they['re Preki's decisions

That he can blame it on Preki...and his system (whatever it is)...is an added bonus.

Whoop
04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I think Mo will end up blaming Preki.

olegunnar
04-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Honestly, I think one of the biggest weaknesses of Preki is he is one dimensional. He can't coach to the team he has, he has to build a team that plays to the way he coaches.

Whether or not this is true....I believe this will be Mo's excuse.

"He had to totally re-work the roster for Preki"

rocker
04-22-2010, 12:47 PM

A good coach would have worked with what he had to ensure some consistency and then slowly brought in players that fit his style even more.

You don't blow up a team, go into a season short-handed and start plugging holes willy-nilly on the fly. It's not like what we had last year wasn't something unworkable. I think it needed pieces to be added to it, not completely torn down and rebuilt ensuring another season of poor results and with no guarantees that what he is doing will work.

A coach has to be happy with the players he's got.
What if 39 points was the ceiling of last year's team cuz Mo didn't get the mix right?

I think both approaches are valid.

Sigi Schmidt took a team with a slightly lower PPG ratio than TFC's 2009 and gutted it when he came in. He didn't like the players he inherited.
The result? 2 seasons out of the playoffs as he tinkered. But the players he inherited were not the ones that fit his style. By season 3 he produced a cup champion.

Now, TFC already had 3 seasons out of the playoffs, so patience is thin.
But if Preki comes in and doesn't like what he sees, then I have no problem with that (my German soccer coach father was already complaining about Robinson in season 2 and wanted him gone... he also felt Guevara could be lazy and gave effort only when he wanted to give effort... he thought Brennan was a below average LB) So it's not surprising a coach might not like the players he's inherited.

S_D
04-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Well the team had to be blown up. It couldn't be afforded. We needed CB's wingers and at least 1 forward, and over the for this season's cap. Better for Preki to do it now rather than mid way through the season with a shorthanded roster that didn't even have enough players to have an 11v11 scrimmage LOL.

Who knows if the team had reached it's potential last season or not. But we know for sure that what was here wasn't working as it was. Defence was terrible, offense was terrible and we couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a CM. We now have wingers, Garcia is now hopefully glued to the bench, and next season we may have some cash to spend providing Mo isn't allowed to sign any contracts LOL.

rocker
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Well the team had to be blown up. It couldn't be afforded. We needed CB's wingers and at least 1 forward, and over the for this season's cap. Better for Preki to do it now rather than mid way through the season with a shorthanded roster that didn't even have enough players to have an 11v11 scrimmage LOL.

Yes, and Preki has to coach on Preki's terms. Why coach a team with parts brought in by somebody else -- parts you don't like?

It's a gamble, obviously, but if it works, it means Preki gets to work with his kind of players sooner. He has an ego, so he thinks it will work. The jury is still out on that one.

I think what annoys people though is not the blowing it up, but the blowing it up after three bad seasons and the GM is still here. If Preki had arrived on different circumstances, it would be expected he would blow up the roster. It happens all the time in NA sports.

jloome
04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
A coach has to be happy with the players he's got.
What if 39 points was the ceiling of last year's team cuz Mo didn't get the mix right?

I think both approaches are valid.

Sigi Schmidt took a team with a slightly lower PPG ratio than TFC's 2009 and gutted it when he came in. He didn't like the players he inherited.
The result? 2 seasons out of the playoffs as he tinkered. But the players he inherited were not the ones that fit his style. By season 3 he produced a cup champion.

Now, TFC already had 3 seasons out of the playoffs, so patience is thin.
But if Preki comes in and doesn't like what he sees, then I have no problem with that (my German soccer coach father was already complaining about Robinson in season 2 and wanted him gone... he also felt Guevara could be lazy and gave effort only when he wanted to give effort... he thought Brennan was a below average LB) So it's not surprising a coach might not like the players he's inherited.

Yeah, good points.

Beach_Red
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I think what annoys people though is not the blowing it up, but the blowing it up after three bad seasons and the GM is still here. If Preki had arrived on different circumstances, it would be expected he would blow up the roster. It happens all the time in NA sports.

I think you're right. If Mo had been fired last November and Preki brought in to replace him as GM/coach and done exactly what's been done, a lot of people would have more patience with it.

But this way it doesn't look like taking a step back in order to move forward in a different way, it just looks like more of the same.

mastermixer
04-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Agree. It frustrates me to see different guys starting every game so far this year. That's the type of stuff you sort out in pre-season.

TFCRegina
04-22-2010, 07:51 PM
"Questionable additions, constant tinkering, loss after loss: Is Preki this year's Juan Carlos Osorio?"

Ouch! :facepalm:

^ Worry not, that means we have a winning team next year! :flare:

TFCRegina
04-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Yes, there's quite a lot of debate about whether we've found players who can aimlessly run around the pitch, look good for flashes of 30 seconds at a time, hopelessly give away possession and never score a goal with his feet (he only scored with his head when he was here, and that was rare).

James17930
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Buddle and Cunny I see...but the fans ran Gerba out of town? :noidea:

I know he didn't get much love, but I just don't see the proof anywhere that WE are the ones that caused his departure. That was all Preki.

Okay, maybe Gerba wasn't so much the fans -- seems like it was more between him and Preki.

But remember I said some deserved it -- I would say he's one of them. I don't care about his interview -- I agree with Preki's assessment, he's basically useless.

menefreghista
04-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I get tired of hearing the organization makes decisions based on what the fans want.

If the people running this club make decisions based on what is being posted on internet forums this team is being run by people even more incompetent than I first though.

Roogsy
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
If the organization makes decisions based on what the fans want...we'd have a roof and we would have had a striker DP a long time ago.

I call bullshit on the claim that the organization does what the fans want.

Beach_Red
04-23-2010, 04:20 PM
If the organization makes decisions based on what the fans want...we'd have a roof and we would have had a striker DP a long time ago.

I call bullshit on the claim that the organization does what the fans want.

Okay, the organization hears the fans' demands and weighs them against costs. DP striker and a roof - too expensive. Get rid of some players - cheap.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if there was a team in Toronto whose fans didn't pick a few players after each game to blame all the problems on.

J .
04-23-2010, 04:47 PM

The only one we may miss is Guevara